Total Posts
4466 (Master)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

4466 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    224  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 15, 2020, 12:42
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2020, 12:42
Jul 15, 2020, 12:42

So...TSMC 2nm fab process.

30W, 32C/64T, 5Ghz desktop processors in 2025?

High end GPUs that draw 80W or less? LOL, not you AMD...sit down.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Is It Time To Kill The Penny?
Jul 15, 2020, 11:17
Is It Time To Kill The Penny? Jul 15, 2020, 11:17
Jul 15, 2020, 11:17

It is...and a price should be rounded down, not up, to the nearest nickle.

I cannot remember the last time I spent a penny. Either by itself or as part of mixed change. When I rarely get change, I just throw it in the jar when I get home. After a decade or so, I'll take it all to the bank and deposit it.

**Cue the "I use pennies ALL the time" contrarians**

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: Skull & Bones Reportedly Rebooted
Jul 14, 2020, 07:43
Re: Skull & Bones Reportedly Rebooted Jul 14, 2020, 07:43
Jul 14, 2020, 07:43

Well that sucks. I was hoping for a game that was like the ship to ship battles and boarding action as presented in AC:BF.

Guess I'll be taking this off my wishlist.

Re: Far Cry 6 Announced
Jul 13, 2020, 11:12
Re: Far Cry 6 Announced Jul 13, 2020, 11:12
Jul 13, 2020, 11:12

I am cautiously interested. I hated New Dawn and found it to be both boring and cliche.

Far Cry 5 I had a blast in because I was able to mow down religious zealots with glee.

Provided that reviews are decent, I will probably pick this up after I finish Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dog Legion.

Re: Saturday Safety Dance
Jul 11, 2020, 16:17
Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 11, 2020, 16:17
Jul 11, 2020, 16:17

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2020, 14:08:
Burrito of Protection
What's your take on Signal storing stuff on their servers.

Burrito doesn't use Signal because neither their code nor their encryption measures have been publicly audited and independently verified on an annual basis. The fact that both things are true should tell you my take on it.

At work, we were debating using Signal or Wire for our communications. We ended up with Wire.

I would not use Signal based upon their most recent action of collecting and storing PII.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 10, 2020, 11:48
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2020, 11:48
Jul 10, 2020, 11:48

A kitchen mandolin is how I cut the top third, dorsally, off of my right middle finger to the bone. I was being super careful but the guards on many mandolin cutters are meant for smaller hands so it came off in my hand mid-slice.

I started replaying the Dead Space trilogy as I had not played them for many years and did not recall much about them. The first one was fantastic and had a strong Clive Barker-esque horror in space feel to it. About three hours in to the second one and it seems a bit weaker, storywise and atmosphere wise. It isn't a bad game but I think the larger, more open areas work to its disadvantage.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 8, 2020, 13:48
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2020, 13:48
Jul 8, 2020, 13:48

I'll be much more interested in Thunderbolt when it also starts offering 40Gb/s networking.

Jul 8, 2020, 13:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2020, 13:25
Jul 8, 2020, 13:25

How does one fuck up a scone? It's like a biscuit (American version) on easy mode!

Re: Another Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Video Leak
Jul 8, 2020, 13:13
Re: Another Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Video Leak Jul 8, 2020, 13:13
Jul 8, 2020, 13:13

Watched it and...meh. Damage sponge boss with circle, attack, fade, repeat.

The game mechanics are beyond stale at this point.

Re: You may be distracted by the pandemic but FYI- US Senate panel OK's backdoors-by-the-backdo
Jul 8, 2020, 10:35
Re: You may be distracted by the pandemic but FYI- US Senate panel OK's backdoors-by-the-backdo Jul 8, 2020, 10:35
Jul 8, 2020, 10:35

Simon Says wrote on Jul 8, 2020, 09:14:
I've known that for years. But these new measures seem to imply that you'll be banned from using ALL end to end encryption, including ANY VPNs, no matter where they're based.

That's not how I read it. I read it as it could require US based tech companies to weaken encryption all in the name of "think of the children". However, the US has no jurisdiction over companies not based in the US and those without offices in the US. There is no language that I have read that explicitly, or implies, that individuals not acting as a corporate entity (i.e. DBAs, LLCs, etc) will be prevented from using encryption, VPNs, or other obfuscating technology.

Moreover, this will swiftly turn in to a rather sad, pathetic version of Whack A Mole. Ban VPNs? Fine, we'll move to distributed, asynchronous mesh networks that only use 4096 bit stateless hashes that change every X number of seconds as both data identifiers and point of origin identifiers. We now move data through every single node on that mesh network. Guess everyone is now going to jail because a 16 year old girl sent a picture of her tits to her 16 year old boyfriend.

That's just one example and there are dozens more models where this can be sidestepped or completely avoided on a global level.

Also, politicians tend to change their tune really damn fast when money starts becoming involved and their wealthy tech donors suddenly start shifting their donations to other candidates who won't support such nonsense.

In the end, I see this as the US government puffing up its chest and being a blowhard.

Re: You may be distracted by the pandemic but FYI- US Senate panel OK's backdoors-by-the-backdo
Jul 8, 2020, 07:49
Re: You may be distracted by the pandemic but FYI- US Senate panel OK's backdoors-by-the-backdo Jul 8, 2020, 07:49
Jul 8, 2020, 07:49

Simon Says wrote on Jul 7, 2020, 20:17:
...VPNs couldn't be operated in the US?

You shouldn't be using US based VPN services to begin with due to the patchwork mindfield of state and federal regulations requiring log retention.

Every service I use is based in Switzerland due to their extremely strong pro-customer data privacy laws.

My previous post about this, here, still holds true.

This is arguing about the barn door latch long, long after the horses have fled.

Re: New AMD Ryzen Reviews
Jul 7, 2020, 14:03
Re: New AMD Ryzen Reviews Jul 7, 2020, 14:03
Jul 7, 2020, 14:03

Fantaz wrote on Jul 7, 2020, 11:34:
why would u want amd? intel's better for gaming

Because we grown ups do a lot more with our PCs than just gaming.

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes
Jul 6, 2020, 22:31
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes Jul 6, 2020, 22:31
Jul 6, 2020, 22:31

1badmf wrote on Jul 6, 2020, 21:45:
...everything we do at least has the morality of law...

I do not know in what country you live. I live in the United States. We have, over the course of our history, repeatedly struck down laws for being amoral. We can not use the law as a guide to morality. A simple thought exercise that is given to most college freshmen in intro philosophy: the law states that stealing is wrong. However, to feed your family and prevent their deaths, you must steal food. Is it moral to follow the law and allow others to perish or is it moral to defy the law and preserve the lives of those you love?

A free market assumes that a product can be offered by a number of merchants, at the cost of their choosing, and consumers have the liberty to patronize any merchant they wish to acquire the same product. We do not have a free market. We have a captive market, especially in the games industry where exclusives, artificial scarcity, unbalanced pricing, and lack of competition reign supreme.

One can choose to wait until the price is reduced in this captive market, that is certainly an option. I am not outright supporting piracy. However, piracy does send a message in its own right as does not buying it at all. Inherently, both send the same message and that is "Your goods are overpriced".

Looking Glass wasn't killed by piracy alone. Looking Glass was largely killed by the mismanagement of their parent company, Eidos. So much so that Eidos was purchased by Square Enix.

Jul 6, 2020, 13:26
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes Jul 6, 2020, 13:26
Jul 6, 2020, 13:26

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2020, 12:47:
Rule number one of the Entitled Gamers Creed, "If you don't like a games price, Steal it."

Remember kids, you are owed any and every game ever made.

Here you and I will disagree. I don't believe that I am entitled to anything, games wise. However, if you can sell a game for $15USD in one region, and still make a profit, and then attempt to sell it in another region for $59.99USD, it should come as no surprise when people either take advantage of technology to buy it at a lower price or copy it. Capitalism has no morality and it cuts both ways. If one is going to argue that it is morally wrong to copy data, are you going to also argue that is morally wrong to fleece one demographic for the sake of the bottom line?

Jul 6, 2020, 12:02
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes Jul 6, 2020, 12:02
Jul 6, 2020, 12:02

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2020, 10:52:
I'm sure Sony is a bit miffed about VPNs, but this kind of shit just makes people return to piracy.

When companies pull shit like this, I have zero sympathy when pirating eats them alive.

Jul 6, 2020, 11:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2020, 11:55
Jul 6, 2020, 11:55

"Fat Ass Zombies" aka "American Zombieland" is one of the most ridiculously campy movies I have seen in a long while. It is so awful it falls in to the "So awful it is awesome" category.

15/10 would recommend if you like bad, campy, cheesy horror flicks.

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft
Jul 5, 2020, 22:31
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 22:31
Jul 5, 2020, 22:31

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 09:35:
What part about "women at work are there for your amusement,'" whether you are married or single, don't you understand?

The part where I show up, do my job, collect my salary, and go home?

Jul 5, 2020, 22:30
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 22:30
Jul 5, 2020, 22:30

Quinn wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 17:15:
...This is indeed fear for what "might be"...

I "might be" killed by a shark the next time I swim out in the water at the beach. However, the data suggests that I am much more likely to be killed by a cow. Seriously.

I have no problems having a civil discourse on any matter (provided I get enough sleep) but what I have seen in this thread are people like Cutter who are throwing emotionally driven tantrums based on persecution fantasies.

From my perspective, were I accused I wouldn't sweat it. I know what I have both done and not done and I have a mountain of data at any given moment to back it up. Moreover, even were I not married, I have never mixed my professional life with my personal life. I show up, do my job, collect my salary, and go home. It is strongly advisable that others do the same. However, as we have seen with these high profile cases, there are a great number of people who can't...and that is exactly what trips them up (barring any unethical, illegal, and/or unprofessional behavior for which they should be nailed to the wall.)

Jul 5, 2020, 16:05
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 16:05
Jul 5, 2020, 16:05

Quinn wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 11:49:
The fear people have is that there will be "collateral damage", that innocent men's heads will roll in this new woke trend which is maybe completely benevolent but definitely good PR.

Do you have citable sources with verifiable facts for these events actually occurring? Not anecdotes but actual data.

Because if you don't, you're fear mongering. Fear is irrational and acting out of that fear is just as irrational as you claim others are being.

As I said previously, I have worked in my career field for 40 years and at no time have I ever been accused of sexual harassment or professional misconduct nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever engaged in it. Also, at no point in that 40 years have I ever worried that I would be falsely accused. This is, to my memory, the third time that sexual harassment has become a spotlight in the corporate world since I began working. In the two other previous times, I heard much the same rhetoric that is spewed here. That it was a witch hunt, that men would be falsely accused, that lives and careers would be ended, et al ad nauseum. None of that ever happened.

It is, to my mind, simple to keep from running afoul of an allegation. I treat the women I work with the same courtesy and ethical professionalism that I would want for my wife were she still working. So far it hasn't failed me and it is unlikely to fail me until I retire.

Jul 5, 2020, 07:26
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 07:26
Jul 5, 2020, 07:26

It's a funny thing. I have worked in my career field for 40 years now. Not once have I ever been accused of sexual harassment or inappropriate workplace behavior.

Either I am so incredibly lucky that I should go play the lottery right this very second...or I know how to comport myself professionally and ethically.

4466 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    224  ] Older