Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2221 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 23, 2016, 10:54 Burrito of Peace

Don't you have to start being one before you can say "again"?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10
32. Re: Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10 Sep 20, 2016, 17:27 Burrito of Peace

Just give me a game that can snatch 16-24GB of my RAM, use it as a RAM drive to spool everything out of, and take full advantage of my multi-socket, multi-core system.

Oh, and I want a real unicorn and a fairy princess ballerina outfit while I am dreaming wildly unrealistic dreams.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Tiny Dog... Sep 19, 2016, 09:31 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 14:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 12:58:
Ugh, damn little dogs, always barking and snapping at people and other much larger animals. It seems like nearly 100% of the time the owners just laugh that shit off too, bugs the hell out of me.

People will train big dogs, but just ignore training the little toy dogs altogether.

Big dogs are arguably more trainable, being closer to their working dog roots as cattle dogs, bird dogs, sheepdogs, etc.

All dogs are trainable, regardless of size. What takes work is knowing and seeing the dominant breed traits and adjusting your training accordingly. Most owners of small or toy dogs think of them as accessories or living dolls and do none of that, in my experience.

For example, I have a Chow Chow. For my father and I, she's the sweetest, most lovable, goofy dog on the planet. Loves to be played with, have her belly and chest rubbed, and curling up at our feet. She makes little happy sounds when she gets attention from either one of us. However, as is befitting her breed traits when socialized, she's tolerant of the rest of the family but not overly enthralled with spending time with them. She'll accept some petting and follow limited commands (sit, down, stay, and come) but that's it. She patrols the large yard about twice an hour and sits at a vantage point that allows her to observe the entirety of the yard when she's not patrolling. She's not aggressive but she is assertive. Again, these are traits of her breed. I have to warn small children, and the parents thereof, when they come running up to try to pet the "teddy bear" dog to back off because that's not good for her. Like all Chow Chows, she doesn't like the exuberance of kids and will immediately sit at my feet and sub-vocalize a growl. That's her back off warning. When talking to these people, I reach down and rub her ears which is a reassuring gesture that what's going on is ok. She calms and there's no further issue.

My father has a small dog, a Sheltie. In contrast to my dog, she's the exact opposite. She's a playful little flirt whom loves everyone and loves to bound around with children. She went through obedience and advanced obedience training with ease and runs with my dog during the "patrols". But as jdreyer pointed out, she's also from a stock of sheepdogs. Working with humans, being around them, and interacting with them is part of her breed trait. However, she must be kept stimulated both physically and mentally. Otherwise, she will become destructive and annoying by barking constantly. She has a bark that would wake those in a coma.

It all comes down to training and understanding your dog. Dogs have to be trained and they must understand their place in the hierarchy of the pack. All dogs know they belong to a pack but most humans have zero understanding that dogs think this way. Even just a human and their dog is a pack in a dog's thinking, regardless of size. It seems to me that most owners of "bad" dogs (of which there is no such thing), fail to grasp that and do not act or train accordingly. Dogs aren't like appliances that come with a pre-programmed set of instructions telling them how to behave. Especially in a world as complex and confusing as that of a human's.

So, in short, bad owners make for "bad" dogs.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 18, 2016, 21:27 Burrito of Peace

I hated math for nearly the entirety of my 16 year education. It always boiled down to teachers whom were not inclined to interact with the students in the slightest and were, instead, more than content to sit at an overhead projector or a blackboard and drone on eternally. I had one really great math teacher over a summer school session. She took the time to make advanced math relatable to things that I was already passionate about and interested in. Once I was able to put what I was learning in to actual, functional, practical use, I aced that class and I looked forward to going to it.

Math teachers, by and large, are terrible in the States and are extremely disinterested in actually teaching. They seem to be more in love with solving problems for the sake of solving them than actually doing anything with that information. I would base that solely on my own experience but over the years I've talked to other people whom had generally the same experience.

Then again, education in the US public school system is a joke. A bad joke at that.

News Comments > Join The Crew for Free
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 14, 2016, 12:34 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 11:41:
It's the only car game I ever played where the cars handled like there real world equivalents.

They were good for the time but my opinion is that Midnight Club: Los Angeles had the best feeling cars in any arcade racer ever. You knew when the car was going to slide and how long in to the slide before you'd regain grip. It definitely took in to account different car weights, suspension setups, and tire choices.

After playing for about an hour and picking the Mustang GT as my starter car, it's a fair approximation of what that model year felt like. A fair-to-middlin' mix of decent handling with occasional boatishness about it.

News Comments > Join The Crew for Free
2. Re: Join The Crew for Free Sep 14, 2016, 11:06 Burrito of Peace

Thanks, Creston. Downloading it now.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Adblock Plus now sells ads Sep 14, 2016, 10:03 Burrito of Peace

I use uBlock Origin+Privacy Badger as well as Pi-hole on my network and that combo works well for me. The ad companies had their chance to provide relevant, non-intrusive, non-obnoxious, malware free ads...and they blew it. They're still blowing it.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 13, 2016, 08:09 Burrito of Peace

DangerDog wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 04:16:
Well, so much for Samsung printers then. Their laser printers were really nice an affordable.

Try Brother. I've been consistently amazed at how much of a beating even their $100 laser printers can take and still keep on printing. We have a HL-L2360DW at the house that has seen almost 500,000 pages through and it still keeps printing. Drum gets replaced with the toner cartridges and they're only like $70 bucks for the extended yield.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2016, 15:26 Burrito of Peace

I initially read that as "HoboBall" and thought "That's both fucked up and hilarious all at the same time".  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2016, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

People can sit in their own shit and cry all day long, that's their choice. However, I saw more bare pairs of tits today than I think I've ever seen on any other single day in my life, including fetish balls. Today was a great day. I retire a happy man.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2016, 22:44 Burrito of Peace

VaranDragon wrote:
Are there some UI mods for Stellaris?

There are many. I just use the 1080p Overhaul mod.

VaranDragon wrote:
Also something that improves sector AI management?

Not quite following you. I can set up sectors to focus on research, militarization, farming/mining, or culture. I can further choose how much of their production they "donate" to the human player controlled worlds.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2016, 10:44 Burrito of Peace

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 12:35:
I've tried Stellaris and frankly this is better.

Whereas I feel the exact opposite. I bought both games during their first EA stages and have consistently played both of them through today. MOO isn't a bad game, per se, but it doesn't shine in any particular area. It's just OK. It's what I play when I don't really want to have to put a lot of thought in to strategy. Even on its hardest setting, it's not overly difficult.

Not shipping with mod support was a mistake, and a large one. Stellaris had mod support in EA and, as of now, 3,021 mods are available through the Steam Workshop.

I'm not trying to bag on MOO, because it's not a terrible game, but I think comparisons to Stellaris are a bit unfair. MOO is a kiddie pool and Stellaris is an ocean.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Footage
5. Re: Dawn of War III Footage Sep 7, 2016, 09:26 Burrito of Peace

I personally didn't like Dawn of War as a squad based...thing. For me, the pinnacle of the series is still Dark Crusade. I wish we would see another.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 31, 2016, 20:55 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 16:14:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 12:55:
I just wish Amazon would stop shipping Prime merchandise through the shithole that is US Postal system. "It'll be delivered Monday!" Wednesday arrives...[crickets as the postal twunt rolls by]. Call Amazon:
"It says it was out for delivery on Monday."
"Yes, yes I know it does. It has said that Monday, Tuesday, and now today."
"We'll reship the item overnight for you."
"While I appreciate that, is there anyway that I can get my Prime purchases not shipped through the godawful postal system?"
"We have many different methods of ensuring that we meet your two day Prime guarantee and it's not possible to pick just one or exclude one."
"Right."

Add the following line to your chat conversation:

"I pay 99 dollars a year to get stuff here in two days. Not three days, or four days, or five days. Two days. If you can't guarantee that, I might as well quit Prime."

This line is typically followed with them going: "Sorry sir, would a $10 credit / free month of prime on your account suffice?"

Also, ALWAYS make a screenshot of the "GUARANTEED DELIVERY ON SEPTEMBER 1st!" window. Then, when you contact them and they try to pull the "technically it's two days from when it's readied in the warehouse for shipping, sir." on you, you show them the screenshot, and voila. Credit, or new items shipped overnight for free, flow your way.

Solid copy, Creston! Thanks!

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 14:41 Burrito of Peace

panbient wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 13:14:
Until very recently the price of a new video game had been stagnant at $60 for about 3 decades.

This is utter bullshit. 25 years ago, I could walk in to a Software ETC, throw down $21.65 (including sales tax) and walk out with a brand new copy of the just released Stellar 7 CD Edition, Eye of the Beholder, and a bunch of other titles. I remember it vividly because I spent three weeks of my summer mowing lawns to pay for all the titles I wanted to buy and the rest of that summer playing those games with my friends. Each game was stickered at 19.99.

What I pay my housecleaner on a weekly basis today is now barely enough to afford three such titles at current market price. And you can't lay it all at the feet of the consumer. Yes, we absolutely do want better graphics and audio but the demographic of buying consumers has skyrocketed astronomically. So you have a larger pool to cash in on now than at any other time in history.

You can't even say that the entire cost of development has gone up astronomically either. How many major titles don't use Unity, UE, or other prepackaged solutions for iterating your pipeline? Back in the day, that was a major chunk of development time and cost as every game was its own engine. Sure, I would agree that asset creation has gotten more expensive but the returns now are greater than at any time in history.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 31, 2016, 12:55 Burrito of Peace

I just wish Amazon would stop shipping Prime merchandise through the shithole that is US Postal system. "It'll be delivered Monday!" Wednesday arrives...[crickets as the postal twunt rolls by]. Call Amazon:
"It says it was out for delivery on Monday."
"Yes, yes I know it does. It has said that Monday, Tuesday, and now today."
"We'll reship the item overnight for you."
"While I appreciate that, is there anyway that I can get my Prime purchases not shipped through the godawful postal system?"
"We have many different methods of ensuring that we meet your two day Prime guarantee and it's not possible to pick just one or exclude one."
"Right."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 17:19 Burrito of Peace

Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 16:09:
Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 15:10:
There is no need for a curved screen monitor for gaming monitors of this size. its a gimmick that servers no purpose to allow you to see the game any better. I've looked at them and I personally cant see any reason for them.

Here's a counterpoint: When using two monitors, almost everyone skews them a bit to have the outside edges be a little closer to them (myself included). If this mirrors what everyone naturally does with that much screen real estate, maybe it's for a reason.

counter-counterpoint: Two curved screens side by side (even with one at an angle so you don't have to turn your head Exorcist style) is going to cause a bizarre optical problem where the two screens curve up toward the joining part. While our focal points are spherical stereoptic, we also rely heavily on our peripheral vision which curved screens are absolutely terrible for. If Samsung could bring out the bendable OLED technology they keep demoing for monitors with a flexible frame at a reasonable price, that would solve the issue entirely.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 29, 2016, 08:42 Burrito of Peace

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 12:40:
"Join Russ Bullock and Piranha Games as we look ahead to the future of MechWarrior." as he discusses a nickel-and-dime, poorly made f2p MechWarrior as the only future of MechWarrior left as far as the eye can see. Strap in fellas!

Hare Brained Schemes would disagree, I think.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
22. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 15:33 Burrito of Peace

If we're recommending cases, my vote is for an Antec Thirteen Hundred. 12 HDD bays for both 3.5 and 2.5 inch form factors and I loaded mine with Noctua fans. It currently holds a 44TB ESXi server and runs quiet while still keeping HDD, MB, and CPU temps in the 40C range. I consider that acceptable given that it runs 24/7 and is being used as a VM host, with one of those hosts being an Oracle DB server and another being a NAS VM that is used constantly.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. PowerMac G5 - Is it Obsolete? Aug 22, 2016, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

It was obsolete when it was released.  

2221 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo