Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21156 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 14:55 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:19:
"The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of this station."

What.. the actual.. fuck? A private corporation running a police department?

It's just the next step in our evolution to full corporatocracy. You might get a sense of how this will work out by watching Continuum.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2018, 14:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:39:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:53:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 11:10:
Pretty funny/shitty how the Meltdown bug was exposed right before CES for Intel. Might be a tough crowd.

I've been too busy dadding it over the last couple weeks, what's going on with intel and their horribly made new generation cores?

It's not just their new ones, this bug goes all the way back to 1995. And while Meltdown is primarily an Intel bug, Spectre is on every processor made since then.

Essentially the bug allows a h@xx0r to read protected areas in the processor in plain text. This means that literally anything you type can be read through it, utterly nullifying the most secure setups.

There is a fix for Meltdown, but it's basically causing the processor to put everything in separate threads/tables, and it's causing some pretty hefty slowdowns in certain areas (especially VMs).

Spectre will be much harder to patch, but fortunately also much harder to exploit. Meltdown is dead simple to exploit.

Nice summation.

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
14. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 14:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:34:

I use a 32 inch TV myself, and I can't even imagine going bigger than that. For the typical PC - Desk setup, 65 inch is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too large, so that massively limits your initial market to people who PC on their couch or something.

0.45% of Steam has a 4K monitor, but most of those are probably 27 or 30 inch, and those monitors will be only a few years old at most. I think Nvidia may be drastically overestimating their potential clientele here. It's not as if this is aimed at the console market either, this is purely a dedicated PC monitor.

Maybe they're going for the market of people who PC game on their living room PCs (like I do) and are looking for something as a main living room display, but also has all the PC monitor bells and whistles (HDR, 120Hz, gsync, etc.)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2018, 14:39 jdreyer

I was so disappointed they never got to finish Kings and Castles.  

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
26. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 14:38 jdreyer

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:20:

* snip *

And now, it's Below. Take an hour out of your day and watch Leonard French's legal analysis of the latest filings. It turns out that the original licensing document, the one that CryTek did not attach to both their initial complaint as well as their amended complaint, specified that CIG was licensing the engine for both Star Citizen and for Squadron 42. Both titles were named in the document. If you're not familiar with his work, Mr. French is a practicing copyright attorney in Pennsylvania. He's also a gamer, this case intersects both of those interests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4R8JsJa9A

Great post explaining everything, thanks Peter.

25. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 14:31 jdreyer

Choobeastia wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 01:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 23:12:
loomy wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 19:13:
I can't hear the sound of this loading screen lawsuit over the sound of me playing star citizen for hours this weekend

It was a slideshow for me. What's your system?

I haven't played it overly much, but I've found that the game is more CPU than GPU limited right now. I have a core i7 from a few years ago, and a 1060gtx, and I get around 20-30 FPS much of the time IF I set the game to high graphics. If I try to put it to low, my FPS drops to slideshow levels.

Hope that helps!

Wow, so it goes full slideshow when you put it on *low*?? That's bizarre. I have a 5 yr old Core i5, GTX 670. Not the newest machine, but I'm able to get everything else to run pretty well. That being said, I'm saving up for a new card, probably a 1070TI. Not to run Star Citizen, mind you. Just because 5 years is a good time to upgrade, and some newer games aren't quite as smooth as I'd like.

14. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 7, 2018, 23:12 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 19:13:
I can't hear the sound of this loading screen lawsuit over the sound of me playing star citizen for hours this weekend

It was a slideshow for me. What's your system?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2018, 14:12 jdreyer

Luv me some SupCom.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 03:03 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:44:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 11:10:
Out of all the Star Wars kids he was probably the least annoying. At least IMO. So RIP Worf Jr...:(
Freudian slip?

Are you suggesting he's sexually obsessed with Star Wars?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 7, 2018, 03:00 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 00:42:
Clyburn is great. Hopefully she becomes the new chair when a Dem gets elected again.

Yeah, after reading the article I realized she had an excellent grasp of the issues, and a fantastic ability to defend them.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 02:42 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 12:41:
She's only ripping off stupid people
While at some level I agree with this sentiment, it is still a mystery to me why she does it. I assume she doesn't need the money. So, is she a sociopath? Or maybe she is secretly a con artist who gets a high of ripping people off? It is just weird.

Well, it was probably the fact that roles dried up and wanting to leverage her dwindling name recognition into something lucrative. She went from starring roles in the 90s (Emma, Sliding Doors, Perfect Murder) to side characters like Iron Man's GF. Hollywood is harsh on women once they're over 30, and once they hit 40, fuggedaboudit (with a few exceptions). Stars like Cruise, Smith, Pratt, Evans, Hemsworth, etc. are almost always paired with actresses 10-20 years younger. Where's Meg Ryan? Halle Berry? Kim Basinger? Geena Davis? Demi Moore? She probably figured each role would be her last, and what was she gonna do?

I agree with Cutter that it's probably half grift, half belief in this shit she peddles.

EDIT: Ninja'd by SMA.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 01:17 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 14:07:
Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

So I had a pair of the Sound BlasterX H7s that I got last year. These were absolutely great sounding and comfortable headphones for the money, and I loved them. However, they came with a critical design flaw, someone unacceptable for a company that has been in gaming audio as long as Creative has. The USB dongle was hardwired on a short cable to the headphones using a non-flexible connection. This created two problems. First is that I was always whacking the dongle on shit. It was annoying. Worse, the cable that connected to the headphones began to fray. Nine months in I started getting a slight crackle. Then one day the crackle got really bad and one ear started going in and out. I decided to RMA them, only to realize the warranty had expired the week before.

So I picked up a pair of Kingston HyperX Cloud IIs. These are also very comfortable and sound great, although the old ones probably have a slight edge. The big thing is that these connect to the dongle via standard 3.5mm jack, so if the headphones ever die I can substitute anything I want, like my noise cancelling AT cans and still get 7.1.

Anyway, good luck in your search! And be careful of any hardwired cans.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March
36. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 00:44 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:07:
duplicate

Your duplicate has been duplicated.

Also, I needed a test comment to log back into Blues.

8. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 13:47 jdreyer

Granted I don't have the fastest machine on the planet, but it runs everything else fine. Star Citizen is a slide show, however. Might be a mem issue, as the hard drive light is constantly loading despite the game being loaded from SSD.  

6. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 13:46 jdreyer

vvenaya wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 12:42:
So 3.4 at december .... that gives us the full PU at the end of 2030.

I hope i wont die of old age by then, i already past 45

Or be more interested in cribbage than space shooters.

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2018, 18:43 jdreyer

Regulators eye game monetisation in 2018.

I read that as "molestation" at first glance. Then I realized, there's no difference.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2018, 18:42 jdreyer

From Clyburn's statement:

In short, we are trading in clear protections for uncertain ones, rock-solid legal authority for a shaky one, and robust enforcement authority for a weaker one…My fear is that this is yet another ploy to roll out the red carpet for broadband providers, while putting consumers in the long queue for the side door. Welcome to a regulatory-free zone.

Amen.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2018, 18:16 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 14:09:
What's "Insanely cold?" to you?

"Insanely cold" is scientifically defined as when you spit, and the spit hits the ground frozen.

Wow

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2018, 14:07 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 11:34:
Bill Borre wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 10:34:
I'm not sure why you would want a white penis?

In Thailand people want to look whiter, or more caucasian, as that is considered a beauty standard over there. I guess this is an extension of that. No pun intended.

The grass is always greener, I guess. Or in this case, whiter.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2018, 14:01 jdreyer

Video of 10 hours of white noise has 5 copyright claims.

It was my white noise video. Those other four people were mistaken.

21156 Comments. 1058 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo