Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2221 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
3. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 09:40 Burrito of Peace

So, there's a couple of things here that I have questions about:

1. Whatever the wattage is (300,400, or 500) is that across the whole bus or per slot? If it's the whole bus, then we'll still be using 8 pin power connectors for video cards when more than one is present in a system.

2. Regardless of whether this is per slot or the entire bus, we're going to need another power connector for the motherboard. As most modern power supplies have several 8 pin connectors available for video cards, it'd make sense to use that form factor for delivering the extra power to the board. Will that be the case or are we going to see yet another pin configuration for a plug?

edit: "The slot"? So does that mean only a single slot will be rated for the higher power bandwidth?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2016, 15:51 Burrito of Peace

Having never seen any of the animated DC stuff, ever, and only vaguely remembering the X-men animated thing, I recently watched "The Killing Joke" because I had a few friends that were absolutely spazzing over it.

I...didn't get the hype. It was OK but the backstory of the evolution of the Joker was weak sauce. Hamill does a fine Joker, however. The story itself was a big old sack of "meh" to me.

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
18. Re: Mass Effect Remasters Hint Aug 17, 2016, 09:16 Burrito of Peace

"Activision has since released a number of remasters or ports, and now they are working on a full-on remaster for MW."

I got excited for half a second, thinking that Activision was remastering the MechWarrior games but then I realized they were talking about that piece of shit Modern Warfare.

News Comments > Police Simulator Law Enforcement Announced
4. Re: Police Simulator Law Enforcement Announced Aug 12, 2016, 23:28 Burrito of Peace

Will I be allowed to harass minorities, illegally confiscate personal property, illegally wiretap on anyone I choose, and never face any consequences for whatever misdeeds I may commit?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2016, 11:52 Burrito of Peace

The older I become, the more I am convinced that the US is becoming a corporate fascism.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2016, 14:44.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
37. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 09:47 Burrito of Peace

LiTh wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:16:
Nothing more enjoyable then watching Blues posters bitch and moan about microsoft as they post from their microsoft OS's.

I just kind of feel sorry for people who use Windows as their only OS at this point.

News Comments > StarCraft HD Next Month?
5. Re: StarCraft II HD Next Month? Aug 5, 2016, 11:06 Burrito of Peace

El Pit wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 11:00:
nin wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 10:39:
WC 1+2+DP, please...

And I would have expected them to save this for Blizzcon.

What has Wing Commander to do with Blizzard? Oh, wait... I got it.

Hell, what does Double Penetration have to do with Blizzard?

On a side note, I would be interested in this if I could be single player offline with no Battle.net account required.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 4, 2016, 19:07 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 10:59:
Interested in the penguin, check out Manjaro, a rolling release. Arch based and Arch compatible but it is not Arch.

While I do not disagree that Manjaro is a tasty distro, I would not at all recommend it for people whom want to try Linux. Manjaro is where you head once you've graduated out of the kiddie pool but aren't ready for Debian, Fedora, Arch, or Gentoo. For new users, I think Mint is alright but I generally steer people toward Korora with Cinnamon these days. It has newer packages than Mint and doesn't rely on the hackjob bullshit that Ubuntu does.

News Comments > Disney Platformers on GOG.com
6. Re: Disney Platformers on GOG.com Aug 4, 2016, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

I wish they would have brought Disney Coaster to GOG.  

News Comments > Vikings Wolves of Midgard Trailer
3. Re: Vikings Wolves of Midgard Trailer Aug 3, 2016, 13:52 Burrito of Peace

I like the looks of it, like the fact that it has online co-op, and love the fact it has a Linux version.

Still, I'll wait for reviews on it.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 31, 2016, 18:41 Burrito of Peace

All my credit cards switched to chip ~9 months ago. I have used those cards hundreds of times but not once have I ever been asked for a PIN.

My debit card recently received a chip replacement but the only thing I use that for is infrequent cash withdrawals. That, of course, requires a PIN at the ATM.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
50. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 18:06 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 12:54:
Why? Its a really ambitious project in a niche genre.

You and I must have very different definitions for the word "ambitious". This is anything but ambitious. Ambitious is trying something never before done or a radically different take on something pre-existing. This title is neither new nor radical.

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 12:54:
As long as their templates aren't super boring color palette swaps I think they can at least accomplish that.

Every video I have watched of this game shows me that is exactly what this is combined with mix and match parts to create "different" fauna and flora. 50 hojillion worlds that all use the same algorithm isn't anything special either.

This game has received so much unfounded hype that it is the emperor's new clothes of gaming right now. It reminds me of "Number of the Beast" but without any of the interesting or fun parts.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
42. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 09:57 Burrito of Peace

When this game craters, it will be oddly satisfying.  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
142. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 00:16 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 22:03:
I did not see much parity, LINUX WAS STOMPING THE PISS out of Windows 10.

But what if Mr. Torvald puts the penquin in a walled garden.

Linux stomps the piss out of Windows period in system performance. However, that was Vulkan doing the stomping. That is why I am so excited about Vulkan. Cross platform performance with little extra effort required by developers. Hell, the three major engine developers already support Vulkan natively in their pipeline.

Mr. Torvalds is about as tolerant of walled gardens as he is of Nvidia's blob fuckery. This is his general reaction to anything not open source.

123. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 21:35 Burrito of Peace

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 21:18:
There are forks of the Linux kernel that are locked down and millions of people use it everyday such as Android. A lot of what people attribute to Linux is really the GNU software ecosystem. Valve could replace all the userland apps with something more proprietary. Its a lot of work for little reward at at this point, perhaps in the future who knows.

Android isn't really locked down, though, is it? It can be rooted just as ChromeOS can. At that point, you can do anything you want with it.

While I do not disagree that GNU has been a part of Linux, I really wouldn't call userland software like ALSA, Pulse, GTK, Qt, LibreOffice or DEs like Cinnamon, I3, KDE, Gnome, Budgie, and Fluxbox GNU.

I also don't think that Valve has either the talent or chops to roll their own distro. I'm not dissing Valve, it's just not their area of expertise. That's pretty clear with the current state of SteamOS. However, I think they are hedging their bets by being so involved with Vulkan.

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 21:18:
The problems facing SteamOS are the same problems that Linux as a whole faces. Those tend to be driver parity and testing and as well as lack of documentation to build FOSS versions. Linux is just as capable generally as a Windows PC. Similar to Windows ports the performance varies just as wildly based on the quality of the port.

Again, I do not disagree with you here. But it is fair to say that the driver situation has gotten enormously better, especially with AMD. Nvidia is being their usual dickish selves for the most part but they are opening up to Noveau. Even so, a lot of the mainline distros are now coming with driver managers to install the proprietary drivers for you with a click or two. Speaking of driver parity, have you seen this?

121. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 21:03 Burrito of Peace

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 18:28:
What do you think steam machines are? They are locked down PC's...

Steam Machines are nothing more than off the shelf component hardware that run an old version of Ubuntu with the Steam client installed and set to launch in to Big Picture mode.

Because SteamOS is based on Linux, there is no way in Hell that it is "locked down", as that defeats the very principles behind Linux. For fuck's sake, you can have the exact same "experience" of SteamOS on Arch (and its derivatives), Fedora (and its derivatives), Debian, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) and, FSM help me, fucking GENTOO!

There is nothing magical or special about SteamOS, it's just a convenience factor. Nothing more.

Before someone replies "B...b...but they COULD do it!", I'd just like to interject for a moment and tell you that the only way that Valve could even try to lock anything down is by releasing the Steam client as a closed blob. That in itself would be massive waste of time and resources given how much the Steam client on Linux requires dependencies, drivers, and libraries that are FOSS. They would literally have to re-engineer their entire library structure, dependencies, and drivers from scratch because everything they currently use is covered by the GPL. That will never happen because it's a futile effort.

However, let's take stupid pills and pretend they do, in fact, release the Steam client as a monolithic blob. Within a very short time, the community of millions is going to have a libre implementation that reverts the functionality of Steam right back to a FOSS and GPL compliant service. At that point, the only thing Valve can do is play whack-a-mole as it tries to block access from that libre service. They, Valve, couldn't even sue the makers of the libre replacement because Valve already released Steam on a GPL compliant OS and AS a GPL compliant OS. In this situation, you really can't ignore GPL because it is binding. Even Red Hat, which is many orders of magnitude more powerful and wealthy than Valve, doesn't want to fuck with the GPL. They release their source code as required and don't utter a peep.

Now, feel free to get back to waving dicks with little aluminum hats on them at each other about Microsoft and its practices.

18. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:59 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:42:
You gotta wonder though, if GabeN views this as a threat, why not pour your billions into a real DX emulator? Hell, if Wine could do it on a shoestring, imagine what could be done with Steam's money?

Valve is a pretty big contributor to the Vulkan group, both monetarily and code wise. I think they're betting on a more performant API with support from the major engine developers rather than waste time and money on an emulator. WINE is great, don't get me wrong. I play a lot of my older game titles in it that flatout no longer work on Windows, but it is not an acceptable replacement for DirectX in modern computing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 25, 2016, 17:17 Burrito of Peace

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:29:
No Man's Sky is basically a single player game.

Calling it a game is a bit of a stretch.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 21, 2016, 16:40 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 16:23:
So basically, they kept hunting and hunting until they found something to nail these guys with?

Yes, but this was far from the first step. KAT has been hounded from registrar to registrar until they landed in Costa Rica which told the MPAA to go fuck themselves. Since the witch hunters couldn't continue to break their domain linkage, they've resorted to criminal charges.

I'm not going to get in to the whole piracy/theft bullshit debate but I will say that KAT was generally amazing at being able to find things that were obscure or out of print. I hope that they will be able to continue.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 21, 2016, 16:01 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 15:26:
I wonder, did they take down torrent listings when someone posted all the requisite info?

No, they regularly took down torrents with notes at the listing header such as "Removed by request of the copyright holder".

2221 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo