Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On October 9, 2004
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 29958 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Eternal System Requirements

44. Re: DOOM Eternal System Requirements Mar 9, 2020, 15:55  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 13:46:
El Pit wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 13:24:
And on Steam the hardware recommendations are... GONE. I knew something was off here.
The lazy devs must have pushed the big red easy button that makes the game engine moar multi-threaded.
Now even a 2-core duo can crush doom.

Or a Ti-83 Plus calculator.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2020, 15:51  jdreyer 

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 14:39:
So when should my name turn Gold?

Hey, what's your new job?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2020, 15:49  jdreyer 

Time to hit the weights there Blue!

Here's a minimalist workout to get you started.

Also, you're like the doggo grandfather: get the kids for a few hours week without all the meal cooking and diaper changing!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2020, 15:46  jdreyer 

WaltC wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 15:36:
Sydow was always a favorite of mine. RIP Max.

Yeah, amazing actor with such gravitas.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 9, 2020, 15:44  jdreyer 

1984 is real.  

News Comments > F2P Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Tomorrow

5. Re: F2P Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Tomorrow Mar 9, 2020, 15:16  jdreyer 

That trailer gave me a seizure.

Are people still complaining about how crappy the CoD engine is?

4. Re: F2P Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Tomorrow Mar 9, 2020, 15:05  jdreyer 

phinn wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 14:42:
F2P wow... Something to finally get my crew off PUBG maybe. That 100GB download just is insane but gonna have to try this out anyway looks good. Would like to know the requirements to run this at say 120-144fps. Might be time to upgrade my home built 9600K 4.8GHz / GTX 1080 rig.

Your rig sounds fine. Maybe just add a new graphics card, like a GTX2080ti?

3. Re: F2P Call of Duty: Warzone Launches Tomorrow Mar 9, 2020, 15:04  jdreyer 

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2020, 13:54:
I just hope that this convinces EA to make the Firestorm Royale mode for BFV F2P. It's starved for players, and it's by far the best "classic" Royale experience IMO. Best gunplay, best destruction/physics, best engine, and by far the best circle.

Still, DLing CoD:MW now, fucking 170 Gigs.

Did you have to buy a new SSD?

News Comments > Get The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day for Free

12. Re: Get The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day for Free Mar 9, 2020, 02:41  jdreyer 

Supposed to be free through Monday, but I checked it today (Sunday) and it's $15.

Guess I missed it (saw the story at work, and forgot when I came home).

I wonder if just a limited number of keys were available.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2020, 13:57  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2020, 10:49:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2020, 10:29:
Flu lethality: 0.1%

Coronavirus: 107000 confirmed cases. 3650 deaths. That's officially 3.5% lethality.

Let's assume that there are 5x more unreported cases than reported. Lethality rate falls to 0.7%, still 7x more deadly than the flu.

Estimated lethality of COVID19 for those of us over 50 is 1.5%. When was the last time you had a disease where you had a 1.5% chance of dying?
Last things first, probably never for me. I agree with everything you said and I'm still not planning on changing my behavior, yet.

In your case, not really much to change. The biggest risk factor is hanging around in places with lots of other people, which you rarely do.

I went running through the tourist district this morning, but I wasn't that concerned. We have tourists from all over the world come here, especially from Asia, so chances are good that someone infected is there. I had two rules. First, only go their early morning. I ran 5:00 to 7:30. No one was on the streets. Second, don't use any public bathrooms or water fountains.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2020, 10:29  jdreyer 

Flu lethality: 0.1%

Coronavirus: 107000 confirmed cases. 3650 deaths. That's officially 3.5% lethality.

Let's assume that there are 5x more unreported cases than reported. Lethality rate falls to 0.7%, still 7x more deadly than the flu.

Estimated lethality of COVID19 for those of us over 50 is 1.5%. When was the last time you had a disease where you had a 1.5% chance of dying?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2020, 10:14  jdreyer 

1badmf wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 16:13:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 14:40:
Everyone stocked up for coronavirus?

stocked up how exactly? other than buckets of tylenol there's really not much to be done.

If the US gets locked down like China, you'll be unable to leave your home for a month. Having a month's worth of food and meds would be a good idea.

Speaking of meds: Coronavirus Raises Prospect Of Generic Drug Shortages

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2020, 10:09  jdreyer 

1badmf wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 16:18:
blatant behavior of a dictator, and yet the right somehow thinks this is ok!?? i only hope they can't rig the election bad enough to win another term for that monster.

The right has always been authoritarian. Remember this?

George W. Bush 'If this were a dictatorship it would be a heck of a lot easier... as long as I'm the dictator. Hehehe.'

News Comments > Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW

7. Re: Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW Mar 8, 2020, 09:55  jdreyer 

Simon Says wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 18:12:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 16:51:
There's a lot I don't like about Tim Sweeney or the way Epic Games conducts business these days but credit where it's due, good on him for supporting this. While it appears the companies pulling their games definitely have every legal right to do so, I think it's a dumb and short-sighted move.

For once I wish he was more short-sighted, game streaming services are a disaster waiting to happen.
Unfortunately, it's the future. May as well be as good as it can be.

News Comments > 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW

15. Re: 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW Mar 8, 2020, 09:42  jdreyer 

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 19:56:
Avus wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 15:16:
it is fxxking ridiculous that game developers think they should get a share from a service renting virtual machine to people who put their (PAID) games into it. Game developers really think their customers should double paid for that??

Yeah, but that's a battle long since past winning. Courts have decades of precedence saying that you cannot use display copyrighted works for commercial purpose without permission of the copyright holder. It doesn't matter if it is to one person or many, or if that person already owns a copy of the game. Just as a bar cannot play a movie to its customers or a store use music without getting license, neither can Nvidia stream games. They aren't streaming YOUR game-files onto their virtual machines, after all; they are using a (presumably legally purchased, although at this point I wouldn't even be too sure of even that) copy of the game down to its customers. The fact that Nvidia only allows you to stream games you already own is not a shield.

Why the fxxk these developers not pull their games for the last 2 years?

At least in some cases, Nvidia came to an agreement with the publishers that they could stream the games during the beta phase of GeForce Now. The problem was that NVidia pushed their product out of beta and into public release without making sure all their partners were okay with that. As we've seen, many (most?) of them are not.

Copyright is, I think we can all agree, well out of whack in this country, but in this case it isn't the game publishers being greedy f**cks. They aren't asking for more than the law allows or even pushing the boundaries. Nvidia is the one who screwed up here. I think the fact that so many publishers are unilaterally pulling all their games also indicates that Nvidia isn't being very compromising on their end either.

Arguably, the game publishers could make more money if they stayed with Nvidia, that people with low-end PCs might buy games they otherwise might not just so they can play them on GeForce now. It may very well be that these publishers are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. But morally and legally they are well within their rights to yank their games.

What's the difference between what NVidia is doing and a cloud client, where presumably you could install any software you want and stream it to any client? We have virtual desktops at work, and we don't need the publisher's permission to install software on them. It's no different than installing on a full client, like a laptop.

6. Re: 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW Mar 7, 2020, 15:24  jdreyer 

Avus wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 15:16:
it is fxxking ridiculous that game developers think they should get a share from a service renting virtual machine to people who put their (PAID) games into it. Game developers really think their customers should double paid for that??

Why the fxxk these developers not pull their games for the last 2 years?
I'm surprised that Nvidia doesn't have more leverage. They're basically a monopoly.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2020, 14:40  jdreyer 

Everyone stocked up for coronavirus?  

33. Re: DOOM Eternal System Requirements Mar 7, 2020, 14:38  jdreyer 

JM wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 12:39:
shiho wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 04:22:
These modern abominations...

Laying it on a little thick aren't we?

Did you get off of his lawn yet?

32. Re: DOOM Eternal System Requirements Mar 7, 2020, 14:33  jdreyer 

Gib007 wrote on Mar 6, 2020, 20:19:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 6, 2020, 19:04:
Considering most people sit close to the screen and do not have huge monitors, 4k is just unnecessary. 2k is more than enough and you don't need a 1080 to run it.

I'm reading this on my Samsung QLED 55" 4K HDR TV that I use as a monitor 50cm from my face.

Problem, VR?

1. Re: 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW Mar 7, 2020, 13:51  jdreyer 

Oh, to be a fly on the wall...  

29958 Comments. 1498 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >