Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2773 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 19, 2018, 14:11 Burrito of Peace

Darks wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 12:58:
Dell Optiplex 790's and 7010 series of Pcs all suffer from this. An those PCs are not that old, about 4 years old.

I can't speak for the 790s but the 7010s have no problem running Win10 Enterprise. We just went through a six month validation program that covered the 7050s to the 7010s. For the 7010 drivers, the few that don't come bundled in build 1709, just snag the Dell driver cab and they're in there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
14. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 15, 2018, 00:05 Burrito of Peace

Does anyone know if they bought the Nexus IP?

I'd love to see another Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

News Comments > New Paradox CEO
19. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 22:24 Burrito of Peace

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 17:21:
I'm not sure this is entirely true. From what I recall, early dev diaries for the patch and DLC talked about two soon-to-disappear (unless you use Steam's beta feature) FTL systems were getting tossed because it would allow the rest of the game's development to progress meaningfully.

Based on the feedback they received on /r/Stellaris and the Paradox forums. One of the major gripes was lack of strategy on the galactic map and the inability to create and hold chokepoints. Wiz addressed this in a tweet a bit ago, IIRC.

14. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 16:51 Burrito of Peace

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:49:
See, I don't get that sentiment AT ALL. What exactly is "awesome" about a piecemeal delivery? What is awesome about getting game mechanics delivered YEARS later that should have been (and were most likely planned to be) in the game from the start?

Because they weren't and, instead, are the direct result of player feedback. The new Cherryh update that completely revamps the galaxy map and how traversing that map works? We, the players, largely asked for it. Unless you forced the game to only allow hyperlanes, for example, any race with warp or jump drives was going to bludgeon you to death. If you were a wormhole race, you might as well be just playing the single system challenge.

This may come as a complete and total shock to you, but what works in playtesting in a small group doesn't necessarily work for your audience on release. MMOs, for example, go through major mechanics, powers, and even race changes several times through their lifespans. Whether those are improvements or not is entirely subjective.

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:49:
I don't get it... they have successfully brainwashed people into thinking they are getting a service (GaaS) with these essential DLCs while in reality the consumer sheeple are getting fleeced, milked and shat on.

You're right, you don't get it. There are no "essential" DLCs in Stellaris. Zero. You are not required in any way to purchase any DLC to get the QoL patches. Those are 100% free. They always have been and, according to both Wiz and Paradox, they always will be. In point of fact, you can synthesize nearly the same experience of DLCs with mods to very near parity. So essentially what you are doing is setting up a strawman argument so you can knock it down and rail about something you have generously demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about.

9. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 15:01 Burrito of Peace

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 13:54:
Those of us that actually play Paradox games (not Cutter) know this to be true... I'd much rather pay for a few CK2 DLC throughout the year rather than pay for a new version every year like the Madden/NHL franchises do.

I'm a huge Stellaris fan and I am absolutely OK with their DLC policy regarding the game. I'd much rather support them continuing to develop for and support a game that I have more than 1500 hours in. The fact that all of the game mechanics changes are included in free QoL patches is awesome.

News Comments > Deep Sixed Released
2. Re: Deep Sixed Released Feb 13, 2018, 06:03 Burrito of Peace

I see a lot of influence from Protostar and Sundog in there.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Why Linux is better than Windows or macOS for security Feb 10, 2018, 22:55 Burrito of Peace

Choobeastia wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 19:56:
There is a portion of me that wants to get on board with Linux, but the community has kept me away.

I think it depends on the community and where you're asking. For example, Archtards are notorious assholes and will just endlessly point you to the, at times, hilariously out of date Arch Wiki as if that solves all problems. I've tried pretty much every distro from the days of Slackware in the mid-90s to every major, modern distro there is. I generally find the Fedora people to be quite helpful and their IRC channel help is also really good from my own experience.

I don't know everything there is to know about Linux but I help out where I can and to the best of my ability, even here on BN. Most recently, I introduced Verno to PCI Passthrough so he could enjoy Linux and still play his Windows only based games.

So, I think community is what people make of it. The Linux Mint community is ridiculously friendly to newcomers, for example. I've seen whole posts written as a step by step guide to help other Mint users get some of the most esoteric hardware I've never heard about working under Mint.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
4. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 10, 2018, 14:35 Burrito of Peace

Ugh, that Cyberpunk "commercial" was bullshit and that chick needs a gag.

Absolute "non-news" about Cyberpunk 2077.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Why Linux is better than Windows or macOS for security Feb 10, 2018, 14:30 Burrito of Peace

Brought to you by No-Shit Sherlock and Captain Obvious.

That is one of the many, many reasons I choose to use Linux. That and we get fixes much faster than Microsoft or Apple pushes out to their userbase. Also, free improvements to our favorite software for which we don't have to buy "versions" to receive.

Linux isn't for everyone, certainly, and that should be carefully considered.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 10, 2018, 14:22 Burrito of Peace

Were it a Russian, I am sure Drumpf would have been there to push it back in with his tongue.  

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
5. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 12:56 Burrito of Peace

Maybe he's going to resurrect Troika!  

News Comments > Dawn of War 3 Sets
2. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 10:51 Burrito of Peace

How about going back to the Dark Crusade game mechanics and expand them. Instead of just one world, we go from world to world.

I hated what they did with DoW 2 and 3. I wonder how well DoW 1 and DoW:DC sold in comparison to 2 and 3.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse-Cloverfield Feb 5, 2018, 12:35 Burrito of Peace

Just finished watching the Cloverfield Paradox an hour ago. If I ever wondered what it felt like to have a jackhammer go at my nuts for an hour and forty two minutes...now I know. Holy hell was that absolutely excrebale!

Now, Altered Carbon on the other hand, that is a badass show. Binge watching the shit out of it between server migrations and it is phenomenal.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
9. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 22:39 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 19:03:
X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.

I am a fan of the X series and, as I have said to you before, Rebirth is absolute and total dogshit. It is a fucking terrible game. If you're expecting X4 to be anything like Rebirth then I am very, very happy that you'll be disappointed.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2018, 22:32 Burrito of Peace

Mega Sportsball is over...and the commercials were downright boring.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
3. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:32 Burrito of Peace

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Chieftain.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 2, 2018, 08:14 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 21:11:
I always enjoy the backblaze hdd failure rates, it's the nerd in me.

Likewise and, unsurprisingly, Seagate is the failure rate leader. This is, what, their third or fourth year in a row?

HGST FTW!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2018, 12:46 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 11:42:
You ain't been properly cleaned out until you've eaten at GM Steakhouse on the drag (Guadalupe). {wink}

I luckily dodged that bullet. Had a co-worker at Dell come down with a terrible bout of food poisoning from eating at the Sixth and Lamar location (just after they moved off the Drag). Decided that was probably a place that I would want to skip!

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2018, 17:25.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2018, 11:15 Burrito of Peace

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 10:36:
After having eaten there a few times, I put Smash Burger in the category of "Trying too hard." They just couldn't figure out how to get "it", like Five Guys did.

Five Guys figured out how to give me diarrhea every time I ate there so I don't eat there anymore.

In-n-Out is awesome. Mighty Fine is pretty good while P Terry's is overrated garbage.

Best place I've ever had a burger was this little shack called "Backporch Burgers". They where phenomenal. Guy's name was Dave and he had a little flamebroiler that was tuned to perfection. His beef mix had veal in it. Each single patty was a pound and all his buns were baked by a local bakery and delivered each morning. He easily sold out by 2 each day. His wife was an absolute sweetheart who took orders, ran the cash register, served drinks, etc. Unfortunately, she was stricken with cancer and passed away at the ripe old age of 39. Backporch closed and never reopened.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 31, 2018, 11:58 Burrito of Peace

I have to agree. I have a Note 8 and Bixby is terrible. I wish I could just fully uninstall it.  

2773 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo