Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21474 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 20:35 jdreyer

Number one video on Videosift right now is some guy using Garageband for iOS 10 and single handedly making a cover of Video Killed the Radio Star.

Just amazing.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: How to Make Chili. Jan 28, 2018, 20:18 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:46:
If you're lucky enough to have heirloom cast iron passed down in your family and it's a Griswold, awesome. If not, a well seasoned and lovingly cared for Lodge will work just as well.

Got a good chuckle out of that.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 28, 2018, 20:10 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 16:36:
Glad to see Subnautica at #2, even though it just left EA. Glad to know there are lots of people out there who will buy an Early Access game, otherwise it would never have been developed. Even devs gotta eat.

My point was that I'm glad the devs got a big bump for actually releasing as opposed to staying in EA forever. It will incentivize other EA devs to finish their games.

Although I rarely buy a game in EA, I'm not opposed to EA on principle. It just seems to me that many EA devs can get to a point where they've made enough money and/or lost interest, and the game never gets completed.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 28, 2018, 15:48 jdreyer

opie wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 15:40:
social media has ran it's course. get outside people.

Hear, hear.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 28, 2018, 15:46 jdreyer

Glad to see Subnautica at #2, even though it just left EA. Glad to know there are a lots of people out there who won't buy until a game leaves EA.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
38. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 28, 2018, 15:34 jdreyer

Although my implication was that they were intentionally going slow, it doesn't matter. They are developing SQ 42 too slowly regardless. It's a single player linear mission starfighter game with an FPS component. They've had the voice work for 4 years. They showed a Stanton walkaround 3 years ago. They should have been able to create the assets and finish the missions already. They should have done a beta last year and released either late last year or early this year. It's ridiculous.  

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
2. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 28, 2018, 14:51 jdreyer

I have little interest in who "wins" this. It's just another distraction that delays work on this game.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 02:06 jdreyer

Why Do So Many Rock Stars Die At 27- Argentine Film Explores One (Insane) Theory.

Heh. Nice followup on our discussion the other day.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 02:04 jdreyer

opie wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 16:20:
on the parking karma vid?
that guy that blocked her in is 100% dickbag. you can tell from the edgy camo shoulder holster for his gat...over a polo shirt... all while driving a yaris. I mean I am not sure he could be more of an asshole, but he will find a way.

Sure the guy was a dick, but not for the reasons you state: NEVER HOLD YOUR FUCKING PHONE IN THE VERTICAL POSITION WHEN SHOOTING A VIDEO. There's only one time you should be holding it vertical: when filming a rocket launch.

Look, he didn't start it. That asshole Mercedes driver decided her precious car shouldn't be too close to the cart repository, so she intentionally went over the line, taking up two spaces. That red car is almost perfectly centered in its spot. It's her own damn fault. Learn to park between the lines, idiot.

News Comments > PUBG Known Issues
12. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 28, 2018, 01:25 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 00:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 23:54:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 17:33:
A friend of mine gifted me this game today.

While we too often criticize, another way games have become better... Gifting.

Huh? I could've sworn people have been buying games for other people for as long as the medium has existed, lol.

Yeah, but back then you had to go to a store and buy a physical box...

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Standard Edition Price Not Increasing
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Standard Edition Price Not Increasing Jan 28, 2018, 01:24 jdreyer

Although I hear there are people who really like it, it sounds like another giant cash-sucking device.

When we pine for the "good old days," they really were: games were whole and complete, and if they were expanded, those were substantial offerings. None of this piecemeal, nickel and dime bullshit.

9. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 27, 2018, 22:26 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 17:33:
A friend of mine gifted me this game today. Suffice to say that from about 30 rounds played, in one I had 3 kills, and the rest were slogs where I got killed in numerous ways, even when I thought I had the advantage. Its weird. I think I could like if only I knew how to play? Im not a noob when it comes to FPS games, but this is something that takes frustration to a whole new level.

Bats posted this general strategy:

My typical strategy is to land where there are just a couple or no people, loot up, then after 1st or 2nd circle only about 40 people left, and shots connect. I win a fair amount.

35. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 27, 2018, 22:08 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 20:09:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 14:30:
Given how long they've been working on SQ42, I'm wondering if they're intentionally holding it back. They are probably concerned if they release it, lots of people will lose interest in the MMO game.
Not a chance. They haven't demonstrated capable AI to date, they're adding the procedural technology (which has only just been added to 3.0 and does not yet include planets), some of the main ships haven't been completed (like the Bengal Carrier), the main renderer is still in progress (Vulkan), the flight mechanics are still being worked on, etc. The vertical slice basically avoided any gameplay mechanics other than flying and first-person combat, which was disappointed due to the poor AI.

Don't get me wrong, it's going to be a great game when it's released but we're a long way from that. The move to Item 2.0 took much longer than they expected, as did Object Container Streaming - the latter is not due to much later this year and it's essential for streaming in large ships without killing performance. There's zero chance of Squadron 42 being ready this year.

All of the things you mentioned aren't working are things that exist in the PU. SQ 42 is a separate code base since it doesn't need a lot of that stuff. Just because they haven't shown it, doesn't mean it's not done. They'd be careful to either hold things back.

Alternatively, they could develop the game more slowly than they otherwise would. And it doesn't require a huge conspiracy of people to keep quiet. It could be as simple as not staffing SQ 42 with enough people, and Robert telling Erin what to go slowly on so they don't progress too quickly. Pow.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2018, 14:39 jdreyer

If you're looking for an interesting podcast, I recommend Jon Ronson's Butterfly Effect. It's an examination of the effect that Pr0nhub had upending the pr0n industry and the resulting fallout of that. NSFW, goes without saying.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2018, 14:32 jdreyer

Huh. Interesting.  

33. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 27, 2018, 14:30 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 04:34:
spikes and disconnects.

And that is with currently ZERO actual gameplay systems installed. Complex gameplay systems like the advertised super-detailed economy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, exploration, recon, multicrewing capital ships etc. etc. etc. will put shitloads of additional stress on all of the systems involved (constant checking of parameters, mission generation on the fly when certain conditions are met, millions of AI agents blahblahblah... it's insane what they have promised).

You forgot the face mapping feature that maps your facial expressions onto your avatar in real time.

Christ Roberts know this exactly, of course. He's just stringing people along because why not? It's giving his life a purpose and a nice pay check every month.

Given how long they've been working on SQ42, I'm wondering if they're intentionally holding it back. They are probably concerned if they release it, lots of people will lose interest in the MMO game.

1. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 27, 2018, 14:23 jdreyer

At least they're being transparent?  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2018, 03:44 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 19:38:
Slick wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 22:27:
lol.

Anyone remember that extreme basketball league with trampolines built into the court? That was tits. I think the injury rate was rather high.

Slamball. I had to look it up, apparently that league is still active!

Look here!

*EDIT* Ugh fake youtube videos... that's not from 2017. Looking at the Wikipedia page, the last Slamball event was apparently in 2012.

Although:
"In 2015 Slamball resurfaced in China. After what appeared to be an extended courtship with the Chinese government, and community at large, new Slamball facilities began construction throughout China. Eventually, the new partnership with Chinese entities created 5 teams to officially expand the league to Asia. Slamball creator Mason Gordon did exhaustive leg work advancing the process. In 2015 all Gordon's hard work would pay off as Slamball started capturing the attention of the Chinese public."

You have to admire the absolutely crazy aerial acrobatics of slamball.

35. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2018, 03:38 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 13:22:
Beamer wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 09:37:
It's given corporations a nice way to try to raise morale after wages had stagnated. Wages are STILL stagnated, but when Walmart tried to change that in 2015 their stock tanked, as Wall Street was furious. This is a way to help employees angry at wage stagnation without angering Wall Street.

Sooo...give corps everything they want in the hopes that they'll 'think of the children employees'?

=-Rigs-=

Yeah, there were a few companies that gave paltry raises right after the bill passed to a few employees for the optics and good press. It won't last more than a few months. Then it will be the same as ever: all money saved will go to C-level execs, profits, and shareholders.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 27, 2018, 03:32 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 13:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 13:36:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 11:21:
Think about how much of your life you waste in traffic.
Actually, because I chose to not live in a overly large city, very little...

Actually, because I chose to live in America's largest city, none.
I walk to work. I live next to the most reliable subway lines, and don't need to take them often, as 95% of where I go is within walking distance.

Man, it's going to be a rough transition when I leave this place. Walking to work is the best thing ever.
Looking for a new job already? I hear Honolulu is quite walkable...

21474 Comments. 1074 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo