Total Posts
1283 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1283 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    65  ] Older

Re: OotB: Bugger
Oct 7, 2022, 09:03
Re: OotB: Bugger Oct 7, 2022, 09:03
Oct 7, 2022, 09:03

Bent wrote on Oct 6, 2022, 12:31:
Alec Baldwin settles lawsuit on "Rust" cinematographer's death.

I'm still baffled as to why the woman working as the gun wrangler doesn't get the blame. She had one job which was to prevent this sort of thing. Did they change the original story which was that she incorrectly handed him a gun loaded with real bullets? There should never have been real bullets on set.

She had quite a long history of screw ups and incidents. One thing that could be pinned on the film makers is the fact that they hired her in the first place with a record like that. She should never have been brought on the set. On her previous film working as agun wrangler, Nicolas Cage walked off the set because of her.

The assistant director also had a long list of previous safety issues.

I stopped following it much, though. Too disgusted with most of the reporting. Easier to get clicks if they blame a celebrity. Maybe I missed something new.

Edit: Ok, this article is a little better at spreading the blame around than most of media has been.

The MAGAsphere is going apeshit over this because they're misreading the headline, and they think charges were dropped (the MAGA crowd hates Baldwin for his SNL impersonations of the Orange One and would love to see him go to prison).

This was a civil suit, brought by the cinematographer's family against Baldwin (who is a producer as well as the lead actor), and the production company.

There is still a criminal investigation in progress.

Having worked on TV productions as a stagehand in the 80s, I can tell you IMO Baldwin should not have pointed a gun in the direction of a person, and he may personally face some liability. However, I can tell you that even though it's not supposed to happen, actors point guns at people all the time. The actors on Miami Vice were pretty damn casual with guns.

The major liability will likely fall on the poor safety practices of the production company, and the armorer who is ultimately responsible for the safety of all weapons on a production, and should have both checked the ammo and made sure there was no debris (like a detached bullet slug) in the barrel. No, there should never be live ammo on a set, but the reality is the actors and crew usually do some target practice with live ammo for fun during off times, and so rules are broken.

And no, the MAGA crowd claiming Baldwin should have checked his gun for live ammo is nonsense. It doesn't work that way. Just before a scene or rehearsal the armorer hands you the gun. The armorer doesn't want you tampering with that gun either. You take the gun, you do the scene, you return the gun. Imagine a film with modern weapons: Is Dwayne Johnson supposed to remove every bullet from the clip in his gun and check them for crimped primers, and then load them all back in the clip while the crew sits there waiting?
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Re: Intel Arc 7 Review Roundup
Oct 6, 2022, 09:38
Re: Intel Arc 7 Review Roundup Oct 6, 2022, 09:38
Oct 6, 2022, 09:38

Oh I wouldn't recommend someone buy one right now, unless they're on a tight budget and willing to be a first adopter, but if they can improve the performance in older games, it could certainly be a viable alternative to the big boys.

Let's also be realistic here, while the performance in older games is bad COMPARED TO AMD AND NVIDIA, these games are still completely playable on Intel. These are OLD game engines. The Intel cards are still getting 275 FPS at 1440p in CS GO, which is plenty fine. So is it really important that a 3060 can hit 500 fps in that game?

I suspect we're also going to start seeing these things in budget OEM builds, which is certainly better than onboard video for gamers.

Oct 5, 2022, 19:07
Re: Intel Arc 7 Review Roundup Oct 5, 2022, 19:07
Oct 5, 2022, 19:07

Simon Says wrote on Oct 5, 2022, 18:55:
It's a shame, the hardware itself looks promising, but the drivers just can't keep up.

And that CS:GO performance is very concerning, as if it was butting against a nasty bottleneck and we have no idea if it's a hardware or software bottleneck.

Machine learning performance is nice tho, if I used Topaz Video Enhance AI more than I currently do and I didn't have a 3070 already, the A770 would be a tempting choice for this specific task.

Well the fact that the performance in Vulkan and DX12 is on par with the 3060 means that it's not a hardware issue. The hardware is fine. Intel has openly admitted they have been concentrating on Vulkan and DX12 performance first. So, given time, CS GO and other older engines using DX9 and 11, should see improvements as they tweak the drivers.

Oct 5, 2022, 12:56
Re: Intel Arc 7 Review Roundup Oct 5, 2022, 12:56
Oct 5, 2022, 12:56

I've watched the Hardware Canucks, Linus, and Gamers Nexus reviews. The card is potentially a winner BUT the problem is driver support for older titles. Games running Vulcan and DX12 perform comparable to a 3060, and for less money. That's good.

The problem is most people play games that run on the older DX9 and 11 APIs, and the driver optimization for these APIs is abysmal right now. CS GO, for instance, runs at half to 1/3 of the framerate of a 3060. That's awful.

So it's not a hardware issue. The hardware is good. Kudos to Intel for coming out with good hardware at a reasonable price. But there's a long road ahead for them to tweak the drivers for older APIs. The hope is they eventually will, and yes that makes for good competition and a win for gamers.

They can get there, it will just take time. Driver optimization is a dark art, and it's going to take a while for Intel to figure it out.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Oct 5, 2022, 11:24
Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 5, 2022, 11:24
Oct 5, 2022, 11:24

Another interesting twist on this deal:

Banks financing Musk's Twitter deal face hefty losses
Link

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Oct 4, 2022, 17:53
Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2022, 17:53
Oct 4, 2022, 17:53

Schkorpio wrote on Oct 3, 2022, 19:56:
Congrats Intel, you've beaten a 3 year old mid range GPU which will be obsolete in about 3 weeks...

Perhaps these will be good for business users that need extra grunt.

3060 is a fine mid range GPU, and yes it's hard. Intel is learning that drivers are very hard to do properly, and they are the secret sauce that actually makes it work.

Most gamers aren't spending money on high end cards, so having more options in this category is a good thing. Not everyone has a 4K monitor.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 4, 2022, 17:41
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 4, 2022, 17:41
Oct 4, 2022, 17:41

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 3, 2022, 13:04:
KK received $250,000 for advertising the cryptocurrency.
More fines need this ratio.

She settled with the SEC but is still facing a class action, along with others who promoted it for pay, from people who bought into the scam.
---
Youtube is unwatchable without an ad blocker. I sometimes accidently try to watch a YouTube video on their app instead of my browser on my phone, and God what a horrible experience.

I mainly watch on my tablet in Edge or on my workstation in Firefox, and I have UBlock Origin running which blocks all that crap.

I have no problem with people promoting THEMSELVES with in video promotions. Most of the people I follow are pretty good about that and keep the sponsorship short, and usually at the beginning or the end. Any channels I watch regularly, I just rip to MP4 using AVC and put on my server to watch with Media Center on my TVs, and I never get the ads.

I do support several creators on Patreon, and most of them have ad free versions of their videos on Nebula, which I subscribe to (cheap subscription bundled with Discovery+).

Re: OotB: Nerd alert!
Oct 4, 2022, 16:57
Re: OotB: Nerd alert! Oct 4, 2022, 16:57
Oct 4, 2022, 16:57

Oooo! Nice tip Blue! Never knew that. I copy paste a lot of URLs. That will come in handy.
--
I have a cat, Sam, who used to be an outdoor cat. She was a tree climber, and terrorized our squirrels. I've seen her climb to amazing heights.

Finally, she climbed too high, like Icarus, and shattered her left rear leg. Took us days to find her as cats tend to hide when injured, but 4 days later, after assuming she'd run off and maybe got hit by a car, she crawled out of wherever she was hiding and called to me when I was working outside.

The x-rays were frightening, The leg bone was shattered into dozens of pieces. Options were amputation or reconstruction. We opted for reconstruction. They wound up putting a metal rod and several pins in her leg. We made her into an indoor cat after that. She can walk and run perfectly fine, and is approaching age 15. We call her the bionic kitty now,

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2022, 17:09.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Oct 4, 2022, 16:44
Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 4, 2022, 16:44
Oct 4, 2022, 16:44

Heck, Chinese crypto miners will probably sell their GPUs to Russians for a premium.

---
Oh god, that Austin Ekeler gaming PC has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen....

Re: Dead Space Remake Details
Oct 4, 2022, 16:36
Re: Dead Space Remake Details Oct 4, 2022, 16:36
Oct 4, 2022, 16:36

It's supposed to have Ray Tracing, but implementation is everything. I've seen a lot of games with poorly done rah tracing. Control was an exception - ray tracing made a huge difference in that game.

I agree, this is a game that would greatly benefit from it, if it's done right.

Re: OotB: Not harmless
Oct 3, 2022, 12:01
Re: OotB: Not harmless Oct 3, 2022, 12:01
Oct 3, 2022, 12:01

WaltSee wrote on Oct 2, 2022, 12:53:
Pallais wrote on Oct 2, 2022, 12:42:
Ah, the No One Lives Forever series. Two games I wish someone could untangle the rights mess to, so that they could either end up on GoG or get a modernized version a la Nightdive. I may need to go replay them now. Thanks for the nostalgia hit!

http://nolfrevival.tk/

I've had these installed for awhile--they run fine in Win10/11. I haven't seen anything fishy about them, yet...seem fine. the site has been up for years, so apparently no one is claiming copyright.

Okay, I'd love to replay these classics. I looked into that link Walt gave us. Seems legit. They covered it on RockPaperShotgun.com:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/no-one-will-sell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it

Some anonymous heroes are not only risking the wraths of all involved by distributing both games, for free, but are putting out patched versions that'll run on your snazzy new PC, even in resolutions like 3440x1440 - I know, cos I just played it like that. And gosh, NOLF2 looks good in HD!

Going to get myself some NOLF love tonight! Thanks Walt!

---
Hmm. Direct HTTP download redirects to a sketchy Torrent link but the Mega download works. Ran the NOLF installer through VirusTotal and it passes, but use at your own risk.

Re: OotB: You've been warned
Oct 2, 2022, 10:17
Re: OotB: You've been warned Oct 2, 2022, 10:17
Oct 2, 2022, 10:17

I watched Optimus reveal video. You should too... It was more embarassing than the Cyber truck widow fiasco.

Underwhelming is the term that best describes it. After seeing years of Boston Dynamics robots doing amazing things, the big Optimus reveal was a complete yawn. They wanted it to come out untethered, but the little jig and wave routine it did was pretty short and unimpressive (I'm guessing the very small battery in there couldn't handle much more), and then they show videos of it doing some more complex and practical things, but fully tethered for power.

If Skynet comes into being, it's more likely to kill us with Boston Dynamic's Spot, rather than this thing.

All I give him credit for is the artistic design. It IS a pretty robot, but I can't see how they can pack enough energy in that skinny chassis to make it practical unless they're also working on small fusion power plants.

Highlight video here: https://youtu.be/Gm6dZ1q06ks

Re: Bungie and IO Interactive Seeking Stadia Solutions
Oct 2, 2022, 09:42
Re: Bungie and IO Interactive Seeking Stadia Solutions Oct 2, 2022, 09:42
Oct 2, 2022, 09:42

If you go to Stadia's web site, they are still offering free 1 month trials, with $10 a month after.

Guess someone didn't get the memo.

Re: Elon Musk's Texts
Oct 1, 2022, 16:59
Re: Elon Musk's Texts Oct 1, 2022, 16:59
Oct 1, 2022, 16:59

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 1, 2022, 10:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 30, 2022, 22:13:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 30, 2022, 21:23:
Fascinating article.
Musk apologists/cheerleaders are diminishing by the hour.
There is absolutely nothing in that article I found surprising.

What I found interesting was his texts with Jason Calacanis. I listen to Jason & Molly Wood's podcast, and yeah, when Musk announced the purchase, Molly expressed a lot of doubts (not a Musk fan) but Calacanis was just fawning over Musk and going on and on about how he knows Musk well, and he knows exactly what he's what he's planning to do with Twitter. AAAAND the plan he laid out is apparently exactly what he was telling Musk he should do in those texts, not what Musk was actually planning.

I thought at the time he was WAY too team Musk, and I guess now I know. He was planning on riding on his coat tails.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Oct 1, 2022, 08:22
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2022, 08:22
Oct 1, 2022, 08:22

I stick to Asus boards.

Elon Musk's Texts
Sep 30, 2022, 21:23
Elon Musk's Texts Sep 30, 2022, 21:23
Sep 30, 2022, 21:23

Fascinating article.

Re: OotB: The same old grind
Sep 29, 2022, 19:26
Re: OotB: The same old grind Sep 29, 2022, 19:26
Sep 29, 2022, 19:26

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2022, 16:38:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 29, 2022, 12:41:
Weather reporter hit by tree branch:

That's Jim Cantore. Those of us un hurricane country like to joke that when you see Jim doing a live remote, that's the for sure indicator the storm is serious and you need to baton down the hatches.

I used to mock these Weather channel reporters who would stand in dangerous places while telling you to stay home, but I have come to believe they serve an important purpose. People ARE stupid and WILL venture out into dangerous weather conditions, because we're curious humans. Watching the weather channel peeps get bruised and battered at least satisfies that itch of going outside to see what's happening. I guess in some respects it's the first reality TV show.

I was actually watching live when that happened, and I thought to myself, well yeah, Jim just took one in the shins for all of us. I'm not going out there.
How you holding up? Did the generator see any use?
*RARE* first person view of storm surge. This camera is 6 feet off the ground on Estero Blvd in Fort Myers Beach, FL. Not sure how much longer it keeps working.
Spoiler, it goes under water.

Never lost power until this afternoon, long after the storm passed. Looks, like it was just my street. So maybe someone hit a pole, or a branch fell on a line. Generator kicked in for 2 hours while they fixed it. I half expected to be out of power for a while since I assumed a lot of the focus would be in the devastated areas to the south. However, we have a great electrical coop (SECO), and they are always quick to respond.

Re: OotB: The same old grind
Sep 29, 2022, 12:41
Re: OotB: The same old grind Sep 29, 2022, 12:41
Sep 29, 2022, 12:41

Weather reporter hit by tree branch:

That's Jim Cantore. Those of us un hurricane country like to joke that when you see Jim doing a live remote, that's the for sure indicator the storm is serious and you need to baton down the hatches.

I used to mock these Weather channel reporters who would stand in dangerous places while telling you to stay home, but I have come to believe they serve an important purpose. People ARE stupid and WILL venture out into dangerous weather conditions, because we're curious humans. Watching the weather channel peeps get bruised and battered at least satisfies that itch of going outside to see what's happening. I guess in some respects it's the first reality TV show.

I was actually watching live when that happened, and I thought to myself, well yeah, Jim just took one in the shins for all of us. I'm not going out there.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Sep 29, 2022, 12:34
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2022, 12:34
Sep 29, 2022, 12:34

Oracle fine: I love how these companies never have to admit or deny anything. They just pay the fine, and can tell their shareholders that there was no basis for it, but it was cheaper to pay the fine.

Maybe the SEC should start making an admission of guilt part of the penalty.

Hurricane Ian
Sep 29, 2022, 12:19
Hurricane Ian Sep 29, 2022, 12:19
Sep 29, 2022, 12:19

Storm is past for me, just drizzling now. No major issues here so far. I'm sure there's some roads and parking lots flooded in town, but no trees down on my ranch, just a few branches.

I don't think the wind ever got over 40 MPH with maybe 50 MPH gusts, which is a regular afternoon thunder storm for us around here.

Never lost power, although Internet was a little jumpy last night while I was gaming with some friends.

Now the pain in the ass of taking down the shutters.

Looking real bad in areas south of me, though, especially the west coast where it made landfall. Saw some footage from a web camera mounted in the main street of a town in that area. The camera was mounted nine feet high and it went underwater before going off line.

Hey, who was that guy here who posted a couple of weeks ago that we didn't get any hurricanes this year, and so much for global warming? I think he jinxed us
1283 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    65  ] Older