Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 29293 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 1, 2020, 14:25 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 18:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 18:35:
Nullity wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 13:08:
I'll go one step further and say that all beer is piss-water. Only drink dark liquor that's been aging in a barrel for a decade or more.
Beer is a odd beverage. I have never meet anyone who claimed they liked the first beer they ever had (including myself), but I have meet many, many beer drinkers. I've tried whiskey a few times, but it is too much for me -- though I'll drink vodka occasionally.
Iíve spilled more beer than most have drank (not proud of this fact)
As for liking it, the first sip out of my dads Pilsner glass in the late 60ís was magical and I had a Heineken while eating a salad that had blue cheese dressing in the mid 80ís that was also memorable. Other than that I was just sucking em down as fast as the bartender could open em. quit over 10 years ago and donít miss it
I quit for a few years back in the 90s. Should quit again.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes

64. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Feb 1, 2020, 14:19 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 1, 2020, 10:07:
"Unit movement is locked to 20 frames per second" -- WTF? And the stuff about them not redoing so many things and removing other things which had been there. Crazy. If you still had any belief in Blizzard this probably killed it. I had a minor interest in the W3 Reforged, I might have gotten around to buying it when I was ready to spend some time playing it. Glad I wasn't hyped for it, sounds like it is a major disappointment.
Gotta capture that mobile market.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

News Comments > Outbreak: Epidemic Leaves Early Access This Month

3. Re: Outbreak: Epidemic Leaves Early Access This Month Feb 1, 2020, 14:18 jdreyer

* Coronavirus DLC $4.99 plus tax  

58. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 31, 2020, 12:21 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 11:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 11:20:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 10:31:
Is it just me, or is literally the only gaming company left that matters CD Projekt Red?
Subset Games! And Anamita Design.

CDPR is a big budget publisher. Not exactly the same comparison.

Mr. Reality said "only game company that matters." He didn't say "only big-budget game company." I was adhering to his criteria.

56. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 31, 2020, 11:26 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 12:14:
Primalchrome wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 11:31:
All of the hyperbole aside.... Here are the realities...
- They can put it in the EULA.
- It doesn't matter if it's enforceable.
- You live in the US, you have to buy your justice.
- If you create the next DotA on WCIIIr, Blizzard will hit you up thanking you, offering you a big check for your work and letting you know they already own it.
- If you resist, they'll sue the fuck out of you....and unless you have tens of thousands of dollars lying around, you won't be able to successfully defend it.
- And if you *do* successfully defend it, you'll be down tens of thousands of dollars rather than the hundred thousand they offered you originally.
- And this is why capitalism is a good thing.....but a horrific thing when it becomes the religion or centerline of your society.

The even better part is people will still buy their products, rewarding anti-consumer behavior, and filling their legal warchest further. Then they'll come on Blues and make excuses like 'free games' or 'gamergate incels' or 'buthurt over another launcher' instead of admitting that you vote with your dollars to support behavior like this.

I don't really disagree with any of that, but here's another reality: a very small percentage of players actually know or care who publishes any of the games they play. As has been pointed out many times, we here here at Blues and other enthusiast sites like it are in the distinct minority of gamers who care to be "in the know"; most gamers just want to play the newest or popular games. So me choosing not to play a game by Activision -Blizzard, Bethesda, Epic, Ubisoft, EA, 2K, Warner Bros, or any other publisher known for sleazy practices is a symbolic gesture that affects nothing beyond arbitrarily limiting what games I play. I just don't see the point. So I provide my tacit approval by refusing to boycott games by shitty companies. I just live with that.
What you're saying is that Bluesers are the organic vegans of gaming, and you want to eat burgers.

55. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 31, 2020, 11:20 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 10:31:
Is it just me, or is literally the only gaming company left that matters CD Projekt Red?
Subset Games! And Anamita Design.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 31, 2020, 11:10 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 09:41:
Each acoustic feedback of Neil's guitar is more creative and better music than anything in the top 10 right now. FACT!
You and Slick will probably enjoy this series: What Makes This Song Great.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2020, 03:29 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 19:32:
bigspender wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 17:36:
Milk. White Poison or Healthy Drink?

According to the British Medical Journal, it's poison.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2014/11/01/got-milk-got-disease/

And basically makes any human condition and functon worse https://nutritionfacts.org/?s=dairy

It's an observational study. Their findings are predicated on correlation, not causation. In other words, it's bullshit.

"A higher consumption of milk in women and men is not accompanied by a lower risk of fracture and instead may be associated with a higher rate of death. Consequently, there may be a link between the lactose and galactose content of milk and risk as suggested in our hypothesis, although causality needs be tested using experimental study designs. Our results may question the validity of recommendations to consume high amounts of milk to prevent fragility fractures.3 71 72 The results should, however, be interpreted cautiously given the observational design of our study. The findings merit independent replication before they can be used for dietary recommendations."

Anti-dairy quack pushing his own agenda. If you're of Indo-European descent and live anywhere that isn't tropical than milk is not only good for you but necessary.
Apparently tropical people want milk too:

'She can't say no': the Ugandan men demanding to be breastfed

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2020, 03:27 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 19:38:
never gets old
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2019, 19:20:
Naturally occurring cow's milk does not contain significant amounts of Vitamin D.
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2019, 12:36:
DAIRY DOES NOT HAVE VITAMIN D
Only Fortified dairy has VD and that didn't start happening until the 30's.
Well, he didn't bring that up this time.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2020, 03:25 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 18:06:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 11:38:
Update on ST Picard, episode 2:

Well... this is not getting better, if anything it's getting worse.

Any lingering doubts I had of Picard being a typical Kurtzman serie are long gone.

Instead of utopia, you have dystopia. Instead of harmony, you have petty bickering among Admirals. Instead of having something uplifting and hopeful to look forward to, it's dark and depressing.

All that stuff existed in the other Star Trek TV shows and films. DS9 had it a LOT. The last four seasons alone had dystopia, xenophobic viewpoints, petty bickering among Admirals, and a rather depressing war against a more powerful adversary.

Simon Says wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 11:38:
***SPOILERS***
They've invented a Section 31 for Romulans that is worse than the Tal Shiar, is thousands of years old and it has infiltrated Starfleet, supposedly for a long long time. At least long enough to have a Commodore passing as an Admiral.
***END OF SPOILERS***

Mass facepalm

Just highlighting Kurtzman's strange boner for the dark and depressing internal backstabbing stuff he already displayed in STD. They can't write for shit, so instead of going with the harder utopian, uplifting, harmonious and hopeful better cooperating humanity, they go for the quicker, easier, more seductive crap they went with for STD.

Yet... it still manages to have horrible writing full of overdone, obvious, predictable tropes.

While it tries very hard to get the older intellectual tension addicts Trekkies back on board while not leaving behind the newer action and emotional ride addicts Trekkers from STD and Kelvin. It falls mostly flat on its face with the former, although I'm sure most of the later will lap it up.

I had hopes that the show would get Star Trek back to its harder utopian, uplifting, hopeful, humanity can do better and cooperate, brain stimulating roots. Sadly, the way it looks, I fear it's really just more of the same quicker, easier, more seductive Kurtzman mainstream wannabe money grabbing, dark and depressing dystopian, look how "edgy" it is, exhausting and draining internal conflict and petty bickering action/emotional rides we had since Kelvin.

Trekkers and Nu-Trek fans will love it, for Trekkies and everyone else, there's The Orville.

Unless things change massively, and according to leaks it's unlikely ( it's said to do full retard STD after episodes 3-4 ), that's pretty much it.

Not worth a subscription to CBS All Access unless you enjoyed the STD/Kelvin infection. Then by all means, knock yourself out.

As for me, I'll stick to the Star Trek novels ( which are actually pretty damn good ) and The Orville.

If the Sun went supernova and wiped out the earth, Section 31 would likely blossom despite most humans merely wanting to move on with life.

I do agree with the assessment of desiring more cerebral episodes, or episodes that address hope in humanity. However, it's rather hard to judge the entirety of the Trek universe against the first two episodes of any Star Trek series. Most Star Trek series would be terrible if you looked at just the first two episodes. TNG and DS9's two-parter pilots were good, but in the grand scheme of the series couldn't tell you how great they would become. An avid reader should know about judging books by their covers.

You've already labeled the series "Nu-Trek" (a rather disrespectful thing to say to a series that officially expands TNG). You claim to enjoy the novels and have already claimed all true fans will see The Orville as a better Star Trek show. So it sounds like confirmation bias.

The entire first season of TNG was terrible.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2020, 03:24 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 17:52:
Baby Yodaís official life-size figure is available for $350. This is not the way.

$350. They have spoken.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2020, 03:23 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 15:48:
Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 12:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 12:22:
I have to say I have been mostly ignoring the coronavirus reports, it seemed like a lot of hype. But with word now that it has spread faster than SARS did, raises concerns it could grow into a serious problem...

Meh, we all gotta die of something. Very likely this will amount to much ado about nothing for the vast majority of the populace like the last couple of "pandemics" the CDC had us up in arms about.

I think people enjoy the rampant paranoia. 'OMFG! It's marginally worse than the flu!' It is literally 1% worse than the flu and 10% less worse than SARS. When it peters out in a month or two everyone will wonder what the hysteria was about. If you're not an infant or octogenarian or someone with AIDS, you'll be fine.

Fatality rate is 10X the flu, clueless Cutter. That's actually 1000% worse.

19. Re: Steam down Jan 31, 2020, 03:21 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 12:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 12:26:
Apparently globally?
https://steamstat.us/
Steam Goes Down With Several Services Inaccessible
Steam is currently unavailable, and Valve has yet to comment on the matter.

The Valvers that used to enjoy maintaining the servers decided they didn't like doing that anymore, so they wheeled their desks over to the Alyx VR group.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2020, 03:02 jdreyer

I heard that coronavirus is spread by drinking Corona. So stay away from that piss water. Drink a man's beer instead.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 31, 2020, 02:59 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jan 31, 2020, 00:27:
Old man yells at cloud

Nope, you missed it. Should have been "Needle and the damage done."

News Comments > Get Farming Simulator 19 for Free

15. Re: Get Farming Simulator 19 for Free Jan 31, 2020, 02:57 jdreyer

So FS 19 (Not THAT FS 19!) lets you play as a woman farmer.

Are there any nood modes out there for this?

Asking for a friend.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2020, 20:21 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 18:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 13:25:
WireGuard VPN review: A new type of VPN offers serious advantages
fwiw

WireGuard is fucking AWESOME!

Been using it for a bit to tunnel back in to the home LAN when I want to use Plex or grab a file.
Doesn't look simple to use. Probably won't replace Nord for me.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales

39. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales Jan 30, 2020, 02:06 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 23:20:
Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 22:45:
I accept that you're wrong and are simply too ... dense to realize it.
Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 09:58:
Bringing up a person's intelligence in a discussion thread is reductive and uncalled for.
You were expecting consistency?? THIS. IS. BLUE'S NEWS!!! Devil

I'm not singling out Prez. It's just the nature of comment threads on this site are such that it's impossible not to find yourself twisted around backwards within a 40 comment thread.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales

38. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales Jan 30, 2020, 02:01 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 22:32:
sliv wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 19:24:
It doesn't matter if Valve purchased a studio or they made the game themselves. Those are all proximity to the stated fact that an application ("Half-Life: Alyx") is directly responsible for a large spike in VR hardware purchases across different brands. HLA has become a catalyst for VR adoption.

We bought two Oculus Quests for our sons for Christmas, after the HL:A trailer came out. Not because it came out but because it was Christmas time. You can't claim that VR headset sales increase solely because of HL:A trailer. Oculus Quest comes with Vader Immortal Ep 1 - 3 included which may have contributed as well. We had already decided that was our boys Christmas gifts prior to that so even it didn't drive our decision.

Also, our boys request for the Quest wasn't based on HL either, they don't even know about it. (they're 11 and 7) Vader Immortal wasn't even a reasons either. Beat Saber, Job Simulator, and a few other games were on the top of their list. They're actually really excited about Echo Arena which we're still waiting to be released.

Yes. I can. The headline for this thread quite literally reads, "Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales," which is backed by respected market intelligence.

"Valve sold 149K Index headsets in 2019. Sales more than doubled from Q3 to Q4 (103K) thanks to anticipation for Half-Life: Alyx, which was announced in November and is slated to arrive in March. The Index sold more units than any other PC VR headset during the quarter despite a steep price of up to $1000. It would have sold even more if not for inventory issues (the device is currently sold out worldwide)."

I'm not posting projection-based hearsay. I've based my comments on substantive data. The numbers come from SuperData and there's an unchallenged entry on the Wikipedia "Killer Application" article that links to a verified and respected source. It would be best if you guys stopped now and just accept Half-Life: Alyx as a "killer app" for the Index and VR in general.

You could be right, on the other hand "correlation is not causation."

News Comments > Monster Train Announced

1. Re: Monster Train Announced Jan 30, 2020, 01:36 jdreyer

*yawn*  

29293 Comments. 1465 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >