Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for brandon

Real Name brandon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname beigemore
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://blaze.kinetix.net/
Signed On Jul 14, 2004, 20:43
Total Comments 354 (Amateur)
User ID 21298

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Flare & Duct Tape Mods
43. Re: If Anyone Cares... Aug 9, 2004, 16:45 beigemore

I've made a small mod that was built on the ductape mod.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use "give all" and "god" in the console instead of using a "mod" like that?

Therefore, you have to seriously consider whether to use a weaker weapon that has a light attached to it or pull out the big guns and shoot blindly in the darkness. Keeps the game strategic.

...or you could just play the single player game the way the developers intended and actually use skill to fight in darker areas. I don't see why people are making such a big deal about the lack of light in some places. I finished the game on veteran mode in two days and never had a problem with fighting in the dark. It was too easy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 04:07 beigemore

I thought both AVP games were too dark, though I did enjoy playing them. I didn't have a problem with Doom 3's darkness levels.

The whole flashlight thing is completely idiotic. Is the game supposed to be realistic or not?

Yes, it is completely realistic with a corporate science facility on mars that is researching teleportation technology and accidentally teleports to hell and brings hell to mars... not to mention the realistic zombies and plasma rifles. It's a game. Play it for what it is.

Would you rather all games merge into one giant game so you have every possible piece of equipment ever conceived in a game? If it would work as a pacifier for you, then perhaps it's not too far fetched after all.

19. No subject Aug 8, 2004, 15:33 beigemore

Duct tape mod, in my opinion, should be a feature of another full blown mod, not just an add on that helps ruin single player. The flares aren't too bad of an idea if they do no damage, however. Having to choose over a non-damaging flare or an unlit explosive you must toss seem fair, as long as you can't have both.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Trailer
199. Re: chainsaw Aug 1, 2004, 11:42 beigemore

Doom 3 editor tutorials for beginners at http://blaze.spicelab.net/doom3/

177. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 03:42 beigemore

While I do agree, Id is the grandaddy of FPS and this engine is pretty and will rock... the whole nobody makes a better dathmatch/engine is arguable at best with the Unreal Engine. Lets not kid ourselves. Unreal Engine 3.0 is pretty impressive and less than 3 years away... I will go out on a limb and guarantee it sooner than 1.5-2 years since PS.30 is already out in DX9c and nVidia cards.

Remember, Carmack has already been doing work on the next revision of the Doom 3 engine for id's next game. I do agree that the new Unreal engine looks amazing, but I don't expect id to be left behind in Epic's dust. Before anyone makes the argument that a modified Doom 3 engine won't be as big of a jump as Epic's new engine, remember that Epic is constantly just updating their current engine code... which is similar to what id has been doing. I expect both Epic's and id's next games will be very comparable.

114. No subject Aug 1, 2004, 00:22 beigemore

Perhaps the chainsaws are used for cutting certain metals (pipes) or thick pvc-ish materials.

OMG WHY IS THE DOOM GUY USING A REGULAR GYM BAG TO CARRY HIS STUFF IN THE INTRO INSTEAD OF A LASER GUIDED HOVER BACKPACK WITH FUSION POWERED THERMOS.

Sometimes lowtech is still very cool and even practical.

94. Re: Low expectations- High hopes! Jul 31, 2004, 20:13 beigemore

Breakable lights in multiplayer is up to the mapper's descretion. Each light placed will have to be made breakable via triggers. I doubt this will be a feature used in most mp maps.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Guide
69. doom 3 Jul 29, 2004, 22:15 beigemore

Several local Gamestops (not just the one near me, but local to various people across IRC) are now telling customers that they'll be SELLING Doom 3 on August 1st. It's doubtful, but they seem adamant about it.

News Comments > More Bizz Buzz - Acclaim's Nasdaq Warning
4. No subject Jul 29, 2004, 22:11 beigemore

Wizards & Warriors for NES

Some of the Double Dragon games for various platforms

News Comments > No Win98 DOOM 3
82. No subject Jul 28, 2004, 01:23 beigemore

If you want to play DOS games in 2k/XP, I suggest trying DOSbox. It's a DOS emulator that runs a ton of software and supports all kinds of old hardware. It even runs protected mode games (in the CVS build) like Duke3D and Doom. It's at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Also, upgrading your OS in respect to Windows is sort of like buying a new television. Sure, your old one works and does its job, but a newer is much nicer with more features.

News Comments > No Win98 DOOM 3
69. No subject Jul 28, 2004, 01:03 beigemore

I only have Win95. Since it only says that Win98 is unsupported then I'll be ok, right?

News Comments > Half-Life Hitbox Bug
14. No subject Jul 25, 2004, 14:12 beigemore

Doom 3 is going to be great.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Music & SDK Plans
53. Re: editing Jul 19, 2004, 15:46 beigemore

The Doom 3 map editor is almost exactly like the standard Quake editor called Radiant (qeradiant/q3radiant/etc). The most notable difference is the ability to view and hear what your map looks and sounds like in the portal window as it would be rendered in game. The light editor is pretty extensive with many more options than just choosing color and intensity. When you have rendered mode on, it will show what the lighting looks like and will play the sounds effects near you according to your current position in the view portal. So basically if the lighting or sound is off, you can just move the entities around and not have to do a seven hour recompile of the map (huge time saver).

If you want to map for Doom 3, mess around with making Quake 3 maps. Pretty much all Quake 3 mapping tutorials will apply to Doom 3 mapping. Quake 3 maps can take a long time to compile, and even though it is believed you don't have to compile Doom 3 maps, you still have to do a short compile for Doom 3, but it doesn't take NEARLY as long as it used to.

So from what I've experienced, you aren't actually walking around in the game building a map while jumping and shooting. The rendering engine is just present in the editor (the game runs in the "background" while you run the editor and you can switch back and forth between the two, but the game isn't idling in your map or anything), which allows you to see what your map is really like in real time, removing a lot of the guess work with lights and sounds.

There is scripting syntax that lets you manipulate cameras, display (ie, fade to black), make moving objects, control machines, etc. There is also a sepearte GUI scripting engine with a windowing system (though very different, it's like desiging a web page where you choose where the buttons are, etc) so you can make calls to the map script to turn a machine on, etc.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Press Release
56. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2004, 16:48 beigemore

In response to #52..

If you had read anything about the game before posting your uninformed propaganda, you would have known that the four player setting for multiplayer is how the game will ship but is not hard coded into the game. Id has specifically stated that the number of players can be changed by mod developers without hassle and is NOT forever limited to only four players.

Let's see which mod developers don't choose the Doom 3 engine. Watch what happens.

354 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo