Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2951 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2018, 13:56 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 6, 2018, 12:18:
controversial Nike Ad, it's damn good

It is damn good. The fact that it will piss off conservitards is just sweet, sweet buttercream icing on the cake. Maybe they can show us just how angry they are...by burning the stuff they have already bought and paid for. That'll show us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Jacksonville Tribute
2. Re: EA Jacksonville Tribute Today Sep 6, 2018, 12:09 Burrito of Peace

EA's latest press release:

"In memory of the tragedy in Jacksonville, we will be offering a 25% discount on all loot crates for all Battlefield titles. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families.

Don't forget to checkout our new Urban Warfare skin pack!"

News Comments > Anthem Demo in February
22. Re: Anthem Demo in February Sep 4, 2018, 08:58 Burrito of Peace

This is the only video I have watched for Anthem and what I am left with is the impression that this is Bioware trying to do a sci-fi Guild Wars.  

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
5. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 4, 2018, 08:03 Burrito of Peace

I'll just wait for the inevitable evolution to "unregulated pre-citizen labor".  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2018, 22:54 Burrito of Peace

Nibiru confirmed! Half-Life 3 will be released when the confirmation is released to the public by NASA.  

News Comments > Battlefield V Chat Will Have Profanity Filter
6. Re: . Sep 2, 2018, 22:53 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Sep 2, 2018, 18:17:
Has a profanity filter ever done anything but annoy people to the point that they have to turn it off when it blocks normal words?

Dick Cockbourne from Scunthorpe would probably agree with that statement.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2018, 21:22 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2018, 12:33:
I do think Cutter, Beamer, Bats and I are just a few of the really old guard left. We've had some prolific posters for several years, and then they leave again (or skulk. I think Ray is probably still around, Warpig probably too, but they don't seem to post anymore.)

I wonder if Zathrus still visits.

What am I, chopped liver?! 2004 reg date.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2018, 18:37 Burrito of Peace

I just noticed this "Established 1995. Over a billion visitors since 1997." Is this new or have I just missed it all this time?

Either way, it's awesome that BN has had over a billion visitors.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2018, 18:35 Burrito of Peace

It is currently 104 where I live. I just spent the last 9 hours outside working on my lawn tractor. I am wrung out. We will get a "break" in the heat on Monday in that it will "only" be 98 degrees with "only" 69% humidity.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. FCC can define markets with only one ISP as “competitive,” court rules. Aug 29, 2018, 19:45 Burrito of Peace

Oh FFS. Time for another American Revolution...if you can get people's assess off the couch and their faces out of their TVs and phones long enough.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 29, 2018, 14:26 Burrito of Peace

Sorry, Bethesda, you lose this round. You set a mighty high bar back on 11/11/11 with Skyrim and it is still quite playable and replayable today.

But then the Witcher 3 happened which upped the stakes considerably on what a CRPG could, should, and would be. You released Fallout 4 which was, uh, less than its predecessors and especially less than Skyrim.

CDPR is now showing off Cyberpunk 2077 which looks to yet again raise the bar of what a CRPG can do. Your response is Fallout '76 which, as far as I can tell, very few people asked for or wanted. You might even bring up the argument that Fallout '76 was in development long before CP2077 showed up on the landscape and I would grant you that. But it wasn't in development before the release of Skyrim. You needed to surpass Skyrim in quality, content, and longevity.

It doesn't and every thing you've revealed publicly about F76 makes me think you're actually backing down and away from what you yourselves accomplished with Skyrim.

You could say "But we heard you guys totally wanted Fallout and to be able to play with other humans!" We did, you're right, but almost everytime I have seen this request, it was for coop. Coop PvE, in point of fact. Not coop PvEvP. Just coop PvE so we could tell our own stories with our friends within the Fallout and Elder Scrolls universes. That's all you had to give us. We would have been happy, you would have made a hojillion dollars (provided the game was at least equal to F:NV or Skyrim), and quite possibly we would have solved world hunger, world peace, and cured cancer in the process.

I predict you're going to stumble pretty hard with this. You're going to come out 4-6 months after F76's release and say that it didn't perform as expected. You'll trot out the excuse that players didn't understand your "vision" or that players are "fatigued" with the IP. You won't be honestly introspective enough to realize you missed the clues for what would have been a megaseller because you were chasing short term profit instead.

Go back to old Bethesda. The one who made interesting, dynamic, and daring games. Ask to have lunch with CDPR so they can reinvigorate you on what makes a good, compelling, and long lasting game.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. NVIDIA Controls AIB Launch and Driver Distribution Aug 29, 2018, 08:30 Burrito of Peace

Jesus, Nvidia have just become blatant dicks now. I understand NDAs for unreleased products to protect trade secrets but this is ridiculous. Five fucking years NDA length? An intentional chilling effect for independent reviewers? That's ridiculous. There will be no more Nvidia products in my future.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Hidden Message
21. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Hidden Message Aug 28, 2018, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

Desalus wrote on Aug 28, 2018, 11:42:
Why are the woman's breasts right in front of the camera? When you carry someone in your arms their chest would not be right in front of your eyes.

Depends how you carry them, really. I tend to carry people up high so that some of their body weight is shifted against and carried by my chest and the rest is carried by my upper arms and shoulders. It prevents stress and strain on the lower back to do so. Also, remember, the view is obviously shown as the PC looking down at the person she is carrying. Later, her view shifts up when she sees the arrival of the trauma team.

The carry position seems perfectly fine to me and the bare breasts were a non-issue.

As for the language used, that is also a matter of perspective. It is not uncommon to hear a litany of expletives in my job and I work in IT. How we speak amongst ourselves is obviously different than how we speak among others. That, I think, was shown well in the video. She and Jack, obviously friends for some time, talk to each other in the way they want and is contained within the relationship they have with one another. However, when the PC interacts with others, the language is different which shows varying levels of familiarity. That, too, seems perfectly fine to me.

As for the game itself, I'm all kinds of excited. This will be a pre-order for me as soon as it becomes available and I'll probably play it a bajillion times through like I did Skyrim, Fallout, and other open world games. Totally hyped.

News Comments > Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated]
77. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 27, 2018, 10:56 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2018, 09:17:
So how do you change "we, as a culture?" Or do you just accept that this keeps going on?

Also, why don't we start with banning guns not used for farming and rural life? Goodby AR-15s, hello more pistols and single shot rifles. Which yes, are often used, but to smaller results.

That's a good question, Beamer. One, unfortunately, for which I don't have a simple, quick, or easy answer. We can start with stopping the fetishizing of guns and the "every man's a hero" idology. I think one of the things that stands in stark contrast to what we as Americans fantasize about shooting and killing another person is the actual experience of combat veterans. Create a national ad campaign where they explain to the country their experience in frank detail. I have never met a combat veteran who was well adjusted who cried in joy "FUCK YEAH! I SLAUGHTERED A WHOLE GODDAMNED SQUAD AND IT WAS AWESOME!" They've all been quiet about it, some even still harbor feelings of guilt even though in the situation they killed to preserve their life and/or the lives of their fellow servicepeople. Having that raw emotional impact would, I think, help dissuade the belief that Bob in Accounting is the equivalent of Rambo.

I'm 100% onboard with the removal of sale of assault rifles for civilian use. There will never be a justifiable use case scenario for a civilian to have a 30 round magazine. However, I disagree with limiting rifles to single shot. On several occasions, the 4 round magazine in my Ruger 99/44 has saved me from injury from a charging javalina that burst out of the brush at less than 20 yards. Likewise, the 8 round en bloc clip in my M1 is useful for thinning out the coyote attacks. We have an especially difficult time because the development in Austin and surrounding areas is pushing coyotes further out and in to what the local Park and Wildlife folks are calling "super packs" because of their unusually large sizes. 10 rounds or less is a limitation that I could and would fully support.

64. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 27, 2018, 08:05 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2018, 03:28:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 22:17:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 22:02:
Apostle wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 21:39:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 19:36:
Also, the solution is glaringly obvious: gun control.

Prohibition works. That's why there are no drugs or prostitutes in America.

Works for guns. Look at Europe and East Asia. I've already provided links and stats.

The problem is one of false equivalency. Neither Asia nor Europe started their countries or developed their countries where personal arms ownership were enshrined in law. At this point, there are so many long guns, pistols, and revolvers in the wild that any sort of prohibition would be equivalent to closing the door to the barn not only after the horses had all left but also after it had burned to the ground.

Moreover, you would need to repeal the Second Amendment which at this point would be a rather quixotic affair. That doesn't even include the long drawn out process of actually trying to collect those firearms out in the wild which would more than likely bring up a lawsuit, or lawsuits, based on the 4th Amendment which would need to wend its way all the way up to the Supreme Court. Should that somehow get struck down, you can bet someone is going to file a lawsuit based on the 9th Amendment and that is going to be a much trickier case to win in favor of a new Prohibition.

But, let's say that the stars all aligned in your favor and a new Prohibition is enacted and enforced. First, you're not going to get even a majority of the firearms in the wild because private sales are not held to the same registration standards as a store. Then you have to deal with the enormous amounts of CNC machines out there because they can be used to create new firearms, let alone 3D printers which is yet another cornucopia of either parts or straight up fully complete units.

It's just flatout not going to work in any real sense in a country founded upon the idea that a person has the right to own a firearm without onerous government intervention and the billions of dollars from SIGs, PACs, and private donations that have and will continue to go in to upholding that right.

Not saying it won't be hard. But we're pretty much the only industrialized nation that hasn't figured this out yet. Other countries have, including ones with traditionally high gun ownership like Australia, Canada, and Switzerland. We've tackled difficult issues before as a nation. The rights of women and minorities have drastically improved over the past several decades as attitudes and laws have changed. Ditto toward smoking. Ditto toward cannabis use.
And attitudes toward gays and gay marriage have swung 180 degrees in less than a decade. Massive change can happen quickly with the right arguments and exposure.

It's already starting to happen with RE to guns: look at how the NRA is losing corporate sponsors and finding itself more isolated.

It's not that it won't be hard, it is that it is quite literally impossible from both a legal and manufacturing standpoint.

You keep bringing up other countries as examples while not taking in to account the very real and substantial differences in culture. We, as a culture, have firearms deeply engrained within it. The possession and ownership of it is so important to us that we enshrined it within the very documents that founded this country. We have roughly 250 years of established culture and legal precedence putting firearms in the hands and homes of anyone who wants them, provided they aren't part of a small group serving as a restricted class.

You're not going to magically get rid of that in one, two, or even three generations. You would need to significantly shift the bedrock of the United States to make that happen and that isn't going to happen. Moreover, you'll have people like me who will fight you tooth and nail to the grave to prevent a new Prohibition because firearms are a useful tool in my way of life. A way of life that would be significantly and negatively impacted by that very Prohibition.

Let's not forget that most of the US is rural and the life that people lead in a city is radically different than the life a person who lives on a ranch, farm, or out in a rural area lives. How would you like me to keep the coyotes away from my cattle, especially my calves? Rocks and harsh language? What about the javalina that will quite literally break down fences to get to our gardens (actual produce bearing gardens)? Catch and release? Are you going to buy cages and a means of transporting them to some far off location at no cost to me? What about the plethora of copperheads and occasional cottonmouth we see annually? I've literally had to shoot copperheads on my back porch with snakeshot over the years for the safety of my family and of my pets.

While I wholeheartedly agree that mass shootings are tragic and unjust, a blanket statement of "just ban the guns" is impractical and wholly inappropriate "solution" to the wider population across the US.

35. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 26, 2018, 22:58 Burrito of Peace

Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 22:20:
And at least I don't make personal attacks to try to back up my arguments.

Oh really?

Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 18:52:
I love how y'all are all making jokes about this when 3-4 people lost their lives in a state of terror mere hours ago and others are in the hospital wounded. What a world we live in. Pathetic. Grow up.

But what you are referring to is an ad hominem, which I did not employ.

Thanks for trying though. Would you like a gold star or a pat on the head for participating?

32. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 26, 2018, 22:17 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 22:02:
Apostle wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 21:39:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 19:36:
Also, the solution is glaringly obvious: gun control.

Prohibition works. That's why there are no drugs or prostitutes in America.

Works for guns. Look at Europe and East Asia. I've already provided links and stats.

The problem is one of false equivalency. Neither Asia nor Europe started their countries or developed their countries where personal arms ownership were enshrined in law. At this point, there are so many long guns, pistols, and revolvers in the wild that any sort of prohibition would be equivalent to closing the door to the barn not only after the horses had all left but also after it had burned to the ground.

Moreover, you would need to repeal the Second Amendment which at this point would be a rather quixotic affair. That doesn't even include the long drawn out process of actually trying to collect those firearms out in the wild which would more than likely bring up a lawsuit, or lawsuits, based on the 4th Amendment which would need to wend its way all the way up to the Supreme Court. Should that somehow get struck down, you can bet someone is going to file a lawsuit based on the 9th Amendment and that is going to be a much trickier case to win in favor of a new Prohibition.

But, let's say that the stars all aligned in your favor and a new Prohibition is enacted and enforced. First, you're not going to get even a majority of the firearms in the wild because private sales are not held to the same registration standards as a store. Then you have to deal with the enormous amounts of CNC machines out there because they can be used to create new firearms, let alone 3D printers which is yet another cornucopia of either parts or straight up fully complete units.

It's just flatout not going to work in any real sense in a country founded upon the idea that a person has the right to own a firearm without onerous government intervention and the billions of dollars from SIGs, PACs, and private donations that have and will continue to go in to upholding that right.

29. Re: Fatal Shooting at Game Tournament [Updated] Aug 26, 2018, 21:55 Burrito of Peace

Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 18:52:
I love how y'all are all making jokes about this when 3-4 people lost their lives in a state of terror mere hours ago and others are in the hospital wounded. What a world we live in. Pathetic. Grow up.

Daniel, we need to have a bit of a chat. You see, Danny Boy, mass shootings have become so de rigeur that we aren't shocked by them. Hell, most of us don't even bat an eye.

Perhaps Instagram or Tumblr would be a better locale for your outrage. Especially given the age of the people who frequent this site. Most of us are middle aged and take this sort of thing in stride because we've seen it before and we know we'll see it again.

On the campus where I work, it is not uncommon to go through a lockdown 4-5 times a year due to an armed person on campus. All I do is get up, lock my office door, and then go back to whatever it was I was doing. It doesn't even phase me anymore.

Take that concept and apply it to a national level. That's where we are today and likely for the foreseeable future. Moreover, no one gives a fuck that you get your panties in a wad and want to try and scold us for our jaded cynicism. You come off as a pollyanna and are rightly laughed at for your attempts.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 Burrito of Peace

Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 00:33:
No matter how drunk or high I have been in my life I have never made jokes about raping or abusing children. Much less posted them on a platform for the whole world to see. Defend this POS all you want but in my book if you ever joke about that there is no redemption. Might be harsh, might be wrong, but that is my opinion. I think he is a good director and enjoyed previous films such as Slither but can't respect him as a person and don't think Disney should have any loyalty and stick by him. I think everyone should have a chance to recover from bad judgement and the mistakes of youth but for me this is unacceptable. Appreciate your point though.

Your sacred cow makes delicious steaks and burgers.

Farewell, Mr. McCain, and enjoy your trip through the cosmos. As others have said, I didn't always agree with his stances on certain political issues. However, he was one of the few politicians who understood that he was helping to govern an entire country, not a political tribe trying to score points at the expense of others.

He was a man I could and did respect for his unwavering commitment to the betterment of this country. I'm not even a Republican and I feel he helped make some important, correct choices for myself and my fellow citizens. His kind are rare in our current political climate.

May he be remembered as an example for the next generation of politicians to come.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 24, 2018, 18:50 Burrito of Peace

The more I read about the RTX line, the more I am inclined to pass on it. I'm not seeing a significant upgrade enough to justify the cost.

I think Nvidia shot themselves in the foot with this one, especially in light of hyping a technology that does not have immediate benefits and is in only a few titles. By the time a good chunk of titles support ray-tracing, the RTX boards will be long in the tooth.

2951 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo