Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2312 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 19, 2016, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

Marketing...marketing never changes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Remedy Teases Something
3. Re: Remedy Teases Something Nov 18, 2016, 08:09 Burrito of Peace

Maybe a new Max Payne that isn't set in Brazil with an old, fat, bald guy as a protagonist?  

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games
4. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games Nov 17, 2016, 12:35 Burrito of Peace

panbient wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 11:41:
TheGenk wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 11:17:
you wouldn't want to picket EA

Want to take a guess as to where the first stop on their protest tour was?

The unemployment line?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 17, 2016, 10:50 Burrito of Peace

I think this is MS finally admitting they lost. Oh, there'll never be a "Year of the Linux Desktop", that ship has sailed. But they lost in the enterprise sector (especially in big data) because, outside of Active Directory, their offerings are much weaker than the competition. It took them, what, twenty years to figure out that sysadmins don't want or need GUIs on their servers? Even then, PowerShell is a complex beast that while powerful certainly needs some fat trimming to make it leaner and more agile. Case in point:

Windows Server PowerShell script for restarting a network adapter:
$adaptor = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "*InsertAdapterHere*"}
$adaptor.Disable()
$adaptor.Enable()

CentOS/RHEL script for restarting networking:
systemctl restart Network-Manager (admittedly this is the hammer method)

You can also simply do:
ifdown-eth
ifup-eth

Also, there's the matter of cost. CentOS is free RHEL, moreso than ever now. If you have a sysop on the payroll whom is worth their salary, you don't really need a support contract.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 15, 2016, 18:15 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 15:48:
Chemical traces on your phone reveal your lifestyle, scientists say.

Like cocaine?

Or the glitter impregnated skin lotion that strippers use.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER for Linux Next Week
1. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER for Linux Next Week Nov 15, 2016, 18:14 Burrito of Peace

Sweet! I'll grab it once released.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 18:13 Burrito of Peace

I absolutely believe that flu shots work as intended, which is to slowly raise the herd immunity for multiple strains of the flu virus over the course of time. Do a tiny fraction of the overall population have a negative reaction to them? Sure, but a tiny fraction of the population still has adverse reactions to aspirin and that's been around for more than 2000 years.

That being said, I don't get flu shots. Invariably, the healthcare system nurses always want to jam them in to my upper arm which causes the arthritis in the shoulder closest to the site to flare up. It's not worth it to me to have a nearly nonfunctional arm for a flu shot. I'll take my chances.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition version 1.2 update. Nov 14, 2016, 22:51 Burrito of Peace

That was available three days ago.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 13, 2016, 20:01 Burrito of Peace

So Skylake-X will eventually become Skylake-E in the Xeon space in, what, 2 years or so? Skylake Xeons were just recently released but a whole new socket (2066? Really?) seems rather silly but Intel IS in the chipset business, too.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
2. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 10, 2016, 19:50 Burrito of Peace

I'd just rather they announced SoaSE II.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Launch Trailer
7. Re: Dishonored 2 Launch Trailer Nov 9, 2016, 15:35 Burrito of Peace

Meh. The first one was so boring I didn't even finish it.

Whatever this is, it certainly isn't Thief and it isn't nearly as good as the first two Thief titles were.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 12:33 Burrito of Peace

I never understood people who spent hours buying a car. It should never take you more than 30 minutes to seal the deal.

In no particular order:

* Research the vehicle's cost with the options you want. There are plenty of resources available online that you can cross-reference. I usually go with median -$500 UNLESS I find a screaming deal at a particular dealership.
* Know, down to the penny, how much you want to pay for the vehicle and stick to it. Do not waver.
* Be ready to walk if you feel someone is wasting your time: "I need to go check with my sales manager." "You have exactly the amount of time it takes for me to walk to my current car and drive home."
* Do not fall in to the "four square" trap. The is easily identifiable by the words "How much do you want to pay per month?" I always flatly reply "That is irrelevant, we're negotiating on the total price of the vehicle."
* After the above, super shitty and sleazy salespukes will say "Is this cash or finance?" Just repeat the last answer. If they say how you plan to pay for the vehicle changes the price...walk and walk fast. You're being setup to be fucked.
* Setup your financing, if needed, beforehand. You will almost always get a better deal than what a dealership will offer UNLESS you have the credit to take advantage of 0% financing.
* Avoid extended warranties, they're nearly universally bullshit. One, they're not usually through the vehicle manufacturer and, two, they're probably only honored at places that are either shady as fuck or way the Hell and gone. Salespukes will try to say "But the cost of replacing your transmission is X dollars! You'll be saving thousands!" I generally reply "If your transmission can't last at least 250,000 miles with only regular service intervals, I need to go buy from a different manufacturer." Replace answer with whatever other part they claim will be expensive to fix.
* You are not there to make friends. Don't be afraid to be firm and, if necessary, a little bit of an asshole. You're there to buy a car for as little money as possible. Salespukes make commission either way, so fuck 'em if they get their jimmies rustled.
* Test drive your vehicle of choice and then go home. Wait a couple of days to make sure that you actually want the car and aren't just in the throes of lust and "gotta have". Unless you're buying something like a GT500 or Corvette ZR1 or any other low volume specialty car, there's a really good chance it'll be there when you go back.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 6, 2016, 22:19 Burrito of Peace

Fuck CoD and its wankery bullshit.

Better news...SKYRIM IS BACK IN THE TOP 10! A 4 year old game!

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 16:45 Burrito of Peace

Retired wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 16:16:
V8 (Though I am slowly coming around to both of Ford's EcoBoost V6s)

The Ecoboost isn't as good as people tout it to be. It isn't all that fast and the gas mileage SUCKS! I am averaging 16 mpg.

(I own a 2013 Ford F150 Limited with Eco)

I'm coming around due to my parents' trucks. Mom has a '16 with the 2.7 and Dad has a '17 with the 3.5. Mom averages about 19 but that's just short runs from where they live to the closest town. Dad drives about 140 miles round trip daily commute and he's getting 21. His 3.5 out drags the 5.0 in my truck, that's for sure.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 15:26 Burrito of Peace

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 14:19:
Since we're talking about cars:

What's your criteria for car shopping? What's important to you?

Depends on the vehicle for me.

For Cars
* Fast
* Sexy
* Reliable
* V8
* PCM that is user accessible and able to be interfaced with
* 2 door
* Parts availability (Speed parts, mostly)

For Trucks
* V8 (Though I am slowly coming around to both of Ford's EcoBoost V6s)
* Standard sized bed (no shorty bed urban garage queens)
* Reliable
* Durable
* Comfortable
* Good towing capacity
* Ford**

**I tend to stick with Fords because I've always received excellent service from them. The 550 was a monster that didn't care what you attached to the ball or fifth wheel hitches, it just pulled like a mule all day and night. Only problem I ever had was one of the turbos blowing apart but that was actually a Garrett problem, not a Ford problem. All of my F150s have been bulletproof and have seen in excess of fairly hard 250K miles without issues. My current one is a '10 that has been used to haul several different trailers, has had rock, wood, dirt, hay, sand, and a ton of other stuff dumped in the bed, we use it to go bush camping regularly, I drive it daily to commute for work,and we often take it on long trips because she's just so damn comfortable. My previous was a '97 that was hammered on as a ranch truck and the only reason I sold it was because a friend needed a long bed truck in a hurry. Then there's the Lightning which, while technically still an F150, is a world unto herself. What's not to love about a 500+hp sport truck?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 15:13 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 13:44:
I don't know why people always go on about Lucas electrics.

Because they made an objectively terrible product. Your experience is the exception, not the rule. When I had my S2 E-Type, I was constantly chasing down shorts in it. Once I ripped all the Lucas crap out and replaced it, I never had another problem. My dad had a very similar experience with his Spitfire. Lucas is universally known for making shitty electrical components.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 11:56 Burrito of Peace

Now's the perfect time to buy that E-Type that you never knew you always wanted.

(Just make sure to swap out the Lucas electrics for something more reliable and those godawful SUs for Weber DCOEs)

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
2. Re: Take-Two Financials Nov 3, 2016, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

I don't think Mafia III is going to be a long legged source of income for them. I love the Mafia series but this one seemed to be missing the soul of the series. I don't mind that they changed the location or that they went with a non-Italian main character, but I do mind that the there were too many scut missions you had to undertake even as you played the alleged boss.  

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Nov 2, 2016, 11:51 Burrito of Peace

Blue wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 08:14:
NKD wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 06:52:
If stainless steel is good enough for snobby elitist restaurants, its good enough for my shitty steaks.

I don't think you're going to find many steaks cooked on stainless steel in those snobby elitist restaurants.

As for cast iron vs stainless in general, to mimic the style of as seen on TV commercials:

"The secret is in the superior heat retention!"

And because of this, you can use a lower temperature (or in my case less wood or charcoal) for longer periods of time for a better dish.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 1, 2016, 22:38 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 21:59:
Stainless steel does everything cast iron does...

Except make a pone of cornbread or johnny cake worth a shit.

Maybe you do 100% of your cooking in a kitchen aping everything a "chef" does. I don't. Stainless steel will never replace cast iron for open fire cooking. You don't get the same flavor and you never will, no matter how much you season whatever is in your stainless steel dreck.

2312 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo