Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 20474 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer
15. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 18:21 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 17:37:
One thing you have to give DICE, is that they've used the in-game rendering engine for all of their "machinima"-style promo videos going back over 10 years. ie. They don't blow 10 million on a pre-rendered CG sequence that looks NOTHING like the actual game.

Anyone remember the BF2 official trailer?

Yup, I'll tip my hat. Their trailers are amazing.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 16:43 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:26:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:23:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:56:
(snip, although completely justified rant)

None of this is any consequence though because it's Star Wars!

PRE-ORDERED!!!!!

If only there were a configurable bot mode...

uhh, there is? I don't know how configurable it is, as most of it was locked out in the beta, but there's definitely several different bot difficulty modes.

The original had a few maps with bots, but the vast majority were multiplayer only. I haven't heard that the new one is any different, have you?

10. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 16:42 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:25:
We haven't even touched on the small maps and mind numbing repetition, there's nothing to give the battles flow to other parts of a map. In Battlefied games there's often variation in where the battle ends up concentrated and it can change just enough to break up the monotony.

It's not battlefield. That's a good thing. People were pissed enough from the first Battlefront (remake) game where they just said it was "reskinned battlefield" (it wasn't, but people were still pissed at this invisible slight).

Huh, I heard the opposite about Battlefront when it came out a couple of years ago: "Why didn't they make it more like Battlefield?"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 15:26 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 12:06:
The numbers continue to highlight a huge swath of people who don't watch sports, and are tired of paying for it. ESPN's been losing 2-4% of its subscriber base annually, with one recent survey suggesting that 56% of consumers would drop ESPN in a heartbeat if it meant saving the estimated $8 more the channel costs cable subscribers each and every month.

Exactly, why should people pay to subsidize shit they don't watch? This is just another clear illustration of out of whack major league sports and its associated costs are with most of society. Everything from salaries to public funding and subsidies of stadiums and sports channels to the absurd cost of sports merchandise which is virtually all licensing fees. Time for all those multi-billionaires and millionaires to take a reality check and a huge pay cut if they want to survive.

Because old white guys own and run everything, that's why.

News Comments > Plutocracy Announced
2. Re: Plutocracy Announced Oct 31, 2017, 15:25 jdreyer

Zoopster wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 12:09:
I thought we were already living in a plutocracy...

It's not by accident that the character in the game resembles Don Jr.

6. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 15:23 jdreyer

(snip, although completely justified rant)

None of this is any consequence though because it's Star Wars!

PRE-ORDERED!!!!!

If only there were a configurable bot mode...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 15:21 jdreyer

Scientists can't explain a 'worrying' rise in methane levels.

Gee, I wonder what it could be.

1) Melting permafrost?

2) Leaks from fracking?

3) Ever increasing livestock production, especially beef?

4) The ever-increasing number of methane-producing landfills?

5) All of the above?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:57 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:39:
Steam Link arrived from the crazy $1.00 deal - didn't think that would go through, but it is here and eager to try it out. I will currently try it over wireless, as the contractor hasn't been here yet to wire the whole house up.

I'd be curious to know how it works. I keep the gaming machine in the living room, and have it connected to the big TV via HDMI cable. Be nice to have options.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:55 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 12:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:28:
The drifting women story keeps getting weirder. They also had a sat phone but dropped it in the water. Yeah right.

Is this a social media publicity stunt, a book writing deal or a movie rights funding scam.
#rescue #feminism
Not beating a dead horse because this horse ain't dead, yet.
In this video Jennifer Appel says "Had they not been able to locate us we would have been dead in 24 hours."
Whereas the Follow-Up link blue posted has this: We asked why during this course of time did they not activate the EPIRB. She had stated they never felt like they were truly in distress, like in a 24-hour period they were going to die, said Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer 2nd Class Tara Molle, who was on the call to the AP with Carr.
Ignoring the "storm they encountered", obvious health of the women and 2 dogs including lack of weight loss, this story doe not jibe in my book. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, it's starting to take on that Balloon Boy smell.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:54 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 13:08:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 12:09:
Blue, are you going to get moved before the end of the year? Seems like the process has been taking a bit longer than you'd have thought...

At this point I'd say we won't, we seem to be perpetually a couple of weeks away from putting the house on the market. I've grown to realize that MrsBlue is actually being an obstruction at this point because of her misgivings about this all. So I've decided that the only way to keep this from making me crazy is to do my best to facilitate, but to go with the flow and not let it make me crazy. It'll all work out in the end.

Heh, so once you've got the house all spruced up, she's reticent to sell it?

There's also the whole "we've got 20 years in this community" aspect.

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out
1. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out Oct 31, 2017, 14:47 jdreyer

I watched that trailer and still have no idea what the game play is for this game. Just drive through the wilderness? Haul logs from one place to another? Are there missions? How do I acquire new vehicles?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2017, 14:41 jdreyer

Razer Phone leaks with monstrous specs including 120Hz display, 4000mAh battery, dual cameras, and more.

It will be the best Minecraft PE device ever!

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
100. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

Hmm, 100 comments NOT involving Star Citizen???  

99. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 10:58:
Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:46:
Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 22:30:
Nothing has come out yet to make me think the GOP will impeach Trump, not even close.

There's nothing to impeach him for yet.

Nope. Enormous amounts of smoke, and maybe a dozen things that are 20% good enough, but nothing has surfaced (or clearly looks to surface imminently) that is good enough.

Yesterday's news has brought up more questions than answers, but they're interesting questions that show progress is being made. Absolutely no question of impeachment based on what's known now. The emulsions clause is more likely and that's never had a snowball's proverbial.

Things could move quickly. If Trump's core support starts to waver, it could fall over fast due to being so Us-Against-Them in nature and without that base, the GOP won't protect him. That's not to say they'd impeach, but it's another obstacle gone. Maybe there'll be a glut of people rushing to make plea deals before their leverage has gone (even the suggestion that Papadopoulos might have been wearing a wire will have created quite an atmosphere in the WH today).

(In response to the several ninjas, I wrote this under the impression that we're all agreeing at least as far as my first paragraph.)

The Trumpification of the GOP is in full swing, however. Corker, Flake, and others are retiring, Bannon is fielding primary candidates from the right, etc.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 14:09 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 11:58:
Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 09:44:
I only jog in the summer, too hard on your joints to do for extended periods or at least it is for me, I'm pretty built now after a few years of lifting. I picked up cycling awhile ago and while expensive, its a fairly low impact activity that is fun.
I'm with you Verno. Even when I was running track in high school, the running seemed to be tough on my joints. I have long been convinced that for some people, not all but some, running as exercise does more damage to your body than it does good for it. A lower impact aerobic exercise seems a far better idea.

Yeah, my weight training has been for strength, not mass, so I can keep my weight down. And there are definitely people for whom running long distance is a bad idea: if you lack the proper biomechanics, if you're too heavy, if you're too tall, etc. Swimming and cycling are probably better options (though you do need to have proper mechanics for those as well to avoid injury).

I just love the flexibility running gives me. In five minutes I can change and be out the door at any time of the day or night. Can't say that about too many other kinds of exercise. And I've read that on average, runners have better joints than the general population (not that that's a very high bar. ).

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 04:13 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 01:19:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 13:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 11:29:
Disabled Vet Running 31 Marathons In 31 Days. Not sure I could do one in 31 days.
I'll do you one better, I KNOW I could not have done a single one at any point in my life...

I've got one in a couple of months. Shooting for sub four hour.

holy shit man. what kinda training is required to get into that kinda shape? i consider myself a decent athlete, built more for strength than endurance, but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

Weekdays I'm getting a couple of 7 or 8 mile runs per week on the treadmill at work: either speed workouts (jog 6 mph, run 7.5 mph) or hill workouts. In between, I might do a short recovery run (3 easy miles) or 30m on the elliptical or ski machine. Usually do a couple of weight training sessions per week. I usually take off one weekday completely and Saturday. On Sunday I do a long run: 12-18 miles.

I'm definitely not running a 6m mile, that's like a 2:40 marathon. I had an 18.5 mile (30K) race a couple weeks ago, and ran a 9:30 pace which felt pretty good, and translates to a 4:10 marathon. So if I can shave 20 seconds per mile, I might break 4 hours. We'll see. I got like seven weeks or so. I'm trying to drop a bit of weight to make it easier.

Elite marathoners run the entire marathon at like a 5:10 or 5:20 per mile pace. It's nuts. I can't even run a single mile that speed, never mind mile 26.

EDIT: Heh, just saw Orogogus' comment.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 04:02 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 23:30:
NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:38:
Glad to see Puerto Rico is killing that stupid deal with the Trump crony. Not surprising to see Trumps people trying to make a dime off the tragedy though.
You really got to read this
And the coup de grce: A highly unusual clause in the contract stating that pay rates and other terms could not be audited or reviewed by Federal Emergency Management Agency; the island's government; the comptroller general; or PREPA.

Didn't FEMA approve the contract? Why would they agree to that?

Also, that wouldn't hold up in court, IMO.

87. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 04:00 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 22:30:
Nothing has come out yet to make me think the GOP will impeach Trump, not even close.

Madison (I think) made it clear that abuse of the pardon power would be grounds for impeachment. I expect that once the indictments start coming fast and furious, that Trump will start pardoning left and right.
Thing is, Republicans don't have the scruples to impeach him if he did. Party first, country second.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2017, 03:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 17:48:
I think Keyser Sze's apology and the fact that he got outed are no reason to cancel the show. But netflix has more shows waiting in the wings.

I heard the most recent season wasn't very good (I'm still on S2). So maybe this is just the straw that broke the coal mine.

On the other hand, we won't be getting any stories about how Spacey grabbed Robin Wright's breasts or forced Kate Mara to give him a BJ.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2017, 03:52.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Oct 30, 2017, 20:44 jdreyer

Chances we get a character based on Mr. Blakeley in the next Fallout game just went to 100%.

RIP

20474 Comments. 1024 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo