Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 22203 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
5. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 20, 2018, 03:08 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 16:02:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 15:40:
I bought it, I played it for a bit, and it didn't grab me. So maybe the answer to the question was "Because it was boring?"

Have to agree here, nothing they did with that game grabbed me, it was just immensely boring to play both before and after the "fixes"

Glad I wasn't the only one!

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 02:57 jdreyer

Heh, was hoping Bats would stop by to offer some choice words about Ninja.  

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 20, 2018, 02:54 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 02:28:
...when a female walking outside of the crosswalk crossed the road from west to east...

So a human was behaving irrationally, and the driving algorithms failed to anticipate and proactively avoid the collision?

IMO, that's how most accidents happen with human drivers...

The thing is, through analysis and enhancements, this AI is only going to get better. Unlike humans.

It will be interesting to know if this was an accident a human could have avoided, although that seems to be the implication.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans
6. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 20, 2018, 02:46 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 23:27:
This time DX12 will be worth it! Yet more empty promises?

In any case, it's a nice demo, but what about this can't be done with current graphics technology?

Might be less about "can it be done" and more about "how much more easily it's done?" I think Zoom captured it well.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 19:15 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:40:
Rick and Morty limbo

NOOOOOOoooOOOooo

They're going to renew. They'd be crazy not to. One does wonder WTF they are doing over there.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 19:12 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:28:
Nuking asteroids makes for good headlines and bad movies.
In actuality it's pure folly.
Bill Bryson devotes a chapter about how it will never be a thing, and a reassuring section on the the aftermath of a world ender hitting terra firma.

Nuking an asteroid to stop an imminent collision will never be a thing. Nuking an asteroid to knock it off a collision course in 20 years could be.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2018, 19:03 jdreyer

Two months of daily GTA causes “no significant changes” in behavior.

GTA is a bad test game. The propensity for violence is counteracted by all those digital BJs.

As for two months, I think that's plenty of time to effect a behavioral change if played daily. Military basic training is 9 weeks for example, and results in a lot of behavioral changes.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2018, 18:54 jdreyer

Graham wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 15:34:
Use a business machine to play games? Ridiculous. <-80s and 90s

Use professional animation hardware to play games? Ridiculous. <2000s to to 2010

Use a smartphone to play games? Ridiculous. <- You are here.

What is wrong with you people, seriously?

End thread.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2018, 18:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 12:06:
Plan on spending half the price of an $800 smartphone on insurance and deductible. Plus wrap that beautiful objet d'art in an ugly ass hunk of rubber and plastic.

Yeah my phone has a beautiful bamboo back. It's really a beautiful phone, to the point that it shipped with a clear plastic bumper so I could both protect and display the phone. I ordered a case anyway, since the bumper didn't offer enough protection.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Mar 19, 2018, 16:27 jdreyer

Beyond some cool lighting effects, what else does this offer?  

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
22. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 14:30 jdreyer

Hey, does anyone have experience using mixed reality headsets for VR games? The price point seems much better than Rift or Vive. Here's one for $250. Here's another for $220.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 19, 2018, 14:14 jdreyer

Thanks for letting me know about Surviving Mars. I'm very interested, but it sounds like it's half-baked.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2018, 06:46 jdreyer

rawbelly wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 23:20:
I always cringe so hard when I see a Twitch clip of someone freaking out over a game. Mostly because they are actually serious.

Also, Wreck it Ralph is SO cool!

It is a great movie with real heart. Part of the genius is in the casting of Sarah Silverman and John C. Reilly who have voices perfect for CG and great chemistry (same goes basically for the entire supporting cast). Can't wait for the sequel.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 19, 2018, 06:43 jdreyer

Klaus Flouride wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 04:50:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 03:41:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Russian politicians look good to their people in the short term. Long term, it helps Russian defence/expansion. I've seen people say NATO should be disbanded because Europe has *already* been invaded, that's hugely beneficial to any Russian hawks who want to nibble away at more of Ukraine. Also just revenge, supposedly Putin was pissed about the Panama Papers revealing his secrets.

Putin doesn't need to lift a finger to take down NATO countries, they're doing a fine job of destroying themselves.

But I'm holding out hope that the refugees will integrate into western culture, they just need to be treated with kindness and love.

The issue is the politicians are the ones that want the refugees, the average person does not.

Yeah, I'm sure there's some empirically proven number of immigrants you can let in to get the benefit of diversity without destabilizing a society. Germany, Italy, Greece, and some other countries seem to be way over that limit.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
16. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 19, 2018, 06:41 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 00:25:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Russian politicians look good to their people in the short term. Long term, it helps Russian defence/expansion. I've seen people say NATO should be disbanded because Europe has *already* been invaded, that's hugely beneficial to any Russian hawks who want to nibble away at more of Ukraine. Also just revenge, supposedly Putin was pissed about the Panama Papers revealing his secrets.

more like every antagonistic action that Putin's Russia has made is in direct reaction to the actions of the West

the main action being the Eastward expansion of NATO and the encirclement of Russia with ABM complexes.

I'll agree it was a bad move to try to get countries right on Russia's border into NATO on the one hand. Ukraine's imminent joining probably caused Russia to take Crimea before he would have to deal with the full weight of NATO.

On the other hand, the Russian government are thugs, killing and jailing journalists, oppo leaders, and anyone else that gets in their way.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
3. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 19, 2018, 06:36 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 02:53:
It's Stardock...
You say that like it's a bad thing...

News Comments > Ghost of a Tale Released
11. Re: Ghost of a Tale Released Mar 19, 2018, 06:35 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 01:17:
Turns out there's a Redwall game in development.

Huh, who knew. Thanks.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 23:17 jdreyer

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 21:49:
(And who the hell names their company "Bluehole" anyway? You're just asking for it at that point.)

Probably someone that's a fan of blue holes, and is older than 12.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 18, 2018, 18:26 jdreyer

My favorite video game movies are Edge of Tomorrow and Wreck-It Ralph.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 15:48 jdreyer

Anus Horribilis- A Year Ago Today, Someone Did a Number Two So Bad it Grounded a Plane.

I just want to apologize again to everyone I inconvenienced that day. I really, really wish I hadn't eaten all that bean chili the night before.

22203 Comments. 1111 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo