Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17578 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 11, 2017, 15:18 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 13:59:

What the press--most of it, anyway--deliberately keeps forgetting is that Trump has never opposed legal immigration. It's only the illegal kind that he opposes. We have legal immigration laws and procedures for 101 good reasons, at least--to restrict disease carriers, criminals, and terrorists, etc. The legal immigration process gives us time to properly vet immigrants and ensure that they have something of value to contribute to America--so that unlike what we've seen from Cuba and Mexico in the past--countries aren't cleaning out their jails and essentially deporting their felons to the US where these people then become our very big problem. Every other nation (with the exception of the foolish EU atm) has very strict anti-illegal immigration law--just try illegally immigrating into Mexico, for instance...;)

Patently untrue. Trump's immigration ban was specifically targeted toward LEGAL immigrants. Educate yourself or risk looking like a foolish child.

Pushing for illegal immigration makes not even an angstrom of sense--it's ridiculous, illogical, and completely irresponsible and unmindful of American citizens and their rights to be safe in their own country. In the oath of office the President takes, he pledges to protect America from "all enemies, foreign and domestic." The concept of "open borders" seems to me a clear violation of that oath--Trump is the first President in a long while who is taking that part of his job seriously.

1. No one is "for illegal immigration." Don't be a fool.

2. That being said, workers are needed to do hard labor in the fields. Americans don't want these jobs. Attempts to provide a legal avenue for these workers by GW Bush and Harry Reid in 2004 and 2007 went nowhere, so illegals continue to perform this work. Trump supporters didn't take him at his word, and now they're worried about what will happen to their crops. Oops.

3. As far as safety goes, let's look at that, shall we?
The authors found that 1.6 percent of immigrant males age 18-39 are incarcerated, compared to 3.3 percent of the native-born.
Huh, legal or illegal immigrants have half or less the incarceration rate of natural born citizens.

Cage: Why do they call it Science Hill?
Master Sergeant Farell: Never asked, donít care.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Feb 11, 2017, 14:47 jdreyer

Speaking of Trump:

New Yorker cover

Der Speigel cover

12. Re: what part of the world thinks, and they are correct Feb 11, 2017, 14:44 jdreyer

TangledThorns wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 12:34:
Great to wake up knowing Donald Trump is your president. No stopping the TRUMP TRAIN with each cabinet member being sworn in. Glorious times we live in Sunny

MOAR WINNING PLEASE!

Let's review the Trump Train, shall we?

1. Agrees to do China's bidding and follow the "One China" policy. Is Trump a Communist plant?

2. Botches the raid in Yemen so bad that Yemen has forbade the US military from operating there.

3. Had his Muslim immigration ban overturned. A ban, by the way, that makes us less secure than more by undermining trust in the USA and driving more people into the arms of our enemies.

4. Has a national security advisor in cahoots with the Russians. THE RUSSIANS.

5. Has his cabinet hawking his daughter's wares from the White House, a major ethics violation.

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise
11. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise Feb 11, 2017, 13:59 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 05:00:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 04:52:
I get why they picked the Enterprise. However I personally would have liked to see the Defiant; it's a tough little ship.

LITTLE?!

Compared to V'Ger.

Also no love for Reliant complete with Khan's crew? Such a colorful cast os characterzs!

9. Re: Into the Black Feb 11, 2017, 13:55 jdreyer

Dailykos used to be called "the Great Orange Satan." The that means something completely different.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct
44. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 11, 2017, 08:29 jdreyer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:39:
I would be really disappointed if they upped the publishing fee simply because a lot of games I own on steam may not have ultimately been published, namely...
Unreal World, Curious Expedition, Sunless Sea, NEO Scavenger, etc. Each of these games could have just as easily been mobile exclusives.

To solve the problem of complete crap making it onto steam, Steam just needs to filter out poorly rated games more aggressively. I'm constantly getting complete garbage recommended to me... I don't care that crap games exist, I just can't stand that Steam still recommends abandoned early access title that have overwhelmingly negative reviews.

I'm working on a sports simulation that I intended to release on steam in the future, but damn $5,000 is a big hit to take. I've been working on this game for years for fun, but having to shell out $5k to see it released on Steam is not something I planned for.

Launch immediately in Early Access?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2017, 22:15 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 18:19:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 16:33:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 12:06:
Isn't it possible that it really still will be Skynet? How can we ever say if "True AI" were to exist. It should come to a conclusion probably sooner than later, putting us out of our misery with Machines 2.0 is for the greater good.

Maybe eventually, but it's a lot easier to write targeted AIs the replace things like tax accountants, taxi drivers, statisticians, and the like than it is to write a fully-formed self-conscious AI.

I think jobs that require the combination of physical action with intelligence are going to be the ones more slowly replaced by AI robots, because robots are hard. Think: plumber, nurse, orthodontist, veterinarian, electrician, etc.

Yeah this whole AI word can have a lot of meaning. True AI is not Tree Logic AI which is most likely what is being referenced. Will more simplistic robots take more jobs? Yep.

But before that even happens, simple AIs will take information management jobs. That's even easier to do, since there's no AI-machine interface to deal with.

39. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 22:13 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 21:29:
That would be because they have managers and people hired for support (even if they are probably out of India).
Valve has desks on wheels with no one interested in being on helldesk.

I'd be on HellChat 10 hours a day if Valve paid me six figures.

3. Re: what part of the world thinks, and they are correct Feb 10, 2017, 22:08 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 21:22:
this is beautiful
whoever turned me on to the dailykos, bless you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbTmXsfiYk

It used to be a regular haunt of mine during the Bush (2) years, good catharsis. But I stopped going there when Obama got elected. Started peeking back in when Trump got elected though.

Also recommend this site. Run by a former Republican ex-military dude that decided the Repubs were just batshit, poor-hating racists so he became a Dem.

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise
5. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise Feb 10, 2017, 22:02 jdreyer

I wonder if they'll have away missions replete with Red Shirts.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2017, 17:56 jdreyer

About time.  

28. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 17:21 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 16:31:
If a game you bought doesn't pass a "basic quality test," then you can refund it immediately. That's what it's for.

I would much prefer the game to never be on Steam in the first place than using customers as guinea pigs.

26. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 17:18 jdreyer

Squirmer wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 16:16:
With the money Steam is making, Valve could hire a small team to run basic quality tests on the products they sell.

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:07:
Well, the fee is recoupable. It's not gone. I don't see a reason why anyone who is really serious about game development shouldn't be able to afford a $5K admission fee. I'd consider that pretty low actually. If you want to found a business then you need to show up with some capital in most countries and it's usually WAY more than a measly $5K.
It's low for business costs, but many indie devs are more like struggling artists, not businesses.

But I guess if they set the price too high, there'll just be a flood of Kickstarters to fund the publishing fee.

And I'd be fine with that. A lot of crap games will fail that $5K KS funding test unless the developer has either a kick-ass concept, or a good track record. No more shovelware/stealware for $100 a pop.

25. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 17:09 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:58:
Bundy wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:03:
$100 hasn't reduced the amount of trash you see in the iOS app store. But I imagine $5,000 will almost entirely eliminate the one-man-part-time indie dev from publishing anything.

There must be a middle ground that'll work for devs and gamers alike.

The downside is that might eliminate the Eric Barones and Stardew Valleys indie projects.

So, Stardew Valley has an estimated revenue of $25M. He would have made back his $5K easily, like within the first 10 minutes his game was on sale.

24. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 17:03 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 15:00:
How about they get RID of all the trash on Steam first.

Or at least implement some better filtering.

23. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 16:59 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:20:
Bundy wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:03:
$100 hasn't reduced the amount of trash you see in the iOS app store. But I imagine $5,000 will almost entirely eliminate the one-man-part-time indie dev from publishing anything.

There must be a middle ground that'll work for devs and gamers alike.

With 5000$, games like Star Ruler or indeed any Indy game (including the ones from Japan) would not be on Steam whatsoever. That'd be like 20% of the budget...

So those games did less than $5000 in sales thus not recouping the money? I'd argue such niche games need not be on Steam in that case.

22. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 16:58 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:08:
Any move to weed out the abysmal shovelware garbage is welcomed. I'd say make the fee *at least* $5,000. It's recoupable so what. If some basement dwelling kiddo can't afford it, it's not a big loss. Kiddo can always self-publish first via their own website (or a network site of fledgling game devs) and if the game really is somewhat decent then kiddo should be able to cough up the $5K in no time.

Or kiddo can publish on itch.io, where a whole crap of indie games now reside. Once they get popular, then they're moving to Steam. This has become my son's go-to place to find interesting new stuff. He's been messing around with Clone Drone in the Danger Zone for months, even though it was just put up on Steam last week. Ditto for Ravenfield and Ancient Warfare 2.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 10, 2017, 16:44 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:47:
Yeah, hold it in a muslim country and see how that works out for you. This liberal stupidity over this issue never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, fuck security, let's just open the borders entirely and let anyone do whatever they want. I'm sure that'll work out well.

The people who put in 80 hours a week to rise up to the level to qualify for a DOTA tournament aren't going to be terrorists. They won't even be political. But if bans/restrictions prevents them from competing, that is an issue for the tournament. Is Valve going to move the tourney to a muslim country? Of course not, but perhaps to another country that has more reasonable travel restrictions that the US currently does. Canada, perhaps?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2017, 16:33 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 12:06:
Isn't it possible that it really still will be Skynet? How can we ever say if "True AI" were to exist. It should come to a conclusion probably sooner than later, putting us out of our misery with Machines 2.0 is for the greater good.

Maybe eventually, but it's a lot easier to write targeted AIs the replace things like tax accountants, taxi drivers, statisticians, and the like than it is to write a fully-formed self-conscious AI.

I think jobs that require the combination of physical action with intelligence are going to be the ones more slowly replaced by AI robots, because robots are hard. Think: plumber, nurse, orthodontist, veterinarian, electrician, etc.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2017, 16:22 jdreyer

This kind of thing will shortly become the norm with Ajit Pai running the FCC.  

17578 Comments. 879 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo