Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On October 9, 2004
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 29925 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2020, 21:49  jdreyer 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 19:54:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 17:40:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 15:14:
Toilet paper makes no sense either..

I mean they aren't going to shut off the water or electricity..

You can jump in the shower if you run out. Or use a sock and throw it in the washer.

Yeah, but then you have to tell people that you went running in the rain and mud when they asked where all the stains came from. Puke

Not if you use the correct detergent and bleach. No stains and completely sanitized.

Okay, that's waaaaay too specific.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black

2. Re: Into the Black Mar 20, 2020, 21:47  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 21:11:
whoopee
The US doesn't make the top 10 nor place in the top 15.
Ruisleipä eaters win again.

Unpossible! We're the best country! We're so full of winning!

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2020, 17:40  jdreyer 

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 15:14:
Toilet paper makes no sense either..

I mean they aren't going to shut off the water or electricity..

You can jump in the shower if you run out. Or use a sock and throw it in the washer.

Yeah, but then you have to tell people that you went running in the rain and mud when they asked where all the stains came from. Puke

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Released

21. Re: DOOM Eternal Released Mar 20, 2020, 17:15  jdreyer 

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 14:42:
Jaysen wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 13:28:
Agree with to many systems. I didn't want a God of War version of Doom. I miss the chaotic flow and weapon based stuff in 2016. To many things to remember and very limited ammo. Doom 2016 was a power fantasy. Doom Eternal is stressful! Will have to play more to see if that stress is rewarded. The story is a bit of a yawn so far to.

You gain ammo by killing with the chainsaw.
Just like real life.

News Comments > Get Deiland for Free

1. Re: Get Deiland for Free Mar 20, 2020, 17:12  jdreyer 

That actually looks pretty nice. I was expecting a 2D 8 bit indie game.  

News Comments > Get Mable & The Wood for Free

1. Re: Get Mable & The Wood for Free Mar 20, 2020, 15:29  jdreyer 

This game reminds me of my highschool days. I knew a girl named Mabel, and she gave me wood.

No seriously, her father supplied us with firewood for our wood stove. What did you think I meant?

News Comments > Get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and Tomb Raider for Free

1. Re: Get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and Tomb Raider for Free Mar 20, 2020, 15:22  jdreyer 

A few things here.

Tomb Raider is a fun game, if a bit console-y with some QTEs. Gorgeous graphics.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is 3 quarters perspective action puzzler. I haven't played this, but I own Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Both these games support local coop, so hook your PC up to the TV, and have at it with your SO or your kids. Playing Guardian of the Light with others was a lot of fun, so I'm looking forward to playing this with the kids while we shelter in place.

Also, Guardian of the Light is on sale right now for $1.49. Pick it up!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2020, 08:06  jdreyer 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 07:02:
Meanwhile, in Italy

"In a measure of how the fortunes of East and West have shifted, a Chinese Red Cross official heading an aid delegation to Milan castigated Italians for failing to take their national lockdown seriously.

Sun Shuopeng said he was shocked to see so many people walking around, using public transportation and eating out in hotels."

See any similarities ?

Also, consider that China is an unique case.

Save North Korea, the truly harsh and unrelenting measures enforcing the quarantines in their regime that gave so good results, are unapplicable in the the rest of the world.

And few countries if any have evidenced the massive social focus and prompt early measures of South Korea.

So it follows the rest of the world should fare worse.
The question is how much.

For example USA has repeatedly shown that sizeable parts of the poblation tends to not give a f**k over social consequences.

Our family has been holed up all week. I went out to do some shopping.today, and was shocked to see the park full of people playing pickle ball, basketball, etc. The basketball was especially shocking given how the pros cancelled their season and how these players were all over each other. Even with the dire warnings, Americans think they're invincible.

3. Re: Into the Black Mar 19, 2020, 23:37  jdreyer 

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:50:
Fuck did I say yesterday?

[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/health/wuhan-coronavirus-deaths.html?action=click&module=moreIn&pgtype=ArticleŽion=Footer&action=click&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=ArticleŽion=Footer&contentCollection=Healthoronavirus Death Rate in Wuhan Is Lower than Previously Thought, Study Finds[/url]

Researchers calculated a 1.4 percent likelihood of dying in the city where the pandemic began. Earlier estimates ranged from 2 percent to 3.4 percent.

And that's still going down.

Fuck did I say earlier?

Coronavirus Is Hiding in Plain Sight

For every known case of coronavirus, another five to 10 cases are out there undetected, a new study suggests.

Scientists tracking the spread of the coronavirus reported on Monday that, for every confirmed case, there are most likely another five to 10 people in the community with undetected infections. These often-milder cases are, on average, about half as infectious as confirmed ones, but are responsible for nearly 80 percent of new cases, according to the report, which was based on data from China.

Dude. No one is saying this is fucking Ebola. What we're saying is that it's highly virulent and 10x more deadly (1% mortality) than the flu. In 2018, 45M Americans had the flu. The same infection rate for COVID19 results in 450K dead and about 500K with serious, long-term effects requiring an ICU. That's nearly one million people, about the same number of hospital beds the USA has for *all illnesses.* If we let this thing roam unchecked, the healthcare system would be completely overrun. With no beds available, people would be dying of otherwise preventable injuries not related to COVID19, including the regular flu which doesn't go on vacation just because COVID19 is in town. Governments and businesses are doing the right thing by shutting this down.

On the other hand, if we let it run its course and it kills 20% of the olds and 10% of the poors, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid would be solvent again.
/s

News Comments > DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

25. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 23:26  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:07:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 21:02:
There's this:

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

It's not "essential retail." It's "surprise mechanics," when someone dies after being infected in the store.

Okay, I got a good chuckle out of that.

News Comments > Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free

6. Re: Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free Mar 19, 2020, 23:25  jdreyer 

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:59:
I wonder what price Epic ends up paying Ubisoft per copy of Watch_Dogs they give away? It can't possibly be the whole $29.99 they want you to think it's worth, that game is on sale for peanuts all the time.

Yeah, game is six years old, and sales are a trickle if anything. Probably was pretty cheap.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2020, 23:22  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 21:38:
Another covid counter
https://ncov2019.live

I prefer this one.

When RedEye says "Another one" he means in addition to the Johns Hopkins one.

I like this one, it shows how many tested in each US state.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2020, 21:59  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 21:38:
Another covid counter
https://ncov2019.live

Pretty cool, but needs a "Number Tested" column.

News Comments > Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free

2. Re: Get Watch Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free Mar 19, 2020, 21:10  jdreyer 

Already own them on Steam. Grabbed 'em anyway. Crowngrin

That crowngrin emoji is super creepy.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2020, 21:05  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 20:03:
I'm in a city that is is going to be in lock down from midnight 3/20 until midnight 4/7.

Better get any last minute shopping done. That starts in six hours for you.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

19. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 21:02  jdreyer 

There's this:

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

31. Re: Into the Black Mar 19, 2020, 19:45  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:25:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:18:
As for the flu, there are lots of strains for which we have immunity, but the flu mutates easily. H1N1 is an example for which we don't have immunity. It has a fatality rate of 60%. If it were ever to aerosolize and become highly virulent, we would see a Spanish Flu redux, which could set civilization back decade, possibly even ending civilization as we know it.
This is something I'm interested to find out if someone has done significant research into. If there was a world wide pandemic which killed of X% of the population, what would be the likely results for various values of X. Sixty is pretty high, it seems likely first world living would take a major hit, possibly completely collapse. Find it hard to believe I would be kicking back in my home alone, living of stock market earnings after that.
If you want to know what it might be like, watch The Road. They explain the apocalypse directly (as best they portray it, it's like a nuclear war, but without all the nuclear fallout), but they model what might happen. No food production, no electricity, no government, lots of guns, anarchy, etc. A widespread virulent aerosolized virus with a long incubation period and 60% mortality rate would get us close to that movie, although not quite as bleak.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2020, 18:07  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:44:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:38:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:10:
Looks to me like his state is the best tester of them all.

Being on the edge of Ohio in KY we have 1 in 5 testing positive in Ohio (again from testing, and 1 in 12 in KY.

So let me ask this (cause there is so much information out there and it's a bit overwhelming...), If everyone isolated for 2 weeks, anyone who has the virus would present with symptoms.. wouldn't that help sort out the people who do and don't have it and to a degree contain it?

Excuse my ignorance on all of this just trying to educate myself as best I can.
That's what China did and it worked. But we have sorority girls and boys that gotta hit the beachs for spring break.

Came here to say this.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2020, 18:04  jdreyer 

They only found out because someone informed. Makes you wonder how many other thefts are going on.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 19, 2020, 17:57  jdreyer 

Study ranks the privacy of major browsers. Here are the findings.

Microsoft Edge received the lowest privacy rating in a recently published study that compared the user information collected by major browsers.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that Microsoft is engaging in data mining!

Brave, FTW.

And of course Yandex is sucking up all your data. It's Russian. In Russia, the web browser searches YOU!

29925 Comments. 1497 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >