Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2848 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2018, 11:11 Burrito of Peace

But, since you posted Blue, you get signal.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Further Analyzing The Intel CPU Jan 4, 2018, 08:09 Burrito of Peace

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 21:17:
A storm in a teacup for "regular" users

But it isn't for where it matters most and that is in the enterprise sector. Unsurprisingly, that's also from where Intel makes most of its profit.

For example, in my organization, almost every "server" that a user sees, touches, or knows about is actually either a VM or a container. Those require serious throughput. The fix for this problem will greatly impact that throughput which will in turn impact user experience and cause increased work, support, and other ancillary costs as we have to spin up more VMs and containers to return performance to acceptable levels.

My fellow sysadmins and I have been emailing up a storm since this news broke even though we're all on vacation to come up with ways to mitigate this problem when we return. For us, and many enterprise environments, this is not a non-trivial problem and we are the "regular users" for the segment wherein this matters most.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:17 Burrito of Peace

Well fuck. I just bought two Dell R740s to use as VM hosts. Intel, natch, since Dell won't ship an Epyc based server.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 13:27 Burrito of Peace

Atom text editor FTW!  

News Comments > Farmer's Dynasty Early Access
6. Re: Farmer's Dynasty Early Access Jan 2, 2018, 13:24 Burrito of Peace

No Ford 8N? No buy!  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
64. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 1, 2018, 13:16 Burrito of Peace

Redmask wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 10:24:
Ad hominems and non sequitors

So you actually have nothing meaningful to add or actual facts. Got it.

62. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 31, 2017, 21:25 Burrito of Peace

Redmask wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 09:19:
Those countries don't have 300 million gun owners to worry about, it's probably a lot easier to be friendly when you don't have to worry about every single person in the country having a gun.

See, that little bullshit nugget gets trotted out all the time and it is absolute nonsense. There are ~327 million people in the United States. Of those, 36% either own guns or have access to guns. Now, if I do the math that is ~118 million people. However, of that 36%, only about 12% actively handle their firearms. So that is ~14 million people. Or 4% of the total population. 4%.

That means that 96% of the entire United States are not actively handling their firearms or even using them infrequently to target practice. The overwhelming majority of the country is, for all intents and purposes, willfully unarmed. Yet cops, or their unions or the bought and paid for politicians, in the US act like they're in the middle of fucking Mogadishu in the middle of an active, volatile global conflict.

But, no, clearly all this murdering of civilians by police is the fault of unarmed civilians because, hey, 4 WHOLE FUCKING PERCENT OF THE NATIONAL POPULATION may or may not be armed at any given time.

Any more horseshit talking points that bootlickers like to trot out that need to be debunked?

34. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 31, 2017, 08:52 Burrito of Peace

There are no simple solutions to fix incompetence on this level of tragedy. However, a good first step is to charge, try, and convict the shooting cop with first degree murder.

I think it's interesting that there exists a wide gulf between the operational mindset of US cops and, well, pretty much any other police force in a first world country.

A few personal examples of this is as follows:

I generally tend to get up most days at 0400, grab a quick cup of tea, and go for a walk.

In Sydney, a policeman stopped and said "Hey mate. Are you all right? Are you lost?" He was genuinely inquiring as to my well being. He was also kind enough to tell me what areas to avoid that early in the morning.

In the US, I have been stopped, questioned as to where I came from, where I was going, why I was walking that early in the morning, and on two separate occasions had my then dog threatened who was sitting very calmly at my feet.

In Canada, I was visiting my in-laws in a relatively small town west of Toronto and was asked to stop at a nearby store to pick some things up. I freely admit that I became lost on the way back. This was in the days before GPS enabled cellphones and Google maps. A local policeman also stopped me and, when I said that I had gotten a bit turned around, gave me a ride back while chatting rather pleasantly. Turns out he had gone to high school with my wife and knew exactly where her parents lived.

The plural of anecdote is not data but in just those examples, there was a marked difference between how the police forces of three different countries perceive a person of the random public and how they chose to interact with them.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2017, 20:44 Burrito of Peace

At this point, and with all the information that is available to a person, anyone who trusts cops or gives them the "benefit of the doubt" is either woefully naive or an active and willing participant in the abuse of power.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2017, 22:36 Burrito of Peace

I'm shocked, utterly shocked, that a blue suited, jackbooted government thug has yet again murdered an unarmed civilian.

But, yeah, right...they're heroes. Heroes for slaughtering unarmed civilians posing no real, concrete threat. Heroes for destroying or burying evidence to keep from facing their actions. Heroes for not effectively or ethically cleansing the cancerous rot that goes to their very core.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 15:09:
In the early oughts when I lived in Austin, the residents of a nearby tony hilly neighborhood...

Westlake Hills never changes...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2017, 13:57 Burrito of Peace

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:11:
Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:00:
Yeah except who the hell wants a $100,000+ pickup truck with one seat? People either buy pickups for work or as family vehicles. The artist rendering makes it wholly impractical, electric or not. That looks like nothing more than a toy for city slickers to drive around.

There are people out there for sure that would buy that, but those that won't, are your typical truck owners, they'll want to stay gas/diesel as long as anybody. But there are people out there certainly.

Although I have had, and still continue to have, toy vehicles for fun and sunny weekends, I have had a truck as a daily driver for the entirety of my driving life. However, I am not adverse to an electric truck provided it offers the same utility as my current gas powered truck. It needs to be able to haul rock, hay, wood, camping gear, a trailer, a boat, and a bunch of other stuff I use a truck for. If an electric truck can do all that and still give me the 400ish mile range that my current gas powered truck can, I would consider it seriously.

Also, charge time needs to not be a pain in the ass. I've got a three prong, 220v, 50A outlet in the quonset hut so I would expect to plug the truck in when I got home and have it fully ready and available for the next day's usage.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support
13. Re: NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support Dec 24, 2017, 01:49 Burrito of Peace

Good.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2017, 20:58 Burrito of Peace

Fuck Amber alerts while we're at it, too. I turn those off as well. I know, here's a really fucking solid plan:

1. Blare some skullfucking, ear piercing alarm at all hours of the day and night even when you have the audio disabled.
2. Give the shittiest description known to man. Case in point "Brown Nissan. Plate OU812AZBA". Right, because when I am driving at 80 on the highway, I have time or the inclination to check every fucking plate of a brown Nissan at speed.

I don't care if its the goddamned Childlike Empress being kidnapped, there's zero cause to blare my fucking phone at 3am on a Wednesday because some kid 150 miles away may or may not be actually missing.

News Comments > Black Desert Online New Quest Next Month
1. Re: Black Desert Online New Quest Next Month Dec 22, 2017, 20:49 Burrito of Peace

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. "Blue Alerts," indicating danger to law enforcement in your area. Dec 20, 2017, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

And I'll turn them off just as quickly. Fuck your text message spam.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II: Rise of the Tomb Kings Announced
2. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER II: Rise of the Tomb Kings Announced Dec 19, 2017, 21:52 Burrito of Peace

Did Warhammer I ever come out with all the nickle and dime DLC wrapped up in one GOTY edition?  

News Comments > Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free
4. Re: Get Layers of Fear and Soundtrack for Free Dec 18, 2017, 23:12 Burrito of Peace

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 22:42:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 21:52:
Great deal!

Arguably, the only way it could be a better deal is if they were to pay you to take the game and play it.

Picked it up, although Steam bugged out when I tried to add the soundtrack, said 'Application Failure' or something along those lines.

Trying to put the soundtrack key in again said it was already added to my account, but it doesn't show up. Oh well.

You didn't have the game installed. The Soundtrack is considered "DLC". Ran in to the same issue myself.

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again
1. Re: Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again Dec 15, 2017, 11:20 Burrito of Peace

"In order to meet the wishes of their very active and enthusiastic community..."

"MOAR MINORITIES TO BEAT AND SHOOT!"
"How about a sort of 'get off scot free' card where we can kill innocent civilians and not have to face jail time or penalties?"
"Can we get military gear? Nothing says 'effective traffic stop' like rolling up in anti-riot tank and armed with AR-15s!"

31. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 13, 2017, 22:44 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 13:07:
Thanks for all of the info. I need to take some time and wrap my head around it I think. I think where I'm mentally stuck is how the physical resources are allocated between the VMs. Like if I passthru my GPU to the Windows VM, I assume that means I need another card or iGPU type thing for Linux?

That would be correct. However, if all you're doing in Linux is web surfing, email, etc then an iGPU is more than sufficient these days.

Can I share a single monitor between them or do I need 2?

You can indeed. Just use different inputs like HDMI and DisplayPort or whatever connections you have. Just switch between them on your monitor of choice. I use my primary monitor and just switch from HDMI to DP.

I want a Linux VM as well for programming and hosting my home server crap. Same thing with storage, it sounds like I should really just put them both on separate SSDs.

If the SSD is big enough, you can put them on the same SSD without issue. Hell, I've got six active VMs on my SSD that I use for my home directory without issue.

Then I need a physical KVM or Synergy to control it all. What do I even bridge, just the networking and input devices? At that point I guess I'm wondering why am I not just building two systems?

You need neither a KVM or Synergy to control it. If you choose to use KVM (which is not a Keyboard-Video-Mouse switch but, rather, stands for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) ala Fedora, Red Hat or CentOS, you would simply use Virtual Machine Manager and it would provide you with console access to the VM. Whether that console was a GUI or a CLI would be up to your configuration.

Because you don't need two systems. You really don't. You're right now thinking about this like a VM is a real machine and they are far from that. Let me give you an example:

I have six active VMs running on my current workstation. Even though I only have a quad core Xeon and 64GB of memory, I have told each virtual machine that it "has" 4 cores and 8GB of memory. Even when they're all doing their assigned tasks, I have 1 PHYSICAL core that runs at about 80% load. The other three are still 100% free for my local use. The process of telling a bunch of VMs that there are more resources available than there actually is is called "overallocation" and it is awesome. You see, no one VM is going to actually use all available resources all the time. Hell, a bunch of VMs aren't going to use all available resources all the time. So you can use a lot of them while still making your workstation performant.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong though. I've only dabbled a bit with VMWare at the office.

It takes a bit to get your head wrapped around a bit but you will and then you'll wonder "Why the Hell did I let my system sit idle for so damn long?"

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2017, 06:28.

2848 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo