Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 3711 (Veteran)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 17:39 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 13:27:
Argh! Originally scheduled for Friday, now Tuesday. whee
In Transit 03/18/2019 3:49 A.M. New Orleans, LA
Departure Scan
03/15/2019 9:41 A.M. MY TOWN, TX, Destination Scan
03/15/2019 5:32 A.M. MY TOWN, TX, Arrival Scan
03/15/2019 2:25 A.M. Odessa, TX, Departure Scan
03/15/2019 1:43 A.M. Odessa, TX, Arrival Scan
03/15/2019 1:27 A.M. Midland, TX, Departure Scan
03/15/2019 12:47 A.M. Midland, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 8:11 P.M. Fort Worth, TX, Departure Scan
03/14/2019 3:38 P.M. Fort Worth, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 3:01 P.M. Dallas, TX, Departure Scan
03/14/2019 6:36 A.M. Dallas, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 3:27 A.M. Oklahoma City, OK Departure Scan
03/13/2019 6:45 A.M. Oklahoma City, OK,Arrival Scan
03/13/2019 12:18 A.M. Kansas City, KS, Departure Scan
03/12/2019 5:17 P.M. Kansas City, KS, Arrival Scan
03/12/2019 9:53 A.M. Eagan, MN Departure Scan

Shipped 03/11/2019 10:09 P.M. Eagan, MN
Origin Scan
Label Created 03/11/2019 4:43 P.M. United States
Order Processed:
Ready for UPS

2080RTX?

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
15. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 13:24 Burrito of Peace

Timmeh wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:25:
Leftys need to realize that in a healthy ecosystem you have to have the big cats and the killer whales for the entire system to prosper.

People who utterly failed or bullshitted their way through biology need to realize that too many large predators in a single, constrained ecosystem literally wipe out entire species to the point of ecological collapse.

...Microsoft was trying to do with UWP and locked-down versions of Windows -- which failed...

Except that it hasn't. Windows is now more locked down than in any point in the operating system's history. If anything, Microsoft has become more invidious in their attempts to wrest control of the OS away from its users. So Sweeney's entire postulation is inherently false. Exclusives are anti-competitive by nature. This is capitalistic protectionism at its arguably worst.

75. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2019, 20:50 Burrito of Peace

My deepest condolences and sympathies, Blue. RIP Gunnar-man.  

News Comments > Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic Released
3. Re: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic Released Mar 16, 2019, 09:00 Burrito of Peace

El Pit wrote on Mar 16, 2019, 05:13:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 22:56:
What?
No "In Mother Russia" jokes?

In Soviet Russia, jokes get you killed.

In Mother Russia, the jokes kill you!

News Comments > No Man's Sky Beyond Announced
3. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 10:44 Burrito of Peace

Sean Murray's memo about this.  

News Comments > Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support
9. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:32 Burrito of Peace

Leper wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:44:
Windows 10 is basically Windows 7 with a facelift and some new features IMO.

Not even close from any objective measurement. I assume you don't have to administrate multiple deployments numbering in the hundreds or better of Windows 10? It's hot garbage.

Let's set aside the comically inept security holes in Win10. Do you enjoy bricking your fleet of Win10 machines with an update marked "critical" that is also cumulative without having to dig on the MS website to find out what the "cumulative" update contains? Or, do you enjoy having daisy chained updates, each marked "cumulative", when they're not really cumulative? Or, how about the numerous SMB bugs that will either slow network transfers to a crawl and/or simply show a blank background if you have home directory redirection enabled for your users? Oh! How about the one where Win10 decides to disregard domain enforced GPOs whenever the fuck it feels like it...because reasons? Hope your users don't want to print to that network printer! Or let's say you use WSUS to roll out updates across your enterprise organization and you come to find out that Win10 doesn't give one fucking rat's ass about your update schedule (You know, the thing that WSUS is explicitly setup to handle) and completely ignores the deadlines you set?

But, wait, if you call now, we'll send you MORE bugs touted as "features" absolutely free of charge! Just pay separate processing and shipping.

I mean, it's not like there's a critical problem where Win10 will also just up and stop reporting in to both WSUS and SCCM servers because...<spins wheel of reasons>...the day's name ends in "Y". By the way, all the servers that our Win10 machines talk to are Win2016 servers so there's no legacy mish-mash with Server 2008R2.

Win7, on the other hand, was easy to administer right out of the gate. It behaved as expected and although it did have its own bugs, they weren't near in the same league in Win7's whole lifespan as Win10 has had in the last two years of mass deployment.

Yesterday I was in a meeting and the most die hard Windows fanboy in our entire organization just sat back and said "Fuck this. Let's just keep our DCs around and move everything over to Linux. We can do that, right Burrito?" To which I replied "Of course we can. My sites are already setup that way." We were talking about server deployments but then we got in to client deployments and there is literally nothing that Windows 10 does for our needs that we can't move over to Linux and just get rid of the merry-go-round of suck that is Win10.

News Comments > Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive
20. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:45 Burrito of Peace

How To Further Encourage Piracy 101.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 11:43 Burrito of Peace

Jivaro wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:08:
...I root for both the Niners and the Raiders. Last season was depressing to say the least.

I've been a Raiders fan since '84. Nearly every season since that year as been depressing.

With Gruden back, though, and some money back in to the organization (now that Al Davis isn't using it as his money losing tax shelter), 2020 or 2021 might see the Raiders become competitive again.

The Almighty Baby Jeebus Monkey King knows that the Raiders can't do any worse than the Art Shell Returns years.

News Comments > Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic Early Access Friday
1. Re: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic Early Access Friday Mar 12, 2019, 10:50 Burrito of Peace

That looks interesting...once it comes out of Early Access and I see reviews.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 10:45 Burrito of Peace

One of the things that chaps my ass about Windows is that here, in 2019, it still has to reboot to apply updates and it does so in two parts. On my Linux installs, I don't have to reboot at all to get updates applied unless I am doing a kernel update. Even then, I can use live kernel patching and be on the new kernel without having to reboot.

Now, the argument is that Windows is a monolithic kernel and stack. But Microsoft has been fucking around with "Windows Core OS" for as long as 4 years now and there's still no signs on the horizon that they're ever going to ship a modular form of Windows that doesn't require reboots.

Setting aside Microsoft's recently atrocious record with updates, requiring reboots to fix security vulnerabilities is absolutely unacceptable. It shows that you're still building your software stack on boot instead of relying on already fixed modules. Not only is this ridiculously anachronistic, it's also a vulnerability that can be exploited by interrupting the update post shutdown and pre-boot with a live USB stick.

Even were it to be argued that doing so requires physical access to the hardware where you have an even better window of opportunity to be a bad actor, you could shore this up by separating meatspace from systemspace which Windows flatout fails to do. Let's say you had physical access to my box. You boot to a live USB of whatever flavor of Linux you choose. You go to mount my disk and...oh, shit, the entire volume is LUKS encrypted. But, wait, we'll just edit GRUB and...oh, shit, that's encrypted too? Windows still doesn't even have a secure bootloader of its own, inherent in the installation itself. Instead, it relies on Secure Boot and a certificate being present in UEFI. Except...most systems are shipped with Secure Boot disabled by default.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2019, 06:10 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 18:59:
We worry like old women.
Glad it was just hectic...

+1

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2019, 15:01 Burrito of Peace

Yep, my bad.

Even so...3pm Blue's time now and no update?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2019, 12:59 Burrito of Peace

Did Blue get black out drunk early last night? There was no evening update. It's 1pm in his time zone and we don't have a Sunday update.

You doin' OK, Blue?

News Comments > Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators
11. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 19:26 Burrito of Peace

...why do we care?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2019, 16:06 Burrito of Peace

The microSD card is a big deal for me because I use my phone for portable storage and as a portable terminal. I am less likely to lose my phone than I am a USB stick, for example.  

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Mar 8, 2019, 14:16 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 11:40:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 07:15:
My sincerest condolences. Our foster daughter passed away from pancreatic cancer on October 22nd of last year. It's a horrible way to die. In short, fuck cancer.

Ah man. Sorry to hear. Hug

Thanks man. Mrs. Burrito with the very recent loss of her father on top of it, hasn't been handling it well.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 8, 2019, 14:14 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 10:32:
Abit BH6 and iNtel 300a Celeron at 450mHz to the rescue.
those were the days

Hell yeah. Especially when you could over clock the shit out of that Celeron with the Abit BP6. I had that board, two Celerons, and it was a fucking monster with the right cooling.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2019, 14:10 Burrito of Peace

I'm still happy with my Note 8 and see no reason to upgrade at this time.

My next phone will need to have a user replaceable battery, headphone jack, and microSD card slot. If that means having to go to something like the Librem, so be it. Yes, I know my current Note 8 only fulfills 66% of my requirements.

News Comments > Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow
3. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 09:54 Burrito of Peace

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:52:
WOW! This is unexpected! What next? Command & Conquer and Dune from EA on GOG.com? Crazy! But welcome!

Oh please, please, please yes! I want to play Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune again on a modern system.

News Comments > Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow
2. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 09:54 Burrito of Peace

So Blackthorne, too, yeah?  

3711 Comments. 186 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo