Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 20483 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 18:41 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 12:20:
Interesting little article by an ex-truck driver on all the problems with Tesla's new truck.

This ex-trucker has some questions about the Tesla Semi

Nice article. Good points.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 20, 2017, 18:34 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:44:
So a week has passed with my 32gb optane memory card adding cache & boosting speeds to my hard drive, the results are stunning.
Any bottle neck that lay between the ram & gpu is now cleaned up, the most notable is Arma3 all textures are there all the time.
No texture load popping in or out, no catching on scope zooming over a long distance, no slow down with large battles of AI enemy, all at much higher display settings. I had heard Arma3 is Cpu intensive but I was also putting it down to the the 1070 & the fact it's an ambitious Arma game.
All my games now live on the hard drive, I had slow loading origin games on my ssd boot drive but they suffered as it filled up. They load & play as fast & faster on the hard drive now, keep in mind you may get a slower first load if you have not played the game in a while as it is only 32 gb. This is not a problem purely because of the in game performance not really talked about in reviews which fixate on frames per second & not pure through put, run the game 24 hours later & boom a faster load than my m.2 ssd.
I game at 1920x1080 on a 27 inch lg 75 hz monitor & set vsync in game.

Good to know you're getting real world results. Thanks. I'll be building a new system in the next year or so, and need to keep this in mind.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 20, 2017, 18:26 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:17:
The Franken news is saddening. But what's honestly worse is that the left seems incapable of forgiving. Franken has done truly great work in his 12 years in the Senate. People fuck up. They should be shamed for a bit, but if they're sincere and it's obvious that they're not a bad person, I don't think forgiveness should be that hard to come by.

I mean the first incident (only one that seems legit at the moment), he was on a USO tour taking a dumb picture trying to get a rise out of some soldiers. We all know people in uniform (men and women) can have a crass sense of humour, they're living in extreme conditions, it's not the most PC place in the world. He was trying to play to his audience and misjudged. The picture shows him mockingly groping, not actually groping. People who actually grope don't usually pose for pictures during the act...

It's true that on the scale of things, what he did doesn't approach DJT, CT, or Roy Moore. If Diaper Dave Vitter didn't resign over his scandal, it's hard to make the case for Franken to resign.

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
37. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:17 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 18:00:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:55:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:39:

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

That's actually a genius fix.

So I can play with or against a party of 6 people who have just banked a ton of BP for the last week, to just hog all the heroes in a server for a couple hours? No, it would be terrible.

Like I said, the system in ET:QW was a good compromise, your "BP" accrues throughout a 2-3 map campaign, and is lost when exiting the server or the campaign ends.

You could max them out to prevent people from hogging. Also, anyone that got to spend their points during a match on a hero could have them zeroed out in the next match. The point is to give less skilled players a chance to hit the good stuff every now and then.

36. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:03 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:28:

And they're bought in. Again, this is their bonus. If this thing becomes a cash cow, they make large bonuses. They're heavily incentivized to find ways to incorporate this and to like it. Largely, when someone's salary depends on liking something, they find ways to find it reasonable.

I thought bonuses were tied to high metacritic ratings...

34. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:39:

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

That's actually a genius fix.

30. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:25 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:17:
No amount of adjustments to their lootcrate system can make up for the fact that they made a shallow game that won't hold peoples attention for more than a week or two.

lots of reddit posts about being bored of the game already. By the time they get around to discounting the game in a few weeks multiplayer will be a "waiting for player to join" simulator.

"How can they be bored? They've still got another 50 hours of unlocks left!"

29. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:24 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:10:
Also, "I won't let my friends buy it either" is quite preachey. I generally don't tell my friends what they're allowed to buy. Adults can generally make up their own minds on the big issues of the day, you know, like what video games to buy.

"Friends don't let friends buy drunk."

23. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:45 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 13:26:
I feel very sorry for the developers who worked on the game. Can you imagine the countless hours they put in only to deal with this? The decision to implement aggressive micro-transaction likely wasn't theirs. They just did as they were told.

Right, this is it exactly. I'm sure the devs did not want to build this shit out. They know it makes the game worse.

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
34. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Nov 20, 2017, 13:02 jdreyer

Orogogus wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 07:43:
heroin wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 06:08:
Alpha Centauri was better than any Civ game - to this day - and he didn't even work on it.

That's a pretty bold claim. Is there a source for him not having worked on Alpha Centauri? He's listed as a designer (not lead designer) and coder.

And he's pretty much the opposite of a one-trick pony, but most of his his work was DOS games that came out when you were in grade school. He got started on flight sims, including the fairly important F-15/F-19/F-117A games, wrote one of the early landmark submarine games, and branched out into Pirates!, Sword of the Samurai, Railroad Tycoon and Covert Action before he wrote Civilization, and all these got great reviews. He's been much less prolific under Windows and the age of giant development teams, but it's strange that you call him a one-trick pony but then go for Garriott. I love Ultima, but "living medieval-fantasy world" is basically his one thing.

Don't forget about Gettysburg!

Also, it's important to remember all the devs that mentored under him and at the studio he created like Soren Johnson and Jon Shafer.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2017, 12:39 jdreyer

KS wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 10:31:
It would be nice if the regulation change link was to a site that discussed, or even just explained the issue, instead of shilling for you to call your congressman about it.

There's nothing to discuss. Getting rid of it is bad for you, and bad for me. It's bad for the economy and stability of our nation. The recession of 2007 will rise again. It's that simple.

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2017, 12:39 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 09:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 09:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 22:46:
Oh, and if you still don't understand why they would do that... think about it... 62 million people voted for Donald J. Trump, why the hell would they do THAT?
Not true, 30 million of those voted against President Hillary Rodham Clinton.
While I understand the concept, I don't think it is accurate to apply it in this case. Even if you think/thought HRC was a terrible candidate, which actually I would agree she was, for anyone caring to actually pay attention the choice of Trump was clearly worse. Consequently, I refuse to give relief of guilt to any Trump voter due to a claim of, "I was voting against Clinton." The only reason to vote for Trump is because you were not paying attention, or you are an idiot, or both.

We are talking about Trump voters here.

There's a few things to keep in mind.

1. The right wing media and Republicans have been railing against the Clintons for 25 years. Some of that is bound to stick.

2. Trump ran a brilliant campaign, despite his flaws. He told people what they wanted to hear, and they took him at his word.

3. Comey's letter.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 12:14 jdreyer

Has anyone read William Barton's Acts of Conscience? It's one of the better science fiction books I've read, both from both a world building and character perspective.

It's not for everyone given the flaws of the main character, but I found it fascinating and deep.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 12:09 jdreyer

I'm not sure why I chose today to explain that today, I guess it's just one of those helter skelter thoughts that popped into my mind.

We've been discussing around this very topic in the comments for the past few days. That's probably the trigger.

I think "RIP" is fine to announce a death, regardless of the quality of that person's accomplishments in life.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 12:07 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 11:57:
Holy crap... I actually dont want to know what else they have been hiding from us about Fukushima. I feel like a Soviet citizen, when I read revelations like this. And its not the first one, nor the only topic where we get lied to.

It's a cultural thing. In Japan, doctors never tell the patients "You're terminal. You have 2 months to live." Instead, they tell the patients everything is fine, then they go to the patient's family and tell them the truth.

I'm sure the same mechanism is playing out vis a vis Fukushima. Keep people in the dark so they don't panic. What a charlie foxtrot.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 03:11 jdreyer

yonder wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 23:02:
I'm a lil perplexed that the same-day (as in within 24 hours) deaths of Charles Manson, Jacob Rothschild, and Salvatore Riina wasn't even mentioned. Obviously Blues is part of the Illuminati and doesn't want to acknowledge the proof of this conspiracy!!!

Really? Does Charles fucking Manson deserve a shoutout?

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2017, 03:07 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 22:46:
Oh, and if you still don't understand why they would do that... think about it... 62 million people voted for Donald J. Trump, why the hell would they do THAT?

Because Hillary had an email server, duh.

Also, she ran a pedo ring out of a pizza parlor basement, double duh.

Because, you know, 65 year old women are all about the pedo. It is known.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews Nov 20, 2017, 03:04 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 02:14:
Well guess why I am hyped for this thing, better not fuck it up CDP

Or you'll hop in your BMW and drive across the border to their offices to give them a piece of your mind!

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 19, 2017, 17:36 jdreyer

Rhett wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 16:24:
Yeah... It's so despicably sad that gaming has been turned into a money-milking machine, and true love and dedication rarely gets poured into games anymore.

I would caveat that with "AAA gaming." And probably the makers of the game are forced by publishers and accounts to add money-generating systems that interfere with the fun factor.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
6. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 19, 2017, 17:34 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 16:54:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 16:44:
Headlines tomorrow will read "EA to buy CD Project Red".
To be followed 2 years from now with an announcement that EA is shutting down CDPR.

Or cancels CP2077 because

Our industry is evolving faster and more dramatically than ever before. The games we want to play and spend time with, the experiences we want to have in those games, and the way we play…all those things are continually changing. So is the way games are made. In this fast-moving space, we are always focused on creating experiences that our players want to play…and today, that means we’re making a significant change with one of our upcoming titles.

20483 Comments. 1025 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo