Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 19201 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2017, 05:22 jdreyer

Fletch wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 02:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:15:
Good luck leading a revolution against a police state.... (Turkey comes to mind) you'd be a terrorist, and not a revolutionary.
They've got to find some way to justify buying all that Maxpedition gear and .22lr ammo. An entire industry was created off of their paranoia, which now feeds it to keep them buying shit. No... running their fat asses through the jungle on weekends and shooting cans just isn't gonna cut it. The unhinged, lunatic fringe want to shoot something besides empty PBRs. Unfortunately, I doubt their revolution will last much past the first drone strike, and a real opportunity to remove some Stoopid from the gene pool will be gone.

Here's essentially what would happen (Warning: graphic. AC-130 Hercules gunship wrecks some Taliban and their pickups)

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
28. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 05:07 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 04:47:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:17:
@Rilcon: I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies.

The problem we're complaining about here is that now full price games are adopting the monetization techniques of free to play. We hate it when a game diverges from its primary purpose of providing entertainment to become a cash sucking machine. If done unobtrusively like BL2, you hardly notice. But if intrudes into the core gameplay, then it's a huge problem for a game that people paid full price for.

There's a big difference between adding microtransactions and adopting a mobile monetization scheme. F2P mobile games are gated so that you are forced to spend money if you want to progress or compete with other players. That's how games like Candy Crush or Clash of Clans make so much money. I seriously doubt that will be the case in Shadow of War. It's a mainstream AAA game so it's going to be easy by default and you will definitely be able to complete all of its content without grinding or paying for microtransactions.
One would hope. I guess we'll see. For-pay gaming has been adopting free-to-play mechanisms wholesale the past couple of years. As I said, BL2 did it right. It was completely unnecessary. But that's not guaranteed. I paid full price for Grid 2, yet all the coolest cars were there from day one for sale as microtransaction DLC. I couldn't even grind to unlock them.

Make no mistake, the primary purpose of professional game development isn't to provide entertainment. Like any other business, the goal is to make as much money as possible.
It's funny, when devs focus exclusively on providing entertainment value instead of creating a money generating mechanism, they not only do just fine, but make boatloads of cash to boot. Witness: FTL, Rogue Legacy, Rimworld, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Plants v Zombies, Terraria, Bastion, Darkest Dungeon, Papers Please, Broforce, Hyperlight Drifter, Hotline Miami, Trine, etc. etc.

The trick is doing so in a way that doesn't make customers feel like they're being exploited. Ideally, that means making a quality game that people enjoy and are therefore willing to pay for.
Which is very difficult to pull off. Gamers can tell when there's Borax cut in with their cocaine. That's why EA won "worst company in the world" two years running.

However, it's possible to do that AND have completely optional microtransactions that don't have any significant impact on the overall experience. Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and DX:MD have all shown that this can be done.
As I said before: BL2

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
18. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 04:51 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:08:
I'd love to see what Flying Wild Hog could do with it.
Yeah, that's a good call.
And re-releasing Bulletstorm for $50? Really? Who thought that was a reasonable price?
They probably saw Chris Roberts selling $1000 virtual spaceships and figured $50 was a bargain by compare.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2017, 02:56 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 22:38:
0 pot related accidents?
Just here in Dayton KY, a guy from Cincy came over to my town selling a few lbs of pot, was killed and found 5 days later in his car.
Uni. of Cincy officer pulled over a guy because he didn't have a front plate on his car (had pot in the car), guy drives off and was shot in the head and killed.
Pike County Ohio, 8 family members at 3 locations were killed execution style. What did they have in common? Running a huge pot farm.
Not to mention all the human trash that smokes the shit out of it, gets high, fucks like bunnies and pops out kids every 9 months, that people like myself have to pay taxes so they can get food stamps and benefits. Or recent studies that pot smokes pre mid to late 20's effects brain development?

None you mentioned were caused by OD. As for my accidents stats, I was not clear: I was referring auto-related accidents. All of the deaths you bring up here are due to pot's illegality, not its effects. Were it legal, ostensibly none of those deaths would have happened. My main point was the effects of pot are quite mild compared to other drugs.

As for pot usage resulting in greater pregnancy rates, I'd not heard that. Got a link for that?

And, yes, neurological issues with pot usage are currently under investigation. It's not harmless. But it's much less harmless than most other kinds of legal and illegal substances, was my point. Here's a list of causes of death annually in the USA. Note at the bottom: "Cannabis (marijuana) . . . 0"

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2017, 02:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 23:09:
I don't know if pot is better or worse than alcohol but it sure isn't harmless. I suspect if pot was as legal and available as alcohol we might find out in a few years or maybe decades which was worse... I wouldn't care to make a bet on it.

I'm sure it's not harmless either, but there are so many worse things out there. I'd regulate soda and potato chips before I'd regulate pot, never mind heroin, cocaine, meth, opiods, etc. etc. It was just a strange topic to rant about, IMO. It's like railing that common colds are the scourge of humanity, while bypassing cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, influenza, etc.

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 02:29 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 19:45:
I honestly don't give a fuck about these types of microtransactions. In fact, bring it on. If you can milk the idiots dumb enough to buy them instead of milking me, go for it. People flipped a lid about the shit you could buy in Mankind Divided, but lo and behold the game threw that shit at you for free and didn't pressure you at all.

And if they turn a 30 hour game into 100 hour grindfest if you don't buy said microtransactions, are you going to just grind it out?

11. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 19:06 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:00:
Randy Pitchford: "So let me get this straight, Battleborn was a bomb?"

Gearbox:"'Fraid so Randy"

Randy Pitchford: "And Bulletstorm: Full clip barely sold?"

Randy Pitchford: "And Duke Nukem 20th anniversary world tour bombed too?"

Randy Pitchford: "Soooooooooo THAT MEANS...*thinking*....another Borderlands game?

So LOL.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 6, 2017, 19:04 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:34:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 17:54:
Grr. Corsair has had my memory for a month, and still hasn't sent me new ones. I even got them on chat last week and they said they would get it out.

Corsair's customer support is a fucking joke and absolutely terrible. After the total fiasco I had with them and a bad power supply, I haven't given them a further cent. It's not worth the headache.

Apparently a few years ago they were great with one week turnarounds and such. Was reading on their forums. I heard Corsair was acquired by someone and it went to shit after that.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 18:53 jdreyer

fishingtime wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 12:00:
pot dealers need to be put in prison for life. the drugs taking over this society have done enough harm for more than a lifetime

Deaths from alcohol OD: 100,000s
Deaths from prescription drug OD: 10,000s
Deaths from pot OD: 0
Deaths from alcohol related accidents: 100,000s
Deaths from prescription drug related accidents: 1000s
Deaths from pot related accidents: 0

I'd say pot dealers are way way down the totem pole of things that need addressing, even within the realm of drugs.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 18:28 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:30:
Rolling Shutter Effect up close and personal with that Croatian Pilatus.

That bear video, glad I was not there.

Why do you hate bears? Are you bearist?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 18:27 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:25:
I'm as geeked about the giant robot fight as anyone, but I still don't see how you make weapons that are powerful enough to fatally damage the other robot, and somehow keep your pilots safe?

Once Grant Imahara got involved, I figured they'd remote pilot it, but apparently not.

Two 12 ton robots with human pilots battling to destruction. What could go wrong? I love how the article says the pilots have to "figure out how to not die."

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 18:17 jdreyer

@Rilcon: I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies.

The problem we're complaining about here is that now full price games are adopting the monetization techniques of free to play. We hate it when a game diverges from its primary purpose of providing entertainment to become a cash sucking machine. If done unobtrusively like BL2, you hardly notice. But if intrudes into the core gameplay, then it's a huge problem for a game that people paid full price for.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 18:00 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:22:
Venezuela like Somalia, is only a nation in name.

At one point Venezuela several years ago had the fourth highest per capital income in the world.

Now it's a shit show. I feel bad for those people.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 17:58 jdreyer

MacLeod wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 09:37:
And loot boxes in a single player game...

Go fuck yourselves.

Meh, Borderlands has had them for years. Didn't affect the game at all.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 6, 2017, 17:54 jdreyer

Grr. Corsair has had my memory for a month, and still hasn't sent me new ones. I even got them on chat last week and they said they would get it out.

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 6, 2017, 15:20 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 13:00:
Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 12:21:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:57:
Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:45:
Yeah weird that this comes up again...

But anyway, I love Borderlands, and I agree. After I played Destiny, with its much, much better gunplay/feel, it was VERY hard to go back to something as arcadey as Borderlands. And the endgame very poorly done (scaling resulting in being one-twoshot... in a non-realism game where everybody has guns).
Never played Destiny, but you're saying Destiny's controller gunplay is superior to Borderlands mouse and keyboard?

In terms of accuracy, fair point, but I meant the way the guns handle. In Destiny, they feel like legit guns. Recoil, impact, scopes, etc. It feels more grounded that Borderlands' "this shotgun fires 8,000 rocket pellets and can't hit the broad side of a barn". I realize Borderlands is supposed to be crazy like that, but Destiny's handling of loot and randomization was a tad more subtle, and the guns felt much more pleasant to use.

I guess if Borderlands was to keep its own kooky randomized gun-loot system, it's gonna have to take some liberties there, however. I'm just hoping they look at Destiny's handling of things and take some notes.

My main issue with Borderlands was the mountain of junk weapons that drop. I think they need to tighten that up somehow so that we get fewer, but better, drops. Yeah, they're still mostly not going to be good enough to replace whatever you're already using, but at least there would be much less junk to deal with.

Also, the endgame bosses seemed to be tuned to players having the god-tier weapons, which take forever to grind for. Seems like there should be some difficulty settings to adjust for things like that. If I don't want to spend 100 hours grinding for the best guns, then I shouldn't have to face a boss designed for those guns.

Yeah, I like the crazy randomness of BL's guns. You never knew what you'd get, or if there'd be a superweapon in any given drop. In fact, one of my complaints of BL2 vs. BL1 is that they tightened up the randomness of the weapons so that each subtype felt very samey (even while I loved the addition of elemental weapons). No longer did I have the chance of finding a machine pistol with a 1200 RPM cyclic rate (a gun I found in BL1).

I'll agree that fewer higher quality weapons would be good.

As for endgame bosses, I had the opposite problem. I had to actively NOT do sidequests to avoid becoming overpowered.

Lastly, I hope they keep up the quality of the writing and voice acting. Handsome Jack and Tiny Tina are among my favorite game characters.

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 15:11 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:06:
When I am being honest I can't tell a damn difference to Borderlands 2 or 1.... it looks brown.. yay. And yeh, I also think it looks butt-ugly, UE4 has a weird look to it that I really start to dislike.

While there was a qualitative difference in the BL2 graphics, I'll grant that the palette is dominated by desert browns and other muted colors.

3. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 10:57 jdreyer

Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:45:
Yeah weird that this comes up again...

But anyway, I love Borderlands, and I agree. After I played Destiny, with its much, much better gunplay/feel, it was VERY hard to go back to something as arcadey as Borderlands. And the endgame very poorly done (scaling resulting in being one-twoshot... in a non-realism game where everybody has guns).
Never played Destiny, but you're saying Destiny's controller gunplay is superior to Borderlands mouse and keyboard?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 03:56 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 18:17:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 18:00:
Just a few points about the second amendment.

1) There's no way a bunch of guys with rifles and pickup trucks can stand up to the might of the US military and win. Force multiplication via modern technology is orders of magnitude greater than when it was written. Just look at how that worked out for ISIS, for example.

2) The raison d'etre of the second amendment was to maintain militias in southern states for the purpose of quelling slave rebellions. It was not intended to provide spontaneous "Wolverine!" style partisans in the event of a federal government takeover.

i have good reason to doubt that most 2nd amendment nuts have even read it. a friend who was a trained lawyer from a prestigious law school was silenced (for a moment) when i paraphrased the text for him that the law was tied to the support and maintenance of a militia, not unrestricted gun ownership like most of them believe.

That's the strangest part for me. How did the "Well-regulated militia" requirement get dropped from the interpretation of the 2nd amendment to mean "total freedom to do whatever you want with guns?"

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
27. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 6, 2017, 03:32 jdreyer

gsilver wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 23:17:
I looked at the reviews, and IMO, only one of the negative reviews thus far has any weight behind it (the 8 hour one). The others were 1.5 hours or less knee-jerk responses.

I'm kinda-sorta interested in the game, but I'll wait until stuff like actual professional reviews are out.

I think it's fine to not buy a game based on the dev's politics. Reviews of the game, however, should be based on the actual game, irrespective of the dev's politics.

19201 Comments. 961 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo