Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description IT Professional
Intel Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB
8 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 7
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 18158 (Ninja)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
25. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 20:57 jdreyer

Drayth wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 19:31:
rawbelly wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 15:58:
Will I be able to trigger a "Death Blossom?"

-"It'll be a slaughter!"

-"THAT'S THE SPIRIT!"

-"No, OUR slaughter!"
Dunning Kruger effect in full blossom. Such a fun movie.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Crusade First Turn
2. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Crusade First Turn Apr 24, 2017, 20:47 jdreyer

Crazy Eddie has got deals deals DEALS!!! Come on down!

That being said, I think that this marketing serves it's purpose. I played a lot of GC2 but skipped III bc it sounded like more of the same. This expansion has me interested again. Also Stardock needs to up its game with games like Stellaris pushing the envelope.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 24, 2017, 17:13 jdreyer

chickenboo wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 10:43:
I loves me some FTL and that game involves unlocking ships by getting to sector 8 and defeating the Boss Ship, over and over and over again.

Right but the sheer number of tactical options that allows you to defeat the boss is what makes it so enjoyable. Sometimes my approach is to stock up on lasers, blast through enemy shields and destroy them. Other times its ion cannons and beam weapons. Other times it's boarding with mantis soldiers and killing the crew. Other times it's fire beams and mind control. Each ship unlock grants a new ship that allows a new tactical approach. And with each play through taking only a few hours there's lots of opportunity to try different techniques to see how certain combinations work.

Don't let me get started on the Captain's Edition mod...

12. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 14:23 jdreyer

Hold on everybody. There's something very wrong here that should give you pause:

THERE'S NO EARLY ACCESS.

How are we supposed to enjoy pining away for missing features? How are we supposed to bond over complaining about the game never finishing and the devs just taking the money and moving on? They're robbing us of these opportunities!

So you've been warned: stay away from this one.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 14:17 jdreyer

We all have our wall of shame: those great movies that we haven't gotten around to seeing yet. Top 2 on mine are Fight Club, and The Prestige. Well, only Fight Club remains because I watched The Prestige this weekend. Amazing story, amazing cast, great world building, just such a fantastic film. Easily Nolan's best film, and I say that as a huge fan of all his other work (excepting perhaps DKR)  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 14:11 jdreyer

I don't know if Blue posted it last week, but I just discovered that J. Geils passed away April 11. He was one of my favorites as a kid growing up in the 80s.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2017, 13:58 jdreyer

I thought to myself, "How did Morning Tech Bits get 4 comments so quickly?"

Now I know.

8. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 13:00 jdreyer

Looks good! Putting on wishlist and will check out reviews.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 02:17 jdreyer

RIP, Erin. Hope you've found Happy Days at last.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Apr 24, 2017, 02:06 jdreyer

Video Games Aren’t Addictive.

TL;DR:

Indeed, the biggest difference between addicts and non-addicts that the study found was that the addicts played more video games. This is a diagnosis that verges on mere tautology.

The risk here, of course, is that by treating the immoderate playing of video games as an addiction, we are pathologizing relatively normal behavior.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2017, 01:58 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 01:19:
panbient wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 20:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 19:41:
I think we're getting to the point where court rulings for things like this are ultimately pointless. "You can't have subtitles because they're illegal!" "Uh, so? I can download them from a server hosted where it isn't illegal."

How does this make any sense? It's like saying you won't be busted for having pot because you bought it in a state where it was legal to purchase as if it trumps possession laws.
No it's not, you can't be arrested for pot in a state where it's legal, by state and local authorities. Legal allows possession. So who's not making sense?

Secondly, this is a district court and in one country (out of 180+), not precedent by any means. It's only a punch to the gut IF, there are no international legal scholars, joining in the appeal.

I use subtitles, I hate missing a key word in a mystery or when alternate languages are used. Along the lines of The Expanse creating the Belter language. Afaik, many subtitles are only available for certain languages because of these sites. Meaning more people can enjoy these shows, which means more profits.
While I agree with your sentiments, I'd just like to point out that while pot is legal in some states, it's still illegal at the federal level. So in states where it's legal like Colorado, it's possible to be arrested by the Feds.

Obama instructed the DoJ to tamp this down (although they still aggressively raided dispensaries and farms during Obama). The Sessions DOJ under Trump looks to increase raids.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
28. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2017, 01:50 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 21:33:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:55:
John Deere just told the copyright office that only corporations can own property, humans can only license it.

Welcome to the corporatocracy. Here's the distillation of the article:

GM went so far as to argue locking people out helps innovation. That’s like saying locking up books will inspire kids to be innovative writers, because they won’t be tempted to copy passages from a Hemingway novel. Meanwhile, outside of Bizarroland, actual technology experts—including the Electronic Frontier Foundation—have consistently labeled the DMCA an innovation killer. They insist that, rather than stopping content pirates, language in the DMCA has been used to stifle competition and expand corporate control over the life (and afterlife) of products.

Funny, that DMCA complaint pretty much sums up the entirety of the complaints about the Canadian Radio and Tele-Communication Canadian Content laws. Initially intended to promote and support Canadian media instead it turned into "here's your once an hour Bryan Adams / Barenaked Ladies / Celine Dion / Shania Twain / Tragically Hip / Guess Who song".

New material? Oh, no no no, that would be risky and people might not instantly recognize it as inherently Canadian. If you want real success in Canadian media you bleach your white bread until it shines then tattoo a Maple Leaf on your face just the same as the old guys did decades ago.

Also, no Rush?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
27. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2017, 01:45 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 11:51:
"John Deere just told the copyright office that only corporations can own property, humans can only license it."

Hmm, is there some way to tie in the Citizens United ruling here... corporations are people, if corporations can own property, then people can own property.. seems logical to me.

It's nice being a corporation. You can do whatever you like, but never go to jail.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2017, 01:38 jdreyer

JohnQP wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 10:15:
Depends on the meat. If a bunch of humans got eaten that would have a positive effect on the environment I dare say.

Doesn't seem to be the case in Africa.

They just need to up their intake to have an effect.

News Comments > NVIDIA Flow Video
10. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 23, 2017, 23:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 15:42:
Slick wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 14:58:
Mandatory snip
Nice shortsighted and clueless rant.
Last time I checked developers made games not Nvidia.
If the devs want to include features like this you should cry to them.

Got to agree.

Seriously Slick, nVidia only PhysX implementations appeared in like 3 AAA games and was easily bypassed. In BL2 the implementation was super gimmicky. It was bett3r in Batman but still superfluous. This will be the same: some checkbox on 3 games that 5% of people will turn on.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 23:06 jdreyer

bigspender wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 19:24:
Happy Earth Day!

Remember Less Meat = Less Heat :-)

Depends on the meat. If a bunch of humans got eaten that would have a positive effect on the environment I dare say.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 18:05 jdreyer

panbient wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 17:58:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 14:03:
And here's how they caught them:

“When a lot of the fake peer reviews first came up, one of the reasons the editors spotted them was that the reviewers responded on time,” Wager told Ars. Reviewers almost always have to be chased, so “this was the red flag. And in a few cases, both the reviews would pop up within a few minutes of each other.”

Hilarious.

Reminds me of a major drug bust in Quebec a few years ago when the cops got lucky on a random traffic stop. The reason they pulled the driver over in the first place?

They were going the speed limit and using their turn signals, which seemed suspicious for a driver with Quebec plates on Quebec roads.

Not even half joking, that's the line they gave to the press.

Okay, now THAT is freakin hilarious.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 17:24 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 17:05:
Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 15:45:
What's really amazing is that most cancer would never occur with a better standard of living and better diet and exercise.

I actually think this is semi-false. I believe diet has a large roll in cancers but exercise and standard of living would only have minimum affects. Take a look at Andy Whitfield, a man in his prime with diet and exercise and struck down with Lymphoma.

First the death of Andy is a single, anecdotal piece of evidence.

Second, the statistical evidence is pretty strong actually. Exercise can prevent some kinds of cancers in the 25-30% range, hardly a "minimum effect."

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 17:16 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 15:45:
Skeptic magazine did a full edition on the War on Cancer a year or two back. They found there was a lot of this. A lot of waste. A lot of deceit. And very little actual progress overall in spite of the hundreds of billions of dollars that's been poured into since the 1950s. A few of the less aggressive forms have seen some big gains but on the whole it was something like only a 17& reduction since the 50s. That's pretty mind-boggling given how much money is involved in that industry - and make no mistake it is that. What's really amazing is that most cancer would never occur with a better standard of living and better diet and exercise.

There's no money to be made in prevention. Why do you hate capitalism?
Are you a commie?

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 15:49 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 21, 2017, 19:23:
It doesn't matter what humans do. They won't ever be allowed to destroy the fundamental things that make the planet "operational." This doomsday scenario is something that environmentalists hinge their beliefs and fears on. I want clean air and water, but in the grand scheme of things, I am not at the level of concern as environmentalists. I put my faith in what the Bible states the Earth will eventually become, which is a paradise.

I'm not sure how you saw my viewpoint as "anti-science." It's not. It's belief in a different and positive outcome for our planet. Thumbsup

1) A fatalistic attitude is extremely dangerous thinking. Humans are absolutely capable of poisoning the planet down to the point where only bacteria and tardigrades can exist. India has about the same number of vehicles as Great Britian. However, death from accidents is six times higher. Fatalism plays a huge part in this, as people don't drive safely, wear seatbelts, etc. "My time is my time" is a prevailing sentiment, so most people don't take care.

2) Let's not forget Aesop. When the cart gets stuck in the mud, the farmer implores Hercules to come and push it out for him. Hercules appears, and says "Don't just stand there man, put your shoulder to the wheel!" The Gods help those that help themselves.

3) Doom and gloom is absolutely the correct response. Global warming has in the past caused mass extinctions, and will do so again in the next 100 years, except this time it will be the first anthropogenic climate change extinction.

18158 Comments. 908 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo