Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2521 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
9. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial Mar 4, 2017, 18:21 Burrito of Peace

Let's not forget that this is the same Richard Garriot that gave us "Tabula Rasa" which hemorrhaged $200 million, and shut down less than a year after launch.

This guy is a has-been and needs to fade away.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
12. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 11:17 Burrito of Peace

OK, so Ryzen isn't going to go toe-to-toe with Intel in single threaded IPC measurements yet. Still, they're not bad in the bang/buck department and this is first gen. I'm interested to see how Naples turns out versus Xeon. Anything to bring the Xeon price gouging to a lower pain threshold would be welcome.

And before anyone says "Nobody games on a Xeon"...I do and so do a lot of my peers because we do more with our workstations than game. I'll also be interested how AMD addresses side look and look ahead in comparison to how Xeons do it.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
25. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 12:55 Burrito of Peace

Eh, I'm more excited for the Ryzen benchmarks tomorrow. GPUs have been in the "good enough to game well" for a long time. I'm also old for this demographic and wear glasses so 1080p is about what I can handle. I'm more excited for Vega, its price points, and its Linux performance. Nvidia can eat a bag of dicks for what they're doing to GPU passthrough and consumer GPUs.  

News Comments > Stellaris Utopia in April
4. Re: Stellaris Utopia in April Feb 28, 2017, 08:16 Burrito of Peace

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 04:55:
However! Heh, once you've played through it two or three times, you realise that there are severe problems with it. Most of the playable races are basically interchangable. Apart from their aggression level, they are basically all humans in alien "skins". Yeah there are differences, but they are too minor to affect playstyle really. After a certain point, the tech tree peters and you feel there is no more point to research. Worst of all there are balance issues with the ships and weapons. Basically battleships with particle lances destroy everything. Nothing else is worth building, and there is nothing really after that. Problem is, you basically get those by mid-game.

Diplomacy and racial specifics definitely needs an overhaul. The tech system peters out if you're turtling, in my experience. By the time I've hit end point on Physics, Society, and Engineering, I've expanded greatly and I'm still duking it out with two or more empires/federations (not even counting Fallen Empires or Ascending Empires). Those Shield +5% and Armor +5% really begin to stack up and have been critical in determining whether a war goes my way or not.

I also disagree with the battleship+particle lance=instant death assessment. I recently played a multiplayer game with a friend where he went that route due to advice on the Steam forums and Stellaris subreddit. He was unpleasantly surprised when my mixed fleet with battleships packing LA2 and battleships acting as carriers kept winning battle after battle. There were losses, of course, but the particle lance isn't the god weapon it was prior to Kennedy.

If you're looking for new ship types and weapons, I cannot recommend New Ship Classes and More and TFW's Bunch of Ship Parts highly enough. That will greatly expand your arsenal and change how you play. Also, Star Trek: New Horizons is a TC and radically overhauls research, weapons, and a bunch of other systems. It. too, is quite good.

News Comments > Sparc Announced
4. Re: Sparc Announced Feb 27, 2017, 17:04 Burrito of Peace

Soon to be released as followups: UltraSPARC. SPARC64.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 26, 2017, 22:23 Burrito of Peace

A couple of days ago, I wrote a couple of long posts about my efforts at being self-sufficient.

This is one of the major reasons why. I currently work in IT and there will come a time when even my job is automated away or the pool is reduced to a very tiny size.

When that happens, I want to know that I can fend for myself without needing to put out a lot of money each month.

The fact of the matter is that the US is lost to its citizens. They're going to get fucked by megacorps more and more as the decades go on.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda
12. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 26, 2017, 12:51 Burrito of Peace

ItBurn wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 11:54:
At a studio I worked at, it took 8 years to release one game and it was restarted from scratch several times.

Was that game Tabula Rasa?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 23:46 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 20:53:
I lived in Belltown and felt it was pretty green, haha. I had a dog walk on my roof. I had a roof!

So you had a woof on the roof? Belltown is a nice area now but not so much when I was up there. Seattle's changed a lot in 15 years.

Not to say the PNW isn't green, it is! It's just not personal green space. Like this morning, I brewed my cup of tea and went out to sit on the bottom step of the back porch where I could put my bare feet in the grass and watch the sunrise with only the early morning birdsong and occasional rooster crow. I couldn't do that in the city.

In general and not addressing Beamer specifically:

I can say that my personal quality of life is exponentially better than it was living in an urban environment. But that's just me, I'm not going to intimate or bluntly say it works for everyone. To be frank, there's a fair bit of hard, manual labor involved over the course of a full year. I love it because it allows my busy brain to disconnect for a while and just bask in the glory of sore muscles and being soaked in sweat. A productive "workout" since something was accomplished that will produce something versus a gym sweat which is good for the health but accomplishes nothing else.

Case in point: I have been playing lumberjack at my parents' property and my own every weekend for the last two months. I've got blisters, sore shoulders, arms, back, and thighs and I have a ballcap I wear that is nearly wholly white from the sweat that's dried in it. But I also have five cords of wood split and stacked from oaks I have cut down to season over the upcoming long, hot summer that we can use for heat and cooking (yay for wood burning stoves!). Tomorrow will be my last day of doing it and after all of it is split and stacked, I'll probably have another 3 cords. I'll have burned a shitload of calories and I'll have something to show for it.

For those who want to get in to vegetable gardening or greenhouse work, but have never done it, I suggest starting small. Go buy yourself some of those 30 or so gallon plastic trashcans at Home Depot, Lowes, or what have you, drill some holes in the bottom, dump a bag of rocks for drainage, and fill the rest with dirt. Start with Sta-Green because it outperforms Miracle Gro in my own experience and is cheaper. Start learning to grow in those and learn your seasons so you can plant and harvest year round. No matter where you live, you can grow all year round. You just need to know your seasons and what grows well in those seasons.

Once you get a couple of full year cycles under your belt, branch out to raised vegetable gardens. If you're creaky like me, your back and knees will thank you tremendously for it. Pick up a greenhouse kit if you want a rigid structure or do PVC hoops and plastic sheeting for something a bit more flexible and learn how to grow out of season produce. Branch out to fruit.

I'd speculate that we're at a point where my partner and I have supplanted 80% of store bought groceries with produce and animals we grow and raise ourselves. We're looking to be at 90% by Q4/18 or Q1/19. We'll never be at 100% because we don't harvest our own milk, make our own cheese, etc.

It's hard work initially, y'all, but once you get setup it's pretty easy to keep going with limited regular maintenance. We both work 40+ hours a week at a career jobs and still make it work. Using a handful of Raspberry Pis, we've automated watering entirely as well as soil sensors for readings to determine fertility, moisture, alkalinity, and acidity.

The chicken coop has an IP camera inside and outside with a motion sensor to flip on strobing lights at night to keep coyotes away. I can't tell you how many times I've watched my partner bolt off the couch in the early morning and tear out in to the coop to keep the rooster from pecking holes in the eggs. Fresh eggs are awesome. Washing chicken shit off of them not so much but it's worth it to us.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry about that. I'm pretty proud of our setup and it suits us well. You can take it as far or as near as you wish, whatever makes you happy. One of the things I would recommend is picking up a couple issues of Mother Earth News. Sometimes there are articles that are a bit kooky but generally they have a ton of good content and information to help you get started and continue to improve. I still learn stuff that I utilize and get better results.

Shutting up now.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 17:43 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:21:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:58:
Yeah it would be if I were going to be driving. The West Village is so pedestrian friendly though that I'm not bringing my car (it'll sit on my parents drive way for the time being, but I'll probably just end up selling it in a few months). Work is a less than 10 minute walk away in Chelsea, there's a grocery store a block and a half from me, cleaners are right next door, etc., etc.

This concept has always intrigued me. So different from the type of living I've done my entire life. I don't know if I would like it, but I certainly wouldn't mind at least trying it.

I think it depends upon where you find your zen, so to speak. I've lived an extremely urban lifestyle after living a very rural lifestyle and hated it. Living on-top of each other like rats, no personal green space, and constant noise made me ditch a well-paying job and a downtown Seattle apartment to go back to rural living.

Today, I hopped on my mower, mowed my acre and a half lawn, got all my vegetables planted as we have an early spring, played with my dog, and chatted with my neighbor as he had come down the road when I was out getting the mail. He lives just a hair over a mile down the road from me. Outside of him, I didn't see another living human being today. It was quiet outside of the normal noises of nature and the breeze.

38. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 10:33 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 06:39:
<snipped for the sake of brevity>

Anyhow, sorry. Bible stuff. I know! Apologies. Please, forgive. I'll put myself in the time-out corner. Dunce

I'm well familiar with Judeo-Christian mythology and it's cool as we were discussing Scott movies.

I disagree with your assertion that nephilim equates to "bullies" in ancient Hebrew as there's no supporting evidence of that. The commonly agreed upon translation equated nephilim to mean "giants", with the popular minority opinion being that it's a generality for "fallen". It should also be noted that the term "giant" doesn't necessitate a measure of size, either. It can, and has, been argued that it was used to denote ability and as a mean of delineation from your common, every day human being.

A great deal of the symbolism, myths, and legends in the Old Testament, especially those in the chapters of Genesis and Exodus, are straight up lifts and reworks of previously existing stories found in Sumerian mythology. So I get that Scott reworked some of the original details of the Sumerian mythology back in to the story to bring it closer to its original point of origin. That I do not have a problem with.

What I had a problem with is that the movie was, by and large, poorly presented and delivered. The historical points are all wrong and clearly out of chronological sequence as there were few, if any, Hebrew people in Egypt during the reign of Ramses, for example. The culture of ancient Egypt was depicted incorrectly. The ancient Egyptians didn't hang people, they normally beheaded people which is what the khopesh was designed to do. There's plenty of archaeological evidence which supports this and we do not see hanging as a form of execution in any hieroglyphs, reliefs, or documents.

I could go on but the point is, it was just a poor movie on Scott's part but even Spielberg and Hitchcock threw out some duds so I let it slide.

29. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 22:22 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 18:56:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 18:16:
That Alien: Covenant trailer was bad ass! Really looking forward to it.

Interesting. Many Youtube comments show the opposite. Specifically many think the dinner scene from Alien is better. What do you say?

I'm happy with it. I think people don't get that the dinner scene in this one was a mirror opposite of the one from Alien. In Alien, they're getting out of an interrupted hypersleep after working who knows how long on a refining gig. They're tired, fed up of being in space, and just a little bit on each other's nerves. They are very much ready to go back, get paid, and go home. In this one, you have a group of fairly young individuals who are beyond excited at being on what should be one of the greatest events in human history. They're certainly more free spirited and far less grizzled than the crew of the Nostromo. I like the change in approach.

I also don't see this prologue having a lot of spoilers in it. We know there's going to be xenomorphs, we know there are going to be face huggers, and probably a queen. We know that people will die. But those have never been the major plot points of any of the Alien movies. What we don't know is whom the chosen survivor(s) might be and we don't know yet how they will act to insure that survival.That's the core of any movie in the Alien franchise; survival.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I've yet to see a Ridley Scott movie that I legitimately hated through and through though Exodus: Gods and Kings comes fairly close. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see it two weeks after it opens.

21. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 18:16 Burrito of Peace

That Alien: Covenant trailer was bad ass! Really looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 17:57 Burrito of Peace

descender wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 09:28:
Do you take off all of your door locks just because there are people in the world that can pick them?

Not, but I sure as fuck don't trust the ones that I know have been compromised. What idiot would?

The only real security in transmission is end-to-end encryption with unique key pairing and/or routing your traffic to a non-specific exit point that rotates frequently.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 09:18 Burrito of Peace

Isn't this fairly pointless since SSL has been broken and is therefore compromised?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2017, 22:53 Burrito of Peace

Fantaz wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 21:11:
it used to be $25 in Canada but now they raised it here to $35

Yeah, but that's only like $10 in Freedom Dollars.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 16, 2017, 18:36 Burrito of Peace

I think the best UI on any Microsoft console to date was the old "blade" style that was on the Xbox 360 originally. It was simple to navigate, clear in what blade did what, and uncluttered with what amounts to loads of Flash ad bullshit.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 11:15 Burrito of Peace

I have a rule when I move: If I haven't touched something in 6 months, it gets donated or tossed with the exception being spare parts for things I use regularly.

Makes moving easier and far less of a hassle.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Cannonlake 15% faster than Kaby Lake Feb 10, 2017, 09:50 Burrito of Peace

I'm at a point where I no longer care about processor frequency (as that hasn't been a bottleneck in at least a decade) but what I do care about is core availability. While normally an Intel stalwart, Ryzen has piqued my interest with their 8 core design for less than the cost of a down payment on a new vehicle. If they can roll that over to the Opteron line that is less expensive but at least as performant as a Xeon with 8 cores at a 4 core price, I'll scoop one up.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2017, 22:12 Burrito of Peace

With regards to Babylon 5, I'm reasonably sure I read an interview with either the animation lead or one of the animators (this was ages ago in a magazine mid to late 90s), where they talked about rendering on the Amiga in 640x480 for the exact same reasons as mentioned in the ST link. That's the NTSC standard and no one at the time dreamed that we'd have HD or UHD. The only types of televisions that were in the average consumers' home were CRT types and they'd never see the difference in higher resolutions ever. They were probably filmed on actual film in the same way that DS9 and Voyager were in the beginning and that was on real film.

So, unfortunately, we'll never see BRs of Babylon 5. Sucks because that's my favorite sci fi show ever.

News Comments > Diluvion Released
6. Re: Diluvion Released Feb 3, 2017, 09:07 Burrito of Peace

Another vote for "the controls are terrible" and the camera itself is way too close to the ass end of the ship.  

2521 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo