Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2223 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2016, 17:21 Burrito of Peace

Singer I'm a lumberjack and that's ok... Singer  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2016, 17:15 Burrito of Peace

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 15:57:
Slackware for life.

Slackware is for pussies. REAL users run Arch*.

*This is entirely tongue in cheek. Who gives a fuck what anyone uses?

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2016, 14:25 Burrito of Peace

sauron wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 11:58:
That's interesting - I might have to look into it in the future. I've thought of Xeons in the past but they've always seemed so expensive. Until now, I guess.

The trick for your average person to afford a Xeon is look one generation back (or further, depending on your budget). Xeon sockets don't change as fast as the Core line does so you see longer support times with them.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2016, 11:40 Burrito of Peace

sauron wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 10:57:
That Xeon PC article is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Funny that the dual Xeon performs so much better in everything except games, but then I think we already knew that would be the case since CPU is not the bottleneck in those applications.

I've been running Xeons for years and I wouldn't ever go back to a desktop processor. They hold their own well enough in games and in everything else, as the article shows, they dominate especially when paired with the amount of memory a workstation deserves.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 1, 2016, 09:39 Burrito of Peace

The annoyances caused by the TSA and the overall shitty experience of flying means that unless it's for work or an emergency, I don't fly. I drive.  

News Comments > New Space Sim HOTAS
1. Re: New Space Sim HOTAS Mar 31, 2016, 10:16 Burrito of Peace

It would appear that the link is borked and Saitek's site is jacked.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 26, 2016, 18:10 Burrito of Peace

If this is so, hopefully AMOLED 4K monitors with high refreshes will drop in price as well. start to exist at reasonable prices.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2016, 18:24.

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Next Month
1. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Next Month Mar 24, 2016, 21:24 Burrito of Peace

Anyone tried this in EA? Thoughts? Impressions?  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 16:36 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 15:58:
What do they use for liquid cooling in Mordor?

The blood of elves, natch.

News Comments > More Ubisoft Versus Vivendi
15. Re: More Ubisoft Versus Vivendi Mar 24, 2016, 14:45 Burrito of Peace

For me, this centers around the Silent Hunter series. Under Ubisoft, the last entry in to the series was positively crippled and broken by their DRM crap. Silent Hunter IV is still the best of the series, in my opinion.

Under the current regime, we'll probably never see another Silent Hunter again due to the publisher's fuckups. If Vivendi buys them out, is there a better chance of seeing a new, actually functioning version of Silent Hunter? I don't know...but I would hazard to guess that it's a better chance.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 02:33 Burrito of Peace

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 19:54:
How is the NAS connected to your PC?

10Gbe NIC in the system. Goes to a switch that connects via fibre to the NAS.

descender wrote:
What drives and raid configuration are you running in it? Raid 0+1 or 5?... NAS raid controllers aren't built for speed either. Fill me in.

The drives are all Western Digital Red 4TB SAS drives (WD4001FYYG to be precise) and they are configured in a RAID50 array. There are 60 of them in total. Aggregate speed is faster than a single 7200RPM consumer drive, obviously.

descender wrote:
I just would not expect the performance from even a well configured NAS to be similar to a proper 7200RPM internal drive barring some odd custom configuration. It's probably close... but it can't be the same especially in the games mentioned here that show a larger than normal impact from HD speeds.

And I do have an odd, custom configuration because my workstation is obviously meant to do more than just play games.

However, that being said, a well built and well tuned NAS (Which eliminates all consumer grade off-the-shelf NAS units because they're all shit, even Synology and Thecus)can outperform a single SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM drive. I don't know anyone that doesn't have an old system laying around from even a semi-recent era that doesn't support SATAIII built in given that the spec was released in 2009 and motherboards appeared that same year with SATAIII.

Most ATX motherboards provide 6 SATA ports built on to the motherboard. That old system probably already has a decent quad core in it and the memory can be upgraded to the maximum supported amount fairly cheaply. Let's peg it at 16GB. Let's say that between disks (4x 2TB Hitachi Ultrastars) and memory, we're looking at a $300USD investment.

A single, 7200RPM SATA3 drive is only going to provide you with a sustained throughput of 110MB/s. That's raw throughput speed though and doesn't account for OS overhead. Let's generalize and say that in a real world setting, you'll probably see ~95-100MB/s. Unless you're doing massive file transfers in the TB range and then using block copy you'll see that 110MB/s. But games don't do that and for massive loads (DAI, for exmaple), they'll typically move more data than the drive can handle in burst mode, so you're back to that ~95-100MB/s.

Those 4TB disks in a RAID0 array will garner you close to 550MB/s. Throw them in a RAID5 and you'll see, conservatively, 400 or so.

"But Burrito, my NIC only does 1Gb!" True, it does. But let's say you really want to see that speed. So drop in another 1Gb NIC in both systems and configure both your system's OS** and the NAS' host OS* to use MPIO and iSCSI. It's pretty trivial to do both, at least to me. Gbe NICs are dirt cheap, even for PCI-E versions so you may spend another $50USD on both additional NICs.

That NAS is going to last for far longer than your current PC will (even with drive failures but that's why you should be running RAID5 although I really wouldn't deem any single array as "safe" for long term storage of critical data) and you can use it for more than just storing your games.

So, for $350USD and with repurposing an old system, we've built and configured a NAS that will outperform any single spinning rust disk, provide us with greater capacity than any single disk (currently) and will last us for a decent amount of time while providing us with the capability to use it to do more than just store games on.

*I'd run CentOS as the host OS although you could probably use NAS4Free, FreeNAS, Rockstor, or others if they support MPIO and iSCSI.
**Windows 7 and up fully support iSCSI initiation using Microsoft's iSCSI initiator and Windows 10 has it already baked in with nothing that needs to be installed.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2016, 19:20 Burrito of Peace

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 18:36:
That games installed on a NAS story makes my head explode. It raises... so many questions.

Such as?

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2016, 17:38 Burrito of Peace

I went a different route. I have two 256GB SSD for my boot drives (one for Windows, one for Linux)and swap. On Linux, my /home actually resides on a NAS share. On Windows, my gaming "drive" is a network drive mapped to a different share on the NAS. I have zero performance problems with this setup. I don't see the point in having a spinning rust disk in the system when I can point everything that I want to keep on the NAS and have it remain stateful through multiple iterations of machines.  

News Comments > GOG.com Insomnia Sale
2. Re: GOG.com Insomnia Sale Mar 21, 2016, 21:09 Burrito of Peace

I watched 5 games go past and they were all shitty, low-rent titles that had mostly negative reviews.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2016, 01:33 Burrito of Peace

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 20, 2016, 15:25:
On a side note, I can't believe how bad the commentary is for F1 in the US. It's embarrassing. It consists almost entirely of long pauses and painfully obvious statements - the amount of dead air is bizarre.

It's Leigh Fucking Diffy that's the problem. When Bob Varsha covered it with Hobbes and Matchett on Speed, it was a far better broadcast.

Diffy is an ignorant fuckstick whose best claim to fame is that he is a "never was" in also-ran team from V8 Super Cars in Australia. Hell, we don't even really get Sam Posey anymore doing voiceovers.

We just watch Sky's coverage now because at least those cats are funny and natural in comparison.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2016, 21:15 Burrito of Peace

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 20, 2016, 17:37:
As a self-identified Fridgekin, this triggers me.

As a kin dysphoric person, this triggered me and I NEED A SAFE SPACE!

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2016, 22:39 Burrito of Peace

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 21:29:
Phil Spencer = Gaylord

I do not believe that Phil Spencer is a joyous sovereign.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 18, 2016, 16:15 Burrito of Peace

I'm just hoping Cyberpunk is a better game than Satellite Reign was. For a game that hyped itself as a spiritual successor to the Syndicate series, it was a massive letdown.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 10:59 Burrito of Peace

Forget basketball. The F1 season kicks off on Sunday with the season opener in Melbourne with the Australian Grand Prix!

The US has representation for the first time in decades with the Haas F1 team.

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Launch
4. Re: Need for Speed PC Launch Mar 16, 2016, 23:10 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 23:07:
Their stuff looks pretty sweet though. Anyone use it?

Yes, and I enjoy their wheels and pedals very, very much. They work quite well in my cockpit setup.

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 23:07:
Anyone use it with ETS2 or ATS?

No.

2223 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo