Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17277 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2016, 21:30 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 21:17:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 20:53:
TangledThorns wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 18:34:
The stock market is at record high. Gee, I wonder what event may have caused that? Probably has something to do with someone Making America Great Again Cheers

What is causing the massive stock market rally is the fact that Trump is overstuffing his cabinet and other government positions with lobbyists and corporate CEOs. The stock market knows that those people will prioritize corporate profits over the good of the American people.

Corporate Welfare Days are here again!

Yeah, it's Reagan Pt. II. all over. All those clowns who thought Trump was going to do right by them are going to have very sore asses at the end of his first term. Muslim IDs? Never going to happen. Kicking out the illegals? Lol, you'll probably see them double in number as they're cheap labor for him and his pals. Kill free trade? More like make it worse than ever. Oh man, Joe Sixpack is so boned and he doesn't even realize it.

And things that might have actually made a difference long term like a ban on lobbying of for five years after leaving the government, or congressional term limits were just sweet nothings too.

It's amazing how people who make $30K per year thought a landed gentry billionaire would have their best interests in mind.

TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2016, 21:25 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 19:00:
The stock market is at record high. Gee, I wonder what event may have caused that? Probably has something to do with someone Making America Great Again Cheers

We haven't seen the changes yet, right now it could be at a high because we survived the election. We have to give it time to see what will happen. Lower taxes will help. Isolation will hurt, perhaps critically, that is a key key thing to markets.

I'm still hopeful he is talking a tough game here, but it doesn't actually happen. That is one of the benefits to having the corporations involved, they don't want isolism at all, just afraid worker thinking he'd have a better job if everything was America imo wants that and there is no certainty that in the end will benefit them.

Lower taxes won't help. It's voodoo economics. Tax cuts will only benefit the rich, and they've had plenty of benefit already. Tax cuts to the rich don't really benefit the economy. They tend to save their money, not spend it, and spending is what creates a robust economy. That's how the USA got out of the 2008 recession while austerity-minded European economies floundered.

Also, any tax cuts to lower and middle classes won't be deep enough to provide meaningful relief.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2016, 20:53 jdreyer

What is causing the massive stock market rally is the fact that Trump is overstuffing his cabinet and other government positions with lobbyists and corporate CEOs. The stock market knows that those people will prioritize corporate profits over the good of the American people.

Corporate Welfare Days are here again!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2016, 13:53 jdreyer

the you-know-what test...

Fertility test?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 20:01 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 19:03:
You know The Asylum is going to come out with a Rogue One knockoff called Rouge One. You just know it!

Waiting for the inevitable pr0n parody: Stroke One.

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 14, 2016, 20:00 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 18:14:
Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 17:40:
Anyway, you guys know every movie doesn't have to be Oscar-worthy 'Saving Private Ryan' life-changing shit, right?

No, but there's a difference between a popcorn flick with a soul and a popcorn flick that is soulless. The Force Awakens was certainly the former, Rogue One may be the latter if many of the reviews are to be believed.

You're saying TFA has a soul?
A lot of people out there are saying R1 is more interesting and a better movie than TFA, having an original story and not slavishly mimicking ANH beat for beat.

And I'm pretty sure Saving Private Ryan only won Oscars for sound and special effects. edit: Looks like it got Director and Cinematography too.

Question: Without looking it up, which movie beat Saving Private Ryan to win the best movie Oscar that year? Having trouble? Just goes to show that the academy is not skilled at picking the greatest movie from the bunch. People still watch and refer to SPR. It's shown on TV many times a year, often unedited. It graces every top 10 war movies list. Watching it is used as punishment for people who vandalize national monuments.

That other movie? Largely forgotten.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 15:49 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 10:44:
That's called marketing, not the Force. It looks like a Disnified PC crap to me.

I must say the marketing for this movie has left me cold. Combine that with the abortion that was TFA and I'd decided to pass on this. However reviews are good so I'm reconsidering.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 14:04 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 10:37:

The star wars franchise continues, always worth a trip to the theater.

I misread the rip as Alan Rickman and was sad, but then I saw that Rickman also died this year and now I am the saddest.

At first I read it as Robin Thicke and didn't know whether to be happy or sad.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 14, 2016, 11:39 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 08:02:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 22:42:
Here's an article on what the pilots who fly the F-35 actually think of it.

A taste:

I was conducting a strike mission and Red Air was coming at me. In a 4th Gen fighter you must do a whole lot of interpretation. You see things in azimuth, and you see things in elevation. In the F-35 you just see the Godís eye view of the whole world. Itís very much like you are watching the briefing in real time.

I am coming in to perform the simulated weapons release, and Red Air is coming the other direction. I have enough situational awareness to assess whether Red Air is going to be a factor to me by the time I release the weapon. I can make the decision, Iím going to go to the target, Iím going to release this weapon. Simultaneously I pre-target the threat, and as soon as I release the A2G weapon, I can flip a switch with my thumb and shoot the Red Air. This is difficult to do in a 4th Gen fighter, because there is so much manipulation of systems in the cockpit. All while paying attention to the basic mechanics of flying the airplane and interpreting threat warnings that are often very vague, or only directional. In the F-35 I know where the threats are, what they are and I can thread the needle. I can tell that the adversary is out in front of me and I can make a very, very smart decision about whether to continue or get out of there. All that, and I can very easily switch between mission sets.
Nobody questions that the electronics in the F-35 are very advanced. Its still a plane that wasnt necessary, since you could simply upgrade older planes with stuff like that or make a new simpler one. Stealth is overrated and this plane tries to do too many jobs at once. Thats why its mediocre at best.

I recently saw a picture of a F-35 flying side by side with a F-16 at low speeds. The F-35 had to fly a far higher angle and to the eye it seemed like it was very close to stalling. The F-16 went pretty much straight.
I thought that picture revealed how bad the aerodynamics of that plane really are.

I agree a high-low mix is preferable to all stealth. We'd have been better off financially continuing to build F-22s, upgrading the avionics, developing a naval version, and buying more F-15s (probably Silent Eagle version) and F-18 SHs, which are both cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the original concept was that the F-35 was supposed to be cheap. Original estimates put it at under $50M per plane. But feature creep, poor planning, etc. etc. now put the cost at triple that once you factor in development costs (current build cost is $100M per F-35).

And yes, stealth planes have poor aerodynamics.

News Comments > Turtle Rock's New Co-op Shooter
16. Re: Turtle Rock's New Co-op Shooter Dec 13, 2016, 23:58 jdreyer

Wetworks wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 15:19:
There's so few current co-op shooters that I'm always willing to give a new one a fair shot. The next one I'm interested in is Mass Effect Andromeda MP which won't be out for another several months.

I wish them all the luck.

Have you tried Angels Fall First or Renegade X?

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2016, 22:42 jdreyer

Here's an article on what the pilots who fly the F-35 actually think of it.

A taste:

I was conducting a strike mission and Red Air was coming at me. In a 4th Gen fighter you must do a whole lot of interpretation. You see things in azimuth, and you see things in elevation. In the F-35 you just see the Godís eye view of the whole world. Itís very much like you are watching the briefing in real time.

I am coming in to perform the simulated weapons release, and Red Air is coming the other direction. I have enough situational awareness to assess whether Red Air is going to be a factor to me by the time I release the weapon. I can make the decision, Iím going to go to the target, Iím going to release this weapon. Simultaneously I pre-target the threat, and as soon as I release the A2G weapon, I can flip a switch with my thumb and shoot the Red Air. This is difficult to do in a 4th Gen fighter, because there is so much manipulation of systems in the cockpit. All while paying attention to the basic mechanics of flying the airplane and interpreting threat warnings that are often very vague, or only directional. In the F-35 I know where the threats are, what they are and I can thread the needle. I can tell that the adversary is out in front of me and I can make a very, very smart decision about whether to continue or get out of there. All that, and I can very easily switch between mission sets.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 13, 2016, 22:22 jdreyer

Bill Gates, investors launch $1 billion clean tech fund.

Glad Bill is putting some money into this, but I wish he'd done so a decade ago.

I will say I admire the way he's spent his money on charitable causes since leaving MS.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2016, 22:15 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 15:29:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 15:21:
OH SHUT UP you crying baby. Fuck you liberals are worse than bed bugs you follow every story everywhere and get into anything

FLAG ON THE FIELD! Unsupportable ad hominem attack. 25 yard penalty, third down.

LOL, I got quite a chuckle out of that.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2016, 22:14 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 13:59:
Trump just said what everyone in any way already familiar with the project knows to be true. We've wasted billions on a jet that is outclassed at every level by fighters we sold to our enemies. Political bullshit is the only reason we are still throwing money at this failed project.

Also, Obama directly cost me my job at Lockheed when he took office, so fuck people who think this is just a Trump thing.

1. "Everyone" might know it's "true" but the PEOTUS is the only person with the power to cause LockMart to lose $2B in value from a single tweet.

2. Which aircraft did we sell to our enemies that outclasses the F-35?

3. How'd you lose your job? When the F-22 line was shut down?

4. The F-35 has been rife with problems: 15 year development cycle, built in 40 states, software bugs and delays, billions in cost overruns, double the maintenance costs vs. other jets, concurrency issues, weapons incompatibility, etc. That being said, it's too late, we're stuck with it. We've already built more than 200 aircraft, and there's no equivalent alternative. Even if we wanted to try and acquire Rafales, Eurofighters, and Gripens instead, we'd never get the numbers (assuming we could even overcome the political opposition to buying European).

Apparently the F-35 for all its issues, has been very successful in simulated war games. Stealth + sensor fusion appears to be a game-changer. It's important to remember that a lot of aircraft have teething problems. The F-16 had the nickname "lawndart" early in its deployment, but went on to become an iconic fighter jet. So here's to hoping the F-35 ends up being a great plane that allows the USA to maintain its air dominance capability.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch
24. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Dec 13, 2016, 01:13 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 22:26:
Three points.

1. You guys do that on just about every game. I've learned to ignore your snarky, cranky criticisms or take them as humorous posts. I even do that myself. But for serious things I looked to the gaming media to be watch dogs. Geoff Keighley, for example, knew months in advance the status of the game and didn't warn consumers about it. He even told HG they should release NMS as early access. He should have warned us.

We were fairly analytical in our discussion of NMS March - July 2016. "Where's the game play?" "Why are they keeping so many things secret?" "Looks like a tech demo." "What's there to do?" "Procgen done wrong can be shallow." Etc.

2. "Where's the beef?" is not the same as saying "There is no beef!" I'll remind you that none of you said that, or more specifically stated the game would not have core features Sean pitched at launch. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

"Where's the beef?" <> "There is no beef," that's true.
"Where's the beef?" == "Wait for the reviews before plunking down cold hard cash." A whole bunch of us here saw the warning signs, we waited, and we didn't get burned. The penalty for waiting? A couple of extra days of playing something else while we waited for the word.

3. I visit Blue's News mostly, but it is not the only site I visit for my gaming news and reviews. The news surrounding NMS was much bigger than Blue's News.

You may stray, but you'll always come back to papa.

Look, I've said before I admire your faith in humanity. But be a little patient with your game purchases and you'll be happier for it.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 13, 2016, 00:29 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 23:49:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 22:23:
I told my wife it was national sound check day and to celebrate I need3d a new $2000 stereo system. She wasn't buying it.

Of course not, she wanted you to buy it yourself

Gah, I pitched that softball down the middle, didn't I.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 12, 2016, 22:23 jdreyer

I told my wife it was national sound check day and to celebrate I need3d a new $2000 stereo system. She wasn't buying it.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 12, 2016, 22:14 jdreyer

Government Ponders Ban on In-Flight Phone Calls.

Texts okay.

Calls, not so much.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Windows 10 WiFi dead Dec 12, 2016, 17:41 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 13:22:
I know BN is on pins and needles with my "block updates" update.

Still no updates forced on me since disabling Windows Update and BITS service, this happened right around the time the free offer expired. No viruses, no security breaches, I also have a clone image just in case, no issues. Sort of like video drivers, I update when I have to, not when others state perhaps I should. We all have our beliefs in all of this, just saying it seems you can shut off updates in Win10 easily enough.

Yeah, my internet sometimes disappears, usually after sleeping. When I go to disable and enable adapters, I find there are none. I have to reboot.

I'll try ipconfig /renew next time though.

And yeah, I meant to disable the automatic update, but got busy and forgot. I'll have to look in to that, although won't have time until after Christmas.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 12, 2016, 17:38 jdreyer

This video should be mandatory viewing for drone purchasers.  

17277 Comments. 864 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo