Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B. Jackson

Real Name B. Jackson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname McTurbo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://www.cyber-con.com
Signed On Sep 20, 2004, 15:47
Total Comments 56 (Suspect)
User ID 21871

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
13. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 23, 2018, 13:10 McTurbo

I am sure the 9 people still playing this game after its massive disappointment are very excited.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer
2. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Jun 11, 2018, 10:14 McTurbo

Drool.. if this is anywhere near as good as Witcher 3.. I am gonna lose a lot of sleep  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week
1. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week Feb 20, 2018, 10:01 McTurbo

Will there actually be a game and story to play this time or just more pointless cruising around with nothing to do?  

News Comments > EA Gaming Patents
4. Re: EA Gaming Patents Jan 9, 2018, 10:44 McTurbo

that should be strait thrown out. this a pure money grab they didn't invent this stuff.. they are just trying to patent what others have built as a community and force future developers to pay them for it.  

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles
1. Re: Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles Dec 19, 2017, 09:44 McTurbo

Learn to say "Soon"  

News Comments > Blizzard's Battle.net Brand Returns
2. Re: Blizzard's Battle.net Brand Returns Aug 15, 2017, 09:14 McTurbo

Like anyone anywhere is going to call it anything but battlenet.  

News Comments > Résumé Reveals Grand Theft Auto VI?
9. Re: Résumé Reveals Grand Theft Auto VI? Jul 27, 2017, 14:53 McTurbo

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 14:24:
As long as it wasn't as godawful boring as 4 and 5 and has characters with actual depth, I may look at it. But after 4 and 5, Rockstar has a lot to prove to me before I lay down money.

5 was not that bad.

as for something to prove to you.. their games are technological marvels at the very height of video game achievement and on the forefront of game development.. they are not without their flaws but damn man.. that's some hell of an ego to think they owe you anything.. maybe you will be happier with more doom and half-life clones rather than putting a vested interest in a developer who provides the level of innovation that rockstar has.

News Comments > Anthem Revealed
18. Re: Anthem Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 05:52 McTurbo

Slick wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 02:26:
Jesus CHRIST. You guys saw the full gameplay trailer @ the Microsoft event right?

WHAT THE FUCK happened to you people? Are you all just soulless husks fumbling around in the darkness of your own despair?

I think it's time to take a break from this forum for a while, it's just negative post after negative post. No one likes anything, everything is shit, BOOO.

I mean, if your first reaction after watching that trailer is represented in the first 10 posts of this thread... jesus... there is no hope for you.

This board goes through cycles of being a reasonable place to engage with other gamers and being an utter cesspool devoid of any humanity. I think we're firmly in a "cellpool" cycle now...

I have no clue how anyone here can trash what that game play video showed. Ive been here on bluesnews since the doom and quake 1 days and this is hands down one of the best looking games anyone has ever laid eyes on.. if you are not a fan of destiny style game play then fine.. just say not my type of game and move on... but to come in here and say its trash and looks like shit... you've lost any and all credibility.

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
3. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 10:14 McTurbo

a Core 19 Extreme with 18-cores, 36-threads, and a $1,999 price tag

O.o .... finally something that just might run VR well

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
6. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 3, 2016, 09:08 McTurbo

Minecraft is still selling very well across all patforms. they didnt buy just minecraft. .they bought the whole IP .. which means all those people introduced to it and that love it.. will be just as interested in a few years when sales slow down and you see minecraft 2 with even finer controls and more options and better graphics.. wash rinse repeat for the next 25 years of minecraft 2, 3, legends, rpg, story time and all the other versions that are going to come out.. this was a no brainer for microsoft.. its like the sims. it just keeps selling and you keep seeing new versions every few years.  

News Comments > Gears of War 4 for Windows 10
12. Re: Gears of War 4 for Windows 10 Jun 14, 2016, 09:10 McTurbo

The Big Question.. are you going to force me to use a controller on windows 10 or will i be allowed to use keyboard & mouse? that is the only question windows players care about...  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
22. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 16:14 McTurbo

The problem is .. hardware is developed faster than software. 2 years for a new video card.. but 4 years for a triple A title that will have the abilities to use it..

(hell look at DX12.. its out for a while now.. 1 game uses it so far that's been released. and it wont be till mid 2017-18 that we start to see full integration for it.)

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto 6 Rumor
15. Re: Grand Theft Auto 6 Rumor Mar 27, 2016, 17:37 McTurbo

When the series STOPS selling for a billion dollars per iteration of the game.. then they might stop.. until then you can bet a new one is going to be in the works every 3-4 years or so  

News Comments > The Division Beta Claims Record
12. Re: The Division Beta Claims Record Feb 22, 2016, 22:33 McTurbo

same reason people play counter strike, battlefield or call of duty.. all of it is the same shit over and over.. but for some people they connect with the identity of a certain game and that's the game they stick with.. as much as i loved BF4 .. there was something off about it that never enticed me into competitive play like counter strike did..

In the end.. each of us have different taste the division just happens to be mine.

News Comments > The Division Beta Claims Record
6. Re: The Division Beta Claims Record Feb 22, 2016, 22:18 McTurbo

the cross between cover shooter/rpg and rogue mechanics has enough differences to entice me.. i played for a good 20 hours and enjoyed the hell out of it. pre-ordered. cant wait for march 8th. (yea they are a new company and will all the old mistakes other companies did but i am prepared to give them a chance.)  

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
45. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 19:59 McTurbo

TheEmissary wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 19:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 19:01:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 18:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 14:13:
Some ever think they are getting old and sounding that way?

We never needed an Atari 2600, but video games still happened without a need. Yes it is costly, but Oculus has shown there is an initial demand at the price they are asking for, which is very common with consumer electronics. They start high and come down.

Lets stick with flat panels and continue to poo poo more things than cheer for, that makes as much sense. What must have game has really come out for flat panels in the past few? Since they won't advance AI/Physics very much, it's pretty much all the same. Good, but the same, a little boring and plenty of jaded gamers.

Most people never owned an Atari. And once PCs became predominant for work everyone got one, gaming was just a bonus. There may be 10s of millions of console sales but there are billions of PC sales. That's the difference between need and want.

I can tell you right now no one in Canada will be buying one of these things at $1100 a pop. Then throw in another $1500 dollar PC needed for it and yeah, you can forget about it unless you have money to burn.

You do realize Rift's are back-ordered at this point? Meaning demand greater than supply? You do realize people pay 1000's for pc's? You do realize people pay $100's for virtual space ships? Price isn't the most important thing, right now the most important thing is that this is a really good device(s).

There are many levels of pc gamers now you are just trying to find a low denominator and stating "They won't", but as someone who brought up 3DFX, there is the hard core and they will carry the day early on and we'll see if it has legs.

Also mentioned with the 3dfx was Quake, but that actually didn't come out for a while after release. Once the big one drops it will be history and you, me and everyone will be there. I remember real early on people didn't know or understand what a gpu was doing, until they seen.

That said, there is no guarantees, but there will be a lot of buyers to get this going and I think developers will be there as they look for new markets to make their fortune on.

They are backordered because they artificially limited the production batches. It makes press releases sound better than they actually are when you say "X VR headset sells out within hours". They have said in a number of places that they could produce far more of these things if they wanted to.

I am not denying there is a demand for these things there most certainly is but its only with the enthuasists crowd that has never concerned with price to begin with. The mainstream consumers aren't going to buy in at these prices and will likely wait for some cheaper version that does 90% that these models can.

I dont think anyone will argue with you about it going mainstream. not at this price point without some kind of must experience game.

someone quoted earlier that all you can do in VR is just look around.. this is not true or rather a very very over simplification of the 3D effect and spacial awareness that you gain by suddenly being IN a 3D world.. not just looking at a flat monitor.. depth, distance, and direction suddenly take on whole new meanings that just cant be captured by a monitor that you turn you head a few feet and can no longer see..

we are talking Immersion the world is everything.. the experiances may be simple to start with.. but so were most video games when they launched..

in the early days of PC gaming.. just a bit over 20 years ago.. there was no mouse look and everything was done via arrow keys.. in the end the players dictate what is popular and how things will be controlled... just like it was thresh winning that Ferrari that made WASD popular it will be something players do that make the control scheme of VR what we want...

(look at todays triple A games.. a large majority started out as MODS made by players that get picked up by bigger companies)..

29. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:13 McTurbo

Some of you have forgotten or were not around when 3DFX launched.. an entire industry exists and todays console and pc market owes its current existance to one decision. .to launch the 3DFX card on the popularity of one game.. quake 1.. the jump from software to 3d graphics simply shocked people with how good it was.. so until we have all experianced an oculus or vive and seen VR for ourselves.. all you are doing is spouting your ignorance and claiming it as fact.  

28. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:04 McTurbo

descender wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:09:
So the entry point for 'VR' is $800 headunit + $350 CPU + $450 video card + the other (at the very least) $400 in parts to turn that CPU/GPU into a computer.

Yeah, this will totally work! /s

yes vs last years option of having 0% chance without spending 1000's just for the headset that didnt have near the functions or support this years does. (before oculus and vive existed)

its expensive. and its not gonna be mainstream for a while due to the price.. but its now commercially available which is head and shoulders above where we were last year.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2016, 17:09.

News Comments > The Climb Announced
18. Re: The Climb Announced Dec 15, 2015, 16:07 McTurbo

This is a new medium to play games with. this is not your standard monitor playing with a keyboard and mouse.. its a fully realized 3D world that you INTERACT with and just like the games that explored 3D Video cards back in the day.. we are gonna start with the quake like games before we run and fly around the boards like todays games..
dont expect to much to soon. we gotta learn to just get around these worlds first. and this game is just a step that other games will build on.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
17. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 17:09 McTurbo

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 17:06:
Slick wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:49:
couple things:

Going from 28nm to 14nm isn't going to mean an 80-90% jump in performance in 2016. The process is only responsible for thermals.

Not really. Straight from TSMC:

TSMC's 16FF+ (FinFET Plus) technology can provide above 65 percent higher speed, around 2 times the density, or 70 percent less power than its 28HPM technology.

28nm lasted 4 years, I don't see why 14nm would be any shorter.

Ummm... au contraire, mon ami. No one else but you sees why the 28nm phenomenon should repeat. You do realize that 28nm was a very unique thing, right?
TSMC was ready to switch to 20nm in 2013 but then it turned out (as expected by other parties like IBM) that a 20nm bulk process on planar silicon was not economically viable for a high powered node.
They needed to go FinFET+ but FinFET+ was not going to be available until the shrink to 16nm. That's why they were forced to hang on to 28nm for so long.

Four years. This basically has no precedence. There is absolutely no reason (except TSMC fucking up again) why this should ever repeat again and 10nm is actually already on the horizon for volume production in 2018. nVidia Pascal will be 16nm in 2016 and nVidia Volta might very well be a 10nm part in 2018.
Going forward, things will go back to "normal" where we will be getting new nodes in two to three years intervals. Another four year stagnation is extremely unlikely now that we have made the switch from planar silicon bulk crap to FinFET+.

We're getting close to the end of the shrinkage race. I think Intel figures they can pull off 7nm by 2018-2019, but that's far from certain.

CPUs don't equal GPUs, Intel does not equal TSMC and the numbers attached to the process nodes at all of the chip makers actually have very little to do with the real nanometers or the real size of the structures on the chips. Process naming is and has been for quite a while a reference to the shrink factor of the new node compared to its predecessor.
TSMC like Intel is confident they can pull off 7nm and I'm sure they will keep trucking as new material enter the fray (i.e. graphene most likely).

by then we should be looking at graphene cpu's or something simular.

56 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo