Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21473 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2018, 13:14 jdreyer

Anakaris wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 12:20:
Why anyone is still banking with Wells Fargo is a mystery.

Why the 5000 WF employees who created fake accounts aren't all in jail for identity theft is a mystery. Your corporatocracy at work.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie?
15. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 13:11 jdreyer

GinRummy wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 12:45:
They could combine two franchises: Duke teams up with BJ Blazkowicz (also played by John Cena) for a dual gun blazing blast against Nazi aliens.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That's not monetizing things properly. First you do Duke and BJ standalone films, as well as the Doom Marine. Then they all team up, to create the VGCU (Video Game Cinematic Universe).

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

14. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 13:08 jdreyer

Nut wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 11:41:
Even though I believe a Duke Nukem movie would probably be terrible, John Cena is perfect casting.

He has really good comedic timing to go along with the physicality.

The "right level" of over the top for Duke is so subjective, though. This movie could be bad, bad, bad unless they get everything calibrated and consistent and just so.

Maybe get Guillermo del Toro to direct.

Or Tim Miller, who directed Deadpool.

13. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 13:06 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 11:08:
Who cares about Duke Nukem anymore? A Duke Nukem movie sounds like an instant flop and a big waste of money.

It's a question worth asking. Duke Nukem was a parody of '80s action films, which have long fallen off the radar.

Still might work as a big dumb action film, if it's got a good script.

10. Re: John Cena to Star in Duke Nukem Movie? Jan 23, 2018, 12:03 jdreyer

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 23, 2018, 11:01:
Sure. Why not. It is not like anyone expects anything good from this franchise at this point. Go crazy. This movie will probably only be good for generating internet memes and reaction gifs.

(Duke Nukem voice) "This movie will rip you a new one!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2018, 02:56 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 19:39:
1badmf wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 17:15:
too bad zimmer doesn't have half of john williams' gift for composition. zimmer's music is all variations of three or four chords with a barf-inducing BLARRRRRRRGH mixed in. he makes it sound good, i'll give him that, but listen to his work next to williams' superman theme or empire strikes back and the difference in musical complexity is obvious, even to a layman.

My take is Zimmer tends to experiment with sounds and music more broadly than Williams that somehow feel fresh and new. A few notable examples comes to mind are the "BWAAAAAHHH" sound from Inception (it was new for its time). The Organ/harpsichord making a prominent role in Interstellar, and the quiet instrumental pieces "Day One." The endless, atypical drum beats from Dunkirk.

Zimmer definitely uses a much wider range of music as inspiration from rock, to African, to choir, to jazz. While I feel Zimmer is better at setting a mood, I think Williams is more talented from a musical composition standpoint. I love the music from both men, and my MP3 player is packed with themes they've written.

As for the BWAAAAH from the Inception trailer, that wasn't Hans Zimmer. It was Mind Heist by Zack Hemsey. On the other hand, Time is an absolutely stunning work that fits the movie Inception beautifully.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2018, 02:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 23:36:
Noticed this story on Net Neutrality in the NYT. It will be interesting to see if the GOP run FCC decides to "do something" about it. I mean they shouldn't have a problem since they are the "state rights" party, but I'm guessing they'll conveniently forget that in this case...

If they challenge this law, then that opens the door to challenge all those anti-community broadband laws.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 22, 2018, 20:45 jdreyer

That Amazon store sounds cool in theory. I hate lines. On the other hand, while supermarkets are already kind of big brothery, the his takes it to a whole new level.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 22, 2018, 20:39 jdreyer

"FaceTime?"  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 22, 2018, 20:38 jdreyer

Has nothing to do with iPhone X $1000 price tag.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 16:11 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 13:32:
I don't believe Chris Nolan has made a film that I did not like. He is an amazing director and writer with the ability to move from genre to genre effortlessly. I wonder if he has become this generation's Stephen Spielberg. I say that because Spielberg's work has suffered for more than a few years. Thoughts?

Nolan's an amazing director. I'd agree that he could be the new Spielberg. He even goes for the same schmaltzy emotional beats.

Does that make Zimmer this generation's Williams, given that he always scores Nolan's movies, as Williams has done for Spielberg?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2018, 16:04 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 13:20:
@jdreyer, for the love of god don't feed.

Was he trolling? Pointing out that we're a plutocratic oligarchy is something I completely agree with.

10. Re: Facebook admits what we all know: that social media can be bad for democracy Jan 22, 2018, 16:01 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 13:09:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 12:42:
Still, I prefer our trappings of democracy to that of most other nations.

That's a black or white logical fallacy and you know it.

Nobody is saying that a dictatorship, or the US taboo C and S words are a better option. All are opinion based and deeply flawed with their ( either as a voter and/or decision maker ) "my ignorance has the same weight as your knowledge". Right now, opinion and ignorance are mostly ruling the world, not knowledge nor wisdom.

A valid alternative that has never been tried nor explored is an evidence based decision system, similar to the scientific method. And to be clear, I'm not talking about a technocracy, unless you consider the scientific method's way of arriving at a working theory and an, as close as possible to reality, understanding of the mechanics of a particular issue/phenomenon from a hypothesis(es) a technocratic process.

Now this is a functional opinion-less decision making process I could get behind.
I think progressive politics tends to be more evidence based, whereas conservatives are more ideological. So there's a clear choice in our current system.

I agree more scientific rigor needs to be used assessing legislation. For example, it's very clear scientifically that flatter wealth distribution makes for a stronger more vibrant economy with happier citizens. Yet, we just passed a tax law that makes wealth distribution worse.

My last comment was merely to point out that things could be worse.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 13:31 jdreyer

Letís talk about the big scary asteroid thatís NOT going to hit Earth.

C'mon, you'll never get any clicks with a title like that! Try this both clickbaity yet scientifically accurate title:

Skyscraper-sized asteroid could hit the Earth! *

* probability of one in a billion billion.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 13:28 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 11:45:
I would love to take mass transit to my job that is an hour away. Unfortunately, that infrastructure doesn't exist. Hell, even if I lived within the city itself, there is no infrastructure to take mass transit to my job in a timely manner.

What irks me is that we have massive, unnecessary expenditures but we can't afford repairs or improvements to infrastructure.

Which city?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2018, 13:04 jdreyer

Frijoles wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 11:29:
Playboy has filed a lawsuit against Boing Boing, accusing the offbeat news blog of copyright infringement for linking to an Imgur gallery and a YouTube video that showed every Playmate centerfold.

So uh.. where was this Imgur gallery link? I'm practicing my law stuffs and need to do some research.

Edit: Nevermind... it's been removed. I was not one of the lucky 2 million that viewed that link.

Isn't that protected free speech? They're reporting on work done by someone else. If it turns out that person broke the law, that has nothing to do with reporting the activity.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 22, 2018, 12:58 jdreyer

iBuyPower at CES 2018: Putting a Monitor Inside A Snowblind PC.

If I had that case, I could put a Raspberry Pi inside, but program the panel to show a Core i7, water cooling rig, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB RAM, etc.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2018, 12:55 jdreyer

Good for this guy. I picked this up for $5 and played it for a few hours, but it never grabbed me.  

5. Re: Facebook admits what we all know: that social media can be bad for democracy Jan 22, 2018, 12:42 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 12:18:
"the damage that the internet can do to even a well-functioning democracy"

There's so much wrong in this single sentence... The internet did nothing, people did. And a well functioning democracy? It has been scientifically proven to be a plutocratic oligarchy.

What democracy?

I don't know about scientifically proven, but definitely empirically proven.

Still, I prefer our trappings of democracy to that of most other nations.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 22, 2018, 12:37 jdreyer

I'm sure all the confusing, free to play bullshit is simply to encourage people to plunk down $90 for the complete version. It's all intentional.  

21473 Comments. 1074 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo