Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17239 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 14:58 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:38:
You always reward those that get you elected. Nothing to see here.

Get your news from reliable sources and learn how to spot bull shit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/how-to-spot-fake-news/

students cannot tell fake news stories, npr

Came here to say this. Thanks.

TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 27, 2016, 14:56 jdreyer

Black Friday set a record as the first $1 billion mobile shopping day in U.S. history.

Hooray for capitalism?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live
7. Re: No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live Nov 27, 2016, 14:44 jdreyer

Heh, is it just me, or does that final base look like a gas station?  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live
6. Re: No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live Nov 27, 2016, 14:41 jdreyer

It sounds like a good start. Maybe someone can have a play and let us know how the improvements stack up.

KXMode, you game?

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2016, 14:19 jdreyer

Skyrim Legendary is on Humble for $10. If I get it, can I upgrade to Enhanced Edition still? I have Skyrim, but none of the DLC.

Or is it better to just upgrade Skyrim with mods? I'm thinking of doing another playthrough soon.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2016, 12:02 jdreyer

The man had gravitas. I'll never forget that voice. 71 isn't even old. Fuck you 2016. With a rusty nail.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 21:54 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 12:53:
I am just gonna leave this link here

What if jobs are the problem, not the solution

It made me realize that computerization of large portions of jobs may not be as far fetched and far away as I thought, and imo it should be a mandatory read, and should be seen as a new experience, to look at work from an different angle, and to look at the consequence of doing so, so leave your preconceptions about how "work builds character" at the door before entering.

And remember, Asian school children dominate math, but you know what they don't dominate? Cultural development. Those making culture are not the ones acing math and science and culture is what defines a nation, not it's jobs. Shouldn't this mean that we should strife to educate children so they further our culture and society, and not our economy?

Isn't Trump winning the perfect proof? Everyone puts so much value on jobs, everyone is sad and angry they lost their jobs, instead of creating something new out of that, something that does not benefit the economy, but the society of your nation, your neighborhood even, even if it's based on "entitlements" and even if you have to sustain yourself on a slightly lower luxury level... mhh, food for thought.

I'll agree that it's time to start thinking of a new paradigm. Most people enjoy "work" in order to have some purpose and stimulation in life. Just sitting around doing nothing sucks and saps your morale, leading to drug abuse, mental illness, and other issues. And here's a nasty quote from the article:

Almost half of employed adults in this country are eligible for food stamps (most of those who are eligible don’t apply). The market in labour has broken down, along with most others.

Income inequality is just STUPID. How about instituting a living minimum wage, like $20 per hour? That would cut down on the user of government services is a massive way. Walmart and places like it actually train their workers to use government services to supplement their incomes. It's corporate welfare at its most pernicious.

The sad thing (because it is politically untenable) is that it would be a HUGE boon to the economy. Poor and lower middle income people spend their money, nearly all of it. This stimulates the economy by cycling the money through it. Rich people just sock it away, often overseas. Or they invest it, but trickle down economics has been pretty much proven to fail at this point.

News Comments > Black Friday Safety Dance
35. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 26, 2016, 21:34 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 13:54:
Creston wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 11:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 20:57:
The state of Pennsylvania admitted their proposed voter id law would disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of legitimate voters. Not surprisingly, a majority of those voters were minority voters.

This isn't meant to be snarky, so don't take it that way. The voted ID law would require you to provide a government-supplied (or sanctioned) ID before you could vote, right? So how could that disenfranchise so many legitimate voters?

Well the more road blocks you put in place the less likely people are to do something. Getting a valid ID is nothing more than a minor annoyance to most people, and probably something they already have. But these things tend to hit vulnerable populations hardest, elderly, poor, handicapped, etc., who may not have a valid and/or up-to-date ID and lack the resources to easily obtain one. So while going down to the DMV may be a minor annoyance to you it could be a major inconvenience to someone who doesn't have transportation, is disabled or whatever else.

Or may be working 3 jobs to put food on the table.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 21:33 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 21:23:
And now Ron Glass aka Shepard Book from firefly is dead. Damn 2016...

Aww, damn. RIP Book.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 21:32 jdreyer

Mordhaus wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 17:51:
Rogue One 'official' final trailer...releases new one a day later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNvdoRnNv8

They must be really worried about people showing up. This is the fifth trailer or something. After TFA, I'm not very interested. I'm going to see Dr. Strange and Arrival before R1.

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
22. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 21:19 jdreyer

Base building??? THAT'S what you think this game needs?

How about:

- More things to do on planet and more puzzle variety
- Ability to meet up and interact with your friends
- An actual end game.
- More weapon variety for ships and people.
- Better ship flight and fighting mechanics, including more freedom on-planet to zip into canyons and crash if you're not careful.
- How about procedural bases so they don't all look the same?
- How about procedural sentinels so fighting them is more interesting?
- Flora and fauna with more interesting behavior (herding, hunting, stampeding, etc.)
- More dangerous flora and fauna, so you need to think about which ones to harvest.
- Towns? (or even cities?)

Notice I'm not asking for any new features, just improving the ones that are there first. If I did want new features, I guess base building is a cool one. Some I'd like to see:

- A ship designer to build a ship from scratch.
- A creature designer once I reach a certain command of a planet so I can shape it into my mold

25. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 26, 2016, 11:27 jdreyer

Saboth wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 10:44:
Retired wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 20:03:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 14:15:
I seriously doubt a recount will change the results much, but we've been hearing for years about how vulnerable electronic ballots are. There should be a wide scale audit to at least give some evidence one way or other about the actual incidence of tampering with electronic ballots. They've done similar things in regards to claims millions of dead are voting and they tend to find you can count the number of actual cases on your fingers. What it does reveal is the voter registration system needs to be updated so deceased individuals are accurately identified and removed from the voter rolls. And while voter fraud by this method is very rare, what is very common are groups using often highly inaccurate data to purge large swaths of legitimately registered voters from the rolls.

Voter fraud exists. Two unknown people can go on election day and create this scenario over and over:

Person A: I want to vote
Voting Volunteer: Do you have an ID or anything with your address on it?
Person A: No.
Voting Volunteer: Who is going to vouch for you?
Person A: *Points to person B
Voting Volunteer: *Addressing Person B - Do you have an ID or anything with your address on it?
Person B: No.
Voting Volunteer: Who is going to vouch for you?
Person B: *Points to Person A
Voting Volunteer: Ok, looks good, here are your ballots.

Lol sure. I assume that's sarcasm. The way it works is: they ask you your name and ID and address. You give it to them. They find you in log book and mark you down as having voted. In the past, they didn't ask for ID, but they still marked you down under your address. So if someone else shows up trying to vote, they'd find out instantly that something is going on. You don't just show up and vote 20 times. There are virtually no proof of in-person voter fraud. There's been about 11 cases in 10 years out of hundreds of millions of votes.

Another study found 31 cases out of one billion (with a 'b') votes cast.

Voter suppression, on the other hand, is a much larger more widespread issue, discouraging millions from voting:

The net effect of all this? "Democratic turnout drops by an estimated 7.7 percentage points in general elections when strict photo identification laws are in place." Democrats weren't the only ones affected, either. The data showed that Republican turnout was depressed by 4.6 percentage points too.

But the laws disproportionately affected Democratic voters. "The turnout advantage of those on the right is three to five times larger in strict photo identification states, all else equal. These results suggest that by instituting strict photo ID laws, states could minimize the influence of voters on the left and could dramatically alter the political leaning of the electorate. "

Given how rare voter fraud is, and how discouraging voting reduces confidence in the system and our country, shouldn't we be doing everything possible to encourage it?

24. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 26, 2016, 11:10 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 09:17:
That just basically adds that the person doing the vouching must have one of the accepted forms of ID. So if what you saw transpired as described the election official was either woefully uninformed of the law, or complicit in the act. You can file a complaint with the MN State Secretary; I'm not so optimistic to think much will come of it, but it is at least a course of action you can do, and who knows maybe someone will investigate.

If only he knew an officer of the law...

And it sounds it wasn't fraud, just two people voting once. Did they go vote again in another place? Or was it just the potential for that to happen that annoyed Bats?

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2016, 11:03 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 17:17:
Luke wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 15:53:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 15:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 12:25:
$20 Fallout 4 https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/download-Fallout-4/5011017

That level of sale for FO4 seems to be pretty widespread, $19.79 on Steam right now too...I may have to finally buy it.

You may ?? no one are forcing you , back bones are not what they have been Clown
And after reading your posts neither are brains.

Dude, you've been on a tear with the snark of late. Been LOLing your comments. I guess you leveled up recently and allocated a few points to it!

17. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 25, 2016, 22:07 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 21:23:
On a more common sense approach, the GOP is always complaining about voter fraud and the need for voter id laws. Yet somehow, they have a majority in the House, in the Senate, something like 30 of the state legislatures and just won the Presidency. What percentage of the representation do you think would be GOP if it wasn't for all this cheating? 90%? It doesn't even pass the smell test.
Interestingly Dems got more votes for House, more for Senate, and more for POTUS. Yet they control none.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
14. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 25, 2016, 14:19 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 08:31:
Bumpy wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 05:49:
Like 3D tv, VR will never become mass popular and it eventually die except for the hardened niche fans. VR is just too cumbersome and expensive.

I think Vive already knows this which is why they are trying to get all the VR manufactures to pull together for a better chance.

Jesus, people love to beat the "like 3Dtv" horse. And these are always, ALWAYS people who haven't tried VR. Currently, it's a bit of an effort to set up. There aren't a lot of "full" games for it yet. Those are coming. Easier setups are coming.

Instead of comparing VR to something that failed, look at it as a niche-ISH product, like motorcycles. They're ALSO expensive, fiddly, and are inferior to cars in almost every way. But they sell. A LOT. Because they're absurdly fun.

VR gaming cannot replace traditional video gaming, because the interface is so different. And I don't mean just the VR controllers, I mean the way the screen is controlled; the difference between looking out a window at a mountain and being ON it. But not one single video game you've played will stick in your mind like The Lab's Robot Repair, or any of the scenarios in TheBlu. You can look up videos of these online and SAY you've seen it, and it was nothing special. Again, window and mountain.

The biggest problem is price. $800 for entry is steep.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards
50. Re: Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards Nov 25, 2016, 14:16 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 12:47:
Alamar wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 11:27:
If you can get a refund on Dragon's Dogma, it's this month's Humble Monthly 'top' pick... So for $12 USD, you'll get that, immediately, and another 5-7 games in a week.

I never buy from the Humble Bundle. It makes me feel bad that the devs almost make no money. If I want to give money to charity, I'll give it to charity, if I want to buy good games, I'd rather encourage the devs who make them and need to pay rent.

You can move the slider to give the devs ALL the money if you get it on Humble can't you? Or is that just for the bundles?

Also, don't forget about Steam's 30% cut!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2016, 04:03 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 02:31:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 20:25:
Trump to scrap Nasa climate research in crackdown on ‘politicized science.’

Well humanity, it's been good to know ya.

Nasa’s Earth science division is set to be stripped of funding in favor of exploration of deep space, with the president-elect having set a goal during the campaign to explore the entire solar system by the end of the century.

In favor of exploring the solar system.

Happy Trumpsgiving!

I thought Trump's slogan was "Make America great again!" not "Make the solar system great again!"

News Comments > Thanksgiving Metaverse
15. Re: Thanksgiving Metaverse Nov 25, 2016, 03:54 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 20:55:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 15:48:
Why am I not surprised that Trump voters got taken in by fake stories.

Yeah, not really a surprise.

The Trumpets like to get mad that "them snobby liberal elites are lookin down their noses at us!"

But, despite Trump's status as existing outside the Republican mainstream, most of his supporters are still right wing conservatives.

Conservatives, at least American conservatives, have an entirely reactionary platform. The core of American conservatism is the desire to return to an idealized imaginary America that never actually existed. At the core, their ideas are at odds with reality. Hence the saying "reality has a well known liberal bias."

Conservatism isn't inherently flawed though. Sometimes progress can leave people behind, or result in societal imbalances, and these things must be considered. We can't just have a free-for-all.

But American reactionary conservatism is just invalid as a political viewpoint. It's inextricably linked to subjective religious views, and a nostalgic view of a past that never existed, and as much as conservatives hate to admit it, there's a huge amount of racism involved as well.

So why does this effect their susceptability to frauds? The mainstream media is always going to be inherently liberal or progressive. That's just the way Time's Arrow points. So these folks reject mainstream media, which leads them into the Land of Zero Credibility. In this magical land, your rejection of the liberal mainstream is more important to your credibility than your actual accuracy.

Sources that claim to "tell you what no one else wants to tell you because their overlords won't let them!" suddenly become gospel truth, and fact checking is just obfuscation perpetrated by the mainstream media.

America has a lot of non-reactionary conservatives, but the fact is most of those people are Democrats and a smaller number being Libertarians. America is a fairly conservative country and behind many Europe by decades on a lot of social and economic issues. Even the Democrats aren't actually a liberal party.

Nice summation.

I agree that we need different viewpoints, but it strikes me that the conservative viewpoint is either outdated or is wishful thinking.

- Would it be great if global warming wasn't real? Sure, but oil is running out and I get tired of getting our energy from Saudi fricking Arabia.

- Would it be great if people waited until they were married to have sex? Maybe, but that's not reality so let's get some birth control and safe sex practices out there so we don't have teen pregs and prevent diseases spreading.

- Would it be nice if tax cuts cause the economy to be so strong that the new revenue produced even more than what was cut? Sure, but that's not what happens. Instead, infrastructure crumbles and income inequality increases.

I could go on and on.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2016, 20:28 jdreyer

Dogs Remember More Than You Think.

I think most of us that have lived with dogs knew this already, but it's good to see it examined and scientifically verified.

17239 Comments. 862 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo