Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On October 9, 2004
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 29925 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Reviews

12. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 15:08  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 13:29:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 12:30:
Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 12:15:
Everything glowing - can't wait until Friday.

But, what is coming after this. What other fps games are in the works?

Literally the only game that matters is Cyberpunk 2077. Nothing else is even remotely interesting.

Couldn't disagree, but would like something that won't be all consuming. The fps roadmap looks bleaker than it's ever been.

But yes, cp2077 is going to be a black hole that absorbs the entire industry for weeks. None of us can even look elsewhere.

Have you already played every decent FPS over the past 5 years or so?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 15:07  jdreyer 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 13:22:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 12:55:
Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe - WIRED.

Bethesda's check to Wired got lost in the mail.

Reading their review, I'm still going to get the game. "Immense," "combat...adds new elements, arguably too many" with some complaints about the story being convoluted. It's all good, man.

I am still deep into Phoenix Point(started my game up again, fuck the middle game of that game, currently) and still playing Division 2, so maybe in a few months, DOOM:E.

Yeah, Phoenix point got widely panned, but that doesn't mean there isn't fun things to do there. As a big XCom fan, I intend on picking it up at some point.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

7. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 12:55  jdreyer 

Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe - WIRED.

Bethesda's check to Wired got lost in the mail.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 17, 2020, 02:17  jdreyer 

ldonyo wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 12:24:
The FCC, and the Paihole in particular, took themselves out of the ISP regulatory loop when the stupidly revoked the Net Neutrality rules and claimed they had no jurisdiction to regulate broadband. Congress is equally to blame for this, as they have steadfastly refused to codify anything to prevent the abuses by ISPs that are sure to take place.

Congress can't bite the hand that feeds... them millions in campaign funds.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 17, 2020, 02:15  jdreyer 

1badmf wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 21:26:
fyi, the best coronavirus map i've seen is actually this one from johns hopkins.

Yeah, had that JH one pinned for a month.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 17, 2020, 02:13  jdreyer 

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 19:51:
"Amazon to hire 100,000 workers as online orders surge on virus worries"

Ahh, so you're gonna pile in a few hundred to a few thousand people into a warehouse?
Alright.

I get that you kind of have to do this, but man, that's asking for trouble

In fairness, they're pretty spread out.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

2. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 17, 2020, 02:12  jdreyer 

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 19:40:
There is an inverse relationship between the "accessibility" of the design tools and the long-term quality of the games made by them. Sure, you can make PUBG, DotA, or other lightning-in-a-bottle games using only modding tools. But you can only do it once. After that, it's just another PUBG or DotA clone. The first team to make an innovative game with the assets available in Core will reap the rewards. Everyone else will just be making a game that looks like that one...

Yup, if you want to make an FTL, Into the Breach, Rogue Legacy, or BroForce, you gotta know how to code.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

45. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 23:01  jdreyer 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 21:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 17:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 16:46:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 14:07:
Also, we're lucky that it was a virus with a low mortality that went viral, and not the bird flu with its 60% mortality rate. Then we'd be well and truly fucked.

If there was a pandemic which killed 60% of the population, it might be better to be part of the 60%... afterwards is going to be ugly.

Initially? Sure. After that things would be much better for those who remain. Cheap real estate, no shortage of job opportunities, etc. Thanos was right.

Cutter, things aren´t so incredibly simple !

The world is like a castle of cards.

Drinkable water, food, fertilizer, pesticides, oil, energy, health carers, medicaments, security, the economy, trade, trucks, engines, and a thousand more, all depend on prepared -that alone may take years- and organized people to function.

Take away sufficient, and it all will go to hell *fast*

With a diminished civilization, what real estate demand with a surplus of houses, even today in Japan vacant houses are mandatorily demolished, what jobs with a dispersed or nearly lawless population, rather famines and dying of infected cavities.

Full or even partial recovery to actual standards, could take decades or centuries, or not happen *at all*.

I hope you were sarcastic or playful, and not so cold-hearted, you worry me, man.

Goggle it for respected sources.

Best of wishes

Yup, the only survivors in the US would be preppers and Mormons.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 22:58  jdreyer 

Brazil nuts have abundant selenium. So much in fact, that you'll poison yourself if you have more than four (4) nuts per day. Just one nut will provide the daily RDA.

House had a whole episode where they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the guy, until the end when he revealed he'd just been to Brazil. Turns out he'd eaten an entire bowl of Brazil nuts.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 21:00  jdreyer 

Genesys wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 20:06:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 19:10:

Dude, Idris Elba is a major Hollywood star.
- Bad guy in Hobbes and Shaw
- Heimdall in half a dozen Marvel movies
- Bad guy in Star Trek Beyond
- Lead in Dark Tower movie
- Pilot in Prometheus
And of course, his greatest role: Stacker Pentecost in Pacific Rim!

Between TV and movies, he's been almost 100 shows. He was next in line for James Bond until he turned it down.

He was also a great vampire hunter in a 6-part miniseries called Ultraviolet, long before The Wire.

Haven't seen that. Is it available on Netflix, Prime, or Hulu? I did enjoy Luther quite a bit, and he was great in that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2020, 20:56  jdreyer 

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 14:06:
Is it even true 4K? Or some lower resolution or some form of DLSS?
If you wanted a PC like that, you would need to pay close to $1.5k.

Pretty sure it will be less than that.
CPU 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.6 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU - $300
GPU 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU - $400
Memory 16 GB GDDR6 - Not for sale yet, but let's estimate $150
Internal Storage 1 TB Custom NVME SSD - $100
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive - $100
Motherboard - $100
Case $50 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Total: $1200

These are retail prices, so MS should expect steep discounts for buying in millions of units. Cost of parts is probably $800 total per XBox unit. I wouldn't be surprised if the price was $700-800 MSRP.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 16, 2020, 20:46  jdreyer 

Pokémon Go temporarily changes mechanics to reduce spread of COVID-19.

That's actually pretty cool. That said, the safest thing would be to shut games like this down so people aren't tempted to go all over the place running into other people.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2020, 19:31  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:34:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:10:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 14:07:
Bumpy wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 13:02:
Waiting for the Xbox VR announcement....<crickets?>
Wait for Alyx. If anything is going to kickstart VR, its that game.

Has Valve ever ported a game to console?
Half Life for PlayStation 2
Portal 1&2 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Didn't know about HL. Forgot about Portal.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 19:19  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 18:38:
McDonalds closes golden arches seating
God damnit, I don't want to get that healthy.
fast food merchant to announce it is closing all seating areas, effective at the close of business today.
Franchisees are “strongly encouraged to adopt similar operations procedures.”
Starbucks, Shake Shack and others have already announced they are moving to take out only until the situation is under control.

And the US average triglyceride level just dropped 10 points.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 19:18  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 18:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 18:14:
It's beginning to look like early Covid19 may not be asymptomatic. GI problems and shedding the virus in stool (diarrhea) is suspected in latest China study. Results similar to SARS.

That's no good. The girlfriend and I have had weird stomachs since Thursday or Friday. Regardless of this, I'd say there's a solid 75% chance I have it. But, I'm youngish and healthy, so...

You should get tested. Oh wait, there aren't any tests to be had.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 19:11  jdreyer 

PHJF wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 16:22:
What are other mandated-shut-ins firing up this week?

Ori and the Wisps, obviously. Should be mandatory play for everyone.

I guess I should check out the first one first. It's sitting in my queue, installed but unplayed.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 19:10  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:41:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:36:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:35:
You're the king of obscure stuff. Thankfully, a quick Google search for "idris elba" informs me. Would it kill you to put in a quick "idris elba has COVID-19?"

Never watched The Wire, apparently?

Obviously. Like I said, the king of obscure stuff.

Dude, Idris Elba is a major Hollywood star.
- Bad guy in Hobbes and Shaw
- Heimdall in half a dozen Marvel movies
- Bad guy in Star Trek Beyond
- Lead in Dark Tower movie
- Pilot in Prometheus
And of course, his greatest role: Stacker Pentecost in Pacific Rim!

Between TV and movies, he's been almost 100 shows. He was next in line for James Bond until he turned it down.

Never mind. Read KX's subsequent post.

KX, you should check out The Wire. Simply the greatest crime drama ever made. All four seasons are on Amazon Prime streaming right now. The series launched a dozen careers including Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, Dominic West, and others.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 19:05  jdreyer 

theglaze wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 15:11:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 14:12:
Biker Shocked To See Speeding Motorcyclists Coming Right At Him

Okay, that's a major code brown right there.

Not surprised to see the assholes wiped out. I wonder if they won a Darwin award.

"Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age" (wiki)

I enjoy riding because it takes 100% of my attention, ain't got time to think about what's for dinner or carrying mental garbage from work... gotta put all that stuff aside and focus. It's possible to squeeze out some speed without endangering others, but it takes discipline and checking your ego before putting on a helmet.

And then I see stupid shit like that video. You can see the 'pack mentality', of wanting to 'one-up' each other, and a false sense of security that it's safe because your buddies are doing the same stupid shit too (and getting away with it).

It's just as annoying to see this as those punkass GoPro dudes cursing at other motorists for 'violating' the riders right to safety. When I get on a bike, I assume everyone is out to kill me, especially through their ignorant behaviour. That's a risk all riders should assume.

The guy recording the video was doing 150 kph, which in itself is pretty stupid. Not as stupid as driving on the wrong side of the road however.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2020, 15:10  jdreyer 

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 14:07:
Bumpy wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 13:02:
Waiting for the Xbox VR announcement....<crickets?>
Wait for Alyx. If anything is going to kickstart VR, its that game.

Has Valve ever ported a game to console?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 14:12  jdreyer 

Biker Shocked To See Speeding Motorcyclists Coming Right At Him.

Okay, that's a major code brown right there.

Not surprised to see the assholes wiped out. I wonder if they won a Darwin award.

29925 Comments. 1497 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >