Total Posts
435 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

435 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ] Older

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Feb 3, 2014, 14:38
Re: Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2014, 14:38
Feb 3, 2014, 14:38

Wow, first Microsoft, now AT&T. Who's next? Thanks for the middle finger to all your customers.

Are both links regarding XBox One or the two different XBox'es?
Jan 23, 2014, 19:45
Are both links regarding XBox One or the two different XBox'es? Jan 23, 2014, 19:45
Jan 23, 2014, 19:45

It's confusing.

Re: Evening Safety Dance
Jan 23, 2014, 19:30
Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 23, 2014, 19:30
Jan 23, 2014, 19:30

What Bill Gates really meant to say was that breaking the law isn't always necessarily a bad thing. Right Bill? Hell, maybe pirating software isn't always a bad thing? Or is it Bill? I think what Bill is trying to say it that laws were made so that they could be broken...is that the gist of it Bill?

Spying on a single person or group of suspected criminals is one thing. Casting a dragnet over the entire ****ing US population is another thing, Billy. It's a lil over the top.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2014, 19:35.

Re: New Year's Eve Tech Bits
Dec 31, 2013, 12:55
Re: New Year's Eve Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 12:55
Dec 31, 2013, 12:55

Oh my God, delayed until January? Oh the pain, the pain....the...oh wait. It's New Years Eve today. I guess the world won't end after all.

Re: I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really
Dec 28, 2013, 14:28
Re: I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really Dec 28, 2013, 14:28
Dec 28, 2013, 14:28

Creston wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 14:10:
Unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars put away, cancer treatment will wipe you out (financially) in a hurry. You're not working so you have no income, your normal bills all continue, and you're spending thousands and thousands of dollars on treatments that your insurance only partially covers.

I doubt the guy was making enough to cover it all for an extended period of time.

But isn't something like 'Cobra' insurance that you can purchase for a monthly cost even when you are no longer working. Why wouldn't he have insurance unless he had the mentality of a 20 something saying 'I'll never need insurance so why pay for it'?

Also, what about Obamacare kicking in beginning of next year? Maybe that will take care of some of his expenses. It's all so complicated to me. But it is a very interesting situation, hence my curios posts.

Oh, I just caught the part where you stated that 'insurance only partially covers'. That's true from what I know also but that 'partially' is generally in the 50-80 percent range which is pretty good if you need it. 80 percent being the most favorable coverage amount.

Edit: I would think I would disagree with you about him not making that much money. My God, Warcraft I, II, III, Diablo I, II, III, Starcraft I and II, World of Warcraft. These guys as a whole are in the billion dollar boys club. If he had a 401K plus all the royalties they get for their games that are probably still selling very well. He should have some decent money unless he was careless with his money.

It reminds of the O.J.Simpson case. That guy had a fortune too but I hear he ended up near broke after paying for his legal counsel.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2013, 14:44.

I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really
Dec 28, 2013, 14:06
I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really Dec 28, 2013, 14:06
Dec 28, 2013, 14:06

But the article states this guy is a 'senior software engineer' at one of the most successful game publishers in the world. I find it hard to believe anyone, especially someone higher up, who works at Blizzard needs financial support.

I wish the guy the best none the less.

Re: Sunday Safety Dance
Nov 17, 2013, 12:44
Re: Sunday Safety Dance Nov 17, 2013, 12:44
Nov 17, 2013, 12:44

I didn't know Windows 8 was for Power Users? I thought it was for chimpanzees who didn't wanna have to make their own decisions. Isn't that what Julie Larson said?

Here's my #1 tip for Windows 8 power users?

1. Format C:\

Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
Nov 16, 2013, 23:10
Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 23:10
Nov 16, 2013, 23:10

Well, I can honestly say that I have now. So the answer to your question is Yes!

Nov 16, 2013, 17:21
Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 17:21
Nov 16, 2013, 17:21

TheEmissary wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:13:

The languages don't vanish when a new is introduced. Its merely a new option for others to use if they wish. Its important to understand who is the intended user and what goals your after. There is no perfect language that solves every domain of problems. In the case of Wolfram they write software for scientists and academic use for people who don't necessarily have computer science/engineering backgrounds.

Languages like Ada, Pascal, Fortran all still exist and the specifications are being updated over time. Like I said before its about understanding your problem and finding a language that fits the problem. If your happy with a language because of your competence then stick with it. There are compilers for every much every language that was ever used.

True enough. I have a tendency to be a drama queen in my post sometimes. Much of the frustration is squarely targeted at Microsoft and Windows 8.

No offense to Mr. Stephan Wolf. But I somehow doubt he has achieved the rockstar status that Einstein has achieved. You don't even have to use his first name for people to realize who you are talking about.

Nov 16, 2013, 17:00
Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 17:00
Nov 16, 2013, 17:00

I've heard of the software. Never used it myself.

I stated the problems I have with new programming languages. Lay-people shouldn't be writing software. Just like they shouldn't be doing brain-surgery. Programming is inherently complex. It can only ever be so simple. The simpler a programming language is the less powerful and flexible it will be to the developer.

I am okay with languages "evolving" over time to address the requirements of the modern era in which we live. But I think some people try to hard to re-invent the wheel every 10 years. They have this philosophy in their mind that tells them to panic if we don't re-invent the wheel every 10 years. What Microsoft did with Windows 8 is a tragedy.

“Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler” - Albert Einstein

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2013, 17:08.

Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
Nov 16, 2013, 14:59
Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 14:59
Nov 16, 2013, 14:59

We don't have enough programming languages right now. Please, make up a new one so that the ones I have been mastering for the past several years will be obsolete.

This is exactly what we need. Refine and keep improving the old languages? LOL. Bah Humbug. Who wants to do that?

Let's all be like Microsoft and scrap 20 years of perfecting something every 10 years. That way we can slap a ******* "New and Improved" sticker on the box and sell it to retards who actually believe that marketing hype.

Can't wait for a new programming language. I am starting to salivate at the thought.

Oh btw, who the ******** is Stephen Wolfe? Was that his name? Never heard of the guy. He's even less relevant than John Carmack.

Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
Nov 10, 2013, 22:57
Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 10, 2013, 22:57
Nov 10, 2013, 22:57

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 16:49:
DanteUK wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 16:39:
Just more proof Windows 8 is intended for touch screen, they couldn't even be bothered to QA the mouse support!
Windows is dying.

7 is good for another 10 years.

Agreed, long enough to skip the turd that has been floating around most recently and hope that Windows 9 isn't more of the same.

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Nov 9, 2013, 17:30
Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 9, 2013, 17:30
Nov 9, 2013, 17:30

Microsoft giving away Windows 8.1? Hehehe. It's come to that huh. I guess that's one way to increase marketshare since 90% of the existing Windows market has absolutely zero interest in Windows 8.

Re: Report: CIA pays AT&T
Nov 8, 2013, 19:47
Re: Report: CIA pays AT&T Nov 8, 2013, 19:47
Nov 8, 2013, 19:47

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 18:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 13:37:
No, WE PAY AT&T. First to make the fucking call, and then to hand over the fucking data so we can be spied upon.

Fucking awesome.

Correction!

WE PAY the fucking politicians who pass laws to pay AT&T to hand over the fucking data so we can be spied upon after we pay AT&T to make the fucking call.

I like all of you guys. Can we be friends?

Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3
Oct 31, 2013, 07:00
Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 07:00
Oct 31, 2013, 07:00

Julio wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 06:57:
Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 23:45:
A hard line against DRM but allows its game to be DRM'd on Steam with Steamworks.

Some people prefer DRM, so sadly they have to cater to that market.

They are not catering to 'that' market. People love Steam because it's reliable, easy, fast, and cheap. And the DRM that it uses, from what I can tell, never gets in the way of anything or causes any problems on games that I have purchased from Steam. So for all those good points, that's why people use Steam.

Why make such a silly statement? Most people who use Steam probably don't even know it has DRM.

Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3
Oct 31, 2013, 06:54
Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 06:54
Oct 31, 2013, 06:54

NetHead wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:34:
It's hard not to support CD Projekt. Quality games aside the way they treat their customers and fans is shockingly good compared to others these days.

I remember at one point they sent out threatening letters to IP addresses suspected of downloading their games (a very dodgy and inaccurate thing to do), though today they do DRM free digital distribution even putting their own AAA games on GOG.com

I can't think of a better example of going from having one's head up their own arse to suddenly placing it almost perfectly on their shoulders.

There's no-one in the industry I'm more eager to support even if they didn't make such quality games that I personally enjoy.

Yes it sounds like a damned sales pitch, but they damn well deserve it.

You make a very good point. But the only reason they have done a 180 on their stance with regard to DRM is because they have realized the reality of the situation. And that is that removing DRM does not effect sales all that much. Obviously, if removing DRM did effect sales to a large extent they wouldn't be doing this "just" to please their customers. "Yeah, we will be bankrupt after this non-DRM relase but it's for the love of our fans". LoL. Ummm, no. They might love their fans but they don't love them THAT much.

DRM free games still sell just as well as DRM infected games for the most part. But hey, if a company can spin a monetary decision into a love for their fans, why not. I would do the same thing.

I still give them credit though for listening to their customers. Something Microsoft feels is no longer necessary for some odd reason.

Microsoft's infamous response to concerned customers. "#DEALWITHIT". I love it.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Oct 29, 2013, 10:39
Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2013, 10:39
Oct 29, 2013, 10:39

I strongly advise Dice to run longer beta-testing program in the future.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Oct 25, 2013, 21:51
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2013, 21:51
Oct 25, 2013, 21:51

Could you please post an article that explains why I would even want to run Windows 8 at all? The operating system sucks on desktops.

Re: Windows 8 only supported for 2 years?
Oct 14, 2013, 20:49
Re: Windows 8 only supported for 2 years? Oct 14, 2013, 20:49
Oct 14, 2013, 20:49

Flatline wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 20:16:
DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 16:11:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 14:03:
DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:08:
Now that is funny. So Microsoft is not easing up on the push to upgrade to their latest polished turd. They are increasing the pressure on people by shortening the support time windows? It will be interesting to watch a multi-billion dollar corporation slowly kill itself by creating consumer outrage on every possible front. They will have to make a movie about the demise of Microsoft in a few years. Should be pretty good. Title of the movie? "We thought we were too big too fail, no really.".

Why would they support an operating system that has lots of updates and fixes that are not applied?

You actually make a good point now that I think about it. So I have a question for you based upon your own logical response. Why would they even support Windows 8 for 2 years once the 8.1 patch/upgrade/release is available?

If were going to use your logic we can't be selective about it now can we?

Err... because not everyone can patch on day 1? MS gives vendors a 2 year production cycle to make sure their software is compatible with Windows 8.1

Not to mention that Win8 has been out for about a year now, so total support of Win8 will be about 3 years, which sounds about right for initial release support for windows.

That's a fairly generous window considering that not much under the hood is being updated.

Sorry, I'm not seeing the logic this time. You asked me a question, "Why would they support an operating system that has lots of updates and fixes that are not applied." So once Microsoft releases a Service Pack that fixes all the issues, what else is there left to support. What do they say to the customer calling in and asking to help fix a problem they already fixed in a patch?

So what you are telling me now is that even if Microsoft releases a SP that fixes all major issues but their customer hasn't installed the Service Pack yet, that their support will do what when the customer calls in beginning for help? "Yeah, we fixed that in a patch already. So what do you want us to do now for you?".

Your story is falling off the tracks. I have become confused.

How does a company go about supporting a customer who hasn't installed a Service Pack?
It makes no sense to even say that a company is going to support an older version that has already been fixed with a Service Pack.

Re: Windows 8 only supported for 2 years?
Oct 14, 2013, 16:11
Re: Windows 8 only supported for 2 years? Oct 14, 2013, 16:11
Oct 14, 2013, 16:11

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 14:03:
DukeFNukem wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:08:
Now that is funny. So Microsoft is not easing up on the push to upgrade to their latest polished turd. They are increasing the pressure on people by shortening the support time windows? It will be interesting to watch a multi-billion dollar corporation slowly kill itself by creating consumer outrage on every possible front. They will have to make a movie about the demise of Microsoft in a few years. Should be pretty good. Title of the movie? "We thought we were too big too fail, no really.".

Why would they support an operating system that has lots of updates and fixes that are not applied?

You actually make a good point now that I think about it. So I have a question for you based upon your own logical response. Why would they even support Windows 8 for 2 years once the 8.1 patch/upgrade/release is available?

If were going to use your logic we can't be selective about it now can we?
435 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ] Older