Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21457 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Mad Catz is Back
6. Re: Mad Catz is Back Jan 4, 2018, 12:59 jdreyer

"the legendary brand?" Really?  

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 4, 2018, 01:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 20:55:
Sounds like a raging sociopath.

He sounds like a crazy mofo with a lack of dopamine production, so only feels alive in dangerous situations. Given how many people he rescued at peril to himself, I'm not sure why you're calling him a sociopath.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2018, 01:05 jdreyer

Feeling the heat, eh Ajit?

One of my coworkers is considering naming her son Ajit. She's from India, of course, but has no idea who Ajit Pai is. So I showed her this picture, and she decided she'd go with Satya instead. I didn't have the heart to show her this picture...

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
4. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 4, 2018, 00:58 jdreyer

Some of these winners make no sense to me...  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 17:13 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:13:
Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:53:
I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.

Meh, I backed D:OS 1 and D:OS 2 and obviously those are fantastic games

Backed quite a few games with huge delays as well.... Bloodstained

.... which is still MIA

Oh don't get me wrong there's been some great success stories for video games on Kickstarter.

It's just that usually by the time a board game finds its way to kickstarter, you have the prototype done, and probably the final art done or being done, and the odds of it getting to print are pretty high. There will be delays, that's almost inevitable, especially with Chinese printing, but like, you can pretty easily work out how much money you need to finish a kickstarted board game once you get it to a certain point, and that point is generally *way* farther along than a kickstarted video game.

All good points, also board games are more amenable to being done successfully by individuals/small teams than video games, the few exceptions notwithstanding: FTL, Banner Saga, Darkest Dungeon, etc.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
31. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:50 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 15:17:

It's odd that so many people don't get this. Lawbreakers wasn't aimed at the casual market the way Overwatch and the Battle Royale games that are currently all the rage are - it's success was largely hinging upon the buy-in of the hardcore PC gaming market. The very same one he's told to fuck off many times throughout his career. Of course Lawbreakers suffered because of his past indiscretions. That said, given the aforementioned major shortcomings surrounding Lawbreakers, it was never going to be a smash success. At best it was going to be a niche hardcore shooter darling similar to the first Tribes, but I have no doubt it failed to achieve even close to that because of who's project it was.

I think if Lawbreakers had been appealing, it wouldn't have mattered. Instead, he offered a bland game that had been done many times before in a saturated market.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
30. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:44:
Never mind.

Don't tell me what to do.

Do you need a time-out, sir?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2018, 15:27 jdreyer

You would think he would have learned...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2018, 15:24 jdreyer

The Link Between Japanese Samurai and Real Indigo.

A post like this could only show up on Blue's News.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 3, 2018, 15:15 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:41:
PUBG coming to a Switch near you.

PUBG coming to a Ti-83 calculator near you.

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
35. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 15:08 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:07:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 04:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 02:37:
Games, more than other media, are simply more addictive. Part of the problem is the continuous presenting of problems, then rewarding the player for solving them. This creates a chain of problem-reward-problem-reward that spurns the player onward and never ends. The "just one more turn/game" phenomena doesn't exist in other media. We've all pulled all-nighters playing games. Have you stayed up all night to read a book? Watch a show? Listen to music?

Those might be some of the worst comparisons I've seen. There are plenty of occasions where people feel compelled to read one more chapter of a book or watch one more episode of a show. If something is compelling, people will want to continue experiencing it even when they know they should probably be doing something else. This is not a phenomenon unique to games.

Sure, but what's the longest you've done each one without stopping? Games are simply more compelling and compulsive than other media due to their unique attributes. Whether we need an ICD 10 entry for them is a different question, but certainly gamers can exhibit compulsive behavior moreso than other media.

Personally, and I offer this not as proof of anything but a personal answer to a question, I've absolutely done more compulsive reading than video gaming.

When I see on my Kindle that I'm nearly done with a book I often choose to just finish it. Sometimes that final 15% is 3 hours, and it's now 3am and my alarm is set for 7 for work.

That's somewhat always been true, but games are less of an issue than ever for me because I rarely do a session over 30-45 minutes. I may only do a 20 minute break then go back, but I end up feeling satisfied in small bursts.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone would think that a 3 hour read approaches addiction. Addicted gamers often go 24 or more hours without stopping. Or they pull 100-120 hour gaming weeks, to the exclusion of anything else.

News Comments > Farmer's Dynasty Early Access
16. Re: Farmer's Dynasty Early Access Jan 3, 2018, 14:59 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 05:45:
This is probably the funniest goddamn thing Ive seen on the internet in a long while. Im laughing my ass off....Those potential "mates" with the face were what did me in....also Ive been thinking about it, will you marry me...priceless line. OMGROFL...

Now a serious question, for those in the knowhow, can you marry your sister?

Depends on the state you choose at the beginning of the game. Just be sure to choose a southern state for your farm location, and you should be all set.

31. Re: Zoo Theory Jan 3, 2018, 14:52 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 05:44:
It's not about sharing values though it'd be nice if they did, it's about the fact that no species behaves 100% monolithic so non-interference would never be the 100% agreed upon opinion.

This is an assumption not in evidence. We have no idea what rules an advanced alien culture might have and how they might enforce them.

And ants are also very different among their species lines, but ants don't build space-ships Neither does any other living thing on this planet aside from us.

Ants build cooperative civilizations, just like we do. Aliens could have an intelligence so far beyond ours that we are like ants to them. Ditto for their technology.

Basically, you can't beat the Fermi Paradox, the most likely scenario (currently) is that we are indeed the only intelligent sentient life-form that is space-faring in our galaxy and any alien life we may ever come across is probably the kind we uplift from slightly lesser species or create ourselves through various factors.

Sure, until proven otherwise, we're the only intelligent species in the universe. The problem with the Fermi paradox is that we're so technologically nascent that the ability to detect aliens is most likely beyond us. Another example is our solar system. We had to assume we were the only solar system with planets. We could theorize, but couldn't prove. Then we got the technology to detect exoplanets. No we know, there are lots of star systems with planetary bodies.

The bottom line is that we don't have enough information either way. Our technology is insufficient.

33. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 14:23 jdreyer

Good discussion here. Thanks for the good reads.  

32. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 14:07 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 04:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 02:37:
Games, more than other media, are simply more addictive. Part of the problem is the continuous presenting of problems, then rewarding the player for solving them. This creates a chain of problem-reward-problem-reward that spurns the player onward and never ends. The "just one more turn/game" phenomena doesn't exist in other media. We've all pulled all-nighters playing games. Have you stayed up all night to read a book? Watch a show? Listen to music?

Those might be some of the worst comparisons I've seen. There are plenty of occasions where people feel compelled to read one more chapter of a book or watch one more episode of a show. If something is compelling, people will want to continue experiencing it even when they know they should probably be doing something else. This is not a phenomenon unique to games.

Sure, but what's the longest you've done each one without stopping? Games are simply more compelling and compulsive than other media due to their unique attributes. Whether we need an ICD 10 entry for them is a different question, but certainly gamers can exhibit compulsive behavior moreso than other media.

21. Re: 2017 airline safety Jan 3, 2018, 14:02 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:05:
and 2018 is starting out just as safe

I had a dream last night that I was on a flight that had some kind of malfunction so the pilot had to come down to a few thousand feet. The plane was flying below the tops of some nearby mountains, and he kept getting lower and lower. Eventually he clipped a tree, and was just "whoops!" about it. Freaked me out.

I used to fly all the time, and never have any anxiety about flying, so this must be representative of something else.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2018, 14:00 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 08:52:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 07:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 02:51:
It's like what Steve Wozniak said about the Steve Jobs movie: "None of it happened, but all of it is true."
*chuckle* I hadn't heard that previously -- yes, that seems apt. Out of curiosity was he speaking about a specific film, or just in general on both of the big films made about Jobs?
If you search the quote I don't think he said that.

I was paraphrasing, sorry. It's from an interview he did.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2018, 13:59 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 07:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 02:51:
It's like what Steve Wozniak said about the Steve Jobs movie: "None of it happened, but all of it is true."
*chuckle* I hadn't heard that previously -- yes, that seems apt. Out of curiosity was he speaking about a specific film, or just in general on both of the big films made about Jobs?

The Aaron Sorkin film.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:34:
I'd like for the entire concept of 'universal media franchise' to die, but I think neither of us will get what we want, sadly.

It's hard enough converting narrative based games to film and TV. This has literally no chance of producing anything good.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:40:
I can see it now. Clothing, outfits and Halloween costumes sold only at wally world.

For the Halloween costumes, they put you in a huge warehouse where all the costume pieces are hidden in crates, shipping containers, and other random obstacles. You have to run around and find random pieces before time runs out. Whatever you end up with is your costume.

21457 Comments. 1073 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo