Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 23318 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 12:54 jdreyer

Hubless Wheels + Aircraft Motor = Awesome.

If you're going to make something that futuristic (and that big) may as well go full electric.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 04:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 17:12:
Wow, I'm guessing things are a might grim in England atm. So close, yet so very, very far.

British pundits were stupid to make fun of Croatia before the match.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 12, 2018, 04:21 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:14:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 20:11:
That food sharing app is a good idea.
I have 2 containers I'm afraid to open, 1 block of fur that if you cut enough off I think you'll find cheese and a swollen gallon milk container from when Obama was president.
What you got?

I have fresh cherries that I bought back during the Bush administration I'll trade you for them. The first Bush administration.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 12, 2018, 04:19 jdreyer

Turd Ferguson wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 14:22:
Nope. Might be a good time to find a new phone, something that is not made by Apple I reckon.

Spending $1000 on the latest iPhone model always fixes the issue.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2018, 04:15 jdreyer

Aw, that's not a bite, that's just a nibble.

Now THAT'S a bite.

News Comments > The Culling 2 Launches: Players Quickly Culled
4. Re: The Culling 2 Launches: Players Quickly Culled Jul 12, 2018, 04:05 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 22:39:
Battleborn & Law Breakers: "Guess we've become the yard stick for measurement of game failure?"

The Culling 2: "Hold my beer"

I culled two beers from my fridge tonight. That's better than the "Culling 2" and cheaper to boot.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Jul 11, 2018, 16:16 jdreyer

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 05:16:
While I do think that Joaquin could end up being a great Joker (moreso than Jared Leto), the Joker really doesn't need an origin story at all.

This is my issue. I have nothing against Joaquin, but who has been clamoring for a Joker movie?

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 12:47 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 21:51:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 20:48:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hydra9268/saved/Lz7YTW
4K 60+ FPS gaming here I come! Dance
I'd save some money by getting a smaller M.2 drive (the 250 is 110) and use that money to buy the faster i7-8700k and complement it with faster memory. 500gb is not very big so I assume you are already using your older drives.

If you're going to be video editing, I can see the case for an i7, but all the reviews I remember reading showed no difference between an i7 and an i5 for gaming.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jul 10, 2018, 22:02 jdreyer

Bleh.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 19:54 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 15:52:
I get the same thing, maybe it is some kind of loop protection? I have certainly used the url tags for longer addresses than that.

There's a long standing bug with word length on Blues.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
24. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:45 jdreyer

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:08:
Overall, Price just seems like a person who can't handle criticism and has a toxic and hostile personality (based off of her past twitter posts and being glad for TotalBiscuit's death). Just because you've worked in some industry doesn't mean that you can't be criticized for it.

As an artsy person, I know well enough that any job that requires creativity and is out there for the public to see/read/hear is going to be scrutinized. If she wants to have a long career in this industry (regardless of gender), she's going to need to be able to grow thick skin to handle feedback in the future and understand that even in her social media, she is representing the company that she works for. Unfortunately, based off of her quotes in this interview, it doesn't seem like she's learnt anything at all. And this isn't because she's female. It's all about her toxic personality. Stuff like this has already happened to male developers (Phil Fish comes to mind).

It's a shame because I do agree with her original post about writing characters for MMOs and it initially seemed like a great jumping-off point to start some interesting discussions about the subject, but her reply to Denoir was just out of place and unwarranted. I actually feel bad for ArenaNet since they're in a lose-lose situation. Some people will think that they over-reacted in the firings but if they let those two staff members stick around, the already-annoyed-and-fickle Guild Wars 2 community would just be more pissed off when anything wrong pops up (which it often does sadly) and that the company doesn't listen to them or give a shit if their employees treat their customers in a hostile manner.

As a former manager, I'll say that my most problematic employees were also my best ones. It cuts both ways, and it's the responsibility of management to reign them in. This doesn't excuse what Price did, but I feel ArenaNet failed here.

23. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:43 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 18:15:
And again, I totally get that an amateur acting like a professional as they contradict an actual professional about things they really have no experience about is frustrating. Were I to walk into a kitchen and start debating a Michelin chef on the right way to make a roux because I once watched a show on TV, I'd be a jerk, even if I were being polite.

I think a better analogy is a connoisseur of roux who, after consuming quite a bit of the stuff, had some ideas that he wanted to discuss recipes with the chef, after said chef had invited said discussion.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 10, 2018, 14:59 jdreyer

Very meta.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 13:25 jdreyer

Linthat22 wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 13:21:
Pours an astro Colt 45 for Lando, R.I.P.

Yeah, I'm kind of done with this series. Looking forward to the new series done by the GoT folks (if that ever even gets made). Bewbs and lightsabers are a match made in the stars!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 13:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 13:09:
Heil Twittler pardons ranchers whose case sparked Bundy takeover of Oregon refuge
smh

The election can't come soon enough.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 13:22 jdreyer

Mr. Rogers subtle battle against racism.

Amazing man. As I've mentioned before, he gave the commencement speech at my graduation. I was cynical at the choice at the time, but the speech blew me away. One of the greats.

I had no idea he was hated by conservatives.

Also, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about his documentary. It currently sits at 99% on RT.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 13:06 jdreyer

Ozone hole mystery: China insulating chemical said to be source of rise.

"Oh shucks, you caught us!"

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2018, 12:58 jdreyer

As you'd expect when you outsource your candidate list to the Federalist Society. On the other hand, if Trump had decided himself, Michael Cohen or Jared would be on the SCOTUS.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2018, 12:57 jdreyer

That's some serious zoom.  

9. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 12:44 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:34:
I get her point that people are assholes that don't believe experts agree, particularly gamers that think they could do the job of any dev just as well, but this tweet wasn't the right tweet to do this over.

Not sure I think they should have been fired instead of reprimanded for the first time, but ArenaNet's response in that article seems pretty level-headed to me. She was representing the company, not herself.

Here's the key quote for me, and may explain why she reacted the way she did.

“Male game devs deal with it too. Gamers don’t seem to believe expertise exists. But it’s not the constant deluge it is for women. Which was the point of the tweets that Peter made that got him fired: He was saying, ‘Hey, this is about gender, because I’m out here talking about the same stuff she’s talking about, and this doesn’t happen to me.’”

Still, the commenter was respectfully opening a dialog, and she stomped on him in an unprofessional manner. I agree that firing was going to far, and this could have been a learning moment for both the devs and the fans if this had been handled through apologies and dialog. Instead, we have a situation where everyone's opinions are hardened: the devs feel wronged, and the fans that organized feel emboldened and encouraged. There can be no rapprochement in this situation. It's lose-lose.

23318 Comments. 1166 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo