Descending
Limit Results:

77 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: On the bright side
Aug 13, 2005, 01:29
Re: On the bright side Aug 13, 2005, 01:29
Aug 13, 2005, 01:29

On the bright side... this could work out well for mod developers.

BTW the article's method for avoiding adverts is easily bypassed by variations in the initial xml handshake data.

The problem with this I think would be that the creative freedom for the individual would no doubt be lessened. Mod creators would begin to try and put more exclusivity on their work (anyone remember when CS didn't "allow" custom maps?), whether by the company paying for the ad's command or their own.

After all, what's the point of putting advertising in the game if everyone's going to run out and use custom models and maps anyway?

Orb
Aug 7, 2005, 15:42
Orb Aug 7, 2005, 15:42
Aug 7, 2005, 15:42

In the old days, there was an "RTS" of sorts that was one of the first persistent online games of its time called Orb. It was an excellent and extremely addictive game, and if Ballerium pulls off anything similar to that, then I'm definitely in.

Bully
Aug 4, 2005, 13:56
Bully Aug 4, 2005, 13:56
Aug 4, 2005, 13:56

Rockstar.. rockstar.. I love you, man, but come on. A bullying game? For christ's sake..

Jul 29, 2005, 12:32
2001 Jul 29, 2005, 12:32
Jul 29, 2005, 12:32

Interesting flash animation.. but goddamn they made some terribly annoying sound effect choices.

But as a whole, this interpretation of the movie is a lot simpler than I had always thought of it as. Kind of disillusioning, really, but they're probably right. It's more fun to think of Kubrick as being the ultimate genius and having some intense, profound meaning behind every little thing, though.

The Nonexistant Hack
Jul 26, 2005, 17:06
The Nonexistant Hack Jul 26, 2005, 17:06
Jul 26, 2005, 17:06

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the fact that EA has completely dodged the "hack" issue. They don't mention once that it was actually somebody that hacked into the BF2 stats system and changed them, they just said it was a "root issue".

I probably would've done the same in EA's position, as it would just give more notoriety to the hacker, and that's exactly what he wants.

Posts Jul 26, 2005, 07:29
Jul 26, 2005, 07:29

I was hoping to see some posts about, like, the morality of hacking in situations like this, or maybe an observation on EA's reaction to the hack. You know, things that matter. Rather than it getting boiled down to the base topic of BF2/EA, with tired arguments that everybody's already heard. Apparently I overestimated.

My first impression of the EA response was that the hacker(s) were simply on an egotrip to show their skill, but after reading through the original thread, it appears that the hackers had already tried repeatedly to contact EA and notify them of the security hole, only to get ignored. In that case, the EA representative ("ben") could've definitely been a bit more hospitable concerning the fact that the entire thing is pretty reversable, and it could've been much, much worse if the information about the hole was actually released to the public.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 07:30.

Re: No subject
Jul 22, 2005, 18:31
Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 18:31
Jul 22, 2005, 18:31

Can Jack Thompson show that's the case? Where are the game sites that say that the Sims 2 "contains, according to video game news sites, full frontal nudity, including nipples, penises, labia, and pubic hair."

I have no clue what "game news sites" he's been checking, but what happened with his accusation is this: He goes to google, types "SIMS 2 SEX", sees the "Censor Remover", and proceeds to go ape shit (possibly destroying much of the furniture in his house in the process).

AKA, he didn't do any research on the matter, and made a bullshit accusation. Then EA shot it down, and he tried to save face by saying it doesn't matter if you can see the genitals or not.

EA won. This story is done, and hopefully Jack Thompson is too.

Yes
Jul 22, 2005, 18:15
Yes Jul 22, 2005, 18:15
Jul 22, 2005, 18:15

The sex and the nudity are in the game. That's the point. The blur is an admission that even the 'Ken and Barbie' features should not be displayed. The blur can be disarmed. This is no different than what is in San Andreas, although worse.

Wow. I can't fucking believe this guy. Well at least now we know for sure that he's just in it for the publicity, because he sure as hell ain't in it for honest protection of moral values.

He might as well go after the entire line of Barbie and Ken dolls, because when you take off the clothes, guess what; Oh no! There's a smooth, mannaquin-esque surface waiting to be fondled by 8 year old boys and girls around the world! It's a travesty!

This guy needs to be put in jail for wasting America's time.

Firefox
Jul 20, 2005, 16:47
Firefox Jul 20, 2005, 16:47
Jul 20, 2005, 16:47

I'm still upset at Firefox's handling of the download manager. I don't understand why, at version 1.0.5, it insists on completely locking up Firefox for at least 30 seconds everytime I want to download a file or image. I've heard other people with the same issue. Why is this so difficult to fix?

Re: Who cares?
Jun 26, 2005, 16:23
Re: Who cares? Jun 26, 2005, 16:23
Jun 26, 2005, 16:23

Good game (during the 1% of the time you can actually play without lag) but the only thing that bothers me is the lack of interactivity...in BF1942 you could drive the aircraft carrier around, etc

That brings up something I wanted to find out about.. what the hell happened to Naval combat? I didn't keep up with any of the BF2 previews while it was in development, but I had the assumption that they would at least have all of the core features that were in BF1942. I always wanted them to expand on submarine combat in particular, rather than completely get rid of it.

This makes me wonder if there is still the capability for creating mobile spawn points.

First Impressions
Jun 19, 2005, 00:07
First Impressions Jun 19, 2005, 00:07
Jun 19, 2005, 00:07

The design looks nice, and there's certainly a lot of bloom, but I had a couple problems with it in the time that I played, which granted, wasn't very long.

On recommended settings (as opposed to the maxed settings I usually run HL2 on, and smoothly, I might add), it ran horribly. Didn't check the exact FPS, but my guess is that it was running at anywhere between 5-10. And, because this mod seems to require a lot of control precision (picking up objects while dodging monster attacks, jumping puzzles, etc), this definitely gets in the way.

Second; Maybe I'm just an impatient guy, maybe my expectations for any and all things HL2 are too high, but the game failed to even remotely grab me from the beginning. No story introduction, no real reason for anything is given, other than that your hero spawns at a magic circle and has to run around picking up journals. I understand that alot of games like to reveal small bits of storyline as the game progresses, but I just gotta have some kind of hook that keeps me going, or else I'm just going to lose interest, which happened very quickly in this.

In the very first battle, trying to pick out little bricks and boards to throw while simultaneously running in circles to avoid getting killed, all in 5 FPS speeds.. not fun.

But meh, it's free. What can I say. The music sounds professionally done. The models look nice. Most of the sound effects are good, although oddly, things like the "Use" sound effect still have that same computerized-sounding "boop" from regular HL2, which kind of takes you out of the situation and reminds you that you're just playing a mod.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, and I'm sure I'll probably take a second look at it later on, but that's my first impression, and I'm already bored. :/

Best
Jun 3, 2005, 15:13
Best Jun 3, 2005, 15:13
Jun 3, 2005, 15:13

In my opinion, M59 is still the best MMO that's ever been made. And almost precisely because it's not massive. You'll never find a more tight knit community than the one on a 200-player capacity server.

I am not surprised at all that it's still in business.

No subject
Feb 2, 2005, 11:36
No subject Feb 2, 2005, 11:36
Feb 2, 2005, 11:36

Dark Forces was great.
Jedi Academy sucked.

And this game needs more bass.

That's all I have to say 'bout that.

Re: Hah.
Jan 31, 2005, 15:42
Re: Hah. Jan 31, 2005, 15:42
Jan 31, 2005, 15:42

bunching up players in one area like that unbalances the server load and causes problems. Most players know this and thats why they start "protests" like that. Bascially its childish crap and I enjoy seeing people getting suspended, even for 3 hours. What about others on the server who aren't warrior class but are effected by these idiots? Don't they have a right to enjoy the fruits of their paid account as well? If theres an issue keep taking it to the forums, keep it in the public eye on web pages etc, screwing up someone elses game isn't the way to go (IMHO of course)

The issue is the fact that there were what, maybe 50-100 people at this "protest", and WoW doesn't support that?

What about a guild meeting, or a raid organization? Can the server not handle that either? Is this considered an "exploit" (along with just about 95% of every other possible action in the game), and will all the people involved be banned (I've heard of entire guilds being banned for less)? Shit, I'm not as worried about the people in the protest itself as I am about Blizzard being so quick to ban for ridiculous reasons. I seriously do not believe that their intentions were even to crash the server, exception being for the very few who were purposefully AoE spamming.

This on top of Blizzards ridiculous name policy controversies. The fact that, because Blizzard is having "issues" with the guild renaming system, any guild with a name that any pothead GM next-door thinks is crappy will be COMPLETELY DELETED? Tell me somebody else sees something wrong with this kind of behaviour on behalf of Blizzard.

Hah.
Jan 31, 2005, 10:44
Hah. Jan 31, 2005, 10:44
Jan 31, 2005, 10:44

I'm getting more and more surprised by the boldness of Blizzard's GM's in WoW. There's a lot of supression going on. Who are they to suspend paying customers accounts because they're having a get together, no matter what the purpose is? As far as I can tell, the majority of them were simply there for a gathering, and maybe 2 were attempting to AoE spam.

Bad call on Blizzard's part. Just another bad call on the growing list of many.

Blah.
Jan 30, 2005, 04:42
Blah. Jan 30, 2005, 04:42
Jan 30, 2005, 04:42

The new trilogy could have blinded God with magnificence while handing out free blowjobs and people would have not liked it.

Lies.

I walked into the first midnight showing of Episode 1 expecting magnificence. What I got was mediocrity. I walked into Episode 2 with hope. What I got was complete trash.

Lucasarts has been doing well, I have no complaints with it. However, I would put quite a large sum of money on a bet that Lucas himself probably has little to no involvement with these games that have become succesful, other than cashing in on the profits.

Not even going to begin on my resentment of the "remakes" of the original trilogy.

The anger at Lucas is well-deserved.

And I loved the original Sam & Max.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 04:46.

Jan 11, 2005, 22:04
Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 22:04
Jan 11, 2005, 22:04

I just doubled my RAM and upgraded to an 800XT recently, and gave EQ2 another test (before my cancellation takes effect at the end of the month), and, surprise surprise, it still runs like shit.

Maybe when Sony makes a game that's playable in this decade, I'll give it a try. Until then, hello WoW.

Dec 16, 2004, 18:54
Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 18:54
Dec 16, 2004, 18:54

V: You know what they call Space Hack in the UK?

J: They don't call it Space Hack?

V: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Space Hack is.

J: Then what do they call it?

V: They call it "Maximus XV Abraham Strong Space Mercenary".

J: WTF?

I totally envision this in a Cheech & Chong movie.

Re: Does this use Starforce?
Dec 15, 2004, 03:43
Re: Does this use Starforce? Dec 15, 2004, 03:43
Dec 15, 2004, 03:43

Please god, don't tell me people are going to start defending protection programs like this one now. I'm sorry, but shitty, intrusive, fuck-up-your-system protection software most definitely warrants a personal boycott of the games using it. What ends up happening is that the legitimate, real customers who pay their money for the game will always be the ones getting fucked over by this type of software.

The hackers out there have absolutely no difficulty getting past this software and releasing it to thousands.

Dec 2, 2004, 16:04
Re: No subject Dec 2, 2004, 16:04
Dec 2, 2004, 16:04

show me ANYONE who's done two lines and stopped for the day.

Wow, I could show you quite a few people.

77 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older