Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2223 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2015, 10:01 Burrito of Peace

So he's going from someplace that makes shitty games to a place that is, at least publicly at this time, not making any games at all?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 12:07 Burrito of Peace

NetHead wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 11:59:
Perhaps is hasn't occurred to some that Intel can and does use such "System Requirements" as marketing, especially with big studios.

As a former Intel employee, I know they do. Hell, while working in SDV, I would work with ISVs for just that purpose. However, that was always in the Recommended section, not the required section.

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
10. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 10:10 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 09:53:
Ok I got my popcorn ready!

You plan on eating a small child? That seems rather...drastic.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 10:08 Burrito of Peace

Wait, so their stated minimum proc is a Skylake processor? Really?

News Comments > Ubisoft Teasing Something; Maybe Far Cry Primal?
11. Re: Ubisoft Teasing Something; Maybe Far Cry Primal? Oct 5, 2015, 22:41 Burrito of Peace

Said in a really small voice "Silent Hunter 6!"  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 5, 2015, 16:18 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:09:
I love how all you "pro-life" assholes are all pro-gun, pro-violence, pro-war, pro-poverty, pro-capital punishment, pro-trophy hunting, etc. etc. etc. You're the complete fucking opposite of pro-life. You don't know the first fucking thing about morality because you're all souless psychopaths.

I'm both pro-choice and pro-gun. Does that make me a sociopathic psychopath?

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
43. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 5, 2015, 15:03 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 11:03:
I appreciate that you've explained all of that to me. I've had so much going on in the last two months that I have not had but a few minutes here and there to keep current on things related to gaming and computing. I would like nothing more than to sit down for an hour or two and go over it bit by bit but I just don't have the time. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested.

You are quite welcome. I'd rather inform than get in to an internet slapfight over an "us vs them" mentality. I also understand not having the time to pursue all the areas that interest you. Hell, if knowing this stuff wasn't part of my job, I'd probably not know half as much as I do.

I realize tone is a very hard thing to project in online communication, however I assure you that I was not frothing at the mouth, nor was I stamping my feet like a mad little boy. I will apologize though, as I broke one of my cardinal rules when commenting here at Blues. I don't post unless I have the time to fully explain my reasons (and any replies afterward) and I don't post if I don't know what I'm talking about. My other rule is that I don't post when I'm angry, tired, drunk, or hyper. As a writer, I tend to suffer from 'writers block' on occasion, however for the last few months I've been having a really hard time transferring my thoughts to words. Even when I'm talking this has become a serious problem, the words I want to say are there in my head but I just can't get them out. I know what I want to say, just I don't know how. And it's been getting worse. I should have kept my 'mouth' shut in this instance instead of going full-bore fanboy and putting 'MSW' on blast. I stepped into an argument I wasn't equipped to handle and I was more annoyed at my own inability to get out what I meant than what MSW was saying and that shows in my responses.

I think for now, I'm just going to silently lurk and read until I have the ability to adequately and respectfully discuss something. Again, I appreciate you breaking down the details, I wish sites would do that more often for those of us that don't have hours to devote to comparing stats and benchmarks...

=-Rigs-=

I absolutely understand. Normally I try to be calm and rational, with a snide of lighthearted snark here and there. There are some days, though, I can't articulate what I want to say even if what I wanted to say was "The sky is blue". For me, that usually starts on the 8th or 9th day of an insomnia streak and then it's like I'm a lunatic off his meds. I hope you get it worked out and get your "voice" back, so to speak.

Again, you are quite welcome. If at any time I can be of service like that, send me an email through the site and I'll get back to you as soon as I am able.

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
35. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 22:18 Burrito of Peace

No Man's Sky? Yawn. Everything I've seen of it is just a pretty shell with no actual content that is engaging, complex, and interesting. "Look, you flew to this planet and saw a purple dinosaur and a plant with green leaves! Then you flew to another planet and saw a green dinosaur and a plant with purple leaves! ISN'T THIS AMAZING??!?!?!?"

No, no it isn't. I wish some of these devs had been around in the early days of gaming so that they could see what so many of their predecessors did with limited resources while still giving the player much more content. No Man's Sky has some good tech, but they need content like Captain Blood to give it life.

41. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 3, 2015, 23:33 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:27:
...I don't have enough time in the day to keep track of their mobile line or SSD performance or whatever it was Lansbury and Tacosalad were talking about...

That's an interesting sobriquet you've chosen for me, Rigs. I'm not entirely sure what I, personally, have done to earn it but thank you.

You should make the time because SoCs are going to be the mainline source of income for any chip manufacturer in the very near future. For some companies, that is already a fact. Without that mainline source of income for a chip manufacturer, niche products like video cards are going to be less and less important until they disappear entirely.

I'll give you an example. Intel, the largest hardware technology company ever, is focusing more and more on SoCs. They've flat out stopped making motherboards that aren't server or workstation class boards, and even then those boards are in limited designs and quantity. They are focused, in the consumer space, on the NUC design because it allows them to showcase their SoC/embedded/micro design and manufacturing capabilities. They've even taken it in to the enterprise sector with the Xeon D, which you can read about here. That's all on 14nm, by the way. What's AMD down to now? 28nm?

Iris Pro has always been targeted at the embedded/SoC/AIO/micro markets with the small benefit of being able to integrate it in to consumer oriented products as/if needed. Is it going to be performance gaming oriented? Hell no, but then most of the world's users aren't performance gaming oriented. They want to be able to play low stress games like Candy Crush, Minecraft, and other titles like it. Iris Pro will do that easily and in a tablet form or laptop form or even a cell form and it will do it with some pretty low power consumption? What does AMD have to counter that? All I hear is crickets.

Even if you wanted to narrowly compare AMD's ATi offerings against Nvidia's offerings, AMD is getting their ass handed to them there as well. Nvidia is refining and boosting their Tegra line (as I mentioned upthread with their X1) which is going in to Google's latest line of tablets. "But I don't buy Google tablets because..." doesn't matter. Other people do or other second tier manufacturers use them as reference designs for their own products if they aren't already going with Intel's solutions. The Surface Pro line is arguably the most powerful tablet cum laptop design in the world right now and it uses Intel's solution. If you buy a non-Pro, you're getting an Nvidia solution with the Tegra line. What does AMD have to compete with the entire tablet market? Nothing.

"B..b..but VIDEO CARDS!" OK, let's take a look at them. Hereis a comparison between a R390 and a 970. The R390 looks pretty good, right? But the 970 isn't the top of the line for Nvidia is it? Nope, that'd be the 980Ti. So let's bump the Radeon down to an equivalent class. That would be the 380. Here is that comparison. Uh oh, looks like the 970 destroys the R380 in absolute performance. Ouch.

Let's do top of the line. 390X versue 980GTX Ti. Well, here are those results. Pretty decent but AMD knew what the 980 series was going to be capable of because they had nearly a year since the launch of the 980GTX (non Ti) versus when they released the 390X. Again, ouch. The R390 is comparative to a one year old card and they released it this year.

You've admitted that you're a fan boy and that's OK. I'm a Raiders fan and have been for years. However good the Raiders might look this year, it doesn't prevent me from honestly admitting that the Raiders have sucked for a very, very long time. I'm honestly not trying to antagonize you but you come off as pretty shrill and militant in your support of AMD. It makes you come off as a frothing, glazed eyed hype monkey. I've seen many of your posts over the years and, normally, you come across as a fairly rational person but in this thread...not so much.

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
7. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 2, 2015, 20:44 Burrito of Peace

So Microsoft bought a software package from Intel. That's interesting. I wonder what Intel got in return for the deal? It probably wouldn't be money since Havok isn't exactly a hot IP. Possibly future SoC optimizations for future cloud and mobile OSes?  

36. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 23:16 Burrito of Peace

Murder She Wrote wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 20:03:
They don't have a viable mobile SoC.

This, I think more than anything, is what is going to kill AMD in the long run. Right now, they've got some money rolling in from being an OEM supplier to Sony and Microsoft but that's not going to last forever. Intel is investing billions in mobile/embedded/micro technology, Nvidia is doing the same (and their new Tegra X1 looks pretty decent), ARM is currently the king with no end in sight to their reign, Samsung is plowing billions in to their SoCs and let's not forget Qualcomm, whom may be currently on the ropes but is not out yet. AMD, on the other hand, is waving their hands and saying "Guys? Guys! Check out our APUs!" APUs are all well and good but when I can't hold your entire system including proc, memory, storage, video, and networking (both physical and wireless) in the palm of my hand then it's utterly useless for the direction the market is trending.

Unless Samsung sees some value in the patents or manufacturing that AMD holds that no one else does, I don't think Samsung is likely to purchase what is largely a sinking ship. Why bother? They have their own massive R&D, they're a household name in everything from SSDs, to displays and on down the line to refrigerators.

30. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 18:47 Burrito of Peace

I think it's interesting that, when discussing AMD/ATi, the products most focused on are graphics cards. I agree with Murder She Wrote's statement of "Every arch can't be a winner and both companies have made notable stinkers in the past." The FX5800 and its noise level come to mind from Nvidia.

However, what I mostly focus on is CPUs and AMD hasn't released a decent CPU that is competitive in power consumption, performance, and heat generation with Intel in a very, very long time. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Athlon XP (Palomino) way back in 2000. Yes, AMD is less expensive than Intel's offerings but, then, they have to be as that is the only area that they can be competitive with Intel in.

My own anecdotal experience with AMD is not a very particularly positive one. I had an Athlon XP (Thunderbird) with an Asus A7V board. The CPU dropped dead within 11 months. The next AMD procs I had were the Athlon MPs in a cluster of servers that were running off of Tyan Tiger S2460 motherboards. Every second core dropped dead within 3 months of deployment, all within about the span of two weeks. After working with Tyan and AMD, it was discovered that the problem was not with the Tyan motherboards, but a voltage regulation problem with the SMP of the Athlon MPs. The AMD engineer promised it would be fixed with a microcode update but I had a business to run. Swapped them out for Xeons and different motherboards and never had another problem.

Just for grins, I went to CPUBoss and pitted the Xeon E3-1275v2 that I have in my current gaming machine against an Opteron of the same vintage with double the cores. The E3 won rather handily. You can see it here. Before any AMD fanboy whines that it's just single core performance comparison with no multicore sampling, I'd point out that in every day use, most of what you run is single threaded.

Is my Xeon a bit of an overkill for home use? For most people, probably so, but then most people don't have 6 to 8 VMs running in the backround while playing Dying Light, either.

10. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Sep 30, 2015, 22:52 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 22:45:
We've just been getting a lot more bang for our buck.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

6. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Sep 30, 2015, 22:26 Burrito of Peace

WaltC wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:23:
...this is precisely why I haven't bought a nVidia GPU since 2002...

That's funny because I haven't purchased an underpowered, poorly supported AMD/ATi product since 2001.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
6. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 13:57 Burrito of Peace

Funded for $135.

I want a modern Mechwarrior game, damn it!

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Sep 24, 2015, 10:59 Burrito of Peace

Lord Tea wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 10:39:
It's silky smooth here on my 970 with everything maxed. Playing at 1080p though.

Likewise. Maybe it's too smooth and that's why I'm getting motion sickness? I'm not experiencing this with any other game that I am currently playing, just this one.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 24, 2015, 09:13 Burrito of Peace

I, too, picked up Dying Light because it was on sale and because I just picked up a 970. I wanted something that I could use to torture the card.

It's certainly pretty but I'm having a problem where I am getting motion sickness playing it. I've got the FOV almost cranked all the way up to the right.

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
19. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 23, 2015, 14:14 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 13:51:
And in any case the hoops you have to jump through seem extremely easy, especially compared to something like rolling back a video driver.

Why should someone who legally purchased a game have to jump through hoops at all, regardless of how easy they may seem?

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
16. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 23, 2015, 13:14 Burrito of Peace

Which is great.

But what I meant was that if you don't have the Origin version, and instead have the retail version, you have to jump through hoops to get your legally purchased game to run.

Seems like bad form to me.

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
17. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 11:21 Burrito of Peace

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 10:09:
Because art persists and a TPS report does not.

If only that were actually true...

2223 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo