Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2309 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2016, 12:56 Burrito of Peace

Gunnar is quite handsome in his costume!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
14. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 12:49 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 00:55:
You keep saying "plenty of people" and "a large market" but if that's the case why is Apple making this choice to lose all of these sales?

Because Apple isn't a real player in any demographic that doesn't have the letter "i" in it. They failed out of the enterprise space twice in spectacular fashion both times. Even in non-server/workstation segments they have less than 10% of the marketshare. Apple's sales aren't from people whom are thinking they are somehow either competitive or comparable with offerings from any other vendor. Apple's sales are from the drones who buy Apple's crap over and over again because it's Apple.

They literally have nothing to lose because they couldn't give a shit less about the desktop/laptop market. It's such a tiny part of their overall revenue stream that these refreshes are just to quell antsy users who want something new and shiny. If they were genuinely interested in being competitive in that segment, they'd release products that were more than rehashes of previous models with a minor bump in mediocre specs and a pointless "feature".

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 06:06:
I was referring specifically to the 16gb Mac limit on new MBPs. If the current platform doesn't cut it and you want to use the "MacOS", you have two choices; an Apple desktop or (as you said) a non-Apple mobile platform, where you can build yourself a "hackintosh".

Fair points. Even if you wanted to stick with MacOS and get a "real" system, you're stuck with a Mac Pro. I say "stuck" because they're still churning out Ivy Bridge-E EP based systems. Ivy Bridge! We've had Haswell, Broadwell, and now Skylake Xeons released since then.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires NovaLogic Franchises
9. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires NovaLogic Franchises Oct 31, 2016, 12:20 Burrito of Peace

jam777 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:39:
Tachyon: The Fringe was fun. It would be great to see a new one if Bruce Campbell still did the voice-overs.

This times infinity hojillion.

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 21:29 Burrito of Peace

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 17:12:
If you want to play with the bigger kids, get yourself a desktop and stop bitching.

That's horseshit. There's plenty of people who "play with the bigger kids" while using more than 16GB on a mobile platform. You can get a Dell Precision laptop with a Xeon and 32GB of ECC memory, you can get an HP ZBook with a Xeon and 32GB (CTO), you can get a Sager with similar specs, or a System76 (where you can get 64GB in a laptop)...and the list goes on.

I love my workstation but there are often times when I'm not at it and still need real power. There are a lot of people like me as I frequently see laptops with Xeons and more than 16GB in them. Hell, two weeks ago I was at a conference where I was in a room nearly full of them as we were all simulating OpenStack clusters.

Make no mistake, there is a large market outside of the Mom 'n Pop Walmart desktop demographic. In fact, most companies make the bulk of their profits of the enterprise market and not the home market. Or do you think Dell bought EMC because they expect Grandma to bake her cookies on top of her SAN cluster?

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 16:53 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 15:58:
Beside heavy video editing why else would you need more than 16gb?

I have 32GB in my current system at home (Haswell Xeon based) and it gets used aplenty. VMs get tested on this machine before being moved on to the production server. I regularly rip my BRDs to MKVs and it's nice being able to load everything in to memory for fast, hassle free rips. I have on occasion created a RAM drive to put stuff on temporarily that I want fast I/O to. I also completely virtualize my Windows system so, with GPU passtrhough, I can give it 16GB for 64 bit enabled games. When doing heavy processing, the proc takes good advantage of it with look ahead and side look.

There's many reasons why a person who uses their system would want more than 16GB.

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
34. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Oct 30, 2016, 10:20 Burrito of Peace

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 10:06:
Just repeating a warning here, since this is a Windows 10 thread:

Spybot Anti-Beacon is not being updated. It's effectiveness is doubtful at this point.

There's always Pi Hole.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 24, 2016, 21:53 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 14:36:
They at the very least need to ...come with non-removable/blockable GPS/RFID trackers monitored by the government.

...riiiiiight.

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Sprouts
2. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Sprouts Oct 24, 2016, 21:46 Burrito of Peace

Looking forward to the Cornfed Girls of Iowa DLC...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 Burrito of Peace

I truly hope Samsung doesn't kill the Note series. I love my Note 3 but it is getting really long in the tooth and AT&T isn't pushing updates for it anymore.

I like the stylus, I like the user replaceable battery (which I have had to do) and SD card, it's bright and gorgeous looking still. I just would like to receive regular security updates.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 07:58 Burrito of Peace

oops. Double post.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 07:58 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2016, 19:21:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2016, 17:15:
We have a canal here that regularly gets sewage runoff. Every few years someone fall in drunk and get infected with the flesh eating bacteria. Sometimes they die. It's a thing.

Yeah, that's some crazy bacteria. Shitty way to die too.

I've actually been hospitalized due to contracting flesh eating bacteria. Damn near died. My infectious diseases doctor and I would joke that I would be able to smuggle in a can of coke and some candy with the two holes that developed in my abdomen from having to cut out so much tissue to stop the spread.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2016, 18:46 Burrito of Peace

I'd love to see a BF/CoD style game set in Vietnam that was focused on the single player story.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2016, 17:37 Burrito of Peace

Another alternative, if you're feeling up to a challenge, is to install Arch Linux on that Raspberry Pi. It can be as light and fast as you want it to be and there is an excellent wiki that walks you through the install and setup. You can pick from a plethora of Desktop Environments that suit your needs and tastes.

Then you can proudly join the ranks of we Archtards.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2016, 12:27 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:23:
Ubuntu Turns 12, Happy Birthday! (yesterday).

I got ubuntu running on a pi here at work, and while it's good, the pi hardware just can't quiet keep up...still a nice desktop, though.

Ubuntu tends to be pretty resource heavy, as far as Linux distros go. If you're using the Unity desktop environment, you might want to look at LXDE or XFCE since they are much lighter weight.

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
17. Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 14:06 Burrito of Peace

So let's see:

Constant wear on contacts between base and those paddle things ("Contact corrosion, wear, and fatigue? What the fuck is that?" asked Nintendo's engineering department)
Small parts that are going to be easily lost or broken
Extremely unlikely to be competitive with either the Xbox or the Playstation (Did you see those Skyrim visuals? They're on par with the Xbox 360 version)
The cognitive dissonance that people who actually go to parties and pick up basketball games want to suddenly all stand around squinting at a screen the size of Note or similarly sized phablet
Battery life that will be measured in the low to middle single digit hour range
A kickstand that looks about as robust as a toothpick holding up a boulder

News Comments > Stellaris DLC and Patch
1. Re: Stellaris DLC and Patch Oct 20, 2016, 11:12 Burrito of Peace

As an FYI, any games you have saved under the older 1.2 version are not compatible with the latest patch.  

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Re-launch
1. Re: Medieval Engineers Re-launch Oct 18, 2016, 23:30 Burrito of Peace

How do you "re-launch" a game that hasn't successfully launched in the first place?  

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
5. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 15:04 Burrito of Peace

I want to be excited, I do. I play The Ur-Quan Masters frequently.

But then I saw the three screenshots on the forum post.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 18, 2016, 12:10 Burrito of Peace

Yesterday's wars were livestreamed. There were many live broadcasts of action during the Vietnam War. Many people witnessed their sons being murdered on live TV.

Jesus fuck, you'd think we'd learn from those lessons. But, apparently not. Instead, we'd rather jerk off with our phones in our hands while watching some 19 year old kid for Nowhere, Kansas who doesn't know shit about life or the world gets his head blown off for our amusement and prurient excitement. Or maybe it's not his head. Maybe it's a leg, or an arm, or he gets gutshot. Will they livestream the godawful, sanity tearing screams of anguish and pain that goes along with that? Will we post little sad emojis in a comments section while it goes on?

Our culture is shit. As a nation, we're just goddamned giddy to wave Chinese manufactured American flags and blindly hero worship idiot kids whom are being shoved through a meat grinder for the benefit of a tiny fraction of our population. This is OK? This is what we really want to see and encourage?

News Comments > United Front Games Closed?
2. Re: United Front Games Closed? Oct 18, 2016, 11:36 Burrito of Peace

Let them lie with their Sleeping Dogs.  

2309 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo