Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carl

Real Name Carl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bubicus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2004, 01:32
Total Comments 77 (Suspect)
User ID 22048

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
14. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 02:57 Bubicus

I tweaked my settings a bit (like disabling MSAA and some shadows) and I still had some frame rate issues, but then I disabled my laptop's "3D Guard" feature that links fan performance to the orientation of the laptop, and I have had no frame rate issues since then (with >100+ hours now). I was even able to re-enable some things.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
31. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 13, 2015, 02:40 Bubicus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 21:46:
@ CJ

It's a pre-pre-alpha. You shouldn't expect it to handle a 1% setup like yours (3x mons, SLI)

They have raised an average of $100 per contributor, they have extremely high system requirements... and you think his setup is in the top 1%?! Surely the average contributor would have a high-end setup.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
7. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 13:57 Bubicus

I'm Asian, and I don't consider "oriental" offensive. I just consider it stupid. It's ignorant to use the term because it's just plain wrong in most circumstances.

Direction-based names are dumb to use in a globalized market. They only make sense in a more localized market. Saying "east coast" in a US-centric TV broadcast is OK. "East coast" doesn't make sense in a global TV broadcast, though. "Oriental" makes no sense to people in North and South America since China is closer to the west than the east. "Occidental" makes more sense for Americans, but then that's wrong for Asians, Africans, and Europeans. "Oriental Empires" could be the name of a game made in China about the Mayan and Aztec empires.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 19, 2015, 19:54 Bubicus

What an unfortunate name for the product. I long ago vowed to never purchase anything named Starforce.  

News Comments > Disgaea on Steam "Soon"
14. Re: Disgaea on Steam Nov 17, 2015, 21:31 Bubicus

Even though it's 12 years old, get it before it's banned when politicians find out that the prinnies are suicide bombers.  

News Comments > Disgaea on Steam "Soon"
4. Re: Disgaea on Steam Nov 17, 2015, 15:44 Bubicus

A little late... I already put 100 hours into the PS2 version since 2003, and another 250 into the DS version from 2008. (I'll probably still get it because I'm a sucker.)  

News Comments > Jade Empire Free on Origin
4. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Nov 15, 2015, 17:11 Bubicus

Yeah, they changed it to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge.  

News Comments > Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials
21. Re: Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials Nov 3, 2015, 17:41 Bubicus

I look at it more as $5.9 billion for the acquisition of King's customer data plus $1.8 billion/year of extra revenue. That data is valuable. It's for 500+ million active users.  

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
10. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 16:34 Bubicus

To be in the top 20% of Steam users you need only own 4 games.

Growth is growth, but we should be careful not to portray Steam as millions of users willing and eager to buy full price games. A large majority of users don't spend any meaningful amount of money.

Of course, the top 20% spenders of the millions of iOS and Android users own ZERO games (well, OK; to be fair, it's some decimal between 0 and 1) and just spend on free-to-play, so it's encouraging that at least Steam users will spend money on something that isn't designed to annoy users constantly.

News Comments > Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games
8. Re: Starsiege and TRIBES Free Games Oct 30, 2015, 12:11 Bubicus

I went there looking for MissionForce: Cyberstorm, but no luck. It and MechForce (on the Amiga) are the two best turn-based tactical mech games ever. (Titans of Steel: Warring Suns was decent, but clunky.)  

News Comments > Drone Swarm Announced
1. Re: Drone Swarm Announced Oct 2, 2015, 13:45 Bubicus

Wow, that brings back memories of Deuteros...  

News Comments > Shadowhand Announced
11. Re: Shadowhand Announced Sep 15, 2015, 03:34 Bubicus

By the way, those of you calling the game Victorian might have missed the fact that it takes place in the 18th century, not the late 19th. There aren't many games that occur in that time period, so it is not an overused theme.  

News Comments > Shadowhand Announced
4. Re: Shadowhand Announced Sep 14, 2015, 14:08 Bubicus

How can it be a waste of developer resources when it's a single developer who has already had success with his first Victorian-themed card game?  

News Comments > Master of Orion Video Diary
2. Re: Master of Orion Video Diary Sep 10, 2015, 10:25 Bubicus

Reach for the Stars was the foundation for space 4X, not MOO. MOO introduced designable races and ship design, but everything else was based on RftS or Empire (the other foundation of 4X).  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2015, 15:21 Bubicus

You want him to shut up because games are actually a place to avoid, to be weak, and to be unable to do anything?  

News Comments > Jameson: The Pilot Announced
2. Re: Jameson: The Pilot Announced Sep 2, 2014, 13:20 Bubicus

The one-man dev team is not that mysterious... it's a Polish guy named Przemyslaw Sikorski. Rezoner has two Web sites.

http://rezoner.tumblr.com/
http://jameson.rezoner.net/

It looks like it could be fun, but I'm not a big fan of this particular 8-bit art style.

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
23. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 9, 2014, 06:05 Bubicus

Eternal Dagger (Wizard's Crown II) had an improved UI over the first. Try playing that now that you have played Wizard's Crown and you'll quickly see the differences.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 8, 2014, 00:18 Bubicus

Geez, calm down.

For those who care for the facts, you can look at the actual document instead of Kotaku's interpretation:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140507e.pdf

Kotaku reported the operating income, not the net income. Actual losses (net income) were $228 million, not $457 million (operating income).

On the other hand, a huge load of money was spent in R&D: $704 million (71,736 million yen).

They have the equivalent of US$3.3 billion in cash (343 trillion yen). Of that, they have a crapload of foreign cash: US$2.3 billion and 532 million Euros.

In other words, they could have last year's net losses for 15 years without breaking a sweat, while still spending 2.5x the amount of losses on R&D.

So, Nintendo isn't dying anytime soon.

News Comments > Distant Worlds: Universe Announced
2. Re: Distant Worlds: Universe Announced Mar 14, 2014, 00:50 Bubicus

Yeah, I don't understand why this game isn't free-to-play by now. After all, no good games are worth paying for up front these days. They should be paying us to play it. They need eyeballs for the in-game ads. Oh, and for all of the microtransactions.

But seriously, if they're making money at the price point they choose, then they know that the price is fine. In that case, it's not they who have the problem.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2013, 13:21 Bubicus

As well as light, beauty, art, love...

None of that can exist in a world of absolute order because nothing uses or consumes energy. Light would not exist. Beauty and art would not exist because they are subjective and they would not be detectable. Love would not exist because everything would be related to everything else in a state of order and rest, so it would be meaningless.

Everything we believe to be "good" requires some sort of conflict to be meaningful. No conflict = no meaning to life.

77 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo