Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2954 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 21, 2018, 18:35 Burrito of Peace

Rimworld is just so fucking addictive and amazing. I've done settlements in every biome. By far my favorite was the mountains. I'm using Rainbeau's Farming mod and having all my growing underground inside the mountain just makes me giddy. My base is nigh on impregnable.

My least favorite was the one in the polar ice cap. Everyone survived to get off world but that was some insane levels of micromanagement to keep everyone fed, warm, and appropriately attired.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Horizon Chase Turbo Demo
3. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Oct 20, 2018, 13:49 Burrito of Peace

Caladell wrote on Oct 19, 2018, 23:13:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2018, 18:32:
Holy moly, that's so radddd!

Totally thrashin'

Tubular!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 20, 2018, 02:14 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2018, 01:53:
While I agree that 1 TB is a bit low for a monthly limit, what on earth could you download that would use that much in 2 hours?

1. Uncompiled source code for a Linux distribution including multiple DEs and a standard package loadout (software, drivers, codecs, etc) for an easy and pleasant out of box experience, if you were interested in creating your own distro.

2. Backing up your home NAS to an offsite backup location.

3. Redownloading your music collection if you've had to reinstall.

4. Downloading your favorite AAA games from your distributor of choice.

6. Streaming high def content from Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, etc.

It's not just straight downloading. It's your entire usage. For my household, my pfsense router tells me we average ~12TB a month.

News Comments > Star Citizen Physics Trailer
6. Re: Star Citizen Physics Trailer Oct 19, 2018, 11:01 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 19, 2018, 10:12:
Are the days of having a dedicated card for physics a thing of the past? Or did those days ever exist, except for the <1% quad-sli rich hardware geek.

PhysX has now been moved on to the Nvidia GPUs themselves. So if you have an Nvidia card, and a software package that uses PhysX calls, the GPU will do all the PhysX monitoring.

At least, that's what Nvidia's last big physics based announcement (years back now) stated.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2018, 16:35 Burrito of Peace

DangerDog wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 15:59:
how about giving that cell phone a swipe with a bit of alcohol every now and again, probably more germs on it than money.

I just lick mine clean.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Four Next Week
10. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Four Next Week Oct 16, 2018, 14:08 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 13:36:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 13:18:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 13:05:
I have to say, while have been considering on and off for a while now about going back to ED -- this video did nothing to increase my desire to start playing the game again.

What, mining asteroids not exciting enough for ya?

What this game really needs is an engine that understands speech so I can dock verbally.

There is a software system compatible with ED that does that. You can buy voice packs of different actors - Bill Shatner, Tom Baker, et al. - that act as the ship's AI.

Voice Attack

I have Voice Attack. It is less than stellar. Not horrible, but not exactly as hyped by ED fans that use it.

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
17. Re: NVIDIA 20XX Reviews Oct 16, 2018, 14:06 Burrito of Peace

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 11:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 16, 2018, 11:43:
I'm going to hold off and see what AMD does with Navi. If it sucks, the 1XXX series will be cheaper after 1st quarter and I can pick up one then. I see zero reason to upgrade to a 2XXX series at this time.

Something to consider is that Pascal availability will diminish over time and tariffs are going to hit the market in January if you live in Canada or the US.

I'm willing to wager that the tariffs don't make it in to actual enforcement or, if they do, they'll be abandoned shortly thereafter. Even if Pascal stock is non-existent, then I'm still getting a performance upgrade from my current GPU if Navi based GPUs are cheaper than the RTX line and faster than what I currently have.

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
7. Re: NVIDIA 20XX Reviews Oct 16, 2018, 11:43 Burrito of Peace

I'm going to hold off and see what AMD does with Navi. If it sucks, the 1XXX series will be cheaper after 1st quarter and I can pick up one then. I see zero reason to upgrade to a 2XXX series at this time.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 16, 2018, 11:28 Burrito of Peace

For a second there, I saw "Interstate 76" and got a wee bit excited.

Alas, it was for the crappy F76 and then I was bummed.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2018, 11:25 Burrito of Peace

Man, I used to use Winamp daily back when I ran Windows. It was, and still is, a great audio player.

Sayonara is my go to audio player today.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 15, 2018, 17:36 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2018, 11:33:
How to Get Rid of Windows 10 Ads, Office Offers and Other Annoyances

https://www.ubuntu.com

Manjaro.

FTFY.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 15, 2018, 11:30 Burrito of Peace

I think the last couple of generations have shown that Intel is really slipping. Pound for pound, the Ryzen line is a better choice for most people and the cost of entry is much lower. The fact that Intel is just now starting to support more than 32GB of memory on a desktop board after literally decades of ignoring it because Ryzen (depending on the board) will support 64-128GB is pretty telling. I guess their attitude of "fuck any user that isn't an enterprise customer" has finally caught up and now they're trying like Hell to play catchup.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2018, 18:39 Burrito of Peace

We're all fucked, it's far too late. Sit back and enjoy the ride on the express elevator to Hell.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 13, 2018, 15:39 Burrito of Peace

It's not shocking. Iron Fist was garbage, even when not compared to their other Marvel based episodic content.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2018, 11:53 Burrito of Peace

If you're not sure about whether or not a mushroom is poisonous, you should wear gloves when handling it. For example, the mushroom the little girl is holding looks a lot like Amanita phalloides, also known as the "Death Cap" mushroom. About an ounce of that will kill a full grown human being.

Not trying to be alarmist, but you have to be really, really careful with fungi as even inhaling the spores from some varieties can make a person extremely ill.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: Anabasis Next Week
2. Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: Anabasis Next Week Oct 11, 2018, 12:30 Burrito of Peace

Flatline wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 12:17:
Oh yeah I have this. It... wasn't terrible, but I got kind of frustrated by playing chase-the-frigate and other stuff.

I've started the game several times over and keep hitting kind of a soft wall of indifference.

I feel the exact same way. It should have been right in my wheelhouse but it's just so...mediocre. There's nothing about it that makes me want to continue playing.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Microsoft promises to defend—not attack—Linux with its 60,000 patents. Oct 11, 2018, 09:50 Burrito of Peace

I used to be pretty skeptical of Microsoft's approach to Linux but I have a theory:

Within the remainder of my lifetime, Microsoft is going to abandon the NT kernel and migrate over to the Linux or BSD kernel. I know, I know, it sounds crazy but with WSL, Linux on Azure, their surprisingly active commits to a number of Linux projects, and their move towards making both server and desktop platforms services instead of products, it seems a natural fit. Windows 10 would be called a rolling release distribution if it were a Linux distribution as would be Server 2019, for example.

They appear, at least for the moment, to not be antagonistic to software like DVK which translates DirectX (or, more specifically, what we used to call Direct3D and DirectDraw calls) to Vulkan and they're contributing members to Vulkan directly.

If you're transitioning toward a services oriented company, that makes a lot of sense. You don't have to worry about the underlying OS architecture, you just focus on APIs and how you deploy your services. By using the same APIs, you can integrate your services in to an ecosystem. In a lot of ways, they're mimicking what Red Hat did. You can get Windows 10 for free, you can even get Windows Server for free, but, with Server in particular, what you don't get is access to the subscription channels which provide stability and security patches. Red Hat does the same thing. You can get Red Hat for free by jumping through some hoops, but you don't get access to their subscription only repositories.

With AMD willing to make custom silicon for them, and with the fact that AMD is very active in the open source community, it wouldn't even be that much of risk to make the Xbox based around a custom Linux kernel, either. AMD has already done all the low level work for both Linux and BSD (see: Playstation).

Would any of it be open source? Maybe some parts of it. They still have a vested interest in cultivating an ecosystem and getting paid customers in to the ecosystem.

I think it's interesting, too, that Microsoft and Canonical seem to be working pretty closely together. There's no reason to invest that much effort in to something just to create WSL. You even see Microsoft putting a lot of their once proprietary coding language out in to open source with Visual Studio Code, .NET Core, and others.

Remember, too, that Microsoft has already developed their own BSD based OS.

So, given their moves in the last five years, I think Microsoft will go open source within my lifetime and leverage existing open source technologies so they can focus more on the services oriented business unit and less on spending billions on maintaining an OS architecture that they've realized, at least internally, is not a sustainable long term solution. Especially in light of the fact that others are already doing it better.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 12:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:35:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:22:
I don't get flu shots because I don't want to catch "teh awtizum".
Dudebro, there a 0.00000000000012% chance you already haz it.

The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.

And that's why I walk around outside during heavy storms holding aloft an old school TV antenna. If I get hit by lightning, I might develop superpowers.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

I don't get flu shots because I don't want to catch "teh awtizum".  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 9, 2018, 19:23 Burrito of Peace

My next system will be an AMD based system after having used Intel for decades. All the games I play could easily be handled by a Ryzen 8C proc while it lounges comfortably. What interests me most is I no longer have to pay out the nose for a stupid "gaming" processor or Xeon just because I want more than 4 cores. I may even look at a Threadripper or Epyc for my multicore needs. Especially since the X399 chipset supports up to 128GB of ECC memory. I would assume the forthcoming chipset based around the 7nm Threadripper will support the same.

I generally tend to buy Asrock boards these days because they've been super stable without all the "gaming" bullshit spooged all over every single high end motherboard. Some have it, some don't. I also like the fact that I can get an Aquantia 10Gbe NIC and 2 Intel 1Gbe NICs on the same motherboard. It's painful moving terabytes of data across a 1Gbe LAN.

Yeah, yeah, I remember the bad old days of Asrock, too, but I have to say that they are very feature dense for their cost and, as I stated previously, the 7 machines I have with Asrock boards have been nothing but stable. Granted, I don't overclock so that's a meaningless measure to me.

2954 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo