Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17524 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2017, 02:11 jdreyer

Okay, that Mozilla branding is clever.  

TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 01:55 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:54:
If we focused on 100% empathy, war (never changes ...) err .. I mean war would never be an option. Most of the victims of war are regular people struggling to live out their daily lives and take care of their families. If we focused on punishing tyrants as much as we do our own domestic violent criminals, we'd rarely have wars .. but it seems okay to bomb the shit out of people's homes and city infrastructures instead of expending all that effort to directly capture or kill an evil dictator and his ruthless regime.

But ... Why?

Without war, we wouldn't have any video games to play.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 01:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 20:08:
found it.
https://hardforum.com/threads/steve-is-no-longer-h.1922667/

Finally, if you want to find someone to be mad at for me no longer being at the [H], you can put the blame solidly on ad-blocking. If I could ask one thing from all of you, it would be to whitelist the [H] (if you are ad-blocking) so that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

There are technologies out there that detect ad-blockers and request you to whitelist.

Also, I don't know [H]'s ad policy, but even someone as diligent as Blue can get hijack ads. The ad companies themselves need to reform so this shit doesn't threaten end users. Or in the case when I use my old laptop, peg my procs so I can't even navigate the site. Also, burning out my proc, which I had to have replaced once already. And don't even get me started on mobile.

I do whitelist sites (Blues, a few others) but I don't go to [H] more than a couple of times a year.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
37. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 19, 2017, 01:43 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 12:59:
He didn't, and you didn't.

First off, it hardly matters where Snowden was traveling. Or where he ended up. You guys are hyperfocusing on that. What matters is that he ran. Manning didn't. I don't know how many of you have kids, but if your kid did something bad and owned up to it, wouldn't you punish him differently than if he ran? In the legal system, this happens all the time. In humanity, this happens all the time. It's easier to forgive those who admit they did something that may be in need of forgiving.
I think your analogy is too simplistic, and doesn't describe the situation. It's more like this:

Billy sees a fight in the cafeteria, so he tells a teacher. The teacher tells him to shut up and mind his own business. So he pulls the fire alarm, clearing the building and stopping the fight. Despite his good deed, he is harassed by faculty and staff relentlessly to the point of dropping to a D-student and being an outcast at school. This happens to a couple other kids. (See: Binney, Drake, Manning)

Eddie sees a fight in the cafeteria, and mentions it to a teacher. Again, it's mind your own business. Having witnessed the treatment of Billy and others, Eddie pulls the fire alarm, runs home, and transfers schools to avoid punishment.

I get what you're saying logically, but understand when you say "flee to Russia" you're implying his intent, which was never there. Better to say "He fled the USA and ended up in Russia."

36. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 19, 2017, 00:56 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 16:50:
*starts rant*
So much to unpack here!
You people are some of the stupidest people I have ever seen, Treason is treason, there is no grey line.
Okay, ad hominem uncalled for, but no one is arguing there's a gray line.
When you release classified information to a foreign govt and entity. that is treason.
Actually, no. Here's the definition of treason, from Article III.
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.
Purty sure Manning was doing none of those things.
When you are a serving member of the US Govt or Military, you do not have the same rights as the standard citizen.
Actually, can you show me in the constitution where it says soldiers give up their rights? Because I don't see that.
You give up those rights, you also sign a document when working for any Govt stating so and also outlining your rights.
Different laws may apply to you, but the constitution still applies. You'll need to be more specific.
You are especially accountable for any act of Treason such as these two people did.
First, you need to read the definition of treason again. Second, soldiers are no more or less accountable for treason than anyone else.
Those crimes are punishable by death.
Has anyone argued otherwise?
This POS Manning caused the deaths of people because of his actions. theirs no excusing that, none at all!!
Links? Because I got a brigadier general who says otherwise.

This act from Obama is nothing more then him thumbing his nose at the America public and the incoming president.
Or maybe this is Obama being compassionate to an individual who suffered 8 years of punishment, some of it illegal, for trying to reveal wrongdoing, even if he did it in an illegal manner.
this is him lighting dumpster fires on his way out and Its bullshit, you all need to evaluate your moral compass because its way the fuck out of alignment.
I got news for you: the dumpster fire is just beginning, and it will burn for the next four years. At least.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 02:47 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 23:35:
Darks wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 22:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 20:48:
THANK YOU OBAMA!!! Edward Snowden should have been on that list.

President Obama will be known as one of the greatest Presidents in the history of the United States and drumpf will be nothing but an ugly forgotten footnote.

You are a POS and whats wrong with this country. its people like u and your stupid ass thinking thats gotten this country to its knees. Fucking moron!! These people committed treason, do you have any fucking clue what that is or what that means??
At first thought you were trying to be ironically funny. They exposed treason, i.e whistle blowers. Is there a single piece of verifiable evidence, they are not whistle blowers? Link please.

"Because someone said so" doesn't count. Actual verifiable legal evidence. We are talking about treason, that's based on facts.

He's probably saying that because Manning was convicted under the Espionage act, a law that is just waiting for the right court case to be overturned by the first amendment.

Also, here's the definition of treason. Pretty sure it doesn't apply to Manning:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 02:41 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 22:03:

President Obama will be known as one of the greatest Presidents in the history of the United States and drumpf will be nothing but an ugly forgotten footnote.

Snowden can't be on that list. He hasn't been convicted of anything. Plus, I like Snowden and support what you're saying, but let's not pretend his actions are similar to Manning's. Manning stayed here and faced the penalties. Snowden fled to Russia.

It's a lot easier to forgive someone that has accepted responsibility. We can argue all day and night why Snowden didn't, but the fact remains that he didn't. Manning did. Manning was charged, convicted, served, and now commuted.

1. The presidential pardon power does not require conviction to be exercised. Had Obama desired to, he could have pardoned Snowden. Obama is no idiot, he knows why Snowden fled giving the way his predecessors' treatment while trying to whistleblow within the system and chain of command. In fact, it was Manning's horrendous treatment that was probably the deciding factor for Snowden to leave. As much as I appreciate what Obama has accomplished in office, and respect the man personally, his war against whistleblowers is one of the low points of his presidency.

2. Snowden did not "flee to Russia." He was in transit when his passport got revoked and was trapped there.

America in a nutshell: Manning leaks secret docs to blow the whistle, gets 35 years in Leavenworth. Petraeus leaks secret docs in exchange for sex, gets 2 years probation.

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 02:24 jdreyer

The Obama administration's justifications for Manning and not Snowden:

“Chelsea Manning is somebody who went through the military criminal justice process, was exposed to due process, was found guilty, was sentenced for her crimes, and she acknowledged wrongdoing,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest said at a press briefing last Friday. “Mr. Snowden fled into the arms of an adversary, and has sought refuge in a country that most recently made a concerted effort to undermine confidence in our democracy.”

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 18, 2017, 02:20 jdreyer

Charter Urges Fire Victims to 'Dig Through Rubble' For Cable Box.

STOP RAKING CUSTOMERS OVER THE COALS BY 'RENTING' THEM A GODDAMN CABLE BOX, AND THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

Seriously, just nationalize the fucking ISPs already and treat internet as an essential service like water or sewage.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 02:16 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 00:56:
EA customer support will get back to you within a day or so, yes, but most of their agents are borderline illiterate and completely ignorant of anything to do with the games they're answering questions about. The few times I've had to deal with those morons, I think I'd almost prefer to have never gotten a response at all...

Star Citizen support will get back to you in less than 24 hours, and they have yet to ship a single game...

16. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 02:14 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:41:
nin wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:01:
As fucked up as it sounds, I enjoyed the flash sales and checking in, even for that insane deal at 2 in the morning...

I buy a lot more at gog now anyway...back to collecting the classics.

Yup, sorry RedEye9, I'm with Nin here. Flash sales forced people to participate to get good deals and was often a community event. Everyone knows the real reason Steam stopped was because of the return policy. If it's not now, soon be will internationally enforced, after the Australian legal decision.

Gog runs flash sales, and they also have a return policy.

15. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 02:12 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:01:
As fucked up as it sounds, I enjoyed the flash sales and checking in, even for that insane deal at 2 in the morning...

I buy a lot more at gog now anyway...back to collecting the classics.

4 hour flash sales sucked, but the daily ones were cool. Always looked forward to seeing what was on sale and featured. Probably better for my pocketbook this way though: I spend less now.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 16:07 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 16:00:
TangledThorns wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 14:06:
What Bond needs is better writers. It seems like whenever they cast a new Bond the first film is awesome and the following films suck.

Spectre was bleh but Skyfall ruled. That's the best one to date now. And QoS was better than CR. So that's not true.

Have you been at the Gaffer's home brew again? CS was tight. QoS was a mess.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 16:04 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 15:49:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 14:14:
Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 10:44:

On the other hand, he's wrong, wrapping race, gender, etc., into that. If you talk to most non-straight-white-males, they'd say that relations are the best they've ever been in this country. Straight white men, though, think we've never been more divided on those fronts.

I think you'll need to provide some links to some stats their son.

We can start with today's NYT, which has an article about how Republican Men are the only people in the country who think it's a better time to be a woman than a man.

I'll buy that. I was more referring to whether non-whites statistically believe that the current time is the best ever or not given the police shootings, BLM, the election of Trump, etc.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Jan 17, 2017, 15:57 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 15:50:
SlimRam wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 00:13:
Reddit: "Yeah, we have a question from... SlimRam. He asks, Do you have a specific room where you just stare at your cash and, you know, jack it?"
sort of http://www.hardocp.com/image/MTQ4NDY1ODU2MXVWNVgzTDM0UFBfMV8xX2wuanBn
That is hilarious.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jan 17, 2017, 14:18 jdreyer

We need a followup story on how this Reddit went.  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 14:17 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 12:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 12:03:
One good super flu could fix things for us... I mean if 50% of the population was wiped out there would be plenty of resources for everyone. Yes, I am kidding. Sort of...

Space exploration could solve that .. colonization on other planets.

Here's an interesting TV episode on 'what if' world's the population were smaller.

LOL, that will take 100s of years, if not 1000s. We've got a much shorter timeframe than that to head of extinction.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 14:16 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 12:03:
One good super flu could fix things for us... I mean if 50% of the population was wiped out there would be plenty of resources for everyone. Yes, I am kidding. Sort of...

That would help for a couple of decades at best. A super flu wiped out half the population of Europe 400 years ago, and yet here we are. Ditto for WW1 and the Spanish flu.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 14:16 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 11:26:
We haven't 'nothin' yet. Once AI gets more sophisticated to the point of replacing highly skilled professions - like doctors and engineers - and robots will perform perfect human tasks - the joblessness, homelessness, and amount of people in and below poverty will skyrocket, which in turn will drastically spike property crime, petty theft, and black-markets. Unless, of course, the economy is drastically altered to accommodate for these impending waves of human obsolescence with a 're-educate, re-employ, public salary' system, whereby it's compulsory for local, state, or federal government to intervene.

Real estate. The robots won't own that! Then you and all your future generations can live together in that 1000sq ft house for all of eternity.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 14:14 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 10:44:

On the other hand, he's wrong, wrapping race, gender, etc., into that. If you talk to most non-straight-white-males, they'd say that relations are the best they've ever been in this country. Straight white men, though, think we've never been more divided on those fronts.

I think you'll need to provide some links to some stats their son.

17524 Comments. 877 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo