User information for Ron

Real Name
Ron
Nickname
Warhawk
Email
Concealed by request
Description
To prevent further misconception, the nick comes from the 85-ton assault mech that was a personal favorite in the MechWarrior game. But, then again, you probably don't care. But maybe you do....
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
July 27, 2004
Supporter
-
Total Posts
3853 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 5, 2008, 11:08
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 11:08
Nov 5, 2008, 11:08

Yeah, thats homophobia for ya.

But, but..... California is on the forefront of liberalness! We have San Francisco and LA! All these "enlightened" people who are a beacon to the left in the US! These are not homophobes!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Nov 5, 2008, 10:53
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 10:53
Nov 5, 2008, 10:53

Well, at least Props 2, 8, and 11 (here in California) are going to pass. That is a start.....

Kinda funny how this overwhelmingly left-leaning and liberal state passed 8, huh?

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 10:55.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Nov 5, 2008, 10:40
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 10:40
Nov 5, 2008, 10:40

He's never run a small business let alone a city or a state. Plus he was only in the Senate for a few months before deciding he could take on the job of Pres. Mind you that this was just months after he said he wasn't qualified to do the job.

oh please. thats the most uninformed crap about obama. youre probably one of those who shouted that obama is a terrorist at a mccain rally. obama knew he had to get into politics and indeed become president of the united states when he realized being a community organizer does not change society. read up on the man before you call him names.

Exactly what name was he calling Obama?

All he said was the truth. Obama did say he shouldn't run in 2008 because he didn't have the experience (paraphrasing here).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0f8_1223516589

He never even finished a Senate term before running for the office (and decided early - after only a few months - to run). He has never been a governor or run a business.

So, exactly why are you upset again? Because someone is speaking the truth?

I like Obama as an individual. I think he is a fantastic orator - but how does speaking well make you a presidential candidate? (If that is the case, let's just vote for James Earl Jones and call it good.) I just think he has NO experience that qualifies him for the office, and his history of voting almost 100% party line and just avoiding votes does not impress upon me that he is ready either. How is that "CHANGE"? I wish Colin Powell or Condi Rice had run (for example) on the R ticket, as I would have gladly voted for them. It's not a race thing, it is an experience thing. They are two people who, over time, have impressed me with their wisdom and leadership and knowledge.

Nov 5, 2008, 00:16
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 00:16
Nov 5, 2008, 00:16

He'll need a magic wand to do even half of what he has promised.

Edit: nin, I don't think we have ever had a President as radical as Obama. So it will be very interesting to see what happens over the course of this four year term.

And the majority in both houses, by all appearances. No excuses at all for not implementing whatever vision he has.

Nov 4, 2008, 23:42
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 23:42
Nov 4, 2008, 23:42

Now he has to do something over the next four years.

Yeah, I am REAL excited to see what kind of "change" he brings after all the fucking hype. I hope he doesn't tear apart the country in the process. I also hope he doesn't bring his hate-filled foul-mouthed preacher to the inauguration ceremony to preside over the oath of office. Yeah, that would be a real hoot. Rolleyes

Nov 4, 2008, 18:51
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 18:51
Nov 4, 2008, 18:51

Beyond that, getting into the religious aspect of it, is up to the respective churches. eg: if you belong to a church and need their approval to be married, the state should issue the union license.

I think the next concern here if 8 passes might be if someone who belongs to a church and is homosexual wants to get married in the church, but the church says no, would they be able to sue the church for discrimination or any other reason?

Nov 4, 2008, 18:35
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 18:35
Nov 4, 2008, 18:35

On the other side of the coin, who cares what other people do with their lives, it doesn't affect you. "I disagree with gays marrying" doesn't cut it, sorry. That's just a more politically correct way of saying "I don't like fags."

No, I just don't think they need to co-opt the term "marriage" from those of us who believe it describes a legal and religious joining of a man and a woman.

Sue me.

My cousin is a fantastic person, and we invite him and his friends to our family events all the time. We love having him around. We are open and accepting of how he lives his life. We think his friends are great people as well.

There is a religious aspect to marriage as well. For those who want the benefits of "marriage" but are homosexual, don't try to push an agenda onto the rest of us, just get a civil union and you have all the same rights and benefits. Next thing we will be fighting is bisexual, transsexual, polygamous, MBLA, and other groups wanting to "marry" as well. You have to draw the line somewhere. For me, it is the traditional man and woman definition of a marriage. That is where I choose to draw it, and so did over 60% of the state a few years ago before a couple liberal judges overturned it.

Nov 4, 2008, 16:52
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 16:52
Nov 4, 2008, 16:52

Marriage is a contract between two people. It is absurd that the state should not recognise such a contract simply on the basis of both parties being of the same gender.

It doesn't affect me or indeed any other 3rd party in any way, so I don't see how we have any cause to restrict their rights below that of ours.

Marriage also has religious and culteral connections.

Civil Unions give all the same rights - use that avenue if you are inclined.

Also, California was sued recently due to the removal of "Groom" and "Bride" on the marriage certificates (Party A and Party B was recently substituted) and they recanted, reverting back to the original language.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1293798.html

The Roseville couple had refused to sign the state's new marriage license forms which had replaced the words "bride" and "groom" with "Party A" and "Party B." Because of this, their marriage was not recognized by the state. The two sued.

On Monday, California state officials, saying they had heard from residents all over the state who want to be identified as "bride" and "groom" on their marriage license, said the state forms will be changed. Again.

Nov 4, 2008, 16:47
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 16:47
Nov 4, 2008, 16:47

That's why so many of us have been pushing for Prop 8 - to simply reinstate what we've already decided.

Exactly, and thanks for putting out that side of the story as well.

Nov 4, 2008, 16:45
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 16:45
Nov 4, 2008, 16:45

Exactly why, in my mind, we should have legalized unions that afford the same rights and benefits to homosexual couple as to a heterosexual couple

Exactly, and in California we do. That is all that is required for all the rights that married couples have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union

California

In California where domestic partnership has been available to same-sex couples since 2000, a wholesale revision of the law in 2005 has made it, like the New Jersey civil union law, equivalent to marriage in nearly every respect at the state level, though neither is recognized by the federal government.

All the anti-8 ads spout off how schools have no part of 8, how children will not be affected, and how the pro-8 ads are misleading.

If so, how come the teachers union is the largest individual donor to the anti-8 effort?

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=49266&catid=2

How come gay pledge cards are being handed out to kindergarten students?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,445865,00.html

How come a group of first graders was taken to a teacher's gay wedding as a field trip?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/11/MNFG13F1VG.DTL

There is a lot more here than is being admitted by the anti-8 group, and I don't like it.

Nov 4, 2008, 15:52
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 15:52
Nov 4, 2008, 15:52

Why you gotta be hatin' on other folks' love, man?

I have a gay cousin - he's probably my favorite one, too. I don't really care what he does in the bedroom, but I don't want legalized gay marriages. I think it is wrong.

Is prop 11 for high-speed rail? God I hope so. I never understood why California doesn't have high-speed rail. Seems so perfect for this big state.

No, that is 1A. And rail has problems here.

The state is big (in population) but very spread out in lots of cities. If you put stops in to service all the cities, it kinda removes the purpose of "high speed", as you spend all your time stopping and starting. If you limit it to just the few biggest cities, you lose ridership.

To fly from Sacramento to LAX and back is about $175 or so, and it is a 1±hour trip in the air. Problem is, you then have (for me) almost a one hour trip to the airport, 1-2 hours there for security and boarding, and at least an hour at the end getting luggage and a rental car. That's about 5 hours.

I can drive it in 6. And the cost of gas for my Honda Civic? It is about 350-400 miles from my house to LAX, and at 40 mpg (which I get on any extended drive) at even $3.00/gal (I filled up yesterday at $2.55), is about $60 round trip.

If I take people with me and we take our van, we are probably looking at about $100 round trip.

For a train, I don't see how the cost would be less than the flight and the trip would probably take about as long as the drive time, like the flight. No real advantage.

You also have to consider the probability of an earthquake along the San Andreas sometime, which would make for some very costly high-speed rail repairs as well.

That being said, the only reason I voted no on that proposition is the financial situation of the state right now. We have bonded ourselves into massive state shortfalls and unless it is a critical item, I have started voting no to all bond measures. We could use the jobs, though.

Re: Meh.
Nov 4, 2008, 12:47
Re: Meh. Nov 4, 2008, 12:47
Nov 4, 2008, 12:47

I agree about the electoral college. It can go away.

However, if it doesn't, I'd at least like to see the votes distributed proportionally among the candidates - for instance, here in CA all 55 go to the democrat every year even if 45% of us vote for the republican.....

Nov 4, 2008, 11:21
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 11:21
Nov 4, 2008, 11:21

But...you...already...did?

As much as I am going to. An Obama Presidency with Pelosi in charge of the House is absolutely frightening to me. But it looks like the people are clamoring for that, so what the hell.

All I can hope for at this point is that Propositions 2, 4, 8 and 11 all pass here in California.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 11:24.

Nov 4, 2008, 09:49
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 09:49
Nov 4, 2008, 09:49

So voting for a party that really doesn't represent you except in name only means you have to stay with them no matter what?

Voting for a party that doesn't even represent me in name is even worse.

She has more experience running a government than Obama, so I can't get too hung up on that, even if the left ignores that ugly little fact.

You never disputed this, so I assume you agree.

Obama represents something long overdue in Washington, and something the vast majority of people on all sides of the spectrum want... real change.

And what change is that?

He has NO history of working with another party (96% of votes followed party lines). He also has a record of frequently voting "present" instead of taking a stand on an issue.

And as soon as he runs for office, he stops requesting earmarks. Convenient.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/15/obama.earmarks/index.html

He is a great speaker, but that does not make him most qualified or the best person to be President.

Look, I don't want to get into it. I just think the sheeple look at Obama and say, ooooh, nice speech - let's make him President, and forget he's just a part of Chicago politics with no experience to back his run for the office.

And they say, "Yes, but he has Biden on the ticket!" Um, OK, but I'd rather have the first string QB the one with experience and not the guy sitting on the bench. That's ass-backwards in my book.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 09:52.

Nov 4, 2008, 01:40
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2008, 01:40
Nov 4, 2008, 01:40

I'm hoping McCain wins

Now don't go saying that. Cutter is gonna get upset. Wink

I'm hoping McCain wins but if Obama wins I won't hate. There's been too much hate for the last eight years. I think it's time to end it and come together.

I'm kinda in the same boat, but I just wish the Right could put together a ticket and a majority and do what they are supposed to instead of what they did. So I have been mad at my party but as a conservative, it's what I have to continue to support. I can't just bail on my beliefs because the party hasn't followed them.....

Argh. Veryangry

You just have to keep hoping that the next group will do a better job. I think McCain has/had(?) potential there. Palin was picked to go after women (I don't think that really succeeded all that well) and the more conservative crowd. She has more experience running a government than Obama, so I can't get too hung up on that, even if the left ignores that ugly little fact. I just wish there was someone else he could have picked to galvanize the party instead....

Nov 3, 2008, 23:54
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2008, 23:54
Nov 3, 2008, 23:54

I never realized before this year that folks could actually go to a polling place early to vote. In CA, the only way to vote early is absentee ballot, which my wife and I do. I guess I also assumed that early voting in other states was similar; maybe I just wasn't really paying attention.... Huh

Re: DONT VOTE
Nov 3, 2008, 22:18
Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 22:18
Nov 3, 2008, 22:18

Yup, the republicans are going with the lowest common denominator, she is in for no other reason then she is a woman, absolutly no credentials whatsoever and is proving that every single time she opens her mouth.

Funny, I am trying to figure out how Obama's legislative experience (as little as he has) qualifies him any more than her experience as a governor.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - he ran his campaign!

Barack Obama contends that he is more experienced in executive matters than Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because he has managed his presidential campaign for the past 18 months.

Speaking on a cable news channel Monday night, the Democratic presidential nominee said he is better prepared to handle a disaster like Hurricane Gustav because of his pursuit of the White House.

"Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has, I think, 50 employees. We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years," Obama said.

John McCain's spokesman called the suggestion "laughable."

"For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and its laughable. It is a testament to Barack Obama's inexperience and failing qualifications that he would stoop to passing off his candidacy as comparable to Governor Sarah Palin's executive experience managing a budget of over $10 billion and more than 24,000 employees," said spokesman Tucker Bounds.

Republican National Committee Victory 2008 Chairwoman Carly Fiorina also blasted the Democratic campaign.

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience. The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a mayor and governor than Barack Obama has made in his life," Fiorina said.

I would rather have an inexperienced VP than inexperienced P. But hey, that is just me.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 22:18.

Re: DONT VOTE
Nov 3, 2008, 16:19
Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 16:19
Nov 3, 2008, 16:19

That's something I was going to bring up, but forgot: When I went to vote, I didn't have to present any form of ID. I filled out my name, address, and DOB, they looked it up on the computer, and gave me a ballot.

I had my driver's license out, and they never bothered to ask for it...

WTF?

Now come on, why would you really want to know who is voting when you hand out a ballot? You would probably be offending someone to prove who they are. Ucrazy

That is one thing that kills me, though, is that everyone should have to provide ID at the time of voting (or a signature, etc., by absentee). This voting without ID is insane.

And don't get me started on Proposition 8 here in California....

Nov 3, 2008, 11:18
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2008, 11:18
Nov 3, 2008, 11:18

I early voted last Friday.

My wife and I are permanent absentee voters - we voted a couple weeks ago. Then we get REALLY sick of all the campaign ads.

Re: Command & Conquer Generals 2 Hints?
Nov 3, 2008, 10:41
Re: Command & Conquer Generals 2 Hints? Nov 3, 2008, 10:41
Nov 3, 2008, 10:41

overt political leanings, a complete lack of character, a craptastic engine and the absence of acted cutscenes

Maybe so, but when I play some C&C scrimage games against the computer, this is the game I keep putting in. I liked it better than the others.

3853 Comments. 193 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    193  ] Older