Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warskull

Real Name Warskull   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 29, 2004, 16:20
Total Comments 497 (Amateur)
User ID 22169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Cheat Program Arrests
24. Re: PUBG Cheat Program Arrests Apr 28, 2018, 12:38 Warskull

Kxmode wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 19:45:
I'm more interested to hear how Bluehole Studio Inc. convinced the Chinese government to investigate and arrest its citizens.

China's version of corruption is a very business friendly corruption. Undermining China's economic interests means you get the hammer dropped on you.

China wants game developers investing in the market. If PUBG gets destroyed by cheats it signals other developers that the Chinese market is bad for your game.

If Tencent (PUBG's partner in China) asks for something, they get it.

Timmeh wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 21:23:
Its beyond freaking ridiculous that someone should go to jail for creating a cheat program for a damn video game!

you leftist sjw's are so freaking BRAIN DEAD for cheering this kind of stuff.

It's China, what do you expect? China has a long list of terrible things they do and this ranks pretty far down the list. China is already an authoritarian nightmare.

If they were arresting people for making cheats in a western country that would be a bigger deal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 18:05 Warskull

The three editions can account for three of them if counted separately.  

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
16. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 19:30 Warskull

Numinar wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 01:07:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 01:01:
I'm Factorio-curious, but not at $20. Sounds like I'll miss this one, like RimWorld.

I feel like I wasted $20 on Rimworld after getting caught up in the hype on this very board.

Factorio is something very, very different. I would even say better but that is a little unfair, I'm sure some people have 200 hours on Rimworld and love it like I love Factorio. It's worth an hour or two of your labour for sure. I guess if you are earning developing world wages it might not be worth it. It's cheaper than a bottle of cheap scotch in my part of the world and a lot more fun.

Rimworld is a fantastic game, but it is quite niche. It is like Dwarf Fortress. There is a style of play that is about observing, watching something happen. The kind of thing where you watch a bunch of Dominos fall over. Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld are very much about that. You build something up to ultimately watch everything fall apart in unique ways every time. That doesn't work for everyone.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
18. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 13:45 Warskull

This sounds like a seriously anti-competitive move. The brand is a huge issue. If Nvidia is pushing companies like Asus to stop using the Asus name with AMD cards that is a big issue.

Asus has a brand "Republic of Gamers", but let's be honest who even looks at that. The real brand is Asus. Then what about MSI? They don't have additional branding. They just call all their cards MSI.

The accusations that Nvidia is holding back GPUs from manufacturers that don't join the program is a big red flag too.

Plus Nvidia has a history with anti-competitive practices too. Look at how they used gameworks as a way to prevent AMD from seeing games and optimizing them until post-release. They've come close to the line before and they just may have crossed it this time.

Problem is by the time they finally get punished for it, they will have made way more than the penalties. It will be just like when Intel was threatening OEMs to cut all chip discounts if they dared offer AMD CPUs in their products (the Pentium 4 days.) AMD finally had the better product and was positioned to make huge gains. Whatever fines Intel got were piddling. They stopped a competitor from stepping up to their tier.

News Comments > New Paradox CEO
20. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 23:14 Warskull

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:33:
Errr... they are worse than EA wrt DLC. They intentionally release barebone versions of their games with cut content so they can then slowly feature-complete the games one DLC at a time and milk gamers until the udders bleed.

I don't think DLC release 1, 2, or even 3 years after a game's initial release is "cut content."

You also fail to mention that the company offers free major patches to the game with every DLC release and that some of the content is free.

You seem like one of those people that just hates all DLC.

News Comments > Who Controls Star Control?
8. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 3, 2017, 20:08 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 17:21:
Sounds like Atari screwed both of them. Regarless. If Stardock owns the name and TM there's sweet FA they can do about it except stop being whiny bitches and just make an homage with a different name. If it's good they'll make oodles of money regardless so who cares. Most gamers today will have never heard of Star Control to begin with so it's really not that big a loss.

That's the thing, Atari only owned the name and the new aliens from Star Control 3. They literally sold the Starcontrol name and Star Control 3's rights to Stardock.

So Paul and Fred can make their own sequel to Star Control II, they just can't call it Star Control. They can however use anything inside the actual game.

What they don't like is:

1. Stardock selling Star Control 1 and Star Control 2.
2. Stardock implying that they gave Paul and Fred the rights to make their game. They did not need to request permission from Stardock.
3. Stardock implying that they are connected to Star Control: Origins for marketing purposes.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Testing Toxic Player Bans
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Testing Toxic Player Bans Nov 26, 2017, 14:50 Warskull

No, they are testing toxic player reporting. As it stands nothing currently happens from the old report button and there is no reason to expect this will be different.

We can say they are testing bans where there is some evidence they actually do something with the reports.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2017, 15:12.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
28. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 20, 2017, 20:44 Warskull

GothicWizard wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 13:18:
When EA bought BW I was on the beginning of the end bandwagon and took a LOT of heat for that view. Everyone was like 'oh they still have the core dev there it will be fine'. I said within 6 months you will start seeing the exit of those core devs, mgt and it will just be a circling the drain affair as time goes on until it's just a shell of BW in name only. I was laughed at on their forums and here.

I am not above saying, I told you so.

Everyone knew it would eventually happen, even if some gamers were in denial. Bioware managed to retain its quality and not get EAified much longer than the average EA acquisition. EA bought them back in 2007. While there were signs of problems before this, 10 years under EAs umbrella without falling apart is pretty impressive. EA usually rots a studio out in 5.

News Comments > Enter the Gungeon Sells 1M
3. Re: Enter the Gungeon Sells 1M Jul 18, 2017, 12:16 Warskull

Alamar wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 10:22:
Gratzies to them... I haven't picked this up yet, as I'm not sure I'll like it enough to warrant the $15, plus all the DLC (total) costing more than base turns me away...

Skip it. The production values are good, but there is this giant gaping hole in the middle of the gameplay they have no idea how to fix. Just play BoI or Nuclear Throne instead.

It bills itself as an action rogue-like, but the problem is you don't get stuff. It is ridiculously stingy with the drops. They patched it to be less miserly, but it is still very stingy. So it ends up being a game about cool guns where you never get to use the cool guns because there aren't enough of them.

As a result to end up trudging through the early levels using your default weapons many times. The game also basically demands you beat the bosses without getting hit, but they have huge life bars and take a lot of bullets to kill. Due to the game being so stingy with drops you need that extra drop from perfecting a boss early on.

This is a huge problem for a rogue-like because there are really only a few bosses per floor. Every single run starts the same for the first 2-3 floors. Instead of each run being unique with game changing items like Binding, each run is the same with you using your default pistol to trudge through eh early levels because the gun you got either sucks or doesn't have enough ammo and you only got one gun drop.

Go look at Dead cells instead, that is actually good. This game seriously sells mostly off its trailer and people praising it because they've played it. Most of positive reviews it got were incredibly shallow.

If you want a hardcore bullet hell game, there are better ones. If you want an action rogue-like there are better ones. EtG is way down the list.

News Comments > Splash Damage and Wargaming Collaboration
3. Re: Splash Damage and Wargaming Collaboration Jul 18, 2017, 12:06 Warskull

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 11:50:
grudgebearer wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 11:03:
I guess this means Splash Damage wants to make a game that will be worse than Dirty Bomb?

Dirty bomb is far from bad, although not exactly the game you would expect from the stuio that made Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Quake Wars. Still waiting on a sequel for those 2.

I think his point is more that Wargaming is not who you pair up with if you want to make a top tier game. Dirty Bomb wasn't bad, it wasn't great, but it was above average. It had a long way to go though and I don't really trust wargaming at all.

News Comments > Battleborn Gets Supercharged
1. Re: Battleborn Gets Supercharged Jun 25, 2017, 13:55 Warskull

I think Pitchford is starting to get nervous as his companies fails.  

News Comments > Mirage: Arcane Warfare Free Weekend
4. Re: Mirage: Arcane Warfare Free Weekend Jun 9, 2017, 00:23 Warskull

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 8, 2017, 21:52:
You know a game is selling well when they offer a free weekend within two weeks of release.

Gonna check it out, but this is (iirc) the quickest I've seen a game do a free weekend promo like this.

The game is struggling to pull down 100 concurrent players. It is a total disaster.

News Comments > 11 Million Paladins and Counting
10. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 21, 2017, 21:55 Warskull

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:50:
If it was a real success they wouldn't be engaging in bullshit marketing speak. 11 million people who tried an F2P game for a few minutes and quit means nothing.

The keyword in the marketing speak is "was." Paladins did really good for a short while because it was the poor man's Overwatch. Think Overwatch looks cool, but don't have $40-60? Try Paladins. It is easy to get people to sign up for a F2P game. Problem is their retention sucked because the game wasn't great.

It has stabilized around 25k concurrent with a 45k peak. Not going anywhere, but not really growing anymore.

They've also apparently been having trouble getting money form those players. Hence the more obnoxious f2P schemes they have been pushing.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct
47. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 11, 2017, 14:37 Warskull

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:52:
I think the fee should be low. I mean, Steam is still getting its 30% cut, so there's no need for them to make money off the submission fee. However, the barrier to entry needs to be high so that we can get rid of all these blatant "stealware" games, where they put 2 hours of code together and are just trying to get a few hundred people to put money into it.

So I'd suggest they make a system where the cost of putting up a game is $5K, and then on your first $15K of sales, you earn back $4500 from the cut that Valve normally takes.

That should hopefully stop the absolute avalanche of garbage that's been infesting Steam.

I'm pretty sure that's what is going to end up implemented, it is just the dollar values at this point that are getting figured out. It just makes too much sense and fits in too well with their current architecture not to.

It automatically regulates. Make 100% of the fee recoverable by waiving all or some of valve's cut until it is recovered. You can make it so it takes ~$16.7k in sales to recoup the cost by waiving the entire 30% or you could waive just half the 30% until it is recovered so it takes around $33.3k.

Since you game has to sell for you to recoup the cost it will encourage the games to be at least good enough that they can sell copies.

Valve can also do a program for broke indie devs where some of them can get special exceptions.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
19. Re: Conan Exiles Banishes Servers Feb 5, 2017, 21:07 Warskull

Malvok wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 19:28:
They should have spent more time on server infrastructure and less on virtual dicks.

This is Funcom we are talking about. They suck at most things. Virtual dicks is all this game has going for it.

News Comments > Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb
2. Re: Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb Feb 5, 2017, 21:05 Warskull

Seems like a case of too little to late. With all the fantastic shooters we've seen since Dirty Bombs release I don't seen anyone going back to it. The most hardcore fans will continue to play it, but being a pretty good shooter doesn't cut it when you have a number of fantastic shooters out there.  

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
47. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 14, 2016, 00:12 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 12:15:
It's idiotic they don't use a scale of 10. That's still the best way to rate something. There are a lot of games I might rate a 5 or 6 but if my options are up or down than it goes down. And most people aren't going to plough through reviews to see that and just skip the game entirely.

No, ditching score system is part of what makes steam reviews superior to all the other user/customer review systems. It prevents people from intentionally trying to tank the score by spamming 0/10, which few games truly deserve, or 10/10, which again is not often deserved.

Requiring someone to own the game on steam and limiting them to a thumbs up or thumbs down makes it work.

Your review doesn't really matter, very few single reviews do. Steam is using a large sample to get an idea about how people feel.

You can still put any score you want in your written review. If people think your review is one of the few really good ones they will vote it to the top.

News Comments > Warhammer: 40,000 Eternal Crusade Next Month
3. Re: Warhammer: 40,000 Eternal Crusade Next Month Aug 20, 2016, 15:17 Warskull

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 13:45:
Wow, they paused the console versions and are releasing the PC version first? Has that ever even happened before??

When a game is still in flux or using the constant development model you sometimes see it. Warframe his PC first then expanded to consoles.

Also rarely, when a game is more PC focused, like Witcher 2.

News Comments > PC Dead Rising Next Month
8. Re: PC Dead Rising Next Month Aug 10, 2016, 21:07 Warskull

Avus wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 10:46:
another recycled game...

It is the best Dead Rising. It is good to have it on PC.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Getting More Anti-Cheat Protection
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Getting More Anti-Cheat Protection Aug 10, 2016, 21:05 Warskull

thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:25:
BattleEye can be circumvented, although it's supposedly one of the better anti-cheat packages out there.

Able to be circumvented is a hell of a lot better than their previous cheat protection which basically didn't work at all.

497 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo