Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17265 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 03:35 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:46:
Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:24:
As I was saying in another thread a week or two ago, though, we'll all be replaced by robots. I doubt many people here couldn't be replaced by robots or AI at some point. Doubt many people at all. Actors? Replaceable. CEOs? Replaceable. Police? Replaceable (ED-209!)

The required several dozen AI breakthroughs are not something you gonna see in your lifetime though... AI may beat us at GO, but it sure as hell isn't capable of intelligent behavior, and we are still decades away from an AI that has a mental capacity on par with a dog.

As a start, if we have even 10% of the customer service reps in 10 years that we do now I'd be shocked.

Right, all those call centers/chat centers in India will shortly be replaced with AIs. Those people already follow a script, I'm sure they're already working on an AI to handle all that. And voice recognition is getting better and better.

Also, too: taxis

TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 03:30 jdreyer

Bodolza wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 12:35:
Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 11:43:
As always there's never been any shortage of skilled workers, just greedy employers who don't want to pay people decently for their work.

You don't know what you're talking about. As someone who's done some hiring in the tech industry, I can absolutely tell you there is a shortage of skilled workers. I've spent months interviewing people from all over the country for some positions. Or do you think $150K/year salary isn't decent pay?

The real problem is the abuse of the H-1B visa program by companies taking advantage of poor oversight and enforcement.

This is a huge problem. Companies push for H1-Bs, knowing out of country workers will accept lower salaries, since they can take home dollars and they're worth 10x as much back home. Companies decry that there are no workers, when it's just the case they don't want to pay for native ones.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
102. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2016, 01:38 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:28:

For instance, bring manufacturing back to the USA. Non college person reaction - great we can work again! We can work at the factories. College educated reaction -- Wait, what about automation? The tech trend toward manufacturing is counter to the early industrial notion, the "division of labor" -- if anything single machines are able to replace multiple roles and this hasn't slowed down, it's sped up. Companies may bring back manufacturing to save export / import costs (and tariffs etc.), but cheap human labor is already being replaced by robots abroad - with plans to automate entire factories. How will that give you a job? How will you learn new skills?

I hate the whitewashing of shitty Liberal trade policies that flies under the guise of "oh its just the march of progress!". The idea that we can just put 1/3 of our workers back into factories is absurd but we also can't proceed with more international trade policy when we can't even agree on the ramifications. I'd also like to see serious concessions for the fucking insane trade deficits we've had to stomach for the past 20 years and let's see some of that used for retraining an increasingly depressed working class. Is Trump the man to get that done? Who the fuck knows at this point. I sure as hell hope he tries.
I was opposed to the TPP, but I'll point out that our biggest trade deficit is with China, and they weren't included in the TPP. In fact, that was a bright spot in the agreement, that it was an attempt to limit Chinese trade hegemony.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2016, 00:36 jdreyer

538 gives the Skins a 30% to win. Not good, but that's also the same chance they gave Trump to win and we all know how that turned out.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2016, 12:35 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 12:24:
So what are you yanks going to do tomorrow? Drink beer? Eat turkey? Watch football? Shoot off guns? Chant USA! USA! USA? In that order?

Invade Canada in the morning. Finished and back home for turkey dinner. Cuz Trudy pissed Trump off.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 12:30 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 12:18:
Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 11:43:
Brain drain? More like put Americans back to work. This was a big part of why Trump won. We see no shortage of articles in the news where US workers are being canned and have to train their replacements in the process. As always there's never been any shortage of skilled workers, just greedy employers who don't want to pay people decently for their work.

For manufacturing, this simply isn't true. The US has a huge lack of manufacturing ability. It's been 30 years since these jobs started disappearing - that's an entire generation.

Not to say we couldn't get it back, but it would fumble. Fumble a lot. Numerous companies have tried doing manufacturing here and stopped because it was costlier than expected due to being far less efficient than overseas.

If anyone wants to be really angry at the state of US manufacturing, go read the Wikipedia article on Huffy bikes. Or find the articles on how Walmart bullied Rubbermaid into closing its US manufacturing, selling its machines overseas, then contracting with those buyers to make their product.

Actually, US manufacturing has shown a steady increase over the decades. It's at an all time high, but manufacturing isn't the issue. It's that all the jobs previously done manually have been replaced by automation. So, no jobs. And adding more factories won't help. A factory just doesn't need 1000s of workers today like it did in the 50s or even the 80s.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 12:25 jdreyer

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 10:16:
"Trump’s Immigration Crackdown Could Spark a Tech Brain Drain"
Another Blue fear mongering article.

Is he an illegal immigrant? Then he is here illegally. If not..what is the point of this article? Just because he is Hispanic he is scared all the sudden? And you people wonder why you lost the election

First, congratulations on your white penis!

Second, some of my foreign tech acquaintances who are here legally have already found themselves getting more racist comments since the election. This isn't some theoretical change. Trump's campaign rhetoric of deporting all the illegals and instituting things like Muslim bans and registries has brought the racists out of the woodwork. These people don't differentiate between types of brown people, they're all targets.

Third, hate crimes are demonstrably up since the election. That's just fact.

Given all this, why would you stay if you had skills and could work anywhere?

80. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 22, 2016, 14:57 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 13:18:
Bernie Sanders had some great ideas on education and retraining for exactly this purpose. Sure some were flights of fancy that could never have been funded but compelling stuff nonetheless. Shame the Dems didn't run him.

Of any of the candidates, he certainly had the best ideas on what causes and how to address a lot of the domestic ills this country faces. You have to think that between Sanders' appeals to the working class, and the Dem minority coalition, he would have cleaned up.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2016, 14:52 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 13:18:
Quoted for truth
For 53 years, a cottage industry has developed over the motive for the Kennedy assassination. It had to be connected to the Mafia or the Russians or the Cubans or Oswald’s Marxist beliefs or Jack Ruby’s petty crimes in the Dallas underworld. The public has embraced the notion that the greatest crime of the 20th century must have been the product of an equally grandiose conspiracy.

I dunno, I have no idea what the truth is, but this helps us get closer for sure. It also might help explain how Kennedy got shot, if he was aiming for Connally: the car is moving forward during the bullet travel time so anything aimed at John would hit Jack. Probably didn't occur to Oswald to lead a moving target.

That being said, there do seem to be a lot of unanswered questions out there.

- If Connally was Oswald's real target, why not just shoot him at home? It's not like the governor had a Secret Service detail. Why do it when he's with the president, ostensibly the most difficult time to accomplish the goal of killing Connally?

- Why was there a pristine rifle bullet placed on Kennedy's stretcher?

- Why were FBI sharpshooters unable to hit the broad side of a barn with Oswald's rifle?

- So convenient that Jack Ruby shot Oswald so he couldn't be interrogated!

Etc.

13. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 22, 2016, 14:35 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 14:04:
Look, the guys suing are idiots, no doubt, but Chipotle's advertising on this was clearly misleading. They should face some sort of fine for deceptive advertising, and the morons suing them should get reimbursed the cost of a burrito.

Chipotle needs punitive damages in order to dissuade them and others from engaging in such misleading behavior in the future. Certainly they made a lot of sales off people who thought the burritos were much healthier than they were.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2016, 13:49 jdreyer

Chipotle's '300-calorie burrito' left customer too full, and he's suing.

He didn't read the fine print.

Only 300 calories! *

* Based on a portion size of one third of one burrito.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 22, 2016, 13:21 jdreyer

'Quit Social Media. Your Career May Depend on It.'

Or you could, you know, never start.

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
105. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 22, 2016, 13:18 jdreyer

Peeeling wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 07:04:
Am I wrong on how this works?

If anything you're low-balling the problem.

I'd be interested to know what fraction of backers are imagining running through one of these massive ships in FPS combat, while a battle rages outside and beam weapons tear through the ship. Shooting out a window, leaping outside onto the hull and diving in through the hole a missile has made.

I'm interested to know how you get so many people in one place in a huge open world like that...

77. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 13:11 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 11:01:
Well I'm shocked. Absolutely nobody saw this coming!

Trump team won't pursue charges against Hillary Clinton

As I said before, I've never seen a political candidate so swiftly abandon the entire platform on which he was elected.

76. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 13:09 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 10:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 04:37:
BobBob wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 18:18:
I can feel the normalization coming. Or I'm tired of feeling shocked, scared, and hopeless. I guess I'll just hope the California political forcefield can protect us for 4 years ... or more.

California is on the path to secession, so you'll have it made in the shade.

At this time it might as be the National Inquirer story, living there, there is next to no talk about this. There is a very small group that also has been wanting to split the state into 3 or 4 states. It makes good news at 11pm I suppose but it has no legs and imo that group is way out in front of the succession one. That said a east/west coast split as a test would be interesting.

These secession talks are just silly. It was stupid when TX talked of it after Obama's election, and it's just as stupid now with CA. No one is going anywhere.

75. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 22, 2016, 13:05 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 09:55:
People mocked Trump's reluctance about accepting the results of the election but now many of the same pundits are making noise about the "popular" vote. To me it doesn't matter, she still lost no matter what. Whether she won the popular the vote by 3 million or 100,000, she lost the election. Frankly I'm not sure I would be so quick to trumpet (no pun intended!) the popular vote results when you look at the sheer amount of media backing and money behind her, I would be embarrassed by her performance. Either way its water under the bridge, shes done and there's no going back so the hand wringing is kind of silly.

Nope, Trump won fair and square, according to the rules. He's the legitimate president. However, the rules are patently unfair and need to be changed. They give more weight to votes in small states like Rhode Island and Wyoming than populous states like Texas and California. This has many negative consequences:

1. Campaigns focus on a few swing states that are in play, and ignore states that are in the bag. A national popular vote puts all states in play equally.

2. Voters in states that aren't in play don't participate since the outcome for their state is viewed as preordained. TX will never vote Dem for Pres, nor will Cali ever go Repub. This suppresses turnout, makes people feel disenfranchised, and delegitimizes the government in their eyes.

3. When a candidate gets millions more votes than the person that ends up being president, that undermines the legitimacy of government and feeds political apathy.

4. It perpetuates the two party system, narrowing choice and political viewpoints.

5. Parties design platforms to appeal to these less populous states, since they are more valuable. This abrogates policies that affect the majority of Americans.

I don't think its in the Republicans favor to dismantle the EC when it just won them the election either. Refactoring voting districts on the other hand, I can see that happening.

They won't fix either. They are a minority party who are in power because of the EC and gerrymandering. In Wisconsin for example, the votes are roughly split for Dems and Repubs for state elected office. But in the state house and senate, the Repubs hold nearly a 2 to 1 advantage after redrawing districts packing Dems in a few districts while ensuring the rest will be won by Repubs.

61. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 04:59 jdreyer

unfortunately wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 17:35:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 16:22:
SacredGinmill wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:44:
So the guy is a billionaire
-source?

now President
-he won against the worst candidate in history.

And still lost the popular vote by millions.

Also, too: time to get rid of the EC.

Good thing would-be's like yourself don't have any real influence. Have you read Madison/Federalist Papers? Do you know what 'tyranny of the majority' is? What the role of the Electoral College is re:same? Or would you like to abrogate well-considered protections simply because you don't favor the result of an election? The daily wall of self-proclaimed pol expert posts on this site is laughable. You may look into some humility- if you do so constructively, perhaps we'll see less pretentious pol narrative nonsense on this gaming website.

First, right now we have a tyranny of the minority, which is much worse than the tyranny of the majority. That's akin to Assad's Alawites ruling Syria or Saddam Hussein's Sunni's ruling Iraq.

Second, if the presidency were to be decided by popular vote, there would be no Tyranny of the Majority. That's what checks and balances are for. The Republicans (from a nationwide voting perspective) would still hold the house and senate, and due to gerrymandering, will do so for my lifetime. Checks and balances are in effect.

Third, the electoral college system was a compromise to slave states, so they wouldn't be outvoted by the more populous abolitionist north. It has long since outlived its usefulness in that regard. Why do you love slavery so much?

Fourth, if the Republicans don't want to lose the popular vote, maybe they should change some positions to have a bit more broad appeal.

Fifth, getting rid of the EC will put ALL states in play, instead of letting a few swing states decide the election.

The presidency is the only federal elected position that isn't directly elected. It's long past time to change that: the senate went that route 100 years ago. The EC is patently unfair: it concentrates power in the hands of rural less populated states, states which do not at all represent the values or lives of the majority of people living in this country. It is, by definition, oppressive.

60. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 04:37 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 18:18:
I can feel the normalization coming. Or I'm tired of feeling shocked, scared, and hopeless. I guess I'll just hope the California political forcefield can protect us for 4 years ... or more.

California is on the path to secession, so you'll have it made in the shade.

59. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 04:28 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 21:10:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 19:46:
Some of you are massively overreaching here. This isn't about college vs. blue collar because even the white collar is finally getting F'd in the A and they've had it too. The GOP has to make good on a lot of this stuff because it's their last kick at the can. This wasn't a pro-Trump vote, it was anti-establishment. Kill the TPP and NAFTA, bring back fair trade and end free trade. Even the dumbest republican understands that, more than anything else, is key to their survival. If it doesn't happen the GOP will be fucking crucified. If the Dems were so smart they should have went with Bernie.

This profound analysis and insight is coming straight to us from the great igloo think-tank.

Believe it or not, there really is a major cultural divide between the college educated and non college educated -- in how they think, believe, behave, and interact socially - not only reflected in the outcome of this election, but I've had firsthand experience while traveling extensively amongst the states for business and pleasure. I should write a book about it.

More education tends to create more liberal people. Not only can you afford to think in a more social way because you're better off, education by its very nature expands your horizons and lets you see from others' perspectives.

The solution to our political ills, therefore, is to educate everyone.

53. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 21:14 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 19:46:
Some of you are massively overreaching here. This isn't about college vs. blue collar because even the white collar is finally getting F'd in the A and they've had it too. The GOP has to make good on a lot of this stuff because it's their last kick at the can. This wasn't a pro-Trump vote, it was anti-establishment. Kill the TPP and NAFTA, bring back fair trade and end free trade. Even the dumbest republican understands that, more than anything else, is key to their survival. If it doesn't happen the GOP will be fucking crucified. If the Dems were so smart they should have went with Bernie.

As Upton Sinclair said, it's difficult to get congress to understand something when their salary depends on them not understanding it. Free trade is good for corporations at the expense of workers, and corporate money gets congress elected. It remains to be seen if they'll defy the corporations to oppose NAFTA and the TTP.

17265 Comments. 864 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo