User information for Ron

Real Name
Ron
Nickname
Warhawk
Email
Concealed by request
Description
To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
July 27, 2004
Supporter
-
Total Posts
3853 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older

Re: Building a PVR
Dec 5, 2008, 13:38
Re: Building a PVR Dec 5, 2008, 13:38
Dec 5, 2008, 13:38

Thanks skyguy - looks like a good place to start. I'll go through it this weekend and see what they have to say - no time at work right now to do so.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Building a PVR
Dec 5, 2008, 01:05
Building a PVR Dec 5, 2008, 01:05
Dec 5, 2008, 01:05

(A blatant copy/paste from ItB)

Can anyone point me in the right direction into building a PVR from scratch, especially as far as the right video card/capture card to use?

My sister asked about one and I am sure I could build one but would like some input from those who might have gone through it before. Any tips/hints?

Thanks!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Re: Into the Black
Dec 5, 2008, 00:24
Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2008, 00:24
Dec 5, 2008, 00:24

Can anyone point me in the right direction into building a PVR from scratch, especially as far as the right video card/capture card to use?

My sister asked about one and I am sure I could build one but would like some input from those who might have gone through it before. Any tips/hints?

Thanks!

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 4, 2008, 12:16
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 12:16
Dec 4, 2008, 12:16

I'm on week 5 of a sinus infection and you don't see my crying about it.

Never had one of those. <knocks on wood>

You don't really need your sinuses, do you? Just have them removed and you'll feel much better. Rolleyes2

Re: Search!
Dec 3, 2008, 14:08
Re: Search! Dec 3, 2008, 14:08
Dec 3, 2008, 14:08

He giveth, and he taketh away!

And giveth again!

Thanks for all the work around here!

Nov 21, 2008, 09:56
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2008, 09:56
Nov 21, 2008, 09:56

Happy B-Day Blue (and everyone else)!

Don't do anything Cutter wouldn't do! Um, wait, well, maybe that isn't the best advice after all.....

Re: No subject
Nov 15, 2008, 15:31
Re: No subject Nov 15, 2008, 15:31
Nov 15, 2008, 15:31

House Atreides pleased too.

Actually, it would only be residents of Arrakis, not the whole "house" if you want to get picky and the Fremen would probably get some benefits as well.... Raincloud

Nov 6, 2008, 13:31
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:31
Nov 6, 2008, 13:31

Seems to me that if someone wanted to change someone's mind, you'd politic a few days earlier ...

Nah, Cutter just likes to argue.

Nov 6, 2008, 11:32
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 11:32
Nov 6, 2008, 11:32

More political bullshit here?

Ah good.

No, I think we limited it to just a couple days. In 2012, we will have to schedule a one-hour window for all the political crap and let it fly.

Re: Into the Black
Nov 6, 2008, 00:21
Re: Into the Black Nov 6, 2008, 00:21
Nov 6, 2008, 00:21

I actually thought Eaters of the Dead was enjoyable as well, but JP was fantastic.

Nov 5, 2008, 18:13
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 18:13
Nov 5, 2008, 18:13

He won because he was the best candidate and inspired people in a way that no political figure has since at least Reagan, maybe even since Kennedy.

Go listen to his speech from last night, please. You may not agree with him, but listen to it (really listen to it, without the Fox News commentary track) and then tell me that he didn't get elected for his leadership qualities.

Again, he won because he gave good speeches. And, after Bush, the fact he doesn't have an "R" next to his name really, really helped. That is it. He speaks well. Woohoo, we have presidential material, ladies and gents!

Don't confuse oratory with leadership. They are two different things. Where does this supposed leadership show itself? What has he DONE to show he is qualified to lead this country? Make some great speeches.

Edit - Prez beat me to the punch on a few points, but it still stands.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 18:35.

Nov 5, 2008, 17:03
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 17:03
Nov 5, 2008, 17:03

It's not designed for competing with local transportation like BART. If you look at the site you posted, they have estimated trip times and cost between the stops. SF to LA is 2 hrs 38 mins for $55. Even if you add an hour for travel to/from the station, it saves a couple hours and is cost-competitive with driving.

Sorry, I missed the costs (thanks!) - that is cheaper than I anticipated, and I wonder how accurate the estimate is. Seems artifically low, considering the infrastructure and right of way they are looking at needing for this.

If they truly can deliver on that kind of cost (instead of costs similar to those I gave earlier), then yeah, this might work out fine. I am pessimistic on their estimate, though.

Nov 5, 2008, 13:56
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 13:56
Nov 5, 2008, 13:56

This was one of the few bonds or allocations that passed.

So far we are passing the high speed rail ($9.95 bil), children's hospital ($980 mil), and veteran's bonds ($900 mil). Together, including interest, we will have to pay back $23.6 billion on these three bonds alone.

Anyone who's driven between SF and LA in the last few years know we NEED to do something, and soon. A 350 mile long traffic jam is not an option.

I have driven between the Sacramento area and LA more times than I care to count over the last 15 years and I-5 is always moving at full speed (unless there is an accident - a couple times over the years) until you are in the immediate vicinity of a large city.

Hey, I hope this does well as I would also love to be able to have an alternative to flying down to LA or taking a car to Pittsburg and then taking BART to SF, but I really don't see the advantage here. It would take me about 30-45 minutes to get to the station from my house. I can get to Pittsburg in less than an hour. BART fares from Pittsburg to SF airport (about the longest stretch of BART): $16. Round trip.

There is no way that prices will be low enough to make sense for shorter trips (SAC to SF) with existing cheap BART fares once you get close to SF. And for longert trips, say, Sac to San Diego, look at all the stops it makes.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/

No way it is competitive with flying if you are in a hurry. The only thing it does is get you out of a car, but is probably going to be hideously expensive for a trip of equivalent time, especially if a family is going somewhere. For instance, booking an end-to-end trip on the Acela train on the East Coast (the closest thing we have to HSR in the US, apparently) would cost a minimum of $250 for a round trip tomorrow and takes at least 6.5 hours. For one person. Try a family - the costs would be prohibitive for most for what could instead be less than a day's drive.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 14:09.

Nov 5, 2008, 12:49
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 12:49
Nov 5, 2008, 12:49

the stretch here is your pandering to blacks while at the same time making fun of james earl jones. keep digging a deeper hole budy.

I wasn't making fun of blacks, you asshat, I was making fun of those who voted for Obama strictly because of his excellent speeches and disticntive and pleasant oratory style. The best example I could come up with was James Earl Jones, who also has a very pleasant, distictive voice (voices of/for - Darth Vader, Lion King, "This is CNN", Thulsa Doom and his awesome speeches in Conan the Barbarian, and too many others to list here) but is not a political figure - and I basically said that "if you are voting based on speeches, let's vote for the man with one of the most distictive and awesome sounding voices in the world today".

Do you have no analytical or critical thinking skills at all?

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 12:50.

Nov 5, 2008, 12:28
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 12:28
Nov 5, 2008, 12:28

one thing i learned from growing in a predominantly white hood with an active klan is that they try to hide their agenda by throwing african american names around casually to show that they are not racist. your words mimic theirs.

This coming from the guy who said:

i was using that as an example because he was judging someone before he knew the person.

Now I am a possibly a racist because I said I would vote for Powell or Condi on a republican ticket because I think they are much more qualified/experienced at this time than Obama is? Is that what you are saying? That is quite a stretch. Keep reaching.

Nov 5, 2008, 12:13
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 12:13
Nov 5, 2008, 12:13

You listed Powell and Rice as suitable alternatives for Obama, joking throw in James Earl Jones, and then you said "It's not a race thing"?

Um, the point was these are also PEOPLE OF THE SAME RACE that I WOULD vote for. It isn't racial that I voted for someone other than Obama in this election (as accused), as I tried to explain.

If I said it wasn't racial and said I would have voted for Hillary, how does that explain my point?

Are you really all that fucking dense? Hello?

Nov 5, 2008, 11:50
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:50
Nov 5, 2008, 11:50

Are you really this dense?

nope. youre just that obvious.

Oh? Please explain.

Nov 5, 2008, 11:44
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:44
Nov 5, 2008, 11:44

Exactly what name was he calling Obama?

i was using that as an example because he was judging someone before he knew the person.

Then I guess you really have a talent for trying to say one thing and mean something completely different. Nobody was calling him names.

I wish Colin Powell or Condi Rice had run (for example) on the R ticket, as I would have gladly voted for them. It's not a race thing, it is an experience thing.

thats bull crap. if it wasnt a race thing then why did you use two other black people as an alternative to get your vote? lol.

Are you really this dense?

Nov 5, 2008, 11:29
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:29
Nov 5, 2008, 11:29

Colin Powell voted for Obama.

Maybe so, but to paraphrase a famous quote: Obama is no Colin Powell.

Nov 5, 2008, 11:27
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:27
Nov 5, 2008, 11:27

Looks like the high-speed rail bond is also passing. Which is great for jobs and adds another mass-transit option (if it ever gets built), but I don't think the state can afford it right now. I think we have (and continue to) bond ourselves into fiscal oblivion. And I am still not sure how they will be able to structure ticket prices to get enough butts in the seats to pay for it while maintaining the benefit of "high speed". Unless of course they try to cram you in like airplane seating, in which case you are better off taking a plane anyways.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older