User information for Ron

Real Name
Ron
Nickname
Warhawk
Email
Concealed by request
Description
To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
July 27, 2004
Supporter
-
Total Posts
3853 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older

Re: Dolphins
Jan 16, 2009, 10:45
Re: Dolphins Jan 16, 2009, 10:45
Jan 16, 2009, 10:45

From the article:

"Unless NOAA takes immediate action, these dolphins, who may be more intelligent than human beings and certainly are every bit as emotional and family-oriented as we are, will slowly die as winter progresses," said Daphna Nachminovitch, vice president of People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals, in a statement released before the meeting. "Taxpayers expect federal agencies like NOAA not to stand by while these vulnerable dolphins suffer agonizing deaths."

Ok, they may be smarter than some human beings I can think of (those who buy Britney Spears CDs, for example), but if they were so smart, why didn't they follow their friends south into warmer climes in the winter?

And this taxpayer doesn't expect the government to go jumping around "rescuing" animals that are free to go wherever they want....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 14, 2009, 18:10
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 18:10
Jan 14, 2009, 18:10

Apple CEO Steve Jobs Taking Medical Leave

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479945,00.html

CUPERTINO, Calif. — Apple Inc.'s CEO Steve Jobs says he is taking a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

Jobs told employees in an e-mail that his health issues are more complex than he thought.

Last week, Jobs announced he had a hormone deficiency that had caused him to dramatically lose weight.

Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook, will take over Jobs' responsibilities while he is on leave.

more....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Jan 14, 2009, 11:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 11:39
Jan 14, 2009, 11:39

I can vouch for the awesomeness that is the Samsung 22" widescreen monitors. I think I have the 216....which I believe is no longer avaialble.....

Jan 14, 2009, 01:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2009, 01:27
Jan 14, 2009, 01:27

thank you Warhawk

????

Um, I was basically disagreeing with you. And you didn't even recognize that.

Jan 13, 2009, 11:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2009, 11:27
Jan 13, 2009, 11:27

Microsoft dint invent the computer, it didnt even invent the PC. So please dont give me the Henry Ford bullshit quotes.

And Henry Ford didn't invent the car - he just adapted the assembly line for automobile mass production.....

Re: Deathwatch!
Jan 9, 2009, 18:59
Re: Deathwatch! Jan 9, 2009, 18:59
Jan 9, 2009, 18:59

Trying to find assistance is near impossible.

OK, I don't go to Best Buy looking for info though, and I always have too many people trying to help me when I go in.

I know what I want (research it myself) and go in as an educated consumer. I am looking for specific items or products, and the BB staff have always been very helpful.

And price-matching has never been an issue for me. No hassle in the ones I have been in at all. Go up to the counter, show the ad, they match the price, and out I go....

Re: Deathwatch!
Jan 9, 2009, 17:59
Re: Deathwatch! Jan 9, 2009, 17:59
Jan 9, 2009, 17:59

It's the karma they deserve after their failed attempt at the long dead divx DVD pay-per-view scheme .....

While I agree with that, the problem is, when they go under, what little incentive Best Buy has to be competitive goes right out the window...

And let's face it: Best Buy already sucks ass as it is.

A. I agree about Divx - I have refused to shop at CC unless it is a last resort ever since they pulled that shit.

B. I like BB - don't know why there is so much hatred for them. They price match any local price and have the rewards program. Why the bitterness????

Re: Into the Black
Jan 7, 2009, 11:36
Re: Into the Black Jan 7, 2009, 11:36
Jan 7, 2009, 11:36

Did I mention a Western Digital drive tired to eat 300 gig of my data a year ago? Because it did.

This little program saved the day...I use it at work now, too.

That is why I have a backup drive in my computer and an external hard drive I keep at work. Maybe once a month I backup my photos, etc., to both for redundant backups. And I don't even keep much of importance on my home computer other than personal photos and pdfs of our tax info. But I have had two relatives (sister and in-laws) have hard drive crashes recently and lose all their photos because they didn't keep backups.....

Problem is, my main drive is 500 GB and the two backups are 80 GB each. I have maybe 2/3 or more of the main drive free, but the backup drives are almost out of space. Those are the ones I am upgrading....and I see no reason to go for less than 500 GB now based on HD prices right now.

Edit - in looking at my external backup drive, it is an IDE drive. I may just get an external drive instead of a new internal drive for the enclosure I have, as upgrading to an eSATA drive would be nice....

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 12:14.

Jan 7, 2009, 10:54
Re: Into the Black Jan 7, 2009, 10:54
Jan 7, 2009, 10:54

Hey hoop-

I looked through the review (from June 2007!) and really wasn't impressed by the Samsung. It was not the fastest in most of the tests and was more reliable than 34% of other hard drives?

I took a look at Toms Hardware "Winter 2008 Hard Drive Guide" and his conclusion was:

Mainstream / All-round Hard Drives

Mainstream users will have to decide if they want a versatile drive, which they can use as a system drive and to store a lot of data. If you’re looking for an all-rounder, we recommend going either for Hitachi’s Deskstar 7K1000.B (watch for the B!) at 1 TB, 750 GB or 640 GB, which offers balanced performance and efficiency. Western Digital’s Caviar Black or RAID Edition 3 (RE3) are the better application drives, as they deliver quicker access time and I/O performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-terabyte-1tb,2077-16.html

Samsung didn't even win the green category for it's low power consumption. And the WD drive used in the review you referenced was not the newer "Black" drives by WD, but an older model. Take a look at newer reviews!

I have had WD, Maxtor, and other drives and frankly have had good luck with all of them (and I have had more WD drives than others over the years), so unless we have a "Deathstar" incident I tend to think they will all be pretty reliable.....

And while the only drive that has "failed" on me was a WD, it was an old WD that I had in an old computer. In addition, the WD drives I have had have been quieter over the years than the competitors.

Jan 6, 2009, 23:39
Re: Into the Black Jan 6, 2009, 23:39
Jan 6, 2009, 23:39

Any recommendations for a 500 GB SATA HD? I'm looking at the WD Caviar Black right now....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

Jan 5, 2009, 10:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2009, 10:51
Jan 5, 2009, 10:51

Everyone still here after the holidays?

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!

And Blue, just take the gaming rig to the Blue Bedroom and play at night until you fall asleep. When you wake up, just reload your last saved game and keep playing! Maybe Mrs. Blue will serve you the puree'd breakfast in bed to save even more time!

Jan 4, 2009, 10:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2009, 10:18
Jan 4, 2009, 10:18

If I did live on the east coast I probably would have to do the DVR thing (I don't even own one now)

Heathen. Luddite.

Dec 31, 2008, 10:49
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2008, 10:49
Dec 31, 2008, 10:49

Hope everyone out there had a Merry Christmas and has a safe and happy New Year!

Finished Bioshock last night - thought it was a lot of fun. Good game.

We are headed to the snow today, as we are fortunate enough to live where snow is something you see only when you want to. Sunny

Ready for a vacation
Dec 19, 2008, 11:53
Ready for a vacation Dec 19, 2008, 11:53
Dec 19, 2008, 11:53

I am taking two weeks off after today - usually don't get/take a lot of vacations during the year and look forward to a couple weeks during Christmas/New Years. So, Merry Christmas to all, and I hope everyone has a safe a pleasant vacation/holiday if I don't get a chance to say it later.

Gonna spend much of today clearing the accumulated stuff off my desk for a fresh start next year!

Dec 16, 2008, 23:01
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2008, 23:01
Dec 16, 2008, 23:01

Thanks Warhawk, hats off to ya.

Sadly I don't think Lvl 55 Beastmaster will work on a resume

No problem, hope it helps. And good luck!

Dec 16, 2008, 15:38
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2008, 15:38
Dec 16, 2008, 15:38

Elf-

I just did a quick search for "resume format" and one of the first links was this:

http://www.career.vt.edu/jobsearc/resumes/formats.htm#samples

They have links to real resumes in Word format - heck, you can just replace the info with your own and you are good to go.

Your format will depend on what you want to emphasize. Do you have a lot of school and training to present? Have you worked in the field for 10 years? Tailor the resume to fit your strengths.

Dec 16, 2008, 13:54
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2008, 13:54
Dec 16, 2008, 13:54

Anyone know a good free resume program?

http://www.openoffice.org

A resume is just a simple text document, not sure why you need a program just for a resume?

Agreed - Heck, MS Office (and maybe others as well) have resume templates built in, if you want to use them. I just use tabs/centering, etc., and make my own.

Bioshock
Dec 15, 2008, 14:40
Bioshock Dec 15, 2008, 14:40
Dec 15, 2008, 14:40

Just got it last night as a gift from a friend of mine. Looking forward to playing it after all this time - just never got around to picking it up....

Re: Bush Shoes
Dec 15, 2008, 13:49
Re: Bush Shoes Dec 15, 2008, 13:49
Dec 15, 2008, 13:49

Sure took long enough for the security guys to come out that back door. Wonder if they aren't all that interested in protecting a lame-duck pres or something.... Bullseye Lucky it was just a couple shoes, I guess. Wonder if they make those guys run their shoes through a security check like the rest of us do what we fly???? Thinking2

Re: its noon
Dec 8, 2008, 15:49
Re: its noon Dec 8, 2008, 15:49
Dec 8, 2008, 15:49

Great news, Blue!

Glad to hear.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older