Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 24260 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2018, 12:09 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 21:37:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 19:10:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 16:13:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 12:46:
Nice jacks! Ahoy

So we are thinking Nov 21 for the big holiday sales to start?

Games or everything? Steam BF sale is no great shakes - really none of their sales are anymore. I generally end up buying from GOG, Fanatical, GMG, et al. now. I need to buy a new TV so I'm waiting for CM - you have to be on serious drugs to go out to stores on BF IMO. Still looking for recs for TVs - brands - if anyone has them. So far I'm leaning toward a Samsung QLED this time around. 49" QLED for a grand? I'd buy that for a dollar! Reallly postiive review on it here...

Samsung Q9 4K UHD QLED TV - Hands On Review

I'm not seeing the Q9 in 49" size, looks like 65" and 75" only.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-tv-models-price-3367473

depending on your usage this site does extensive tests on things that most sites don't, like input lag if you intend on using it for PC gaming or *gag* console gaming.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018

edit: another good resource for input lag

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

not all panel sizes have the same specs so in the case of a samsung 49" vs the 55", the 55" panel can support 120hz but the 49" does not.

Ahh thanks for catching that. I deffo want 120hz so I'll go up to the 55" if I must.
The QLED I was looking at the other day was 240 hz.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Reaches Beta
6. Re: DayZ Reaches Beta Nov 8, 2018, 11:34 jdreyer

What's the viability of this genre over, say, the BR genre?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2018, 21:37 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 19:54:
Are we done with the Diablo shenanigans?

Hey, thanks for reminding me to check the thread. Looks like it's doubled since i last checked it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2018, 21:25 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 18:41:
I haven't had a Robocall in nearly a year now... bless GDPR
Damn Europeans. Why do you hate capitalism?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2018, 18:39 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 16:13:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 12:46:
Nice jacks! Ahoy

So we are thinking Nov 21 for the big holiday sales to start?

Games or everything? Steam BF sale is no great shakes - really none of their sales are anymore. I generally end up buying from GOG, Fanatical, GMG, et al. now. I need to buy a new TV so I'm waiting for CM - you have to be on serious drugs to go out to stores on BF IMO. Still looking for recs for TVs - brands - if anyone has them. So far I'm leaning toward a Samsung QLED this time around. 49" QLED for a grand? I'd buy that for a dollar! Reallly postiive review on it here...

Samsung Q9 4K UHD QLED TV - Hands On Review

The colors on the QLED are fantastic, but the OLED has great colors and true black.

News Comments > Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement
45. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:56 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 14:07:
People who complain that others are "over-reacting" (and I assume you mean just the ones downvoting videos and posting angry comments on forums, not the shitbags harassing people and sending death threats cuz, you know, fuck them) always surprise me a little. Surely if you've been a gamer for more than 6 months you know that gamers don't need a whole lot to get their knickers in a twist over something. Whether you call that righteous anger, entitlement, passion, or an over-reaction depends a lot on your perspective, but that's neither here nor there. Two things that you have to remember are

1) Any publisher of any status whatsoever knows better than any of us how little it takes to set off a community. The smart publisher takes steps to mitigate that, hence the suggestion that even a D4 flashed on the stage screen for a few seconds could have nipped all of this in the bud. Blizzard screwed up, period.

2) Publishers have become such monolthic, unwieldy behemoths that it is hard for gamers to even get their attention. Far harder than it used to be given how large the gaming community has become. Things like the Battlefield 5 'realism' backlash after the initial trailer reveal and Blizzard's current self-inflicted shitstorm, while easily labeled as unreasonable over-reaction in a vacuum, are one of the few surefire ways to get publishers attention. Well reasoned, calm responses just don't get it done; overreaction is practically required at this point if you want to let a publisher know that you are unhappy.

Exacerbating the problem is that publishers and especially games media are notorious for handling what should be easily predictable backlashes so poorly that they end up making the backlashes far worse than if they had just shut up and said nothing. Gamergate grew much worse with all of the stupid "gamers are misogynist children" articles, backlash against EA's Battlefield 5 trailer got worse with Sunderland's idiotic "accept it or don't buy it" response, and Blizzard's rep yelling at the crowd "Don't you people have phones!?" at the booing crowd (completely and utterly missing the point) is a new level of stupid.

Backlashes are almost always overblown. Welcome to large group dynamics 101. Smart players in an industry take steps beforehand to ensure they either don't happen in the first place or are greatly lessened than what the backlash might have been otherwise, and they issue measured, moderate responses to the angry mob instead of fueling the fire further by responding with inflammatory rhetoric. It seems as though, based on recent history on gaming over the last few years, the gaming industry has a shortage of smart players.

Perfectly stated, Prez. Thank you.

44. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:31 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 02:49:
SirKnight wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 23:38:
Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 19:16:
Jesus, get over it already. You'd think they'd raped your grandma or something form some of the insane reactions.

The reactions are not insane and are perfectly understandable. What's insane is how clueless and radical you always are. Blue must have an enormous amount of restraint to not have banned you long ago.

Watch this video from boogie, as he goes into detail why the reaction is what it is and why it's NOT insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEuOkdidhk&t=0s

And go get some mental help. Seriously.

Hyperbole is the name of Cutter's magic sword in his highschool DnD campaign, and I can see why Blue called him out. I've been guilty of it myself but it voices a very real frustration I also have with entitlement culture that Cutter is trying to get across here.

I mean, what happened to us? A few ribald comments in a text chat in Actionquake seemed all well and fine at the time but it's ballooned into this whining, screeching tempest of stupidity and toxic masculinity that is eating up people as they grow into it and making the whole enterprise seem like a sick joke that exists solely to tax the socially inept.

And I love boogie as much as anyone but he built his rep on unjustified overreaction to insignificant nonsense. Which is what this is. If you are some kind of Blizzard cultist that hangs the hope they have for their eternal soul on every announcement and gospel coming out of a convention then you are in far more desperate need of help than Cutter.

I mean, mobile games are mostly trash, but so are most games on Steam! So is most TV, anime, books, 98% flaming piles of garbage! I can't think of any exception to this rule other than maybe alcohol? Still plenty of trash there as well!

But they make money, and why wouldn't they? Someone found a type of game that most people have the hardware for (Phones) the time for (basically anywhere, anytime), cash for (From zero to infnitiy) and experience for (Very little). It's not an expensive investment of financial, skill or time capital. Why shouldn't a big publisher try to cash in their IP in this realm?

Consoles are one step up, and I know plenty see them as not much better than phones, but think about how so many of the regulars here struggle to shoot people in a controller FPS (I have 2 60 year olds struggling with this in BF1 on xbox right now, but they are rapidly getting the hang of it!) It's tricky isn't it? Ever tried to talk your mum through a driver update, or even a GOG download over the phone? Well for most humans, our hobby is way more difficult and expensive than that jump.

Games for 'us' have never been better. Battletech, Into the Breach, God of War, that F/A-18 module for DCS, Red Dead 2 is looking pretty solid as well. I don't think I've ever played so many 50 hour full-meat games in one year! They are not drying up. With Factorio and Kerbal in recent years I feel they have never been better or more numerous. It doesn't make sense why people are so mad.

That Blizzard are not bringing the thunder is nothing new. They are not really in the risk-taking business. Most recent hits? Damage control on a failed project (Overwatch) a highly polished micro-transaction engine (Hearthstone, a game that plays identically on mobile). Console ports of Diablo 3. They exist to make money. They have valuable IP that they need to put to work in the 12 years between numbered sequels that they wont build until they can think of a way to put in an auction house that wont upset people in them. Warcraft and WoW were polished versions of games other people worked out how to build first. They might be the hackiest of the big developers. What is most shocking is that they didn't try this years ago.

It's not what they did, but how they did it.

43. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:29 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 23:50:
geez, even a cinematic trailer of Diablo 4 would kick everyone into a positive frenzy, even if development is not actually happening.

No kidding, right?

"Blah blah Tryael blah blah Horadrim blah blah Deckard Cain."
A million happy fans.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2018, 16:20 jdreyer

Physicists report electron is round—what does that mean?

I don't believe it. I'm going to start a group to oppose this research:
The Flat Electron Society

I'm going to build a steam powered electron microscope that will prove it. Please contribute to my Patreon. Thanks.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2018, 13:10 jdreyer

ldonyo wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 10:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2018, 10:12:
Someone in the disconnected house needs their pee pee slapped. [insert cheech and chong clip here]

The driver of the getaway car is just as guilty as the corner watchout.

No, AT&T needs to wait until infringement is proved before disconnecting anyone. Innocent before being proven guilty and all that. Taking the lazy way out is not acceptable and should not be tolerated.

The family can just switch to another ISP. There's lots of choices.

Oh, wait...

The practice harkens back to feudal Japan, where if one family member committed a crime bad enough, they would execute the entire family.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2018, 13:08 jdreyer

Foxconn Denies Report That It May Bring Workers From China for Wisconsin Plant.

That whole hold-them-prisoner-and-install-suicide-nets thing would run afoul of some American laws.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2018, 13:05 jdreyer

Facebook’s unsend feature will give you 10 minutes to delete a message.

Whereas Blue's lets you delete a message whenever you like.

Blues, the better Facebook.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2018, 03:07 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 20:29:
For those wanting to see the video, I dug it out with Element Inspector:

It's here.

Still takes forever to load. FB streaming suuuuucks.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Nov 7, 2018, 02:55 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 20:15:
Well if they are turned into Nazi's that watch The Man In The High Castle and in turn it causes amazon to make a 4th season, then I'm all for it.
I'm really loving the shit out of that show.

Watched the first epi of S1, but it didn't grab me.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2018, 02:52 jdreyer

More charitably, he saw the way the election was headed and is trying to reform his image.

He's nothing if not a loyalty-free hack who will work nuzzle up to those in power.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 7, 2018, 02:49 jdreyer

What Does It Take to Keep a Classic Mainframe Alive?

We're in the process of shutting down our mainframe at work. My main project is migrating functionality and data to Client Server system. Spent the whole day working on some gnarly SQL queries. Dead Lately to keep the primary mainframe operating, we've had to source hardware from eBay.

Our backup mainframe is virtualized out in TX.

News Comments > OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Shambles Out
2. Re: OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Shambles Out Nov 7, 2018, 02:44 jdreyer

OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Shambles Out

No love for fast zombies?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2018, 18:08 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 14:11:
China's one child policy works amazing well. Don't kid yourself that it won't happen around the rest of the world. As people understand the potential for a Malthusian Crisis is very real with current and predicted overpopulation the vast majority of people will demand such a policy be enacted everywhere. And even if it never comes to pass economics will force that to be the case.

And jobs repairing robots? Um no, robots will be doing that too.

The resource crisis will hit poor countries well before it hits the US or Canada.

News Comments > Blizzard Denies Pulling Diablo 4 Tease
16. Re: Blizzard Denies Pulling Diablo 4 Tease Nov 6, 2018, 18:03 jdreyer

Avus wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 12:17:
Stupid Blizzard fans pay stupid $$ for the stupid Blizzcon, of course Blizzard is going to milk them. Blizzard is the EXPERT on milking.

So THAT'S why Diablo always has a cow level!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 6, 2018, 13:57 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 07:54:
I would buy a second tier RTX 2070 for 450 Euro, but definitely not for 519. The price-value ratio is way off!

What's the best price/value ratio currently?

24260 Comments. 1213 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo