Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2312 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
5. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 15:04 Burrito of Peace

I want to be excited, I do. I play The Ur-Quan Masters frequently.

But then I saw the three screenshots on the forum post.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 18, 2016, 12:10 Burrito of Peace

Yesterday's wars were livestreamed. There were many live broadcasts of action during the Vietnam War. Many people witnessed their sons being murdered on live TV.

Jesus fuck, you'd think we'd learn from those lessons. But, apparently not. Instead, we'd rather jerk off with our phones in our hands while watching some 19 year old kid for Nowhere, Kansas who doesn't know shit about life or the world gets his head blown off for our amusement and prurient excitement. Or maybe it's not his head. Maybe it's a leg, or an arm, or he gets gutshot. Will they livestream the godawful, sanity tearing screams of anguish and pain that goes along with that? Will we post little sad emojis in a comments section while it goes on?

Our culture is shit. As a nation, we're just goddamned giddy to wave Chinese manufactured American flags and blindly hero worship idiot kids whom are being shoved through a meat grinder for the benefit of a tiny fraction of our population. This is OK? This is what we really want to see and encourage?

News Comments > United Front Games Closed?
2. Re: United Front Games Closed? Oct 18, 2016, 11:36 Burrito of Peace

Let them lie with their Sleeping Dogs.  

News Comments > David Brevik's New Project Isn't Diablo
13. Re: David Brevik's New Project Isn't Diablo Oct 18, 2016, 06:28 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 03:02:
But Mad Max with a Interstate 76 mod.... *drools*

You saw the video that someone made in GTAV as an I'76 trailer that was posted a while back, aye?

News Comments > David Brevik's New Project Isn't Diablo
5. Re: David Brevik's New Project Isn't Diablo Oct 17, 2016, 22:47 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 22:14:
...go fresh with something in a post-apoc.

There's irony there.

Well, since Blizzard and Activision are the same company now, I'd rather see them bring back Interstate '76.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: WikiLeaks says Assange's Internet link was severed by 'state party.' Oct 17, 2016, 19:01 Burrito of Peace

DangerDog wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 15:12:
Just Hillary having a practice run at cutting internet on anyone with dissenting views over her.

Timmeh wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 18:05:
Not that the Marxist "main stream media" will cover it. These things don't comply with their brain washing agenda.

...riiiiiiiiight. Ucrazy Ucrazy Ucrazy Ucrazy

News Comments > Stellaris DLC This Week; New Trailer
2. Re: Stellaris DLC This Week; New Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 14:08 Burrito of Peace

I'll definitely be picking this up. The War in Heaven event sounds awesome for mid to late game empires that are established with solid fleets.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 16, 2016, 21:14 Burrito of Peace

MT Silver wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 19:15:
There was a time when I looked forward to patches. Now I have nightmares about them.

I always look forward to patches. More free stuff!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2016, 14:19 Burrito of Peace

Westworld is awesome. Michael Wincott's cameo in the first episode was great.

Here there be spoilers:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Anthony's Hopkins character is a lot like Tyrell's from Blade Runner. He wants to create artificial persons that are as human, if not more so, as the real thing. You have Westworld's reveries and BR's implanted memories. You have Abernathy questioning his existence. You have guests of the park constantly remarking how difficult it is to tell the "hosts" from real people. I'm wondering if the end game is for Dolores to go out in to the real world and pass as a human, Pygmalion style.

News Comments > Stable Orbit Early Access
3. Re: Stable Orbit Early Access Oct 14, 2016, 13:57 Burrito of Peace

Looks interesting. It might be a good companion to KSP.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
29. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 10:59 Burrito of Peace

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:19:
Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 09:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 07:55:
I remember when NMS was announced that I called bullshit on it and was shouted down. I tried to explain that what they were promising literally couldn't happen on the hardware we have available to us today. Man, was I shouted down. It's nice, though, to see what a dumpster fire this has become and having stayed the Hell away from it.

Nah the hardware wasn't really a factor, they just had limited templates due to the small size of the team. Through clever use of instancing they were able to execute on the premise which was traveling around the galaxy and seeing a lot of unique planets. You didn't need a lot of hardware because you never load in everything at once. Where they failed was in gameplay execution and the limited variety of templates used for generation.

Put differently they didn't fail because of CPU cores or memory, they failed because they didn't have a giant team of artists generating assets and didn't really finish gameplay subsystems. No Man's Sky was simply boring and shallow.

Exactly. I knew this would be a ridiculous waste of time too. Sure, you can iterate over a list of assets and put things together to make them look slightly different, but without a huge swath of items to choose from, you're extremely limited in what you can do.

Until we come up with some kind of artificial intelligence routines that create assets for us, based on a set of criteria and telling the computer what kinds of traits a lifeform has and what kinds of traits a structure has, a planet, a vehicle, etc., then allowing the computer to calculate all these things and randomly iterate assets from the ground up, there is no way everything will be 100% random. Minecraft managed to create something compelling because it didn't focus on lots of different kinds of creatures in the world. It was the world that was calculated, and that's a whole lot more easy to do since you don't really need a team of artists in charge of creating things for that.

And to do that, to fulfill the promise of "unique" creatures and environments, you'll need a system that doesn't exist today and isn't likely to exist in the near future. Software is meaningless without the hardware to run it on.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
23. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 07:55 Burrito of Peace

I remember when NMS was announced that I called bullshit on it and was shouted down. I tried to explain that what they were promising literally couldn't happen on the hardware we have available to us today. Man, was I shouted down. It's nice, though, to see what a dumpster fire this has become and having stayed the Hell away from it.

In the nearish future, if you see a game that promises "unique" procedurally generated content across a hojillion planets/landscapes/realms, quietly whisper to yourself "I do not own a 1024 core proc with 64PB of RAM. I do not own a 2048 core GPU with 32YB of RAM. I do not have disk space in the double digit PB range and I don't have system buses capable of transferring data at Pbps. Therefore, there is no way in Hell this game is going to do 1/10 of the shit they're promising."

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
24. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 21:58 Burrito of Peace

Genesys wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:23:
I actually run most of my Steam library off a NAS drive mapping :) Only the access-heavy games get promoted to an SSD. You can make backups of Steam games, too, for archival purposes or installing on other PCs without a redownload.

I did that for a while but after updating to CentOS 7, I started seeing severe performance problem with my Steam library being there. Everything else that used SMB worked great, though, so I can't point my finger to it being a general CIFS/SMB problem. Funny thing is, though, that installing Steam on Linux in a "local" folder that's actually a NFS share just mounted to that directory works great.

I know that I can do backup/restore with Steam, but my point is that with the GOG installers, I never need to be logged in to anything to install them. Right now, with my current bandwidth constraints, that's a big factor in my world. If I wipe my Windows disk, which is fairly frequent, I still have to wait for Steam to download itself after the initial installer. That can take up to four hours. With the GOG installers, it's just install them right off the NAS to a different share on the NAS that's acting as a mounted network drive.

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
14. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 18:41 Burrito of Peace

I'd like to state up front that I have no problems with Steam, Origin, or Uplay. Recently, however, I made the decision to switch to looking on GOG first for my games. One, this supports the awesomeness behind The Witcher Series and Cyberpunk 2077 and, two, because I can download the whole game and archive it off to the NASes for when I want to install without worrying about bandwidth issues each time I want to reinstall a game.  

News Comments > Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month
3. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 10, 2016, 12:23 Burrito of Peace

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 10:54:
why is it that these 4x space games still struggle with the magic that MOO II had?

I was disappointed with this game, but maybe they are fixing their mistakes.

Right off the bat, I am going to say that I love Stellaris. I play it near daily. I also play MOO II quite frequently as well.

MOOII was magic because, prior to it, no one had brought all the component pieces of it in to a single title. However, by today's standards, MOOII was a relatively simple game in terms of mechanics. The diplomacy was nascent at best, with nothing super deep coming out of it. Combat involved a simple numbers comparison with nothing really tactical about it. Your choices of movement where up, down, backward, and forward. Tactics or formations held no part in it. Ground combat was you dropping off soldiers and watching an animation while the computer did the number checks in the background.

As with all strategy games, then and now, the difficulty level was just how many more bonuses the AI races got than you did. They didn't play any smarter or use better tactics.

Even your ship design was pretty crude. You have X number of tonnage per class. Assign it as you see fit. Got the Doomstar blueprints and the stellar converter? Congrats, you now have the insta-win combination. Ship classes were only goals to reach as you expanded your empire, tech, and credit generation.

I feel MOOII was a seminal title of its era because it took a lot of different systems from different game types, polished them, and interlocked them. The array of unique species wasn't really done previously as well as it was in MOOII. MOOII hit me at that point in my youth where new things were appearing quickly and seemed to be endless in regards with what we could do with our computers. Now that I am older, and have taken off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses, I can see that MOOII was a product of its time. Today, I expect the kind of experience I get from MOOII from games on my phone or tablet. I expect quite a bit more from my PC games because time and technology has progressed further.

Stellaris is a decent title but there are ways it could have been done better. The ship battles are, again, a numbers fight. Nexus or Homeworld style combat would have brought a lot of depth to that particular aspect of the game. Formations, mixed unit deployments, and tactics are sorely needed.

I also generally tend to agree with the sentiment that mid to late game becomes a drag because the game becomes about entropy, attrition, and sector management due to the fact that your governors are, currently, mindless idiots. Continued exploration serves as nothing more as a vehicle to expand your borders and gather resources. That's it, there's no feeling that you're still pushing the boundaries of the unknown with more waiting to be discovered.

But Paradox does seem to be listening as evidenced by the changes in Asmiov and the upcoming Heinlein patches. Will it get enormously better? Probably not. Is it getting slowly better? Yes, definitely.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 8, 2016, 01:28 Burrito of Peace

Sepharo wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 01:14:
Sounds like she's not going to need to steal it with all the Republicans changing their minds on Trump tonight.

Trump just needs to grab them by the pussy, obviously.

News Comments > Mafia III Framerate Concerns
38. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 23:52 Burrito of Peace

Quinn wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 19:15:
@Burrito

"No performance issues"? Some positive reviewers on Steam say the same thing. I don't get this. I know you're not an idiot, but it's an idiot statement to me. Every game that drops below 50 fps has "performance issues" in my book, with my above average rig. This game is locked at fucking 30 fps. How on earth can you judge its performance? It's like saying the guy hopping around in a potato sack is a great runner!

That's your personal preference, not an objective evaluation.

For me, performance issues involve continued, reproducible CTDs, lockups, graphical anomalies (blinking textures, popping textures, tearing textures, noticeable and reproducible slowdowns/stutters in reproducible events), sound anomalies (Crackling, static, missing audio, bad audio such as a mix being too tinny or bass heavy)...basically, things that I would be able to realistically file a bug report on with steps to reproduce the bug reliably.

If the patch comes out, if it removes the 30FPS lock and if the above listed events start happening, then I can reliably and truthfully state it then has performance issues. A design decision is not a bug or issue, even if I do not particularly care for it.

37. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 23:39 Burrito of Peace

Kosumo wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 18:05:
What is your view on the graphics?

I think it largely depends on the monitor and video card setup. My monitors at work are old Dell S2409Ws. 1920x1080x60Hz and connected via DVI-D. They're dimmer and the colors do look a bit washed out. I've also noticed that the gamma settings that you setup when at the first start the game are...not as granular as I'd like. There are big jumps from one level to the next.

My monitors at home are Dell P2417Hs connected via DisplayPort. They're IPS 1920x1080x60Hz monitors. I set the gamma level much lower because they're much brighter monitors. The colors look much, much better here than at work. I've also color calibrated the monitors here with a Datacolor Spyder which probably helped tremendously as well. I'm not disappointed with the game, I'm actually having a good time.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2016, 23:55.

33. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 15:18 Burrito of Peace

OK, so reporting back in after playing it a while.

My first system that I played a couple of hours on at the office is:
I7-4770K
16GB
1060 3GB w/Nvidia's just released drivers

It's pretty good. I'm digging the vibe in it, so far, and I like the characters. I've had no performance issues with everything cranked up to max but there were two instances of micropauses, each about half a second in length. During heavy firefights and a couple of explosions going off on-screen.

The default keymap for K+M is wonky as fuck, though. Usage keys are spread out all over the keyboard. You can, however, rebind them. Mouse felt a bit sluggish but I cranked up the sensitivity and that fixed that issue.

I've experienced one CTD so far, but I am going to chalk that up to Windows doing its funky shit in the background as it happened right after the end of the first play section (note: NOT the entire mission) and has not happened again.

Second system at the house where I am right now is:
Xeon E3 1275v2
64GB of RAM
970 4GB

What the fuck...my save game from work isn't available? Nope, doesn't do save sync through Steam. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Guess I'll be starting all over this weekend.

Made it through the scene where I CTDed before...no crash this time. Definitely Windows at work doing it's funky shit in the background.

Car physics feel good. Heavy cars are appropriately weighted and handle as such. Very fun to drift Lincoln's "baby" around corners in the city!

Weapons don't hold over from mission to mission. Picked up a sweet M14 in the second mission, lost it at the start of the third.

SPOILERS AHEAD: Vito Scaletta, a much older one, makes an appearance during the beginning of the third mission

11. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 6, 2016, 23:06 Burrito of Peace

I pre-ordered it and I don't regret it. I always expect issues on release on any game. Mafia II was no different and that got ironed out in to a solid game. As I want to continue seeing Mafia games, I support their efforts.

I'll see tomorrow how it runs on my systems and go from there. If it needs a couple of patches, I go back to playing KSP.

2312 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo