Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2445 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 11:15 Burrito of Peace

I have a rule when I move: If I haven't touched something in 6 months, it gets donated or tossed with the exception being spare parts for things I use regularly.

Makes moving easier and far less of a hassle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Cannonlake 15% faster than Kaby Lake Feb 10, 2017, 09:50 Burrito of Peace

I'm at a point where I no longer care about processor frequency (as that hasn't been a bottleneck in at least a decade) but what I do care about is core availability. While normally an Intel stalwart, Ryzen has piqued my interest with their 8 core design for less than the cost of a down payment on a new vehicle. If they can roll that over to the Opteron line that is less expensive but at least as performant as a Xeon with 8 cores at a 4 core price, I'll scoop one up.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 22:12 Burrito of Peace

With regards to Babylon 5, I'm reasonably sure I read an interview with either the animation lead or one of the animators (this was ages ago in a magazine mid to late 90s), where they talked about rendering on the Amiga in 640x480 for the exact same reasons as mentioned in the ST link. That's the NTSC standard and no one at the time dreamed that we'd have HD or UHD. The only types of televisions that were in the average consumers' home were CRT types and they'd never see the difference in higher resolutions ever. They were probably filmed on actual film in the same way that DS9 and Voyager were in the beginning and that was on real film.

So, unfortunately, we'll never see BRs of Babylon 5. Sucks because that's my favorite sci fi show ever.

News Comments > Diluvion Released
6. Re: Diluvion Released Feb 3, 2017, 09:07 Burrito of Peace

Another vote for "the controls are terrible" and the camera itself is way too close to the ass end of the ship.  

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Announced
4. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 09:06 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 04:03:
Which makes the fact that the political/diplomacy overhaul isn't mentioned all the more weird. It seems this DLC goes for the low hanging fruit first ;/

No, because the Utopia DLC and the Banks update are separate from one another.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 19:40 Burrito of Peace

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 13:33:
I don't believe this to be true at all...I can't see why certain systems can't run asynchronously via some internal service that is dedicated to an available core.

It isn't true. Multiple cores work in every situation due to how modern OSes* interleave workloads behind the scenes. What is true, however, is that we've been stuck on quad cores on the desktop side for so long that it's really, really difficult to determine when any given core is going to be free. If we had octocores as standard, for example, we could reserve 4 for the OS and background tasks and the remaining four for an application in the foreground. We're also still I/O bound, even with advances in flash memory. Outside of applications designed to specifically do so, it's extremely difficult and not your average use case to saturate a CPU.

There was a pretty decent interview or AMA with one of the programmers on The Witcher 3 that discussed this as part of that. They stated that the Core i5 min spec was because at minimum, they wanted to use two out of four cores during play, even though the GPU does a lot of the heavy lifting. I think we'll see a more refined version of that multi-core use in Cyberpunk 2077.

*Modern OSes being Windows 8, 8.1, 10, and most Linux distros. Except for Debian, that creaky old cunt.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 31, 2017, 08:17 Burrito of Peace

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:44:
I routinely install fiber in brand new, $600k+ houses, where there's coax to every wall and cat5 to nothing. Too fucking bad!

This is something I do not understand. When I had my current home built, I specced Cat6A runs to every room in the house and the garage except for the bathrooms. The next house will also have Cat6A cables so that everything except mobile devices can and will be hardwired. The speed difference is enormous between wired and wi-fi.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
12. Re: Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week Jan 31, 2017, 08:09 Burrito of Peace

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 22:31:
The reality is for a lot of people, everyone has a parent and that's something they can relate to. Not everyone has a kid, and that's something you can't relate to unless you have one. I and my one sister have no problems "getting" the story, my youngest sister and a friend I've had since childhood who don't have kids yet? They can't get the storyline. To them it feels "meh" and I fully get that. Compare that to the other FO stories, saving people because you're the best likely candidate or to save your tribe, revenge because someone tried to kill you and so on. Those latter ones are tried and true methods of tying you into the RPG.

That's a damn fine explanation. Like many others, I felt FO4's story was "meh" at best and more often than not just boring and I absolutely do not have children that I am legally aware of. The setting didn't much lend itself to any sort of excitement, either. Boston, at least in the Fallout universe, was one of the most boring places we've been taken.

Whomever at Bethesda is in charge of their story department needs to go see a shrink and deal with their dysfunctional family issues. FO3? Daddy abandonment issues. FO4? Father-son abandonment issues.

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
18. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 11:58 Burrito of Peace

For me, MD had a sense of generic sameness that caused me to be disinterested with it after about 15 hours of gameplay. Going back and forth across Prague where nothing seemed to change just got boring and I could never really get invested in the story. Also, this time around, Jensen just irked me. The whisper-growl is played out and the story itself seemed to be...hackneyed, tired, or done before. At least up until the point I played. Jensen also comes off as an unsympathetic raging asshole. I'm not looking for Mr. Rogers, but something relatable would have been nice.

I had a much more enjoyable time with Satellite Reign, despite some of its rougher elements, in scratching my cyperpunk itch. As someone upthread said, I also think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to come out and erase Deus Ex for collective memories, for the same reason that The Witcher 3 destroyed the RPG genre attempts of other studios.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 29, 2017, 23:25 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 22:46:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 21:10:
The MSI thing is why I exclusively buy workstation class boards. I don't give a shit about gimmicky crap, I just want a solid, stable, reliable board.

You think this is a MSI only thing?
SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (from Asus)
^^

No, far from it. Thus why I don't buy "gaming" motherboards.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 29, 2017, 21:10 Burrito of Peace

The MSI thing is why I exclusively buy workstation class boards. I don't give a shit about gimmicky crap, I just want a solid, stable, reliable board.  

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale
16. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 28, 2017, 00:39 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 12:53:
How much DLC does Stellaris have and how much will it have before year end?

Two. One cosmetic and the other game play expansion. Two more are planned this year (according to the dev diary from October, I think) that are content packs. Of course, this doesn't count the 4 game updates planned for 2017 which adds more game content, revised and new game systems, and more late game surprises....totally free.

Having watched a few LP vids of Star Ruler 2, it seems like the kind of game you play when extensive macros in Excel give you wood.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale
5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 27, 2017, 01:13 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 22:53:
Any verdict on which current 4X game is "the best", or at least highly recommended?

Stellaris. Frequent updates with free shit, constantly improving gameplay, excellent mods, and a thriving community.

News Comments > ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement
3. Re: ACE COMBAT 7: Skies Unknown PC Announcement Jan 26, 2017, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

Please no stupid in-flight refueling.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
12. Re: Prey in May Jan 26, 2017, 08:06 Burrito of Peace

rawbelly wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 02:04:
We need an old abandoned Football stadium somewhere where masses of people can just show up and beat each other to death, gladiator style. Get it out of their systems.

Do you want Thunderdome? Because that's how you get Thunderdome.

News Comments > Apocalypse Now - the Game Kickstarter
14. Re: Apocalypse Now - the Game Kickstarter Jan 26, 2017, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 07:13:
I'd like to a see Vietnam era game...

As would I and I want to see it done in the vein of Spec Ops: The Line. No "America! Fuck yeah!" bullshit, but honest, moral choices that are difficult as fuck to make. Buttstroke the kid that may be loaded with a grenade toddling toward a troop transport, thus potentially saving your squad, or let the kid approach because they might not have a grenade?

Raze some shithole village surrounded by rice paddies because they might be Charlie sympathizers or take them at their word when they say they aren't and leave it be?

Have an existential conversation about the uselessness of a protracted war with no clearly defined goals with your squadmate while dug in as bullets scream by overhead.

Show Vietnam for what it was.

But also, remember, CHARLIE...DON'T...SURF!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
16. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 25, 2017, 23:20 Burrito of Peace

Limit Theory, yet another No Man's Sky in the making that people on this very site felated exuberantly whenever links were posted about it.

NMS, LT, and games like it (including Star Citizen of which I backed many, many years ago for $20, I think) are never, ever going to happen on today's hardware with today's programming language. There simply isn't enough raw horsepower to deliver what's promised and there's not a language yet created that can abstract and then extrapolate the mass flood of data needed to create a dynamic experience in a way that is fast, flexible, and approachable by the average coder.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2017, 17:33 Burrito of Peace

BobBob wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 13:32:
When I order something via Amazon Prime, how do I know if it has free return shipping? Or is that always a given?

Return shipping is always free and they credit your billing method as soon as they get notification that you have either dropped off the package at a UPS location or UPS has picked it up from your home.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided A Criminal Past Next Month
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided A Criminal Past Next Month Jan 24, 2017, 11:42 Burrito of Peace

I couldn't finish this game. It just became boring and I got disinterested.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Steam Quietly Adds the Ability to Move Game Install Folders. Jan 20, 2017, 23:32 Burrito of Peace

OK, but can I finally put my Steam directory on a network drive (not a share, but an actually mapped network drive)?  

2445 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo