Limit Results:

279 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older

Re:
May 15, 2003, 17:45
Re: May 15, 2003, 17:45
May 15, 2003, 17:45

Hey Creston,

that was a pretty cool interpretation ..

But, I'll help you out on your analysis:

Actually the problem isn't the collision detection nor the skeletal systems used during game interaction. The problem is when you have a physics engine interpreting movement and contact, what happens is the developers have not created what's called a surface dection and deformation engine to handle the variables based on every point of a wall...

example: let's say a wall is 64x64 cubic feet. Each granular particle (or for arguments sake each 1X1 block that) needs to be accounted for as well the brick makes up calculations for the space it occupies. In addition what it's assignment will be as a position/point for the game engine. If the model comes in contact with the wall and the code doesn't interpret the instructions currectly.. look out "PHILIDELPHIA EXPERIMENT":)

That's why every once in a while you will get the ocassional merge or clipping. It's alot of calculations that must occur to know exactly at what point the model is occupying in the static environment.

This comment was edited on May 15, 18:00.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

SAVING
May 15, 2003, 11:33
SAVING May 15, 2003, 11:33
May 15, 2003, 11:33

As a side note.. I could care *less* about saving. It's nice, but that should be the least of id's worries.

Some people hit the save key every inch of the way. Some don't, like me. I just He-man through what ever comes my way, Ass-kicking and all and some how I survive...

NOooooooooooooooo P-R-O-B-L-E-M

This comment was edited on May 15, 11:40.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

"John!" "John!" "John!"
May 15, 2003, 11:27
"John!" "John!" "John!" May 15, 2003, 11:27
May 15, 2003, 11:27

"OH Well :(!" this is a saddening development

I guess it's obvious.. id is short on story but great on innovation... ...and that's coming into question on my part.

Valve has truely designed a game to fully meet the PC gamers expectation and experience that involves high levels of thinking and engrossing scenery. Completely entertaining the senses and based on the advent of the numerous subsystem capabilities:
- a collision system that truely takes advantage of physics system
- a particle system that gives objects the behavior of material that takes advantage of the physic system
- a dynamic lighting system that displays colors and objects as if with the sublties of a real reflected and refracted physics.. I really can't comment on shadowing, I didn't see much . But, I'm sure they'll incorporate that in Valve has til September.

*I have to pause for a moment fellas. I'm shedding a tear*

- it appears they have a skeletal systems that gives lifelike attributes to motion
- a facial animation system that offers subtles as if it were a cinematic sequence being played out... Valve has achieved a real-time animation system that appears to be movie quality ready

HalfLife 2 is going to be utter Machination on the senses..as for the dynamics in paths one can take.. that's the big question mark????????

Only a few develpers are creating a scale world whereby you can interact and explore anywhere. That would be "Illusion softworks" and another.. it slips my mind for now?

id on the other hand, has not developed their minds to truely expand on a story.. as I predicted. They have limited themselves to such a static path they only have one experience to serve out.

A dark, creepy, scarey realistic linear rendering engine with predetermined locations to play out sequences much like "Resident Evil"

They did the "okie-doke".. In private, listened to fixxed hardware architecture of a half-baked console system developer ... "Microsoft".. and short sited themselves on everything.

I can't believe Carmack is even stuttering like this. It's obvious he grew chills when he saw the Valve demonstration.

I must admit I'm even floored.

"WOW!"

This comment was edited on May 15, 11:47.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: Nice
May 14, 2003, 20:24
Re: Nice May 14, 2003, 20:24
May 14, 2003, 20:24

The facial expression and senuous lines of the maiden are very very nice...

Valve has defintely matured the image of the characters.. this game is well worth it. As was the wait I made for the original HALFLIFE

I chose the right click option.. and had no probs.. the IGN video is "GREAT!"

This comment was edited on May 14, 20:50.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: No subject
May 14, 2003, 19:56
Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 19:56
May 14, 2003, 19:56

I downloaded the alternative 30Mb .mov from the college web site... It's fine.

now that I have the IGN movie it's fine also... so now I am going to drool a bit more
-The Dude-

Vic B.

good job :)
May 14, 2003, 19:37
good job :) May 14, 2003, 19:37
May 14, 2003, 19:37

After doing a little eyeball exercise on the Half-Life 2 video. The richness in colors, the in game physics (interaction), the atmosphere... It looks like a sure winner in terms of a story. I don't want to say anything pro or con to compare it with DOOM 3...

I will say this.. "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH DUKE?"

At present, I am still crawling unsuccessfully through the quicktime download of the IGN movie... looks like they're getting hammered.

I will definitely be buying HALFLIFE 2.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: HL2!
May 14, 2003, 18:35
Re: HL2! May 14, 2003, 18:35
May 14, 2003, 18:35

"DUDE!"

You are really trying to sell a moot point...

Why don't you reread mine and other contributions to what makes the Doom3 engine leagues ahead of your selling point...

www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=41749

"reflection in water?" you've got to do better than *that*

This comment was edited on May 14, 18:40.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: HL 2 movie
May 14, 2003, 18:31
Re: HL 2 movie May 14, 2003, 18:31
May 14, 2003, 18:31

what do you expect? it's that delapidated Team Fortress 2 engine that never made out the garage. I'm not trying to build id up as the the only choice but you have to give credit where credit is due. id has out done themselves thanks to John insistance on hardware manufactures consolidating on a true studio quality graphics render.

So, I hope you're not a another xOmbie club member??

and id has pushed the envelope

Valve is great at story but poor on invention...

by the way who's a n00b?
-The Dude-

Vic B.

"VERY NICE!"
May 14, 2003, 18:09
"VERY NICE!" May 14, 2003, 18:09
May 14, 2003, 18:09

One thing that's safe to say...

... Xombie must be feeling pretty speechless after that display of power from the DOOM 3 engine. I'd say his jaw hit the floor and he still hasn't awaken.

"HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

EPIC nor VALVE is even in the ballpark.

I have a question though... what's with the little devilkin?
-The Dude-

Vic B.

a little pontification
May 14, 2003, 00:02
a little pontification May 14, 2003, 00:02
May 14, 2003, 00:02

This is a bit off the subject. But now it's fairly obvious what the internet web startups should have done initially to weed out the first losses.

Pay for access.. I can't wait til I get my site up an runnig. Registration then paying reaccuring nominal fees for downloads that will be released in a week is a joke.

eventually to do business on the net will be just that, business. Because the expense of creating a domain and running it with out fear of some one proding for infringment will kill it.

Anyway I'm glad HD2 is back on track

At least a few of these I see are just create an account and you have access.. that's cool
-The Dude-

Vic B.

May 13, 2003, 18:38
Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:38
May 13, 2003, 18:38

and Xombie that's the point..

I spelled it out in clear letters and it went in one ear and out the other.

you cannot name one engine that is evolving to the level of what the DOOM III engine is accomplishing... and I will state this again.

A R-E-A-L T-I-M-E OBJECT RENDERING ENGINE

That is the walls, the floor, everything and the character you control has the behavior of the environment.. hence the light the shadow the flow of liquid the rise of smoke, the damage of weapons if so beit.

Before you were the camera and various elements reacted to your position. Now everything is independent. Whether you are there or not it doing something. that's how global this engine can be. You just don't get it because you don't think in 3D..

This is the equivelant of a camera focused on a world that is generating every variable in realtime in space and you can interact with every bit of (although I'm sure id will not set that stage).

Maybe because you are not a computer artist/ animator you don't get it... that separates us in the hierarchy of this.

You appear to be stuck in an isometric mode. like I said: "you don't get!"

niether does Dr. Evil for that matter

This comment was edited on May 13, 18:44.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

May 13, 2003, 18:22
Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:22
May 13, 2003, 18:22

Gee Dr. Evil.. you sure missed the mark.

My comments have nothing to do with focusing on Light and Shadow.

I am speaking from a more geometrical perspective. Maybe you have a limit as to what you can absorb before you assert????

This comment was edited on May 13, 18:40.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

May 13, 2003, 18:01
Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:01
May 13, 2003, 18:01

Xombie,

I think the reason why you and others are having a problem with expressing to you, what do you get when you play an Id game versus any other developer.. beit Valve, Epic, whom ever???????

id installs a subtilty of movement and transistions with their engines.

When you observe motion in a other game engines they tend to have a more cartoonish feel. id has always strived for fluidity. Example of cartoon like spuratic motion is the Half-Life engine it doesn't come close to the motion of an id animated model in terms of smoothness.

that's called *subtilty*

and I garauntee *you*, the Doom III engine will be the benchmark that other developers will be trying to surpass in FPS.

Other engine developers then started adding other nuiances to their engines like weapon animation (like recoil, adding rounds, ejecting rounds), taunts, the GHOUL System per Raven. Semi Environment interactive worlds like Red Faction and System Shock. But all these games game share a basic thread in common they lacked one asset and replaced it with another.

Thief was poor on model design. But, it took the premise of MGS and made it realizable feature in FPS

But once, the dust settles. It all lands back with Id in view for their economical way to present FPS to the public and allow others borrow.

granted Serious Sam did wonders for the polygon driven FPS world in a diluted kind of way.

Now, you keep asking: "What makes this new engine is so different" WELL ITS A FIRST TIME that an SGI engine has been the core platform that produces the game objects for display to render the objects in that game world... the potential is enormous. For the first time there could be a true non-linear world. No matter where you go it's ready to play out in real-time no pause or reloads. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe not yet? "but soon!"

"THAT'S THE PART YOU DON'T GET!?"

and you behave so passe about it. That's okay, you are entitle to your perspective

The japanese have always done phenominal things with their game engines.. but, that has been with current trends. Carmack has once again step outside of the box and separated his talents with the others at id from amongst the pigeons (maybe I should say chickens).

With this engine you can create physics for solid and liquid objects that would always persist and never disolve away because the engine maintains the data in perminant storage. You punch a hole in the wall the and it's there forever. Floor boards flying up and staying persistant or you can move it yourself, pipes bursting.. sky is the limit. I hope I have conveyed this.

Whether or not Id does it?? I doubt it? they aren't known for their maximumization of their product. if that was the case they wouldn't be back pedaling on coop.

in any case from an artist perspective I see what's being accomplished.. too bad you don't...

... and I doubt very serious if Half-Life 2 even comes close to the Doom III engine because it's alreday done from years ago. remember Team Fortress 2 ( a Valve developed engine) valve has not a chance... and so far render-wise it sucks. It will have a good story but the graphics will be on par with Mafia and Max Payne for "Texture Mapping" the character models.

Xombie??? you just don't see it dude... but, I'm no priest. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Everybody realizes what ID has accomplished this time. regardless of their affiliation. To bad ID didn't hire my looser ass. I definetly can write a story. and create creatures unlike canabilizations from The Thing and Poser 3D stretched and reformed models. I'm sure Paul Steed is saying he could have done better.

After All. id does have the Candian guy???? I forget his name............ one sec....... I'll look it up for accuracey on www.idsoftware .com

"KENNETH SCOTT!"

Anyways. This is all I can say to you Xombie. it's up to your imagine to see the limit or the limitation.

take care.. Zai hui

This comment was edited on May 13, 18:18.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

May 13, 2003, 16:31
Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 16:31
May 13, 2003, 16:31

You're cool Xombie.. your points are well taken..

Here's a little something to think about. Although I will agree with you on one premise. I really don't think ID can pull off an immersive story. They do have the Doom World to draw from the many iterations.

I'm sure some order to the chaos of what the doom story(ies) could relay.

But, let's look at something that was hyped and supposedly capable of revolutionizing AI.. UREAL II.

It bombed like a fast fleeting crowd running from a rancid potato ( and I'm sure some of you have caught wind of those)
Cliff B was a stud. I don't know where he is now.. but he's been very quiet?

"Great graphics!", poor interaction, and worse system performance.

Will Doom III be everything ??? I doubt it. Is it being hyped? not in the least bit. Id has done a superior job of keeping the press contained and not releasing any information that would other trash their research and your experience.

and you said: "What's in Maya isn't necessarily seen in the game

All the 3D character models are generated with Maya.. the models are simply ported into an equivelant key framing animation App and "viola!" life. I don't know what your talking about on that point????

next you said: "Then please tell me why there are quite obviously angular skin surfaces"

Okay, I should speak with more detail.

On previous model rendering with other game engines you can see the vertic transistions (i.e. obvious triangles and straight lines) some due to the low use of polygons. with Doom III there are obvious curvatures to surfaces. "Anti-aliasing!" I don't see any jagged sufaces???? just a straight surface every once in a while. The spider creatures are definetly done well

Back to the one void I see about Id. Because, they have lost the bulk of main components (meaning ex-employees) which was the idea shop of ID. They will probably have some lackings of the ingredients for a good story. But they may pull it off. After all Doom is in the works for movie production, which doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot considering "Resident Evil" - the movie. But, as long as the creative processes don't hire idiots that make screenplays for movies like The Core and Armeggedon.. everything may turn out alright.

personally my mind is open to this entire episode and from what I am seeing so far.......

Doom III looks like it is in real production value: the budget to develop the game, the talents overseeing and designing the game... it should work. as a replayabilty that depends on how much scripting is embedded because from what I gather... there will be *NO* cooperative-mutiplayer value to the game. That's really bad in my opinion.

This comment was edited on May 13, 16:44.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: Screenshots very ordinary
May 13, 2003, 15:44
Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 2003, 15:44
May 13, 2003, 15:44

Zamfear...

I'm assuming your comment wasn't directed at me. But, just to be on the safe side I'll add a little criticism on your part since people on "Blues" find it quite up lifting to point out gross misspells and inappropriate use of words as a high-point of their intelligence...

you said: "Your obviouly full of it."

is correctly phrased with the reflexsive pronoun:
"You're obviously full of it."

personally I am not into the spelling of the word as long as the point gets across.

This comment was edited on May 13, 15:47.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: Screenshots very ordinary
May 13, 2003, 14:04
Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 2003, 14:04
May 13, 2003, 14:04

Scott nice try...

But, I must respectfully disagree with you.

Id designed the Doom III engine to behave like a real-time rendering engine (much like lightwave or an SGI engine perform) and light and shadowing is one of the many aspects of what *IS* required to create a world of spacial 3D. But there are other caviots that must coincide with the 3D world to give the image of realism .... all we are missing is smell HA HA HA

This comment was edited on May 13, 14:18.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

textures..what textures? Xombie
May 13, 2003, 13:53
textures..what textures? Xombie May 13, 2003, 13:53
May 13, 2003, 13:53

If I'm not mistaken....

...the reason why id is using the Maya render also is because of the smooth modeling and bump mapping features it offers. I have no idea why Xombie is so focused on textures... textures is impled if you are doing texture maps which is what the majority of polygon based models require for color and surface detailing; i.e. command and conquer Generals (which I think is amazing gameplay) to even Quake III of old as well Unreal II.

If you are seeing textures?" it's due to the highly demanding nature of surface model bump mapping. we're all lucky Id didn't include hair.. we'd really be "F'ed!"

SO Xombie let me quantify what your eyes are seeing so you can cogitate on this a little

When you see a model rendered in Doom III you are seeing real time nurbed objects (which provides that smooth skin surface not angular) coupled with a semi textured effect when seeing clothing or skin high lighted by shadowing effects... that's probably what you are mistaking for something trivial?).
and lastly are you familiar with ray racing? well specular lighting effects and realtime lighting is by far no easy feat. Carmack has incorporated into what is eqivelant to realtime CGI not those cool CGIs you see when a game intro begins.

Dude the Doom III engine is amazing.. it just's just that it will not come close to volumes in comparison to Serious Sam generated. I'm sure 3DRealms is scrapping Duke right now? "HA HA HA!" all those Photoshop texture map artist they were hunting down.. "what a waste!"

I'm impressed with the visuals of the engine. J. Carmack has done a service to all the 3D gaming world.

I may not be so impressed by the amount of Alias that can be generated on screen at a given moment. I figure if you see some baddies chasing you or hunting you down the most you will see is about eight (if that????)

as for other effects: blood that behaves with the physics of water. and sorted other features

I may behave poorly on Blues but I am very aware of what's happening.. Xombie you don't realize how lucky we are to see this kind of transition...

... and beleive me, I don't think Carmack is a God. He's just someone who actually applies himself to the job and gets it done aside from all those other lazy bastards lining up to borrow, buy, and copy id intellectualism.

I just sit back and laugh. :0

even Bill "Microsoft" Gates it steaming his glasses up because he can't keep his drooling mouth shut on this.;P

This comment was edited on May 13, 14:20.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: Sounds about right.
May 13, 2003, 13:17
Re: Sounds about right. May 13, 2003, 13:17
May 13, 2003, 13:17

better yet. you can't get reliablity with an Xbox. My brother purchased a brand spank'in new system and it locks periodically .. maybe it's Morrowwind or something but as usual microsoft always leaves one with that big question mark in the head.

all of rhetoric aside. I don't plan on buying an xbox anytime soon anyway.. I barely glance at my PS2 and GC
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: to Blue
May 13, 2003, 12:15
Re: to Blue May 13, 2003, 12:15
May 13, 2003, 12:15

"WELL!"

since you put that way Elvis.. my fears have suddenly waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaashed away... you've built my confidence up again.

and as a sidenote.. What is your take on Duke Nukem? Think that's history? Mr. Broussard has been very quiet lately.

This comment was edited on May 13, 12:17.
-The Dude-

Vic B.

Re: to Blue
May 13, 2003, 12:02
Re: to Blue May 13, 2003, 12:02
May 13, 2003, 12:02

Hey Invid,

Actually my focus was more along the lines of:

1)Did Microsoft monoplize release of Doom III on the Xbox only? you're right about that PSX2 and game cube may have to wait
2) will PC be side lined?? can't/ couldn't imagine Id doing that

In the end. everyone has a price.. it's just business?

This comment was edited on May 13, 12:04.
-The Dude-

Vic B.
279 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ] Older