Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2954 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2018, 07:25 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 23:31:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 19:56:
That's certainly one solution, yes, and one I personally advocate. In 2018, there isn't really a need to be "technically savvy" to use Linux. No more than using Windows.

My mother is in her latter 60s and has been a full time Linux user for the last six years. Three years on Mint and the last three on Manjaro.
It's been a while since I've looked at it, perhaps I should look again. I admit I'm not even familiar with Mint or Manjaro. What is the solution for gaming? Some kind of virtual box?

Depending on the game, yes. However, there are a many games that have Linux native versions through Steam. Generally, I find those to be more performant than their Windows counterparts.

For games that do not have a Linux version, I do have a VM that I use PCI passthrough (for the video card) with that gives me ~98% performance versus bare metal. Although it is not yet a one click solution, there's plenty of guides that can walk a person through how to do so with minimal difficulty. jdreyer and I talked about this some months back and he did it. He was, if I remember, quite pleased with the result.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 19:56 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 13:56:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 12:02:
[Shrugs] There are many ways around the Windows problem but people will still bitch about it while doing absolutely nothing about it.
Which solution are you advocating? Linux? I'm technically savvy enough I probably could use Linux, but I'm just not interested in executing the effort which is required.

That's certainly one solution, yes, and one I personally advocate. In 2018, there isn't really a need to be "technically savvy" to use Linux. No more than using Windows.

My mother is in her latter 60s and has been a full time Linux user for the last six years. Three years on Mint and the last three on Manjaro. In that time, she has asked for help exactly once. She uses it to browse the web, email, watch movies, wrote a cookbook on it, and other light to medium duty usage. I would in no way quantify my mother as a technical user.

Likewise, my wife whom is also not a particularly technical user, uses Linux daily and even runs her payroll, bookkeeping, and accounting business using Quickbooks off of it.

It's absolutely doable.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 12:02 Burrito of Peace

[Shrugs] There are many ways around the Windows problem but people will still bitch about it while doing absolutely nothing about it.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 6, 2018, 07:43 Burrito of Peace

Sepharo wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 04:35:
Microprose is dead to me!
How dare they!

Too soon.

5. Re: Lassie Got Help Aug 4, 2018, 17:50 Burrito of Peace

My Sheltie would definitely come to my aid. She's got excellent mothering instincts and is incredibly alert.  

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
47. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 3, 2018, 15:40 Burrito of Peace

Jesus, why don't you guys get a room, fuck, and get it over with? Talk about threadshitting!  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2018, 11:16 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 00:58:
Rather lengthy response...

First: Kxmode, I appreciate the time and effort you put in to your reply. From your point of view, it is well presented and researched. I respect that. Please take my response as conversational and neither adversarial nor sarcastic.

I disagree with your assertions because they're interpretive, not analytical. Like most responses from believers, they are based on inherent assumptions rather than provable data.

Abrahamic religions share the origin story that Yahweh/God/Allah created Adam and Eve. However, there are key differences in that some translations state that Adam and Eve are the very first humans created while others state that Adam and Eve were the first of the "Chosen People" created. While it may seem minor, it creates a schism in dogma because:

1. If Adam is the first male human, the story goes that he was created from dust/earth/dirt. Were that the case, then Adam himself would be an imperfect creature from the outset given that dirt is essentially eons of decayed matter both biologic and geologic. Therefore, without resorting to magic-handwaving, he is an impure and imperfect creature.
(Genesis 2:7 KJV)

2. If Adam, and therefore Eve, are the first of the "Chosen People", then it is clear they are not the first of the human race. Which means there are others that predate them and either they are flawed which destroys the credibility of a perfect deity or they were created by someone else which removes the concept of a single god. Moreover, there is transliterative problems with Eloha and Elohim. One is singular and the other plural and the plural gets used almost ubiquitously. This is further supported by Cain being exiled (to Nod and how is there a Nod and city therein), being marked so that no one should/would kill him (how could anyone else kill him if it is just Adam, Eve, Cain, and the late Abel up to this point), and then returning from exile with a wife. (Gen 4:15-17 KJV)

Further, proceeding under the guise that Yahweh/God/Allah is an omnipotent and omniscient entity, he/she/it/they would would therefore know that Adam and Eve would disregard instructions. You can't use the argument that Satan tempted them without said diety's knowledge. Likewise, you can't use the argument of free will, either, due to the nature of omniscience. If an entity is truly omniscient, then that entity would know this is the outcome and the punishment thereafter is intentional cruelty. Moreover, it goes straight in to psychopathy when that punishment is automatically inherited by descendants (whether they're from Adam and Eve or from the faceless "others") who had no part in the initial transgression.

Also, there's a great many mentions of being afraid or fearful. Why would you ever need to fear an allegedly kind and loving god?

We're not even going to delve deeply in to the mountain of atrocities directed by Yahweh/God/Allah but we can recap some of the more egregious ones:

(Numbers 31:7-18 KJV)God tells the Israelites to kill the Midianites, including cutting the unborn from their mothers wombs to dash against rocks, except for the virgins. That's because God tells them to keep them as party favors that they can rape at will.

(2 Kings 2:23-24 KJV) Children, children, are torn apart by bears because they mocked Elisha for his bald pate.

The many, many references to the acceptable policy of slavery, especially sex slavery, in Exodus and Numbers. Including members of one's own family.

One could argue that that is all in the Old Testament, which is true. Nevertheless, it pointedly puts to lie the assertion of a kind and loving god.

We can dig in to the New Testament, so let's. I won't be using the name "Jesus" because it's wholly and woefully inaccurate. If such an individual actually existed, his name would have been Yeshua.

Yeshua I like, from a philosophical perspective. He had a very good core message. To wit: Don't be a dick, help out when you can, not when it is convenient. Good message that, but it is a message that has echoed down the history of humanity from many different sources from many different areas of the globe through epochs long before the alleged events laid out in the New Testament.

Finally, we have Yeshua saying "This is the new and everlasting covenant..."

Wait a minute. If an omnipotent, omniscient, and perfect god exists, then why do we a need new covenant? Wasn't the first divinely perfect and pure? The answer is no because you have a book of mythology that is doing its best to retcon a savage, bloodthirsty, psychopathic war deity, Yaweh, with a more Gaian oriented deity in Yeshua.

A final point is that Abrahamic religions more or less transpose Satan and Lucifer when they are different entities within their own dogma. Satan, as an entity, is a creation of the early Hebrews. It is a literary device to frame all the foibles of human behavior and an extremely primitive understanding of the world. Lucifer, as an entity, is setup as an agent provocateur to give mankind agency in "helping" their deity by being as obedient to their dogma as possible. Both are used as devices to advance a social engineering agenda.

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
8. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Aug 3, 2018, 00:21 Burrito of Peace

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 2, 2018, 21:42:
If it's not Andromeda 2 then fuck you Bioware.

If it is Andromeda 2, then fuck you, Bioware. Andromeda was absolute garbage even after all the updates. But it's most damning problem is that it was god awful boring.

If they want to revisit the Mass Effect universe, go prequel and do the Human-Turian war. No Magic Savior Sheapherd, no bland cult bullshit. Hell, play a young Anderson who makes his bones during the conflict.

18. Re: More proof gods don't exist Aug 2, 2018, 21:10 Burrito of Peace

1badmf wrote on Aug 2, 2018, 20:57:
you knew that prick? dammit why aren't you a time traveller and, like, given him herpes or something. but at least you've confirmed you have a be a real asshole to spew all his sociopathic lies in order to sell his snake oil.

That's why I put "knew" in quotes. Back then, he was just a clownish asshole that was one of many conspiracy whackjobs that had public access shows and cheesy HTML websites with marquee text and animated GIFs.

15. Re: More proof gods don't exist Aug 2, 2018, 19:03 Burrito of Peace

You know, it's morbidly funny. I "knew" Alex Jones when he was kicking around the local community college and I was a student there. I say "knew" in quotes because it's not like we hung out and drank together. Even back then, he was an insufferable asshole but the difference is that this whole thing he has going on now is a persona, a brand. His early public access stuff done through the RTF department was mocked to Hell and gone. He used to get so, so pissed because, not that people wouldn't take him seriously, no one would buy his cheap crap that he was hawking.

As a former Catholic, I can tell you there is no "kind and loving God". If there were, explain childhood terminal cancer without resorting to magic hand-waving and/or some variation on theme of "It's God's unknowable plan".

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2018, 15:20 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 11:32:
It's a sign that the cd/dvd burner is going the way of the dodo.
Newegg has them, once again no brand names and the default page does not show many reviews.

Vendors on Amazon know an unreviewed item, or under-reviewed, does not sell well.
I use fakespot as another tool in my arsenal on online shopping.

Asus with code is $28.
$7 off w/ promo code 731BTCPC77, Sale Ends in 15 Hours
$0.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)

I have and regularly use this exact model for extracting data from old discs. It works very well although the whine is a touch loud for my taste. Even so, it has read everything I've thrown at it and has had no issues being bounced around in my backpack.

News Comments > Origin Access Premier Premiers
6. Re: Origin Access Premier Launches Jul 31, 2018, 08:43 Burrito of Peace

I'm pretty much done with EA so I don't see this to be a particular loss to me.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 11:52 Burrito of Peace

sauron wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 10:25:
I'd just go with animal control...

Fair point. I sometimes forget that this site is overwhelmingly composed of urbanites and suburbanites.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2018, 09:50 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 23:19:
Snake hysteria here...

If it's a round head, don a set of quality leather work gloves, and, once you find it, gently grasp it behind the head and about three quarters down the body. Take the poor frightened thing outside and set it free.

Snakesisses and spiderbros are very good for your local ecosystem.

If it's a wedge head, and a wedge head is very distinctive in shape, call your local animal control and they should come remove it.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2018, 15:09 Burrito of Peace

Yup, gotta agree with you. Ticks of all stripes, along with fire ants, have to die tout suite.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2018, 09:47 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2018, 14:31:
Odd as it may seem, I had no part in the follow up poop posts.

skepticalkid.jpg

News Comments > Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Announced
2. Re: Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Announced Jul 26, 2018, 11:55 Burrito of Peace

This looks like a Flash game.  

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Launches Next Generation Expansion
3. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Launches Next Generation Expansion Jul 25, 2018, 06:47 Burrito of Peace

I didn't see any exploding consoles. That's bullshit. Clearly it's not a real TNG experience. /s  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2018, 14:56 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2018, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2018, 14:31:

Speaking of heat waves, y'all are in the middle of one, arencha?
F-me, it's a dry heat

heat advisory remains in effect until Monday 8pm cdt

Don't know about you, but the heat index has us at 102 right now...and climbing. Might hit 105 today which would put us around 112.

Of course, I'll be outside at 6pm grilling...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2018, 14:51 Burrito of Peace

Based on the trailers, out of 10:

Orville 9
Aquaman 5
GOJIRA! 7

The Orville is a show that is way, way better than it has any right to be. It's what Discovery should have been instead of the moribund affair it was. I have no Trek neckbeardedness within me, Discovery was just boring.

Aquaman looks to be yet another in a long line of DC movies that are style over substance. I might watch it after it hits Netflix, torrents, or whatever if Mrs. Burrito has a burning need to see it.

GOJIIIIRA! I love the old monster movies so I'm definitely down for another return to form. Given the tie in with Kong: Skull Island, I would almost bet that Charles Dance is playing the character of James Conrad. Which would then set this movie up to tie in to the next Kong movie. Definitely going to see this in theatres. Having Godzilla's roar be so loud that your eyedrums pulse is fucking amazing.

2954 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo