Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 20755 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 18:20 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:29:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:23:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:00:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

Working and writing two novels. Been fairly busy. Plus, we remodeled a kitchen and portions of our home. Finally, life has calmed down.

How are you?

Good! Writing novels is hard. I've been reading a lot of novels lately, and I'm surprised at how so many seemingly well-written novels just fail to grab me. Keep at it. Give yourself time. Re-read your writing a week after writing a chapter and see if it can improve. Good luck!

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 15:54 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 14:55:
Somebody thank this kid in person for being one of the assholes that ruined gaming.

Someone thank this kid for being a hero and sharing his very embarrassing story. Nice victim blaming there Cres.

The dopamine hits in gaming shouldn't require you to pay for each one.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
70. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 30, 2017, 15:37 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 04:08:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:36:
CJ, so your grand contribution to the discourse is literally:

"All post-launch content is cancer"

Wow. Ace contributor.

It is cancer. UT3 shipped with 8 modes, a couple dozen maps, no progression system, no season pass, no DLC, and no MTs. A year later, Epic released 15 more maps free.

That's how it's done.

You make no sense.

You just said they released 15 maps a year later.

But you double-down that "all post-launch content is cancer"

Make up your mind!

Words have meanings you know.

The difference being that the maps were free. Free post launch DLC is fine: everyone can access it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 15:23 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:00:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 14:28 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 14:19:
Verno wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 12:51:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 12:29:
Marvel vs DC. Football teams for kids. The comment section on the new Infinity Wars trailers is literally "Marvel > DC" all day long.

It's really just Marvel vs Marvel at this point, film efforts for DCEU are a total mess right now. The only sure thing they've got left is a Wonder Woman sequel. I think gritty is fine for DCEU but Snyder lacks the subtlety required to make something interesting out of it.

I believe the bottom line is DC can't recreate Marvel's special sauce because they're not willing to let it happen organically on different layers.

Layer 1: Marvel spent a ton of time creating and building character development to the point where you care about these guys and gals. Even if they get a few minutes of screen time in Infinity Wars they won't be "random" superhero #23. People will know most of the characters and their backstories. The trailer alone is a great example of this.

Layer 2: All the MCU films since Norton's HULK have had the over-arching story about the infinity stones which ultimately leads to Thanos and the Infinity Wars.

Time Warner is trying to rush both of these things with their properties. They are also doing things out of order. It's just creates an artificial mess. This is why the DCU is failing.
DCU films could use a bit more levity.

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
12. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 30, 2017, 00:11 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 21:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 21:09:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 20:51:
What fools.

Whether it's Witcher Star Wars, Mass Effect Star Wars, Dead Space Star Wars... we don't give a fuck. People just want a AAA single-player Star Wars (C)RPG. Come the fuck on.

Err... the Visceral game was gonna be Uncharted Star Wars or Tomb Raider Star Wars (but even shallower probably) and not a (C)RPG.

Oh I might be confusing this with the SW bounty hunter game that was talked about years ago.

Yeah, that's another Star Wars game that never saw the light of day: Star Wars 1313.

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
6. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 29, 2017, 21:19 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 21:09:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 20:51:
What fools.

Whether it's Witcher Star Wars, Mass Effect Star Wars, Dead Space Star Wars... we don't give a fuck. People just want a AAA single-player Star Wars (C)RPG. Come the fuck on.

Err... the Visceral game was gonna be Uncharted Star Wars or Tomb Raider Star Wars (but even shallower probably) and not a (C)RPG.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Nov 29, 2017, 21:15 jdreyer

Oof, that is young. Poor woman. Skin, or breast?  

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Nov 29, 2017, 21:08 jdreyer

MapleStory is still a thing?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
48. Re: feature creep Nov 29, 2017, 16:40 jdreyer

Doombringer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 16:17:
Star Citizen is the epitome of "feature creep" by now. They can't apparently release a game with a set of key features and a certain area to play in, and expand from there... they just keep expanding without releasing anything. And people are giving them money for this. This time around it's "here's a gigantic colony ship" ... what's the next one to add in, a Dyson Sphere you can pilot about?

They should have come up with a great ship-to-ship sim game, with a handful of good features and decent graphics. Get it solid, stable, playable, and fun. Release. Then begin bolting on features in expansions or a sequel, or even a threequel. And so on. You essentially have a space sim MMO here... so build it like one.

Chris is really trying to release World of Warcraft TODAY without any of the 12+ years of releases and development that came before today's product.

And he's selling virtual ships and now parcels of digital land...

In fairness to Chris, he's taking 12 years to do it.

47. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Nov 29, 2017, 16:37 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:27:
I wonder if ship sales are slowing down now. This is a weird thing to sell, at an awful high price point.

April 2017: $ 2,600,000
May 2017: $ 2,700,000
June 2017: $ 2,300,000
July 2017: $ 2,375,000
August 2017: $ 2,700,000
September 2017: $ 1,700,000
October 2017: $ 3,250,000

and I'm sure November will be much higher than those.

So i guess the answer to your question is "no"

I'm genuinely curious: has anyone on this board purchased anything from RSI in the past year? Fingers, you went to CitCon. Beyond that, have you bought anything recently? Those numbers are so fascinating.

45. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 16:25 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 13:36:
Retired wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 13:21:
You put money into this game, you are a fool.

dont go bundling all of us in that context. I originally backed this game when it was in kickstarter. Back then it was something that looked like it was going to be a real Freelancer successor.

little did any of us original backers know how this would snowball out of control into the feature creep monster greed fest thats its become.

Thats not our fault that Roberts greed would turn this game into the bullshit its becoming now. Yes, I could have gotten my money back, but I'm only 60 dollars invested.

So I figured WTF, stick with it and see where this ends. Im pretty sure I'm not going to like what I find. But thats on me at this point.
Same here: I spent $35 five years ago. That's it. Little did I know I'd be paying for the privilege of being able to watch game videos and discuss them online but never actually be able to play a finished game.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2017, 16:17 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:40:
Anyone heard from BobBob, it's been a month.
https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=userinfo&user=55121

Maybe Blue can DM him?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
68. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 15:37 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:36:
CJ, so your grand contribution to the discourse is literally:

"All post-launch content is cancer"

Wow. Ace contributor.

It is cancer. UT3 shipped with 8 modes, a couple dozen maps, no progression system, no season pass, no DLC, and no MTs. A year later, Epic released 15 more maps free.

That's how it's done.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2017, 13:18 jdreyer

Study: Opening Windows and Doors Improves Sleep Quality.

Meh, I have so many gaps in my window and door frames that it probably doesn't matter either way.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2017, 13:16 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:00:
I remember my dad coming home one day, 1975 or 76 or so, and had a little box with two paddle controllers in his hand that he'd bought that day. It was the Pong console. We played the hell out of it for awhile.

That started my life-long addiction to computer games. Thanks dad!

Ditto, but it was my grandpa!

14. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:04 jdreyer

Why is Erin Roberts involved with this? He's not involved with the online game, he's making Squadron 42. Maybe they've just canceled the single player game and haven't told people yet? Like how EA canceled Visceral's single player Star Wars game.  

13. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:01 jdreyer

Shorter Chris Roberts:

"We haven't put any effort into populating our system with bases. So we'll get players to do that for us. And we'll charge them for the privilege."

12. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 11:59 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:57:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Chris Roberts saw the shit that Richard Garriott is pulling off, and thought "Holy hell. This way I don't even have to have artists draw pictures of pretty spaceships! I can literally sell just NOTHING!"

Hey, now. He's not selling "nothing." He's selling chunks of procedurally generated planet, and a ship to land it on.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
14. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 11:45 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:
"We pulled-off on the MTX because the real issue the consumer had was they felt it was a pay-to-win mechanic," he added. "The reality is: there's different types of players in games. Some people have more money than time, and some people have more time than money, and you want to always balance those two.

Hahaha what the fuck? No you don't have to balance them. In a game that is primarily a MP experience the asshole who just wants to destroy balance through purchases should NOT be allowed to do that. Fuck that shit. You want to "balance" them by giving that idiot some cosmetics to throw his money at so that he feels better about himself while not pissing off everyone else who bought the game.

Or they could, you know, not have a fucking progression system at all. Then everyone has access to all weapons and abilities regardless of time played. The only reason to have a progression system at all is to entice the player to spend more money.

It's a gameplay mechanic designed to extract cash.

20755 Comments. 1038 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo