Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 4039 (Master)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2019, 06:16 Burrito of Peace

I can imagine Bill Hicks greeting Robin Williams in the afterlife and then doing the most epic two person standup gig in all the universe.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2019, 08:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 19:01:
By then you will have given up on your inferior linux's to get at windows new awesomeness and become a true windows head. A dying penguin told me so. Wink

That will be a cold, nay freezing, day in Hell!

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2019, 13:59 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 11:28:
Won't be long before the os is subscription based.

For the inferior OS, that is a possibility.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

2. Re: New cars 'can be broken into in 10 seconds' Aug 8, 2019, 14:11 Burrito of Peace

Simon Says wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 11:35:
Now... Why the heck can I come up with this practically foolproof method that car thiefs will be unable to replicate because they can't decrypt the programming responsible for generating the code nor the encrypted car specific code, but those dumdum car manufacturers haven't thought about it?

Because you did not take in to account several factors:

• RF interference

• The lack of an automotive grade CPU capable of doing this periodic and/or on-the-fly encryption. Almost all PCMs are powered by something with the equivalent processing power of a 286 or less. So that restricts you to 8bit keys or less

• Loss of the key/damage to the key

• Who is going to pay for the NTP infrastructure to support all this time syncing? Hint: it won't be the automotive companies

• You would need to broadcast a signal strong enough to reach a key that is behind a concrete structure 40 feet deep, in an old coffee can, buried six feet underground in the back yard

• While you are broadcasting at that strength, so is every other vehicle in the suburbanite tract home Hell you live in or sardine can like parking situation at most apartment complexes

• Likewise with office buildings, office parks, etc

• But wait, now that every vehicle has this magically impregnable security function, and they are all using it, you have to design a device that can accept all that RF input from every vehicle parked around it AND still be able to transmit to your one key

• Oh, wait, you want two keys? Now you have to double your entire design because only an idiot would share the same OTP generated key with multiple devices

• Oh, yeah, and your magic keys will also have to be able to do all of the above AND have a power source that will last for years yet still be able to be small enough to fit in a pocket AND pass rigorous testing for potential health hazards because you'll need a PGP like system to do this effectively and securely

• You'll also need an infrastructure to support OTA updates to the algorithms because you are going to have to randomly change your encryption methodology to increase your entropy pool otherwise it is only a matter of time before the single algorithm you've picked is cracked, especially since you are using 8bit or less keys

• Again, who is going to pay for that OTA infrastructure and manpower. Hint: Also not the automotive manufacturers

• But, wait, there's more! If you act now, once this is all said and done, you'll be able to buy your base model, entry level, shitbox econocar for the low, low price of just $60,000!

•  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2019, 13:43 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 13:10:
    What on earth is in the phone that makes it cost $1000?

Four letters: n, o, t, and e.

I bought a Note 8 when they came out. It'll be my last Note.

News Comments > Cliff Empire Rises

5. Re: Cliff Empire Rises Aug 8, 2019, 13:40 Burrito of Peace

So I have been playing this for quite a while. The dev is pretty active though his English is a bit limited.

It's an enjoyable game if two things are true for your playstyle:

1. You like building things and managing scarce resources in a meticulously planned way.
    2. You enjoy the zen like experience of just building and watching your cyberant farm.

News Comments > Sin Slayers Next Month

1. Re: Sin Slayers Next Month Aug 7, 2019, 07:09 Burrito of Peace

"Roguelike"...DRINK!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2019, 18:12 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 13:07:
    Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 12:57:
    Reportedly? So much for real journalism. Rumor mongering is so irresponsible.

Once again, you seem to neither read the article, nor understand the basics of reporting. Yet you feel everyone else is the dumb, uninformed, incorrect one.

[astonkutchersaying"burn".jpg]

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2019, 16:57 Burrito of Peace

Seagate with the highest number of drive failures for, like, the fifth year in a row. Seagate is garbage from both personal experience and now from actual statistical evidence!  

News Comments > Shortest Trip to Earth Next Week

1. Re: Shortest Trip to Earth Next Week Aug 6, 2019, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

"Roguelike"...DRINK!  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2019, 20:39 Burrito of Peace

FloorPie wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 18:00:
    Burrito, if you think the gun controllers will stop...

Here's the thing. As a gun owner, I am very much in favor of the "gun controllers" beginning to reign in the bizarre, fetishistic gun culture that permeates my current (but definitely not the only) country. I do believe that, as in all things, the legislation that would be passed on a federal level would be moderate and not at all in the extreme.

I can't speak to the actions of Oregon as I am not an Oregonian and have not lived there in at least a couple of decades.

However, I can speak to the way that capacity restrictions work. Because it is unfeasible for any state or even federal government to round up the amount of firearms that are pre-existing that would ran afoul of capacity restrictions, those firearms as they currently exist are always grandfathered in. So, my six shot .44 Ruger Redhawk is in no danger of ever being "illegal". After a capacity restriction at the federal level is passed, no more will be made or they will be made in whatever capacity is currently permissible. See how easy that is?

Also, my .22 holds 5 rounds in a rotary style magazine. I only need three when testing myself. One shot at 50 yards, one at 75, and the last at 100. The 100 yard one is always a bit iffy because of the light nature of the load and round plus there's almost always a breeze. I may not always hit exactly where I am aiming on my 6" target, but I'm generally within .5"-.75". Even so, why would I ever use that to go after coyotes? That's only going to wound them and that is cruel as Hell and completely unnecessary. If I am going to shoot them, I am going to kill them. Which leads me to that particular rifle.

My larger rifle, the one I use for coyotes and javalinas? It's chambered in .30-06. I'll let you guess what it is. Hint: It's name rhymes with "errand" and holds less than 9 but more than 7 rounds...and it doesn't even have a magazine. I don't ever need more than one shot because I don't spray my rounds downrange like some dickless loser hopped up on a Rambo power trip. So unless I am facing a horde of coyotes Hellbent on my demise (as if!) or a pack of javalinas with the same intent, I'm pretty safe with my less than 50 round capacity rifle.

But, as I said, my firearms are tools to complete specific jobs. Nothing more and nothing less. They are not extensions of my penis nor are they representative of my masculinity.

That needs to be the baseline for all gun owners. They are tools, nothing more, and they need to be appropriate to the application and the skillset of the individual by whom they will be wielded.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2019, 19:30 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 14:19:
    Nice post BoP.

1. I agree we need a radical shift. We've seen massive public opinion swings, however, for things like gay rights. My point about an "El Paso" every day is that it would cause such a shift, but how long would it take before the general public started screaming for politicians to do something is my question. How many weeks or months would we let it go until things reached a breaking point?

2. Repealing the 2nd amendment <> banning all guns. No other country in the world has a 2nd amendment, but they all still have gun rights, albeit more tightly controlled. It's not comparable to Prohibition in that respect. The 2nd amendment *does* prevent us from having common sense gun legislation as it's used by NRA funded lawyers to convince judges to rule against any such legislation, such as allowing the 100 round magazine wielded by the Dayton shooter.

In fact, repealing prohibition is a good analogy to repealing the 2nd amendment. Once alcohol was available again, governments were able to put in common sense laws that made alcohol available, but with taxes, laws, and educational directives that helped moderate consumption. If/Once the 2nd amendment is repealed similar laws can be implemented to make gun ownership safer.

Thanks for the sane conversation.

1. That shift will not happen, in my opinion, until a few factors become cemented fact in even the least educated person. One, that people must hold the government accountable and vote. Everyone. Must. Vote. Two, that people require term limits on all elected positions from federal to local and that a person who fills an elected position be barred from taking a job in any industry that they oversaw or made policy regarding for a period of ten years. Three, that the population demands the removal of lobbyists, special interest groups, PACs, and that they also demand an overturning of the verdict in Citizens United v. FCC. Corporations are decidedly not people and the rights granted within the Bill of Rights are clearly connotated and expressed as being applicable to individuals.

Until the above happens, we are literally fighting a stacked deck and are at a huge disadvantage. When that should happen (if ever) people will be able to start requiring their representatives vote the will of the people.

2. I mean no disrespect but you failed to grasp my usage of Prohibition and, in fact, supported my case with your argument. You did not need to pass the amendment that enacted Prohibition. The ability to set laws at the federal level was already available and present. They simply made use of them slower than they should have.

Quite welcome! Been a pleasure!

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2019, 20:19.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2019, 19:13 Burrito of Peace

Bodolza wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 14:25:
    Firefox or Chrome can quickly goble up another 4GB.

I can't speak to Chrome as I don't run spyware but what the fuck are you doing with Firefox that causes it to eat 4GB?!

I have 13 tabs currently open and history shows that in the last 72 hours I have opened and closed 96 tabs. My total RAM usage for Firefox is...192.3MB.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2019, 12:18 Burrito of Peace

Throwing kids? I'd rather just let the dogs out and let them chase them away.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2019, 12:15 Burrito of Peace

How much RAM does your Windows PC really need? (August 2019 edition).

32GB or better. Next!

News Comments > Slitherine Conjuring New Master of Magic

3. Re: Slitherine Conjuring New Master of Magic Aug 5, 2019, 12:11 Burrito of Peace

I think, without the people that were part of SimTex, any remake/reboot of their "Master of" titles will always be a failure. Steve Barcia and Ken Burd haven't been active in development for years so I don't think you could get them to come back to bring the old magic back with them.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2019, 07:44 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer, please don't feed the ogres. They're like trolls but with sincerely held beliefs.

As to your questions:

I want to preface this by explaining the lens I look through when answering similar questions. I own four guns. None of them are Barbie Dress-Up guns with anything "tactical" about them. Two are rifles, one is a revolver, the last is a semi-automatic pistol. They are tools to me and not objects of worship. One rifle is to help me control coyotes and javalina on my property. One is a danger to the dogs and the other is a danger to Mrs. Burrito's crops while also being really mean sons-of-bitches that will charge you if the breeze blows a leaf the wrong way. The revolver is used to put down copperheads and cottonmouths because it is always loaded with snake shot. The other rifle is a .22 that I have had since I was 10 and I still use it for target practice to keep my skills up. My pistol is for home defense since calling the cops has a 30 minute response time in the best of circumstances. I have had to use it exactly once for that purpose in the 23 years I have lived on this property. I did not pull the trigger as I had no need to do so. Simply the presence and visibility of it worked.

That being said, the largest magazine holds a total of 9 rounds. The others less.

A) Stricter gun control will not occur until we, as a culture, stop fetishizing guns and linking them with false narratives that include, but are not limited to, toxic masculinity, the fever dream of "protecting the people from the government", as "objects d'art", and last but not least "patriotism". There is a tired of refrain of "An armed society is a polite society" which has been proven time and again by actual statistic to be untrue. Moreover, we also need to stop linking gun ownership (especially in the case of AR-15s, AK-47s, and other such rifles) with the fetishization and hero worship of the military. It is my experience that those who fetishize and hero worship the military have never spent a day in the service. If they had, they would realize that life in the service generally sucks. It's boring as Hell and you follow a bunch of procedures that make zero common sense simply because they are, in fact, procedures. They would also learn that mentally healthy people do not get raging erections from the idea of shooting another human being. If you talk to any combat vet, you'll find most of them have PTSD of some sort and carry an enormous weight of guilt with them. This is because in combat action there is no clear "good guys vs bad guys" situation. It's "Holy shit, someone is shooting at me" combined with a flood of adrenaline and fear that kicks the fight or flight instinct in at maximum overdrive.

So until there is a radical cultural shift in this country, which I doubt thoroughly will ever happen, you will never see "strict" gun control. Some gun control, yes, but not anything that could be defined as "strict". I am very much onboard with the idea of "strict" gun control as a gun owner. I want it to be more difficult for people to purchase and own guns. I want there to be a magazine capacity limit that is >10. I want licensing to be a thing. I also want people to have to go to a range and get certified as part of that licensing that they can hit the broad side of a barn in two rounds or less.

B) Here we need to tread very carefully. We do not want the process of repealing an amendment to be either easy or done on a whim. We remember Prohibition, right? I'm not much of a drinker but the wholesale outlawing of a good or service because it rankles a percentage of the population's beliefs for a short sighted and short term "goal" is generally a very bad idea. Moreover, we really shouldn't be butchering what is left of the Constitution when federal laws would be a more precise and judicial solution.

Guntards like to screech "What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand" with earnest sincerity without understanding the circumstances and level of technology present during the creation of the Second Amendment. However, federal laws requiring licensing and magazine capacity limits doesn't infringe upon your Second Amendment rights in the slightest. You simply must prove that you are of sound mind and body and possess the proper skillset to own a firearm.

So I would not in any way support a repeal of the Second Amendment, or any of the first ten, when there are better solutions available to us now. We must simply possess the political will, as a population, to regain the control of our government from lobbyists, special interest groups, and corporations and begin to enact and enforce laws that provide for the just betterment of society as a whole and not a select, minuscule percentage of that society.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2019, 13:09 Burrito of Peace

As someone who lives in an environment with swamp like humidity:

1. Determine the square footage of the area you are trying to dehumidify.

2. Buy a dehumidifier that has at least a rated capacity 10% above your square footage due to environmental fluctuations.

3. Determine where the exit vent is and give it about three feet of space but do not point it anything you don't want dust on.

4. In your recovery tank, put in about a capful of bleach with two capfuls of water (distilled is best) to prevent mold and slime growth in the tank. Clean the tank regularly with Dawn and bleach.

5. Depending on ambient temperature and the actual mount of humidity in the room, you may see condensate on the intake port on the dehumidifier. This is normal, just wipe it down occasionally as it will collect dust and such.

If there is super high humidity, like yesterday we were at 88% with no rainfaill, I sometimes crack open a tub of Damprid in addition to the dehumidifier.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2019, 16:26 Burrito of Peace

I have a rule. If I haven't touched it in six months, it's gone. It's amazing how little you actually need once you apply that rule.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

4. Re: The Encryption Debate Is Over - Dead At The Hands Of Facebook Aug 2, 2019, 16:24 Burrito of Peace

If you're relying on anything Facebook owned or attached to have any kind of security, well...you're a special kind of idiot.

Just use Wire or Telegram and be done with it if you really want free, independent, end to end encrypted communications.

4039 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 23.
    < Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >