Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 3897 (Veteran)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2019, 23:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 20:09:
More cores, aren't most consumer apps single threaded.

Yes, but mostly due to code monkeys being lazy asses. Over the summer, we hosted a code camp where teenagers were in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of Rust programming and the 3rd and, especially, the 4th year students were doing some amazing mulithreading work. We just need a new generation of code monkeys to accept something other than C as a viable language and that you should design multithread support in from the ground up.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Jotun: Valhalla Edition for Free

1. Re: Get Jotun: Valhalla Edition for Free Dec 5, 2019, 21:43 Burrito of Peace

S-s-s-snagged!  

News Comments > etc.

3. Re: etc. Dec 5, 2019, 13:06 Burrito of Peace

Disney is funny in the weird way not the humorous way. They bitch and piss and moan about piracy but they do everything within their power to ensure that their content, be it shows. movies, or games, becomes pirated by being absolute dicks about availability.

Whether or not Tron: Evolution is a good game or not, the fact that they have now fucked over owners of legitimate copies just means that people who either own it or were interested in owning it will now go pirate it. Because that copy will work forever without DRM issues.

News Comments > Rune II Publisher Sues RUNE II Developers

15. Re: Rune II Publisher Sues RUNE II Developers Dec 5, 2019, 10:11 Burrito of Peace

This reads like a playground slap fight.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2019, 21:44 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 20:53:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 20:40:
We're getting a cold front on Thursday night. It ought to drop the temp down to an astonishingly frigid 65 degrees.

I am so tired of living here.
Did you forget where you're headed the next couple of years.

No, it;s just not now. I am becoming impatient because we're on that countdown before launching off the precipice.

And the stopover is Michigan while we wait for my immigration process to wind its way through the system. A much shorter move than Texas, certainly.

We went up over Thanksgiving to see friends and I received a job opportunity. Now it's just a waiting game.If all goes well, I may be moving up before Mrs.Burrito. Which is good but also would suck at the same time. Hard to have really good adventures without your adventure buddy.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2019, 20:40 Burrito of Peace

We're getting a cold front on Thursday night. It ought to drop the temp down to an astonishingly frigid 65 degrees.

I am so tired of living here.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2019, 15:03 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 14:04:
Talk about a self-entitled narcissist. I think Musk should be compelled to undergo a psychiatric evaluation and treatment.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 4, 2019, 14:21 Burrito of Peace

My favorite was the teaser "You can reinstall from the cloud!" Yeah, like that's faster than a USB stick or that everyone has both a fast enough and stable enough broadband connection to do so. If they have broadband at all.

But it's Microsoft...they just can't stop fucking that chicken.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 4, 2019, 08:54 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 07:48:
The only way to stop them is to severely overstep boundaries and not only lock their devices down but closely monitor them.

Not necessarily the "only way". Network level capture and monitoring would give you all the information you needed. Sure, they could resort to a VPN but you can block access to those IPs and/or namespaces at the network level as well. Pretty much any home router supports at least some of these features to some degree.

If you found objectionable traffic/content, sit down and have an actual face to face talk without resorting to emotional bullshit like being angry and yelling.

If you don't trust your kids, you have fucked up as a parent. Sure, they're going to make mistakes but you should expect them to and given them the opportunity to correct those mistakes. Moreover, you can't fight biology. No matter how much religious/"moral" bullshit you lade them down with, it will never overcome biology in a way that is psychologically healthy.

News Comments > Steam Controller Sold Out?

18. Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 05:55 Burrito of Peace

MeanJim wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 02:56:
You didn't spend enough time with it.

<Shrug> Steam had one chance at a first impression and they blew it. The fact that you how you hold it is non-intuitive shows that it is a poor design.

You can like it, and that's great that you do, but that doesn't change my impression of it. At this point, however, it's moot anyway since it is now a dead product with no future so I shan't be revisiting it.

News Comments > Phoenix Point Released

8. Re: Phoenix Point Released Dec 3, 2019, 19:02 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 17:55:
...it seems they had no money for decent sound effects or music.

So I have been playing it for about an hour now and I don't hear the same tinniness that the reviewer described. Since we don't know what his audio setup is, he could be playing on laptop speakers for all we know.

The audio is fine on my cans. Can't say much about the music as that is the first thing I disable in most games so I can play my own music selections.

News Comments > Steam Controller Sold Out?

7. Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 3, 2019, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

A friend of mine has one from when they were released. I was less than impressed with it. It just felt...unsatisfying in my hands. It definitely did not feel like it had the same build quality as my Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.  

20. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2019, 05:54 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 04:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:32:
Hey BoP, what is your spin on their PoP!_OS?

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion.

Because it tries too hard to be something (Windows 10) that it's not (Linux).

No, I don't care about how they have chosen to arrange the Desktop Environment. Unlike Windows, you can change and modify that entire thing as you see fit.

What I do not like is how Ubuntu lays out the system underneath. It doesn't make any reasonable sense at all. Moreover, I do not like how Canonical does updates and the lack of available packages compared to Manjaro or Fedora with RPM fusion enabled. I also dislike to get that same breadth of choice, you have to add a bunch of PPAs separately.

I wiped Pop_OS! off my new laptop and installed Manjaro which is working with all the functionality of the distro that shipped with it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:39 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 21:32:
Hey BoP, what is your spin on their PoP!_OS?

I'm going to be honest. I hate Ubuntu with a passion. I think it is a garbage distro. That being said, I think S76 did a good job of unfucking Ubuntu as best as could be expected.

One thing I really like is that all updates, firmware, drivers, OS and applications. come through the Pop_Shop which is really quite elegant.

If you don't hate Ubuntu as much as I do, then give it a shot. You might like it quite a bit.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 21:23 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 18:41:
Those are expensive and you still have to buy a separate Windows 10 license. that company will never make it /s

I know, right? They'll be going out of business any day now. Any. Day.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 19:00:
The question everyone wants to know the answer to is:
Can it run Crysis?

With a RTX 2080, I should certainly hope so! Bucktooth

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 14:40 Burrito of Peace

Picked up a new System76 laptop and a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Pro nvme drive to go in to it. Oh, and an 8qt Instapot for my mom for Christmas. That's about the only deals I took advantage of.  

News Comments > Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced

1. Re: Starship Troopers - Terran Command Announced Dec 2, 2019, 14:37 Burrito of Peace

So this looks like it is based on the movie and not the book, which is a bummer.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

1. Can you trust Google to keep your WiFi running until 2030? Dec 2, 2019, 11:08 Burrito of Peace

No. You shouldn't trust Google for a damn thing.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 2, 2019, 05:57 Burrito of Peace

I solely use DDG. I've never not found what I have been searching for, even if that is some fairly esoteric stuff.  

News Comments > New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews

2. Re: New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews Nov 25, 2019, 12:38 Burrito of Peace

So it looks like AMD is now destroying Intel in the HEDT segment. EPYC is doing well, too.

Intel is in deep shit and they've nothing in the quiver with which to answer.

3897 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >