Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On October 9, 2004
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 29925 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black

22. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2020, 23:14  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 21:59:
If this shit claims Tom Hanks I'm gonna go all apeshit on the virus.
No shit, that guy is still one of our greatest working actors. Greyhound looks a little on the Michael Bay side of things, but I'm totally looking forward to it because of Hanks.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2020, 23:10  jdreyer 

SirKnight wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 21:33:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 20:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 18:28:
From NPR 2 days ago....

"So far this season we've had between 30 and 40 million illnesses in the United States," Martin says. Of that number, about half were ill enough to seek medical care, and between 300,000 to 500,000 people required hospitalization.

The CDC estimates that there have been 20,000 to 40,000 deaths in the United States so far this year.

Just for comparison, that's a thousand times more deaths in the United States than have been blamed on the coronavirus so far."

At this no one bats an eye but everyone's freaking out over C19? Yeah. Sure. Ok. Rolleyes

I have a hard time believing that you are serious here, but on the off-chance that you are...

The issue is not with "how many people are currently infected". Of course that's considerably lower than seasonal colds/flus that have been around for years. The issues are how fast this spreads, and how high the mortality rate is. Normal flus have a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Covid-19 has a mortality rate somewhere in the 3-5% rate. Should we get the 30 to 40 million people infected that you quote from the seasonal illness, we would expect between 900,000 to 1,400,000 million deaths. That is a *lot* more serious than the 20-40K deaths from flus.

Heh, you're really comparing the two percentages? That makes no sense. The data set for flu vs C19 is wildly different. You'd have to normalize the data, then take percentages before you can compare. Do this and you'll find a very different outcome. Of course the percentage of C19 is going to be higher when the total number of infects is low. This is basic math.

The truth is, C19 is not that strong. It does not spread any worse than the flu or anything else. It also mainly attacks elderly with conditions. It has been shown that the more healthy and young you are, the better off you can fight it. The flu kills both old and young and the symptoms you have with it are severe. Most people with C19 have none or very little symptoms, other than the already sick. This thing only appears to be some massively bad thing that "spreads fast" because the dumpster fire liberal media are making it look worse than it is. They are constantly reporting, going on and on about even a single new infection, and trying to use it for political gain. We would have far less problems, if it were not for the horrible mainstream media. You can make anything look very good or very bad if it's presented just right.
I'm sure it was the liberal media that made Trump shut down all travel between the US and Europe.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

News Comments > E3 2020 Officially Cancelled

34. Re: E3 2020 Officially Cancelled Mar 11, 2020, 21:01  jdreyer 

wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 19:55:
crazedgironemo wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 19:22:
Yeah, I mean, the flu kills 0.1% whereas the coronavirus kills up to 3.4%. Definitely not as bad as the common flu. We should have just let the coronavirus spread unchecked and it would mean only 11 million of USA's 327 million population will die of it.

Being a gear head... if it's the tree-huggin vegan prius-driving smug-tards... I'm ok with that number! Heck! They can take their Holistic medicine!

j/k

I think being prepared taking some precautions is one thing... over-hyping and claiming the sky is falling, is another.
Coronavirus kills the old, the poor, and the indigent. In other words, it's a government plot to make Medicare and Medicaid solvent.

8. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2020, 20:54  jdreyer 

Bhruic wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 20:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 18:28:
From NPR 2 days ago....

"So far this season we've had between 30 and 40 million illnesses in the United States," Martin says. Of that number, about half were ill enough to seek medical care, and between 300,000 to 500,000 people required hospitalization.

The CDC estimates that there have been 20,000 to 40,000 deaths in the United States so far this year.

Just for comparison, that's a thousand times more deaths in the United States than have been blamed on the coronavirus so far."

At this no one bats an eye but everyone's freaking out over C19? Yeah. Sure. Ok. Rolleyes

I have a hard time believing that you are serious here, but on the off-chance that you are...

The issue is not with "how many people are currently infected". Of course that's considerably lower than seasonal colds/flus that have been around for years. The issues are how fast this spreads, and how high the mortality rate is. Normal flus have a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Covid-19 has a mortality rate somewhere in the 3-5% rate. Should we get the 30 to 40 million people infected that you quote from the seasonal illness, we would expect between 900,000 to 1,400,000 million deaths. That is a *lot* more serious than the 20-40K deaths from flus.
Yeah, but now with Mike Pence in charge, we're gonna kick coronavirus into Mexico, and we'll make them pay for it!

News Comments > Two Point Hospital Goes Off the Grid Next Week

1. Re: Two Point Hospital Goes Off the Grid Next Week Mar 11, 2020, 20:49  jdreyer 

No silly coronavirus like is a missed opportunity.  

15. Re: E3 2020 Officially Cancelled Mar 11, 2020, 15:56  jdreyer 

theglaze wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 14:01:
WHO just announced COVID-19 as a pandemic; cases in US quadrupled overnight.

Y'all screwed up down there, refusing the German test kits to grease palms by making your own, faulty kits. Expect an Iran-like explosion in community spread, with a lower death rate.

The media coverage will be bonkers, so just remember, Put on a happy face! Chances are that it's already in your town/city...

Ignoring
Hard to disagree with your assessment.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 11, 2020, 13:52  jdreyer 

New carbon membrane generates a hundred times more power.

Good for desalinization. We need fresh water, stat!

News Comments > Out of the Blue

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2020, 13:49  jdreyer 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 06:33:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 21:14:
A couple at my work started WFH last week. The have eldar parents and aunts living with them. Are you able to do the same?

I have the technical ability, certainly. Now wether I have the administrative ability or not will be the question. My boss is cool with it but his boss is a septuagenarian with the factory floor belief in productivity. It nearly entirely escapes them that someone can be productive while not sitting in an office.

Can you present articles like this?

Working From Home Increases Productivity

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

2. Re: ...Crappy US Broadband. Mar 11, 2020, 13:46  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 13:12:
At first I misread the article, I thought it was saying 29% of NYC didn't have access to broadband, but actually they were simply saying 29% don't have it. Not having access to it and not having it are two entirely different things. The first would have been surprising, the second isn't surprising at all.

You would think that if you can afford to live in NYC, you can afford broadband.

News Comments > Biped This Month

1. Re: Biped This Month Mar 11, 2020, 13:42  jdreyer 

Couch coop, SWEET. Me an' the kids, or me an' the wife!  

News Comments > Ori and the Will of the Wisps Released

4. Re: Ori and the Will of the Wisps Released Mar 11, 2020, 13:40  jdreyer 

I still have the first one sitting in my queue, unplayed...  

7. Re: E3 2020 Officially Cancelled Mar 11, 2020, 13:39  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 12:28:
Cram wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 12:20:
Rhialto wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 12:14:
Could have waited one more month, no?

Probably not? June isn't very far away. These things require a ton of money, organizing and planning. That goes for everyone, from finding hotels and flights (which I suppose won't be to hard right now) to etc etc etc everything related to a massive expo.

I'm blown away Linus is going ahead, for now, with LTX 2020, ballsy. These game, technology and entertainment expos - rife with some that could not give a second thought to personal hygiene.

Just look at all the people still going on cruises because they aren't being given refunds. Same is happening for people that bought non-refundable travel to canceled events.
What could go wrong? Oh, wait. We've had multiple infected cruise ships, so we know.

A bigger worry is all the temp/wage workers with no sick time and no insurance that will go to work sick and spread the disease because they can't afford time off and can't afford treatment. That's what's really going to fuck us.

6. Re: E3 2020 Officially Cancelled Mar 11, 2020, 13:37  jdreyer 

Cram wrote on Mar 11, 2020, 12:20:

Probably not? June isn't very far away. These things require a ton of money, organizing and planning. That goes for everyone, from finding hotels and flights (which I suppose won't be to hard right now) to etc etc etc everything related to a massive expo.

I'm blown away Linus is going ahead, for now, with LTX 2020, ballsy. These game, technology and entertainment expos - rife with some that could not give a second thought to personal hygiene.

In his defense, Linux is pretty immune to viruses, what with hackers focusing mostly on Windows exploits.

5. Re: E3 2020 Officially Cancelled Mar 11, 2020, 13:36  jdreyer 

A month ago my wife decided to cancel her June trip to Japan due to COVID19. Pandemics often have multiple waves. For example, the 1918 flu had 3 waves, the first of which was over a year. This might not be over quickly.

News Comments > On Sale

1. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2020, 02:32  jdreyer 

Uhh...  

News Comments > Command & Conquer Remastered in June

18. Re: Command & Conquer Remastered in June Mar 11, 2020, 02:23  jdreyer 

Xero wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 23:18:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 21:23:
Xero wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 19:49:
C&C Generals was meh. Mostly graphics but lacked proper balancing if you ask me. That one rocket buggy unit for the terrorist had insane range. You could literally drive away from an entire army while it fired backwards at them and they couldn't catch it or reach. I remember winning an online match with 3 of those buggies against an entire army chasing and wiped them all out because he never pulled them off me, lol.
Orcas?

It was literally called Rocket Buggys,https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Rocket_buggy_(Generals_1)

No, I meant Orcas as the counter.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount Mar 11, 2020, 02:22  jdreyer 

Xero wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 23:21:
Tried hard to get into Borderlands 2 but just couldn't. Something about the weapons felt like they lacked umph to them. They all kind of felt weak or similar. I dunno. That or I just didn't get far enough into it to get to the goods. The Cel Shaded art style is also an acquired taste. Something I could never get into following that game called XXX or something.

Yeah, better, cooler, and crazier guns come later in the game.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Character Customization

5. Re: DOOM Eternal Character Customization Mar 10, 2020, 22:43  jdreyer 

I'm glad they stuck to historical realism: you can't play as a woman. Everyone knows that there were no women in World War Doom.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount

5. Re: Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount Mar 10, 2020, 22:30  jdreyer 

GOTY version for $5, or die.

/S

News Comments > Command & Conquer Remastered in June

16. Re: Command & Conquer Remastered in June Mar 10, 2020, 21:23  jdreyer 

Xero wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 19:49:
C&C Generals was meh. Mostly graphics but lacked proper balancing if you ask me. That one rocket buggy unit for the terrorist had insane range. You could literally drive away from an entire army while it fired backwards at them and they couldn't catch it or reach. I remember winning an online match with 3 of those buggies against an entire army chasing and wiped them all out because he never pulled them off me, lol.
Orcas?

29925 Comments. 1497 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >