Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21491 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
20. Re: EA Gaming Patents Jan 9, 2018, 16:43 jdreyer

Dynamic difficulty has existed and been touted for nearly two decades. No way should that be any kind of patent. As for the idea of using an algorithm to match up players with the intent of retention, can you patent that? The specific algorithm, sure, but the idea?  

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 9, 2018, 12:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:50:
mag wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 00:35:
Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 14:43:
SupCom was fantastic. I so wish we'd get another one.

Article says Taylor's working on something new. Hopefully it's more Supreme Commander and less Supreme Commander 2. But he wants to bust the genre out of its rut, so I guess we're probably going to get a 5-unit-cap tactical type game or something dumb.

I'm glad he's making another RTS. I never understood why he went with some inane caveman game (or whatever it was, I can't remember) for his Kickstarter rather than what everyone WANTED him to make.

And I doubt he'll make something stupid like that... Please don't let him make something stupid like that...

There was a great interview (during? just after?) the Wildman KS. Chris explained he could make Wildman for $2-3M, but he needed at least $5-6M to finish Kings and Castles. The plan was to do Wildman, and use the profit to finish K & C. He knew there was no way he'd get $5M from KS, even with something as popular as A New Chris Taylor RTS.

Unlike a lot of other companies that use KS, Chris had no alternative source of funding at that time.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 12:23 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 08:22:
We don't need no stinkin' "like" system! Evil

I would "like" this if I could.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 12:17 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 12:10:
secret the dog may just be the dog video to end all dog videos

That's either a border collie or an Australian shepherd, I can't tell which. Regardless, being working breeds, both are among the smarter dogs out there.

Also, Ivan the Crow kindly requests that the dogs stop imitating him.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 12:08 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:04:
I'm just saying, this is nothing new. Companies have been building products to wear out or break sooner than they might purely to induce more future sales for decades. Apple is probably guilty of that, but are they the "worst" offenders? I doubt it.

Not long ago I was at my car dealership for routine maintenance and they informed me my brake pads were down to 25% -- and suggested they be replaced. My reaction was to do the math and realize assuming a consistent wear rate, I'd be back for the next maintenance before the pads were under 15%. So, I said no.

Well, just two months later the "Brake" warning/idiot light was lit on my dash. Why? Because of low brake fluid which apparently was due, at least in part, to the worn brake pad causing "more than normal" movement of the brakes to reach the brake pads. So basically, you can only use 75% of the brake pad without having the car giving you a warning light. Nice.

When the US automakers had shitty quality, other companies stepped in with better offerings, and US sales declined. So US companies had to up their game. Robust competition prevents planned obsolescence.

Apple has more than 20% of the market, and a built in constituency that won't buy any other brand. Pursuing them also fires a shot over the bow of Samsung, Motorola, etc. that this kind of behavior is inexcusable.

EDIT: Ninja's by Cutter

EDIT 2: Speaking of planned obsolescence, France should also be investigating the fact that smart phone batteries are no longer replaceable in most phones. This is a much bigger issue, IMO.

News Comments > PUBG Testing New Crates
5. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Jan 9, 2018, 11:59 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:03:
I've only played PUBG a handful of times.

but crates like this or for overwatch or dota2, where shit is 100% cosmetic, I don't give a fuck about, why are you asking for outrage?

if anything seeing players look different in dota2 or OW makes the experience better, as not seeing the same shit over and over.. yet I should be outraged?

When you combine money with chance, it's gambling. Whether it affects game play or is merely cosmetic is irrelevant. Since the gaming industry can't control its impulses in this regard, we need some regulation.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 05:11 jdreyer

Frans wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 04:24:
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Dr donkles wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:24:
Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.
Blue and you are too optimistic, the only way I can afford to do all this at zero budget is by, uhh, doing not much at all.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 15:02:
Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then.
Exactly, the current hardware and OS are so stable that my arms rarely need to be uncrossed anymore.

Of course, if a much more significant effort will be needed in the future again, I'm going to have to re-negotiate by which factor to multiply my current budget.

If you could implement a "like" system, I could like this comment.

26. Re: Air gun eye injuries rise Jan 9, 2018, 05:09 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 18:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:03:
He removed his goggles for just a moment, to wipe away the colorful paint splattered across them, and then his life changed forever.

Well, that'll learn ya, won't it? You don't wear the goggles just to keep paint out of your eyes because it stings a little, you wear them AT ALL TIMES to prevent your eyeball exploding when it's hit by a screaming projectile at hundreds of feet per second... Ol' one-eye knows that now. 12 years old seems a bit young to be playing whole-hog paintball in the first place, too, especially considering the clear absence of a respect for safety.

It's even worse considering paintball markers for kids exist, and they have regulated speed and forces that don't injure anything even if (as kids stupidly do) someone removes the helmet. The owner of that field should have gone to jail. In my area GoG ENMEy Paintball markers are 18+ only. No child would ever even be let near them. In fact mixed age groups aren't allowed. Adults can of course join in with the kid markers, but not with the pro markers.

Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like "regulation." Unlike you commies, we don't have that here in freedom-loving US of A. We just let the free market guide itself to the optimal solution. Ya gotta break a few eyeballs eggs to make an omelet, amirite?

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
31. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:02 jdreyer

RaZ0r! wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 19:16:
What's the deal with this push to get PC gaming into the living room? Seems like it's been going on for decades, and hasn't worked yet. Who benefits if we all start PC gaming on the couch? Not sure I get it.

Older PC gamers like us that have kids now and hate the vertical gardens of the console world.

30. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:01 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 17:38:
Acer and HP will also be making these in addition to Asus and Nvidia itself. I expect prices to be $8k USD.

$8K strikes me as a bit high, but $3K I could see easily. Maybe even $4K.

29. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:00 jdreyer

Luke wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 17:01:
Sure lets get a 65" for all those fantastic games out there....gezz

Don't knock it, man. FTL on 65" and 4K looks FANTASTIC.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2018, 15:45 jdreyer

AMD Shows Off 2018 Ryzen Processor Roadmap and Slashes Prices.

Even with these slashed prices, it would appear the best bang for the buck is the Core i5 8400.

Why would you ever pay for an 8600K?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:22 jdreyer

New street light runs on dog waste.

The tricky part is training the dogs to crap in the Mr. Fusion receptacle.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:10 jdreyer

Scott Open To Do Another "Blade Runner."

Sorry man. 2049 didn't make enough money. Or as someone put it:

"You made a sequel 30 years later to an intellectual sci fi film noir that didn't make any money, and you're wondering why your movie didn't make any money?" Granted, that's a bit reductive given the original's eventual recognition as one of the greatest sci fi films ever made, but as we're seeing with TLJ, critical acclaim doesn't always satisfy audiences.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:02 jdreyer

Dr donkles wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:24:
Frans is the mans. Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.

Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then. Frans is worth his weight in gold.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 14:55 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:19:
"The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of this station."

What.. the actual.. fuck? A private corporation running a police department?

It's just the next step in our evolution to full corporatocracy. You might get a sense of how this will work out by watching Continuum.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2018, 14:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:39:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:53:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 11:10:
Pretty funny/shitty how the Meltdown bug was exposed right before CES for Intel. Might be a tough crowd.

I've been too busy dadding it over the last couple weeks, what's going on with intel and their horribly made new generation cores?

It's not just their new ones, this bug goes all the way back to 1995. And while Meltdown is primarily an Intel bug, Spectre is on every processor made since then.

Essentially the bug allows a h@xx0r to read protected areas in the processor in plain text. This means that literally anything you type can be read through it, utterly nullifying the most secure setups.

There is a fix for Meltdown, but it's basically causing the processor to put everything in separate threads/tables, and it's causing some pretty hefty slowdowns in certain areas (especially VMs).

Spectre will be much harder to patch, but fortunately also much harder to exploit. Meltdown is dead simple to exploit.

Nice summation.

14. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 14:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:34:

I use a 32 inch TV myself, and I can't even imagine going bigger than that. For the typical PC - Desk setup, 65 inch is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too large, so that massively limits your initial market to people who PC on their couch or something.

0.45% of Steam has a 4K monitor, but most of those are probably 27 or 30 inch, and those monitors will be only a few years old at most. I think Nvidia may be drastically overestimating their potential clientele here. It's not as if this is aimed at the console market either, this is purely a dedicated PC monitor.

Maybe they're going for the market of people who PC game on their living room PCs (like I do) and are looking for something as a main living room display, but also has all the PC monitor bells and whistles (HDR, 120Hz, gsync, etc.)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2018, 14:39 jdreyer

I was so disappointed they never got to finish Kings and Castles.  

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
26. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 14:38 jdreyer

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:20:

* snip *

And now, it's Below. Take an hour out of your day and watch Leonard French's legal analysis of the latest filings. It turns out that the original licensing document, the one that CryTek did not attach to both their initial complaint as well as their amended complaint, specified that CIG was licensing the engine for both Star Citizen and for Squadron 42. Both titles were named in the document. If you're not familiar with his work, Mr. French is a practicing copyright attorney in Pennsylvania. He's also a gamer, this case intersects both of those interests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4R8JsJa9A

Great post explaining everything, thanks Peter.

21491 Comments. 1075 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo