User information for Ron

Real Name
Ron
Nickname
Warhawk
Email
Concealed by request
Description
To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
July 27, 2004
Supporter
-
Total Posts
3853 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    193  ] Older

Equipment
Jul 11, 2008, 10:27
Equipment Jul 11, 2008, 10:27
Jul 11, 2008, 10:27

Over the years I have often thought the same thing. I work in the Civil Engineering field and have spent lots of time on job sites seeing scrapers, blades, compactors, dozers, backhoes, and other equipment running around. But I have the feeling it's not as easy as it looks.

I have worked with lots of backhoe operators over the years and most are pretty decent. I did run into one that it took over half a day to do the job (test pits) when an experienced operator could have finished it in less than an hour, easy. If you don't know what you are doing, yeah, you can probably move some scoops around randomly, etc, but actually doing anything intentional would probably take a lot of time.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: No subject
Jul 10, 2008, 15:10
Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 15:10
Jul 10, 2008, 15:10

Bring on Hellbye 2 and Bats 2.

Agreed. I think we are going to see Hellboy 2 tomorrow after work (leave a bit early and catch a show between 4 and 5 pm, if we can).

Dark Knight looks awesome. What the Batman movies should have been from the start. Dark. Gritty. Serious.

I like it.

By the way, I find myself listening to Young American Primitive more and more recently. That is some good shit and it keeps me going at work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_American_Primitive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Jul 7, 2008, 14:50
Re: No subject Jul 7, 2008, 14:50
Jul 7, 2008, 14:50

Well, a main part of the plot is not hinted at in the trailer and that part is a little more serious than what you do see, but I didn't really get that feeling.

There are holes in every movie, and some things are left relatively unexplained, but overall we all enjoyed the movie.

Re: Wall·E
Jul 7, 2008, 12:28
Re: Wall·E Jul 7, 2008, 12:28
Jul 7, 2008, 12:28

Haven't seen it yet - apparently it starts out pretty well (according to my dad, who took my 5-year old last week) but then goes downhill and turns into a typical "environmental message" flick. I'd still like to see it, though.

Did see Hancock, and thought it wasn't bad at all. A bit "formulized", but still a fun movie.

Re: HDless
Jul 2, 2008, 12:52
Re: HDless Jul 2, 2008, 12:52
Jul 2, 2008, 12:52

When this format reigns supreme come January 2009 I guess that will be the end of my television viewing days. I will not have the government TELL ME to go upgrade my television technology. I will also not buy a converter. I have bills to pay; television is on the bottom of my list of priorities.

You can get up to 2 free coupons for $40 off the converter boxes here:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

I'd suggest using the mail-in coupons, I couldn't get the web interface to confirm that they got my info.

A real quick search for them at Walmart's website shows 2 for sale at $50, so you can go buy one of these for $10 out of pocket to get all your TV goodness. Quit whining.

Jul 2, 2008, 12:11
Re: No subject Jul 2, 2008, 12:11
Jul 2, 2008, 12:11

I think I'll stick to Dunn Brothers if I need a coffee fix.

I don't drink coffee (never have) - always amazed at those that do.

Jul 1, 2008, 10:52
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2008, 10:52
Jul 1, 2008, 10:52

I got 10 out of 15 and guessed on about 14 of them.

Re: Smart Cars
Jun 26, 2008, 12:03
Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 12:03
Jun 26, 2008, 12:03

They also charge more for them than my wife's brand new Honda Civic, which gets better milage and has more than 3 times the space.

I got a new Civic LX (automatic transmission) as a commuter car a few months ago and am regularly hitting 35+ mpg (got 40 on a longer trip with part of it having lower posted speed limits along the 2-lane local highways). My commute is about 30 miles each way mostly on the freeway, but I frequently get stuck in at least some rush-hour traffic. I also looked at some of the subcompacts but the mileage was typically similar and the anticipated safety and durability of the Civic was a tipping point with me. Like bats said, also decent room compared to those. Nissan has a couple vehicles that might be somewhat similar in mileage and power - Corolla and Versa - that have a little more headroom, IIRC from some test drives. I think they also can come with a CVT which is kinda nifty to drive, but I wasn't sure about the potential for additional repairs, etc., over time with those. My wife liked the Honda better as well, But the Corolla was probably my #2 choice at the time.

TV converter box
Jun 19, 2008, 11:42
TV converter box Jun 19, 2008, 11:42
Jun 19, 2008, 11:42

Anyone have recommendations for the TV converter boxes for analog -> digital signal conversion?

While we have Dish, I would like to get a box for our own possible use and probably one for my parents, who refuse to get satellite TV (and live too far out for cable) because my dad will not pay for TV.

I have a couple of the coupons from www.DTV2009.gov website, so I can get the discount on whatever I buy. Just wondering if anyone has any of these and can speak to features, ease of use/installation, or any significant differences (if there are any) between different models/brands, etc.

Thanks!

Re: Grillin' in the Rain
Jun 17, 2008, 12:19
Re: Grillin' in the Rain Jun 17, 2008, 12:19
Jun 17, 2008, 12:19

And grilling in high winds is not good either, as more oxygen is added to the fuel and the temperatures fluctuate wildly.

We've has several weeks of fairly windy weather and I noticed that a week or so ago - I was grilling and the grill temp was very inconsistent. Everything turned out OK, but it was a bit of a pain, relatively speaking....

Re: Grillin' in the Rain
Jun 17, 2008, 12:16
Re: Grillin' in the Rain Jun 17, 2008, 12:16
Jun 17, 2008, 12:16

Personally I'm not a big fan of sitting next to some metal grill when there's lightning flashing.

And if it's a very windy thunderstorm (like we had last week) then our yard will often lose 1-2 big branches that would do serious damage to a person/animal should they get hit.

Pansy.

Backyard work
Jun 17, 2008, 02:26
Backyard work Jun 17, 2008, 02:26
Jun 17, 2008, 02:26

So some backyard work is getting done. Thought some might want to follow along for kicks. I have started posting again on the house update blog I had going for the house itself - figured even if it is infrequent, I can update on whatever work we do here over the years.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Jun 16, 2008, 22:06
Re: No subject Jun 16, 2008, 22:06
Jun 16, 2008, 22:06

Truly amazing man with incredible talent - will be missed.

Agreed. Thanks for the creations you put forth, as they made movies a wonder to behold.

RIP, and know that you are missed.

Jun 16, 2008, 14:05
Re: No subject Jun 16, 2008, 14:05
Jun 16, 2008, 14:05

Well happy level-up day to all you all!

Ditto that!

Jun 12, 2008, 09:57
Re: No subject Jun 12, 2008, 09:57
Jun 12, 2008, 09:57

It is a problem with George Lucas. In all his series, every other one (in release order, not episode number) has always been less then great. See both Indys and Star Wars.

Which Indys are the worst? Which Star Wars are the worst?

Well, I disagree with the SW shows. I liked IV and V better than the rest. They got too "cutsey", starting with the Ewoks, droid army, and JarJar. Ick. If he just would have left that crap out, the whole series would have been so much better....

Jun 11, 2008, 13:41
Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 13:41
Jun 11, 2008, 13:41

Hey Bats-

Showed my wife that deal you pointed out on the Wii - she ordered it this morning.

I guess she really likes that thing.

Jun 10, 2008, 12:51
Re: No subject Jun 10, 2008, 12:51
Jun 10, 2008, 12:51

Thanks for the info guys - keep it coming if there is anything else you think of....

Nintendo Wii
Jun 10, 2008, 10:25
Nintendo Wii Jun 10, 2008, 10:25
Jun 10, 2008, 10:25

OK, so my wife visited a friend and played with a Wii - now she wants to get one. She was planning on getting me one for Father's Day (I bought myself a compound miter saw yesterday, but may take it back since my dad said he has an older one I can have - I'll have to see how functional it is, first). We have a 5-year old son who I am sure would love to play some as well.

I guess I am looking for recommendations for purchasing from some owners - what comes in the box, what are necessary add-ons, etc. I haven't used one myself yet. I think she liked the sports games, some other exercise game with a step or something, and a racing game (with a wheel?).

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2008, 17:23
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 17:23
Jun 9, 2008, 17:23

On a totally unrelated topic:

My inlaws are in Rome right now. They sent an email with this:

We saw the Pantheon and Trevi fountain today. Had a couple bonuses
today at PANTHEON. They were filming the sequel to the DaVinci Code at the
Pantheon. We saw Ron Howard directing. Then we went inside and there was a fancy
wedding taking place, while all the tourists snapped pictures.

So for any fans of the books/movie, a second film is on the way.

Jun 9, 2008, 10:08
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 10:08
Jun 9, 2008, 10:08

NBA nickname:

"Giant Squeeze".

Actually, it looks like it isn't name-based at all, because I tried it several times and I got different answers.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    193  ] Older