Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 23318 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2018, 17:04 jdreyer

Galaxy might sell better if it weren't $800 or whatever.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 31, 2018, 17:03 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 12:00:
Why Iím Deleting All My Old Tweets
Because you realized it's a cesspool and you wisened up?
Because the internet is a public forum where nothing ever disappears and will be held against you until long after you have left this material plane?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2018, 17:01 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 15:48:
Quboid wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 15:41:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 15:27:
Samsung: STOP WITH THE FUCKING CURVED EDGES!!! Nobody wants them. It's a main reason I've stuck with my Note 4 this long. >:/

(That and my 6500mAh battery. )

I do, they have the best screen:body size ratio. The Edge features are useless gimmicks but the larger screen isn't.

Agreed. I do use the Edge quicklaunch feature for Clock and Calendar, but could probably put those anywhere. I don't put anything else on them.

I like having as few icons on my screen, so it's usually two clicks to launch anything other than the small handful of apps I use regularly (basically Uber, Instagram, Maps, Chrome & Textra.)

Beam, do you even own a car at this point, or do you just take public and Uber when you need to get around the city?

News Comments > Abstractism Yoinked
8. Re: Abstractism Yoinked Jul 31, 2018, 16:43 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 14:27:
Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 14:00:
Frijoles wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 12:20:
I'd like to see Valve release a Steam Premier which is basically a curated form of their store. Leave Steam up with all the shit that goes with it for people who like to live dangerously. Steam Premier could be like old Steam. Same app, just a different section of it.

So a walled garden, with a gate in the back that you can cross into if you feel like it, though few probably would?

I know for a fact what I'm thinking when he refers to the premium. I would like to see more customization on what gets pushed at me. I continually tell steam, I'm not interested in certain games that I flag. But the fricking things still keep popping up. I want full control over what I block so I never have to see it pop up ever again.
Sadly, letting you block games and genres you're not into is counter to Steam making money, so it will never happen.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization - MoviePass Jul 31, 2018, 14:38 jdreyer

Jonjonz wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 07:29:
The problem here is MoviePass was just a piker middleman.

Movies as a service, may resurface if the big studios ever grasp what EA is doing with games.

AMC is doing just that with their Stubs A-List program.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2018, 14:37 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 12:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 06:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 21:37:
Defense Distributed might be a TX company but they can rot in hell.
Cody Wilson is imo a terrorist.
Hogwash
Untraceable and undetectable weapons are #MAGA!!1!

Heard yesterday that states with Stand Your Ground laws have seen their murder rates go up 7%. White males account for nearly all of the increase in victims. That 7% doesn't include the people killed where SYG was applied correctly, just those cases where it wasn't.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2018, 02:48 jdreyer

I guess I would be more surprised if they WEREN'T tracking people.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2018, 02:44 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 15:46:
Great article on SpaceX, Musk is kicking ass and taking names.

We're living in an era of giants like Einstein and Edison. Elon Musk is a modern day Howard Hughes! When I hear people say what a failure he or his companies are because they keep messing up, they fail to understand that his companies work on technology that has never existed before. There's no template for reusable rockets or driver-less cars. They're going to fail regularly, but each failure is a learning experience. Remember how many attempts SpaceX made to launch and land their reusable rocket? But remember how awesome it was when they finally succeeded?

Good stuff!

Watching those two rockets land was like watching the CG effect from some sci-fi movie.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 31, 2018, 02:31 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:11:
Testing 1 2 3

More testing!

Testing to the max!

Dude,

1. What the hell are you testing?

2. Please submit your test cases for review.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2018, 02:29 jdreyer

maddog wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 01:12:
The whole point of easily made home made firearms is that you can't stop me from making them no matter how many laws you pass.

*laughs in freedom*

You're mad, dog.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2018, 02:29 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 21:37:
Defense Distributed might be a TX company but they can rot in hell.

Yeah, 3D printed guns are a terrible idea.

Do they sell plans for a six barrel minigun? Just asking theoretically.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 31, 2018, 02:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 21:34:
How the f*ck is Uber the most valuable venture-backed startup in the US and the world. asking for a friend

Also, is it just me or is it a bit early to be giving up on self driving trucks?

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 31, 2018, 02:20 jdreyer

Whelp, been good knowing you Moviepass.  

News Comments > Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained
24. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 21:56 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 20:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 19:29:
It's not a bad theory, but from what I've heard in this game it is maxing out the GPU's and the CPU's are are at a 1/3's usage, not cpu bound, the opposite of what you write in this case.

The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen, unlike with the GPU where all it does is accelerate graphics and will sit around doing next to nothing otherwise. You might get a portion of CPU cores/threads running full tilt, but that will still only look like partial utilization from the overall "CPU usage" meter.

Civilization doesn't 100% a CPU, either, yet you will see large gains in how long it takes to crunch the AI turns with a faster CPU compared to a slower one. In Grand Theft Auto IV or V, you see a direct FPS increase because of all the underlying physics, AI, and resource streaming. Same with Bethesda games, and the way they load and unload cells full of objects and actors within a radius of the player. Especially since the only way to truly increase the draw distance in Skyrim or FO4 is to increase that radius, which means exponentially larger portions of the game world being actively simulated. People do it because they want to see more detail off in the distance, but don't realize that their performance is tanking because of their CPU/RAM, not their GPU (or "poor optimization," as is blamed when they have a 1080). All of these games will max out your GPU, but not the CPU... Yet they still perform better with a better CPU.

Edit to add: I noticed the article linked here says "[He] used an Intel i7-4790K with 16GB of RAM so obviously he was not CPU limited." That's exactly what I'm talking about -- even the journalists who write about this sort of thing regularly are still stuck in that mindset that games do not ever and could never conceivably use a lot of CPU power.
There was an article Blue posted a few days ago comparing the first Intel six core proc from nine years ago with the current Intel proc. There was a strong effect on FPS, although less than what you would see from a GPU of that era vs a modern one.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 21:31 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 17:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 16:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 13:13:
People not getting up to speed and/or slowing down before merging is at the top of my enragement list along with pulling out in front of someone and going slow as fuck.

One thing I didn't see was not allowing people to merge. So many times I've been trying to merge, up to highway speed, there's a gap and then someone speeds up to close the gap. Itís a straight up dick move. One of the things I have to watch out for daily are the people in the middle lane whoíll move into the right lane, that also has merging traffic, for the purpose of passing. Iíve had a few near misses with that one. All great points in the video though, so many self absorbed people out there.
Our AI chauffeurs can't come soon enough.

Luckily I live in a place where people are pretty good about letting others merge. It's contagious, as I find myself waving people in ahead of me all the time. Good thing too, cuz we have some hairy merges.

i try to be a generous driver, but it's hard sometimes, like when it's obvious the dude is being a selfish dipshit, cutting in a line we've all waited several lights for, i'll tailgate like pack of ducklings. the funny thing is, if they do a simple thing like signal i'll often still let them in, because to me it's like they're asking for permission first, and that little act of consideration is enough for me to let it go.
Yeah I used to hate that shit too. However I read about a study where cutting in actually improves traffic flow. So I'm more tolerant of it now.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2018, 21:25 jdreyer

Wondering if Beamer will pick up that watch...  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 16:41 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 13:13:
People not getting up to speed and/or slowing down before merging is at the top of my enragement list along with pulling out in front of someone and going slow as fuck.

One thing I didn't see was not allowing people to merge. So many times I've been trying to merge, up to highway speed, there's a gap and then someone speeds up to close the gap. Itís a straight up dick move. One of the things I have to watch out for daily are the people in the middle lane whoíll move into the right lane, that also has merging traffic, for the purpose of passing. Iíve had a few near misses with that one. All great points in the video though, so many self absorbed people out there.
Our AI chauffeurs can't come soon enough.

Luckily I live in a place where people are pretty good about letting others merge. It's contagious, as I find myself waving people in ahead of me all the time. Good thing too, cuz we have some hairy merges.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 12:59 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 11:52:
sauron wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 10:25:
I'd just go with animal control...

Fair point. I sometimes forget that this site is overwhelmingly composed of urbanites and suburbanites.
I think Sauron is also a vet, so that's some professional advice right there.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 05:18 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 23:19:
I got a new pet this week as well.

A MUTHER FUCKING SNAKE IN MY MUTHER FUCKING BASEMENT!

Now once I figured out what it was.. and 3 fingers of bourbon later went back down to capture and release... the fucker went MIA.

As I told mrgrosser, it's gonna start off like a Mogwai and end up like the Andaconda movie.

So I need 3 people to come help me get all my lego sets, comic books and computer/gaming related stuff out of my house, oh and 1 person with a orbital nuclear strike unit to nuke said basement from orbit.

Yes it is the only way to be sure.

Look at the bright side: you won't get Lyme or spotted fever from a snake. And the chances of it being poisonous are slim.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 29, 2018, 21:09 jdreyer

recall2000 wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 16:08:
http://www.wcvb.com/article/teen-injured-in-viral-hot-water-challenge/22578627
Seriously? Today's kids are f*cking retarded. I know he didn't do it himself; his "friend" poured boiling water on him whilew he was asleep. I mean...WTF? How they must have laughed..after his week in hospital that is. The fact that parents have to get on the internet to tell people it's a bad idea as well. Humanity is doomed if this is the standard of the next generation.

Part of me really wants to believe this is Trump's Fake News in action.

There. Sunday rant over

We were also retarded, there just wasn't an internet for things to go viral on. We planted explosives in school, shot each other with BB guns, shot bottle rockets and m-80s at each other, jumped off roofs, rode our bikes off cliffs, stole alcohol from our parents, shot cars with BB guns and snowballs, and on and on. I'm lucky to have all of my limbs and to be alive and to have avoided juvy or jail.

23318 Comments. 1166 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo