Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2610 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Previews
5. Re: Sunday Previews Nov 20, 2017, 09:35 Burrito of Peace

This just became a day one purchase...on GOG.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension
21. Re: ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension Nov 19, 2017, 05:43 Burrito of Peace

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 21:00:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 18:29:
dubfanatic wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 17:43:
hahahah rethugliKKKans are stupid!

Well, let's see:

They fronted Trump
They're defending Moore
They've fucked anyone NOT in the 1% with their tax plan
They desperately tried to fuck over people who need health insurance
They're doing their damnedest to kill net neutrality
They're gutting the EPA
They've gone specifically out of their way to deny actual, data driven science so they can appoint their political cronie buddies

...and the list goes on.

So, yeah, they are pretty fucking stupid.

Hillary Clinton will NEVER be president of the United States.

/thread

The sky is blue, water is wet, and the wind blows. So? What's your point? Do you have one outside of threadbare Fox Newsesque "quips"?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2017, 18:46 Burrito of Peace

Sounds like he was Thunderstruck. Hopefully he's not hearing Hell's Bells. Maybe his last day was spent Giving the Dog a Bone. He sure did have a great ride on the Highway to Hell though.  

News Comments > ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension
13. Re: ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension Nov 18, 2017, 18:29 Burrito of Peace

dubfanatic wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 17:43:
hahahah rethugliKKKans are stupid!

Well, let's see:

They fronted Trump
They're defending Moore
They've fucked anyone NOT in the 1% with their tax plan
They desperately tried to fuck over people who need health insurance
They're doing their damnedest to kill net neutrality
They're gutting the EPA
They've gone specifically out of their way to deny actual, data driven science so they can appoint their political cronie buddies

...and the list goes on.

So, yeah, they are pretty fucking stupid.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins - Fleet Battles Beta
1. Re: Star Control: Origins - Fleet Battles Beta Nov 16, 2017, 22:21 Burrito of Peace

That...looks like total ass.  

News Comments > Deep Sky Derelicts Early Access
2. Re: Deep Sky Derelicts Early Access Nov 15, 2017, 19:21 Burrito of Peace

"roguelike"...DRINK!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Linux totally dominates supercomputers. Nov 15, 2017, 10:11 Burrito of Peace

Well...no shit. Linux's modular design makes it a no-brainer for custom OS deployments for limited, hyperscale tasks. In general, Linux is a better server OS because, outside of Active Directory (and even there Samba Directory Services are making inroads), Windows Server sucks shit.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 10:03 Burrito of Peace

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:25:
Upgrading mobo/cpu/ram seems less and less appealing with these prices. My i5-2600k OC to 4.3 is still chugging along just fine.
I'll probably get a new video card next year though the 970 is showing it's age in some games.
Not planning to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet. I think we still have a bit of time before games catch up to that resolution in terms of optimization.

I am upgrading in February (maybe, depending on if any information about Ryzen 2 is forthcoming) solely because I want more cores at a non-Intel-anally-rapes-you price. I',m just flatout running out of cores for heavy VM use with my Xeon. It was a solid system five years ago but it is starting to show its age.

The 970 I have in it is also struggling a bit now, too. I noticed this when playing AC:O and even Stellaris in large battles is starting to chug at 1080p. I don't want to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti if Volta is soon to be released either. Like Beamer, I bought the 970 two years ago at the end of its life cycle (but paid less than he did) thinking it would last three years.

As an aside, does anybody have any recommendations for a good VGA manufacturer? I bought EVGA for my 970 as I had always had a good experience with them prior to the 970 but I had to fix the mounting on the thermal solution as it was way the hell off base. I would prefer not to go through that again. I had an MSI 480 once a long time ago and that was a pretty solid card. Are they still a solid brand?

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 09:55 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 08:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 07:59:
Prices are going up but the days of needing to be on the bleeding edge every year is all but gone except in niche cases. A well built system will now easily last you five years. Amortize the cost over five years, and that system will cost less overall than the money most people spend on eating out over the course of those five years.

Or, if you live in NYC, it costs less overall than eating out does in a month.
I'm not kidding. I haven't counted, but I'm spending at least a grand a month here to eat each month.

Dude, do you not have a kitchen in your place?

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana
7. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 09:52 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 02:06:
I didn't get around to Primal but I don't think I missed much. I'm in for the story for the most part and from what I've seen and gathered, there isn't much of one in Primal and the mechanics are mostly FC4.5.

=-Rigs-=

I may be the odd man out, but I liked Primal far, far more than I did FC4 which I felt was just stupid and cartoonish. It could also be that I really dig ancient history so the setting was right up my alley. In my opinion, it felt like a more pure storyline. No crazy bullshit other than the shamanistic overtones which are pretty believable in ancient cultures that far back.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 07:59 Burrito of Peace

Prices are going up but the days of needing to be on the bleeding edge every year is all but gone except in niche cases. A well built system will now easily last you five years. Amortize the cost over five years, and that system will cost less overall than the money most people spend on eating out over the course of those five years.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2017, 07:54 Burrito of Peace

I wish Mozilla had ditched Yahoo and Google and made DuckDuckGo their default. In as much as Mozilla has been going to some lengths to tout their privacy efforts in Firefox, it seems like that would have been a smarter way to go in that vein.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 15, 2017, 07:52 Burrito of Peace

I have to say that I feel pretty satisfied with the DLC for Stellaris so far with the exception of the Planetoid pack which was purely cosmetic. Everything else has had content that in some way add more interesting aspects to the game.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 14:56 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:11:
The 2011 (re)remake isn't bad per se but the introduction of a female character ruins a lot of the alpha male tension and paranoia which made Carpenters so excellent. It's serviceable but not really good.

It's a prequel, not a remake. It's what happened before the opening of the original where the Norwegians are shooting at the dog.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

A "killer" VR app would be something along the lines of the openness of Skyrim or Fallout with the depth content of The Witcher series. Every VR demo I have tried is limited in scope.  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released
1. Re: The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released Nov 10, 2017, 18:56 Burrito of Peace

Cats and dogs, living together...mass hysteria!  

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Peels Out
8. Re: Need for Speed Payback Peels Out Nov 10, 2017, 17:11 Burrito of Peace

SlimRam wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 16:24:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 14:05:
Midnight Club: LA was made what year and ran on shitty xbox 360 hardware, mops the floor with this game.
Heh, LOVED Midnight Club LA!! That game made you feel like you were going waaaaay too damn fast It was SO GODDAMN unforgiving but I played the hell out of that game!

Another vote for MC:LA being one of the greatest racers ever. Drifting around corners in that game just felt...right. Still fire up the old 360 to play it now and again.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 07:08 Burrito of Peace

When I was a kid, I loved Star Wars. As an adult, the only one that I find watchable is The Empire Strikes Back and that is largely due to the efforts of Irvin Kershner. It is by far heads and shoulders above everything else in that series.

I think what Disney fails to realize is that what made the original trilogy so popular at its initial release has become commonplace on TV today. Epic sci fi, awesome special effects, and overarching story arcs that don't have to be resolved in 30 minutes or less can now be found outside the efforts of a movie studio. The Expanse immediately springs to my mind and I find that to be a superior product to anything Star Wars has done in the last 30 years.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

So the Intel news is a bit interesting. Intel is also competing heavily against Nvidia right now in several different market spaces. What Intel has that AMD does not is both money and R&D resources to take Nvidia on in both the enterprise sector and consumer sector.

If they, Intel, were to reach parity with Nvidia in the consumer graphics card arena (and I grant that is a big ask), I would probably switch. I am a Linux user and Intel is phenomenal in their support of Linux in terms of drivers and development. Intel also has its own performance oriented Linux distro called Clear, for those that do not know. Moreover, Intel owns a fairly decent sized chunk of Red Hat.

It'll be interesting to see in the next 2-5 years.

News Comments > GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics
6. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

Snagged all three, loved them back in the day. Especially Rise of the Dragon.  

2610 Comments. 131 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo