Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 19205 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
7. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 15:11 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:06:
When I am being honest I can't tell a damn difference to Borderlands 2 or 1.... it looks brown.. yay. And yeh, I also think it looks butt-ugly, UE4 has a weird look to it that I really start to dislike.

While there was a qualitative difference in the BL2 graphics, I'll grant that the palette is dominated by desert browns and other muted colors.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
3. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 10:57 jdreyer

Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:45:
Yeah weird that this comes up again...

But anyway, I love Borderlands, and I agree. After I played Destiny, with its much, much better gunplay/feel, it was VERY hard to go back to something as arcadey as Borderlands. And the endgame very poorly done (scaling resulting in being one-twoshot... in a non-realism game where everybody has guns).
Never played Destiny, but you're saying Destiny's controller gunplay is superior to Borderlands mouse and keyboard?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 03:56 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 18:17:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 18:00:
Just a few points about the second amendment.

1) There's no way a bunch of guys with rifles and pickup trucks can stand up to the might of the US military and win. Force multiplication via modern technology is orders of magnitude greater than when it was written. Just look at how that worked out for ISIS, for example.

2) The raison d'etre of the second amendment was to maintain militias in southern states for the purpose of quelling slave rebellions. It was not intended to provide spontaneous "Wolverine!" style partisans in the event of a federal government takeover.

i have good reason to doubt that most 2nd amendment nuts have even read it. a friend who was a trained lawyer from a prestigious law school was silenced (for a moment) when i paraphrased the text for him that the law was tied to the support and maintenance of a militia, not unrestricted gun ownership like most of them believe.

That's the strangest part for me. How did the "Well-regulated militia" requirement get dropped from the interpretation of the 2nd amendment to mean "total freedom to do whatever you want with guns?"

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
27. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 6, 2017, 03:32 jdreyer

gsilver wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 23:17:
I looked at the reviews, and IMO, only one of the negative reviews thus far has any weight behind it (the 8 hour one). The others were 1.5 hours or less knee-jerk responses.

I'm kinda-sorta interested in the game, but I'll wait until stuff like actual professional reviews are out.

I think it's fine to not buy a game based on the dev's politics. Reviews of the game, however, should be based on the actual game, irrespective of the dev's politics.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 03:31 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 01:12:
I got myself banned by ol' Cleve about two weeks ago from the STEAM forums for 'being an 'unstable element''.

You went full Cutter. Never go full Cutter.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2017, 18:00 jdreyer

Just a few points about the second amendment.

1) There's no way a bunch of guys with rifles and pickup trucks can stand up to the might of the US military and win. Force multiplication via modern technology is orders of magnitude greater than when it was written. Just look at how that worked out for ISIS, for example.

2) The raison d'etre of the second amendment was to maintain militias in southern states for the purpose of quelling slave rebellions. It was not intended to provide spontaneous "Wolverine!" style partisans in the event of a federal government takeover.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 5, 2017, 17:40 jdreyer

Battlegrounds Skirt Going For Nearly $500 On The Steam Marketplace…

Yeah, PUBG devs are swimming in money what with millions of copies of that game sold. Seems ridiculous to start rolling out microtransactions when the game's not done yet.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 5, 2017, 17:38 jdreyer

A Whole New Way to Hack Self-Driving Cars.
The researchers put stickers on road signs and managed to convince the car’s image-detecting algorithms that they were seeing, say, a speed limit sign instead of a stop sign.

Good times. Hopefully the other systems on autonomous cars will be able to overcome such foolery.

On the other hand, you can "hack" human drivers in a similar way by cutting down all the stop signs at a four way intersection.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Boasts 20M Players
10. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Boasts 20M Players Aug 5, 2017, 17:32 jdreyer

shinchan0s wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 16:54:
I miss Rogue Spear. Even with the shit netcode.

Some of my funnest gaming memories are lone-wolfing Raven Shield. I esp loved the alpine village and oil refinery levels.

News Comments > Geordi La Forge Joining Star Trek Online
14. Re: Geordi La Forge Joining Star Trek Online Aug 5, 2017, 15:32 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 06:01:
We’ll also have server-wide giveaways of the TNG Skant Uniform
They put the skant in the game?! Why?! Wall

What's wrong with the scant uniform?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2017, 14:35 jdreyer

Huff, puff, pass? AG's pot fury not echoed by task force.

Hmm, a mild drug (marijuana) is ranked as Schedule 1, among the most damaging and addictive of all drugs. How did that happen?

The initial placement of marijuana in Schedule I, the government’s most restrictive category of drugs, can easily be considered a mistake — though perhaps “mistake” is too meek of a term, particularly in the face of alcohol and tobacco being left off the schedules. In fact, marijuana’s strict scheduling emerges from the cultural and racial apathy felt by Richard Nixon, the activist president who signed the Controlled Substances Act into law. Nixon’s aides suggested the war on marijuana was racially motivated, and Oval Office tapes highlight his contempt for the counterculture movement as well as racial minorities.

The tapes also make it clear that Nixon wanted to link marijuana use and its negative effects to two groups who he held in contempt: African Americans and hippies.

Thanks, Dick.

I guess that also explains why our AG, an unrepentant racist, wants to crack down on it again, even though marijuana spread to white people more than 50 years ago. Ancient white guy with ancient info strikes again.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2017, 14:19 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 11:06:
crash between train and limousine
that will buff out

I hate to say it, but the way the limo was perfectly centered on the track almost makes it seem intentional. I mean, what are the odds? A foot in either direction and the limo gets shunted to one side or the other, not pushed a quarter mile down the track.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Boasts 20M Players
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Boasts 20M Players Aug 5, 2017, 14:08 jdreyer

That's 20M paid copies. That's pretty good. When this game came out a couple of years ago, I'd never have expected that many sales. So basically, this is the new CS:GO?  

10. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 5, 2017, 13:53 jdreyer

Gotta admit though, the game is super deep. In the mid 90s I might have been all over something like this. Definitely not today though.  

9. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2017, 13:48 jdreyer

Dave_Genesi wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 12:26:
The way I look at game value is by how much time I can get out of it. If I get $1 per hour of play time in a game, I am very happy with my purchase. $36 seems low for a game that claims 600+ hours of game play. Well above my $1 per hour goal. I am 100% sure I will not get 600 hours in the game, but I am sure I can get more than 36 out of it. Character creation alone will take at least an hour of that

Graphics do not make a game for me. It could have the worst graphics seen since Zork, but if the game play is good, I am fine with pixel graphics.

The Elder Scrolls games also have hundreds of hours of gameplay, but I typically find I do about 40-50 hours for a run through. Then I'll put it down and come back to it a couple of years later maybe for another 40-50 hours. Just because they build 600 hours into the game, doesn't mean it's an interesting 600 hours.

As for graphics <> gameplay, I'll agree with that. I have hundreds of hours in FTL, Rimworld, Minecraft, and Rogue Legacy, for example.

8. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 5, 2017, 13:45 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 12:25:
20 years and 40 dollars for that? Yeah the guy obviously is a loony.

Hey, that prepper bunker ain't gonna build itself.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 5, 2017, 05:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 17:07:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 17:06:
A shame this game didn't come with a configurable bot mode.
Exactly, good games sell better.

Also, longevity. I still boot up the original Unreal Tournament every now and again for a game of Facing Worlds or Hall of Giants. Servers are empty, but I can configure bots and it's fun for me.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 5, 2017, 05:51 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 16:23:
I have no problem with calling it a sport. You have to train for it and it's competitive...good enough for me I guess.

That said, the name comes across as trying a bit too hard. I get that "games" is more immature sounding (in english) than "sports" but I can't imagine it makes much difference in terms of the target market.

I remember a story about one of the top American Starcraft players. He ran 4 miles a day, and did other kinds of reaction training to keep his stamina and reflexes honed.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2017, 00:59 jdreyer

Ajit Pai’s anti-net neutrality plan gets the facts and law wrong, lawmakers say

That's a feature, not a bug.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 5, 2017, 00:57 jdreyer

If it's taking 13 years to figure out, you're doing it rong.  

19205 Comments. 961 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo