Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 24294 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
14. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 15:38 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 12:14:
Avus wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 20:39:
why a space sim game need this??

Obviously once he implements real time hand tracking and then in-game video chat between avatars, we're going to have the most realistic cybersex simulator ever. You can actually *watch* your boring-ass character model jerk off in the empty depths of space to someone who you are pretty sure is not a woman, but still get to see each other's O face rendered in real time.

Edit: It seems obvious at this point he has no interest in releasing a game. He's trying to create the Metaverse from Snow Crash. I'm sure somewhere in his fantasies he sees business men meeting from across the planet in Star Citizen to have business meetings because of his face tracking technology. You'll know it for sure when he goes out of his way to include as much body language as possible.

And the spoog will be rendered with perfect zero-G physics that took 10 developers two years to get right.

Second Life in Spaaaaaaaaace!

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer
33. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 15:09 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 15:06:
i blame jdreyer

I got my wish!

Got a meeting now, but I'll check out the trailer in an hour or so.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer
32. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 15:07 jdreyer

Woot! Alright, people. Let's crank it up to 100!

Anyone seen DS?

Yes, I'm in it for teh lulz

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2018, 07:31 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 21:22:
At least it wasted a lot of a Helium, a limited resource.
The film’s mounting sense of dread prepares us for what happens next: the balloons are promptly brought down by an approaching storm. They wreak havoc on the city, litter Lake Erie, and, tragically, impede a Coast Guard search and rescue mission for two missing fishermen. Balloonfest serves as a sobering reminder of the short-sightedness of humankind.
Limited?? It's the second most abundant element in the galaxy after hydrogen!!1

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2018, 07:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 21:18:
What Tesla gives they can take away, plus much much more.

They don't let you run the battery below 20%. Makes the battery pack last longer. Looks like they are breaking this limit for the hurricane.

9. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 07:17 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 01:25:
They're going to introduce smell-o-vision to the game so you can smell virtual farts in space.

There's nothing better than a fart in a flight suit.

8. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 07:17 jdreyer

In software development, there's the concept of minimum viable product (MVP). You build your base, then you iterate, adding features. This face tracking crap is as far away from MVP that you can get for a space sim.  

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Story Trailer
3. Re: Just Cause 4 Story Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 06:39 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 20:32:
Story trailer. Heh. If it's longer than a minute, it's not a trailer, it's the whole story. (edit: It's still like 1:10 of action shots and 29 seconds of 'story.')

There seriously can't be a single person that plays Just Cause for the story?

I play Just Cause for the action, but also for the deep lore storytelling.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 17:50 jdreyer

US may have by far the world's biggest military budget but it's not showing in security.

Time to start paying private sector salaries.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 17:47 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:45:
So, they had a bug reporting system which didn't allow the bug reporters to set a severity problem level? Nice. Their level of incompetence on a scale of 1-10 is an 11.

Severity? Pshh.

When I was a young testling, our bugs didn't even have a description or repro steps. That's the way it was, and we liked it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2018, 17:41 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 14:36:
https://i.imgur.com/rKkmsFW.jpg

almost feel like clicking that "report inappropriate predictions" but I feel like Google's predictive AI is dead on accurate with this one.

Now try it with "Donald Trump is"

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2018, 17:40 jdreyer

If only there were some nationwide organization that could regulate massive monolithic companies.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 13:47 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 10:58:
I've had the flu twice in 50 years on this planet. Thanks but I'll risk it. Yes the odds of contracting GBS are small but if you do you'll wish you never took the risk of the shot of catching a virus that most people never catch but once or twice a lifetime anyway. It's all in how you define risk. People die crossing the street everyday too but I don't see them banning cars.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that the vast majority of those flu deaths are the very elderly or very young, most of which have other major health issues. It's not like they're healthy adults dropping dead in the streets.

Annual deaths from GBS: 600+
Annual deaths from the flu: 80,000

Also, this:
Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination.

So if you really don't want GBS, don't get the flu. If only there was some way of preventing the flu...

My uncle died from the flu. He was 55.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 10, 2018, 13:30 jdreyer

The Long, Weird Story Explaining Why I Bid $700 For a Stolen PSN Account.

"Lose 10 pounds in one week with this one weird trick!"

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2018, 13:29 jdreyer

The European social democracies have surpassed the US on many levels including political representation, happiness, health, education, etc. You're even twice as likely in those European countries to raise yourself out of poverty than in the US. The USA is falling behind in these areas, and our worship of pure capitalism is a large part of the reason.  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 02:08 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 20:30:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 14:21:
MisterBenn wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 11:29:
Happy anniversary! I didn't have an account back then but I caught up with Blues News and Planet Quake every time I logged on to the internet as a student back in the mid 90s. It's bonkers to keep going for so long.

Doctor Who might be making a splash (the reach of BBC's promotion is pretty big, and there's an extra stir this time round casting a women as the Doctor for the first time) - but I've tried watching recent episodes a couple of times, and didn't think much of it. I think that's because it's very mainstream, and I suspect aimed at younger people than me. The dialogue particularly struck me as bad in the pieces I caught previously, I remember getting caught up in the buzz for Peter Capaldi getting the role, and when I tuned in I remember distinctly thinking that he was way too good for this!
Currently watching S3 with David Tennant and loving it. Campy, yes, but also quite inventive, and the characters have great chemistry.

a friend dragged me kicking and screaming into a binge evening of doctor who, and i'm glad she did. it was as cheesy as i remember from the tom baker doctor i watched as a kid, but very surprisingly it also has a strong humanist streak that I very much enjoy and did not expect. i'm up to season 7 i think and frankly loving every minute of it.

One of the few shows the entire family can watch and be entertained, kids and all. Our other family-time show is "Faces of Death."

General Discussion > Favorite Listening material while working?
1. Favorite Listening material while working? Oct 9, 2018, 19:27 jdreyer

When I'm coding, I like to listen to white noise like thunderstorms or babbling brooks. I also like to listen to soundtracks:
- Blade Runner
- Inception
- Interstellar
- Oblivion (M83)
- StarCraft

What do you all listen to?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 9, 2018, 18:45 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 14:13:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 13:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 11:35:
El Pit wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 11:15:
For about 70% more money I expect 70% better performance! As I did with nvidia's RTX, by the way.

Why? There's always diminishing returns at the top. Always. In every single category of every single product.

If you want something bleedingly new and cutting edge, you're paying a premium for it. The performance per dollar is never in favor of the highest end products. Anywhere. Ever.

I feel like people on this site have kind of lost that. Like we used to know it - we used to look at the top end products and think about how cool the performance was but realize it wasn't made for us and it wasn't going to be something we'd buy - instead we'd buy something half the price and 75% the performance. But lately it seems like everyone here is demanding value from the highest tier products. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Granted,the top end is always pricey and in this case, unless you are running 4k gaming you probably don't need top end in most cases. But in this instance, the lower priced AMD products clearly are very competitive with the Intel's best, hence why even bother spending a lot more money for a few fractions performance increase?

One important note on the new Intel processors, they do not come with a cooler and they are well known to run hot, so you have to add on a decent cooler to the cost while the AMD competition comes with a very good one in the box.

You can use intel current motherboards, but you have to flash the bios, not something I like to do.

All in all a desparate attempt by Intel to stall. Going to get really desparate when AMD releases their 7nm line.

Totally agree that Intel is really hitting a wall here.

Were I to build now, I'd be considering AMD as much as Intel. No one has reasonably said that for a gaming PC since 2011. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing they may be the smart choice in the price point I'd be looking. It'd only be my second AMD build - the last was an Athlon back in 2001 or 2002.

Same here. Had an Athlon in the early aughts, but been all Intel since then. My next build will be "which proc/motherboard combo gives best game perf for $400?"

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 18:38 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 18:18:
That's because it's not Dr. Who anymore, it's Dr. Snowflake and the SJW patrol.

What's wrong with a female doctor?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 14:21 jdreyer

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 11:29:
Happy anniversary! I didn't have an account back then but I caught up with Blues News and Planet Quake every time I logged on to the internet as a student back in the mid 90s. It's bonkers to keep going for so long.

Doctor Who might be making a splash (the reach of BBC's promotion is pretty big, and there's an extra stir this time round casting a women as the Doctor for the first time) - but I've tried watching recent episodes a couple of times, and didn't think much of it. I think that's because it's very mainstream, and I suspect aimed at younger people than me. The dialogue particularly struck me as bad in the pieces I caught previously, I remember getting caught up in the buzz for Peter Capaldi getting the role, and when I tuned in I remember distinctly thinking that he was way too good for this!
Currently watching S3 with David Tennant and loving it. Campy, yes, but also quite inventive, and the characters have great chemistry.

24294 Comments. 1215 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo