Descending
Limit Results:

614 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    31  ] Older

Valheim
Sep 16, 2021, 12:11
Valheim Sep 16, 2021, 12:11
Sep 16, 2021, 12:11

Yeah, I'm planning to start over in Valheim when the update is released. I'm close to the end game now. I'll just backup my present save game (in case I want to finish it some day) and start over.

I did that recently in Astroneer. After completing it last year, I started over recently after some major updates, and it was fun playing it again.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Re: Game Reviews
Sep 16, 2021, 12:07
Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2021, 12:07
Sep 16, 2021, 12:07

From everything I've read, the major culprit is the way the engine handles VRAM. I'm no fan of DRM, but the fact is that DRM rarely is the cause of performance issues in a game. It's just everyone's favorite target.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Instagram own internal study suggests it leads to teen suicides
Sep 16, 2021, 11:56
Instagram own internal study suggests it leads to teen suicides Sep 16, 2021, 11:56
Sep 16, 2021, 11:56

Honestly, peer pressure when I was in school, pre-social media was bad enough. I can't imagine the ridiculous peer pressure there must be nowadays with social media in the mix.

Re: Evening Multiplex
Sep 16, 2021, 11:52
Re: Evening Multiplex Sep 16, 2021, 11:52
Sep 16, 2021, 11:52

I really did end up enjoying Prey, but it was only after getting stuck in my first playthrough about 60% through, in a situation where I just didn't have the right upgrades and enough ammo to get past a tough boss type battle.

I put the game aside for more than a year, and then played it over from the beginning after reading lots of guides with recommendations for upgrades and skills. Finally finished it, and it was very enjoyable.

Re: Into the Black
Sep 15, 2021, 10:24
Re: Into the Black Sep 15, 2021, 10:24
Sep 15, 2021, 10:24

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 15, 2021, 10:09:
Lawyer arranged his own death in $10 million life insurance scheme
His wife and one of his sons were murdered a couple months ago, so far unsolved.
He embezzled millions from the law firm that bears the family name.
After quitting he announces that he's entering drug treatment.
And now this.

If you read a fiction manuscript and it told this story you'd think it unpublishable.

Yeah, I suspected there was a lot more going on with that story, and I think there will be even more eventually. The whole thing smells rotten. I'm not sure I even buy the life insurance scam angle. I suspect this had more to do with faking an attack to avoid suspicion for his involvement with his wife and son's murder. It'll all come out eventually.

Re: Into the Black
Sep 15, 2021, 10:20
Re: Into the Black Sep 15, 2021, 10:20
Sep 15, 2021, 10:20

I remember Norm more from his early standup. A lot of comedians get defined by what they do later, like tv series, or movies, or SNL stints, and people forget their standup era. His was a dry humor, and it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he was very unique.

Rest in peace, Norm.

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Sep 14, 2021, 10:41
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 14, 2021, 10:41
Sep 14, 2021, 10:41

Kxmode wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 21:42:
Bent wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 23:50:
Yeah, about ready to give up on Firefox and try Brave.

Based on my experience using Brave for a couple of weeks, a lot of sites broke. It wasn't Brave's fault. The websites broke because Brave blocked things the website was trying to load/use. I appreciate what Brave is trying to do, but its approach to privacy is like using a jackhammer to unclog a toilet.

Oh Brave breaks everything. I just disable their protection system and use the uBlock Origin and CSS Exfil protection addons.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2021, 14:00.

Sep 13, 2021, 12:20
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 13, 2021, 12:20
Sep 13, 2021, 12:20

Bent wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 12:16:
Hm.

Firefox does get faster after the first start after booting the computer. And I wait until all of the other processes settle down for a while before even trying to start Firefox the first time.

Part of the issue might be my antivirus. Although Task Manager claims that it's mainly Firefox using full disk capacity. It can take over a minute before Firefox is fully loaded and usable for that first launch. Sometimes well over a minute.

My antivirus also has an obnoxious habit of waiting exactly until I try to connect to my VPN before deciding update. Even if I wait half an hour before trying. I'm sure it's just coincidence that they also keep trying to sell me their own VPN service...

Maybe it's just time to switch antivirus.

FF Fires up instantly for me, even on older systems. Granted I only run built-in Defender.

I would at least try disabling AV to see if that affects it. Wouldn't be the first time I saw AV slow down the load process for an app. Modern browsers run in several threads with several background processes nowadays, and that just multiplies the time AV spends examining it.

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Sep 13, 2021, 10:15
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 13, 2021, 10:15
Sep 13, 2021, 10:15

I'm not an iOS user, and don't imagine I will ever be, but I'm glad Apple gets to keep it's walled garden app store (for now anyway). I tell non techie friends to buy Apple phones, explicitly because there is more inherent security.

Side loading, and full access to the file system is why I, as a techie, love Android, but I accept and understand the fact that Android is like the wild west, and you have to be careful. I cringe when I see non techie clients and friends using Android and having literally hundreds of apps installed, seemly on a whim, and they wonder why their phone is running slow and/or is compromised.

Opening up Apple apps to alternative payment systems seems fair, but I'm happy that Epic's obvious attempt at bullying Apple into completely opening the app store got squashed. Anyone want to bet there's code laying around somewhere for an Epic App Store that got shelved last week?

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Sep 13, 2021, 10:00
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2021, 10:00
Sep 13, 2021, 10:00

MrBone wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 07:46:
That 11 article was incredibly useless.

^
What he said.

Sep 13, 2021, 09:46
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 13, 2021, 09:46
Sep 13, 2021, 09:46

Firefox has been my primary browser for around 15 years. I'm also a Thunderbird user. Yeah, I have not liked some of the changes but I roll with them. Biggest reason I stick with Firefox is there's an extension to put the tabs on the left as a tree (Tree Style Tab by Piro). My work flow has me keeping a LOT of tabs open, and they get unreadable up top. I think Chrome finally got side tab functionality recently, I heard. Only other extensions I use are uBlock Origin and CSS Exfil protection. Less is best when it comes to extensions, both for performance and security.

I use Brave for my Google accounts only, with the same two extensions as mentioned above. This just stays open all the time with Contacts, Calendar, Gmail, Maps and SMS open, synced to my Android phone account. I don't use it for browsing, just for Google Android services.

Chrome is installed, but basically as a backup for pages that don't like to print properly from Firefox, or the rare page that occasionally has some java code that doesn't play totally nice with Firefox.

I do use Chromium Edge on my Surface tablets. It's by far, the best touch screen browser experience. Also running the same two extensions as I run on Firefox and Brave.

I would hate to see Firefox go away, not just because it's my primary browser (to be honest, I could learn to live with a Chromium based alternative), but mainly because it's not a good thing that almost all the other browsers out there are built on the same (Chromium) engine, and thus share any common flaws.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 11, 2021, 16:03
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 16:03
Sep 11, 2021, 16:03

Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2021, 15:50:
Anyone else catch Kate on Netflix yet? I did last night and thought it was quite good. Tight, good pacing, good action sequences. MEW was way better than I thought she'd be. Right on par with Atomic Blonde and Le Femme Nikita for female lead action flicks.

Kate's on my to-watch list. Thanks for the review.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 11, 2021, 09:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 09:40
Sep 11, 2021, 09:40

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 11, 2021, 07:47:
My bad side wishes that Fla cop had just ignored the drunk on the golf cart on the highspeed thruway at dusk.
Let Darwin do it's job, but then even worst of us deserve compassion.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could be so drunk, that you accidently get on the turnpike. There's a toll plaza, although granted they're automated now, but they're lit up like Vegas with lots of signs.

She would also have to have driven on non golf cart roads for around five miles to get to the turnpike on ramp.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2021, 10:18
Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 10, 2021, 10:18
Sep 10, 2021, 10:18

And to remember the solemn occasion of the 20th anniversary of 9/11, and those who lost their lives, 45 is going to provide commentary for a boxing match.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Sep 10, 2021, 10:00
Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2021, 10:00
Sep 10, 2021, 10:00

Not thrilled about the time travel element in the next Picard season, but I'll watch it. Especially for Q. I've just always felt that time travel stories are often a bad writer's crutch, although it's been done well in several series episodes and movies.

I am more interested in Star Trek Strange New Worlds. I really liked the actors playing the Pike and the old crew of the Enterprise, and I'm glad they got a spinoff. There was some really good character interplay between them. If you haven't seen the 'Short Trek' with a young Ensign Spock first arriving on the Enterprise, and getting trapped in a turbo lift with Number One, that was priceless.

Re: Battling Bugs
Sep 10, 2021, 09:30
Re: Battling Bugs Sep 10, 2021, 09:30
Sep 10, 2021, 09:30

It seems like every day there's a news post here starting with "Ridiculous Warzone Glitch". Is the game really this badly broken? I wouldn't know as I long since gave up on COD games, and I'm no fan of Battle Royale.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Sep 9, 2021, 08:00
Hardspace: Shipbreaker Sep 9, 2021, 08:00
Sep 9, 2021, 08:00

I'm 2 or 3 versions behind on Shipbreaker. Need to fire this up tonight and check it out.

Re: Evening Safety Dance
Sep 8, 2021, 10:30
Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 8, 2021, 10:30
Sep 8, 2021, 10:30

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 20:50:
Ugh, so the best they can do is recommend that people use TOR?

ProtonMail also operates a VPN service called ProtonVPN and points out that Swiss law prohibits the country's courts from compelling a VPN service to log IP addresses. In theory, if Youth for Climate had used ProtonVPN to access ProtonMail, the Swiss court could not have forced the service to expose its "real" IP address. However, the company seems to be leaning more heavily toward recommending Tor for this particular purpose.

I've been paying for ProtonVPN for over a year now. Something I was happy to do in order to support them, but now that they've caved that's over. So is it just going to be whackamole with these companies that you use their service until they're compelled to turn over data or are there any email and/or VPN companies that are secure and situated somewhere they can't be compelled to turn over data - Antarctica? international waters? space? I really don't want to have to deal with another client - TOR - in order to have some privacy online.

According to the article, the law the Swiss courts used only applies to email. VPNs are immune to any court order under Swiss law (for now). Proton Mail doesn't log IPs by default, but under Swiss law can be compelled to log a select individual's IP under court order. It sounds like they had no legal choice.

But ultimately, every VPN company is subject to the laws of it's country.

As Steve Gibson likes to say, the only way to REALLY have a secure conversation with someone is under a blanket, in the middle of an open field, with both of you naked to confirm you're not carrying a recording device. Everything else involves some compromise of security.

Airplane Tunnel Stunt
Sep 7, 2021, 10:12
Airplane Tunnel Stunt Sep 7, 2021, 10:12
Sep 7, 2021, 10:12

Okay, that airplane stunt was ballsy as hell. Not so much the taking off in the first tunnel. But the man has balls of steel entering that second tunnel. I'd be concerned about a side gust between tunnels, and gusts coming into the tunnel.

Bird of prey plucks shark from ocean
Sep 7, 2021, 10:04
Bird of prey plucks shark from ocean Sep 7, 2021, 10:04
Sep 7, 2021, 10:04

The first thing I thought of was the baby shark song, and sure enough second twitter post was someone who dubbed it in.
614 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    31  ] Older