Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17510 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Colony Remake Plans
6. Re: Titanfall 2 Colony Remake Plans Jan 28, 2017, 18:28 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 15:02:
Titanfall 2 is actually a great game, makes me a little sad I missed out on the first one, even though it died a quick multiplayer death.

Hopefully they put it on sale a couple of times, and server populations get a boost, it's the most enjoyable DM type FPS I've played in awhile.

If it had MP bots, I would have bought it. They would have been able to keep selling it.

Maybe they'll make it F2P, and you'll see the server population increase.

TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2017, 16:44 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 13:58:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 02:45:
I think 'drop' is a verb, but it IS a bit out of place.

Nah, it's an adjective. A drop address is one used to receive packages or mail at a place you don't actually have residence in, for reasons of protecting your real personal information.

Ah, I see. I've never heard that term before.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 16:37 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 15:50:
I feel like you started the name calling with 'asshole' and then 'get fucked'. I did use the word obnoxious which was not cool. The way I parsed things it seemed like you were determined to railroad anyone who didn't share your opinion. To me there's a fine line between expressing yourself and letting other people have their say without trying to push your opinion on them.

So if I was too aggressive in expressing that then I sincerely apologize and I'm moving onto other stuff. We can all hug in another discussion.

It's fine to be annoyed at us. What I find funny though is that you keep coming back and reading our posts and commenting despite that.

47. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 28, 2017, 16:33 jdreyer

descender wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 12:57:

If 2 more movies come out and we still don't have explanations for Rey/Maz/etc... then I will be extremely disappointed. Until then I see no reason to hold unrevealed information against the movie.

A movie should be a self contained story. It shouldn't rely on future movies for explanation. ANH is. TFA is not.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 28, 2017, 10:32 jdreyer

Saboth wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 08:59:
I was surprised he didn't take the petition website down when he ripped down all of sites about equal rights, global warming, etc. My guess is he actually believes he is loved by everyone in the country and expected them to make flattering petitions, when only 19% of the entire country voted for him, and some of those voters don't like him, but like Hillary even less. After a few petitions like this, he'll claim it's hacked or some kind of conspiracy and take the website down. The man's deluded. Lowest approval rating of any president and will most likely end up worst president in history. Anyone that voted for this clown should be hanging their heads in shame, and it's only been his first week in office.

Heh, GWB is thankful, since Trump will make him look like FDR.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 03:39 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 10:49:
I don't think TFA is bad, I think Rey is a bad protagonist due to the shoddy writing and overuse of convenient plot elements in relation to her character. People defend this by comparing her to Luke but I don't find any merit in that, Luke's convenient plot elements develop over 3 films and so the character "journey" is more believable.

When six convenient plot points happen over three films, people tend to be forgiving of that. When six convenient plot happen in a single film, people tend to say "WTF???"

People keep saying "TFA and ANH are the same!", and it's totally untrue. In ANH, everything happens for a reason driven by dramatic character motivations. There are very few convenient coincidences. The story is much more cohesive. In TFA, the plot moves forward because it must, and characters seem secondary to that. Convenient coincidences abound to move the plot forward. Compare a few random examples:

- Luke leaves Tatooine because his home is destroyed and his uncle-father is dead, killed by the Empire.
- (Spoilers)Finn leaves the stormtroopers because he saw some nameless trooper die and got blood on him?

- Luke, Leia, and Han escape the Death Star because the Empire wants to track them to the Rebel base.
- (Spoilers) Poe and Finn escape Ren's Star Destroyer because the plot calls for it and despite Finn's cowardly tendencies

- R2 falls into Luke's hands because it's trying to get to Obi Wan, who lives near Luke (for reasons Obi Wan reveals to Luke later in the movie), and whom Leia was trying to contact.
- BB8 falls into Rey's hands by pure coincidence because the plot calls for it.

- Ben gives Luke the lightsaber, which he had because they were Jedi buddies and he kept it after Luke's father was "killed."
- Maz gives Rey the lightsaber because it "called" to her, and which Maz had for no explained reason.

- Luke is nearly destroyed by Vader in the climactic battle of ANH, and must be rescued by Han Solo. He won't be strong or well-trained enough to defeat him until the end of RotJ, years later.
- Rey defeats Kylo Ren a day after discovering her force powers.

And don't even get me started about R2 waking up in TFA...

A lot of thought went into the hero's journey of ANH to make it cohesive. I feel like much less thought went into the story for TFA, even while some things are improved over the original film (Rey's life on Jakku is much more fully realized than Luke's on Tatooine, for example). I think this is emblematic of film making since 2000 in general: story takes a back seat to FX and spectacle. And Abrams embodies this ethos: MI3, Star Trek, Into Darkness, and now TFA are all big on action and spectacle, and weak on story and character.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2017, 02:52 jdreyer

“You took so much time to joke me”—two hours trolling a Windows support scammer.

I got one of these assholes a few years back. I realized pretty quickly (2 seconds?) that it wasn't legit, and kept the Indian guy on the line for at least a couple of hours while I was playing Oblivion. I figured if he was online with me, he wasn't scamming some granny out of $100.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2017, 02:45 jdreyer

I think 'drop' is a verb, but it IS a bit out of place.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2017, 02:20 jdreyer

Shit, that sucks.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 26, 2017, 12:59 jdreyer

I dunno, that sounds about right. I'm tired of non-violent offenders being threatened with or receiving decades of punishment. After his 9 months, this guys life is basically ruined, since he'll be a felon. Good luck getting a job, an apartment, etc. Hopefully those draconian, post-punishment restrictions won't force him back into crime. So much for "rehabilitation."  

News Comments > Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM PC Plans
6. Re: Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM PC Plans Jan 26, 2017, 12:57 jdreyer

The first game wasn't ported to PC was it? This is the first one, correct?

We thought this would involve ruling over a race of monsters with shoulder-mounted rocket launchers, perhaps set inside a hollowed-out bear.

I'd play that.

News Comments > ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement
4. Re: ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement Jan 26, 2017, 12:53 jdreyer

LOL, that story sounds SOOO Japanese.

I was pretty underwhelmed with Ace Combat Assault Horizon. It was way too arcady. I was hoping for something more simmish, while not being an actual sim.

"That's on another continent!" So missions will be 36 hour in-flight refueling affairs? Or was that a design decision so that dogfights would happen over an easy-to-render, easy-to-store in RAM ocean instead of land?

News Comments > DiRT 4 Announced
3. Re: DiRT 4 Announced Jan 26, 2017, 12:40 jdreyer

I really enjoyed Dirt 2 & 3, so I'm looking forward to this. Granted, I probably won't pick it up until it drops to $10 (as the Dirt series typically does within a year), but still this is good news.  

News Comments > DiRT 4 Announced
2. Re: DiRT 4 Announced Jan 26, 2017, 12:39 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 12:22:
No native HTC vive support? No sale.

Fuckers already did oculus like 8 months ago, and recently added PSVR.

I'm normally not irrationally mad at game studios, even when there's reasons... But this is my top mad of 2016. Paid $1350 for the vive, $3000 for the PC. $550 for the force feedback wheel. And still there's no definitive rally driving game. Well.... There IS. But I can't play it. Cause reasons. Fuuuuuuuck!

Uh, Project Cara has native Vive support. Is that not definitive enough?

23. Re: etc., etc. Jan 26, 2017, 01:09 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 13:11:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 02:33:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 00:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 17:02:
But like Lego, Jedi is also singular and plural.

I know. A Co-worker and I talked about it. We thought it was a nice play having many meanings. Obviously, it means Skywalker, but also Rey. We thought it could ultimately mean the rebirth of a new Jedi order after having been without one for several decades. That would be cool.

TFA was such an annoying film on many levels. However, I have hope for Last Jedi because Rian Johnson. The man is a very talented filmmaker creating both compelling characters and solid narratives. The catch is Rian wrote the screenplay for every film he's directed, thus committing to paper stories and scenes he has conjured in his mind's eye. Luckily that's also the case here, as Johnson is also the screenwriter (good call Disney).

To get a feeling for what kind of movie Ep 8 might be go watch one of his other movies (Looper, Brothers Bloom, or Brick).

Lastly, I hope that Disney doesn't micromanage Johnson too much. Just let him do his thing.

What were your problems with TFA? I personally thought most of the issues stemmed with Rey. They were trying to shoestring too much fan service so they put an entire trilogy of arc and character development into one film. The result is a near Mary Sue character who becomes instantly proficient at everything and is totally boring as a result. There were other things with the movie that bothered me but Rey was by the most glaring.

I had an ok time with it but I sort of laugh when people rank it near The Empire Strikes Back, I guess our bar for quality has fallen pretty low after the prequels.

I agree that Rey is basically perfect because the plot requires it. And that's one of the huge problems with the movie. You have several instances where the plot must move forward so either characters make decisions or perform feats that strain credulity, or some incredible coincidence occurs to let the plot move forward (spoilers):
- Finn decides he doesn't want to be a trooper. He's cowardly and wants to run away. So he decides to escape in the bravest, most dangerous way possible, by rescuing Poe and escaping in a TIE? It's an exciting scene, but makes no sense from a character perspective. He does it because the plot requires it. Certainly stowing away on a supply shuttle would have been safer and more in-character for him.
- Han just wanders upon the Falcon, ten seconds after it blasts off, a one in a trillion chance, because the plot requires it.
- Maz just happens to have Luke's lightsaber, because the plot requires it.
- R2 just happens to wake up and have the rest of the map, because the plot requires it.

I could cite a few more, but you get the idea. Script writing is hard, and it takes time to get right. TFA feels rushed and sloppy.

And then there are the stupid fanfic-y things that make me think some of the script was written by a group of 12 year old boys at a sleepover (more spoilers):

"Wouldn't it be cool of Poe's X-Wing had a popdown auto-cannon like the Falcon?" No. That's like taking the door gun from a Blackhawk helo and putting it in an F-15. It makes no sense.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Starkiller base was like the Death Star, only bigger?" No. We've seen the planet-destroyer plot like twice already. We didn't need it a third time.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Finn had to protect Rey from Kylo using Luke's lightsaber?" No. Even injured, a trained dark knight should have been able to dispatch an untrained, no-force human in one or two strokes, or even just force pulled the lightsaber from his hand or choked him out. Stupid.

"Wouldn't it be awesome if Rey kicked Kylo's ass?" No, because Rey (who has never killed) is an untrained neophyte who the well-trained murderer Kylo would have been able to kill easily, even injured.

I thought Kylo was one of the best things about the movie. They might have done his reveal a bit differently, but that's not something I really had an issue with.

TL;DR - Plot, characters, and settings were all recycled for TFA, and it made for a boring film with an illogical story.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 00:36 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 18:44:
BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 17:18:
I've been playing this game a lot lately. It's on sale right now.

Cool! Although, the font kind of sucks because it reads like "Nerd Chrome."

Meh, I suck at twin stick shooters and never enjoyed them.

27. Re: The brain uses REM sleep to cut unneeded connections Jan 26, 2017, 00:33 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 13:56:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 13:39:
BobBob wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 12:15:
The new memories in this case were formed in mice, which were trained to complete a treadmill-like motor task. Then, the mice were either deprived of REM sleep or allowed to experience this form of sleep. The mice that were allowed REM showed significantly higher pruning of new dendritic spines compared to the mice that were REM sleep deprived.

It's a pity they must torture helpless animals to make these discoveries. Perhaps someday in the future, computer simulations will become so advanced, animal testing will not only be unnecessary but even considered deplorable and archaic.

Computer modeling and simulation has obviated the need for a lot of animal testing, so there's much less than their used to be. I used to drive by a large pharmaceutical company on my way to school in the 80s and every Tuesday they would incinerate all the animals they'd killed. Man that shit reeked.

Seeing animals in pain brings tears to my eyes. It's one of the few things that causes me to be overtly emotional. It's a weakness, I know.

Soooo, you're vegan?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2017, 00:29 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 12:50:
Yeah, I'm sure no there will be no shortage of corps firing the shit of out people only to be hiring new people at minimum wage with no benefits simply so they can PR it up with 'Look! We're hiring domestically!'

I'm sure all those $100K tech workers will be replaced by $50K H1-B workers from India. It's just good business sense, amirite?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
19. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 26, 2017, 00:24 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 16:57:
Seems to me that the problem is/was that he pitched LT without prototyping the most critical part of the game: Getting the raw simulation to run with all these tasks for the AI and all these entities in the game to go about their business without a horrible performance hit.

I think that's why most of you are missing the point, and why having truly complex open world games is not trivial to accomplish. More coders won't necessarily fix what is a scope problem. He is pitching a limitlessly expanding universe when, in all likelihood, that is not possible to achieve with the kind of detailed simulation he wants to take place.

I'm not so sure this is all that different from Star Citizen, except that they are "limiting" themselves to only 100 systems. Oh and Chris Roberts is a complete asshole...

Doesn't ED simulate an economy and have lots of AI cruising around? I imagine that LT is closer to ED than SC.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
18. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 26, 2017, 00:21 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 13:42:
"The fact that development is not fun, pretty, or exciting (at least to most) is part of the very reason for which I haven't been excited to talk about it, and have even avoided doing so. For years I had beautiful things to throw up in the air and say "LOOK WOT I DID!" and receive praise for making things shiny. Man I miss those days so, so much...but the problems I'm dealing with currently are far more pressing to LT being released than more visual candy. I simply have to push through the problems I'm about to explain if you want LT to be finished. And I have every intention of LT being finished. There will be more pretties, more videos, etc., but let me be very clear: that won't happen before I get past the current roadblock."

What an unprofessional piece of screed. If I were a backer, I would tell Josh, "I don't care about your trials and tribulations, or the difficulties related to, as you call it, 'code code code C++ Python code Lua code JIT beep boop mainframe.' I gave you money for a game whose delivery continues to delay. Stop coming up with excuses and finish the project." I'm glad I ceased to support crowdfunded games. Very rarely have I seen it work. Virtually all the stuff I've backed in 2012 and 2013 still have not been delivered. I think one project is vaporware.

I'll give the guy credit for continuing to try. He's got everyone's money, mostly spent at this point, so what else can folks do?

17510 Comments. 876 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo