Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2448 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
16. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 13:40 Burrito of Peace

Steam has gotten to the point where I am thinking of keeping my current library but no longer purchasing games through them. As someone else mentioned, the "Discovery" queue system is a joke, often filled with crapware and "Early Access" titles. What is likewise "Recommended" to me rarely fits my interest. I think I'll probably switch to GOG since they have a more generous refund policy, tighter rules, and I don't always have to be connected to play my games or fiddle with a client.

Another old man.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gearbox: More Duke? No. More Bulletstorm? Maybe
4. Re: Gearbox: More Duke? No. More Bulletstorm? Maybe Apr 4, 2017, 12:18 Burrito of Peace

Gearbox Publishing gavee me Homeworld Remastered, so I'm happy with them.  

News Comments > Agents of MAYHEM in August
5. Re: Agents of MAYHEM in August Apr 3, 2017, 11:38 Burrito of Peace

New Saints Row game? I'm in!  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 3, 2017, 01:06 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 21:45:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 20:54:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder why this one not only broke the record but did so by such a wide margin?

If I had to guess, it's because "It" is one of the most well known of King's books and it was made in to the early 90s mini-series where Curry killed it as Pennywise.

So, more people know about "It" than they do, say, "Gerald's Game" although that has a movie coming out about it, too.

We had the Carrie remake a couple of years ago. That's at least as well known, didn't break any records. It's just an odd choice to set a record, IMO.

Yes, but the original "Carrie" came out in 1976. The remake bombed as it barely made back its production costs. Also, "It" and Pennywise have a presence in the collective conscience of a very wide demographic. "Carrie", not so much. The closest thing to "It" that has the same widespread culture reference would probably be "The Shining".

So it doesn't surprise me at all. How many "Carrie" memes have you seen? How many Pennywise memes have you seen? I don't think it's surprising at all.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 2, 2017, 20:54 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder why this one not only broke the record but did so by such a wide margin?

If I had to guess, it's because "It" is one of the most well known of King's books and it was made in to the early 90s mini-series where Curry killed it as Pennywise.

So, more people know about "It" than they do, say, "Gerald's Game" although that has a movie coming out about it, too.

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September; PC Included
7. Re: Destiny 2 in September; PC Included Mar 30, 2017, 22:52 Burrito of Peace

I'm...so...excited... Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping  

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
3. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer Mar 30, 2017, 10:37 Burrito of Peace

I'm burned out on the WW2 setting. I'd love to see a game in this style set in Vietnam. Maybe an alternate timeline wherein the US could actually win.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2017, 14:27 Burrito of Peace

Necrophob wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 14:14:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 13:51:
Necrophob wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 12:07:
Westinghouse goes bankrupt? Somewhere Tesla is dancing. With a pigeon.

About that. Westinghouse was the guy who firmly believed in Tesla's AC model and provided the funding to make it happen.

Though Westinghouse today is a subsidiary of Toshiba.

If anything, he'd be a lot more joyous if Edison's descendant companies all went out of business.

Westinghouse also screwed Tesla out of royalties. The original contract said that Tesla would get a royalty on ever kilowatt generated, but Westinghouse realized this would be a huge amount of money. So he begged Tesla to forfeit the royalties, saying his board would kick him out otherwise. Tesla agreed, as he felt that Westinghouse was the only one who believed in his ideas. Tesla died penniless.

So Tesla agreed of his own volition and accepted the consequences of that decision.

Can't see him getting all that jazzed about Westinghouse Electric Company, which has nothing to do with George Westinghouse and hasn't had for a long time, since Westinghouse's company is now actually CBS.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2017, 13:51 Burrito of Peace

Necrophob wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 12:07:
Westinghouse goes bankrupt? Somewhere Tesla is dancing. With a pigeon.

About that. Westinghouse was the guy who firmly believed in Tesla's AC model and provided the funding to make it happen.

Though Westinghouse today is a subsidiary of Toshiba.

If anything, he'd be a lot more joyous if Edison's descendant companies all went out of business.

News Comments > The Secret World Becoming F2P Secret World Legends
3. Re: The Secret World Becoming F2P Secret World Legends Mar 29, 2017, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 11:06:
Also, the guy before me, did you mean "defiantly?" I don't think you did.

Maybe he did. Maybe it's in the vein of "Fuck you, I AM going to try this game."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 27, 2017, 14:03 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:38:
Which, quite frankly, makes the person using the term more of a snowflake than anyone else, because they are dismissing the concerns of a lot of people simply because they personally don't give a shit.

When used dismissively, I'd partly agree with you. However, no one person cares about all things that other people care about.

I generally tend to agree wholly with this:

Bodolza wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 13:57:
"Special snowflake" is just another term for self-centered.

Especially when it comes to people whom are so self-centered about their own interests that they work to preclude the interests of others.

I've also observed "snowflake" used to describe someone whom is naive.

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
24. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 07:37 Burrito of Peace

I would be interested in it were it free. It is not so I am not.  

25. Re: On Sale Mar 25, 2017, 22:32 Burrito of Peace

What's wrong with "it"? "It" refers to a set of matter (in the physics sense) and "it" is perfectly devoid of gender, race, or any other identifiers. There is literally nothing inherently offensive by such nomenclature and the word already exists without torturous linguistic legerdemain.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Year Five
46. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 01:24 Burrito of Peace

I think I am in for like $20 or whatever the base level was when this game was initially Kickstarted that allowed full and unrestricted access to the game.

I've had fun in the alpha releases so far to the point where the $20 is now moot. I've spent more, to have less fun, for a shorter period of time at some movies I have seen.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 21:32 Burrito of Peace

"Monseigneur: And I am reminded on this holy day of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, long time ago almost 30 years ago. This poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!" -- Boondock Saints  

News Comments > Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month
4. Re: Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month Mar 21, 2017, 12:36 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 10:32:
Why don't they do what people really want, a new CoH. Jackasses!

I can actually answer that question. The team behind CoH/CoV is busy with STO (as well as being owned by A Perfect World) and there wasn't and isn't anyone within NCsoft that can support or maintain the CoH/CoV codebase. It would have to be redone from scratch and there were concerns that it wasn't possible to import the character data for players' accounts from vanilla CoH/CoV to a different engine.

Moreover, there isn't any interest right now within NCsoft to do so. NCA (the North American) is still in pretty dire financial straits due to the epic failures of Tabula Rasa and other titles. From what I know, they are subsisting on Lineage 2 subs and the sales from GW2 and the GW2 store.

I don't have any more information than that.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
68. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 17:06 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 16:09:
I'll bother responding when I feel like it, you seem to have confused yourself with an authority figure that I care about.

But enough about Neil DeGrasse Tyson...

26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 12:40 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 11:37:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 11:22:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 11:06:
Looks like Manveer Heir - BioWare's resident racist - has left the studio to form his studio to do "amazing things." I guess that means he's going to focus on making games that not only push the SJW agenda but continues its openly racist themes. Pretty sure they won't sell. There's no market for that demographic.

I know I've been ultra busy with work and family but what the Hell is this all about?

Related to this and this. Also, Google "Manveer Heir." Literally, that's all you need to google to see more.

OK...so the guy is nuttier than squirrel shit.

18. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 11:06:
Looks like Manveer Heir - BioWare's resident racist - has left the studio to form his studio to do "amazing things." I guess that means he's going to focus on making games that not only push the SJW agenda but continues its openly racist themes. Pretty sure they won't sell. There's no market for that demographic.

I know I've been ultra busy with work and family but what the Hell is this all about?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 18, 2017, 01:35 Burrito of Peace

There are lot of "ifs" to overcome but let's say humanity does end up in space and space travel becomes as bog standard as automobile travel currently is.

When it comes to war, as descender rightly said, there will be no dogfighting. However, I disagree with his scale.

Space warefare will necessarily be between capital ships solely and they will not be fought at hundreds of miles, or thousands of miles but will be at tens of thousands of miles or greater distances. Space is fucking vast, even within our own solar system.

It will also be a lot like submarine warfare is currently. You will have extremely sensitive passive sensors looking for emitting radiation while you do your damndest to emit as little radiation of your own as possible. Heat will be an obvious one but anything in the EM spectrum will be another. I would also assume mass will be as well as space is virtually empty and anything with decent mass will stick out like a sore thumb. Also, you can forget Star Trek and the like. Ships will be automated with manned ships being few and far between. You can build a much smaller ship when you don't have to account for squishy meatbags and their biological needs. Ships that will be manned are going to be huge, larger than the island of Manhattan, because, again, squishy meatbags and their biological needs and those trips will be long duration missions. A decade or longer if you're talking about going out to the edge of the planetary boundaries of the solar system.

The reason for that is relativistic travel. Sure, light travels fast, but how do you get up to even a fraction of c? You can cheat it with Alcubierre's Theory but that is going to made of unobtanium and fueled by areyoukiddingite. In short, we simply do not yet possess the power technology capable of generating that much power, that quickly, storing it, and passing it safely from where it's stored/generated to where it needs to be used. Think about it, it's taken us how long to go from simple, weak acid batteries to lithium-ion technology? A couple of thousand years. We're currently stuck on Lion tech because we can't mass produce anything better.

That also leads us to the problem of energy based weapons. We lack the power to generate them to the point they'd be feasible, we don't have the ability to focus them to the point where dispersal is a non-issue, and the minute you fire one off, you just set off a flare telling everyone in a wide radius where you are.

More than likely, we'll stick to ballistic weaponry such as rail guns and missiles for the foreseeable future. Those just require intercept plot points and something the size of the human head will be hard to track but really fuck up anything it comes across when it's traveling at a fair clip. Missiles can be launched in the same manner and only activate guidance and propulsion systems when they're near the intercept point so that they're feasible as a strike weapon.

Yes, I think way too much about this.

2448 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo