Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 20046 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 15:18 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:08:
I wonder if Blade Runner 2049 is like the first Blade Runner movie: great movie, but box office poison. It seems people just want actors in colorful spandex costumes fighting each other... Whatever. I am going to watch BR2049 next week.

I feel this movie will have legs. Older farts like us will go see it, just not opening weekend. They compare it monetarily to Alien Covenant, but by all indications, that was a bad movie. I think BR2049 will continue to make decent money for several weeks. It's worth it to see a Denis Villeneuve film in theaters. They're always so gorgeous.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 15:12 jdreyer

PR & Marketing Lessons Learned from Goat Simulator.

Internal memo leaked online: Do NOT name the special edition "Goat SE"

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 15:11 jdreyer

This mod for Star Wars Battlefront 2 2005 adds 25 new maps and 5 new game modesÖ

Ima have to try that...

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 15:09 jdreyer

Saboth wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 13:25:
"there is a mountain of evidence out there" Actually, no, there isn't. There's almost no evidence linking violent media with violent behavior. And any studies that have shown a link have merely shown a rise in immediate, short-term aggression and video games. Meaning someone might be "hyped up" after playing a game, much like they might be after watching a boxing match or football game. Leave it up to the GOP to blame anything BUT guns for GUN violence.

How many hours a day did of CoD and Battlefield did Stephen Paddock play? Oh, right. He didn't play video games. He did gamble though. We should make gambling illegal, since obviously gambling lead him to be a mass murderer.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 15:07 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 13:20:
Santorum truly is "a frothy mixture of lubricant and fecal matter left as an occasional byproduct of anal sex."

That Dan Savage got that to be a thing still cracks me up.

On the face-punchability scale, Santorum is only slightly below the faces of top-ranked Martin Shkreli and Ajit Pai.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 8, 2017, 15:05 jdreyer

Shorter MS: "You should upgrade to Windows 10!"  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2017, 15:05 jdreyer

Micro LED looks like somewhat of a game-changer. 90% lower power consumption vs. standard LCD? Wow.  

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
52. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 8, 2017, 14:46 jdreyer

Osc8r wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:45:
Awesome graphics and sounds... but that's about it.

Definitely better than the last one, but gameplay is still shallow and super repetitive, out of bounds everywhere you walk, and the spawn points are a complete joke i.e. you kill someone and they back in your face 5 seconds later.

I can see why Battle Royal games are taking off now - they offer way more depth and tactics than this mindless team zerging and instant respawning BS.

5 hours was more than enough for me.

Maybe Battlefront will create its own battle royale type game. This seems to be the current trend.

102. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 14:40 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:57:
10 lies about gun control and and 5 more myths
Personal favorites
MYTH NO. 3 Mental illness is behind most gun violence against others.
Lie #6: Chicago has tight gun restrictions and mass gun violence. Ergo, gun laws donít work.
Lie #8: We need guns to protect ourselves from the government.
Lie #10: Americans oppose tighter gun regulation.

RE: number 8, a favorite among the white male pro-2nd amendment crowd: get onto youtube and google "Apache kill video" to see what little use a gun collection will be against the might of the US military if it were turned against its own citizens.

101. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 14:34 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:34:
Guess who needs another hurricane to raise his poll numbers.
They sure didn't stay up very long.

32%. Ouch, that's positively Nixonian.

What does it matter? Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win. The real issue is that unless The Democrat party puts up a real candidate and stops sabotaging candidates that resonate with the populace but aren't their specific chosen one then we're all going to have 8 years of Trump.
Nate Silver gave Trump a 30% chance of winning. That's a real chance. Polling worked just fine, people simply chose not to believe. As for HRC over Sanders, she simply won more votes during the primary than him. A lot more.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2017, 11:23 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 09:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 22:38:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:27:
The only Star Trek future we'll be living in is the one on Ferenginar.
Yep. I hope we will change/evolve over time... (read centuries) but I wouldn't bet much on it.

Time? There's not much left... We'll run out of most of the elements we need for our civilization in the current century ( of which some will run out as soon as 2040 ). And right now Ferenginar looks like a friggin' utopia compared to the wasteland that is awaiting us in the near future after the incoming resource wars of unprecedented scales are over and done.

Source of the info on the shortage of elements is a multiple page paper feature article in the serious and reputable Science&Vie magazine which appeared a few years ago and is based not only on current exploitable reserves but, and that's where it gets from bad to worse, also currently unexploitable reserves. Sadly I don't have it on hand anymore, otherwise I'd be linking to photos on imgur.

Richard Heinberg wrote a book called "Peak Everything" which documents this. Oil is in the process of peaking (although we're coming up with alternatives to forestall the effects) and phosphate is about to. Phosphate is the scary one, since it's the key crop food.

Here's a different guy with a shorter PDF that documents much the same.

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2017, 06:51 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 04:15:
I do love how they always name this legislation something so patriotic and/or innocent sounding. Often times it does the precise opposite of what the name implies it does.
Patriot Act anyone?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 06:49 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 23:44:
1badmf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 18:00:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

MERGE WHEN THE LINE IS EXPANDING, NOT WHEN IT'S CONTRACTING, IDIOTS.

out here in california i think a lot of us came to htis conclusion a long time ago. nobody gives a shit about zipper merges anymore - when a lane shuts down we all just flow to the end until the cones force us to conform. i mean there's always one asshole who has to merge as late as possible, as if forcing his way in between two stopped cars will save him any time vs merging over to faster lanes sooner but it's always fun to give them the stink eye as I flow past that neanderthal that roared past me cuz he thought i was wasting his time by not waiting till i knocked over a couple cones before i merged.

I'm, no doubt, probably a bloke most of you would give the two-step finger-horn to during traffic diving. I'm fine on the highway but get me in a city~ish area with traffic and I turn into 'Baby Driver'. Every two weeks I have to go from my home to Spring Hill, which is a 140-mile drive one-way. Most of it is spent on I-75, which is a battleground of tractor trailers, highway patrol, pricks with BMWs (no offense, Beamer!) and construction with some city driving on either end. It's those bits that I like the most. I think if I was back home in NJ, I might seriously consider becoming a taxi driver in NYC. In another life, I could've been a NASCAR driver but I have to make due with iRacing instead.

=-Rigs-=
Mercedes drivers are the worst. Entitled rich people are the worst assholes.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 7, 2017, 15:45 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:03:
Subscriptions are fine, but now you're having to put a monetary value on your content.

If every website I ever go to demands 10 bucks a month for reading a handful of stories, or even one story, a month, it's not going to happen.

I'd almost be willing to buy article read credits... 100 articles from a subscription service for say... 20 bucks. Or whatever. Read a wapo article and it deducts a credit. Read a WSJ article and there goes another credit. They get paid for content. If I want to subscribe to WSJ or Wired or whatever I can. If I read a lot it might pay to subscribe.
Magazine subs used to be $1 or $2 per month. That's probably more reasonable.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:01 jdreyer

US Traffic Deaths Rise for the Second Year in a Row.

Thanks Obama.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 15:00 jdreyer

Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 7, 2017, 14:48 jdreyer

If Ads Don't Work, Can Publishers Strike Subscription Gold?

Blue, this story is speaking to you. Get on Patreon already!

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 14:46 jdreyer

How bad can the new spying legislation be? Exhibit 1: it's called the USA Liberty Act.

Hey, the act name is truthful. It's providing liberty from privacy, because who wants all that pesky privacy anyway?

2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 14:06 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 13:02:
That Oilpro stunt is proof people just canít get enough. He had millions, and tried to scam his way to more. Seriously, what use is more than a few million dollars, unless youíre wanting to go into large scale construction?

Hey, until I can buy my own country, it won't be enough.

News Comments > Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA
12. Re: Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA Oct 7, 2017, 02:49 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 23:49:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 19:40:
they consider this matter severe enough to be a one strike and you're out offense.

Bow to our powerful Amazon overlords who shamelessly profile our every move.

You should see what we do to the micro trackers in the labels in the warehouse.....

Does this have anything to do with your ex, the power bottom? Inquiring minds...

20046 Comments. 1003 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo