Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2677 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 14:56 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:11:
The 2011 (re)remake isn't bad per se but the introduction of a female character ruins a lot of the alpha male tension and paranoia which made Carpenters so excellent. It's serviceable but not really good.

It's a prequel, not a remake. It's what happened before the opening of the original where the Norwegians are shooting at the dog.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

A "killer" VR app would be something along the lines of the openness of Skyrim or Fallout with the depth content of The Witcher series. Every VR demo I have tried is limited in scope.  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released
1. Re: The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Released Nov 10, 2017, 18:56 Burrito of Peace

Cats and dogs, living together...mass hysteria!  

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Peels Out
8. Re: Need for Speed Payback Peels Out Nov 10, 2017, 17:11 Burrito of Peace

SlimRam wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 16:24:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 14:05:
Midnight Club: LA was made what year and ran on shitty xbox 360 hardware, mops the floor with this game.
Heh, LOVED Midnight Club LA!! That game made you feel like you were going waaaaay too damn fast It was SO GODDAMN unforgiving but I played the hell out of that game!

Another vote for MC:LA being one of the greatest racers ever. Drifting around corners in that game just felt...right. Still fire up the old 360 to play it now and again.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 07:08 Burrito of Peace

When I was a kid, I loved Star Wars. As an adult, the only one that I find watchable is The Empire Strikes Back and that is largely due to the efforts of Irvin Kershner. It is by far heads and shoulders above everything else in that series.

I think what Disney fails to realize is that what made the original trilogy so popular at its initial release has become commonplace on TV today. Epic sci fi, awesome special effects, and overarching story arcs that don't have to be resolved in 30 minutes or less can now be found outside the efforts of a movie studio. The Expanse immediately springs to my mind and I find that to be a superior product to anything Star Wars has done in the last 30 years.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

So the Intel news is a bit interesting. Intel is also competing heavily against Nvidia right now in several different market spaces. What Intel has that AMD does not is both money and R&D resources to take Nvidia on in both the enterprise sector and consumer sector.

If they, Intel, were to reach parity with Nvidia in the consumer graphics card arena (and I grant that is a big ask), I would probably switch. I am a Linux user and Intel is phenomenal in their support of Linux in terms of drivers and development. Intel also has its own performance oriented Linux distro called Clear, for those that do not know. Moreover, Intel owns a fairly decent sized chunk of Red Hat.

It'll be interesting to see in the next 2-5 years.

News Comments > GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics
6. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

Snagged all three, loved them back in the day. Especially Rise of the Dragon.  

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
37. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 23:38 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:13:
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does anything else - why people care about the brand rather than the price point.

Because feature set is more important than price to some of us. For example, IPC numbers are about 9th on my 10 reasons for buying a CPU. #1 is core count and #2 is multithreaded performance followed by #3 which is how much memory can I stuff in to a board without resorting to going to a server class system. Next comes IOMMU groups and virtualization support.

There are also other concerns as well. IME should be a very large concern to most people, especially with the revelation that it has a webserver in it. But it isn't because "MAH GAMEZ" is more important to people than having not just services and OSes calling home and transmitting data about you but now your hardware is, too. That should be a giant red flag to anyone who gives a shit about actually owning their hardware. Alas, it isn't because "MAH GAMEZ", "MAH FACEBOOK", and "MAH TWITTER".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2017, 11:10 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:13:
I liked Stranger Things 2. Not quite as good as the first season, but still a highly tense and very enjoyable show. Very much looking forward to a third season (please, Netflix?)

Agreed but there was one thing that bothered me (spoilers ahead)...THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS KILLED OFF BOB! Bob was a REALLY likable character. They should have killed off Billy. Fuck that guy.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 2, 2017, 15:42 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 09:07:
Razer makes decent mice but their other products are awful, I can't imagine giving them $700 for a phone.

I have two 3 month old Razr Deathaddr Chroma mice with the left click problem that Razr flatly refuses to acknowledge and their support denies exists. They can go fuck themselves with a nail studded bat wrapped in rusty barbed wire.

Meanwhile, my crusty, ancient MX518 from Logitech keeps chugging right along.

News Comments > Morning Patches
8. Re: Morning Patches Nov 2, 2017, 15:37 Burrito of Peace

Still no fix for surround sound headsets but, by God, we have a shitload of Photo Mode fixes!  

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
27. Re: Descent Underground Next Year Nov 2, 2017, 07:59 Burrito of Peace

Fuck it, I am going to threadjack this and make it about turtles.

Turtles are all kinds of awesome and, in some very unique cases, can turn out to be ninjas.

The only thing better than a ninja turtle? A pirate turtle because pirates destroy ninjas seven times before breakfast.

Come at me bro

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
22. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 07:51 Burrito of Peace

Ironically, I have found my biggest performance problems are in the cutscenes. However, if I move the left thumbstick (which normally pans the camera in game), they immediately go away.

However, what is the most annoying problem by far, is that I have zero spoken audio during cutscenes when I use my headset UNLESS the characters are in a room where echo effects are enabled. Then I can hear them as an echo. Ubi says they are "aware of the problem" but how do you miss something like that?

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 10:27 Burrito of Peace

I have had a problem for a while and that is that games are less and less interesting to me. Part of that is because of the heavier focus on multiplayer. I have zero interest in playing with other people and their bizarre idiosyncrasies when I have to deal with their bullshit professionally.

These days, I'd rather be left the fuck alone to play Stellaris or KSP instead. I'm interested in being part of a community on my terms instead of being forced in to one just to get the full value of something I have purchased...excuse me..."licensed".

I think NKD hit it on the head when he said SP games will continue as indie titles and Kickstarter campaigns. And that's perfectly fine with me. I'm a lot more interested in helping realize someone's passion and vision for a game they care deeply about than Ubisoft's or EA's latest "Yearly Sales Generator #337".

News Comments > Computer Tycoon Early Access
1. Re: Computer Tycoon Early Access Oct 19, 2017, 09:26 Burrito of Peace

This is not a bad little game. Still very much EA and therefore rough but it has potential. It's only $10USD.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 16, 2017, 09:03 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 14:36:
Time for laws to catch up with technology?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're serious? Don't you know laws in the States aren't for the little people like, say, citizens, and instead solely exist for the enrichment of companies while simultaneously reducing their liability and risk?

/s

News Comments > Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel
10. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 09:05 Burrito of Peace

UQM is awesome. I play it at least once a year. Glad they have a Linux version so I can do so. There was an HD "remake" of UQM as well that is pretty awesome.  

8. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 06:51 Burrito of Peace

Oh cool! Thanks for the info, Dev!  

1. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:12 Burrito of Peace

I have more faith in this than I do Stardock's efforts and I am sure that this is going to get shutdown fast unless they are basing it on the 3D0 version that was open sourced a long time ago.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 6, 2017, 00:56 Burrito of Peace

These are surprisingly mild system requirements which is laudable.

I've been playing Syndicate for the first time the last couple of weeks and it's...ok. Black Flag is still the current pinnacle of the series.

2677 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo