Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 17947 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
28. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 20, 2017, 02:12 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 10:36:
Yeah, I might actually pay $60 for Read Dead Redemption. I don't own a console so I never got to play it.

Read Dead Redemption, the novelization of Red Dead Redemption.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
44. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 20, 2017, 02:09 jdreyer

Speaking of games stuck in development hell, Josh Parnell dropped a few new screenshots of Limit Theory yesterday.  

News Comments > etc.
32. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 02:06 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 23:24:
If you REALLY want to throw around animations (facial or otherwise), then lets go back to Half Life 2 for Facial Animations, and Assassin's Creed for character animations and work our way forward.

Half Life 2 released Nov 16th 2004, set an amazing bar for character facial animations and expressions, thanks in part to I believe Mike Belzer who had an extensive career with Walt Disney and I believe someone else who worked for Pixar for creating the amazing facial animations they used. BACK IN 2004.

Assassin's Creed released Nov 13th 2007 (the 1st one and most of the series in the franchise) has had an AMAZING set of very fluid animations over all sorts of terrain. Riding horses, climbing walls, parkour, moving through crowds, etc. Again BACK IN 2007.

Animation wise, no one bitches about Fallout 4 because they are so much better then Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind etc.

The complaint is Bioware has released a few games in the Mass Effect Franchise without this glaring lack of care taken for characters, especially when they are putting in their own videos for Mass Effect Andromeda that they are taking EXTRA STEPS to make sure characters feel detailed and personable and alive.
Even Dragon Age Inquisition (another FROSTBYTE ENGINE GAME) has very detailed facial and skeletal animations.

Now you might say 'But most of the game isn't about the characters', to you I say BULLSHIT. Bioware has ALWAYS been about story and characters first (and use to be about character choices until ME 3 (and then patched in a less shitty ending).
When I played ME:A and Ryder's Face covers up 90% of the screen because he's having his closeup shot, and he looks like he's stoned out of his mind, or female Ryder looks like she's had so much bowtox and pot that she can't quit smiling or show any emotions it's bad.
It's SO FUCKING BAD that when the bitch on the Citadel... er whatever the fuck it's called talks about how her face is tired I don't know if she's serious or seriously trolling me considering she's a fucking grammar nazi who can't even be a complete grammer nazi for the rest of her conversations.

Bioware has stated they wanted their games to by YOUR story. But at least with a book I can decide how the characters "feel", when I have to constantly have conversations with lifeless faces for over 40 hours it detracts from the story, the game, and my interest in characters that are nothing but empty lifeless shells that just move their lips.

The video's are out there showing animations from all over Bioware's games. Going back all the way to KOTOR, they have gotten better and better with each game. This is a slap in the face of quality, and to ship a product in this condition and think the fan's won't say anything is asinine.

+1

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 02:01 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 00:45:
Wished my mom a happy birthday and I asked her the most important family question... and the answer was:

She didn't vote for Trump.

There is still hope. Thumbsup

*Whew*

I thought the question was going to be "Was I adopted?"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 23:03 jdreyer

RoboNerd wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 20:23:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:22:
Wow... rest in piece, Chuck Berry. You were a pioneer of rock music.

Right on, (well, except it's peace not piece) I've always felt Chuck didn't get the accolades he deserved. George Thorogood always gave him his due. I believe this is a quote from George on Chuck Berry: “the most important rock guitarist of all time. He’s the man. He’s the link between blues and rock and roll. He never gets enough credit for it.” Guitarist

Not enough credit? Really? Even though six decades after his accomplishments he's still got sky-high name recognition? I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, I'm just surprised you'd say that.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 23:00 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:54:
Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:25:
And watching that nuke was amazing. Just think, sometime in the next 4 years you're going to have the opportunity to see these going off all over the world by the thousands. I think this would be a good time to crowdfund a Vaultec style company.

And imagine that these nukes are just not good enough anymore.

Trump Trump Binks: Meesah need biggah boomers!
Pu Pu Tinks: Meesah have even big big biggah boomers!!!

And suddenly, I need a map with a route to Vault 13.

Okay, that Binks stuff was pretty funny.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2017, 22:58 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:25:
Yeah, always loved Chuck's music.

And watching that nuke was amazing. Just think, sometime in the next 4 years you're going to have the opportunity to see these going off all over the world by the thousands. I think this would be a good time to crowdfund a Vaultec style company.

You may as well start doing your homework.

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 22:50 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:56:

I'll wait for someone to have a real reply to my argument that Bethesda has had far worse, for far longer, and never one mention of it. And "well, that's what people expect" ISN'T A COUNTER-ARGUMENT.

Dude, Bethesda's facial graphics and animations have been so bad for so long you just have to say the word "Bethesda" and everyone knows you mean "shittily drawn faces with crappy animation." I remember reading about it in print media, back when that was a thing. Here's a post from six years ago. Here's another.

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 22:41 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 12:00:
They HAD a facial animator? Really? Did he just take 4 days a week off?

They were short on testers, so they repurposed him.

41. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 22:37 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:42:
Echo Red Park wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:54:
Gee, I hope this doesn't push back the game's release date.

LOL, what the hell am I talking about?! Like this game will ever get finished...
They had an office collator, named Milton Waddams, that reportedly lost his stapler, and it set release date back several months.

Well, the actual problem was that they're a paperless office. Took months to rectify the lost stapler with the lack of paper. After that, Milton was giving a place on the testing team.

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 22:34 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 11:58:
Seriously, someone who knows: How much work is it to switch from one API to another?

Good software engineering practices are in short supply however. If you're working for the in-house code shop for a company that is in some non-tech related industry, then chances are your software engineering practices consist of "Here's your deadline, regardless of technical feasibility or the time necessary to do it right: get something that (barely) works by then, and we'll fix any problems later (but later will never arrive). Then, as your codebase accumulates more and more problems, and gets more and more neglected, it will become harder and harder to make any forward progress, so in response we'll hire some barely competent contractors to 'help' you out, primarily by committing breaking changes to your production codebase and generally not knowing jack shit about computer science fundamentals or software engineering best practice."

I'm sure that CIG is applying best practices: 10 automated unit tests for each method written. That's why it's taking them so long!

39. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 22:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:58:
So, in a couple of months we'll see the announcement that this is taking a lot more time and costing a lot more than they thought it would and this will set the game back another year or two and they'll need to raise at least another $10 million - initially - to make this happen.

You can bank on this happening. Oh well, fools and their money are soon parted.

They don't have to ask for more money. People keep throwing them cash whether they're asking for it or not.

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
24. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 18, 2017, 19:06 jdreyer

GTAV is pretty regularly half off. And IIRC they did a ton of custom work on the PC version. I personally wouldn't pay 60 but it isn't like they halfassed the port.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 18, 2017, 18:59 jdreyer

They're kind of low res for that. Still HAL9000 is coming real.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2017, 14:06 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:54:
Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 19:31:
Point in fact you're probably one of the smartest guys around here.

Take it to private and get a room.

You like watch brah?

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Mar 18, 2017, 14:00 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 12:52:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:42:
El Pit wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:20:
The Kinks are as important to Brit music as the Beatles, Stones, Who! This is a very deserved knighthood!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. NO love for Bowie? No love for Mercury??

Queen happened about a decade later and their music shows the influence of the great bands of the 60s, so I wouldn't put them on the Brit Rock/Pop pioneer bands list.

Bowie was great, but he was a solo artist. When it just comes to the music and the influence on later decades, then of course he belongs up there with Beatles, Stones, Kinks. Pink Floyd. No doubt about that.

First of all, you said "Brit music." As far as I recall, solo acts are still musicians. Nor is the definition of "Brit music" restricted to music before 1970.

Second, Queen and Bowie are contemporaries of the Stones and Kinks. Even if those latter bands got their starts a bit earlier, all of them did their best most influential work in the 1970s. They all influenced each other, although Queen in particular took more inspiration from not only contemporaries, but also more classical forms of music.
Beatles 1960 - 1970
Stones 1962–present
Kinks 1964–1996
Queen 1970–present
Bowie 1962–2016
Pink Floyd 1965–1995

Lastly, neither of us mentioned Led Zep!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
16. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 18, 2017, 13:27 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:56:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 04:47:

Speaking of capital ship combat, I thought The Expanse had a pretty good read on how space combat might unfold, even if I had a few nits to pick.

The second season is even better than the first. Better yet, if you enjoy reading, get the original novels the series is based on. It's still space opera, but the writing is great, the characters even better, and the science fiction is pretty hardcore, at least up until the point where it stops being the primary focus of the series. (As with any good fiction, the setting is not the primary draw).

Yeah, I have that series on my shortlist.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 05:42 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 01:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 21:34:
Racism against whites certainly exists but I'm not seeing anything particularly awful in his tweets.

Because I didn't post the more severe stuff like this gem. "The real terrorists are already on American soil and they are white" Here's the backup in case he ever decides to delete this Twitter post.

I don't know how anyone can interpret that in any other way than precisely what it means. He's literally saying ALL white people are terrorists on the same level as Al-Qaeda and ISIS individuals who brutally murder people. It's outrageously awful and has no place in the real world, much less business. He needs to go. The sooner EA and BioWare clean house of these societal parasites, the better. Gaming is getting "progressively" bad, and real bad in the last year or so. I just want to play games and have amazing adventures. I don't want the political stuff. I hate politics.
Actually, no. How do you go from "The real terrorists are already on American soil and they are white" to "all white people are terrorists?" The fact is between 2001 and today, white right wing terrorists have killed more people than Islamic extremists. And white supremacists have infiltrated law enforcement. So no, the vast majority of white people are not terrorists, but white extremism exists in the US, and is emboldened by Trump's election. It's a shame you don't read the news, or you would have caught wind of it: attacks on Jewish institutions and cemeteries, attacks on Indians under the incorrect assumption they are Arabic, among others. The reason EA stands by the tweets is that they are factually correct.

Lastly, while I'm no huge fan of the games EA produces or how they produce them, the fact is EA is among the most tolerant and diverse workplaces in the nation.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 05:12 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:24:
Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 16:46:
FTFY, brah.

I don't need ideological reasons to skip this mess. I really don't care if the ugly chicks are because BioWare wants to protest the sexualization of women in video games, or they just have crappy artists. They're ugly models with janky animations and a bland story. Pass!

Please don't fix my words.

Let me help you understand the difference between ideology and racism. As the name implies "ideology" is a system of ideas and ideals that form the basis for economic, political theory, and general policy (e.g. "I think it would be ideal to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour"). Racism is not ideology. It's pure, undiluted hatred. More specifically, it is "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." Ironically, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I am not irate with Manveer Heir for his overt racism. He has free will to do whatever he wishes. What I have a problem with is BioWare (and by extension EA) keeping him employed when they know of his constant racist and violent expressions: For example, "Justice is not the same as legal. The law is not always just. The US deserves no peace until it acts upon the moral imperative to be just." https://archive.is/AyFkk
Um, you do realize that the law is not always just, right? Remember the Jim Crow laws? Remember the Fugitive Slave Act? Remember fucking slavery, the legally enshrined definition of human beings as property? Jesus H Christ dude, what are you on about?

If BioWare and EA, as part of their culture, support and condone the employment of people who express incredibly hateful rhetoric, I will not reward their bad behavior. It benefits you to know the significance between ideology and racism.
Why are you a gamist? Being prejudicial against Bioware is adopting the same behavior as those you rail against.

Update: From Twitter: "According to @manveerheir, he has the support of Bioware top management for his comments on twitter." Image posted for proof. Yeah, so I won't be buying BioWare products as long as they continue to support racism towards a group of people. Very sad.

Really, dude. You need to think this through and explain yourself because you're making no sense.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 18, 2017, 04:50 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:57:
descender wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 19:18:
The image was not rendered on Yahoo or Bing, according to the documents

What the flying fuck does that even mean?

It means these retards think that because they couldn't find the picture on Bing or Yahoo that the perp MUST have used Google.

Sounds like probable cause to me!

17947 Comments. 898 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo