Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2953 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 12:23:
Chatbear is the software these forums run on, if I'm not mistaken. And yes, it's highly possible that Blues is the only website left in the world that uses it.

Frans' skill set might be more rare than COBOL programmers.

Ah. Cool. Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, Blue might want to bribe Frans with a double beer offering given all that he does around here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 11:53 Burrito of Peace

I am very tired so excuse this seemingly random question. However, what the Hell is chatbear? The link on the bottom of the page is dead and the website for the company is gone. Moreover, the chatbear Twitter account hasn't posted anything in six and a half years. My DDG searches have brought up mostly links to sites catering to older, hairy, gay men so I'm pretty confident that's not it...

Did BN used to have an old school style chat feature?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2018, 23:28 Burrito of Peace

Civil War 2: Political Tribe Boogaloo cannot come fast enough.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 16:45 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 15:50:
For my clients that have zero technical acumen I recommend backblaze.
Backblaze is not for everyone and you definitely need to understand and read the fine print of any off-site backup.

Agreed. Though I'm a bit too paranoid to trust my data on someone else's systems. I think most people, meaning private, average individuals, could get away with a Nextcloud install as most people really only care about photos and documents.

dubfanatic wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 16:07:
Backing up to a remote server that you control is good. Backing up to a "cloud service" with an opaque EULA, where who knows what is happening to your data is not. Just ask the researchers who got their Google Docs papers locked due to false positives of their "harmful content" scanning. No way in hell am I trusting any cloud provider. I'll set up my own storage VPS with automatic security updates. It takes a little effort but at least I don't have to worry about some algorithm going haywire and locking me out of my own documents and then being treated like a criminal when I contact support (if they have any)

That's a good option but I, personally, wouldn't trust most VPS providers as far as I could throw their rack. Most of them come across as shady as Hell and you have zero insight in to their patching and security policies. Their hypervisor machines or networks could have holes big enough to float a carrier through. You could use a well-known provider like AWS and be mostly sure.

My point in my response to CJ is that it is stupid to not implement an offsite backup because of the belief that any and all remote machines are an invalid option.

My "remote machine" is an older Dell R710 stuffed with 4TB drives and an H700 on the latest firmware that is colocated. The array is encrypted. For a simple, secure, offsite backup location, the server is more than sufficient. Combine that with transmitting the backup data through an encrypted tunnel and I have what I consider a reasonably secure offsite backup location.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 15:29 Burrito of Peace

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 14:57:
Honestly, anyone who backs up personal files to a remote computer is not quite right in the head IMHO.

Then I must very obviously not be "quite right in the head" because I backup personal files to a remote machine daily and hourly, depending upon the file location.

It's called an "offsite backup" and is a required part of any robust backup solution. Backing up locally is all fine and well until you have a natural disaster, say flooding from a hurricane or the largest wildfire in US history, that destroys your location and all infrastructure.

News Comments > Limit Theory Cancelled
13. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 12:25 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 12:06:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 11:50:
I respect his attempt at this endeavor. I accept that he has personal demons that have prevented him from accomplishing all that he wished. I respect his decision to admit that he can't finish this and explain why.

In the end, who didn't see this as the inevitable, logical outcome?

Next up: Star Citizen

I can't say I disagree with this. Even though I backed the game, for whatever the lowest tier was that gave me access to the game, I'm reasonably sure that I'll never see Squadron 42 in the way that it was originally pitched. I don't give a single damn about multiplayer because other people are just wasted code and that's all SC seems to be focusing on along with some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen like fishbowls and towels.

News Comments > Limit Theory Cancelled
9. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 11:50 Burrito of Peace

I respect his attempt at this endeavor. I accept that he has personal demons that have prevented him from accomplishing all that he wished. I respect his decision to admit that he can't finish this and explain why.

In the end, who didn't see this as the inevitable, logical outcome?

News Comments > Alaskan Truck Simulator Announced
2. Re: Alaskan Truck Simulator Announced Oct 3, 2018, 21:48 Burrito of Peace

That trailer just screams shovelware.  

News Comments > Xenon Racer Announced
3. Re: Xenon Racer Announced Oct 3, 2018, 12:29 Burrito of Peace

Is Lance Boyle going to make an appearance?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2018, 17:03 Burrito of Peace

From The Ric Romero Institute of Journalism: "People are useless assholes. Film at 11!"  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 12:31 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 11:17:
The great USofA is no different. but whatevs.

The only significant difference, and I think it is an important one, is that I cannot be forced to give up a PIN in the States. It is legally protected. In NZ, the law states that you are required to give it up.

In the story you linked, the individual in question voluntarily gave up his access key (in this case, a "passcode" as the article calls it). He was not obligated by statute to do so. The fact that he folded under pressure and did so is irrelevant.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Travellers refusing digital search now face $5000 New Zealand Customs fine. Oct 2, 2018, 11:13 Burrito of Peace

New Zealand just lost its spot on my places to vacation list. Shame, too, because it's rather pretty.

"B...b...but if you aren't doing anything wrooooooong!"

Shove that statement up your ass and go die in a fire. The article specifically states they don't even have to tell you what the suspicion is. Just "hand over your device or pay a fine, fucker."

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 06:30 Burrito of Peace

In Android parlance, a ROM and the OS are one in the same as RedEye's link points out.

I have a Note 8.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2018, 22:02 Burrito of Peace

I have my phone encrypted and PIN locked with a non-standard length PIN. After three attempts, it wipes itself. Custom ROMs FTW!

News Comments > X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month
6. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 1, 2018, 21:56 Burrito of Peace

Aaaaand...I preordered the Collector's Edition. Yes, Rebirth sucked. However, the tens of thousands of hours of gameplay I got out of X2, X3, X:AP, and X:TC lend a little bit of faith.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 14:50 Burrito of Peace

And this is why I watch IMSA racing. A modicum of sensible rules and then back off to let the drivers race.  

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
6. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 17:40 Burrito of Peace

<Laughs in A:CM>  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2018, 11:10 Burrito of Peace

Star Wars: I actually liked Solo while I really didn't like the last two Jedi focused movies. The less said about Rogue One, the better. I cheered when everyone died at the end.

F-35: I am still somewhat surprised that the Navy went with a single engine jet. It was long standing doctrine that all Naval combat aircraft had two engines so an aviator could return to the deck if one flamed out. Granted, the golden age of air combat is quite possibly behind us given the advances in missile technology and automated weapons systems.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2018, 17:48 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 17:38:
fawker wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 17:24:
Tomorrow is National Coffee Day, Blue.
Everyday is coffee day.

Every day is tea day. FTFY.

News Comments > Gone Gold - HITMAN 2
8. Re: Gone Gold - HITMAN 2 Sep 28, 2018, 17:47 Burrito of Peace

DangerDog wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 16:43:
Blue is getting all Web 2.0 with in line images

And now it's center justified instead of left. I mean, not that it doesn't take up a bunch of screen real estate.

2953 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo