Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2592 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 06:01 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 02:31:
With MadCatz going out of business I hope Razer decides to start making joysticks.

God, I hope not. I have been arguing with them for weeks now about a faulty left mouse button on a Deathaddr Chroma that is a known hardware problem that they willfully blow off and ignore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 05:14 Burrito of Peace

Ditto, Jivaro! I had every Atari computer up to the Falcon. Though, by the time of the Falcon, the writing was on the wall and I also had an XT PC.  

News Comments > Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2017, 20:37 Burrito of Peace

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 17:39:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 16:17:
Old man Eidolon disapproves of these shenanigans.

So pleased I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of this. I think that may actually be the first game I played on a home computer.

It's definitely one of the first I remember playing on my Atari 800. We're old men in this crowd.

News Comments > Firefall Falls
8. Re: Firefall Falls Jul 7, 2017, 17:44 Burrito of Peace

I remember trying this game. It was meh. Oh noes, yet another MMO crashes and burns.  

News Comments > Evil Genius 2 Announced
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 11:14 Burrito of Peace

Awesome! Evil Genius is one of the most criminally underrated strategy management games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It's ridiculous the amount of time I sunk in to that game.  

News Comments > Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon
5. Re: Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon Jul 3, 2017, 08:22 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 00:15:
Gotta agree, but if we ever get something that tops Stellaris it's probably gonna be Stellaris 2.... doesn't seem like any other developer is even trying.

Imo only way random tech tree could ever work is if it meant random tech templates. Aka, hand crafted tech trees of which there are a few randomly chosen which allow ye to have species with proper flavor. It's one of these things that bugs me about Stellaris extremely, Hive mind, building capitals and factories... organic ship built from... minerals????

I think they said they wanna extend the race unique stuff at some point, so we'll see

I think what also makes Stellaris great is the massive amount of mods for it and, quite frankly, how bloody easy it is to mod it. Look at Star Trek New Horizons. It's a TC and the fact that Stellaris allows you to rip out nearly everything but the base framework and still run is kinda mind blowing.

You have a point with Hive mind and organic but that could easily be solved by saying that unless you are actively taking over planets, you aren't growing new ships. That organic matter has to come from somewhere and given the Hive's automatic xeno purge mechanic...I'll let you deduce the rest.

I do think PI is trying to go for flavor with Ascendancy Points. The biggest path that stands out is the Robotic/Genetic Engineer/Psionics decision after your third AP pick. Stellaris really needs more AP choices like that. They need to balance them more, obviously, because the psionic choice doesn't really add much if you're an expansionist warmonger like me.

News Comments > Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon
3. Re: Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon Jul 2, 2017, 23:29 Burrito of Peace

"Random tech trees"? Pass. That all but insures that ship designs will be useless from game to game. Also, that UI is fuuuuuuuuugly. It looks like it crawled out of an alpha 4X from 1993.

I admit that Stellaris has spoiled me. It's the only 4X game that hits everything right for my tastes. I really have no interest in looking at anything else unless it significantly tops Stellaris.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2017, 11:39 Burrito of Peace

That's a bummer about Lexar. They were always my go-to option for USB sticks as they were reliable and quick.The P2 series in particular have always been badass.  

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
17. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jun 27, 2017, 16:08 Burrito of Peace

Quinn wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 15:23:
When there's something wrong in your neighborhood, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA CALL!? Have some fucking respect.

Certainly not the police with their >30 minute response time. I will, however, certainly use my pistol to defend myself, my family, my neighbors, or the property of anyone thereof. Afterwards, I'll call 911, report the incident and then calmly wait to process through the aftermath.

As NKD said, even the police will tell you not to rely upon them for protection. They are not a protective entity, they are an enforcement entity. Those are two vastly different things.

Now, I know you have your ass hairs are in a bunch so I am probably but just pissing against the wind with this response. My attitude of never trusting the cops comes not from "brainwashing" but from the advice of members of my family who are or were police themselves. Further, respect is earned. So if you want to fawn over and kowtow to people that haven't earned respect, that's your personal choice. I think it shows a rather unfortunate lack of self-respect but that's on the person making the choice.

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
9. removed Jun 27, 2017, 12:54 Burrito of Peace

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 28, 2017, 08:08.

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2017, 08:23 Burrito of Peace

Slashman wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 00:03:
Assuming that's true, who was in charge?

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 03:10:
Really? Can you explain? Erin has been a fixture in the games industry for a couple decades now, and pretty successful. He's in change of SQ 42, and that's why I have confidence that it's going to come out okay.

Sure. Please remember that this was 15 years ago, though. At the time, I was initially working on Brute Force and Freelancer was on the other side of the offices. Chris Roberts was in England and Erin Roberts was running from pillar to post between both projects.

The feeling I got was that Erin Roberts was in way, way over his head. In hindsight it was very clear that he had had little to no project management experience previously. In both titles, there was some "A...no B! No...A+B...wait...back to A!" through a significant portion of development. On the Freelancer side, things didn't start to congeal until Adam Foshko and Jorg Neumann stepped in and took over the reigns. By that time, it felt more like salvaging a product to ship than actual development. Phil (who's last name I cannot remember) was supposed to be the producer but it really seemed he got squeezed out by the Roberts brothers.

There were a ton of things cut that were initially planned and while that is true of most games, these were things that were supposed to make Freelancer stand out from Privateer. Ship to ship docking, EVA traversal between the PC ship and derelict ships that were found to salvage (the ones you would later find in-game that you just shot to get them to drop their rare weapons/cargo), the Nomad systems were supposed to be a lot more "alive" with the final battle actually being fought against the whole structure as a sentient creature and not just a static art piece with some turrets and flexing buttholes, the player was supposed to find the Hispania and some of its people, there was at least an alpha version with super crappy sync issues, where you and a friend could co-pilot larger vessels with one person piloting and the other running the turrets, and I am sure more that I am missing/not remembering at 0700 with no caffeine.

The above were all cut because of poor project management. There was simply not enough manhours and milestone management to ensure that Freelancer lived up to 80% of its touted features and experience.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 22:00 Burrito of Peace

As someone who worked on Freelancer, I find that mention of the title funny.

Chris Roberts didn't fuck it up, Erin Roberts did.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 23, 2017, 09:36 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 20:00:
Hope they brought some Simulator games for Merkel, Germans love those.

I bet Prison Architect would be a huge hit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 Burrito of Peace

This generation has pretty much guaranteed that I am going to be building an all AMD system. Prices, Intel's chipset/CPU fuckery, the mobo manufacturers having to rush boards to market because Intel jumped the gun on their own announcement, and Nvidia's problematic approach to Linux*.

*Which I am aware few people on this site give a shit about but since I use Linux for 90% of my usage, I do.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 20, 2017, 22:12 Burrito of Peace

This is the same guy behind Zero Sum Games, who fucked over buyers of both Star Drive and Star Drive 2 by just randomly dropping support and not addressing bugs that had been open since release. Just FYI.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Delays Xen Again
9. Re: Black Mesa Delays Xen Again Jun 20, 2017, 16:38 Burrito of Peace

wtf_man wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 15:45:
...which a lot of folks also poo-poo.

Probably because most people are full of shit.

News Comments > Black Mesa Delays Xen Again
2. Re: Black Mesa Delays Xen Again Jun 20, 2017, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

Bored <-This is my shocked face.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
29. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

For me, GTAV was one of the most boring games I have ever played. All the characters were unlikable and I found the story boring as Hell. Not even the much vaunted torture scene moved my EQ needle at all. It does not matter to me how technically awesome something is if it is not engaging.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2017, 19:33 Burrito of Peace

RenownWolf wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 13:22:
I only realised it was Vir because of the stories section... maybe I am not old enough as I had never heard of Animal House.

You're not missing anything. It's one of those movies that you're told "YOU TOTALLY HAVE TO WATCH IT BECAUSE IT'S SOOO FUNNY" and then you watch it and realize the world, culture, and society have moved on since then and what you're watching is a bunch of people acting like assholes.

RIP Moon Faced Assassin of Joy.

2592 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo