Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 3059 (Veteran)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 20, 2018, 18:04 Burrito of Peace

I'd like a standing a desk, there's just never enough room for all my monitors.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 19, 2018, 19:06 Burrito of Peace

I have a Note 8 and I think my next phone after this is going to be a reversion to my old Note 3 because nothing satisfies my wants. Granted, I don't upgrade phones very often. For example, I upgraded from a Note 3 to a Note 8. So my cycle is about every four years. Even so, I am no longer seeing the value in "flagship" phones at $1000 or more. Especially in light of the fact that no "flagship" phone possesses a user serviceable battery and usable, non-gimmicky features are disappearing. I don't find camera "upgrades" important because I don't jerk off to selfies like a self-entitled dickwad.

Kept my old Note 3 around, though, because it is rooted and I can update the OS on it as needed and still swap in new batteries if I need to as well.

The Purism Librem is my kind of phone, on paper, but there is a lot of "TBD"s still listed and not a lot of new info about its development.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2018, 06:10 Burrito of Peace

SMITE wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 01:52:
I wonder what kind of car that was in the TV show clip. It looked really cool.

Ford Fusion. Unless you're being sarcastic and then I need to get my meter readjusted.

News Comments > Steam Adds Australian Pricing
9. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 19:13 Burrito of Peace

You know, if Aussies were to purchase a subscription to a quality, non-logging VPN service, and then corsair their way to arrrquisitions, I wouldn't blame them at all.  

News Comments > Railroad Corporation Announced
1. Re: Railroad Corporation Announced Nov 15, 2018, 12:24 Burrito of Peace

So this looks like an updated version of Sid Meier's Railroads.  

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?
40. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 15, 2018, 08:24 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 13:08:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 20:46:
I just remember drinking Jolt and Dr. Pepper by the case load way back in the day. Sometimes we'd stay up 72 hours straight, just wired and jittery and talking shit at each other over a LAN game of Doom.

Didn't you mention you have trouble sleeping these days?

Yup! Hmmmmm...corollary? Those were the days where I could sleep 14 hours a day. If I could go back, I'd grab my younger self and pull a Billy Madison ala "Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2018, 14:25 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 11:50:
So you go into a bank... and wait in a line... and talk to someone?

Seems nuts.

People go in to banks at all?

Seems nuts.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers Nov 14, 2018, 12:29 Burrito of Peace

Will these help with performance in Rimworld?  

5. Re: breaks leg and crawls Nov 14, 2018, 11:51 Burrito of Peace

I'm sure Pickle Jar Guy will be all over today's celebration of the pickle.  

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?
30. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 13, 2018, 20:46 Burrito of Peace

I just remember drinking Jolt and Dr. Pepper by the case load way back in the day. Sometimes we'd stay up 72 hours straight, just wired and jittery and talking shit at each other over a LAN game of Doom.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2018, 20:43 Burrito of Peace

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 19:01:
I was never a fan of comic books either. I vaguely recall liking the X-men cartoon that aired on weekday afternoons in the early 90s, but I certainly didn't develop any lasting bonds of childhood nostalgia for it like I did for Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, and Animaniacs. Likewise, the Marvel Cinematic Universe does nothing for me. The films are generally watchable and inoffensive, but I could go my entire life without seeing any of them and don't think my life would be any poorer for it. Given the apparent overlap between video game and comic book fandom, I must admit that I'm left scratching my head anytime the latter intrudes upon the former.

I feel you although my nostalgia is Fraggle Rock, He-Man, and GI Joe. The only one that held up is Fraggle Rock, unfortunately. Likewise, the Marvel movies don't get me excited. I'll watch them and enjoy my however many hours but I don't get hyped up about them at all. I think the last movie that I got super excited about was IT...and IT was marvelous.

Gojo wrote on Nov 13, 2018, 19:16:
Why not both?
Because what comics dealt with in a ham-handed way, books usually were able to tackle in a more detailed and elegant manner. Also, a book gave you not just a world but also sometimes a whole universe. Comic books were 15 pages of in-the-moment action that lasted all of twenty minutes in the reading. I'm not trying to throw shade on comics but there's just no real comparison between the two. Books always had me hungering to turn the page, to delve deeper in to the rich story being unfolded before me. I remember shortly after my 11th birthday, my dad handed me "Time Enough for Love" by Heinlein, "Ophiuchi Hotline" by Varley, and "Neuromancer" by Gibson. It is an understatement to say they had a profoundly revolutionary impact on my 11 year old psyche. It literally reset my brain on how I viewed the world, technology, culture, cultural mores, societal expectations, and the function and operation of human government to name but a few. I can honestly say that comic books never tackled that kind of stuff when I was a kid.

Ergo, books over comics.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 13, 2018, 20:18 Burrito of Peace

Funny, I just did a massive update to my Linux install...and nothing broke. Everything was exactly where I left it and everything worked as expected.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2018, 13:03 Burrito of Peace

I feel like the odd man out. Comics never really did it for me growing up. While my peers were sometimes enthusing about Batman or Spiderman, I was reading Howard, Heinlein, Asimov, Varley, Smith (both of them), and other books. My whole family are "readers" so that probably helped canalize my literature habits from an early age.  

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Nov 13, 2018, 06:28 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2018, 21:00:
It continues to amaze me how many people who use computers on a daily basis either for work or home use and yet know almost nothing about them. It is a pretty good explanation of why game consoles are so popular.

People are idiots, film at 11.

8. Re: Crazy in love? The Japanese man 'married' to a hologram. Nov 12, 2018, 14:06 Burrito of Peace

RIP Stan Lee  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2018, 11:32 Burrito of Peace

...a sincere hope that we are working towards a day when the sacrifices of soldiers will be a thing of the past.

Not so long as greedy fucks squat in a position of power for years on end. Though automated warfare will help reduce the amount of human casualties. Significantly, I hope.

Still, cover off and heartfelt respect for the men and women whom came before me and those that came, and will come, after me.

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile
16. Re: MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile Nov 11, 2018, 16:00 Burrito of Peace

Meh. Developers come, developers go.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 11, 2018, 12:51 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 10, 2018, 21:40:
Well, I can tell you it wasn't that organized in the data centers I worked on.

Fair enough. Our experiences are markedly different from one another. In my last three enterprise jobs, patch management and lifecycle management were all nearly entirely automated. That way attack vectors could be mitigated in the shortest time possible.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2018, 17:12.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2018, 19:35 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2018, 15:29:
Unless they have figured out how to make our light travel faster than C from us into their telescope so they can see us currently as we are versus as we was.

That's theoretically possible. Your explanation assumes an end point to end point communication which I understand because that's how we Earthlings look at the stars.

But if we're talking about beings that know the following:

• That alien life exists

• Where, exactly, to find it

• How to successfully frame the data they are receiving

• How to successfully translate that data to their culture, mindset, and communication style

• Then we have to assume that, even 200 years ago, they would be far more technologically advanced than we are today. Probably by several orders of magnitude. So you're an alien, you think you found intelligent civilization in some backwater in the ass-end of the Milky Way, and you have the technology to get glimpses of their day to day existences even though they're not emitting radio, light, or gravity pulses yet. What do you do? Well, if you're adventurous, you begin to collect data closer to the source so you get fresher data.

But let's say you're not an adventurous alien. Then you could set up an array of space based telescopes set at oblique angles from LoS which would let you peer farther back along the line and get fresher data.

As a side point, neutrinos in vacuum travel faster than c as well as mathematically-negative mass particles. We've tested a few of these in the LHC. A couple years back, there was an experiment where a neutrino exited a chamber before it had fully finished entering it. Likewise, if quantum entanglement works the way we are now understanding it does, a state change in one particle instantaneously occurs in its bonded pairmate irrespective of distance which means data has transferred from one atom to the other faster than light could ever travel.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
    3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 10, 2018, 19:13 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 10, 2018, 15:05:
    That will be a bunch of busy work for all those network admins out there, upgrading systems from TLS 1.2 to 1.3.

Not really. Any enterprise team or NOC probably has a CMS that involves 2-4 clicks to send out update packages to all networking level gear. On the server side, it's the same thing (even craptastic Windows servers with SCCM). For example, I'll use Ansible for 10 seconds or so and then move on to other work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Linux cryptocurrency miners with extra rootkit sauce is kind of interesting. The first thing that sticks out in my mind is that the only screenshots they show are from Kali. Kali runs literally everything as root, so there is no inherent security within that distro. The second thing is that even the Trend Micro article, they do not break down which distros they tested against. I'd be interested to see how this would fare against security focused distros like RHEL, Debian, and Alpine. They then go on to speculate that this comes from a poisoned browser plugin. OK, so that means the first step to infection is the user being stupid (which users are, by and large). By extension, that also means that the user would then have to provide credentials to a fucking browser plugin so the hijacked package could do its thing. Protip, no properly written package or plug-in is going to ask you for your admin credentials to run.

So it seems less that Linux has the vulnerability, because in 99% of distros there is adequate security inherent to prevent binaries from doing their thing without permission, and more like users have to be stupid and gullible.

3059 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo