435 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

435 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    22  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Feb 12, 2015, 19:59
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 19:59
Feb 12, 2015, 19:59

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:49:
beremot wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:43:
Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:59:
I've done my homework. But my conclusions are not the same in every case. Plus, I am probably personally biased towards a more primal version of evolution. The weakest in the herd are holding it back.

The only good thing about this debate is that it should expose the anti-vaxers as the totally selfish assholes that they are: a strange hybrid of right wing Ayn Randian types and the most narcissistic aspects of "New Age" culture.

How I wish all the people who just didn't give a shit about anyone else could all go live on an island together where they could all not care about each other together. I'm sure it would be a kind of Social Darwinistic Eden.

Ok, that was awesome. I LOL'd at that.

So did I, oddly enough. LOL. "Evil selfish anti-vaxxers. Wah! Wah!". Awesome! I've always considered myself in the same category as a rapist and a murderer. We're such evil selfish people.

Feb 12, 2015, 19:07
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 19:07
Feb 12, 2015, 19:07

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:53:
Dear Anti-Vaxxers,

Links or GTFO.

kthxbye

Links don't prove jack shit. All you did in post #41 was put up a link asserting that measles is one of the most virulent virus' in the world. Yeah, anybody here disagree with that? No. So your point is basically, what, you can die of measles so go get your injection? LOL. Oh man.

I could post several but you'd just call bullshit on every one of them and then scream "You evil anti-vaxxer you!!!" and run down the hall crying. So what's the point?

Feb 12, 2015, 18:33
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 18:33
Feb 12, 2015, 18:33

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:40:
Dearest Red and Julio,

Epidemiology is such that you probably cannot avoid exposure in the manners you are suggesting. Almost every disease, up through Ebola, presents itself like a cold in the beginning. Do you go on lockdown whenever you get a cold? If not, you are definitely spreading the virus. And the idea that everyone could avoid the world when sick(work, family, especially kids) really breaks down at the lower income levels, where people can't afford to rearrange their life.

A related issue is disease reservoirs. Animals and asymptomatic humans can harbor the virus and trigger new outbreaks in unpredictable ways. This is also why we could not destroy the common cold even if everyone in the world avoided each other for two weeks. I think that trying to keep the USA unvaccinated and use only using border control would eventually trigger an epidemic.

The way you people look to vaccines is amazing. Soon nobody will need salvation or religion. We'll all just kneel at the foot of the needle. Wow. Do you seriously think it is wise for humans to try and avoid all germs. Are you suggesting that nobody ever go out who has a common cold? Maybe we should start a vaccination program for wild animals too. Every wild animal must be vaccinated so that we can all live happily ever after. I am not sure what the cost of that would be but if it makes you sleep better at night I would support it.

Feb 12, 2015, 18:14
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 18:14
Feb 12, 2015, 18:14

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:32:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:17:
And you make getting vaccinated seem so cool and envogue. You are such a hipster. It's just like buying a pack of twinkies on a Saturday night.

Apparently I am too old to know what the fuck you are talking about, but please don't base medical decisions on what is 'cool' or not.

Scientific evidence only. Not Jenny McCarthy(or whatever celebrity), not a refuted autism paper, not any random non peer-reviewed study, not random youtube videos, not suspicion of vast global conspiracies to make fractions of a cent off of life saving medicine.

Good luck, seriously.

Life savings vaccines that have never killed anybody right? That's why the government has granted full-immunity from any lawsuits against drug companies that produce vaccines that might kill a few people. What's a few innocently slaughtered people if we are savings millions, yes? But we won't file those deaths under manslaughter, we'll just call it, "taking one for the team".

By the way, what are your credentials? You seem to be above all that you speak to. And please tell me why you are so against getting knowledge from a video, or an article on the internet...where do you get your knowledge...out of all the crackerjacks that you buy?

By the way the hipster comment was an insult that went over your head. The implication was that your just running with popular opinion. And to use your grammar, Fuck, anybody can do that.

Feb 12, 2015, 17:17
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 17:17
Feb 12, 2015, 17:17

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 17:08:
DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:37:
How many people have died again from measles so far in a population of 300 million? Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? Look me up again when the death toll reaches 1000 U.S. verified unvaccinated healthy citizens and I will reconsider my decision.

So it'll take a thousand deaths to convince you to vaccinate? In that case, please vaccinate yourself immediately(maybe even 145 times?), because 145,700 people died from measles worldwide in 2013. Source. There are no reported deaths from measles in the US, Because of our vaccination program. Unfortunately measles cases have been on the rise, so you can probably look forward to measles related deaths in the US in the future.

Please keep babbling about random political appointees though, you are doing good work in making anti-vaxxers seem utterly ridiculous.

And you make getting vaccinated seem so cool and envogue. You are such a hipster. It's just like buying a pack of twinkies on a Saturday night.

Feb 12, 2015, 17:13
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 17:13
Feb 12, 2015, 17:13

You completely ignored his first valid point. Governments can't be trusted. Politicians lie through their *#^%(@) teeth and they do it with a straight face and without breaking a sweat. They do this for a living. Can you say with a straight face that this is not the case? Seriously?

Your response to his second point is just as silly. Rape and murder require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Telling me a vaccine saved my life or somebody's else when it could have easily been my own immune system is the poster child argument of one of the most typical fallacies in logical argument. It's akin to, "Show me your God, if you can't show me your God than he doesn't exists". Ignorant unprovable arguments like this are not the way to sway people to your side.

So, I've blown the first 2 of your responses all to hell and back. No point, in responding to any others. I'm sure you'll have a reply just as witty and *cough, cough* valid as the first two.

Feb 12, 2015, 16:37
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 16:37
Feb 12, 2015, 16:37

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:05:
Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:39:
Julio wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:25:
If someone else dies from catching an illness from me...well they could choose to be vaccinated themselves. And if they were in a group that did not have that choice - they should be staying away from others when diseases are going around.
it is baffling to me that something this simple and reasonable is so vehemently attacked and belittled (not necessarily so badly in this discussion, but I've seen it so many other times elsewhere)

If you believe in and trust vaccines, get vaccinated. Your concerns stop there. If you cannot, you are the exception. You bear the added responsibility of staying healthy, not literally every other person around you.

Now I'm starting to wonder if you two are part of a trolling team or something.

Assuming for a second you are serious: Vaccinations work well, but they aren't 100% effective, and even a vaccinated person can catch the targeted disease if their immune system is compromised for some reason; HIV, illness, injury, etc.

So in spite of person X's best efforts(he or she was vaccinated, tries to stay away from plague bearers such as yourself), they get sick from some airborne contagion person R is exhaling, before person R even has any symptoms and knows to quarantine his or herself. If Person R was even considerate enough to do so.

In an ideal world, Person X with a weakened immune system would be in far less danger, because 95% or more of his/her fellow citizens vaccinated in order to not kill each other.

In today's world, Person X is probably fucked before they know it, as most diseases are contagious long before symptoms show. Person R has been walking around town, spreading polio or measles or flu either because hey, fuck the world, or they aren't even aware they are sick yet. or Person R's unvaccinated children coughed on Person X's kids, who brought it home to Person X unintentionally.

In short, your suggestion is actually unreasonable and not medically viable. Sorry to break it to you. On the plus side you can thank people who did get vaccinated for not giving you polio or measles or rubella.

Cool, I salute you all. All the vaccine junkies in the U.S. of A who have bought the herd mentality bullshit hook, line and sinker. I salute you!!! Thank You. God Bless You. Still ain't getting a shot out of me but thanks for the offer.

How many people have died again from measles so far in a population of 300 million? Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? Look me up again when the death toll reaches 1000 U.S. verified unvaccinated healthy citizens and I will reconsider my decision. Just for the love of god, please do not appoint Eric Holder to the head of HHS position. We don't need another false botched crisis to pass laws. Oh God, I hope the HHS doesn't read this. I'm giving them ideas.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2015, 16:43.

Feb 12, 2015, 15:57
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:57
Feb 12, 2015, 15:57

Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:39:
Julio wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 15:25:
If someone else dies from catching an illness from me...well they could choose to be vaccinated themselves. And if they were in a group that did not have that choice - they should be staying away from others when diseases are going around.
it is baffling to me that something this simple and reasonable is so vehemently attacked and belittled (not necessarily so badly in this discussion, but I've seen it so many other times elsewhere)

If you believe in and trust vaccines, get vaccinated. Your concerns stop there. If you cannot, you are the exception. You bear the added responsibility of staying healthy, not literally every other person around you.

Amen!!!! It's so hip and cool to get the latest shot for the current mutation that is sweeping the nation. So, all in favor of, knock yourselves out...me? No, Im cool with not being cool.

Question though, just curious if anybody knows...how many shots would I have to get to protect me from every virus on planet earth that can kill me? And do I have enough time and money to do so?

There's an article every other day now about how the rich and educated are idiots. Ironic huh? Let the propaganda wars rage on!

Feb 12, 2015, 15:55
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:55
Feb 12, 2015, 15:55

OMG, Were all gonna die!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! I lost my herd immunity and I don't know where to find it!!!! LOL!!!

Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases
Feb 7, 2015, 16:50
Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases Feb 7, 2015, 16:50
Feb 7, 2015, 16:50

El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 11:26:
Subscription! Subscribe to get your annual Creed, CoD and Battlefield hassle-free!

Use this idea, Ubi, EA, ActiBlizz, and pay me 0.1% of the sales!

Why not, every other software developer is switching to a subscription model. You know the game won't actually be finished upon release, so subscribe to get all the patches.

Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases
Feb 7, 2015, 16:49
Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Pre-Purchases Feb 7, 2015, 16:49
Feb 7, 2015, 16:49

A "free" giftable copy of Assassins Creed III"? Anybody wanna be friends? I have never bought or played any of them. But it looks good enough, especially if it's free.

Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
Feb 4, 2015, 18:37
Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:37
Feb 4, 2015, 18:37

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Dude SteamOS is out like Star Citizen is out, wtf are you talking about?
Are you drunk?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ Just read what it says there

Yeah choice is good like we have Linux and MacOS and all that great stuff and guess what people use for gaming?
Wonder why. Get a clue
All I am saying is unless SteamOS offers something that is better for users than what we already have noone will use it just like about 5 people uses Linux for gaming

Yeah but Linux is on how many cellphones? Your talking about desktops. More people play cellphone games on Linux than Windows. You need to get a clue.

Feb 4, 2015, 18:26
Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:26
Feb 4, 2015, 18:26

Oh you mean, like on store-shelves in cardboard boxes out? Hahahaha, I see what you did there. Good one. Funny stuff.

Feb 4, 2015, 18:24
Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:24
Feb 4, 2015, 18:24

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:14:
But you say it yourself, in order to run Origin you need to run Wine or some other Linux platform.
Well that is exactly my point. SteamOS is not capable to run anything but Steam stuff.
If you have to run something else in order to play your other games than might as well just run Windows that does everything already.

It's not about my expectations it's just that I don't see the justification in running SteamOS when Windows does everything without limitations and does it better.

Because it would be open-source cross-platform. That's why. If you don't understand the benefits of those 4 words when they are combined, then you probably just don't understand.

All you are saying is "We already have an API that plays all the games I want to play so why bother with anything else". Because choice, freedom, power, and transparency are all good attributes of any product you want or desire.

DirectX was all good up until the point Microsoft tried to foist their Windows 8 pig on the world. This is why choice is always a good thing.

Feb 4, 2015, 17:17
Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 17:17
Feb 4, 2015, 17:17

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 10:35:
Valve seems to be getting into all kinds of things and not finish anything before jump on the other.
-Steam controller
-Steam OS
-Steam graphics API
-Steam VR
Lots of potential "game changer" and huge plans but everything seem to get abandoned after a few months when the hype settles.
I am waiting for Valve to announce the next big thing in mobile gaming a Valve tablet or something. Than a few months later they will just forget about it and announce the ground breaking new tech in sound technology for pc gamers.

Indeed. There's a reason the phrase "Valve time" exists to begin with. I can't see them really actually delivering on any of this stuff.

SteamOS has already been delivered...are you fully aware of your surroundings? How many fingers am I holding up?

Feb 4, 2015, 17:14
Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 17:14
Feb 4, 2015, 17:14

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 10:09:
Ah yes, this is exactly what we need, yet another graphics API to continuously keep fragmenting the market. Yay?

You would prefer Microsoft maintain a monopoly indefinitely? DirectX is the dominant graphics API right now, so what's the silly comment about fragmentation?

Re: etc.
Jan 30, 2015, 13:35
Re: etc. Jan 30, 2015, 13:35
Jan 30, 2015, 13:35

I like the comment after the article link.

Is fishing good for you? New research suggest yes. Because I always thought it was an unhealthy habit. It could be I guess if you fish while you drink but that's a whole other can of worms.

Jan 29, 2015, 11:58
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 11:58
Jan 29, 2015, 11:58

nin wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 11:39:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 11:35:
Im more worried about your crazy ass trying to get me to inject 20 different vaccines into my bloodstream on a yearly basis even though it's constantly mutating which means it's next to impossible to ever have enough injections to be protected at all times without constantly looking over your shoulder, that is, looking to the next vaccine.
So, to put this back on topic, as long as Bill Gates isn't the programmer programming the machines of the future, or some crazy ass variant thereof, I won't worry about it too much.

I'll give that a 6/10 on the derail scale.

Thanks, I could have done worse. It still makes a valid point. It's not the machines of the future that we should fear but who is doing their programming.

Jan 29, 2015, 11:35
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 11:35
Jan 29, 2015, 11:35

Im more worried about your crazy ass trying to get me to inject 20 different vaccines into my bloodstream on a yearly basis even though it's constantly mutating which means it's next to impossible to ever have enough injections to be protected at all times without constantly looking over your shoulder, that is, looking to the next vaccine.
So, to put this back on topic, as long as Bill Gates isn't the programmer programming the machines of the future, or some crazy ass variant thereof, I won't worry about it too much.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 20, 2015, 05:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 05:39
Jan 20, 2015, 05:39

Mr JDreyer,
Hello sir,

Let me state one thing up front for you. I make no claims that my belief system lines squarely up with any universal truths. I have simply made a choice...listen closely...I have made a choice based upon my limited knowledge of the universe. I am guessing you have done the same thing. Or are you bold enough to claim that you know every scientific law in play in the universe when it comes to the human body? Make the claim for us all here on this website that you are the 'all knowing, all seeing, all understanding, being that we should listen too on all things in the universe. The reason you are all so angry is because I cast doubt on your 'universal truth'. I make you think twice and that makes you angry.

I am no microbiologist, I have no degrees in medicine. My major is in Computer Science. I guarantee there are as many people against vaccinations as there are for vaccinations. If there weren't we would not even be having this discussion because 90% of all the population would be happily skipping to the doctor, while whistling zippity-do-dah, to get injected and people wouldn't have to go about bitching about the other 10% according to your, *cough, cough*, Herd Immunity theory? Your happy(and scientifically, safe) as long as 90% of the population is vaccinated, yes?

Again, when I wake up in the morning and read the news that people are dying left and right from measles(or any other virus for that matter) who have NOT been vaccinated I will pay more attention. Theoretical pandemic's do not interest me at all. Already seen that movie back in 2009. "DOOMSDAY: The Swine Flue Virus - The End of Life on Planet Earth as we Know it - AAAAAAHHHHHH!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!". While you were running scared to get your H1N1 shot I was probably at home chilling on my computer playing a video game. LOL.

God help your crusade, if I wake up in the morning and read in the news that people who HAVE been vaccinated are dying of the virus they were vaccinated for. That's gonna cast a pretty dark cloud on your 'Holy Grail' of immunity. Edit: On second thought, wait a minute...this happens all the time already, doesnt it? HOLY @#$%, No wonder I have no faith in vaccines.

You're right, your not going to change my mind with words. Your making all your decisions in a theoretical universe out of fear. I am making mine from a practical perspective out of faith.

Another edit: Oh, and if I give you the impression that I have skipped over anyting, it's more than likely because defending oneself against multiple attacks from multiple attackers at once is very tiring and time consuming. So, I am doing my best.

Edit: I never got my H1N1 swine flu shot...aren't I supposed to be dead, right now? Yes, we all are. Oops! Oh well, the CDC were only off by 1 or 2 billion(or so) people....who's counting...Let's cut them some slack, yes? I guess the 20% of you that actually DID get the shot saved everybody else. Thank you so much.

*Sung to the tune of ACDCs Rock'N'Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

2nd Chorus
"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, 'Heard Immunity' I just don't buy",
"We live in a vaccine junkie nation, the fear of death keep Merck stock ridin' high, ah yeah!!!"

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 07:48.
435 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    22  ] Older