Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 21130 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested
35. Re: Re: Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested Jan 16, 2018, 17:03 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 15:27:
NKD wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 14:40:
Timmeh wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 13:19:

Good point... but the democrats love them some Chinese communism,... so its always possible we could see that added here. its probably a hate crime.

If you use a cheat in a game against someone of a non white race.. is that a hate crime?

You might laugh or scorn this... but... it aint that far fetched as crazy as the left is.

I don't know about the cheating, but your retarded ass posts are probably a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Giggle

Luke wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 12:22:
Humans fuck everything up....apes eat bananas..who is further in evolution

Can't argue with that.

Can we not turn this into another stupid political tug-o-war, please? I'm so sick of seeing 'liberal trash'-this and 'conservative-ass' that, it's everywhere. Yesterday, some discussion on the first UFO sighting of the year (in Mexico, and it looks legit) devolved into back and forth bickering about Trump, Obama and whether America was trash now or before. I'm so very close to not getting online at all anymore because you can't escape it, no matter where you go.

Anyway, this happening in China doesn't surprise me much. When it starts happening here, th byen I'll start worrying. What's the saying? 'When they came for my Chinese comrades, I said nothing. When they came for my Korean friends, I told no one. When they finally shut down PUBG, it was too late to do anything, so I played Overwatch instead'...

=-Rigs-=
Also, Rigs: you were just talking about Trump in the Legal thread.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 16:58 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 14:40:
NKD wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:11:
Kid was afraid of getting an injection so the parents didn't take him to the doctor until he was already hallucinating and convulsing. Can't imagine what it's like to beat yourself up over that...

It's a terrible, terrible story...

Never underestimate the power of doubt. Parents probably doubted it had rabies and that their son was infected. Also, maybe some lack of knowledge of rabies is to blame as well.

I feel bad for those people, they most likely lost their world.
I think rabies has passed out of common knowledge largely. When I was a kid, rabies would come up several times a year and my dad even shot dead a rabid raccoon. But I haven't heard anyone talk about it for years.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 16:52 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 12:25:
Cosplay looks like the embarrassing and creepy side of gaming culture.

Cosplay is awesome. Unless you cosplay as Hitler. That's not cool.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 16:50 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:55:
So I purchased Grim Dawn via the Steam Winter Sale. Other than wearing out my index finger, is there a point to this game?

Weren't you fascinated by the deep, complex characters and rich, detailed plot?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2018, 15:58 jdreyer

Really good VR article.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2018, 15:49 jdreyer

The algorithm method no more reliable than the rhythm method?

Heh.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 16, 2018, 15:48 jdreyer

Rumor- Latest South Park Title Coming To Nintendo Switch.

Because Nintendo, it will come with the V-chip installed.

"Say, 'Big floppy donkey dick.'"
Cartman: "NO!"

30. Re: Re: Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested Jan 16, 2018, 15:40 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 15:27:
NKD wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 14:40:
Timmeh wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 13:19:

Good point... but the democrats love them some Chinese communism,... so its always possible we could see that added here. its probably a hate crime.

If you use a cheat in a game against someone of a non white race.. is that a hate crime?

You might laugh or scorn this... but... it aint that far fetched as crazy as the left is.

I don't know about the cheating, but your retarded ass posts are probably a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Giggle

Luke wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 12:22:
Humans fuck everything up....apes eat bananas..who is further in evolution

Can't argue with that.

Can we not turn this into another stupid political tug-o-war, please? I'm so sick of seeing 'liberal trash'-this and 'conservative-ass' that, it's everywhere. Yesterday, some discussion on the first UFO sighting of the year (in Mexico, and it looks legit) devolved into back and forth bickering about Trump, Obama and whether America was trash now or before. I'm so very close to not getting online at all anymore because you can't escape it, no matter where you go.

Anyway, this happening in China doesn't surprise me much. When it starts happening here, then I'll start worrying. What's the saying? 'When they came for my Chinese comrades, I said nothing. When they came for my Korean friends, I told no one. When they finally shut down PUBG, it was too late to do anything, so I played Overwatch instead'...

=-Rigs-=

Rigs, Rigs, Rigs. Not Overwatch. Fortnite Battle Royale!

28. Re: Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested Jan 16, 2018, 15:36 jdreyer

aka_STEVE wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 15:24:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm all for creators/ sellers of cheats getting arrested and put away to stop the madness.
I just am not sure China will actually crackdown in any serious nature on someone bilking a bunch of videogame nerds in other countries out of Millions ...

I'm thinking in less than a month most of them are out , doing it all over again & again & again ....

China's economy is becoming more and more domestic. They're starting to get their own IP and are enforcing these kinds of laws more. It's in their best interest. They're much less the pariah they were, although they still have tons of corporate espionage going on against foreign companies.

26. Re: Chinese PUBG Cheat Creators Arrested Jan 16, 2018, 15:31 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:09:
scary world we live in now where you can get arrested for cheating in a video game.

That's just Fucked up. There is no other way to put it.

You can be arrested for cheating at a video game in the US: video poker, or video slots, for example.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Democrats are just one vote shy of restoring net neutrality. Jan 16, 2018, 15:22 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:23:
Prez wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 11:05:
SlimRam wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 10:44:
This is a bit misleading.

They still need 1 more Repub senate vote to pass this, THEN they need the same bill to pass the House, THEN they have to get the Prez to sign it.... sooooooooo, yeah.

Don't worry about me - I'd sign it in a heartbeat.
HEHEHE! Dude, if you were the president I imagine a lot more of us would be happy right now
If Prez were president, everyone would get a free game for voting on election day!

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 03:54 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 11:00:
In this age of satellites, hacking, and drones, is there really still a need for a hypersonic spy aircraft? I'm sure given how insanely expensive they'll be that Boeing and the Air Force would argue they are.

Both Boeing and LockMart are proposing drones for the hypersonic spy aircraft. That should help keep the cost down a bit.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 03:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 17:18:
If people think it can't get worse than Trump they're dead wrong.
Well, sure: Hitler, Stalin, etc. Surprised you didn't bring up Hitler yourself.

And it's the elites both left and right that only have themselves to blame for it.
"Both sides do it!" False equivalency.

Between the right trying to steal everything not nailed down and the left trying to forcibly shove PC bullshit down everyone else's throats something has to give.
Again, false equivalency. That's like saying a parking ticket is the same as a murder.

We saw the beginning of that sort of reaction with the assholes at G20 summits. Then Occupy. Then Trump. And it will continue. Yes those first two things don't line up with Trump but they're indicative of an unfolding pattern. Of history repeating itself.
You do realize that G20 protests and Occupy were a direct response to, as you put it, "the right trying to steal everything?" And Trump's election had very little to do with those two movements, and much more to do with the election of the first black president, the loss of unskilled labor jobs to automation, the codification of gay rights, economic instability caused by the aftermath of the 2008 crash, 25 years of the right painting Hillary as an awful person, Comey, etc. etc.

Study enough history and you've seen this played out a 1000 times before and you know exactly where it's headed and where it will end.
Hard to say. Modern technology has sort of changed the rules of the game.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 03:38 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 22:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 19:44:
While things are certainly better than they were -- the lack of progress is really quite astounding and not understood by many/most of the white population. States are still passing laws and changing voting rules which have been proved in a court of law to be racially motivated against minorities. And then there are the actions of clowns like Joe Arpaio, which are more common than most are willing to admit. The amount of progress we've made in the last 50 years is maybe 25-50% of what needs to be accomplished. It is going to be a long, hard road.

It's really unfortunate the number of people who think racism and discrimination are no longer an issue. You can't work on solving a problem if a good portion of the population won't admit it exists. It's now an acceptable mainstream opinion to be against civil rights and anti-discrimination laws because they "harm freedom of association" and "the problem they fix doesn't exist anymore."

That was the court's argument for gutting the Voting Rights Act. "We're post racial!" said a bunch of white guys. Yet you still read stories of black precincts only have two voting machines to service 50,000 voters while a white suburban precinct will have 100 machines. And voter ID laws coming back. And voter roll purges coming back. Etc. Etc.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2018, 03:34 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 18:15:
I understand what is taught in our history and the concepts of civil rights. I do question the truth of what is taught to us .. if it's a reality or a fantasy. As soon as there is mention of 'rights' be it civil or natural, one should always question them because the arrow of justice can be pointed in different directions using the same exact language with a different intention or meaning. Hence, my question of what is considered violence, is similar to when asking what is a human right. As defined by the victors of a struggle or something more fundamental? That sort of thing. I hope I'm not sounding crazy.

What you're asking is "The idea of peaceable assembly is great in theory, but does it hold up in practice?" The answer is a resounding "YES." The civil rights marchers were peaceably assembling, and the violent local government response was illegally violating their rights. In his case, you needed federal troops to protect them, but that is very rarely the case.

There are protests daily in this country, few of which ever make the news. Almost none are disrupted by violence. The fact that some use violence to disrupt a peaceful protest or assembly does not make the protest violent. The opposition chose to illegally use violence. The protesters were still peaceful.

Take the 2017 Women's March, for example. It's estimated 5 million people participated across the USA, estimated to be the largest single protest in US history. Zero arrests.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2018, 03:13 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 20:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 14:37:

One of the problems with Vista that I got from someone who worked on it that isn't mentioned in the article: They invested way too much in automated testing instead of manual testing. That's how a lot of bugs made it into the production release.

Any idea what the context is for that? Because automated testing and manual testing are complementary: what automated testing tends to find, manual testing tends to have a hard time finding, and vice-versa. Likewise, automated unit and integration testing tends to be done by software engineers as they write their own code, where as manual testing tends to be done by QA engineers and testers.

For context, about 55% of the lines of code I write are automated unit and integration tests for the other 45%. In fact, my most recent change to the code base was 600 lines implementing an end-to-end test on one of the endpoints I had been developing, i.e. it was purely an automated test and wasn't production code at all.

Sure, today you're doing TDD, and it's widely accepted that the overhead created by writing unit tests pays for itself. However, back in 2004-2005 when MS was writing Vista, most companies and developers didn't believe in that. Companies were doing automated UI testing, not unit tests. And automation can only do what it's coded for vs. a human being that can catch any kind of issue on a run through, although automation is much faster. But if you skimp on manual testing, especially exploratory testing in a brand new O/S, you're going to miss a ton of shit. And as I understand it, that is what happened.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 16, 2018, 02:32 jdreyer

Fion wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 11:46:
I really can't stand most 'hot people hospital' shows, let alone 'hot people cops' or 'hot people lawyers' shows. Granted, I also hate reality TV, so that makes about 9/10ths of all US television outside my interests.
What about 'hot people sci-fi' shows? Because there are a few good ones.

As to the harvard study, I feel that now that net neutrality is basically dead (for now), community broadband is our best alternative. That is if the FCC and cable companies don't kill it too.
The ISPs have stabbed community broadband to death in about half the states already, by buying politicians to pass "no community internet" laws.

News Comments > Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues
9. Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 16, 2018, 02:20 jdreyer

Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 17:35:
Ha those pictures cannot be ignored and are not so easily explained away.

Any company with any kind of HR department or care about this issue would have put a stop to this within three of those photos being created and disseminated. That the creator was allowed to create hundreds speaks volumes about the culture at this company.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Royale's Success
1. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Royale's Success Jan 15, 2018, 20:03 jdreyer

I might give this a shot, given that it's free to play.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2018, 15:00 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 14:03:
I quote sadly dead philosopher Richard Rorty right back at you

Members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers themselves desperately afraid of being downsized are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking for a strongman to vote for someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots

The thing is that a lot of those "suburban white-collar workers" unwilling to be taxed were in large part the ones who got Trump elected, in addition to the unskilled workers. Trump won suburban voters by 5 points.

21130 Comments. 1057 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo