Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2479 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 00:52 Burrito of Peace

"Why do dogs tilt their heads?"
"Because they fucking can."

End of story. Turn out the lights. We're done here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Long Journey Home Begins
2. Re: The Long Journey Home Begins Jun 1, 2017, 10:50 Burrito of Peace

Acleacius wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 06:37:
Damn, I really wanted to like this and maybe they'll fix it in the future but, the Shuttle (mining and such) probably has the worst control/gameplay I've seen in 25 years of PC gaming. It's certainly possible a controller could prevent the ridiculously bad design. Yet if your K/M player such as myself, I don't see this being any fun.

Actually it's worst than not fun, it's frustrating and irritating. I thought maybe it was just me. Even though I play video games at least an hour a day. So, I even tried it for about 15 min with a simulated god mod, trying to get the hang of it. It only gets worst, because you think you will get used to it, learn it like every other video game. Nope, it never gets better. I've never been so glad of refunds on Steam.

THIS! FUCKING THIS!

The Lander controls are just awful, clunky, and slow. It was maddening trying to hover long enough to harvest gas.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 10:48 Burrito of Peace

Ugh, home repair and renovation. I, too, am smack dab in the middle of it to get a house ready for sale. It's a massive drag.

Mad Monster trucks made me miss Microsoft's Monster Truck Madness. "Bigfoot is doing it IN THE AIR!"

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 07:50 Burrito of Peace

You would be incorrect, CJ.

I was very much talking about Epyc as all of my workload is done either on a dual socket Xeon workstation or distributed to the clusters in the mini datacenter that I converted my two car garage in to. "Burrito dude" has no fucks to give about desktop processors outside of being happy that we have true competition back in the marketplace.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2017, 13:00 Burrito of Peace

Holy shit Epyc looks awesome! Release date 20 June. Of course I am going to wait for unbiased reviews that pit Xeon vs Epyc fairly but, damn, it's good to see competition back in the market.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 12:59 Burrito of Peace

I used to smoke nearly two packs of menthol American Spirits a day. I also used to get bronchitis every February and November like clockwork. A coworker convinced me to try vaping three years ago and I haven't had another cigarette since then. It's amazing the money you save and how radically everything you sense changes. You also don't stink to high fucking heaven. Even getting on an elevator after a smoker has exited it on some other floor is like smelling the ass end of a chimney that hasn't been cleaned in 100 years.

News Comments > Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez
7. Re: Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez May 31, 2017, 12:37 Burrito of Peace

Here's how I am looking at it: KSP is a great game but the base game is still rough, years after I backed it. I absolutely love, love, love the game but I am not blind to its faults nor of the shitty behavior of Squad, either. KSP is a good game, KSP is a great game with mods. Take 2 has the opportunity to take the ideas of some of the mods and incorporate them in to a KSP 2 with a team that isn't a bunch of assclowns. People who can actually fix stuff in a reasonable time frame (looking at you stock landing gear here that doesn't have proper friction above the medium size) and improve upon the systems and gameplay.

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
6. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 10:22 Burrito of Peace

This is one of those announcements that we would have gotten excited about some years back but these days I'm far less impressed or excited. My 4770K at work continues to run everything I throw at it, the Xeons in my workstation and servers at home are all still running like striped ass apes, and there's no "killer app" that exists for the mainstream* that requires this kind of horsepower for even the above average buyer. Couple that with Intel's ridiculous pricing schemes and I'm failing to see the point here outside of Intel saying "Uh, we totally have an answer to Ryzen and the upcoming 'Threadripper'. Honest, we really do."

Couple that with the fact that they're introducing yet another socket type and chipset and yet still no ECC support outside of Xeon territory and it seems like they're floundering around for a problem to solve.

Barring a part failure, I still see no adequate reason to upgrade and, even should I need to, I can't see a compelling reason to pick an Intel processor that is more expensive than a Ryzen when I won't notice the 10% performance difference in IPC. We're more than a decade past the point where we were processor bound and waving your iDick around over 8FPS difference in one synthetic benchmark is laughably childish.

*"B..b..but VR!" Fuck off with that shit. It's still too expensive for the average consumer, there's still not a standard (and the Vive\Rift dick waving reminds me the Glide\DirectX dick waving of the late 90s), and there's not a single title that has yet to capture mainstream attention as a "must have".

News Comments > Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off
10. Re: Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off May 29, 2017, 19:50 Burrito of Peace

I just want another Privateer or Freelancer type game that is of excellent quality.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 15:48 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on May 26, 2017, 15:57:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 26, 2017, 15:49:
Summer hasn't started, summer is already here. 106F with the heat index today. 107 or 108 tomorrow.
Woof! Southwest I assume? Midwest is definitely warming up, breaking 80 today but dipping back down after today.

Central Texas.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
24. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 27, 2017, 15:47 Burrito of Peace

It's...ok, not really what I was hoping for. I keep waiting for a station where I can buy stuff but, yeah, apparently this is just a "run through different branches killing X number of ships from Y number of varieties over and over again until you reach the end."

I, too, was hoping for more of a Freelancer/Privateer style of game.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2017, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

Summer hasn't started, summer is already here. 106F with the heat index today. 107 or 108 tomorrow.  

News Comments > Quarantine Released
5. Re: Quarantine Released May 25, 2017, 07:04 Burrito of Peace

Beamer, you missed out. The soundtrack on the CD for it was awesome in its weird, Australian quaintness and the game itself was pretty awesome once you advanced.

Qbex, yeah...you definitely had to plug away at it in some spots to gain a bit of traction. A friend and I spent one summer finishing it amidst other activities.

I used to have a rip of the soundtrack off the CD but that got lost years ago with a hard disk failure.

News Comments > Quarantine Released
2. Re: Quarantine Released May 24, 2017, 22:30 Burrito of Peace

Sadly, this is not a remake of the awesome quarantine wherein one drives a taxi cab in a murderous, dystopic future.  

61. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2017, 07:05 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on May 23, 2017, 13:44:
If by queso you mean...

I do not, not even close. Velveeta is heresy. Worthy of an exterminatus.

Agent-Zero wrote on May 23, 2017, 16:10:
...just sit down and shut up... nobody cares

And yet you cared enough to post the most boring, Caucasian attempt at "queso" without the use of processed cheese food product.

So, kindly, sit down, shut up, and let folks who know how to make queso do so. I bet you didn't even use a molcajete.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 23, 2017, 13:25 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2017, 09:36:
Everyone in GTAV sucked. Sucked. Probably the worst characters I've ever seen in a video game, including Franklin, who was insanely dull to me. But at least they attempted to make Franklin and Michael sympathetic, and Trevor entertaining. The women in the game were all identical, shrill cheaters that you were supposed to despise.

But the actual world the people lived in was insanely well realized. The writing was awful, but some missions were great, as was just screwing around. If they could combine the world with the same writing they did for Max Payne 3 (which was so much better), or even Saints Row (which manages to capture the humor GTA seems desperate for)...

RDR, though, was a masterpiece.

I was never able to finish RDR because of the bugs on the 360 so I can't confirm or deny that it was a masterpiece. All I can say is that it frustrated me so much that I stopped playing it and never went back due to the bugs. That's a failure on the devs part, not mine. There's no way RDR should have made it out of QA with the bugs it had on fixed platforms like the PS3 and 360.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 13:20 Burrito of Peace

Agent-Zero wrote on May 23, 2017, 12:17:
Ive always loved that queso dip at mexican places... problem is the quality is always widely inconsistent and yes its often just really plastic tasting, etc.

so I learned how to make my own... and its super easy

basically its a simple bechamel - just start a standard roux base (slowly cook some flour + butter til light brown), then whisk in a bit of half+half, raise heat till it simmers - then whisk in a bunch of grated monterey jack and also a bit of goat cheese (for sharpness) and finely chopped fresh jalapeno (for the spice)... its pretty hard to fuck it up - just keep adding a bit of the same elements here and there until you get the right taste or consistency

totally destroys that store bought and restaurant stuff..

This...this is not queso. Not even in the slightest. The only thing it has in common with queso is that it has some version of cheese.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 23, 2017, 07:28 Burrito of Peace

At this point, I think I'm done with Rockstar. GTA V was, to me, mediocre. I disliked every character but Franklin. In fact, I found them all rather boring. The open world thing is now being done by everyone and their brother. The original RDR was so full of bugs at launch that videos of them became a global, cultural thing for a while.

The last Rockstar title that I enjoyed was MCLA and that was largely due to the street racing that my friends and I could do together.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
12. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 21, 2017, 22:28 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on May 21, 2017, 20:17:
HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2017, 16:56:
There are companies that spend 10's of millions and still had this happen to some degree. This I know as fact. You needed the March update to be protected if this fired off on your pc. Not 10 years worth of protection, not Aprils, March's. If one system didn't take the upgrade and that user clicked the email, gotcha. You can spend a lot of money and still have that scenario happen because PC's just don't always take. Looking at my biz PC it failed once and then 4 days later took the patch, this was still a few good weeks ahead of when it hit.

This happens to a few systems in a corporation that for some reason didn't upgrade, no big deal. Tech support reimages those machines, and a few hours later the users are back up and running.

I'm talking about corporations that got thousands of PCs hit by this. That's just pure stupidity or laziness or both. And typically in an IT department, that's caused because there's a bunch of useless shitheels in charge, or because there's no money.

Likewise, if you're in a company that is spending in the "10s of millions" of dollars for IT support and your shop is either mostly or entirely Windows based and you aren't using SCCM to manage all those machines, your IT VP is an idiot, who is probably eating paste right now and laughing at the magic whirly thing on the ceiling.

Where I work currently, none of the machines were infected. Those machines who had not been updated were denied outside access, sandboxed on to an isolated VLAN, and forced to update via SCCM. Oh the users couldn't work? Sucks to be them. And before some smartass comes back with a snarky "Yeah, say that to a VP or CEO or blah blah blah". One of those users was the Prevost (kinda like an EVP) and they were still sandboxed and force updated.

There are two kinds of companies: those who understand IT is just as important as the legal department and treat it as such, and those who treat it like a cost center and are one good data breach away from bankruptcy or buyout.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 18, 2017, 09:50 Burrito of Peace

It's not just the Inspiron model that is having a problem. At work, we have a couple thousand Optiplex 7040s deployed on a campus I supervise. Tuesday, we picked 100 as a test lot. 48% of them experienced a no post/no boot scenario after updating to the latest BIOS to fix the AMT vulnerability.

A little more than three hours on the phone with Dell, an actual engineer finally got in contact with me and we had to short a particular pin on a jumper (not the "Magic Blue Jumper" that is usually reserved for clearing BIOS passwords and CMOS values) to get in to recovery mode so we could then hand load those 48 machines with USB sticks.

Normally, we use SCCM to deploy the BIOS update package through Windows and there's not a problem. The mouth breathing phone monkeys kept trying to point the finger at SCCM as the problem when the engineer I spoke to just laughed wryly. Dell's support is terrible, even at Premier and Gold levels. These BIOS updates scream "rush job" with little to no eval and QA being done.

2479 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo