Total Posts
4843 (Master)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

4843 Comments. 243 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    243  ] Older

Re: Newell:
Jan 21, 2021, 12:00
Re: Newell: Jan 21, 2021, 12:00
Jan 21, 2021, 12:00

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2021, 02:46:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2021, 18:55:
I cannot speak for other countries, but what has worked immensely in my favor of becoming a Canadian citizen (not yet complete, we were in the process and then the pandemic hit) is that both Mrs. Burrito and I own property up there, have bank accounts up there, and pay taxes there. We've already established ourselves as a "good" immigrant. Mrs. Burrito already being Canadian by birth was no doubt also helpful.

You're still moving even though Trump lost?

Ha! Yes. It has less to do with the current holder of the presidency than it does the clear, continual, and marked decline of the US.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: Evening Metaverse
Jan 20, 2021, 23:59
Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2021, 23:59
Jan 20, 2021, 23:59

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 20, 2021, 22:43:
...I thought Blues was full of grown ups...

It is, which is why you rarely see phrases like "bitch ass liberals". Generally because most of us have figured out that ad hominems are the refuge of the poorly educated and have the least effect in any productive discussion.

It's a funny thing, multiple studies have shown that, in the US, those with at least some higher education or greater whom have also traveled to some degree are often those most inclined to have a liberal disposition. On the flip side, those are the least educated and untraveled tend to have a conservative disposition.

So, I find it quite telling when a person chooses to use the word "liberal" as a pejorative. It tells me a wealth about their character, or lack thereof, and how narrow and colloquial their world view is.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: Newell:
Jan 20, 2021, 18:55
Re: Newell: Jan 20, 2021, 18:55
Jan 20, 2021, 18:55

I cannot speak for other countries, but what has worked immensely in my favor of becoming a Canadian citizen (not yet complete, we were in the process and then the pandemic hit) is that both Mrs. Burrito and I own property up there, have bank accounts up there, and pay taxes there. We've already established ourselves as a "good" immigrant. Mrs. Burrito already being Canadian by birth was no doubt also helpful.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 20, 2021, 12:54
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2021, 12:54
Jan 20, 2021, 12:54

Nope, I don't take my phone out of the case I put it in. You may not drop it, Blue, but there are plenty of other shock and vibe events that it goes through that a good case will help the phone weather without damage.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Jan 19, 2021, 22:08
Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 19, 2021, 22:08
Jan 19, 2021, 22:08

As I do not kiss the ass of corporate overlords, they can kiss my ass. I am salaried. I am being paid for my skillset, end of fucking story. How and when I work is irrelevant so long as the milestones get hit at the agreed upon time. This diseased, bullshit hangup of "productivity" is not only worthless but counterproductive. Actual productivity is not some linear, directly proportional scale that every person you hire is going to automagically adhere to. I know I sure as Hell don't. I get to work at 0630 and I am out no later than 1400-1430. This allows me to avoid traffic and work when my brain is most active. Can my boss track my time? More often than not, no. Does it matter? Absofuckinglutely not since I hit the milestones. Some of my guys come in at 1200 and bail out around 2000. That's absolutely fine with me. There are days I haven't gone in to work (prepandemic) because, fuck it, I just wasn't feeling it that day.

Just because a company pays you doesn't mean they own you. You are not a slave and you are not a serf.

Re: Hardware Reviews
Jan 19, 2021, 16:20
Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 19, 2021, 16:20
Jan 19, 2021, 16:20

I wish we would see prices come down on SSDs with 4TB+ of capacity. So long as high capacity SSDs have prices in the stratosphere, spinning rust will never die.

Re: Cloud Climber Released
Jan 18, 2021, 22:00
Re: Cloud Climber Released Jan 18, 2021, 22:00
Jan 18, 2021, 22:00

It's about a ten minute story. Atmospheric and nihilistic. It was enjoyable for the little vignette that it was.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Jan 18, 2021, 17:17
Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 18, 2021, 17:17
Jan 18, 2021, 17:17

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2021, 13:08:
I can say with absolute certainty I have never used a fingerprint reader "all wrong". Why? Simple. I have never used a fingerprint reader, ever.

Ditto. Your fingerprint is not protected by law. A PIN, however, is because it is considered intellectual property. Encrypt your phone and have a minimum of a six digit PIN. If your mobile OS supports it, setup a phone wipe after N amount of failed unlock attempts.

Re: Buried in Ice Announced
Jan 18, 2021, 15:56
Re: Buried in Ice Announced Jan 18, 2021, 15:56
Jan 18, 2021, 15:56

One might reasonably argue that since all "The Thing" movies (three of them plus ancillaries) are based on "Who Goes There?" by John Campbell, which is now in the public domain, that the studio is also basing it on the same public domain work much like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.

As long as there are no direct references to previous works which are unique to those works, then they should be free and clear. Otherwise, Aliens vs Predator could be sued for copyright infringement due to a similar setting.

Re: HBO Max will now release 'Godzilla vs. Kong' two months early.
Jan 18, 2021, 07:30
Re: HBO Max will now release 'Godzilla vs. Kong' two months early. Jan 18, 2021, 07:30
Jan 18, 2021, 07:30

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 11:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 10:08:
Humans will quit making monster movies, Sci-Fi movies, space travel movies etc when they quit making movies.
I have no issue with that and I agree it completely makes sense. But I think if there was never another Godzilla film, that would be just fine...

Pipe down or I will gag you with perfectly buttered and salted popcorn!

Re: Sunday Safety Dance
Jan 17, 2021, 15:49
Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 17, 2021, 15:49
Jan 17, 2021, 15:49

That's a mighty misleading title. Kids didn't "hack" anything.

Moreover, it's not even a Cinnamon problem, it's an x-org problem. Why anyone is still using X in 2021 is beyond me, however.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Debacle Expose
Jan 17, 2021, 11:43
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Debacle Expose Jan 17, 2021, 11:43
Jan 17, 2021, 11:43

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 09:46:
Frode wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 09:25:
Quinn wrote on Jan 17, 2021, 06:09:
this is just another cowardly lynch mob pouncing at the first sign of weakness. It's nothing. It means nothing. It isn't unique. Every company has to deal with the mob one way or another.
What country do you live in that has this as a work culture? Seriously, it sounds horrifying and I can promise you it is not a universal thing. Believe it or not, there are entire countries on this planet where the workplace is not a war between "management" and "workers". Where no manager would feel disgruntled workers are "waiting in the shadows". I pity you and hope you find yourself in a more healthy work environment in the future.

Agreed. Wherever they are from, it doesn't sound like a healthy culture.

It isn't a healthy culture. I have been managing technical people for more than a decade now. You get a toxic workplace from a toxic management structure. Employees that are disgruntled are so because, nearly universally, they feel that their voice isn't being heard. That's a pure management failure.

I have an open door policy for all my people all the way down to the level 1 techs. At any time, they are free to come to me and talk about anything in the strictest confidence. I have dealt with work related issues, marital issues, family issues, and substance abuse problems. My job isn't to judge them nor is it to make their lives more difficult. My first and primary duty is to get as many of the rocks out of my people's path as I possibly can. Happy people do great work. In turn, great work turns in to a great product.

Every quarter, I have an hour long meeting for all of my people. It's literally titled "Airing of the Grievances". It's an open floor and open forum for people to voice their ideas, criticisms, and suggestions on an equal footing. That includes criticisms of me as well.

Not patting myself on the back but the upward evaluations have shown a 73% jump in both management and job satisfaction. Turnover has nearly bottomed out. In turn, the image of our department has dramatically turned around within the entire organization.

HBO Max will now release 'Godzilla vs. Kong' two months early.
Jan 17, 2021, 08:31
HBO Max will now release 'Godzilla vs. Kong' two months early. Jan 17, 2021, 08:31
Jan 17, 2021, 08:31

Hell yeah! Looking forward to seeing these two duke it out.

Re: Prison Architect: Going Green This Month
Jan 15, 2021, 08:56
Re: Prison Architect: Going Green This Month Jan 15, 2021, 08:56
Jan 15, 2021, 08:56

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2021, 23:07:
This game patch status and Paradox DLC policy made sure I never played it after they bought it.

Sadly, I have to agree. They did the same thing with Stellaris, too. Prior to Patch 2.0, Stellaris was a fun game with a lot of different ways to accomplish things and just the right depth. Then they decided to release Patch 2.0, strip out many of the different avenues to victory, replace the entire planetary and solar management systems that now required tedious and constant micromangement, and then attempt to turn it in to Crusader Kings in space. It was a bummer because I really liked Stellaris and it was fun to play.

Re: Next Level Cable Routing Skills
Jan 15, 2021, 08:53
Re: Next Level Cable Routing Skills Jan 15, 2021, 08:53
Jan 15, 2021, 08:53

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2021, 23:43:
Not my cup-o-tea, I'll stick with boring boxes.

Nor mine, really. I prefer cube cases more than anything else.

Jan 14, 2021, 23:21
Re: Next Level Cable Routing Skills Jan 14, 2021, 23:21
Jan 14, 2021, 23:21

I think it is either a modded Conquer or a Conquer 2. The side glass is off to show off the cabling and the "jowl" on the Conquer 2 could have been removed.

Jan 14, 2021, 21:56
Re: Next Level Cable Routing Skills Jan 14, 2021, 21:56
Jan 14, 2021, 21:56

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2021, 19:45:
Is that a PC? Can anyone identify the case?

It's one of Cougar's cases. I think the OG Conquerer.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jan 14, 2021, 16:57
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 14, 2021, 16:57
Jan 14, 2021, 16:57

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2021, 16:32:
BoP, no regular Joe is going to make his own cables. Hell, I don't make my own cables and I have crimped hundreds in the past...

I don't disagree. I also don't make my own cable anymore because they are so cheap to buy and have the next day. However, for the super budget conscious, it is the cheapest way to go though admittedly not by much. Monoprice still has ridiculously cheap deals on cables.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jan 14, 2021, 16:04
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 14, 2021, 16:04
Jan 14, 2021, 16:04

I agree that the USB naming conventions are ridiculously convoluted for the average person. Should be USB5, USB10, USB20, and USB40 so the speeds are right there in the name. Moreover, standardize on a connector already and make it USB-C. It boggles my mind that there are new devices coming out today that still use USB Micro-A or USB Micro-B. It's a connector. Surely cost isn't a factor at this point with USB-C becoming common. My phone from 3 years ago had USB-C on it! It's also a much sturdier connector than USB Micro-A which will break a solder joint from a stern look.

//|---|\\

That Gibabyte server is...something. First, it should have targeted EPYC Milan instead of Xeon SP, especially in light of the fact that single socket EPYC Milan servers are spanking dual socket Xeon SP servers handily. Moreover, it would have immediately granted access to PCIe 4.0 instead of being stuck on legacy 3.0.

Next we have the weird-ass drive configurations. The 3.5s I understand. But dual 2.5s and 1 M2? Seems reasonable that it is due to the lack of PCIe lanes and being stuck on 3.0 but, even so, ditch the dual 2.5s and go with dual M2s for NVMe in a RAID0 package. You're probably going to be hooking those 3.5s up to an HBA anyway.

Finally, dual 1Gb NICs? What the actual fuck? I can see one LOM being 1Gb for IPMI but why isn't the other a minimum of 10Gb? 10Gbps Cat6 is the lowest price it has ever been. You're not even using SFP+ connectors, you're using copper! Since this is for the data center, you're not worried about the penny pinching average consumer who vomits at the reasonably low priced 10Gb switches available today.

Even if you were doing it for the home, you can get a managed 24 port 10Gb switch for less than $500 now. Cat6 cabling is no longer made out of unicorn blood and a 1000ft is around $225. All you need is a crimper and some jacks.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jan 14, 2021, 14:20
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 14, 2021, 14:20
Jan 14, 2021, 14:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2021, 10:04:
I have taken my chances and gone to my barber a couple of times. It is a very small ma' and pa' type business, so there is usually at most one other customer there when I am and the owners are masked up. I keep it pretty short these days, not quite military standards, but close. Mainly because I simply don't want hair in my eyes and I have fairly oily hair. So if it is long in under 24 hours it is starting to "feel" dirty -- which frankly, I find annoying. The effect is greatly reduced when it my hair is short.

I live in a county full of redneck, mouth breathing Covidiots. To the point where there have been fistfights and arrests simply because one party asked that a mask be worn. I also regularly interact with three very immunocompromised people so no visits for me.

I used to have very oily hair because, when it was short, I washed it every day. Mrs. Burrito had me go a full month of washing it, skipping three days (rinses were fine), and then wash it again. The first two weeks I felt like I could wring a big block V8's worth of oil out of my hair. In reality, I had to let my scalp come down and stop hypercreating oils to make up for all of the natural dermal moisturization that were being stripped out by my daily washing. It has since calmed way the hell down and I no longer feel like my hair is heavy or greasy. Mrs. Burrito says it is much softer than it has ever been and looks and feels a lot less fried.

I feel you on the hair in your face. That drove me batty until it grew long enough to either tuck it behind my ears or clip it back. Now I just pull it all back in to a short pony tail.

4843 Comments. 243 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    243  ] Older