Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 19658 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Sep 14, 2017, 03:24 jdreyer

I wonder if VR and the time spent upgrading it will make it a better title.  

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced
2. Re: Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced Sep 14, 2017, 03:19 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 20:33:
Those are some sweet engine upgrades.

Questions:

1) Can I play this without having played Avernum 1 & 2? How much story am I missing? Will I be totally lost?

2) Will my five year old GTX670 be able to run those "sweet engine upgrades?" It is an overclocked GTX670, so it's practically a 680.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2017, 03:15 jdreyer

So much whitesplaining going on here. I wonder what an actual black person thinks. Slashman, you around? Or just avoiding this craziness altogether?  

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2017, 03:12 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 18:08:
Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:41:
The problem isn't the casual racism it's the SJWs with their massive overreactions to it. Even when people are simply accused of something they lose their shit. Look at that story a few weeks back where that asshole on Twitter who felt it was his personal mission to "out" racists they ended up blaming an innocent man. They were calling his house and making death threats to his wife and kids FFS! And these assholes aren't even a minority! They are just look for reasons to go off and they don't care who gets hurt or how extreme their overreactions are and that makes them way more dangerous and way worse than the so-called bigots and racists they're opposing. Hitch up your fucking panties and stop throwing hissy fits over every little thing - especially when it doesn't even apply to you. Fuck, go end poverty or something actually worthwhile.

You tell em Cutter. Most people these days don't even understand how harmless casual racism is. At least compared to the ultra-hardcore kind.

Hell I didn't even know what the hell casual racism was until you made it clear. And I sure as hell don't know what offends me. I've only been black for like 42 years or so. Totally need a clear-headed white person to sort out my thoughts for me.

But while we're on the subject, you wanna explain to me why the 'casual racists' (especially the ones raking in millions) need defending while the 'more serious racists' need condemning?

Obviously, the 'more serious racists' AKA raceaholics, are a menace to society. They imbibe way too much racism and are a danger to others. 'Casual racists' on the other hand, are only racists socially, and only imbibe racism when others are around at, say, parties and such. So the amount of racism is limited.

Does that help?

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2017, 03:03 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 20:36:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:22:
The thing is that PDP is so popular that he doesn't need this "edgy" content to get views. It's totally unnecessary. So I'm thinking that he is just attention whoring.

Could be. Nothing grabs attention like controversy. Or it could just be a Freudian slip. That happened to me once with my ex. We were sitting down to breakfast and I said, 'Honey, can you pass the...YOU FUCKIN' BITCH YOU RUINED MY LIFE!' Woops, did I just think that out loud?

Speaking of being "edgy" for attention...

News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Sep 13, 2017, 20:52 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 09:16:
Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 09:03:
what happened to GamerTics?

This is one of the things I never understand about the "ethics in journalism" people: they trust sites more the smaller they are. Similar to conspiracy theorists, actually - the fewer people that know about something the more accurate it is, to them.

But in media, that's objectively wrong. While size isn't a guarantee, smaller sources are less likely to be accurate and reliable ones. In a large media organization:

* The relationship to the consumer is understood, and they know that losing trust means an end, so the trust of the audience is always in the front of their minds (even if they choose not to listen, it's there)

* The organization is big enough to have an editorial staff and business operations, with little contact needed between

* There's internal accountability. To shareholders, but more to other employees. If someone does something sketchy, everyone sees it. Not only does this make it more likely to be leaked, but it's less likely to happen, as people feel that they'd let their peers down, or they simply feel they're more likely to be caught or called out

* There are resources. Resources to find news, to contact people, and to do some element of investigation, though the resources are usually far too thin to do much of that at all

I mean, compare to a small shop. It's usually run by people with no real knowledge of media and how the consumer views it, it's one to three people running the entire thing and constantly in contact, there's no accountability because everything is somewhat independent - usually not even in the same city, making shadiness easy to hide, and there are absolutely no resources to do much of anything.

Yet, somehow, they're the reliable ones.
It's fascinating that studies show that when you use logic and details to refute conspiracy theories, that hardens the listener's belief in said theory.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 20:13 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:10:
Cassini's last photo.

Haha, no. A few seconds of searching reveals that's "an artist's view of what Cassini might see during its final plunge into the clouds of Saturn.NASA/JPL-Caltech"
Yeah, I thought Cassini wouldn't be taking the plunge until the 15th.
That's a cool picture though.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 20:11 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:11:
Jail time for Shkreli

Have fun Martin Biker Anxious

Saw that just now. Douchenozzle to the end.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 13, 2017, 19:39 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:08:
Just doubled my donation to both and added the Southern Poverty Law Center. gotta love justice

On the one hand, yes. I made donations to ACLU & EFF earlier this year. They do good work.

On the other hand, this has been going on for years. What took you guys long?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 19:27 jdreyer

This battery-free cellphone runs on light and radio waves

That is cool but also nuts. And $1?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 13, 2017, 19:22 jdreyer

The thing is that PDP is so popular that he doesn't need this "edgy" content to get views. It's totally unnecessary. So I'm thinking that he is just attention whoring.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 17:55 jdreyer

Sex offenders have a 3-4% recidivism chance, much lower than most other crimes. The registries and restrictions have grown so onerous that it borders on unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment. Former convicts find it nearly impossible to reintegrate with society given that vast swaths of jobs and locations are off limits to them. It's to the point that one of the mother's whose daughter was killed by a sex offender and who started up one of these registries has switched sides and is now working for the convicts rights.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 13, 2017, 17:35 jdreyer

Drug company hands patents off to Native American tribe to avoid challenge

This is huge. It could result in hundreds of companies parking their patents with Indian tribes in order to "protect" them.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 17:22 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 14:43:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 14:25:
Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:40:

Anyways $999 for a 64GB model is a fucking awful joke, they already had lavish profit margins on the iPhones.

Yup, I'd rather have a $200 Moto X and an $800 laptop. $800 can get you a pretty sweet laptop these days.
Replace the 5400 rpm hdd with an SSD and boost the ram up to 8GB and you will have an awesome machine.
Yeah, my six year old HP laptop has 8gb of RAM already, I really got to get an SSD for it.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free
19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free Sep 13, 2017, 17:18 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 15:25:
Darth Binky wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:43:
Yes, it does.

Man, I really wanted to love this game. But it just didn't have the fun factor from the Battlefield games (for me, anyway). Here's hoping they right the ship with the sequel.

I mean, that's why it's a BattleFRONT, not a BattleFIELD, right?
I dunno, Beam. The game could have benefited from some Battlefield-type complexity.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 14:32 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:49:
Official title for Star Wars Episode IX has just been confirmed:

Star Wars - Episode IX: Return of the Jar Jar

Written & directed by Jar Jar Abrams

Can't wait for it... NOT!

"Meesa your humble director!"

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 14:27 jdreyer

Trumpís self-driving car strategy: Donít regulate self-driving cars.

I mean, really, what could go wrong?

Up next: deregulate the airline industry entirely, because "free market."

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 14:27 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 13:09:
Yep, I agree that face identifying stuff is more gimmick than useful. I just do not mind typing in the passcode because that means only I can unlock it!

You must be some kind of criminal. Obviously.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 14:25 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:40:

Anyways $999 for a 64GB model is a fucking awful joke, they already had lavish profit margins on the iPhones.

Yup, I'd rather have a $200 Moto X and an $800 laptop. $800 can get you a pretty sweet laptop these days.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free
12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free Sep 13, 2017, 14:22 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 14:00:
SlimRam wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 13:32:
Just got the whole shebang for $5.30, for that I couldn't resist. Damn you Star Wars!
Exactly, what's not to like.

If you got kids, you could do a lot worse for $5. The game is gorgeous, and captures that Star Wars atmosphere wonderfully, even if the gameplay isn't the greatest. And there are some single player modes if you just want to cruise around and blast stormtroopers.

19658 Comments. 983 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo