Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 23318 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
68. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 12, 2018, 16:26 jdreyer

Wraith, dude.
Wraith wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 13:28:
The media is the mechanism for delivery. What you're actually purchasing is the experience.
Same as a novel.

Two things. First, it costs to print, bind and transport books.
Same with boxed games.

If Red Dead Redemption 2 costs 100 million+ to make and 86 cents to create the physical mediate then it becomes clear they need to ACTUALLY SELL a lot of copies to recoup that production cost and not have "used game resellers" siphon off profits while investing nothing themselves.
This is the corporatist position. Subverting the First Sale Doctrine is their wet dream. Game publishers would love to outlaw second-hand sales, and in fact, have largely been successful in preventing them via digital distribution and trying to claim they're "licensing" the games instead of selling them.

The used games market is a fiction where a "used game reseller" pretends they're "buying" a game by buying back the media and that this then gives them the right to resell the game and undercut the developer's copies on price.
Same thing if I buy a novel upon release, read it, and sell it to a used book dealer 24 hours later.

There's two primary issues here. The first is the failure of the legal system to catch up with the reality of digital content. I oppose software patents, but I believe developers should get paid.
The publishers are already subverting consumer rights by claiming the software is licensed not owned, by requiring online registration of game keys for single player games, making multiplayer online-only games, etc. Also, if the First Sale Doctrine went away, those devs wouldn't get paid more money. The publisher would keep anything extra. Dev contracts for AAA games are structured such that devs don't get any extra bonus unless the game sales some ridiculous and unrealistic number of copies. And of course game developers, unlike book authors and musicians, don't get royalties.

The second is the dead-shit attitudes of idiot gamers who think there's a free lunch.
Everyone on this site pays money for their games. Even if we bought used games from Gamestop, we'd still be paying money. Not sure what your "free lunch" comment means.

If people want to sell their media, I really don't care. And people selling or lending their copy of a game to someone else isn't really the issue.
But that's exactly what the story in this post is about: a guy selling his second-hand copy of a game.

The primary issue is the large-scale organised resale of "used" games. This siphons away dollars which rightfully belongs to the developers.
And yet, you can't have a First Sale Doctrine without allowing this. It's like saying you hate the First Amendment of the US Constitution because it lets neo-Nazis spout their ideology. But the first amendment is a cornerstone of our democracy, just like the First Sale Doctrine is a cornerstone of consumer protection.

Again, it's important to remember that a large percentage of the costs of manufacturing a game is to be found in putting together the data on the storage media.
Again, same with books. And yet you don't seem to have a problem with Savers and Goodwill selling second-hand books.

Reselling digital copies would kill the market completely, so I have no fear of that happening any time soon.
A European court ruled that resale of digital copies was permissible. Six years ago. And yet the game industry continues to grow by leaps and bounds. The "problem" you're describing is having no effect on the growth of the industry, in fact it probably contributes to the widespread popularity of it. The games industry has $120B in revenues last year, but is expected to have $180B by 2021.

If you're truly an advocate of developer compensation there are really two things you should be focusing on:

1. Developer unionization. Through unions, devs will be able to advocate for better pay and working conditions. Game devs are the worst compensated in the software industry.

2. Developer royalties. Requires unionization to be implemented, but would mean devs would have a more reliable income stream based on a lifetime body of work, vs. being one flop away from unemployment.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of "New" Designation
9. Re: Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of Aug 12, 2018, 15:35 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 14:51:

Do they wear a cape when doing so?

LOL, classic.

47. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 12, 2018, 03:42 jdreyer

Came here to fight the nonsense, but see y'all have done a fine job. Kudos, I'm off to have a beer. Beer Beer Or two.

I'll leave with this thought: despite resales, gaming continues to grow at 10% or so per year, as it has for the past 20 years. That is massive growth that surpasses nearly every other industry in existence.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2018, 03:25 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 16:05:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 14:53:
"Fuck you, asshole."

Glasses2
Awe geez. I thought blue was snarking with the tariff comment, shoulda known better. I work on this artists computer, he said these are the golden days of being a political cartoonists. not really, he never said that

Raise your hand if you miss having a President.

Er, sorry, I was making a Terminator reference. I should have gone with "I'll be back."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 12, 2018, 03:20 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 18:36:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 15:20:
PETA roasts Impossible Burger for rat tests, suggests patties cause cancer.

While I appreciate in theory why an organization like PETA exists, what they do in practice can often be dumb and counterproductive. It's like a police officer ticketing on a jaywalker while in view of a mugging, a carjacking, and a bank robbery.

Not saying they don't do dumb things, but they aren't focused on all the ills of the world, just on our treatment of animals. I've watched some of the videos of the factory farms and that shit is hideous, so I can't blame them for fighting against stuff like that.

I don't think the cop metaphor works at all. They aren't cops and don't have a responsibility to police all crime. They are focused on a specific area that law enforcement generally ignores.

My point is that within the realm of animal cruelty there are a plethora of things more damaging and dangerous to animals: factory farming techniques, bycatch, shark finning, cock and dog fighting, animal hoarders, ivory and bush meat trade, etc. Focusing on a company trying to do its best to produce a vegan patty that imitates meat could entice thousands who like eating meat but are open to trying something healthier for themselves and the environment if they don't have to give up that much to do so (looking at you, tempeh).

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2018, 03:12 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 18:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 17:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 17:41:
Ah, didn't consider they might be edible, makes sense. Are they actually cultivated anywhere?
Millions of manicured lawns the world over.
Is that a "no"?

I've seen them for sale at farmers markets.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2018, 15:20 jdreyer

PETA roasts Impossible Burger for rat tests, suggests patties cause cancer.

While I appreciate in theory why an organization like PETA exists, what they do in practice can often be dumb and counterproductive. It's like a police officer ticketing on a jaywalker while in view of a mugging, a carjacking, and a bank robbery.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2018, 15:33.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 11, 2018, 15:01 jdreyer

The 10 Best Free Steam Games.

Free, but sadly none of them appeal to me.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 11, 2018, 14:53 jdreyer

"Fuck you, asshole."

Glasses2

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2018, 14:45 jdreyer

Kind of a dick title for a panel, but I think it would be useful to do a postmortem on why it failed. Other developers could benefit from the missteps made by Bosskey games.  

News Comments > IGN Review Plagiarism Follow-up
3. Re: IGN Review Plagiarism Follow-up Aug 11, 2018, 14:41 jdreyer

Welp, time to fire up the ol' GamerGate crew again, so we can Battle for ethics in game journalism.  

11. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 11, 2018, 14:32 jdreyer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 13:28:
Rhett wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 13:15:
Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous.

They're trying to "stretch" the law (or at least USSC precedent) with a creative interpretation. And they're banking on the fact that most resellers are so small that they aren't willing to litigate the question. It's the epitome of sleazy...

Yeah, love Bethesda games, but their legal team are a bunch of assholes.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
14. Re: DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer Aug 11, 2018, 05:13 jdreyer

I'm not sure they used enough red in the gameplay. Yeah... definitely need more red.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer Aug 11, 2018, 05:07 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 02:31:
Wish they would put more effort into the music, just a constant rumble sound isn't a good soundtrack.

I guess id can't afford Trent Reznor any longer.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2018, 00:11 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 22:06:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 18:30:
Lieutenant Uhura has "moderate progressive dementia."
That's a shame. One of my favorite Nichelle Nichols stories is she was considering/planning on quitting the show. She attended a Martin Luther King event. She met MLK and was surprised to find out he was a fan. She told him she was considering leaving and he told her she couldn't, she was too important of a role model to leave. So, she stayed on.

Great call by MLK. It lead to this, and more importantly inspired 1000s of black women to pursue STEM careers.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2018, 21:53 jdreyer

Stan Lee Retires from All Public and Convention Signings.

Isn't he a bit young to be retiring?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2018, 21:45 jdreyer

My Dallas friend told me it hot 112 in Dallas last week.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 10, 2018, 21:07 jdreyer

NicklePop wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:03:
Censorship has historically been a great idea, kudos CNN

Completely agree. When CNN has stories about Stormy Daniels, they censor themselves by not showing her explicit videos. Shame!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
40. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2018, 14:39 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 11:22:
Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 11:14:
Wikileaks has come out in defense of Info Wars. Not out of principle, but defending the merit of the actual content they produce.

Remember when Wikileaks was reputable and not just trying to smear western nations at the behest of the Russians?

Assange always had an agenda, but it definitely got worse and more destructive once Wikileaks became an arm of the GRU.

Was his agenda to bang Swedish chicks?

News Comments > Blizzard Teases "Multiple Diablo Projects"
16. Re: Blizzard Teases Aug 10, 2018, 14:36 jdreyer

Cram wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 17:00:
Icewind wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 05:11:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 01:58:
What I'd really like to see is Diablo FPS. I want to shoot firebolts and chain lightning at demons!

Hellgate London?

That didn't go so well.

Flagshipped
It worked for Heretic and Hexen. I bet Blizzard would make a kick-ass game in this genre.

23318 Comments. 1166 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo