Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2847 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 13:29 Burrito of Peace

Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Blue. Mrs. Burrito and I have been married for 15 years. Another 7 doesn't seem like a stretch.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 13:14 Burrito of Peace

Yeah, great, performance improvements but what about heat and power improvement?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Apr 24, 2018, 21:33 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 18:32:
I mean, Alec Meer opens by saying he loves TBS games, and has endless hours in games like Civ and XCOM. So "stick to CS:GO" seems kind of incorrect, no?

No. He allegedly loves TBS games but compares two dissimilar games with wildly differing mechanics and then complains that one is not like the other. Then he goes on to bitch about things that are entirely in his control to resolve but doesn't. Instead, he bitches about it which belies that he hasn't even so much as given a cursory playthrough a go yet. That would be like me bitching that Stellaris doesn't act like Homeworld because the mechanics are different while also making a blanket claim that I love the RTS genre.

Then he makes statements like "A BattleTech battle feels like that from the first turn of each battle. The scales are tipped massively, maddeningly in favour of watching rather than acting here." Are we even playing the same game? Because I did a lot more interacting than I ever did watching anything except for maybe the flavor cutscenes. Unless the RNG gods were very, very angry, your pilots and Mechs will all have differing initiative values so, outside of when it's your opponent's turn, you're constantly either moving your Mechs, issuing commands, or setting up for your next round.

So, in essence, this guy obviously really hasn't spent a lot of time with the game and is whining that it doesn't have the exact same game mechanics as his favorite TBS game.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Apr 24, 2018, 18:23 Burrito of Peace

OK, I've put in two hours so far and here is my initial impression:

1. The "mandatory" login claim is bullshit. I have not logged in at all and yet I am on my third mission.
2. The cinematic cameras can be completely disabled. It's literally as simple as going to Options -> Gameplay and sliding them all to "Never".
3. Load times must be a subjective thing. Loading in to a mission takes 20-30 seconds on a 7200RPM spinning rust drive. Hardly what I would personally call "long".
4. HBS has always been upfront about the fact that this game would be a TBS game...just like the real world version of Battletech. Battletech and MechWarrior, while sharing the same universe, are not the same game. Anyone who conflates them and ignores the statements and videos released by the developer is working with an IQ that barely matches the ambient room temperature.
5. Because it is a TBS game following (mostly) the tabletop rules of Battletech, the playability is perfect. You go through your phases and turns as anyone familiar with Battletech would expect.
6. The graphics are serviceable for what needs to be conveyed. It's able to be played from fairly old GPUs all the way up to the Vega 64 or 1080Ti. This, in my opinion, is a good thing.
7. The AI is brutal. Not that it cheats, it just actually uses tactics instead of standing there serving as your punching bag during your powertrip fantasy. I have yet to complete a mission without sustaining some damage. However, I never outright failed a mission and I found myself having to change and evolve my tactics on the fly throughout each mission. I've been surprised a couple of times at what the AI has pulled off and once yelled "Holy shit! I think I'm fucked!" That was actually a really pleasant experience.
8. The writing could use a bit of love. Right now, it somewhat reads like a Young Adult level of writing where moving it up in the age bracket would, I think, give a bit more gravitas and maturity to the situation.
9. Although it could be my headphones and I tried two different sets, the sound is a bit bass heavy and sounds a touch distorted. I expect Mech footfalls to rumble and weapons to have punch, which they do, but it sounds like the audio files were just a touch overcompressed. A minor gripe and it may just be me.
10. Do you like pretending you have fat bank rolls and can buy any Mech you want and outfit it however you want from your very first non-tutorial mission? If so, skip this game. You will be juggling your resources heavily because money will always be tight. The less damage you take during a mission, the more your payout turns in to profit. The more you take, the more your payout turns in to operating costs. Learn and accept the fact that you will never, ever make it out of a mission without taking damage. That's the nature of the game and it was true on the tabletop version.

All in all, I really do like the game and I have zero regrets backing it. I have zero interest in multiplayer so I can't give an impression on it. I think the people who are whining about playability like Alec Meer don't get that Battletech isn't a game of damage and numbers, it's a tactics and strategy game through and through built around slow, lumbering, upright weapons of doom. If max damage and min-maxing numbers is your thing, stick to CS:GO and MOBAs because this game certainly is not for you.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Apr 24, 2018, 09:16 Burrito of Peace

Latest inductee in to the secret Balls and Shaft Society.  

News Comments > Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced
6. Re: Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced Apr 23, 2018, 12:53 Burrito of Peace

This announcement is really tone deaf in light of the current state of the game. 2.0.3 broke many mechanics in the game so they rolled back to 2.0.2 but that didn't resolve all of the introduced bugs. 2.0.4 is due "some time soon" yet they're not being especially forthcoming as to when "some time soon" is. Just that it is in beta.  

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
5. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 10:47 Burrito of Peace

So all that means is that, for Australia, Valve will just raise prices to cover the fine which is probably less than a day's worth of net profit for them. They'll do that to cover both this fine and any subsequent fines as they have no intentions of changing their business practices.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 23:56:
Interesting BoP. Was any theory put forth as to what might be causing your alpha waves to stay flat? The low levels of a particular enzyme or something perhaps? Or were you given the infamous shrug?

The prevailing opinion is that it is probably a genetic inheritance on the paternal side. My father remembers my grandfather having similar sleeping patterns as I do and he, my father, has insomnia as well though to a lesser intensity than I do.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 02:49:
Uh, before you decide to do that, you might want to watch this documentary.

That was entirely the reason why I said that.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 23:46 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 22:43:
BoP, you ever been to a shrink to get training something like mindfulness or cognitive behavior therapy? I know those techniques are good for learning how to switch off the amygdala - which is the main problem for all manner of conditions. Quick search shows that there are specific programs setup for insomnia. Ever use magnesium and/or melatonin? That always works like a charm for me when I have trouble sleeping.

Yep. Magnesium and melatonin have zero effect on me. Went through psychotherapy in my mid to late 20s and it did not help because of the neurological activity of my brain.

I'll try to explain this in layman's terms with some generalization and simplification:

For the average person, your beta and gamma waves are at their highest state when you are awake. They control and process your active cognitive functions and do things like experience and record stimuli, focus on a difficult task, make decisions, etc. When you begin the process of going to sleep, your alpha waves help the transition as gamma and beta begin to decline and theta waves, which drop you in to unconsciousness, begin to rise and lead to an increase in delta waves. Delta waves occur when you are in the deepest state of slumber and are generally the cause of your dreams as they somewhat piggyback off of gamma and beta.

In my particular case, my problem lies with the alpha wave graph. Without some sort of assistance, my graph remains mostly flat with gamma and beta still very highly active. Because of that, the theta waves aren't brought up to correct levels because my brain hasn't received the signal yet that we're going for a partial shutdown. Thus my wakefulness. Where cannabis comes in is that it stimulates the brain in to higher alpha wave production. That's why on a really good high you get that hazy, dreamy feeling. If you elect to avoid cannabis, your alternatives are depressants and sedatives. I tried the depressants early on and, while they worked to some degree, they radically changed my personality. To the point where I lost interest in things that those closest to me know are deep passions of mine. I stopped writing, I stopped working on my project cars, etc. I went from being active to I'll throw the ball for the dog for a couple of minutes, then stare out over the fields, and completely lose interest in what I was doing. I also became comically forgetful. Someone would tell me something and I would forget it within a very short amount of time. I've already mentioned my experiences with sedatives.

For me, cannabis hits the sweet spot where it elevates my alpha waves high enough to override theta and beta without the side effects of pharmaceuticals.

A fun side effect is that the high gamma and beta wave activity also has given me the ability to remember every dream I have ever had in precise detail. Another fun side effect is that caffeine has almost no effect on me whatsoever.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2018, 08:53.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 20:58 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 18:54:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 17:22:
on my fourth or more day of no sleep
As a person who stayed at a holiday inn once I recommend smoking every night or "pro re nata" p.r.n. I'd think that not sleeping for days on end would be much much much much much worse than an evening toke.

Those are just the really long jags of sleeplessness. My record is 8 days sans sleep. You bet that earned me a trip to the hospital but that was pre-cannabis use. My "normal" insomnia is just a shortened sleep cycle. A good night's sleep for me is, on average, about 4 hours.

After long talks with my physician, we're limiting usage to just the long jags. There's not enough factual studies without an agenda attached that would provide us with information for nightly use/long term use. On the flip side, chronic insomnia does mean that I am at a much higher risk for dementia or Alzheimer's. However, I have a plan for that. If I get a confirmed, multi-opinion diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's, I am going to buy a ticket to Alaska. There, I will go to where there are bears. Angry, ornery bears in all hope. Then I will strip naked and get in to a fight with one or more bears. Go out with dignity and as my ancestors did. A manly death, one worthy of song in the mead halls.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 13:10:
Retired wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:53:
RAWR (insert illegal drug here) is good! ADVIL BAD!
Only on BN.
Are you referring to the mention of smoking a bowl yesterday as the "illegal drug". Do you actually believe what you post?

Only in a pigs world.

I would assume so and, since I posted it, I'll respond.

I know that this is very, very hard for people who live in a monochromatic world to understand but there are states where *gasp* cannabis is legally and openly sold. I'll wait a moment for the pearl clutching to die down.

Moreover, just because something is "illegal" doesn't inherently make it amoral and unethical. Likewise, just because something is "legal" doesn't make it moral and ethical. Case in point: the opioid problem we face in the US which is out of control as they were, until very recently, handed out like candy.

The plural of anecdote is not data and I am certainly not going to tell you that cannabis is the cureall for everything from hangnails to AIDS. It isn't. I can only relate my experience and opinion on the subject. I have had crippling chronic insomnia since puberty struck. I am 40 now. For 25 years, I tried every home remedy, wives tale, homeopathic concoction, and prescription drug known to man. With the exception of heavy sedatives usually reserved to placate violent mental patients, nothing works because my brain just can't calm the fuck down and let me sleep. If I do take those heavy sedatives, I'm a drooling zombie for 48-72 hours. You know what puts me out like a baby and allows me to wake up 6-7 hours later with no side effects? Cannabis. Would you like to know what my physician and my neurologist have said about using cannabis to help me sleep? They're all for it with the stipulation, primarily from my physician, that I don't smoke a bowl every night which I do not. I reserve it solely for when I haven't slept at all for 4+ days.

"Oh but Burrito, you mentioned it in the last thread because of pain and now you're talking about insomnia. Those two aren't in any way related!"

Then, by all means, let's get to my second anecdote. When I was 25, an incident occurred that caused extensive damage to my lower back. I am talking requiring a metal cage to repair my spine and having enough staples holding me together to qualify me for induction in to the Bostich Hall of Fame. I have an allergy to opioids that cause me to be violently sick. The Exorcist levels of sick. So there I am, two days out of the hospital, and in so much pain that I can't even do so much as move my legs without my field of vision turning white. The old man comes by for a visit and asks me how I'm doing. I'm honest with him so he rolls me out on the back porch and helps me in to one of our massive Adirondack rockets. He pulls out from his breast pocket a baggie of Thai sticks. One of the most surreal experiences was smoking with my old man, a man who is incredibly straight laced, and it was my first time ever smoking cannabis. However, the important part is that for the first time since I awoke from the operation I was not in any pain. I could even shuffle my feet a little which was awesome. He kept me supplied on his own dime until the point where I could ween off and start using a muscle relaxer.

My third anecdote, related to the second, is my wife. She has debilitating RA in her hands. On your average day, she cannot straighten her hands out flat as you or I can without thinking. Mrs. "Letter of the Law at all times" Burrito one day broke down and asked if she could try some since the prescription NSAIDs weren't doing much anymore. So we smoked together whereupon she promptly passed right out. When she awoke, I saw her flatten out her hands and be able to use them normally for two days afterward with only very minor pain. I had not observed her being able to do that for years prior to that point. Her rheumatologist is completely onboard with her sporadic usage since it does provide her so much relief.

I'm not a habitual user but there is clear and compelling evidence from studies that cannabis does have many beneficial medical uses and applications. Even Texas, as crotchety, antediluvian, and backwards as it is, has recognized this and made CBDs legal for select applications.

Side note to my fellow Bluesers: If there are days where it appears that I have become unhinged and posted some incoherent, irrational screed, just be advised that I am probably on my fourth or more day of no sleep. Just pat me on the head and I will return either the next day or a couple of days later back in my somewhat right mind.

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
8. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:31 Burrito of Peace

Well done, AMD. It's time the Blue Team got their ass kicked for a while.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 21:01 Burrito of Peace

Just smoke a well packed bowl and be done with it. Wake up the next day feeling loose and well rested.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. The Teens Who Hacked Microsoft's Xbox Empire—And Went Too Far. Apr 17, 2018, 19:12 Burrito of Peace

That was a very interesting and fascinating read.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Xbox One Adds 8 New Original Xbox Backwards Compatible Games Today. Apr 17, 2018, 18:40 Burrito of Peace

Where the fuck is MechAssault?!  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 14:39 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:26:
Google: "Define language"

the system of communication used by a particular community or country.

Counterpoint: Moisture Evaporators (whether they're on the southern ridge or elsewhere) don't have either a community or a country. Neither do binary lifters. Yet C3-PO can still communicate with them.

I would argue that kxmode is correct. Language, beyond being just a means to convey abstract ideas in to reasonably understood practical symbols, also serves as a data channel for flavor, color, and aphorisms that tell you about the culture which uses it.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
13. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 19:19 Burrito of Peace

I'll be honest: I liked WD2. I hated WD1 because the protagonist was such an unlikable, whiny dick. Although I am, as the kids say, old AF, I can see where the crew from WD2 fit and how they came together in a city that has an active maker scene and set in current times. Hell, they remind me of the students I mentor after a fashion.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2018, 14:19 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 13:11:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:20:
snp
It's ok, Der Stürmer and Spencer are welcome on Fox News.

Indeed. In fact, they're pretty open about it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2018, 12:34 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:26:
Takes a special kind of person...

What that special kind of person probably looks like.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2018, 16:24 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 09:52:
Laser surgery is not appropriate for several invasive procedures. Especially something like compartment syndrome that needs non cauterized cuts for drainage (or cutting around organs, arteries, tendons, veins, nerves and bones). They could have just whipped out a magic cast or a Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy whirring wand and fixed up Mamma's leg better than new.

I will watch a couple more episodes before i pass full judgement but right now it's already 114% better than, shudder, 'The Orville'.

I didn't mean to imply that lasers were the perfect fit for everything, I was just using it as an example of where we are today in terms of medical science versus what the show presents as being present in the future. Nanobots would have been a better futuristic medical tool to fix the problem with the leg.

Secret Sauce:
I was actually kind of annoyed at the "Danger Will Robinson" line because there hadn't been enough development yet to show a bond between Will and the robot. It felt rushed and shoe-horned in instead of being a natural evolution between Will and the robot.

I, too, will watch a couple more episodes because I recognize that it takes a while for a show to get off the ground. These were just glaring missteps that irked me.

2847 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo