Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2895 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 21:01 Burrito of Peace

Just smoke a well packed bowl and be done with it. Wake up the next day feeling loose and well rested.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
1. The Teens Who Hacked Microsoft's Xbox Empire—And Went Too Far. Apr 17, 2018, 19:12 Burrito of Peace

That was a very interesting and fascinating read.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Xbox One Adds 8 New Original Xbox Backwards Compatible Games Today. Apr 17, 2018, 18:40 Burrito of Peace

Where the fuck is MechAssault?!  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 14:39 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:26:
Google: "Define language"

the system of communication used by a particular community or country.

Counterpoint: Moisture Evaporators (whether they're on the southern ridge or elsewhere) don't have either a community or a country. Neither do binary lifters. Yet C3-PO can still communicate with them.

I would argue that kxmode is correct. Language, beyond being just a means to convey abstract ideas in to reasonably understood practical symbols, also serves as a data channel for flavor, color, and aphorisms that tell you about the culture which uses it.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
13. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 19:19 Burrito of Peace

I'll be honest: I liked WD2. I hated WD1 because the protagonist was such an unlikable, whiny dick. Although I am, as the kids say, old AF, I can see where the crew from WD2 fit and how they came together in a city that has an active maker scene and set in current times. Hell, they remind me of the students I mentor after a fashion.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2018, 14:19 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 13:11:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:20:
snp
It's ok, Der Stürmer and Spencer are welcome on Fox News.

Indeed. In fact, they're pretty open about it.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2018, 12:34 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:26:
Takes a special kind of person...

What that special kind of person probably looks like.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2018, 16:24 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 09:52:
Laser surgery is not appropriate for several invasive procedures. Especially something like compartment syndrome that needs non cauterized cuts for drainage (or cutting around organs, arteries, tendons, veins, nerves and bones). They could have just whipped out a magic cast or a Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy whirring wand and fixed up Mamma's leg better than new.

I will watch a couple more episodes before i pass full judgement but right now it's already 114% better than, shudder, 'The Orville'.

I didn't mean to imply that lasers were the perfect fit for everything, I was just using it as an example of where we are today in terms of medical science versus what the show presents as being present in the future. Nanobots would have been a better futuristic medical tool to fix the problem with the leg.

Secret Sauce:
I was actually kind of annoyed at the "Danger Will Robinson" line because there hadn't been enough development yet to show a bond between Will and the robot. It felt rushed and shoe-horned in instead of being a natural evolution between Will and the robot.

I, too, will watch a couple more episodes because I recognize that it takes a while for a show to get off the ground. These were just glaring missteps that irked me.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 23:38 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 18:30:
Anyone catch Lost in Space yet? Forgot they released it yesterday.

Caught the first episode last night. I was underwhelmed. None of the family members really click and "Dysfunctional family...BUT IN SPAAAAAACE" is a stupid idea. I understand the writers' goal is to have a story arc where they come together as a united front, learn respect and teamwork, overcome hardships blah blah blah blah but that shit has been done to fucking death already. And, while I know it's fiction, a lot of the basic science is laughably bad. Case in point: "Let's use a few grams of unprocessed, impure magnesium and melt a 6" deep hole in the ice to save Generic Family Kid #2 AND WE'LL TOTALLY NOT CAUSE ANY SORT OF BURNS WHATSOEVER!"

With a show like The Expanse just killing it in terms of a great story and fairly decent and accurate representation of science, there's just no excuse for it. Other things don't make a lot of sense either. We can travel to some random yet far point in the galaxy but we're still using laptops, barcodes as access passes, stainless steel surgical tools (even though we're doing surgery with lasers today), and wrist attached cell phones. Oh, yeah, and apparently quartermasters and their skills have gone fucking extinct in the future because securing a box against hard shock and vibe (you know, the stuff we do TODAY) is just flat out not possible.

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
36. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 14, 2018, 17:44 Burrito of Peace

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 15:59:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 10:58:
The fact they didn't include factory coolers from the git go is beyond stupid.
Actually, I think Intel's decision to go with thermal interface pad material on $1000 enthusiast CPU's (what do they call them now, HED or something?), rather than spending 5 cents on thermal grease, is what's beyond stupid. Why the frack should anyone have to relid a CPU?

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 19:12:
Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 17:38:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby.

It's a Xeon E5-2690 v2 with 128GB of DDR3. It was specifically built so that I can use it to fully emulate stacked clusters before I rolled them out in to production. I also happen to game on it.
I knew it was going to be ram. 90% of time the limiting factor for VM's is ram

14gb vs 128gb

It also doesn't hurt that it's a decacore with 20 threads at 3.6Ghz, either.

31. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 19:12 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 17:38:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

It's a Xeon E5-2690 v2 with 128GB of DDR3. It was specifically built so that I can use it to fully emulate stacked clusters before I rolled them out in to production. I also happen to game on it.

23. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 16:46 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:37:
So, you running integrated graphics or what? Why no GPU noise?

I would surmise effective thermal management. My "old" machine with a 970 in it is also whisper quiet under most cases when gaming and it is sitting in a rack right next to me. Granted, I am not using a "PC" case per se. I'm using a 4U rackmount chassis with three fans in front, three fans midplane, and four fans at the rear which provide excellent axial flow. However, PC cases have come a long, long way since the old Antec pedestal chassis and desktop pizza boxes in terms of effectively moving cold air in and hot air out. Even when I have 10 VMs running and working, the stock cooler doesn't spin up to even the middle of its RPM range.

6. This is the new Gmail design. Apr 12, 2018, 12:37 Burrito of Peace

So it's basically a near clone of Thunderbird's UI. Got it.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
4. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 11:55 Burrito of Peace

Does the deposed Queen have a Filipino Palace?  

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:26 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:40:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 12:13:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:21:
WaltC wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:10:
CNN calling out Facebook for hosting a fake page is pot calling kettle black...;) Unlike CNN's deliberate, calculated fake news, FB simply hosted the page. It is true, however, that FB made no effort to verify the page as legit, even though it was a FB page seeking donations. Not surprising as FB never questions much of anything tied to "liberal" political causes, fake or otherwise.

Everyone, it's ok. WaltC made is obligatory single political post in a topic, spewing out talking points he will never, ever source. He won't cite a single thing to prove his claim, which in this case should be easy, as if CNN has so much "fake news" it would only take him a moment to post a few examples.

And he won't be back. He fires and forgets. Sometimes, I'm under the impression his doctors only allow him a few moments of internet time per day before putting him back in the padded room, so there's no way he can reply.

In fairness, he's not the only one to make super conservative claims then never come back when asked to cite them, he's just the most consistent.

WaltC sources his information from the only organization he trusts...Al Jazeera.

Did you ever watch Al Jazeera?

I did and do, along with the BBC, and as many other world news outlets that are not US based that also have an English speaking or reading version. I do not disagree with anything you said. I made the comment about Al Jazeera because WaltC is very likely to be the kind of person who thinks that Fox News really is "fair and balanced". To the point where any international news agency would be wrong or flat out lying because they're "furrin'".

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:21:
WaltC wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:10:
CNN calling out Facebook for hosting a fake page is pot calling kettle black...;) Unlike CNN's deliberate, calculated fake news, FB simply hosted the page. It is true, however, that FB made no effort to verify the page as legit, even though it was a FB page seeking donations. Not surprising as FB never questions much of anything tied to "liberal" political causes, fake or otherwise.

Everyone, it's ok. WaltC made is obligatory single political post in a topic, spewing out talking points he will never, ever source. He won't cite a single thing to prove his claim, which in this case should be easy, as if CNN has so much "fake news" it would only take him a moment to post a few examples.

And he won't be back. He fires and forgets. Sometimes, I'm under the impression his doctors only allow him a few moments of internet time per day before putting him back in the padded room, so there's no way he can reply.

In fairness, he's not the only one to make super conservative claims then never come back when asked to cite them, he's just the most consistent.

WaltC sources his information from the only organization he trusts...Al Jazeera.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Apr 8, 2018, 18:46 Burrito of Peace

Dungeon Master.

A friend and I spent all summer long playing that game when it came out to beat it only three days before we had to go back.

The ending was, to put it succinctly, "Thanks for the staff. Now you're dead." Cue fade to black.

There lies still the bitter embers of enraged hatred for that ending, some 30+ years later.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Facebook urged to block Nazi relic sales. Apr 6, 2018, 23:28 Burrito of Peace

As someone who loves history, I have a problem with this and a big problem because you're trying to force today's morality and viewpoints on artifacts that are representative of their times. Note, I am not condoning the behavior and practices of the Nazis. However, if you ban Nazi relics because of what the Nazis did, are we going to start banning the sale of relics from the Romans, Mongols, Crusades, and many other cultures and points in history as well?* Because they all committed genocide on a mass scale. This handwringing, pearl clutching, and hypersensitivity at the events of history has to stop.

*It's not like you're going to see those relics show up for sale on Facebook but the point still stands.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 6, 2018, 23:22 Burrito of Peace

Double post.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 6, 2018, 23:21 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 22:17:
I wish more people would invest the time needed to just "dig" into the hardware...

I wish more manufacturers would stop epoxying everything in a monolithic block that makes hardware modding impossible for the normal, DIY tinkerer.

But we live in a society of disposable technology so it is what it is.

2895 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo