Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 18921 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow Warrior: Special Edition (2013) for Free
12. Re: Shadow Warrior: Special Edition (2013) for Free Jul 21, 2017, 07:14 jdreyer

I haven't played this yet, so I'm gonna be slicing and dicing with Lo Wang.  

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gigantic Launches
8. Re: Gigantic Launches Jul 20, 2017, 17:28 jdreyer

noman wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 16:36:
I still don't know what a MOBA gameplay is. And I have been gaming since early 80s.

All I know is that these games have "heroes" and "lanes", and besides the literal meanings of these terms, I am not sure what they mean in MOBA context.
It's actually because you've been gaming since the early 80s that you don't know what MOBA gameplay is.

It's basically an RTS with a single unit that you control that has lots of upgrades and special abilities. Mapz tend to be symmetrical arena style designed for small teams to work together. There also tends to be dozens of unique units, often for individual sale, which require hours of play time each to master.

News Comments > Gigantic Launches
7. Re: Gigantic Launches Jul 20, 2017, 17:26 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 09:57:
Great another POS PVP game that we all needed.
Heh. Thought this was a CJ post when I first read it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 17:24 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 15:52:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 15:48:
I'm wondering what you thought of Midnight Special, which, like Take Shelter, also starred Michael Shannon and was written and directed by Jeff Nichols.
*meh* Didn't care for the ending, but overall it was fine. Take Shelter's ending was probably just as ambiguous but didn't bother me as much for some reason... probably better if I don't think about it too much..
Yeah, the ending is the weakest part of that movie, but up to that point it has great atmosphere and tension. And Shannon's performance is something.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 17:20 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 16:31:
They should hire the woman who did the computer voice for TNG for one of these assistants. And like TNG I want to just be able to say 'Computer, blah blah blah'. I don't want it to have a name, unless it's HAL. That too would be a great thing to license for something like this, 'Good evening Dr. Chandra.'
I want GLaDOS.

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month
9. Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 17:18 jdreyer

Been playing this off and on since the beta (someone here gave me a key). How's the dungeon persistence? It used to drive me nuts if I spent too long in town how the dungeon would reset and I'd have to redo a bunch of content. And of course the map was completely different from the one I'd just done. After a couple times of that I'd be overpowered.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 15:49 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 15:47:
*grumble* Youtube seems to have broken my extension for marking videos as "Watched"... a Google search didn't find anything recent, but apparently this has consistently been an issue over the years... hopefully the extension will get patched...

And you're logged in? Try clearing the youtube cookie? (Sorry, you probably already checked this stuff)

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 15:48 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 12:19:
Shape of Water looks interesting, I'll watch anything with Michael Shannon in it. Take Shelter with him and Chastain was really well done. I just hope Del Toro doesn't fuck this up like Crimson Peak.

Love Shannon, and Del Toro as well (though haven't seen Crimson Peak).

I'm wondering what you thought of Midnight Special, which, like Take Shelter, also starred Michael Shannon and was written and directed by Jeff Nichols.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 15:44 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 15:30:
Plumber and sander finishing up today. Painting for 3 days. Moulding and other small stuff finishing up tomorrow and this weekend. (set pocket door and finishers on it, secure vanity, scrape and paint, etc.) Cleaners Monday.

Had a professional company out for more than I wanted to pay to clean our natural stone floor. It was worth the money. 11 years, 3 dogs, a cat, and a kid.......floors look amazing.

LETS DO THIS!

How goes it Blue?

How's the negotiation on the new place going? Guy still being a stick in the mud?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 15:43 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 09:34:
48 years, and apparently I won't live to see the "next step" in space travel. *sigh*

We were three years old when the last moon landing occurred. We won't see another in our lifetimes. WTF, NASA?

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 15:36 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 14:10:
Considering this is the first time we get a male voice option, can I just say that THAT is what truly sexist here? Give me Vin Diesel over squeaky high pitched female voice-that-sounds-like-a-robot options any day of the week!

Bixby hopefully ships in German at some point ;p
Ps.: German voice of Vin Diesel is Markus Keßler, he also voices Nicoloas Cage, and he seriously sounds more awesome than Nicolas Cage... though nothing beats the original Vin Diesel

Has there not been a male voice for Siri in German? I'm pretty sure we've had an English male Siri for a while.

News Comments > Space Tyrant Early Access
1. Re: Space Tyrant Early Access Jul 20, 2017, 15:34 jdreyer

Looks like a mobile game. On the other hand, it will run on my laptop, which is good since my desktop is dead and waiting for Corsair to process my memory lifetime guarantee.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 13:28 jdreyer

It would have been fascinating if they had launched with the tags the original way in half the phones and reversed in the other half.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 13:05 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 14:39:
Mud and tape guy needed an extra day. Was super rainy here and super hot. Mud didn't dry. We are doing all painting Fri/Sat/Sun. Moulding finishing up Fri. Scrape and paint eves, maybe replace a few of the boards. Did some landscaping in back yard, trimmed trees. Tons of small shit inside. Other small things throughout.

5 years of projects completed in 2 weeks. I know some great people willing to help out and some things just kind of fell into place, we have been very fortunate.

WE ARE READY!

Bring on the bidding wars!

Going back and forth with the house we want. Old timer owns it and is being a stickler.....

WOOT! Good luck Bats!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2017, 14:41 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 13:44:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 13:05:
I kind of doubt the T-Rex would have been a successful predator if it couldn't move above a slow walk. DO they think it perched in trees and jumped down on unsuspecting prey? Or hid in the bushes until something just walked into its jaws?

If the T-Rex couldn't run, I doubt the brachiosaurs and the other giant grazers could either, in the past it was just assumed that they did like they assumed the T-Rex did.

It is also possible that the T-Rex wasn't a predator after all, but a scavenger, eating already dead animals killed by other, more nimble carnivores. Its quite easy to imagine a T-Rex stumbling upon a corpse being eaten by raptor-like dinosaurs, scaring the latters away to claim the corpse as his own, or simply sharing it, profiting from the smaller dinosaurs successfull hunt.

In another article I read, it said the herbivore contepmoraries of TRex like diplodocus and triceratops were slower than 12 mph.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2017, 14:35 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 10:02:
And we elect these morans.*

*the spelling of morons as morans is approved by jdreyer

I can approve that because I got a brain.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free DLC and Free Trial Next Week
4. Re: Titanfall 2 Free DLC and Free Trial Next Week Jul 19, 2017, 13:58 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 12:52:
I haven't played any COD in years, because, WHY???? But this game has always looked more like the classic arena shooters to me. Way faster and crazier that all the modern COD clones. Plus, it has pretty original features and the net code seems good, which is a major achievement. If I had to play a modern competitive shooter, this would be it. Now they're adding a full coop mode for free? I actually feel pretty bad that I'm not giving them money to encourage what they're doing. I just don't have the time to play a game like that.

If they had a bot skirmish mode, I'd get it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 19, 2017, 13:36 jdreyer

SunnyD wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 23:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 15:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 15:32:
I don't think any high intelligence would put "mass genocide" on it's to-do list... at least not intentionally and unprovoked. So there is that.
Actually, this is part of the problem. There is no reason to believe any created intelligence would share our values. Unless we somehow manage to integrate them, which when you actually think about it, isn't an easy thing to do. So, if you suddenly have something which thinks much faster than you, but has no morals or sense of right and wrong.... well, the problems are obvious.

Also, the larger bugbear in the room is glossed over by many: weaponized versions. There isn't a single person in here I'm willing to bet that would bet against other nations approaching the question of A.I. with a more militant glint in their eyes, and while knowing this, isn't safe in assuming that 'our' government isn't at work doing the same at this moment. Lets be real here tho, as with many inventions that have come our way, a great many had been known, worked on, and used by militaries the world over, ours included, before being released to the public.

It's that aspect I'm more concerned with. Just how far along are we in actuality that we aren't in a position to know due to our non/low-security clearances. And the kind of people with their hands on the trigger of this particular tool for exporting democracy and improving our lives have shown something of a consistency as regards to actual usage of new tools regarding the war-fighting environment.

It's not only A.I.'s morals and sense of right and wrong we have to worry about, humans still being pretty broken in those aspects at this time, themselves.

~Finis~

Right, think about an AI system that is given the directives of protecting humans but also protecting it's own internal structure from intrusion. If it's developers upload new algorithms that contain bugs, it may "learn" that those developers are a threat, and prioritize protecting it's own system over the humans, and take unpredictable actions.

The good thing about this is that we've been having these discussions for decades. Probably the most anticipated tech change in the history of mankind. We didn't have the chance, for example, to have thousands of debates, fictionalized accounts, research papers, etc. when developing nuclear weapons. We had to figure it out after they were a thing. At least we're having these discussions about AI now, and some of humanity's greatest minds are thinking about the ramifications.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 19, 2017, 13:31 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 15:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 15:32:
I don't think any high intelligence would put "mass genocide" on it's to-do list... at least not intentionally and unprovoked. So there is that.
Actually, this is part of the problem. There is no reason to believe any created intelligence would share our values. Unless we somehow manage to integrate them, which when you actually think about it, isn't an easy thing to do. So, if you suddenly have something which thinks much faster than you, but has no morals or sense of right and wrong.... well, the problems are obvious.

Right, and as Asimov is always so fond of pointing out (60 years ago!), the AI can always interpret specific prime directives thinking it's doing the right thing when it's in fact causing harm.

News Comments > Splash Damage and Wargaming Collaboration
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 19, 2017, 13:28 jdreyer

Armengar wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 05:14:
WoT and WoWS are ok. Ive thrown about £100 at WoT over 5 years (at 10k games i'm guessing about a thousand hours) so not too much "money vs time investment". Spent nothing on WoWS and WoP was a laughable joke. Ive stopped playing WoWS (again when the grind hit - im not prepared to spend money on it)

The mobile versions are pure tat and ive not seen anything else of wargaming worth my time. Id say they are borderline asset strippers.

Asset strippers? What do you mean?

18921 Comments. 947 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo