Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On July 8, 2004
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 4163 (Master)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

18. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 13:02  Burrito of Peace 

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:39:
Out of curiosity, how long does everyone here tend to keep their PC?

PCs = 5-7 years
Servers = 4-5 years

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:37  Burrito of Peace 

Nuke and pave!  

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

74. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 17:21  Burrito of Peace 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 15:34:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:06:
If only the people blathering about "anti-competitive practices" were as passionate and ardent about digital privacy and personal digital security both commented and acted as ferociously as the complain.

As long as the DRM (or whatever form of copyright protection is in place) doesn't get in the way of playing the game, people don't care. But they care when they are forced to buy on an objectively inferior platform.

My post had nothing to do with DRM. DRM is only bothersome for idiots.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

43. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 14:06  Burrito of Peace 

If only the people blathering about "anti-competitive practices" were as passionate and ardent about digital privacy and personal digital security both commented and acted as ferociously as the complain.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 12:43  Burrito of Peace 

I watched "Joker" over the weekend for the first time and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I actually found it to be quite enjoyable.

The Lighthouse is in my queue to watch as I really like slow burn horror movies.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 14, 2020, 11:37  Burrito of Peace 

I'm hoping those APUs make their way to the desktop line to replace the current 3000G.

My Carizzo based HTPCs are long in the tooth and I would like something more powerful and cooler running.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2020, 11:20  Burrito of Peace 

While the shooting and deaths of American servicemembers is undeniably tragic, I hope Apple tells them "Not only no but HELL NO! Also, fuck off while you're at it."

Government mandated backdoors in to encryption means that encryption becomes worthless.

1. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 11:11  Burrito of Peace 

Cue:

"Hurr durr...teh epik gaym storh is gunna stop giving away free gayms becuz they are teh suxxorz!"

in 3...2...1...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2020, 14:33  Burrito of Peace 

Armengar wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 13:50:
Born and raised in Dumfries but living in the lakes now. I can confirm that some of those piss me off too. I love haggis and i can guarantee most people who slag it off have never tried it, in fact i have served haggis instead of sausages before now at breakfast and people loved it (carnivore friends I should add). I do own a kilt but dont wear it often, i do wear it breezy and do get asked what i wear underneath it.

Aye, but I bet you do smell of lanolin.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2020, 14:31  Burrito of Peace 

Armengar wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 13:42:
In the days of all flash arrays it is becoming a non issue anyway. Our 3420 array is stupid quick and that uses raid 5 with 3.84tb sas ssds. You would need your head reading if you used raid5 on 3.84tb spinning rust drives.

Even the write penalty is a non issue and for our db and exchange log volumes they are mega.

Except that most places that have established arrays aren't running all flash. The large majority of big data sets are still on spinning rust. Moreover, the speed of the filesystem is not what makes ZFS great. It is the features that literally no other file system has that are as mature and well functioning.

Unless you have 10Gbe throughout your entire campus, you're not going to saturate the i/o of spinning rust today. Even at 7200RPM.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2020, 13:04  Burrito of Peace 

Due to my unusual brain chemistry, I remember every dream I have ever had and lucid dreaming is pretty easy. It's amazing the creative power the mind has.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2020, 12:22  Burrito of Peace 

Linus is 100% dead wrong here when it comes to ZFS' performance and Jim Salter does an amazing job of explaining why. ZFS on a large storage array is amazing and I wouldn't trust any other FS out there for my data sets.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 17:05  Burrito of Peace 

Happy Birthday Ant!  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 17:00  Burrito of Peace 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 15:29:
Wish you were a good IRL friend who lived nearby BoP. I'd give it a try. By the way, what your status on moving north?

For personal medical reasons, our move has been delayed. We're hoping to move in Fall.

I'm on Discord, Wire, Telegram, email, Google chat...whenever you want to take the plunge, I'd be happy to help.

And no, RedEye, we're not going to dual boot. If anything, I'd set him up with a VM and GPU passthrough so Mr. Tact wouldn't have to wait. I'm service oriented like that.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 14:22  Burrito of Peace 

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 22:23:
...I'd sooner go back to Ubuntu and never be able to play any real games...

As the kids say these days..."LOL".

I play all of my games on Linux. Steam with Proton+DXVK makes it a no brainer. For non Steam games, I use PlayonLinux (which is really just a simple frontend for WINE while using WINE 5 beta) and plug Proton in to it as needed.

Haven't found anything I can't run at an acceptable framerate so far.

News Comments > XO Early Access

5. Re: XO Early Access Jan 12, 2020, 08:01  Burrito of Peace 

Rigs wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 21:31:
Basically a Battlestar Galactica or Homeworld FTL-like. What's not to love?

This has none of the lore depth, musical masterpieces, emotional punch, or visual fidelity of Homeworld. The only thing this game and Homeworld have in common is the fleet management system and you start with one main capital ship. Even the latter isn't a direct comparison because the Mothership in Homeworld isn't a combat craft. It's an ark.

Also, I hate the vector graphics and I can find a myriad of other titles that provide a fleet management experience. The forced march loop from games like FTL did not, and do not, appeal to me.

I also watched the Space Game Junkie video and the writing in the prompts that came up onscreen is absolutely terrible. Cringeworthy in several that came up.

Ergo...hard pass from me.

News Comments > XO Early Access

2. Re: XO Early Access Jan 11, 2020, 19:18  Burrito of Peace 

Hard pass.  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2020, 13:39  Burrito of Peace 

<Just quietly sits in his office, vaping away at his gub'mint cheese job>  

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

4. Re: Evening Multiplex Jan 11, 2020, 12:18  Burrito of Peace 

MeanJim wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 19:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 19:04:
FM is NSFW

You shouldn't be watching YouTube at work anyway.

I'm now both the IT Manager and Senior Sysadmin.

Watch YouTube, I don't give a fuck. In fact, I would prefer that you did because it means you are taking a much needed mental break from the tediousness that makes up 99% of any given job.

News Comments > Into the Black

13. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2020, 10:58  Burrito of Peace 

Never really cared for Rush as I can't stand hobbit rock and I found Pert to be a decent drummer but not particularly outstanding. Before the torches and pitchforks come out, I grew up in a house with a professional drummer so I was exposed at an early age to folks like Buddy Rich, Billy Cobham, Max Roach, Louie Bellson, and Gene Krupa to name a few. In comparison, most modern drummers pale even my favorite, Bill Ward.

Also...Airworlf was vastly superior to Blue Thunder.

4163 Comments. 209 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >