Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2310 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2016, 10:44 Burrito of Peace

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 12:35:
I've tried Stellaris and frankly this is better.

Whereas I feel the exact opposite. I bought both games during their first EA stages and have consistently played both of them through today. MOO isn't a bad game, per se, but it doesn't shine in any particular area. It's just OK. It's what I play when I don't really want to have to put a lot of thought in to strategy. Even on its hardest setting, it's not overly difficult.

Not shipping with mod support was a mistake, and a large one. Stellaris had mod support in EA and, as of now, 3,021 mods are available through the Steam Workshop.

I'm not trying to bag on MOO, because it's not a terrible game, but I think comparisons to Stellaris are a bit unfair. MOO is a kiddie pool and Stellaris is an ocean.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dawn of War III Footage
5. Re: Dawn of War III Footage Sep 7, 2016, 09:26 Burrito of Peace

I personally didn't like Dawn of War as a squad based...thing. For me, the pinnacle of the series is still Dark Crusade. I wish we would see another.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 31, 2016, 20:55 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 16:14:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:55:
I just wish Amazon would stop shipping Prime merchandise through the shithole that is US Postal system. "It'll be delivered Monday!" Wednesday arrives...[crickets as the postal twunt rolls by]. Call Amazon:
"It says it was out for delivery on Monday."
"Yes, yes I know it does. It has said that Monday, Tuesday, and now today."
"We'll reship the item overnight for you."
"While I appreciate that, is there anyway that I can get my Prime purchases not shipped through the godawful postal system?"
"We have many different methods of ensuring that we meet your two day Prime guarantee and it's not possible to pick just one or exclude one."
"Right."

Add the following line to your chat conversation:

"I pay 99 dollars a year to get stuff here in two days. Not three days, or four days, or five days. Two days. If you can't guarantee that, I might as well quit Prime."

This line is typically followed with them going: "Sorry sir, would a $10 credit / free month of prime on your account suffice?"

Also, ALWAYS make a screenshot of the "GUARANTEED DELIVERY ON SEPTEMBER 1st!" window. Then, when you contact them and they try to pull the "technically it's two days from when it's readied in the warehouse for shipping, sir." on you, you show them the screenshot, and voila. Credit, or new items shipped overnight for free, flow your way.

Solid copy, Creston! Thanks!

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 14:41 Burrito of Peace

panbient wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 13:14:
Until very recently the price of a new video game had been stagnant at $60 for about 3 decades.

This is utter bullshit. 25 years ago, I could walk in to a Software ETC, throw down $21.65 (including sales tax) and walk out with a brand new copy of the just released Stellar 7 CD Edition, Eye of the Beholder, and a bunch of other titles. I remember it vividly because I spent three weeks of my summer mowing lawns to pay for all the titles I wanted to buy and the rest of that summer playing those games with my friends. Each game was stickered at 19.99.

What I pay my housecleaner on a weekly basis today is now barely enough to afford three such titles at current market price. And you can't lay it all at the feet of the consumer. Yes, we absolutely do want better graphics and audio but the demographic of buying consumers has skyrocketed astronomically. So you have a larger pool to cash in on now than at any other time in history.

You can't even say that the entire cost of development has gone up astronomically either. How many major titles don't use Unity, UE, or other prepackaged solutions for iterating your pipeline? Back in the day, that was a major chunk of development time and cost as every game was its own engine. Sure, I would agree that asset creation has gotten more expensive but the returns now are greater than at any time in history.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 31, 2016, 12:55 Burrito of Peace

I just wish Amazon would stop shipping Prime merchandise through the shithole that is US Postal system. "It'll be delivered Monday!" Wednesday arrives...[crickets as the postal twunt rolls by]. Call Amazon:
"It says it was out for delivery on Monday."
"Yes, yes I know it does. It has said that Monday, Tuesday, and now today."
"We'll reship the item overnight for you."
"While I appreciate that, is there anyway that I can get my Prime purchases not shipped through the godawful postal system?"
"We have many different methods of ensuring that we meet your two day Prime guarantee and it's not possible to pick just one or exclude one."
"Right."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 17:19 Burrito of Peace

Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 16:09:
Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 15:10:
There is no need for a curved screen monitor for gaming monitors of this size. its a gimmick that servers no purpose to allow you to see the game any better. I've looked at them and I personally cant see any reason for them.

Here's a counterpoint: When using two monitors, almost everyone skews them a bit to have the outside edges be a little closer to them (myself included). If this mirrors what everyone naturally does with that much screen real estate, maybe it's for a reason.

counter-counterpoint: Two curved screens side by side (even with one at an angle so you don't have to turn your head Exorcist style) is going to cause a bizarre optical problem where the two screens curve up toward the joining part. While our focal points are spherical stereoptic, we also rely heavily on our peripheral vision which curved screens are absolutely terrible for. If Samsung could bring out the bendable OLED technology they keep demoing for monitors with a flexible frame at a reasonable price, that would solve the issue entirely.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 29, 2016, 08:42 Burrito of Peace

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 12:40:
"Join Russ Bullock and Piranha Games as we look ahead to the future of MechWarrior." as he discusses a nickel-and-dime, poorly made f2p MechWarrior as the only future of MechWarrior left as far as the eye can see. Strap in fellas!

Hare Brained Schemes would disagree, I think.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
22. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 15:33 Burrito of Peace

If we're recommending cases, my vote is for an Antec Thirteen Hundred. 12 HDD bays for both 3.5 and 2.5 inch form factors and I loaded mine with Noctua fans. It currently holds a 44TB ESXi server and runs quiet while still keeping HDD, MB, and CPU temps in the 40C range. I consider that acceptable given that it runs 24/7 and is being used as a VM host, with one of those hosts being an Oracle DB server and another being a NAS VM that is used constantly.  

1. PowerMac G5 - Is it Obsolete? Aug 22, 2016, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

It was obsolete when it was released.  

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
3. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 09:40 Burrito of Peace

So, there's a couple of things here that I have questions about:

1. Whatever the wattage is (300,400, or 500) is that across the whole bus or per slot? If it's the whole bus, then we'll still be using 8 pin power connectors for video cards when more than one is present in a system.

2. Regardless of whether this is per slot or the entire bus, we're going to need another power connector for the motherboard. As most modern power supplies have several 8 pin connectors available for video cards, it'd make sense to use that form factor for delivering the extra power to the board. Will that be the case or are we going to see yet another pin configuration for a plug?

edit: "The slot"? So does that mean only a single slot will be rated for the higher power bandwidth?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2016, 15:51 Burrito of Peace

Having never seen any of the animated DC stuff, ever, and only vaguely remembering the X-men animated thing, I recently watched "The Killing Joke" because I had a few friends that were absolutely spazzing over it.

I...didn't get the hype. It was OK but the backstory of the evolution of the Joker was weak sauce. Hamill does a fine Joker, however. The story itself was a big old sack of "meh" to me.

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
18. Re: Mass Effect Remasters Hint Aug 17, 2016, 09:16 Burrito of Peace

"Activision has since released a number of remasters or ports, and now they are working on a full-on remaster for MW."

I got excited for half a second, thinking that Activision was remastering the MechWarrior games but then I realized they were talking about that piece of shit Modern Warfare.

News Comments > Police Simulator Law Enforcement Announced
4. Re: Police Simulator Law Enforcement Announced Aug 12, 2016, 23:28 Burrito of Peace

Will I be allowed to harass minorities, illegally confiscate personal property, illegally wiretap on anyone I choose, and never face any consequences for whatever misdeeds I may commit?  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2016, 11:52 Burrito of Peace

The older I become, the more I am convinced that the US is becoming a corporate fascism.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2016, 14:44.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
37. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 09:47 Burrito of Peace

LiTh wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:16:
Nothing more enjoyable then watching Blues posters bitch and moan about microsoft as they post from their microsoft OS's.

I just kind of feel sorry for people who use Windows as their only OS at this point.

News Comments > StarCraft HD Next Month?
5. Re: StarCraft II HD Next Month? Aug 5, 2016, 11:06 Burrito of Peace

El Pit wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 11:00:
nin wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 10:39:
WC 1+2+DP, please...

And I would have expected them to save this for Blizzcon.

What has Wing Commander to do with Blizzard? Oh, wait... I got it.

Hell, what does Double Penetration have to do with Blizzard?

On a side note, I would be interested in this if I could be single player offline with no Battle.net account required.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 4, 2016, 19:07 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 10:59:
Interested in the penguin, check out Manjaro, a rolling release. Arch based and Arch compatible but it is not Arch.

While I do not disagree that Manjaro is a tasty distro, I would not at all recommend it for people whom want to try Linux. Manjaro is where you head once you've graduated out of the kiddie pool but aren't ready for Debian, Fedora, Arch, or Gentoo. For new users, I think Mint is alright but I generally steer people toward Korora with Cinnamon these days. It has newer packages than Mint and doesn't rely on the hackjob bullshit that Ubuntu does.

News Comments > Disney Platformers on GOG.com
6. Re: Disney Platformers on GOG.com Aug 4, 2016, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

I wish they would have brought Disney Coaster to GOG.  

News Comments > Vikings Wolves of Midgard Trailer
3. Re: Vikings Wolves of Midgard Trailer Aug 3, 2016, 13:52 Burrito of Peace

I like the looks of it, like the fact that it has online co-op, and love the fact it has a Linux version.

Still, I'll wait for reviews on it.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 31, 2016, 18:41 Burrito of Peace

All my credit cards switched to chip ~9 months ago. I have used those cards hundreds of times but not once have I ever been asked for a PIN.

My debit card recently received a chip replacement but the only thing I use that for is infrequent cash withdrawals. That, of course, requires a PIN at the ATM.

2310 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo