Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 3002 (Veteran)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 23, 2018, 06:28 Burrito of Peace

Bundy wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 22:57:
Yeah, Linus is always living his life somewhere between douchebag and straight up asshole. He's a smart guy, but I don't want to ever meet or know him.

I did get to meet him in person some years back and he was neither a douchebag nor a straight up asshole. He was quite pleasant and had some amusing if not incredibly salient points about Linux.

Xil wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 23:24:
I am glad he is like he is, its the only way to keep the kernel in proper shape. A huge part of the world is running on it (and no i am mot talking desktops), and if everybody would be able to put their crap code in it without someone like linus telling them straight out its crap we would end up in a lot of troubles over time.

And definitely this. There's a cogent and definitive set of reasons why Linux is the de facto standard for almost the entirety of the backbone of modern, digital life. I'm quite glad that Linus is there to keep my favorite OS from turning in to the same kinds of clusterfucks that both Windows and OS X are currently in.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2018, 06:14 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 15:28:
Which city?

Austin. WHAT???
You mean https://www.capmetro.org/ does not get you places in a "timely manner".

Bahahahaha. Cap Metro has to be the second biggest con in Austin's history!

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2018, 09:13.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 14:57 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 13:28:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 11:45:
I would love to take mass transit to my job that is an hour away. Unfortunately, that infrastructure doesn't exist. Hell, even if I lived within the city itself, there is no infrastructure to take mass transit to my job in a timely manner.

What irks me is that we have massive, unnecessary expenditures but we can't afford repairs or improvements to infrastructure.

Which city?

Austin.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 11:45 Burrito of Peace

I would love to take mass transit to my job that is an hour away. Unfortunately, that infrastructure doesn't exist. Hell, even if I lived within the city itself, there is no infrastructure to take mass transit to my job in a timely manner.

What irks me is that we have massive, unnecessary expenditures but we can't afford repairs or improvements to infrastructure.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2018, 13:20 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 12:44:
Hey I built that VM server Burrito! Thanks for your help.

I chose Intel though due to AMDs ongoing GPU passthru issues with KVM. Ended up getting a few less cores/threads but still overkill for my needs.

I've got it running Ubuntu, unRAID and Windows 10 so far. Fucking cool shit. Very impressed with the performance.

Most excellent and you are quite welcome!

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2018, 12:08 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 10:33:
Graphics card prices right now are totally fucking absurd. These fucking crypto-miners will literally KILL PC gaming at this rate.

I wanted to build a new Threadripper based system but, yeah, after seeing the current prices for both GPUs and RAM, I'm just going to bank the money until prices come down.

I think the only way for GPU prices to come back to normal levels of sanity is for the crypto-currency bubble to pop.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Multiplayer Changes; Linux Edition Delayed
4. Re: BATTLETECH Multiplayer Changes; Linux Edition Delayed Jan 17, 2018, 12:01 Burrito of Peace

While I am bummed that Linux support will come after launch, I have full faith that HBS will deliver on their promises. The SR games were awesome and had Linux clients.

I don't think this is campaign co-op so much as skirmish co-op but that's at least a start. If MW sells well for HBS, we might see either an update for campaign co-op or a new game with campaign co-op from the ground up. Full disclosure, I backed this thing for $250.

News Comments > DUSK Early Access
7. Re: DUSK Early Access Jan 11, 2018, 13:46 Burrito of Peace

This looks like absolute dogshit.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

In retrospect, Nirvana still sucks.  

News Comments > The Station Next Month
10. Re: The Station Next Month Jan 9, 2018, 07:54 Burrito of Peace

Station!  

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
13. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 14:40 Burrito of Peace

I guess I'm an old man now because I am still rocking 1080p, 120Hz displays and am absolutely fine with it. Nothing I play is going to require a higher hertz rate (and I wouldn't notice the difference anyway) and I sit maybe 18" or so away from them.

So, 256K, 8Khz, ultrasurround, braincast monitors simply don't interest me. Especially at current prices. I do have a 4K, 120Hz 65" TV but running it in 4K with the HTPC is an exercise in counting the grains of sand on a beach from a 70s era satellite. I can upscale the GUI but that effectively negates running at 4K in the first place.

News Comments > Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things
3. Re: Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things Jan 7, 2018, 15:37 Burrito of Peace

"The cloud is just someone else's computer."  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March
44. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 09:33 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 13:47:
Granted I don't have the fastest machine on the planet, but it runs everything else fine. Star Citizen is a slide show, however. Might be a mem issue, as the hard drive light is constantly loading despite the game being loaded from SSD.

I think it is without a doubt a lack of optimization issue. I have 32GB and while it is not quite a slideshow, it's pretty sluggish. Granted, I hadn't played SC since 3.0 went live, but the last time I played I didn't have the same experience.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2018, 12:31 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 10:36:
Sessions needs a bong hit or two.

I would expect lawsuits from California, Colorado, Washington state, and others that have more or less legalized weed. If they're smart, they'll drag it out for a long time.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2018, 11:11 Burrito of Peace

But, since you posted Blue, you get signal.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Further Analyzing The Intel CPU Jan 4, 2018, 08:09 Burrito of Peace

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 21:17:
A storm in a teacup for "regular" users

But it isn't for where it matters most and that is in the enterprise sector. Unsurprisingly, that's also from where Intel makes most of its profit.

For example, in my organization, almost every "server" that a user sees, touches, or knows about is actually either a VM or a container. Those require serious throughput. The fix for this problem will greatly impact that throughput which will in turn impact user experience and cause increased work, support, and other ancillary costs as we have to spin up more VMs and containers to return performance to acceptable levels.

My fellow sysadmins and I have been emailing up a storm since this news broke even though we're all on vacation to come up with ways to mitigate this problem when we return. For us, and many enterprise environments, this is not a non-trivial problem and we are the "regular users" for the segment wherein this matters most.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:17 Burrito of Peace

Well fuck. I just bought two Dell R740s to use as VM hosts. Intel, natch, since Dell won't ship an Epyc based server.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 13:27 Burrito of Peace

Atom text editor FTW!  

News Comments > Farmer's Dynasty Early Access
6. Re: Farmer's Dynasty Early Access Jan 2, 2018, 13:24 Burrito of Peace

No Ford 8N? No buy!  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
64. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 1, 2018, 13:16 Burrito of Peace

Redmask wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 10:24:
Ad hominems and non sequitors

So you actually have nothing meaningful to add or actual facts. Got it.

3002 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo