Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Jonah Dreyer

Real Name Jonah Dreyer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jdreyer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description IT Professional
Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
Asus Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V
Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 2GB
16 GB PC2100 RAM
Windows 10
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 9, 2004, 08:44
Total Comments 25623 (Jedi)
User ID 22024

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service
36. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 20, 2019, 04:29 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 02:21:
man you guys are a dour bunch. i think old age is finally setting in around here. project stream was a fantastic success on my end. looked great, zero visual artifacting except for the very seldom lag spike, very little noticeable lag. really, none on my end, and i've been an online gamer since quake 1.

for those questioning the bandwidth requirements, you really have no clue how simple and elegant this is. you won't be livestreaming ANY game data. it's no different than watching a hi-res youtube video with the minimal overhead of controller input. they stream the game visuals to you; all the rendering is done in a data center far away, so theoretically you could play AAA titles on a shitty tablet, as long as it had enough power to play hi-res video stutter free. for the test, minimum bandwidth was 25Mbit; i played on a 70Mbit connection and as i said, it was nearly flawless.

for anyone EXCEPT competitive gamers this is a perfect solution as long as it's price competitive. i don't give a shit about owning my games after i beat them, and i suspect the same of the vast majority of us. but i'm also pretty sure you'll have the option to own titles in addition to a subscription model. i've bought movies on amazon and i won't have a problem buying games on stadia. neither company is going anywhere.

Remember Onlive? $5 per month, and the price of the games were MSRP.

What we need is unlimited games for $30 per month or something to be viable. Not gonna happen.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts
5. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 21:24 jdreyer

"Sorry our money vacuum was not able to glam and dazzle you into spending as much money as we had hoped. We're going to fix it so our shareholders are happier."

Hey Casey, let me introduce you to this new concept, "testing." There are many different types, such as functional testing, usability testing, load testing, and focus group testing. This concept, when properly applied pre-release really helps to avoid these kinds of issues.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 19, 2019, 21:16 jdreyer

Kickstarter’s CEO, Perry Chen, is resigning.
Kickstarter’s staff is unionizing.

I'm sure these two things are unrelated.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 19, 2019, 21:15 jdreyer

Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel.

Nearly as bad as when Anand left Anandtech to go work at Apple.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2019, 18:30 jdreyer

Scientists grow 'mini-brain on the move' that can contract muscle. Perfect

I thought most men were born with a mini-brain that can contract muscle.

Drummer

No? Too obvious?

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
90. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 18:08 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 13:37:

I'm sure they are. But, as you know, building something like that takes a very long time, and requires a lot of testing. It took Valve about a decade to do it. No one launches with all those features, because the tens to hundreds of millions it takes is a foolish gamble, but if you're already driving revenue and consumers are coming, you can keep iterating and building.
Exactly right. This is how you build good, usable software. Start with a minimum viable product, then iterate features.

89. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 17:57 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:53:
Epic's big differentiator is in the share they take.

That's their differentiation strategy to attract developers and publishers. Exclusives are their differentiation strategy to attract customers.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2019, 14:30 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 14:06:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 13:48:
I'm really interested to see where this possible Justice Department investigation goes now, as to whether or not Trump ordered the FAA(or at least the DoT, with trickle down shit rolling) to rubber stamp the Max early. Even if he didn't, former Boeing executives are all over the upper FAA management now.

Ugh this is going to be even worse than I thought.
I wasn't thinking this because I thought the plane had been around prior to the Trump administration. But it turns out its first operational use was May 2017 with Malindo Air. Another thing to consider is, if I am not mistaken, there are many presidential nominated positions within the FAA which have never even received nominations. Did the lack of managerial bandwidth contribute to the problem?

This story/investigation is going to be around for a long time to come.

There hasn't been an FAA chief since Trump took office. Not sure how that might affect downstream workers.

News Comments > Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service
2. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 14:26 jdreyer

Welcome to the future of gaming. Bigcry

The upside is that nearly all forms of game cheating becomes a thing of the past.

The downside is complete publisher control, no mods, GaaS, subscription fees, etc.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2019, 13:59 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 12:58:
Linthat22 wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 12:45:
Wow some of you guys. He's accusing Twitter of "shadow-banning conservatives" to secretly hide their posts, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints, and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

Unless you're living under a rock, everyone knows the shenanigans of twitter, FB, & Google.

Yes, who hasn't heard of the assorted liars and fools who are so entitled that they cry about censorship when the preferential treatment they have been receiving isn't enough for them. And it never will be enough to make snowflakes like you happy, which is one reason why you shouldn't be indulged.
White conservative males are the real oppressed victims. Amirite?

News Comments > NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards
13. Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 03:55 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:45:
Come on, this is just a gimmick by Nvidia. Even the GTX 2080 cannot turn on Ray Tracing and have any respectable FPS. Can't imagine how bad trying to do it in software no matter how powerful a card you have.

I was watching a dual 2060 computer the other day try to run Anthem with ray tracing on, what a joke. Ray Tracing is a complete waste of die space on the 20xx series.

C'mon now, my 2080Ti will run RTX at 90 FPS in full 480P.

News Comments > Next Half-Life Within Five Years? [Updated]
11. Re: Next Half-Life Within Five Years? [Updated] Mar 19, 2019, 03:44 jdreyer

Psych!  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 22:14 jdreyer

They're about to re-engine the B-52, which is even older than the 737. Hope they take stuff like this into account.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 22:02 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 19:24:
I want to say that from everything I've heard and read so far, it seems Boeing has been incredibly lucky things didn't go even more badly. However, that thought is tempered by the statistics of safe flights by this aircraft. I'm left wondering how much I don't know. Whatever the problem, and however much "blame" Boeing deserves, the entire subject from the design process to delivery of the plane requires a very careful and thorough investigation.

The FAA needs to be called out as well for failing to address this.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 21:55 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 12:46:
PHJF wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:42:
I had that same problem with the white background. Simply toggle Retro Colors on the left-hand menu and then switch back to New Blue.

My new-post-asterisk feature isn't working, though.

Yup, did that on my phone yesterday and it worked. Funny how many of us toggled styles on our own to fix, haha. Was the second thing I did.
Ah, so that's what that was.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 21:53 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:36:
*ugh* Firefox broke something... when I use Firefox the site has a white background, but it appears normally when I use Chrome. *blah*

Sorry about that. This may be because of some actual changes being made on the back end here (yes, this is my first drip of hype about this).

It should clear up if you re-select a color style (new blue/retro colors) on the menu on the left.

Wait a second. "Changes?" I wasn't consulted on this. I think we need an offline discussion.

* jdreyer gets out of his van and knocks on the front door *

News Comments > Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans
60. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 21:39 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:48:
I read "Deep Snark" as "Derek Smart"

Ah, so that's why he showed up in the Epic thread!

57. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 21:26 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 20:59:
Discord is not something I think about when I decide to buy games online. Put it this way, I'd probably buy from EGS before I buy from Discord. But I get your point... (kind of)

Better change your thinking. It's a store now.

56. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 21:02 jdreyer

ventry wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:32:
Y'all pissed about Epic exclusives?
What about console exclusives?
*COUGH* RDR.

Yeah, there's a lot of griping when console exclusives come out. That said, there's actual work involved when porting a game to another console, even more to PC. There's no extra work in the Epic store case.

48. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 19:40 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 13:30:
EA sells games THEY publish on Origin, THEIR platform. That is not the same as third party publisher exclusives.

On the other hand, in a year these Epic exclusives will be on Steam and other platforms. EA games won't.

25623 Comments. 1282 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo