Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 24007 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 12, 2018, 17:26 jdreyer

Stormsinger wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 18:32:
There hasn't been a military action in my lifetime (about 60 years now) that was about the security of anything but the MIC's finances. Trying to claim that it serves a valid defensive purpose is like trying to claim that nukes are a valid demolition tool.

I'll agree that most military actions since WW2 have been unnecessary. Exceptions are probably Korea, first Gulf War, Afghanistan. I think the largest benefit to having a large conventional force was as a bulwark against Soviet aggression during the cold war. I'm not sure they would have stopped with Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Romania if there hadn't been the weight of US conventional forces in Western Europe, not to mention their value during the Berlin Airlift and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer
63. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 CitizenCon Trailer Oct 12, 2018, 15:23 jdreyer

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 12, 2018, 03:16:
Now imagine if this was new wing commander game within the well established wing commander universe, man IMAGINE.... sigh but instead we got this paint drying experience.

Yeah, in typical CR fashion, he's going for the "movie" version of Star Citizen instead of focusing on the actual gameplay.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2018, 13:35 jdreyer

Mushrooms propagate via spores which can travel on the wind all over the world. So the potential for them to explode is always there if the right conditions occur. Heavy rains plus decaying vegetation in the soil are the perfect combo.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 13:19 jdreyer

Anyone tired of 100 year copyrights yet? The founders proposed 14 years, and if that were in place, this project wouldn't have been shut down.

Also, remakers: stop announcing your shit until it's finished.

News Comments > EA Exploring C&C Remasters
7. Re: EA Exploring C&C Remasters Oct 12, 2018, 02:35 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 22:44:
Remaster Mass Effect already, you fucking imbeciles.

I dunno, ME1 still looks amazing. Why remaster it?

EDIT: Never mind, I see you explained.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2018, 22:51 jdreyer

First, cheese is extremely unhealthy, so eating less is a good thing.

Second, there's lots of good, real made in America cheese to eat that isn't processed "American" cheese like Kraft or Velveeta. Places like Jasper Hill farm, Vermont Creamery, Widmers, and a bunch of others have amazing cheese.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2018, 22:35 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 13:10:
Girl children are substantially less annoying than boy children.

1. That's only true until they become teenagers. Then they flip.

2. Boy children are more likely to play video games with Dad.

55. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 20:16 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 16:39:
Hanneth wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 14:55:
They also stated last night that we should get a roadmap to completion for Sq42 in December.
Exactly. As much as I support the game the failure of CIG to even release a roadmap doesn't inspire much confidence. I don't mind if the game is going to take another five years if it's done right but CIG shouldn't be hiding that from the community.

If they have a roadmap, they won't be able to throw in unnecessary crap like real time facial capture. What fun would that be?

54. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 20:07 jdreyer

Nullity wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 14:08:
Now we know where all those piles of money went - so many A-list actors. Anyone else feel that's completely unnecessary in a video game?

I actually think it's pretty cool having all these stars in the game. I typically agree with you, that name stars in games are distracting, but it really works for me here.

53. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 19:54 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 11:42:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 11:12:
Well, if the game is half as good as that trailer makes it... I'll be satisfied for my $25 original backing.
Really? I mean it was a quality trailer, they did a good job. But looking at the trailer and hoping the game would be anywhere close to what you see is like watching one of the WoW trailers and thinking WoW would be like that. It just isn't so.

Well, it will be 2-3m cut scene, mission, 2-3m cut scene, mission. This was a cool trailer, but didn't have much gameplay.

52. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 19:51 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 11:12:
Well, if the game is half as good as that trailer makes it... I'll be satisfied for my $25 original backing.

Have no intention of playing the MMO though. I was only looking for a modern Wing Commander game when I backed this.

SQ 42 will be finished in a year or so. The MMO will never be finished.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 11, 2018, 15:58 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 08:23:
If the US military budget was about security, it would only cover our nuclear stockpile and delivery systems. The rest of our military is for wars of aggression and interventionist bullshit. The big "End the world" button is the only contribution the military makes to security. The rest is handled by the intelligence agencies.

That's like saying, " Our justice system has capital punishment, so we don't need any other kinds of punishment. Other punishments are repression bullshit." I'll agree that in recent decades, the military has been misused, but it serves a valid defensive purpose. If the Russians use irregular greenshirts to try and overthrow the Lithuanian government and annex it, you can't resort to nukes for that situation. Ditto for the 9/11 response in Afghanistan. We can discuss whether they were used properly, but you could only respond to that situation with conventional forces.

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Story Trailer
5. Re: Just Cause 4 Story Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 15:42 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 08:33:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 06:39:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 20:32:
Story trailer. Heh. If it's longer than a minute, it's not a trailer, it's the whole story. (edit: It's still like 1:10 of action shots and 29 seconds of 'story.')

There seriously can't be a single person that plays Just Cause for the story?

I play Just Cause for the action, but also for the deep lore storytelling.

Let me rephrase: There can't seriously be a single, NOT INSANE person that plays Just Cause for the story?
Laugh2

News Comments > Evening Patches
14. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 15:38 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 12:14:
Avus wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 20:39:
why a space sim game need this??

Obviously once he implements real time hand tracking and then in-game video chat between avatars, we're going to have the most realistic cybersex simulator ever. You can actually *watch* your boring-ass character model jerk off in the empty depths of space to someone who you are pretty sure is not a woman, but still get to see each other's O face rendered in real time.

Edit: It seems obvious at this point he has no interest in releasing a game. He's trying to create the Metaverse from Snow Crash. I'm sure somewhere in his fantasies he sees business men meeting from across the planet in Star Citizen to have business meetings because of his face tracking technology. You'll know it for sure when he goes out of his way to include as much body language as possible.

And the spoog will be rendered with perfect zero-G physics that took 10 developers two years to get right.

Second Life in Spaaaaaaaaace!

33. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 15:09 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 15:06:
i blame jdreyer

I got my wish!

Got a meeting now, but I'll check out the trailer in an hour or so.

32. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 - CitizenCon Trailer Oct 11, 2018, 15:07 jdreyer

Woot! Alright, people. Let's crank it up to 100!

Anyone seen DS?

Yes, I'm in it for teh lulz

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2018, 07:31 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 21:22:
At least it wasted a lot of a Helium, a limited resource.
The film’s mounting sense of dread prepares us for what happens next: the balloons are promptly brought down by an approaching storm. They wreak havoc on the city, litter Lake Erie, and, tragically, impede a Coast Guard search and rescue mission for two missing fishermen. Balloonfest serves as a sobering reminder of the short-sightedness of humankind.
Limited?? It's the second most abundant element in the galaxy after hydrogen!!1

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2018, 07:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 21:18:
What Tesla gives they can take away, plus much much more.

They don't let you run the battery below 20%. Makes the battery pack last longer. Looks like they are breaking this limit for the hurricane.

9. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 07:17 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 01:25:
They're going to introduce smell-o-vision to the game so you can smell virtual farts in space.

There's nothing better than a fart in a flight suit.

8. Re: Evening Patches Oct 11, 2018, 07:17 jdreyer

In software development, there's the concept of minimum viable product (MVP). You build your base, then you iterate, adding features. This face tracking crap is as far away from MVP that you can get for a space sim.  

24007 Comments. 1201 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo