Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Lazarus Long

Real Name Lazarus Long   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Burrito of Peace
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2004, 17:03
Total Comments 2311 (Senior)
User ID 21247

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2016, 11:17 Burrito of Peace

Bard wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 11:09:
Cloud computing is a stupid idea.

Having suffered through many migrations on customer requests to 'the cloud' it's resulted in HIGHER costs.

Cloud providers typically do not provide the administrative services customers require, and forcing administrators to use crappy web consoles of limited capability INCREASES the cost of administration, and slows down response time.

Troubleshooting issues is even worse, as the ratio of technicians to users is lower, so you lose money there from lost productivity.

God help you if a client wants to do something 'unusual'.

Then there's the security issues.
Then there's the bandwidth costs.
Then there's the slower performance.

Server hardware and storage isn't that expensive these days. Software licensing is rarely any different than the cloud version.

+1

All this plus you're wholly dependent on the provider's "security" which is completely out of your control.

Where I work now decided a couple of years back that they were going "in the cloud". Guess what we're doing now? Bringing everything back in-house with real hardware.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week
19. Re: Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 23:24 Burrito of Peace

That's disappointing to read. Thank you all for the feedback. Guess I'll wait six months to a year and pick it up.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2016, 12:41 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 11:30:
And how long before corporations get in on the action and start tracking you everywhere you go?

They already do.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2016, 11:33 Burrito of Peace

If there was only a single, solitary thing that this election taught me was just how fucked this country, the US, is. I mean, I knew it was seriously fucked before but now it's "DVDA at plaid speed" fucked.

You want to elect a businessman? Fine. History is littered with such attempts and about two of them were not corrupt. How about electing a businessperson with actual business experience instead of say, I don't know, someone propped up by their daddy whose only success is managing a brand.

News Comments > Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week
1. Re: Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 10:24 Burrito of Peace

Did anyone play the beta? How was it?  

News Comments > PDX CON 2017 Announced
2. Re: PDX CON 2017 Announced Dec 6, 2016, 13:42 Burrito of Peace

Hipster beards....hipster beards everywhere!  

News Comments > Free Stellaris DLC
4. Re: Free Stellaris DLC Dec 6, 2016, 08:28 Burrito of Peace

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 02:48:
Great game. I just wish they would add more ship types.

Take a look at the "New Ship Classes and More" mod. Plus there is the "Star Trek New Horizons" mod that adds ships from pre-TOS era all the way to TNG. Naturally, there are Mass Effect, Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek, and others ship packs.

I unabashedly and unashamedly love Stellaris. The mods on the Steam Workshop alone have expanded the game enormously. I like the More Events mod, the Civilian Trade mod, food transport mod, Beautiful Universe mod, the parts pack mod which adds something like 500 new parts that are unlockable via research (making late game research actually useful, and the rebalanced War Score mod.

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered Trailer
12. Re: Full Throttle Remastered Trailer Dec 4, 2016, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

vacs wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 17:37:
Your comment is not even remotely smart nor funny.

Nor was Double Fine's actions when fucking over customers of one of their previous titles, either.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
27. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 3, 2016, 11:52 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 02:15:
nin wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 08:55:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 03:11:
Holy shit, how the hell did I miss this was in development?!

I kickstarted the shit out of it - $245!

Seriously where do you get that kind of money?

From a paycheck, the same way I did I would imagine.

The flight jacket is pretty slick, I have to admit.

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered Trailer
10. Re: Full Throttle Remastered Trailer Dec 3, 2016, 11:49 Burrito of Peace

Oh, is Double Fine going to release this, make a couple of half-assed patches, then completely abandon this and happily fuck over the buyers?  

News Comments > Master of Orion DLC
3. Re: Master of Orion DLC Dec 2, 2016, 09:05 Burrito of Peace

I was initially excited when this game was announced and in development. I played the Hell out of the EA builds. Then Stellaris was released and it has, for me, overshadowed MoO in every way possible. I also feel that Paradox has done a much better job of listening to their playerbase and iterated faster than MoO's dev team.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
10. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 23:34 Burrito of Peace

Jesus, I am so fucking stoked for this game. Should it do well, and there's no real indication that it won't, perhaps Jordan Mechner's Mechwarrior FPS will see the light of day.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. The auction simulator they came up did excite them? Nov 30, 2016, 11:19 Burrito of Peace

No, the fat revenue stream they anticipated excited them.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support
5. Re: Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support Nov 29, 2016, 10:28 Burrito of Peace

Bundy wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 09:28:
On my last big project I worked 18 hour days, 7 days a week during the last month to hit the release deadline.

Shit like this is exactly why I quit game development for another field. "Crunch" is bullshit, a cankerous symptom of bad project management and it's through the entire industry.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 29, 2016, 08:34 Burrito of Peace

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 03:33:
Oh and what I've played of the SP is surprisingly good too, some parts are a bit hit and miss, but all in all it's great "fun". In that it's actually fun, but it's also meant to be ingested as cheap fun, tongue-in-cheek, not taking itself seriously fun.

So it's like Saints Row and MR ROBOT had a drunken hatefuck and this was the result 9 months later?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live
18. Re: No Man's Sky Foundation Update Live Nov 27, 2016, 21:58 Burrito of Peace

I love No Man's Content threads. They're always a dumpster fire.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2016, 11:44 Burrito of Peace

That was an interesting article on Oswald and one I am inclined to believe, given the facts.

It neatly puts to bed the far fetched theories like the "magic bullet" and the gunman in the sewer.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2016, 07:50 Burrito of Peace

What clint and Helf said.

I am having a blast with it. While I never played the RCT series, I certainly played the Hell out of Disney Coaster back in the day and this clearly surpasses it in every way imaginable.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2016, 12:59 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 11:36:
Maybe at least people will stop whining about the US for a few minutes now.

Unlikely. The UK is an irrelevant player on the world stage compared to the US or China.

They could make forced anal dildoing at 4pm daily compulsory and no one would give a shit if a Kardashian nip slipped in a Walmart.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 19, 2016, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

Marketing...marketing never changes.  

2311 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo