Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 20398 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 17, 2017, 14:46 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 08:49:
Rigs wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 23:09:
On the 'Cutter Scale of Assholery', I give that 6 'eh's' out of 10. Come on, Cutter, you're slippin!
Yeah, it was lame.

Funny thing is I clearly remember Cutter making disparaging comments about Trudeau.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:43 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:20:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:22:
Gotta agree with Cutter. These kinds of technologies will herald in great improvements in safety, efficiency, and cost, while creating a new class of poor, unemployed workers. If the government doesn't proactively address it (something it's been very poor at doing in the past several decades) it's a recipe for massive social unrest, the kind we haven't seen since the civil rights era.

Trucker is already a bad job. As in a really bad job. Well paying, but keeps people from their families for significant lengths of time (which may be a benefit to some), has them work dangerous hours, has huge penalties for things often beyond their control, etc.

I don't know how we help truckers today, but there's a good reason to make sure we don't have any new truckers.
Sitting for extended periods is also really bad for your health. Maybe they should have standing trucker cabs.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 14:37 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:33:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:20:
Now that it's released, can someone who is playing this comment on how fully bots are implemented? Every game type?

The only bot mode is Arcade, and they're just really small hoard survival games. Think Missions from the 2015 one.

Don't expect any sort of challenge from the AI in the single player campaign, raising the difficulty just turns up the bullet sponge effect.

They'e only hinted that other modes will get bot support in 2018, but you have to understand they don't want you playing offline. They need people playing the online portion in grind mode to keep it alive otherwise they can't sell you "booster packs" and if people start reporting the online portion of the game is dead then the only thing left to sell the game is the single player campaign which is just "OK" at best.

Thanks DD. I don't play online much, and prefer playing bots for a bunch of reasons. They don't cheat (beyond being bullet sponges), they don't grief, and if they're crappy, well so am I.

I might pick this up on deep sale if bots are available in all modes.

26. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 14:33 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:20:
Now that it's released, can someone who is playing this comment on how fully bots are implemented? Every game type?

The only bot mode is Arcade, and they're just really small hoard survival games. Think Missions from the 2015 one.

Don't expect any sort of challenge from the AI in the single player campaign, raising the difficulty just turns up the bullet sponge effect.

They'e only hinted that other modes will get bot support in 2018, but you have to understand they don't want you playing offline. They need people playing the online portion in grind mode to keep it alive otherwise they can't sell you "booster packs" and if people start reporting the online portion of the game is dead then the only thing left to sell the game is the single player campaign which is just "OK" at best.

Thanks DD. I don't play online much, and prefer playing bots for a bunch of reasons. They don't cheat (beyond being bullet sponges), they don't grief, and if they're crappy, well so am I.

I might pick this up on sale if bots are available in all modes.

23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 14:30 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:26:
Yep, EA is going full retard by shoe-horning freemium mobile game monetization into a premium AAA title. Rewarding you with a paltry amount of in-game currency through normal gameplay that is spent on random loot boxes... That is central to this game's progression and the PRIMARY design intent is to make you dissatisfied with the slow rate you earn that shit for free, so that you want to spend money to get it faster.

Check out any of their F2P phone games and you'll see the exact same setup, complete with multiple currencies and convoluted upgrade systems. I guarantee they make the first few levels or ranks or whatever they have go by super fast and hand out loot crates like they're candy for the first couple hours, too. Then suddenly it slows way down and you're not as excited about playing, but you see the in-game shop flashing at you, "$4.99 for 3 crates, special one-time offer!" And you think, hmm, that's not too bad, maybe just this once... And you're hooked, you poor bastard.

It's why crack dealers give out their first hit for free.

22. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 14:27 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 11:46:
I'm skipping this game, but I will place my bet for when EA will reintroduce microtransactions: Before Friday, November 24th.

Since we found out that Disney was involved, I'll venture that we won't see MTs return until about a month after the release of SW Episode 8.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2017, 14:11 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:38:
Nucas wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 11:57:
so ben affleck is batman but only in "the official dc movies", and they want to make more batman movies, but with a different guy?

I think they are saying Affleck is probably done with Batman after Justice League, and whoever they pick will be the new Batman for future films. Supposedly Affleck has lost interest. Gyllenhaal isn't a terrible choice, I just hope they do a less murder happy Batman for future films. Machine gunning and missiling enemies is not the Batman way.

It's "dark and gritty." Inquisitive

Also, what was the last Zack Snyder joint in which dozens of people didn't die?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
57. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:07 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:55:
Nullity wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:22:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:29:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
We can only hope.

From the minute they announced that EA had an exclusive Star Wars license, everyone knew it was going to be a shit-show.

Well, not everyone. Disney wasn't in the know. Pretty sure during the RFP stage EA impressed Disney with their dog and pony show numbers. If Disney did their due diligence they would have found EA is one of the most loathsome companies, and THE most loathsome in the video game industry.

Except they don't care about any of that. They care about shareholder value. Leasing the SW IP to EA is free money.

56. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:06 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 09:59:
no competitive game can be competitive with pay2win. either everyone has the same equipment or it's not competitive. pretty simple

Let's say you can buy upgrades outright, or grind for them. What's a reasonable amount of grinding to be able acquire +20% damage mod for a weapon? An hour?

55. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:00 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 04:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:59:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

CD Projekt Red. Any company that can employ over a 1,000 people to work on a single game (Witcher 3) and can publish it themselves, can handle a franchise like Star Wars.

I have no doubt that CDPR can make a *great* SW game. The question I asked though was, can they make Disney money? There are some conflicts here:
- CDPR only turns out a game every 3-4 years or so. That's not often enough for Disney.
- They also only work on one game at a time, which I'm sure Disney would like to see their SW IP more routinely exploited.
- CDPR has a no-DRM policy. Won't fly with Disney.
- CDPR is based in Poland, with an entirely different set of work and IP laws, resulting in less control for Disney.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 13:20 jdreyer

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2017, 12:31 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 08:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 08:29:
I had not heard about the Roger Stone tweet, if accurate it does raise some questions. Yeah, I was annoyed by the WaPo's description of the photo. He is not actually grabbing her breasts, although even pretending to is out of line. Glad to hear she has accepted his apology.
That was the first thing I thought when I looked at the photo. HE'S NOT EVEN TOUCHING THE BOOBIES.
So when Beamer said the photo was disgusting I was like "Wat the Wat"

Gotta love how a real human being like Al Franken has responded to the situation.
Maybe a few members of the GOP will get woke and take note. Nah, who am I kidding, that'll never happen.

Yeah, compared to Roy Moore, DJT, Clarence Thomas, this is at the low end of the scale. Some have said that maybe she just wasn't used to this kind of thing in rehearsal whereas perhaps it was more usual for Al having been in TV for decades, some kind of misunderstanding. From her description I'm not really buying it, but I do appreciate his unreserved apology and her acceptance of it. No mealy mouthed "I'm sorry people were offended" BS.

Franken may be able to weather this event, given it's "lower" severity, but if more crop up, he's sunk. Given his coke-fueled decades with SNL, I'd be surprised if there aren't more stories that crop up.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 12:22 jdreyer

Gotta agree with Cutter. These kinds of technologies will herald in great improvements in safety, efficiency, and cost, while creating a new class of poor, unemployed workers. If the government doesn't proactively address it (something it's been very poor at doing in the past several decades) it's a recipe for massive social unrest, the kind we haven't seen since the civil rights era.  

31. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 17, 2017, 03:07 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 02:57:
MrGrosser wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 14:09:
RedEye9 wrote:
This happened while he was a comedian, they do comedic things. That's why it's called comedy.

Everyone nowadays is coming out with something on everyone else. You dig deep in just about anyone's background, you're probably going to find something. And I know I'm the first to start throwing rocks, especially if they are opposite of my political views.. and I'm not trying to defend Fraken because he's a democrat and he is from my state... it's the repeat offenders that I'm worried about.
Now I'm sure some might say, grab someone by the pussy once.. that's fine. Multiple times.. now that's a beating.. but in this case.. he groped her, over a flak jacket. I'm starting to hear victim noises.

I was never really a fan of Franken as a comedian. I like him better as a senator. I think he responded well to the accusations against him.

Full text of his statement is at the bottom of the article. Easier to just read that.

He apologized, is ashamed of making a joke in such poor taste at her expense, and while he doesn't remember the kissing situation the way she describes it, has called for an ethics investigation to be opened on himself.

Normally I'd be fine with this, as it is exactly what should happen in a case like this. Something does seem rather suspicious in this case though. Tweeden says she accepts his apology, but doesn't want the ethics investigation. Roger Stone tweeted about Franken being next "in the barrel" hours before the accusation was made public. How did he find out that she was going to tweet her story?

WaPo is saying things like this in their articles: "She also posted a photo of Franken posing with his hands on her breasts as she slept."

Except he apparently didn't even touch her, but just mimed it for the picture, and certainly didn't have his hands on her breasts, as she was wearing ballistic armor. It was joke in very poor taste, which, he admits now, and says he's ashamed of, and apologized to her. So sure, call for him to take responsibility for what he did, but why claim he did something that he didn't do?

So, I say let's have the investigation and let the chips fall where they may.

And while we're at it, let's get that investigation into Trump going as well. He still has over a dozen women leveling accusations of everything from sexual harassment to rape against him, yet no investigation, no hearings, just crickets from Congress. WTF?

Get in line, buddy. I'm still waiting for Clarence fucking Thomas to step down from his post for sexual harassment.

28. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 02:02 jdreyer

robdot wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:52:
Developers now care more about monetizing the game than making a good game. Zelda is a good game,destiny,is not. Everything in these games they charge for could easily be in the game as a reward.
I would argue that developers care about making good games. It's publishers that insist they monetize the shit out of things.

27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 01:59 jdreyer

This is what eroded trust looks like and is the bottom rungs of any business. When people get to this level of angry, EA has lost far more than they would have gained with microtransactions. They should've focused on a really fun game and let the game sell itself.
I'll agree with that. But they're probably doing the calcs that show they can make twice as much with dumbasses buying DLC and MTs, so they monetize the shit out of the game, which makes a worse game of course. But they know a crack addict will still snort his crack if it's cut with Borax, so they cut with Borax.
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

In my dreams, Ken Levine makes a Star Wars game.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2017, 21:41 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 19:22:
This was retweeted by the Pentagon.
The solution is simple...
Roy Moore: Step down from the race.
Al Franken: Resign from congress.
Donald Trump: Resign from the presidency.
GOP: Stop making sexual assault a partisan issue. Itís a crime as is your hypocrisy.
That's what I call a Fair Trade.
We the people accept that casualty.

Authorized 0perator of the Pentagonís Twitter Account 2020

We'd need to include Clarence Thomas too.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2017, 15:42 jdreyer

Did anyone else hear about NFL commish Roger Goodell's contract negotiations? $50M a year and lifetime use of a private jet.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 16, 2017, 14:55 jdreyer

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 13:42:
Nobody gives half a flying fuck about Canada though. It could literally disappear from the map tomorrow morning and nobody would notice for a while. At some point, retards would start wondering what kind of socks Troudeau is wearing today, I guess, then word would get around that Canada is missing.

Hey! Don't talk about the 51st state that way! Governor Trudeau is a good man!

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 16, 2017, 14:54 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 12:33:
I will tell you now, that shipping from Wal-Mart fucking SUCKS.

Also make sure to use Blue's link on the front page for Amazon!

It's... It's as if you have a vested interest in steering people to Amazon or something. Is Jeff Bezos a blood relative?

20398 Comments. 1020 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo