Total Posts
4599 (Master)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

4599 Comments. 230 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    230  ] Older

The worst version of Windows ever released.
Sep 18, 2020, 22:41
The worst version of Windows ever released. Sep 18, 2020, 22:41
Sep 18, 2020, 22:41

All of them*?

*The exceptions being Windows 2000 and Windows 7 Professional.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: Into the Black
Sep 18, 2020, 22:36
Re: Into the Black Sep 18, 2020, 22:36
Sep 18, 2020, 22:36

I've never been happier to be emigrating.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers
Sep 17, 2020, 22:09
Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers Sep 17, 2020, 22:09
Sep 17, 2020, 22:09

WaltC wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 17:55:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 17:34:
AMD still fucking the chicken on those Windows drivers:

"* Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products."

I wish I could tell you that was happening on my 5000-series product...but I can't. So I guess "the chicken" is safe, eh?...;)

No, it isn't, because it is mostly definitely happening on my 5700Xt under Windows 10.

Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers
Sep 17, 2020, 17:34
Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers Sep 17, 2020, 17:34
Sep 17, 2020, 17:34

AMD still fucking the chicken on those Windows drivers:

"* Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products."

Re: RTX 3080 Reviews
Sep 16, 2020, 16:50
Re: RTX 3080 Reviews Sep 16, 2020, 16:50
Sep 16, 2020, 16:50

Talutha wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:37:
Because Nvidia is ahead in other ways as well. They're now on their second generation of ray tracing hardware where AMD will be on their first...

A small point of order:

Big Navi/RDNA2 will technically be AMD's second generation of ray tracing. The first generation of AMD's ray tracing is in the SoCs of the PS5 and XSX. RDNA2 for the PC is not identical to the architecture present in the console SoCs and AMD themselves are counting it as a generational difference.

Whether it can go toe to toe with Nvidia is unknown at this point and any speculation is just that, speculation.

I think it would be wise to see how both AMD and Nvidia perform in real world testing with stable, mature drivers before buying anything. This will allow stock channels to fill and prices to not be insane as people sell kidneys and their first born to buy the first available cards.

Y'all may now continue to spooge over Nvidia's 3000 cards.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Sep 15, 2020, 22:05
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2020, 22:05
Sep 15, 2020, 22:05

maddog wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 20:14:
Still running the same Corsair Carbide Cube case for several years now. Really love the design over the traditional tower design.

Agreed. I have the same case. Good ventilation and plenty of fan spots.

Re: Origin Desktop App Being Renamed
Sep 15, 2020, 15:52
Re: Origin Desktop App Being Renamed Sep 15, 2020, 15:52
Sep 15, 2020, 15:52

"to create a more frictionless.." Cool
"...fast..." Also cool.
"...socially-oriented experience for our players." Fuck. I just want my games, not "social" bullshit.

In addition, "All of that is signaled by creating a common and consistent brand that is centered around EA and what EA stands for..." What is that, exactly? Money grubbing loot box gambling, franchises that are flogged more than a dead horses and generally boring, shitty customer service, or treating your workforce like shit? Or all the above?

Re: Morning Metaverse
Sep 11, 2020, 14:42
Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 11, 2020, 14:42
Sep 11, 2020, 14:42

Launch them both toward the moon. Whomever survives and comes back, gets a TV show deal for five years. If they both come back, there's a fight to the death in the reflection pool of the National Mall using only toothbrushes that have been ground down in to shivs.

Re: Dyson Sphere Program Announced
Sep 11, 2020, 14:37
Re: Dyson Sphere Program Announced Sep 11, 2020, 14:37
Sep 11, 2020, 14:37

Darks wrote on Sep 11, 2020, 14:05:
I wonder if they got permission form CBS to use the name. This is a direct rip out of Star Trek.

No, no it is not.

Re: Maserati unveils its first supercar in 15 years
Sep 10, 2020, 23:58
Re: Maserati unveils its first supercar in 15 years Sep 10, 2020, 23:58
Sep 10, 2020, 23:58

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 22:44:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 22:32:
Have you driven something like a C8 with an manual select/shiftable automatic (which basically just turns it in to a fly by wire manual) to make a modern comparison? Not ragging on you, just curious.
I haven't had any opportunities to do so. Can you do effective downshifting in those things? One of the big things for me is downshifting for slowing down in city driving. I really enjoy using my brakes as little as possible. I can say when I was having some engine work done on my car and I had a rental for a week which of course had an automatic (no paddle shifters) -- it nearly drove me insane...

Depending on the PCM and TCM pairing, yes. I used to manually downshift my '03 Mustang Cobra (not a factory option, something I installed after purchase when I got tired of the T-56 and "Cobra Clunk") heading in to turns to initiate both drivetrain drag and to pop up the revs. That was 15 years ago now so I can only assume rev matching and shift speeds have gotten better and more mainstream. My dad's Enzo could do it, too, and that was from the factory.

Sep 10, 2020, 23:55
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 23:55
Sep 10, 2020, 23:55

I have been through:

* The largest wildfire in Texas history
* Two hurricanes
* Two tornadoes
* Historic floods
* Earthquakes
* Record breaking heat
* The largest pandemic in modern history
* Never ending war

All I need to complete my apocalypse bingo card is:

* A record breaking blizzard
* Mass crop failure

Sep 10, 2020, 22:32
Re: Maserati unveils its first supercar in 15 years Sep 10, 2020, 22:32
Sep 10, 2020, 22:32

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 18:10:
I don't doubt anything you said BoP, except it being "a better total driving experience" -- which I believe is a subjective judgment. Better performance and control possibilities, I can't deny that. I still rather have my manual, the carburetors I don't need. Again automatics might be (probably are) superior to manuals, but not necessarily preferred.

Oh, and stay off my lawn.

Have you driven something like a C8 with an manual select/shiftable automatic (which basically just turns it in to a fly by wire manual) to make a modern comparison? Not ragging on you, just curious.

Sep 10, 2020, 17:54
Re: Maserati unveils its first supercar in 15 years Sep 10, 2020, 17:54
Sep 10, 2020, 17:54

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 13:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 13:00:
Automatics have come a long way and perform as well or better than standard transmissions.
Just because an automatic can accelerate faster than a manual doesn't mean it preferable.

I can shift faster with a DCT paddle shifter than I ever could shift in an H gate manual. Even in a sequential manual, the DCT paddles were faster.

It isn't entirely a matter of shifting speed, either. Speed and torque control are loads better without a direct input manual transmission because there's no clutch to cause drag and parasitic power loss. With a good PCM and TCM pairing, you get near instantaneous response. So you can do things like drift around a hairpin in 2nd while keeping the revs high and as soon as you begin to straighten out, you drop it in to third. This gives you the entire width of the powerband back while maintaining kinetic velocity of the car which keeps it from becoming unsettled.

In short, it's a better total driving experience.

When I hear graybeards complain, it is often about two things: automatic transmissions and PCMs. They want manual transmissions and carburetors because they simply haven't kept up with the times. I'm no spring chicken myself but when I can show as much as three second difference in lap times between manual and automatic, that tells me right there that automatics are superior to manuals.

Re: Spacebase Startopia Delayed
Sep 10, 2020, 17:17
Re: Spacebase Startopia Delayed Sep 10, 2020, 17:17
Sep 10, 2020, 17:17

This I don't get. It's a direct remake of Muckyfoot's Startopia. How bloody hard can it be?

Sep 10, 2020, 08:46
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2020, 08:46
Sep 10, 2020, 08:46

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 22:43:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 21:46:
Since Dune, as it is written, is literally unfilmable with current technology, I actually liked the trailer and I am looking forward to the movie.

I am certainly not going to a theatre to see it so it'll be a while until I see it.

Out of curiosity, what technology would be required to film it properly? What's your "Dream Dune?"

The technology that allows a more organic and weathered look to digitally rendered assets. For example, no Dune adaptation has gotten sandworms right. The Maker that Paul calls, for example, is supposed to be a Great Maker of a very advanced age yet every attempt makes the sandworms too shiny and unworn. Another are the Fremen's eyes. Every single attempt has made them look like they all have RGB lights shoved right behind the cornea. While it has been about five years since I last read the series, I have read the books several times and while I recall the blue within blue eyes being remarkable in their description, they weren't described as "Someone fucked up saturation values in post production". Even the eyes will have a difference in color nuance and texture between people. Sietches, too, need to look more naturally worn and not "insert some angled, sterile rocks on the set". Go to the desert that has canyons cut by wind and sandstorms. There's a fluidic poetry to the forms of the stone face.

Then you have the sheer scope of Dune. The scope of Dune is massive. No one has yet filmed it because it can't be.

Sep 9, 2020, 21:46
Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2020, 21:46
Sep 9, 2020, 21:46

Since Dune, as it is written, is literally unfilmable with current technology, I actually liked the trailer and I am looking forward to the movie.

I am certainly not going to a theatre to see it so it'll be a while until I see it.

Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest Demo
Sep 9, 2020, 11:12
Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest Demo Sep 9, 2020, 11:12
Sep 9, 2020, 11:12

Missed a golden opportunity to use Type O Negative's "Wolf Moon" in the trailer.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 8, 2020, 22:06
Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 8, 2020, 22:06
Sep 8, 2020, 22:06

Translation: "Because fuck you, that's why. We cannot code a modern modular OS so you're stuck with whatever shit we stuff down your throat...and you'll like it."

Meanwhile, I can rip out and replace all but the kernel on my OS. Even then, I am not relegated to whatever default kernel that the ISO shipped with. I certainly don't have to but I have the ability to do so. I will not, however, state that replacing a component with a different component is always all wine and roses. Sometimes, depending on the component, it will require a lot of time and work on an individual's part. Point is, it can be done and one is not relegated to just dealing with whatever McMonopoly wants to shove out the door.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Sep 8, 2020, 15:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 8, 2020, 15:10
Sep 8, 2020, 15:10

Western Digital: Doing Our Damndest to become the EA of the hardware world!

Re: Get GameGuru for Free
Sep 7, 2020, 08:46
Re: Get GameGuru for Free Sep 7, 2020, 08:46
Sep 7, 2020, 08:46

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2020, 01:23:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 6, 2020, 22:04:
The Godot engine is already free with loads of free community add-ons. Plus it is completely open source with zero strings attached.

Yeah, but the engine is super slow, thus the phrase "Waiting for Godot."

Drummer <--Closest thing we have to a rimshot emoji.

4599 Comments. 230 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    230  ] Older