Total Posts
3201 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3201 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    161  ] Older

Re: Epic Asks Court to Return Fortnite to the App Store
Sep 5, 2020, 18:16
Re: Epic Asks Court to Return Fortnite to the App Store Sep 5, 2020, 18:16
Sep 5, 2020, 18:16

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2020, 16:40:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 5, 2020, 16:21:
[. Here's a hint: One of them is used on 25% of the devices in that category, one of them is used on 87% of the devices in that category. There's a reason that Microsoft was accused of illegally maintaining a monopoly position.

Unsure where you get 25%, but Apple is about 50% of devices in the US (where this lawsuit stands), and it's about 75% of app spending in the US. That last part is key. One company is the gateway to 75% of the spend.

I was using global figures, but if you want to use US only, ok, Apple has 48% usage for iOS, where Windows still has 87%. One having less than half and one having a near exclusivity are not comparable. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft doesn't manufacture PCs, so can't claim to be only making software for their own hardware. Not to mention that the number of app purchases on Apple devices is largely irrelevant as long as there is viable competition in the mobile phone market - which, again, given they have less than 50% market share there definitely is. If Microsoft were to force all Windows app purchases to go through them, do you really think that the existence of Linux or Mac PCs would be sufficient to not constitute a monopoly?

Re: Epic Asks Court to Return Fortnite to the App Store
Sep 5, 2020, 16:21
Re: Epic Asks Court to Return Fortnite to the App Store Sep 5, 2020, 16:21
Sep 5, 2020, 16:21

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2020, 15:41:
I guess, what I'm saying, is that there's a handful here that routinely determine business or legal outcomes based upon their hopes and dreams rather than looking at evidence and precedent and applying it to the situation at hand.

But if Apple is totally ok here, it would set a nice precedent for Microsoft to say that all Windows software has to go through a Store they create and take a cut of. I think that would be an utterly disastrous business decision, but if iOS can lock itself down to anyone not paying Apple 30%, I can't think of a single reason why Microsoft couldn't legally do the same.

I like how you say that you want to use "evidence" and "precedent", but then pretend that the situation with iOS and Windows is identical, so they could both operate in the same fashion. Here's a hint: One of them is used on 25% of the devices in that category, one of them is used on 87% of the devices in that category. There's a reason that Microsoft was accused of illegally maintaining a monopoly position.

Fourth, the public interest favors entry of an injunction that would prevent substantial harm to millions of third parties, including Fortnite users as well as game developers and others who rely on Epic’s Unreal Engine

This one is just priceless. I can just imagine all of the "substantial harm" that is being inflicted on Fortnite users. Not to mention the fact that having or not having Fortnite on the iOS store doesn't impact (other) game developers or those "who rely on Epic's Unreal Engine". Of course, I doubt Epic thinks this will succeed at all, so it's all irrelevant - this is just one of the motions you file in a case like this. No one really expects it to work, but you do it anyway, "just in case".

Re: Microsoft Backs Epic in Apple Dispute
Aug 23, 2020, 17:59
Re: Microsoft Backs Epic in Apple Dispute Aug 23, 2020, 17:59
Aug 23, 2020, 17:59

WaltC wrote on Aug 23, 2020, 17:26:
[
According to Spencer, they have filed an official statement with the court backing Epic in this dispute...

"Today we filed a statement in support of Epic's request to keep access to the Apple SDK for its Unreal Engine. Ensuring that Epic has access to the latest Apple technology is the right thing for gamer developers & gamers https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus"

Ok, and I have bolded the relevant bit. As I said, it has nothing to do with the royalties issue at all.

Re: Microsoft Backs Epic in Apple Dispute
Aug 23, 2020, 16:58
Re: Microsoft Backs Epic in Apple Dispute Aug 23, 2020, 16:58
Aug 23, 2020, 16:58

The description here is a bit disingenuous, Microsoft isn't supporting Epic in their lawsuit over store royalties, they are chastising Apple for a perceived overreaction in removing Epic's access to Apple's SDK. Microsoft uses Unreal Engine for some of their games, and they don't want to lose access to Apple devices for their games. They aren't speaking at all to whether Apple is justified in the cut they take for apps, or whether Epic should get a favourable deal.

Re: Valve to Sponsor Game Devs of Color Expo
Jun 17, 2020, 18:44
Re: Valve to Sponsor Game Devs of Color Expo Jun 17, 2020, 18:44
Jun 17, 2020, 18:44

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 17, 2020, 16:48:
THIS! So as a gay guy do I get to go whine and complain until something is given to me because of injustice or inequality? Of course not, I'd have to work my ass off, commit myself to the craft to get anywhere. This is the same in ANY FUCKING FIELD. Getting really tired of this "diversity hiring" mentality that is going on. Ya don't see me going to the NFL and whining about lack of gay guys playing football and expect to be signed to a team, expected to be played every game. Those people EARNED their spot on the team.

As for Valve doing anything or not saying anything about Black Lives Matters then so what? It's their fucking company. You had these indie developers whining about Valve not saying anything and pulling a "I'm taking my ball and going home" bullshit routine when in all honesty... their ball sucked, and their attitude sucked, and if it was a game I wouldn't pick them last, I wouldn't pick them at all.

I think you are really undervaluing the idea of role models. If a black kid is growing up, and is thinking "wouldn't it be cool to be a game developer", and starts looking into it, but finds time after time that they don't see any black developers, how do you think that makes them feel? Are they more or less likely, in your opinion, to want to "work their ass off"? And that doesn't take into account unconscious bias - if you are a game publisher, and the majority of the games you publish are developed by white developers, how likely are you to assume that developers being white is "normal"? How likely are you to want to take a risk on a black developer if you don't have that unconscious assumption of competence?

There are a lot of factors that play into success beyond simply "working your ass off". Be it advantages you get early, or less obstacles in your way later, it's easy to come to the conclusion that that's just "normal". That people "earned their spot on the team". But for a lot of PoC, it's not normal, and "earning" a spot is a lot harder than it is for white people. What is nice is that expos like this can help to normalize things so that everyone gets an equal shot.

Re: etc., etc.
Jun 10, 2020, 23:32
Re: etc., etc. Jun 10, 2020, 23:32
Jun 10, 2020, 23:32

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2020, 21:11:
Riot Games, proving again that they are a beacon of tolerance and virtue.

Not sure why the whole company gets trashed over one guy - especially one who was only hired last December. Before that he was a VP at Viacom, MTV, Nickelodeon, and Walmart, do we get to yell at all those companies too? If Riot handles this appropriately, that's really all they can do - they can't thought police all their employees.

Re: Deep Rock Galactic Leaves Early Access
May 13, 2020, 12:49
Re: Deep Rock Galactic Leaves Early Access May 13, 2020, 12:49
May 13, 2020, 12:49

When you play solo you get a little flying bot that helps you out. It can mine stuff for you (that you target), will defend you, and can revive you (a limited number of times) if you go down. It's not quite as good as having other players, but it's still very playable.

Re: VALORANT Anti-Cheat Driver Explained
Apr 14, 2020, 02:23
Re: VALORANT Anti-Cheat Driver Explained Apr 14, 2020, 02:23
Apr 14, 2020, 02:23

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 13, 2020, 19:21:
@Bhruic - you do realize that the bug is related to a piece of software that nobody wants as an anti-cheat mechanic in the game, right?

I imagine a lot of people that play the game want the game to be cheat-free, so saying "nobody" wants it is rather suspect. But ignoring that, thank you for admitting that it is, in fact, a bug. Now that you've admitted that, I'm sure that you are perfectly happy with the fact that they removed the thread about a bug because it should have been posted in, you know, the bug thread. I mean, of course not, you've got paranoid conspiracy theories to chase, but still.

You think Tencent is going to allow any discourse about their game on a website that they own part of? HAHAHA! Yeah, sure they will!

Yeah, they've totally shut down everything on it. I'm sure they don't have a mega bug thread where there are multiple posts about people having the very issue your deleted thread mentioned.

Oh, wait, what's this? https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/fwjskd/valorant_closed_beta_bug_megathread/

Lets see if in a few days, weeks etc.. that this level 0 software concern is still around and discussed openly, or is the moderators who Tencent/Riot chose will decide what people get to discuss on a user-generated content website.

Ah, yes, after I disproved your little pet "Tencent chose the moderators" theory, you are still riding it. A true conspiracy theorist through-and-through. Please, tell us all about how the moon landing was a hoax.

Re: VALORANT Anti-Cheat Driver Explained
Apr 13, 2020, 18:40
Re: VALORANT Anti-Cheat Driver Explained Apr 13, 2020, 18:40
Apr 13, 2020, 18:40

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 13, 2020, 17:01:
Blue wrote on Apr 13, 2020, 16:03:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 13, 2020, 15:19:
On reddit, the post was nuked and moved because

I do not see that the post was nuked or moved in any way.

Blue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/g08aub/riots_anticheat_software_vanguard_is_causing/

they moved it to the bug megathread.
As if this is a bug? It's 100% intentionally a design decision, and now the information is mixed in with bugs and no longer a standalone issue. This makes it appear to be something that will be fixed and wasnt supposed to happen. You catching on the agenda there?

Also, that subreddit is moderated by people that Tencent chose to run it as "trusted moderators". AKA- people who will do what we tell them. It's entirely counterproductive to a user-run website to have owners of a product moderating the content.. we can all agree there.

I know you won't believe anything I say, as you are deep in your conspiracy theories, but you are, sadly, wrong. First off, it is a bug, because the title of that post is "Riot's Anti-Cheat software Vanguard is causing frame drops in all my games, including Valorant making them unplayable with the software installed.", and you suggesting that causing frame drops in all games is an intentional design decision is ludicrous. If Vanguard is causing frame issues, it's definitely a bug, and definitely something that (hopefully) will be fixed.

Second, the idea that the moderators were "chosen" by Tencent is laughable. The people moderating /r/Valorant are, by-and-large, people who moderate /r/leagueoflegends. They have been moderating that for longer than Tencent has had any stake in Riot Games. The only way what you are suggesting could be true is if Tencent somehow chose them to be moderators before investing in Riot Games at all, which again is ludicrous. Furthermore, none of the moderators work for Riot Games or Tencent. So the owners of the product most certainly do not moderate the content.

Re: etc.
Mar 13, 2020, 11:35
Re: etc. Mar 13, 2020, 11:35
Mar 13, 2020, 11:35

Video game companies raised over $4.5 million to help the Australian bushfire disaster

Why are the companies getting all the credit? It was the players who paid the money to buy the stuff they released, so it was the players who really funded the relief efforts.

Re: Into the Black
Mar 11, 2020, 20:02
Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2020, 20:02
Mar 11, 2020, 20:02

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 18:28:
From NPR 2 days ago....

"So far this season we've had between 30 and 40 million illnesses in the United States," Martin says. Of that number, about half were ill enough to seek medical care, and between 300,000 to 500,000 people required hospitalization.

The CDC estimates that there have been 20,000 to 40,000 deaths in the United States so far this year.

Just for comparison, that's a thousand times more deaths in the United States than have been blamed on the coronavirus so far."

At this no one bats an eye but everyone's freaking out over C19? Yeah. Sure. Ok. Rolleyes

I have a hard time believing that you are serious here, but on the off-chance that you are...

The issue is not with "how many people are currently infected". Of course that's considerably lower than seasonal colds/flus that have been around for years. The issues are how fast this spreads, and how high the mortality rate is. Normal flus have a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Covid-19 has a mortality rate somewhere in the 3-5% rate. Should we get the 30 to 40 million people infected that you quote from the seasonal illness, we would expect between 900,000 to 1,400,000 million deaths. That is a *lot* more serious than the 20-40K deaths from flus.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 28, 2020, 18:55
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 28, 2020, 18:55
Feb 28, 2020, 18:55

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 17:24:
I wonder if it was a Dem account? Knowing liberal shitheads twitter, it was, and that's why they fast-tracked it.

Clicking on the link would have immediately informed you that it was a Republican. But don't let the facts get in the way of your all liberals are bad narrative.

Re: Path of Exile: Delirium Next Month
Feb 26, 2020, 04:26
Re: Path of Exile: Delirium Next Month Feb 26, 2020, 04:26
Feb 26, 2020, 04:26

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2020, 00:37:
PoE has another problem, a far bigger one... Wolcen turned out to be a game you could actually play (after such a long time, kinda surprising I know ,p) and while the campaign is something I wish I could forever forget (kinda lackluster and stupid) Wolcen has a solid base and support for mods. Now all I need is a Diablo 2 TC in Wolcen.

Yeah, PoE has absolutely nothing to worry about Wolcen for the forseeable future. Even ignoring all of the bugs in Wolcen - and there is a massive amount of them - the game is incredibly basic. The end-game is even worse than Diablo 3. Eventually they may be able to turn the game into something that can challenge PoE, but PoE 2 will be out well before that happens.

Re: The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday
Feb 20, 2020, 20:56
Re: The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday Feb 20, 2020, 20:56
Feb 20, 2020, 20:56

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 20:27:
What's the developer payday if purchased on GOG .

$15,000,000 million dollars to host a file. I'm in the wrong business.

Yeah. "Host a file". That's all steam does. /s

Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Back Online
Feb 20, 2020, 19:26
Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Back Online Feb 20, 2020, 19:26
Feb 20, 2020, 19:26

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 17:37:
So are they going to rollback or ban people who abused the glitches they fix? Isn't the point of the online mode to preserve gameplay integrity?

They posted that they were going to do "something" to punish people who abused these exploits, but they didn't say what, and they didn't say when. This was last weekend, and they haven't talked about it since. So no idea if they still intend to, or what they will actually do about it.

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 18:52:
For someone who doesnt know, what if any advantages are there to playing the game if others have been able to cheat/dupe without repercussions til this point?

There's no real advantage, but there's no real disadvantage either. There is no economy to this game. Currently playing "public" games doesn't match you with any other players. Should they actually get to the stage where there is an economy, they've already announced they will do a "season" system, so everyone would be starting fresh anyway. Other people exploiting is almost certain to not affect you in any way whatsoever - unless you play with a friend who did so, and they share with you.

Re: Gatherings & Competitions
Feb 18, 2020, 18:04
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 18, 2020, 18:04
Feb 18, 2020, 18:04

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 18:01:
As in, his team has a spot in some league of legends tournament and wanted to shop for better players to fill it but when he couldn't he fielded an all girl team for what to gain exactly?

More like the league his team was in had a limited number of slots and was moving to franchising. This meant the team slot was worth a great deal of money. The owner(s) wanted to sell the slot, not field an actual team - they didn't really have the money to afford good quality players. When they were denied, they fielded this team in protest. They assumed they would be kicked out for doing so, it just took the league longer to kick them than they anticipated.

Re: Gatherings & Competitions
Feb 18, 2020, 15:46
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 18, 2020, 15:46
Feb 18, 2020, 15:46

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 11:25:
Can someone explain to me in non-league of legends speak what the hell that All-Female LOL is about?

I read it as the all female team sucks horribly and other teams competing against them were told to use non-ideal heros to try and get them to win?

It's a two-fold issue. The primary issue is that the team owner wanted an exclusion to be able to sell their team spot past the cutoff date. They were denied. So to protest that decision, they fielded an all-female team of unqualified players. That's not to say the players were bad, but they weren't up to professional standards.

The second issue was playing against them, teams realized they were not good at the game, and "trolled" some of the games by picking champions that aren't considered "meta" picks. Considering the fact that the all-female team never won a single game, and had the fastest losses in the league by a considerable margin, it's hard to say that the trolling was that significant. But it definitely should be pointed out that it's not really the female players' fault, as they were never hired to be truly competitive.

Re: Metro Exodus on Steam
Feb 16, 2020, 09:52
Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 09:52
Feb 16, 2020, 09:52

Jerykk wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 06:28:
It's hard to say without any actual sales data. Epic's bribe money more than covers any potential losses within the first year of sales and is guaranteed revenue before the game even launches. Developers/publishers don't really care how their games sell on EGS because they already got paid by Epic. For long-term revenue, they rely on Steam, hence the timed nature of all these exclusivity deals.

Wait, you start off by saying you can't say without actual sales data, and then make all sorts of conclusions about the financials of the situation without sales data. How do you know the "bribe money" more than covers potential losses? How do you know if developers/publishers care about how their games sell on EGS? If you're going to make lots of claims that rely on having good data, maybe don't start off by saying you don't actually have that data, because then all your claims look really stupid.

Re: Saturday Safety Dance
Feb 8, 2020, 15:46
Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 8, 2020, 15:46
Feb 8, 2020, 15:46

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2020, 13:15:
Run Regedit.exe (good luck finding it without seach)

Good luck finding it? How hard is it to hit "win-R", and then type "regedit"?

Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too
Feb 5, 2020, 13:06
Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 13:06
Feb 5, 2020, 13:06

Carcifier wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 11:18:
He still doesn't get it. The game didn't do well because it sucked.

That's the reason Cliffy. It...sucked.

Overwatch is nothing special and it destroyed you.

Get ready for another failure. You have to develop something that is original AND fun! For a wide audience. No one cares about politics.

Make a good game, stop making excuses.

The quality of the game doesn't really matter. Overwatch might have been nothing special, but it was made by Blizzard, which gave it big-name appeal, and they spent a lot on marketing. Going against Overwatch was, as someone else pointed out, 98% of their problem. Even if LawBreakers was the best game ever, it would have had a hard time establishing itself.
3201 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    161  ] Older