Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 3719 (Veteran)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia?
25. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 16:48 Burrito of Peace

" I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it's hard to find a CD player these days

The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files…"

This may be true for fucking morons who don't have two brain cells to rub together.

My legally purchased music? Ripped either from CDs in FLAC or bought as direct downloads and stored on my media server then backed up to both an on-site and off-site location. Movies, files, and pictures? Those are rounded up as part of an encrypted backup that goes to both an on-site and off-site location.

Sorry, the "cloud" is bullshit and is absolutely untrustworthy. Only a broke dick mouthpiece from Google would believe otherwise.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS
38. Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Next Month on EGS Jul 19, 2019, 08:48 Burrito of Peace

Meh. I'll buy it on EGS because I want to play the game. I have been following its development for a long time and am quite encouraged by what I have seen thus far.

They're all just launchers to me anyway. They all only need to do one thing in my book: launch my goddamned game. Are they successful in that? Good, great, happy Ramadan!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2019, 19:45 Burrito of Peace

I am willing to bet they license Samsung's 7nm process as I would imagine AMD has TSMC's buttoned up.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 17, 2019, 08:47 Burrito of Peace

I'm lukewarm about this at best. I am not sure Cavil can pull off Geralt. We'll see, I guess.  

News Comments > LOST ORBIT: Terminal Velocity Launched
2. Re: LOST ORBIT: Terminal Velocity Launched Jul 16, 2019, 17:09 Burrito of Peace

This was not the Terminal Velocity I was hoping for.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Responds to Watch Dogs: Legion/HITRECORD Criticism
6. Re: Ubisoft Responds to Watch Dogs: Legion/HITRECORD Criticism Jul 16, 2019, 15:35 Burrito of Peace

Did I miss the part where this is compulsory?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2019, 12:53 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 10:36:
You just sold me on a $200 x570 board...

So you're going with the system we specced out weeks ago? Good to know.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2019, 08:36 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 21:14:
Now that AMD is competitive again I fear that x570 and the AM4 chipset will be a thing of the past in 5 to 7 years. Tech advances rapidly when there's competition.

That is probably true but my "future upgrades" are only bigger SSDs as the price per gigabyte comes down and GPUs. Once I have the motherboard and CPU, that stays static throughout the service life of the system. For example, my current system is a 1151 socket. Those haven't been produced in how long?

So, in that sense, my upgrade path for the future will be a PCIe 4.0 GPU (which I imagine we'll see with the next new architecture from AMD, Nvidia, and possibly Intel). My system will be ready for that.

Also, it may be that future M2 SSDs will benefit from the greater bandwidth that PCIe 4.0 offers as well.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 19:15 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 17:22:
I fucking saw that and was hoping you'd call in sick today especially since you have that nasty cough.
After watching the gn video yesterday it's max x470 and 3700x for me just like I've been preaching all along.

<Takes a victory lap>

I won't be going with an x470 because I think it limits future upgrade potential in 5 to 7 years. However, you probably have a shorter service life than I for your machines.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 15, 2019, 16:36 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 13:08:
If they'd donate 1/3 of what they spent on micro$loth contracts to the openoffice foundation it would make the world a better place.

LibreOffice would be a better fit as it has much better compatibility with MS' suite.

Hell, they could become a partner with the Linux Foundation and help the entire ecosystem.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 16:02 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:37:
Are you fooling me, I'd sooner be rickrolled. Sad Face

nvrmnd found it
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-review,6226.html

<coughs>I like how they pointed out multiple times that the 3700X was the better value and roughly matched the performance of the 3800X for $70 less.<coughs>

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 15:56 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 14:15:
ps are 3900x available at msrp in your neck of the internet/woods. or are they too power hungry for your needs
I'd think w/the vms need it'd be damn the torpedoes full speed ahead mode.

Too power hungry and heat generating. My system is mostly used with development VMs and I prefer a cool and quiet system.

For production VMs, I have a cluster of four Dell R720s.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 14:11 Burrito of Peace

After some discussion with Mrs. Burrito this morning, I was told unequivocally to go buy my new system. Unfortunately, I cannot find a 3700X in stock or not ridiculously priced (i.e. a hundred dollars or more over MSRP).

So, I guess I'll be waiting anyway until stock rematerializes. While the 3600 is available, I want the 3700X for those two extra cores because, as Verno mentioned, VMs.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Best Motherboards for Ryzen 3000 CPUs- X570 vs. X470 & B450. Jul 14, 2019, 17:40 Burrito of Peace

Jesus fucking Christ, who has 30 minutes to waste watching GN (whom I normally like) drivel on?

Just post a fucking article with quick breakdown charts covering the features.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Burrito Of Piece Jul 14, 2019, 07:38 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 18:14:
@BoP
I've been hearing nasty rumors that some motherboards can do cpu-less bios flashing.
Also referred to as USB BIOS Flashback port.

damnit when do i get my 3700 vs 3800x benchmarks, the e-peen is straining my button fly genes.

Some can, yes, although in practice it isn't a sure thing. You'll obviously have to look at the particular model you are interested to see if it is supported and that it supports output via a dGPU instead of an iGPU.

Sad to say, you are going to have to wait a bit longer. It looks like the end of August is when I am going to be able to acquire a 3700x.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 12, 2019, 20:09 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 18:16:
one link deeper on Microsoft's bs

If only there was an OS that respected both your liberty and your privacy. Oh, if only.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2019, 09:07 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 22:58:
Which has me leaning towards the less expensive x470 instead of the x570, that is of course if BoP won't tease me to the point of tears.

<Hears the dog whistle, comes a'runnin'>

Jokes aside, I wouldn't go that route but I tend to have longer service lives for my machines than apparently most people. My target is 5-7 years for the MB, RAM, and CPU. GPUs and drives get swapped out as necessary or as desired. That being the case, I will be going with an x570 chipset based motherboard. Probably the ASRock Extreme4 because I get everything the Taichi offers minus the built in WLAN which I do not need. This allows me to upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 GPU and possibly m2 SSDs in the future without worrying about sacrificing bus bandwidth.

My concern with the getting an x470 based board now, barring the lack of breathing room for future expansion and upgrades, is getting a board that will not boot because the AEGES on it is too old to support the 3000 series. Yes, I can fix it with an AEGES update but I have to get to the point where I can get it to POST to do the update in the first place. As I do not have access to a 2000 series CPU, and no one I know has one, I don't want to be put in that position.

News Comments > Godhood Early Access
6. Re: Godhood Early Access Jul 10, 2019, 19:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 19:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 17:59:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 17:29:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 11:16:
Can I be L-Ron?

I am going to play as David Koresh

I call dibs on Joseph Smith.

Fuck it. Tammy Faye Bakker or bust, with Jim Jones and Marshall Herff Applewhite Jr. as alternates.

At least no one is calling dibs on Warren Jeffs.

News Comments > Godhood Early Access
3. Re: Godhood Early Access Jul 10, 2019, 17:59 Burrito of Peace

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 17:29:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 11:16:
Can I be L-Ron?

I am going to play as David Koresh

I call dibs on Joseph Smith.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2019, 22:54 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 19:11:
BoPity BoP
Is this ze fix for linux fedora and the 5700's?

No, that requires a microcode/firmware support update, which is kept separate from the kernel itself, and/or a AEGES mb update. Morever, while there is a strong theory of why it is happening (RdRand which creates entropy on the hardware side for a variety of service IDs) there has been no concrete "this is the cause" statement from AMD as yet. However, there is already a patch available but you'll need to merge it in to your kernel yourself.

Seems to be the most likely fix candidate will be an AEGES update from AMD for the motherboard and the problem will be resolved.

Might see it by the end of the week or maybe next week but that's speculation on my part.

Edit: You said the 5700 which is a GPU and my very tired brain saw it as 3700. I don't know what is up with the 5700 as I haven't been following it closely today.

3719 Comments. 186 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo