Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 29302 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black

1. Re: Into the Black Feb 5, 2020, 19:47 jdreyer

That's a long life. Hope I can make it that far. RIP  

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 5, 2020, 19:45 jdreyer

Cool and cool.  

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too "Woke"

28. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 16:20 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 15:06:
I never even came away with the perception that it was trying to be a "woke" game in the first place, let alone obnoxiously or in a way that would be relevant to why the game failed.

Yeah, there wasn't even a controversy the way that there was with stuff like BG Dragonspear. This was a total non-issue at the time of the game's release.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2020, 14:03 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 13:27:
Laughed my ass off when I read this today....

Jesus himself could testify against Trump, and they’d be like, “Yeah...but he’s probably just a deep state Obama hack.” And Trump would say “He was crucified. I like people who weren’t crucified.”
- S.E. Cupp

What I read was that Trump would be acquitted by 53 Republican senators. If he went down to the Senate and shot one of the Republicans dead, then he'd be acquitted by 52 Republican senators.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2020, 14:02 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 13:26:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 10:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 10:30:
Coal, the gift that keeps on giving.
Yeah... Japan really over reacted to the Fukushima disaster. I realize current nuclear power is not a great thing, there are big problems with it. But when you are a tiny island nation your choices are limited and contributing in a measurable way to climate change isn't exactly in your best interest. They needed to double down and spend all that money on improving their nuclear facilities, not dismantle them. Fukushima was avoidable if they had take better precautions.

No, they don't. They need to triple down on renewables. Solar, wind, and tide are all Japan - and the rest of the world - need.
This, plus geothermal. Japan is one giant hot spot.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2020, 13:51 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 11:38:
Well everyone called Lou Reed a genius for putting hours of noise on vinyl and calling it music back in 1975.

G-E-N-I-U-S. Is that how they used to spell "stoned?"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2020, 13:49 jdreyer

Gwyneth Paltrow calls Goop hate 'clickbait and bullsh*t.'

Dear Gwen,

Can I call you Gwen? Well, I just did.

Gwen, here's a dollar. Buy a clue.

Thx

21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 13:37 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 13:34:
You should post this. Perfectly said.

I lost a ton of respect for his response

I don't have an Instagram account. You're welcome to use it verbatim if you wish.

Sorry, assuming you're talking to me.

20. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 13:34 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 5, 2020, 10:42:
Was Apex Legends out then also?

That came after.

18. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 13:32 jdreyer

C'mon Clyffy, we did the postmortem two years ago.

- Lawbreakers characters and environments were just kind of bland, esp compared to the competition.
- Overwatch was already established, but worse timing is that the BR genre was just catching fire, and this wasn't that.
- Didn't really bring anything new to the genre.
- High skill level meant not newb friendly. Even adding bots so people could practice offline and get used to the characters and weapons, or even just comp-stomp would have helped.

Seriously, the original UT had female and ethnic characters. Being "too woke" had absolutely nothing to do with this game's failure. Try again.

14. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Says LawBreakers Too Feb 5, 2020, 12:53 jdreyer

Oh, Cliffy. Bless your sweet little heart.  

News Comments > GeForce NOW is Now

10. Re: GeForce NOW is Now Feb 5, 2020, 01:55 jdreyer

Caslon wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 23:57:
What does this do to older multiplayer games like the Battlefield series which have hosted servers with admins present to kick TK'ers and the such?

Nvidia stupidly removed the games list from their site and replaced it with a search box. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Here's the list of games supported. Not sure how far back they'll go in supporting legacy titles.

News Comments > Into the Black

1. Re: Into the Black Feb 5, 2020, 01:12 jdreyer

That's pretty good. Not $2700 good, but still good.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2020, 23:47 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 20:17:
I thought Kinnaman did a great job. It's hard to believe changing the lead actor in Altered Carbon is going to work.
In a book it doesn't really matter but a tv series it makes a huge difference. I can't recall a single tv series in the history of tv series to ever successfully do it.
The only one I can think of atm is True Detective but 2 and 3 don't come close to season 1, at least imo.
That said, changing the lead actor fits with the lore of the show.

8. Re: GeForce NOW is Now Feb 4, 2020, 23:45 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 21:28:
It's been in beta for eons, performance is rock solid if you hardwire to a Shield TV or something like that. Wireless I can't speak to because its garbage and I don't game that way

Already beats the shit out of Stadia in terms of compatibility and peripheral support. Interesting ownership model though.

This is the gold standard of game streaming: there's no store. You pay either nothing or $5/month to play games you already own on nearly all of the existing storefronts: Steam, EA, Epic, etc. No streaming implementation so far has interested me, but this one has. It would be cool to play Civ on my tablet at work during lunch. And for TBS or an RPG, who cares about input lag? I'll probably sign up for the free package just to check it out.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Coming to Steam with Free Expansion

10. Re: Fallout 76 Coming to Steam with Free Expansion Feb 4, 2020, 23:40 jdreyer

They've been working on it a while now. Has it gotten better?  

3. Re: GeForce NOW is Now Feb 4, 2020, 20:41 jdreyer

The thing to understand here is that this is the future of AAA gaming.

There will always be games that run directly on PC, but streaming AAA games gives the big publishers the complete control that they crave. No more cheaters, yes, but also no more local servers, mods, etc.

Also, expect this to become the standard for eSports. No more worrying about players slipping cheats on to machines and whatnot.

Won't happen next year, but in five years who knows?

2. Re: GeForce NOW is Now Feb 4, 2020, 20:37 jdreyer

Apparently, the lag isn't that bad:

I enjoyed nearly latency-free performance on a majority of my tested games. Fortnite, Apex Legends, Destiny 2, and the 2019 remake of Modern Warfare: I played these on mouse and keyboard via GeForce Now and barely noticed their inherent latency.

Caveats, of course:

There's no telling whether my impressive GeForce Now tests came because I live near one of its data centers, or because my home connection is solid, or because I did all my tests before thousands of free users piled onto the service.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2020, 19:55 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 15:30:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 11:51:
Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the National Weather Service.

Not a lot to celebrate.
No worries, I'm sure Trump can give us all the weather reports we need.

The Weather by Trump: Now with more Sharpie!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

13. Re: Technology glitches prevent same-night release of Iowa caucus results Feb 4, 2020, 19:54 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 19:26:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 13:16:

Sounds like it was just poor IS management, not anything intentional. They had a new app to report results, they didn't beta test it, they didn't solicit feedback, they didn't do performance testing, didn't do connectivity testing, didn't have a backup plan, etc. So when it failed, no results.

Also, this is an Iowa Democratic party issue, not a DNC issue.
Yep, looks like you nailed it.
More here
Snip
The app was reportedly built in the last two months on a budget of about $60,000, according to Iowa FEC data. Experts say this is a relatively low budget and recklessly fast timeline for an app set to be used in a high-stakes scenario like an election.

“The sequence of events that led to the failure of this technology is nothing new – it happens in every rollout,” said Meredith Broussard, a professor at NYU and computer scientist. “This was a totally predictable disaster.”

What’s more, the app was not tested at scale and not vetted by any third party agencies, according to reports

The article explains the resultant clusterfuck.
$60K in two months means they had about five people working on this. Nice.

29302 Comments. 1466 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >