Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2447 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided A Criminal Past Next Month
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided A Criminal Past Next Month Jan 24, 2017, 11:42 Burrito of Peace

I couldn't finish this game. It just became boring and I got disinterested.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Steam Quietly Adds the Ability to Move Game Install Folders. Jan 20, 2017, 23:32 Burrito of Peace

OK, but can I finally put my Steam directory on a network drive (not a share, but an actually mapped network drive)?  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 13:48 Burrito of Peace

I have zero fucks to give about Half-Life 3. Half-Life 1 & 2 were great for their day but the expectation level for 3 has risen to the point that it can never be fulfilled.

A new Portal would be interesting so long as they kept the humor and puzzles intact.

As for VR, VR is a nascent industry with several problems and obstacles to overcome before it becomes a commodity item. While VR headsets have a near universal fit, they do not have a universal fit. VR headesets have to fit everybody's face, including those whom wear glasses, comfortably or its an immediate non-starter as an industry wide standard. It also has to settle on a platform standard. Right now, there's the Oculus Rift, Vive, and a handful of other "also ran" products. They are not interchangeable. Contrast with monitors which are. I can slam a Dell, Samsung, Acer, Asus, BenQ or other monitor on my desk, plug it in to my graphics port and it works without needing a separate supported platform for each..

VR might be a commodity item in a decade but not sooner, no matter what the fanboys bleat to the contrary. It is a niche product for a niche market.

News Comments > Has-Been Heroes Announced
3. Re: Has-Been Heroes Announced Jan 14, 2017, 00:05 Burrito of Peace

"...rougelike..."

DRINK!

News Comments > Conan Exiles Server and Mod Support Details
7. Re: Conan Exiles Server and Mod Support Details Jan 13, 2017, 20:11 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 16:46:
Right, this from a company too lazy to even specify the AMD requirements.

Few really give a shit about "also ran" products.

On topic, I wonder if this is a Windows only "server" application or is it a binary that can be run on a Linux box as well?

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2017, 20:25.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2017, 06:52 Burrito of Peace

Redmask wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 06:03:
Why should they stop trying exactly? How would that be better for you and I having less competition and innovation in the market?

Nintendo would first have to compete with the other two and actually innovate for that statement to be true.

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
34. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 06:44 Burrito of Peace

Slick wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 02:08:
Wait, are you telling us that you're running 3x2 monitors? you have 6 monitors? 6 monitors have you?

That would be correct. While this machine is not specifically for gaming, I do use it to game on. When I am using it for its intended purpose, all six of those monitors are heavily utilized.

Slick wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 02:08:
Either Ubuntu or RedHat. But it's been nothing but headaches, every update is like 2-3 days of troubleshooting just to get the damned computer to boot. It's ridiculous.

I'm going to guess it's probably Ubuntu since RHEL is nothing if not stable as a rock. That's Ubuntu's fault, not Linux in general's fault.

16. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 11, 2017, 22:50 Burrito of Peace

Slick wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:12:
i'm sure the solution of VMing windows to play game will fix the issue of "horrific performance".

Setup your iommu groups correctly, utilize VT-d, provide the VM with enough memory and cores and you have very near native performance. Using passthrough, you get very, very little in the way of a performance hit. Here's a rather extreme example of it using unrAID.

Slick wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:12:
also, what horrific performance? care to specify? have not noticed any perf degradation.

On my 3x2 setup, I have noticed a marked increase in screen flicker that doesn't happen on my Linux installation on the same box. I'm also starting to notice micro-stutters that were not previously there (again, doesn't happen on the Linux side). In particular, I noticed while playing Stellaris that there were huge dips in the FPS especially in the middle of my war with a friend where we're throwing multiple 100k fleets at each other in different systems simultaneously. Put the game in to windowed mode on a single screen, problems go away. He's got a 2x2 setup and is also experiencing similar issues after the update and dropping the game on to a single screen fixes the issue for him as well.

As I play Stellaris MP quite a bit on massive galaxies, it's kind of problem for me. Until this shit gets sorted, I'll just download the Linux client and play it from there.

5. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 11, 2017, 19:40 Burrito of Peace

It sure as shit stinks does break multi-monitor setups plus cause horrific performance!

I'm about half a second away from saying "Fuck this" and just making Linux my base OS and doing Windows as a VM with VGA passthrough for the few games I play that do not have a Linux client.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 9, 2017, 13:08 Burrito of Peace

I'd really like it if Windows 10 would let me optout of having it constantly resetting my UAC settings and local policies.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2017, 09:30 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 02:01:
Also, why do you hate ponies

Because of bronies, fucking creepers. There is only one cure.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 17:52 Burrito of Peace

Heathens.

The only proper hot drink is tea.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 5, 2017, 16:20 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 15:31:
I wish these NAS tests were done a bit more professionally.

You might like this site.

13. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 5, 2017, 15:45 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:29:
AMD is not about to release an 8 core cpu (or any # of cores for that matter) that bests or matches a comparable Intel cpu for a significantly cheaper price. Anyone that thinks that will happen is fooling themselves.

AMD cannot afford to do otherwise if it wishes to grow its marketshare. Outside of cheapskates and fanboys, no one buys an AMD processor. The only way AMD can regain public trust AND marketshare is to get their product in to the hands of as many people as possible. Right now, no one outside of the aforementioned two subgroups is going to pick an AMD product over an Intel product.

People still remember the shitshow that was Bulldozer and their much hyped Polaris cards were also ran, middle of the road cards compared to Nvidia's offerings. Even when compared to Nvidia's previous generation which was released a year previously.

Thus, the only thing AMD can do is compete on price. It's their only in to the market at this point besides their OEM sales to Sony and Microsoft.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 15:25 Burrito of Peace

I'm just hoping for a Note 8. I love my Note 3 but it is loooooooong in the tooth.  

10. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 5, 2017, 10:43 Burrito of Peace

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 14:29:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:05:
The Intel Core i7-7700K is what happens when a chip company stops trying.

lol.. AMD better not fuck this up

Exactly. I have been interested in Zen/Ryzen for sometime due to AMD's commitment to bringing a cost effective 8 core CPU to the masses. They have a golden opportunity here to win in a big way on both price and capability.

Uh.. AMD has been putting out "cost-effective 8 core CPU's" for over half a decade now, the problem is their single core performance has been abysmal while Intel's skyrocketed (until they had no competition and kind of hit a plateau). I'm more interested in their recent commitment to IPC performance and getting their individual cores up to the level that Intel has, while maintaining a competitive price point. This is what will save AMD. Simply churning out "cost effective 8 core CPU's" is what got them into this position.

Cost effective also includes performance. If something is cheap but performs like dogshit, it's not cost effective.

5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 4, 2017, 14:29 Burrito of Peace

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:05:
The Intel Core i7-7700K is what happens when a chip company stops trying.

lol.. AMD better not fuck this up

Exactly. I have been interested in Zen/Ryzen for sometime due to AMD's commitment to bringing a cost effective 8 core CPU to the masses. They have a golden opportunity here to win in a big way on both price and capability.

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 4, 2017, 12:12 Burrito of Peace

Let's play "Spot when the review embargo has been lifted"!  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 4, 2017, 09:24 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 07:28:
But everyone here says Black Flag is different and fun...

Black Flag is the best of the lot, so far, in my opinion. Pirates = awesome, fun, and win.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2017, 22:52 Burrito of Peace

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 22:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 22:17:
So I guess her kids are left without a mother or a father.

What do you mean by your comment exactly?

Black...err...gallows humor.

2447 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo