Descending
Limit Results:

174 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Lineage
Jun 13, 2004, 01:37
Re: Lineage Jun 13, 2004, 01:37
Jun 13, 2004, 01:37

Shut up, Penetrator. You don't even play Lineage 2.

Re: Lineage
Jun 13, 2004, 01:15
Re: Lineage Jun 13, 2004, 01:15
Jun 13, 2004, 01:15

What the hell are you talking about? I was never banned. You don't even know who I am.

In any case, the game's exploits (with the exception of the duping bug) were known to everyone who played on the TW and Japan betas long before the game entered retail. How do you think so many of the clans managed to get billions in adena during the first three weeks? The Grim Collector bug was just one of a few - and it wasn't fixed until the 4th week of the Open Beta - by that time, it had already been exploited.

The bugs should have been fixed long before the game went into retail - because guess what, they already were. I don't think anyone minded too much that the new features from C1 wouldn't be in, but the bug fixes should have at least been implemented. They are, after all, released (or at least they should be) in the form of upgrade modules completely separate from the features add-ons, unless NC Soft are stupid enough not to release them that way.

Needless to say, the game economy is ruined and some people are running around with 5 Samurai Katanas in their inventories these days.

As for Sieghardt not having any problems - what the hell are you smoking? It was down for almost 2 days yesterday and the day before, and the mob server was -always- going up and down in all the weeks of May, with daily resets which amounted to at least 2 lost hours every single day. I'd hardly call that smooth service, Sentinel.

I wouldn't call being banned such a bad thing in Lineage 2, either. It's like being forbidden to enter the sewers of New York City, at this point.

Moron.

Lineage
Jun 12, 2004, 15:47
Lineage Jun 12, 2004, 15:47
Jun 12, 2004, 15:47

The Chronicle 1 was supposed to be out early this month, and now it's postponed to the 28th because of poor localization. The game's been in C1 for 6 months in Korea and they're taking this long to localize it for the United States when it should have been out upon release.

It's just another one of NCSoft Austin's attempts to keep milking the players for their monthly fee. Is it any surprise that this update comes out on the 28th, on the exact same day that the game was released? It's funny, because players are paying to play the beta version at the moment, and the servers are down for 12 hours a day, especially Sieghardt, which has been down for the better part of the week.

Reimbursements like free days in EQ? No such thing here.
This comment was edited on Jun 12, 15:50.

I am so hyped
Jun 12, 2004, 15:46
I am so hyped Jun 12, 2004, 15:46
Jun 12, 2004, 15:46

I am so hyped about this game. It's going to blow Stalker away! W00H00.

Gabe is a happy man
Jun 10, 2004, 20:33
Gabe is a happy man Jun 10, 2004, 20:33
Jun 10, 2004, 20:33

Gabe Newell is going to have some extra fried chicken to celebrate the arrests tonight.

Gabe is quickly becoming the industry's largest developer, never having missed any of the company luncheons.

Re: What is with the colons?
Jun 10, 2004, 20:29
Re: What is with the colons? Jun 10, 2004, 20:29
Jun 10, 2004, 20:29

Oh, I'm pretty sure they showed it. I saw an Italian TV recording of it - pretty sweet stuff. Sam Fisher can slice through thin paper sheets (like those Japanese doors and indoor walls), kick down doors violently, pull people's feet from balconies, do all sorts of climbing and crawling, and in multiplayer - two agents can help each other to climb things, or even pull off that thing with the hanging-on-the-wire thingy in the vault room in Mission Impossible.

Re: GCII is a bad game
Jun 10, 2004, 14:24
Re: GCII is a bad game Jun 10, 2004, 14:24
Jun 10, 2004, 14:24

How is it cool if it's scripted and way too easy?

GCII is a bad game
Jun 10, 2004, 07:53
GCII is a bad game Jun 10, 2004, 07:53
Jun 10, 2004, 07:53

I don't.

If the demo is any indication of the game's final state, then I'm sad to say that the state of the game is in is, frankly, garbage.

When I first heard the announcement of GCII, I was expecting a game with the same form of gameplay as the original Ground Control, with its squads and so forth. GCII, as it is, bears little resemblence to the original game. First off, squads don't exist anymore and units are controlled individually (a la C&C), but you can only select 16 units at a time (a la StarCraft) and the fact that you'll be watching over 50 units at any given time will cause a lot of confusion.

One of the things I liked about Ground Control were the squads. You could select a few squads at a time and there wouldn't be any hassle whatsoever in doing so. The fact that you could name your squads and they could get medals (though they did not affect gameplay whatsoever) throughout the game's campaign lent the game a lot of feeling of uniqueness.

Another problem with the sequel is the existence of 'secondary mode' which turns some of your units (especially rocket soldiers) into walking powerhouses. Superweapons existed in the original GC but there was a limit to how many times you could use them (1-3 times). There's no question that multiplayer games in GCII will come down to who can click the secondary mode the fastest.

In the original game, you only had a limited number of units per mission which you selected for your dropship before the mission started. Not so in GCII, you can summon reinforcements at any given moment to drop zones provided you have the resource points to do so, so it's really not that much different than games like C&C with its unit factories. Resource points are gained simply by being in control of a dropzone or mission critical point. They generate an infinite amount of points so the single player missions will probably come down to holding down the fort until you can afford as many units as you can get to overrun the enemy.

To add insult to injury, the game's AI is practically nonexistent. Enemies stand in the spot as they are attacked by mortar fire from over 3 screens away (you heard right, artillery is more powerful than ever) or they're sniped down by a group of several Raptor snipers. What's even more ridiculous is how snipers can take out armored turrets faster than any other unit, including tanks (hoverdynes).

All in all, the game is a bust and it's even a step back from the original C&C, much less RTS games released today. Your units don't even go into a prone/crawl position or even scatter when they're hit by incoming fire. There's no command to scatter, either - and formations are terribly buggy (in the final beta before the game was announced gold) and don't always work.

I'd just stave off on buying this title and wait for WH40K: Dawn of War, or buy a cheaper, but much better game like Blitzkrieg: Burning Horizon instead. That game looks good, sounds good, plays good, and offers all the tactical options you'd expect in a good RTS, unlike GCII here.

As I said before, it's 'dumbed down' compared to the original C&C - that says a lot.

edit: The game is completely scripted, and it's not even scripted properly. How exciting! Features implemented into the RTS industry years ago, like finding research upgrades, unit enhancements, hero units (WC3, WH40K), squads (GC1, Blitzkrieg, Total War games), unit customization (WH40K, Earth 2150, WZ2100 had this) and a bunch of other well-established features are apparently unknown to the people at Massive Entertainment.

Perhaps those features would make the game 'too complex' for their target audience. I wonder who their target audience is: 9 year olds? Even that Homeworld ripoff by Disney had more features, and it was targetted to kids.

Oh yeah, have you guys ever seen the GUI? It fills up half the screen, needlessly too.
This comment was edited on Jun 10, 08:00.

Stupid bug in their code
Jun 10, 2004, 07:37
Stupid bug in their code Jun 10, 2004, 07:37
Jun 10, 2004, 07:37

Yeah, I was looking around early yesterday and I can verify that there is indeed a damn bug in their activeX code as a previous poster below posted.

I think they fixed it, though. It's working for me now.

Re: A whole new audience
Jun 5, 2004, 19:01
Re: A whole new audience Jun 5, 2004, 19:01
Jun 5, 2004, 19:01

The last UFO game wasn't even based off the license (A UFO license does not exist. The X-Com IP is owned by Sid Meier and Firaxis). Mythos sold off what they had because development of the game was almost nonexistent.

In any case, I don't see the relevence. Paradise Cracked was by no means a 'bad' title. Its largest flaw was the fact that the entire game was set in turn-based, with no real time during non-combat intervals. I'm sure they've learned their lesson by now, and in any case their latest game "Power of Law" is coming out pretty fine.

As far as I know, Strategy First absorbed most of the Sir Tech team which developed Jagged Alliance 2, and from what I understand, the team is working very closely with MiSTLand in the development of all three upcoming titles. You should know that the Sir-Tech team which developed Jagged Alliance 2 also developed Disciples II internally at Strategy First.

Re: A whole new audience
Jun 5, 2004, 18:38
Re: A whole new audience Jun 5, 2004, 18:38
Jun 5, 2004, 18:38

You are completely over your head with this.

I'm unable to find the criteria to decide whether you're just a pirate trying to find an excuse to justify your actions or if you're just trying to play a devil's advocate here for one reason or another.

Each Looking Glass, Dynamix and Westwood Studios were shut down for a variety of reasons, and none of those reasons were because their jobs had been outsourced to Russian developers. From what I know, most of them (with the exception of Dynamix) had already broken away from their parent companies to venture out on their own before they actually shut down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Looking Glass shut down because it didn't make any profits? Dynamix shut down due to a sudden 'restructuring' of Sierra when it was taken over by Havas Interactive; others affected were the entire Sierra Adventure Team (including the well respected Al Lowe, creator of the Leisure Suit Larry series) and several other groups. Over 130 people lost their jobs that day and none of it had to do with getting cheaper developers. I'd hardly term Relic Entertainment or Blizzard Entertainment 'cheap, cost effective' developers.

Westwood was shut down in the same way Bullfrog was, and more recently Origin Studios, as a part of Electronic Arts' on-going plan to centralize their business. Many of the employees actually stuck around, while the people like Ed Del Castillo and Brett Sperry left long before any of that happened.

Now, concerning the subject at hand: I certainly don't think that MiST land intends to develop these games for the console, as they have proven themselves as a pro-PC company with expertise in turn-based strategy gameplay; exactly the criteria you'd expect from the next developers of both the Jagged Alliance and Disciples series. Granted, their first title wasn't all that - but I'm quite certain that RPG legend Richard Garriot's first Ultima game wasn't all that perfect, either - and neither were his last few games.

I'm not sure what you're worrying about. If anything, Russia has proven itself capable enough of delivering good games - some even better than those made in America and England; Silent Storm, for example. The difference between most European developers and American ones is the fact that the European ones tend to be down to earth and realistic, unlike their American counterparts, some of whom seem to think that the computer industry is Hollywood and regard themselves as actors and stars, lest you forget the John Romero 'suck it down' debacle, or the 'Next Gaming Gods' nonsense perpetrated by PC Gamer US.

Re: Heh...
Jun 5, 2004, 06:46
Re: Heh... Jun 5, 2004, 06:46
Jun 5, 2004, 06:46

Nah. The more hardcore of us (myself, Saint Prov, Killzig, the DAC crew) aren't even interested in a sequel to FO3. I can't speak for everyone, but frankly the core of us don't even want to see another sequel to FO. The IP has been beaten to death pretty much, and it's about time the rest of the fans moved on to something else. Fallout 1 and 2 were great, so let's leave it at that. I don't know how interesting yet another sequel in the same setting could be, which the previous games have not already covered.

Personally, I'd like a fresh setting with the role-playing nuances of Fallout.

Good riddance
Jun 5, 2004, 06:43
Good riddance Jun 5, 2004, 06:43
Jun 5, 2004, 06:43

Well, good riddance to that. As for the employees sticking around (read the stuff on OC Register), what a bunch of noobs. Steve "Decamber" Jobes, I'm talking about you.

Re: Anyone else see a problem with this?
Jun 2, 2004, 01:51
Re: Anyone else see a problem with this? Jun 2, 2004, 01:51
Jun 2, 2004, 01:51

Crap. Does anyone else find it funny that they would take a known isometric puzzle/squad-based game franchise and turn it into yet another MOHAA/Call of Duty ripoff that's for the console only? I call it 'console only' because as far as I'm concerned, the PC version is probably just a horrible port to keep the less-than-hardcore fans of the game quiet before the game's release.

174 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older