Descending
Limit Results:

8 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Decided against Steam
Nov 30, 2004, 16:21
Re: Decided against Steam Nov 30, 2004, 16:21
Nov 30, 2004, 16:21

"How can there be a sTeam-free warez version of H-L2 if sTeam is at the core of every valve game?"

I guess it's the same as NOCD.exe's. Replace Steam with a dummy program that says "ok run the game", and HL2 is happy enough to do it. Or edit the game to say, dont check Steam, just run anyway.

P.s Bought the box, will leave it shrink wrapped for posterity.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 16:22.

Decided against Steam
Nov 26, 2004, 15:12
Decided against Steam Nov 26, 2004, 15:12
Nov 26, 2004, 15:12

Attempted to download the Game via Steam, servers were too busy. Thought "ok, I'll buy the box". Then warez came out with no Steam required at all, and my News servers weren't too busy. Decided this was a better option !

Might buy the box and leave it shrink wrapped, might not bother.

Funny old world.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 15:15.

Re: Vivendi Rules !!!
Nov 15, 2004, 17:07
Re: Vivendi Rules !!! Nov 15, 2004, 17:07
Nov 15, 2004, 17:07

"and will need 8 gig."

8 Gig really ? just for HL2 ? Or is that the "Gold" stuff, which i'm not really bothered about. Bronze, simple HL2 will do me.

If 8 gig is just for HL2 that seems like a serious amount for a game, like 4 times as large as any game in the past.

If it really is 8Gig of game content its gonna be a HUGE game ! And does that mean it ships on 11 CD's ? or 2 DVD's ?

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 17:12.

Nov 15, 2004, 17:01
Re: Vivendi Rules !!! Nov 15, 2004, 17:01
Nov 15, 2004, 17:01

"You would most likely get the same error message if ou tried to install through a CD/DVD."

Thats fine, as long as it is telling me how much space I needed, I could have altered my partition sizes to allocate more space on my Games area. But just "more space needed" is not really helpful.

Nov 15, 2004, 16:40
Re: Vivendi Rules !!! Nov 15, 2004, 16:40
Nov 15, 2004, 16:40

Heh, I'm not in a bad mood, I have not been on the edge of my chair waiting for HL2 for the last 2 years. Its rdy now, I fancied trying it, so I thought I would give Steam ago to save me a trip the the game shop, and also put my $ straight to the developers if they could deliver me it on time.

Anyway, no flame war intented, just thought I would post my comments on a newbies intro to Steam, and what a real Publishers role in getting that game to the rest of the world as Valve's servers buckle.

Surely I HOPE, though, that when I get home from the shop, the Steam Activation servers are not crippled also, and I must wait to even longer to play the game from the CD.

Nov 15, 2004, 16:27
Re: Vivendi Rules !!! Nov 15, 2004, 16:27
Nov 15, 2004, 16:27

I can download 5gig in 12 hours if thats the size of the game, I only expect their content delivery system to work.

Vivendi can supply the demand, but I'm an idiot because Valve cannot supply the demand ?

And I'm also an idiot, because, even though I have over 200 Gig of free hard disk space, Steam says I must just "free some space, as I dont have enough". Seriously, sorry for being an idiot then.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 16:34.

Vivendi Rules !!!
Nov 15, 2004, 15:51
Vivendi Rules !!! Nov 15, 2004, 15:51
Nov 15, 2004, 15:51

Jeez what a fucking joke Steam is. As a completely new users I Tried it today, tempted not to give Vivendi the extra cash but put it toward Valve directly.

Got Steam, started download...

Firstly, I have Steam installed on a disk with 3Gig free.(my Games partition) When I start the download it tells me "not enough disc space free, please free some", but no idea what ? Do i give it 50Gig ? How big is this game.

Secondly all the servers are full, and even to the point that the forums are now 50/50, and the home page for www.steampowered.com is twitchy.

So I cannot download it even if i wanted to, and free up another 10Gig by deleting some other games ?? Mabey i only need to delete 5meg, but I have no idea.

At least the publishers can produce the CD's in millions, and get it to the shops on time, where you can go and buy it instantly.

The excuse "Our Servers are Full" is shit. Why offer the fucking world the online distribution if you havent got the servers to provide it, and with what seems a completely shit download system. I cannot even specify anywhere in the options that, although I have Steam installed on my E:\ drive which is where I will want my HalfLife2 directory, it could use my F:\ drive as temp storage which has about 80Gig free on it.

Sorry Value, u fucked up on Steam, I will happily give my $43 to Vivendi for their distribution system, and you have have the other $7 for writing the software.

F**k Starforce...
Oct 12, 2004, 23:28
F**k Starforce... Oct 12, 2004, 23:28
Oct 12, 2004, 23:28

This is truly the most amazing driving game created.

Crank up the volume, with some decent non-distorting speakers, until it reaches somewhere near what a real GT car would sound like (until your ear drums start to rattle). The engine sings so sweetly, the gearbox whines, the road grit scrapes the floor, like you have never heard before.

Setup you your steering wheel (ideally a Logi Momo using the game optimum settings for that wheel) to High forcefeedback settings.

Turn off all aids, and learn to control the brakes and throttle pedals properly. Or powerslide them like go-karts in arcade mode if thats your thing.

Drive more and more laps consequetivly to get the tires and brakes warmed up properly.

Stay away from the build-up of marbles off the racing line.

Do plenty of practice before you attempt to race against the AI.

And get the closest to a 600Bph 8Litre V10 you ever will in your life.

Or moan about StarForce. Your choice !

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 23:52.
8 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older